Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E14: The Trouble With The Curve

Miles reconnects with his high school baseball teammate, Cal, when he gets a friend suggestion for a promising young baseball player who Cal is coaching. Also, Arthur feels territorial when he’s informed that the Diocese is sending an assistant rector to mentor under him.

For the next episode, episode 14: The Trouble with the Curve.

• Useful 1

Liked the episode.  Huge minor league baseball fan, so that was fun.  Worried about the dad, because it sounds like he may be pushed out.  Or he may be promoted to a diocesan office.  And glad the coding went well!

• Love 4
On 2/10/2019 at 7:46 PM, saoirse said:

episode 14: The Trouble with the Curve.

Watching this show is reminiscent of my physical relationship with my ex: It always started out trite, corny, and unbelievable, but it always had a feel-good ending. Sorry if TMI. Anyway, I figured out nearly 30 years ago I'd rather watch shows like this than be married, LOL.

• Love 6

Smash Williams is the assistant priest! I don't think I've seen Gaius Charles in anything aside from a guest spot on SVU since Friday Night Lights ended.

A management position without the ability to fire isn't actually a management position so that's bullshit for Rakesh, but I'm glad he found a way around that. I find it a bit hard to believe that everyone on the team would go along with that - I doubt all of them would be that invested in the other guy getting promoted.

Cara's red coat was gorgeous. I coveted it!

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 8

I love this show.  One of the things I notice is the use of light, prisms and glares it the show.  Most series try to eliminate them but this show seems to embrace them. 

This episode was interesting on a personal level for me. A family friend was the head coach of a major university who coached many major leaguers, his opinion was if you get drafted out of high school in the first round, take the go, most likely you won’t get drafted higher after college and college will always be there. Any other round, go to school. You have just as much chance of getting hurt in college as in the minors. 

Most took his advice, the ones that didn’t never went in round 1 after playing in college. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Smash Williams is the assistant priest! I don't think I've seen Gaius Charles in anything aside from a guest spot on SVU since Friday Night Lights ended

He went to theology college after FNL and didn't act for awhile. He was on Grey's Anatomy for a couple of seasons afterwards. Its great to see him here. I'm interested to see how it all plays out.

I'm really enjoying this show. I never expected to like it and now I look forward to it every week.

• Love 5

The intricacies of baseball drafting are as arcane to me as hacker-lingo but I still enjoyed this episode.

I wonder what assistant priest's reaction will be once he stumbles across Miles' podcast.

And for those of us paying attention to fashion - the show made it finally to worn on tv

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Empress1 said:

A management position without the ability to fire isn't actually a management position so that's bullshit for Rakesh, but I'm glad he found a way around that. I find it a bit hard to believe that everyone on the team would go along with that - I doubt all of them would be that invested in the other guy getting promoted.

Yeah, those IT folks would have to really like the guy that was passed over to go along with that. And he didn't seem all that likable. I would think most people in a company that was just sold would be afraid of losing their job and want to impress.

I also don't see what would stop Rakesh from going to his boss/HR and saying his staff is insubordinate and lazy. Even if he can't fire anyone, surely he would be involved in reviewing their performance?

But good for him for winning their respect the way he did.

• Love 6

It feels like its been forever, it sucks so much that we have to miss another week next week. I love the Oscars, but I feel like we were just reunited with this show!

Another good episode, it took lots of turns that I did and didnt expect, but I liked how things winded up. It was also nice getting some more backstory for Miles, I hope that we see his high school friend from time to time, or he mentioned hanging out with him again. Its so sad that their friendship fell apart because his friend couldn't accept the truth, and was so bitter he refused to see that Miles probably had a point. I know very little about baseball drafting, so it was interesting to get a glimpse into that world, and it was fun seeing Miles do something else that he loves.

Gaius Charles! So great seeing him on my television again! I am really interested in him meeting Miles eventually, and seeing what he thinks about the God Account. I think he could bring another interesting view into things, I kind of wonder if he and Arthur could bond, and Miles might get kind of jealous? Like this was the son his dad wanted all along? Of course, now it looks like Joe might be forced out or kicked upstairs to make room for the young, cool guy...

Rakesh could have simply called HR, or given everyone terrible performances reviews (which they would deserve) but I like that he earned their respect in a code off instead! Probably a better way to get computer people to like you.

• Love 4

I was waiting for this show to bring in the relationship between science and religion as it looked like it was going in that direction, and this week we got the assistant priest, who it seems is coming from that perspective.  I especially loved that he said he didn't see a conflict between the two because that's my personal opinion after studying the subject.  I don't doubt that the assistant priest will figure into the discussion about the God account in the future.  I have posted previously on how I think the truth about the God account will not offend either science or religion, but be a perfect harmony of the two somehow.  I look forward to the ingenious way the show will accomplish that.

4 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Yeah, those IT folks would have to really like the guy that was passed over to go along with that. And he didn't seem all that likable. I would think most people in a company that was just sold would be afraid of losing their job and want to impress.

I didn't find that segment all that believable.  I've worked with IT people in big companies and even if they were sympathetic to this guy and each other they certainly wouldn't let that be known to someone that supervises them.  Rakesh acted like he was powerless and all alone, and that if he told his superiors it would only look bad on him.  Not if he presented it the way it went down.  Management usually sticks up for the manager in situations like that.  That's his lack of confidence talking, not reality.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I especially loved that he said he didn't see a conflict between the two because that's my personal opinion after studying the subject.

I love the bit about "science explains the how; religion deals with the why".  The laws of science don't care about anything except what immediately impacts them (distance from a gravitational center, the coefficient of friction, the amount of vacuum in a sealed system, etc. On the other hand, it really doesn't matter that much how something happens through religion, whether it's angels, saints, djinns or karma / dharma.

• Love 5

Kyle learns that the kid is planning to sign and he wonders why the kid he told his mother that he was going to go to college and now is going pro. This happens after the kid was given the royal treatment at that club.

Then the two friends go to Yankee Stadium, each carrying a baseball glove, and once there, Kyle asks what they are going to do. 

The writers make Kyle look stupid or worse, they think we need everything spelled out for us.

My stomach is in knots worrying that Dad is going to lose his job. 😏

• Love 2
On 2/18/2019 at 8:43 AM, Empress1 said:

Smash Williams is the assistant priest! I don't think I've seen Gaius Charles in anything aside from a guest spot on SVU since Friday Night Lights ended.

Cara's red coat was gorgeous. I coveted it!

He had a brief stint on Grey's as an intern but Shonda killed him. I'm thrilled to see him here.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, mojito said:

Kyle learns that the kid is planning to sign and he wonders why the kid he told his mother that he was going to go to college and now is going pro. This happens after the kid was given the royal treatment at that club.

Then the two friends go to Yankee Stadium, each carrying a baseball glove, and once there, Kyle asks what they are going to do. 

The writers make Kyle look stupid or worse, they think we need everything spelled out for us.

My stomach is in knots worrying that Dad is going to lose his job. 😏

You mean Miles?  

I actually don't mind that the writers spell things out.  

• Love 1

I liked this episode I hate that we have to wait so long for another episode after waiting so long for this one. I felt bad for Rakesh after being so excited about his new job. I do like how he was able to win them over. I liked Arthur being worried about a new assistant pastor and his talk with him how it reminded him of when he was an assistant pastor and did the same thing. I do like that the new assistant pastor is pro science and religion since I've pretty much believed the same thing. I loved how he talked about how more he looked into science and everything the more he believed. That's pretty much how I ended up there too. I liked Miles and his old friend hearing more about Miles. I didn't like the old friend though I do get it would be hard at seventeen to hear your not as good as you think you are from a friend and ending the friendship. Its not surprising from a teen. But blaming him for what came next. It wasn't Miles fault he wasn't as good as he thought or possibility he choked. Hitching a ride through is student instead of doing what was best for his student? That's crappy. I kind of though after his rant about still being back at their old school would end with him realizing he has it great because of all the great kids he's coaching and how helpful he was to the teen. I thought it would go that way given Miles made his own comments earlier about frustration about where he is in life. But it didn't. I did like Miles' comments I feel that way a lot too due to health problems that keep popping up I basically in the same place and haven't really had a chance to try and see if I can get anywhere career wise or anything else. But at least he was able to get his friend to see he was wrong and talk the kid out of making a bad decision. 

• Love 3

Yay seeing Gaius Charles! I’m still bitter that his character was killed on Grey’s (that was the last straw for me to stick to that show) so am looking forward to him getting in between the church trying to kick out Miles’ dad. He was also on Necessary Roughness (still bitter they cancelled that show).

This show continues to rock my world, and now it’s gone for another few weeks? It’s refreshing to see a show that has such a feel-good premises to and isn’t ashamed of it.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, twoods said:

Yay seeing Gaius Charles! I’m still bitter that his character was killed on Grey’s (that was the last straw for me to stick to that show) so am looking forward to him getting in between the church trying to kick out Miles’ dad. 

His character actually moved to Switzerland to work with Christina on Grey's.

• Love 1
Just now, saoirse said:

His character actually moved to Switzerland to work with Christina on Grey's.

Thank you! It was so long ago and I remembered him leaving suddenly so assumed he died since so many others did. My memory sucks.

1 minute ago, twoods said:

Thank you! It was so long ago and I remembered him leaving suddenly so assumed he died since so many others did. My memory sucks.

I actually had mis-remembered that his character had died as well, but did a rewatch last year, and was like, 'O RILLY?'.  😉

• Love 1

My favorite moment, by far, was when the Trustee went to Smash to let him know things were afoot.  Given the recent financial scandal, it's not all that far-fetched that folks are looking to move on.  It's also a tale as old as time that there be treachery within faith communities!

Did God really have to give Stanford such an excellent prospect?

I wish the convenient schedules kept by Cara and Miles weren't becoming such an issue for me.  At least Rakesh seemed to be out of commission.  Then again, he was just hanging with them following an all-nighter after a string of such.  

It was cool that there was a lot of inside baseball in an ep dealing with...inside baseball!  Even better, the dynamics were actually and surprisingly well explained.

• Love 1

😢😢😢 I usually watch this at CBS.com, but now their player isn't working for me anymore, so it looks like I'll be missing this last episode.

Anyway, if anyone is in NYC, this Paley Center event on Tuesday features some of the cast and producers:

And it looks like when the show comes back there'll be at least a few weeks without a break.

Next episode synopsis: #115, "Two Guys, a Girl, and a Thai Food Place"

Spoiler

MILES AND CARA HELP A WOMAN WHO WAKES FROM A COMA WITH NO MEMORY OF THE NIGHT SHE COLLAPSED, ON "GOD FRIENDED ME," SUNDAY, MARCH 3

Adam Goldberg Guest Stars as Tech CEO Henry Chase

"Two Guys, a Girl, and a Thai Food Place" - Miles and Cara help a young woman who fell into a coma after disappearing the night before her wedding and wakes with no memory of that evening. Also, Rakesh comes face-to-face with Simon Hayes (Adam Goldberg), the tech CEO who may be involved with the God Account, and Arthur's mentorship of Rev. Carver (Gaius Charles) gets off to a rocky start.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/19/2019 at 12:55 PM, jhlipton said:

I love the bit about "science explains the how; religion deals with the why". 

Yeah, I loved that bit too.  It especially hit home because I thought I invented that concept in college 40 years ago.  Then I realized it wasn't just me and it's just that great minds think alike!

It's something that's obvious to me, but not so obvious to a lot of people it seems.  Science tells us the "how" but can't tell us the "why".  The fact that the two disciplines cover different things should be a reason to see that they don't conflict with each other, but there are scientists that think everything can be explained by science and claim that attributing anything to a "supreme being" is "God of the Gaps".  But the meaning behind it all is something that can never be accounted for by science.  And that's one reason some scientists will claim there isn't a meaning so they can still believe that science does explain everything there is to explain.  No offense to anyone that believes this, but I beg to differ.  This is undoubtedly an intelligent universe, so for me there is a reason for everything, even for things that don't seem to have any reason.  I can always ask why anything exists at all and expect there to be an intelligent answer beyond "It's just a brute fact, that's all".

• Love 2
On 2/24/2019 at 12:03 AM, Yeah No said:

there are scientists that think everything can be explained by science and claim that attributing anything to a "supreme being" is "God of the Gaps".  But the meaning behind it all is something that can never be accounted for by science.  And that's one reason some scientists will claim there isn't a meaning so they can still believe that science does explain everything there is to explain.

The phrase "God of the Gaps" came from teologians who warned against using God as a reason (the "how") in human knowledge, because as knowledge grows, "God did it" necomes smaller and smaller.  From my perspective, nothing that happens is supernatural in origin -- we just haven't the "how" yet. 

There's a difference between reason ("how") and meaning ("why").  There is no "meaning" behind gravity or schizophrenia or Na + Cl = NaCl.  THere is meaning as to why Johnny fell from the tree or Suzie hears voices or why I put too much salt on my scrambled eggs.

{Unless you want, I won't go into "intelligent universe", save to asay I don't think it is, at all.)