Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Stiff Competition

Two things:

1) Baby Gemma is cuttteeee. 

2) I really adored Liza's outfit when they were in the office talking about the female composer. I'd wear it in a heartbeat, which is surprising. 

3) (I lied) The competition is boring and I sorta don't care about Charles. How has he gotten more boring since leaving the main publisher. He's just flour. 

• Love 4

I didn't find the competition cute or sexy or interesting. I didn't like it when it was happening between Kelsey and Zane in previous seasons and I don't like it now between Charles and Liza. It's somehow both annoying and boring.

I hate that Charles is guilt tripping Liza about Mercury and making her keep more secrets. Oh boo hoo, you might lose everything! Well, no one told you to mortgage your townhouse to start a competing business. He could have sought out investors first (instead of starting Mercury and hoping that signing someone big would land him investors). It's not Liza's or Millennial's fault that he decided to risk his house to start a new company.

I am not a fan of people who pimp their kids on IG and other social media to score free stuff so I was hoping that Josh would stick to his guns and tell Lauren to stop using Gemma for marketing purposes.

The best part of the entire episode was the necklace conversation with Enzo and Diana!

• Love 14
(edited)

I had to laugh at Kelsey's floating head, it felt as if the writers were showing shade at the wardrobe department for putting Hillary Duff in all those horrible boxy, neck-eating outfits.

The show starts to remind me of Blue Bloods when it tries to sell me the idea that NY is just an urban Walnut Groove where everybody knows everybody. Millennial and Mercury are both operating on the world's biggest publishing market - having them compete over the same handful of authors over and over again makes little sense. Even in the bubble that is NY there's got to be more choice.

And yep, the competition plot is getting boring. I guess it's supposed to emulate classic screwball comedies but it's devoid of all the charm (and sadly sexual tension) that made those work.

Diana got the best lines and sub-plot - although her not bringing up female conductors ties to Charles when her name was first mentioned made no sense.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Diana got the best lines and sub-plot - although her not bringing up female conductors ties to Charles when her name was first mentioned made no sense.

Diana was definitely the best part of the show! And I thought that she didn't know about the conductor connection until reading the program at the venue which I assume had a bio on her. 

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, slaterain said:

Diana was definitely the best part of the show! And I thought that she didn't know about the conductor connection until reading the program at the venue which I assume had a bio on her. 

Yeah, she definitely didn't know.

Truly, thank god for Diana because whenever I hate or am bored with every other character, she's still there being a delight. (Though I was irked when they had her say she tells people Enzo's a surgeon... we already finished that arc and she's supposed to be over it.)

Charles's "no matter which house they go with, it's still all me!" Just... wow. What a tone-deaf, self-absorbed prick.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The best part of the entire episode was the necklace conversation with Enzo and Diana!

I don't know how Miriam Shor kept her head up with that gigantic pendant she was wearing! Not to mention the enormous earrings. As always, I hope the show provides her with some sort of physical therapist to get things back in alignment after wearing that stuff. Hee.

11 minutes ago, gesundheit said:

Charles's "no matter which house they go with, it's still all me!" Just... wow. What a tone-deaf, self-absorbed prick.

I still don't see how he can directly compete with another business he has a fiduciary interest in. Mercury isn't an imprint or subsidiary of Millennium, it's a completely separate entity. I also think he sucks for guilting Liza about his finances. As @ElectricBoogaloo wrote, no one forced him to mortgage his town house to the hilt. I don't know what the show is doing here.

• Love 4

If it weren't for Diana and Lauren I would seriously question why I still watch this. The show has such a weird vibe since it shifted its focus away from Liza's lie.

Diana still does not know about her age but all of a sudden treats her like an equal? And are they (Kelsey, Josh) slowly outgrowing the Millenial tag altogether? At the moment Lauren is the only one who still highlights the generation gap the most and the story with the Instababy was on point. As was Josh's change of mind regarding the free stuff.

Everything relating to Diana and jewellery was smashing. The piece she wore with the red dress was stunning.

• Love 9

Random comments:

No way would Diana's character have been so unaware of the effect of her blathering at that meeting with the Third Leg couple.

The Third Leg couple was invited for a meeting at a publisher's office, not hired to re-decorate.  So why on earth would they have renovated the conference room, which would have cost a pretty penny and taken some time to accomplish?  Yes, it was clever to mention the shiplap, since that is Joanna Gaines' obsession, but it wasn't accomplished in a way that made any sense.

No way would Charles and Liza have been so unaware of the effect of their arguing/ competition at the party, especially Liza.

No way would Liza (or anyone, for that matter, unless they were angry) wordlessly walk the other direction and silently get into a cab to leave at the end of a date with their committed SO, when their date specifically suggested what they should do next and began walking the other direction.

Kelsey's immaturity and total lack of any business sense whatsoever is something that I don't think the writers have any clue that they are portraying.  On more than one occasion, she mentioned her belief that Charles has a vendetta against "me" and wants to see "me" fail.  She is taking something personally that is almost certainly entirely business-related, and it cannot possibly help her to think clearly or rationally.

Kelsey and Diana are both brash, and if the ladies room was closed, they would have had absolutely no problem whatsoever about going into the men's room.  Diana's character would never, ever, ever pee the way she did.  But if for some weird reason she ever did, she would not be so incredibly stupid as to do it exposed to the street...Kelsey was trying to shield Diana from the passersby on that tiny narrow strip of sidewalk, but not from all the cars passing by in the actual street!!!

I could not follow at all what happened at the police station.  Had Enzo unclogged a pipe in the past, and it contained evidence that helped the police, so when he showed up there (even though she had texted Liza to come), they dropped the charges?  Did he come do something that night at the police station and they dropped the charges?  

Millenial is shown having a decent sized office and other staff.  What on earth does the staff do, if the main person trying to drum up new business is an editor FFS?

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I am not a fan of people who pimp their kids on IG and other social media to score free stuff so I was hoping that Josh would stick to his guns and tell Lauren to stop using Gemma for marketing purposes.

It seemed so out of character for Josh to have gone along with all the material-ness of that, and also to have been keeping the baby up at midnight to further those purposes.

1 hour ago, gesundheit said:

Charles's "no matter which house they go with, it's still all me!" Just... wow. What a tone-deaf, self-absorbed prick.

This also seemed out of character.  Yes it was dickish to have started the company in the first place, given the situation, but for him actually to have said the words "it's still all me" is just not something that I think Charles would ever have said.

• Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, Aulty said:

And are they (Kelsey, Josh) slowly outgrowing the Millenial tag altogether?

You're part of your generation forever, no matter how old you get.  Millennials will still be that even when they're 100.  Being a Millennial isn't a bunch of characteristics that other people say it is - being a millennial is just what those people are.  Right now, the older Millennials are going towards turning 40.

If Liza was 40 in 2015 as the show states, she is 44 now, and she's young Gen X.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

You're part of your generation forever, no matter how old you get.  Millennials will still be that even when they're 100.  Being a Millennial isn't a bunch of characteristics that other people say it is - being a millennial is just what those people are.  Right now, the older Millennials are going towards turning 40.

If Liza was 40 in 2015 as the show states, she is 44 now, and she's young Gen X.

You are right of course, my comment made no sense in that regard 🙂 Its more that they are just aging out of their early to mid twenties and that their focus has shifted. Lauren, as per her job, is keeping the trendy, hip stereotypes alive that Liza, in the early seasons, had to pick up to keep her lie going.

On another note: Nice timing on the Lion King dig with the popularity matrix.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 2

I bet they didn't expect the show to last THIS long.  It's shocking.  6 seasons.  Still Hilary Duff is only 31 in real life, not heading towards Liza's original age in season 1 yet.  But you make a good point.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I thought she was only supposed to be 41 or 42? Can't remember which. She definitely hasn't aged one-per-season, though. (Of course, the timeline's generally a mess.)

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Something in the sense ... "I don't need another necklace, I just want to be with you.....   Did I just really say that?" That was a great delivery!:)

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, gesundheit said:

(Though I was irked when they had her say she tells people Enzo's a surgeon... we already finished that arc and she's supposed to be over it.)

That really, really, really bothered me.  When the writers present us with something, namely an entire arc where Diana is coming to terms with that and not only accepting him in his profession but embracing it, then they can't go undo that with a throwaway line, because it invalidates the entire 'contract' of this show.  Unless we are intentionally presented with little hints and clues to make us question a character, then we have to take the characters at face value.  The writers intentionally wrote so as to redeem her snobbishness, and have us be invested in their relationship, and then they put her snobbishness right back again and tear down the relationship, and the fact that it was such a throwaway line makes me think that the writers think that the audience is stupid.  Now with Enzo's plumber-ness having saved the day, are we to think that Diana is placated for a little while through his deed (but not because of who he actually is as a person), until she reverts back to form?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Aulty said:

Everything relating to Diana and jewellery was smashing. The piece she wore with the red dress was stunning.

That red dress was gorgeous too! It looked great on her and didn't seem too old lady or too "Liza pretending she's 10-15 years younger." I wish they would dress Diana in more pieces like that.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

That really, really, really bothered me.  When the writers present us with something, namely an entire arc where Diana is coming to terms with that and not only accepting him in his profession but embracing it, then they can't go undo that with a throwaway line, because it invalidates the entire 'contract' of this show.  Unless we are intentionally presented with little hints and clues to make us question a character, then we have to take the characters at face value.  The writers intentionally wrote so as to redeem her snobbishness, and have us be invested in their relationship, and then they put her snobbishness right back again and tear down the relationship, and the fact that it was such a throwaway line makes me think that the writers think that the audience is stupid.  Now with Enzo's plumber-ness having saved the day, are we to think that Diana is placated for a little while through his deed (but not because of who he actually is as a person), until she reverts back to form?

Seriously, all they had to do to still use that "punchline" was have her say that's what she used to tell people Enzo did for a living. Boom, done.

I have that issue with this show a lot -- they come up with some bit they think is hilarious and just can't let it go, but with the tiniest tweak they could still use that exact bit without sacrificing the characters or stories they've been trying to sell us.

• Love 6
(edited)

Everyone's decision making is frustrating on so many levels.

If Charles wasn't ready to give up his life in publishing to be with Liza then why leave the company? As others have mentioned, he could've sold Millenial and started Mercury OR he could've let Liza leave Empirical like she has tried to at least twice over the last seven seasons in order to be together. He keeps saying he's taken a big risk dropping everything to be with her and that it was worth the rift he's caused with everyone else yet still wants to have his cake and eat it too. And he has the nerve to ask if he's competing with Josh just because he saw them sitting next to each other? Boy BYE!

If I was Kelsey, I'd be questioning Liza's loyalty also (from a business perspective) if only because the conflict of interest is just too high and I'd actively pursue a lawsuit. What's even more grating is that Charles has made Liza an ethical liability for her job and he doesn't seem to care. Liza wants to please everyone without realizing how culpable he's making her (until the end of this episode at least). Thank goodness for Diana or Empirical would tank. 

The entire baby Instagram storyline was cringeworthy - was that their way of portraying hipster parenthood? 

Edited by Eri
  • Love 3
On 7/18/2019 at 8:54 AM, dubbel zout said:

I don't know how Miriam Shor kept her head up with that gigantic pendant she was wearing! Not to mention the enormous earrings. As always, I hope the show provides her with some sort of physical therapist to get things back in alignment after wearing that stuff. Hee.

I still don't see how he can directly compete with another business he has a fiduciary interest in. Mercury isn't an imprint or subsidiary of Millennium, it's a completely separate entity. I also think he sucks for guilting Liza about his finances. As @ElectricBoogaloo wrote, no one forced him to mortgage his town house to the hilt. I don't know what the show is doing here.

Did you see the giant ring she was wearing on her right hand in that same scene? That was a lot of large jewelry at once. I strangely loved that necklace though. 

I’m surprised Charles didn’t have a non-compete clause that would have prevented this from happening.  It’s a huge conflict of interest. At the very least, he should be required to sell his remaining shares in Millennial. 

• Love 1
On 7/18/2019 at 1:24 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

What the hell is going on with this show?

I probably ask myself this question once a season, and now is that time.

I know, I agree with everything people are complaining about here.  Are there completely new writers that just came here from another planet?  Or are they little children with no understanding of anything in the adult world?  Nothing is remotely realistic anymore.  The weird, out of character decisions, "business" situations that either would never happen that way or are legally ill advised just irk me no end.  The competition Charles has set up between him and Millennial is dumb and very uncomfortable to watch.  And the fact that Liza has even attempted to tolerate him at functions like in this episode is completely ridiculous.

30 minutes ago, Angeleyes said:

I’m surprised Charles didn’t have a non-compete clause that would have prevented this from happening.  It’s a huge conflict of interest. At the very least, he should be required to sell his remaining shares in Millennial. 

A very good point.  If he is supposedly still behind Millennial in some sense why would he even want to be in competition with himself?  Again it all makes absolutely no sense.

• Love 2
On 7/22/2019 at 1:47 AM, morakot said:

These last two episodes have not made me like Charles any better, I keep waiting to see what the show wants me to see in him and I can't.

Same.  I'm thinking they're moving toward making Charles unlikeable so Liza can get back together with Josh in the end (otherwise - what is the point of having Josh on the show anymore?).

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, RealityCreator said:

Same.  I'm thinking they're moving toward making Charles unlikeable so Liza can get back together with Josh in the end (otherwise - what is the point of having Josh on the show anymore?).

I think the point of having Josh (or either of them) around is to create that ol' romantic triangle with all its related tension over which one she'll end up with, etc.  Otherwise there would be no drama anymore.  We don't even have the drama of her real age being found out anymore (except for Diana).  If Josh or anyone (or thing) for that matter wasn't a threat to Liza and Charles' relationship we'd all be falling asleep.  Not that we aren't already based on how poorly they've handled the characters, but that's another story.  I don't know if at this point we can psych the show out about which one (if any of them) they intend to be endgame.  

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 2

I just went to an axe throwing place the other day, so I loved seeing one pop up here! On the other hand, Charles and Liza competing while Charles whines about how he might lose everything while scoping deals from his girlfriend isn’t fun. 

I didn't need the whole sexy (??) competition but I appreciated that instead of just being mad, Liza decided to raise her game to compete with Charles. Unlike Kelsey who just whines that everyone is taking her toys like she's entitled to everything without having to work for it. I'm surprised they didn't get anything more compelling out of Meg Wolitzer considering she wrote The Wife.

There are some VERY toxic HGTV couples so I wasn't sure where they'd be going with these characters. Is no one going to tell them Third Leg is a horrible title?

"The thing is Enzo... they choose me." Diana being self-aware about her statement necklaces is one of the few things I love about late season Younger.

I feel like there was a time everything Charles did was dreamy and now everything he does is wrong. Why did the writers put them together if they were just going to do this?

On 7/18/2019 at 1:26 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Good point about being a millennial. I didn't really understand what a millennial was until recently, after I chatted with someone whose career coaching practice is geared toward millennials. I thought she was a few years older than me and it turns out she's a few years younger than me and is technically a millennial. But of course, I put my foot in my mouth and asked what made her decide to work with millennials. 

On 7/18/2019 at 4:09 PM, gesundheit said:

I thought she was only supposed to be 41 or 42? Can't remember which. She definitely hasn't aged one-per-season, though. (Of course, the timeline's generally a mess.)

I was a little younger than Liza when the show started but now it seems like we're the same age. Wonky timeline for sure.