Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: The Little Prince

• Start Topic

(edited)

I disagree.This show cracks me u p at times..like tonite.  It's so ridiculous and it does entertain me..honestly more than mothership does lately.

Edited by katycat74
  • Love 3

For every long tedious sad ZA story we have to endure, there's a hot air beer bottle balloon crash landing in an area full of radioactive zombies.  I can sit through a lot of dreck for that.

Bonus if the zombies get all tangled up in the balloon next episode

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, heisenberg said:
3 hours ago, katycat74 said:

It's so ridiculous and it does entertain me.

Yes, nothing made sense in this episode, not a single thing,  and I quite liked it!

• Love 1

Well...the whole we gotta fly in to save them premise makes no sense. Why can't they hop in cars and drive out to each other???? Also not liking the 'the world is shit here, we are going to Canada' crap. Serious eye roll at that. And can never buy into Morgan being some big tough guy (stick wielding zombie killing machine) when they show his duck footed walk. 

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

The writing on this series reeks of desperation, throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks.  If this weren't related to the mothership, I wouldn't have a problem with their attempt at humor on this sinking ship, no matter how poorly I think it comes off.  However, since both shows are linked with crossover characters, if they turn this one into a joke, it makes it virtually impossible to take the mothership seriously.

The kids want to be left alone.  They should be left alone.  The protagonist adults are coming off as stalkers.

Maybe this Morgan is supposed to be a different leader than Madison, but how many people took a long walk on a short pier because of Madison? And, of course, there's the hallowed leader of the mother-ship. I think these kids are smarter than smart to run for the hills!!! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, MrPissyPuppy said:

This episode made me miss Z Nation. 

The only thing that can save FTWD is to have the zombie cheese wheel roll through.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
(edited)

I don't understand what is going on with this show any more.

I just read several scathing reviews of this most recent "Fear" episode, and the critics are not kind about it. 

I find myself agreeing with some of their criticisms and doubts. 

For awhile, Fear was doing much better than the original (TWD) show. Now, not so much.

The part with the hot air balloon shaped like a beer bottle was ridiculous.

I agree with one critic who said he's still not clear on exactly why they crashed a plane in the first place, why they need a plane to get back out (can't they just drive around the radioactive zombies, etc), and why is Al, who is a reporter, all the sudden a qualified pilot and mechanic???

I too find myself baffled by some of these story lines and development.

As to the Charlie character (the little girl): initially I found her annoying, but she grew on me over the various episodes, she proved herself useful to the adults a few times in past episodes.

But now the show has introduced what one critic called "a whole cast of Charlies. We went from one Charlie to about ten of them."

(I mean, the show introduced a whole herd of new little kids.)

I still love, love, love the John Dorie character, but they are either under-using him (sometimes he is not in two, three episodes in a row), or they give him boring plots.

They could do so much better by the Dorie character - but they either don't use him, or stick him in goofy, ridiculous plots.

John Dorie should have taken June by her hand and just gone back to his cabin by the river. They'd have television there (movies on VCR), electric power, pop corn, and fish. 

Some of the Fear episodes have just been so weird lately.

They introduced that one character - he stole that warehouse from the group a few episodes ago - and we've not seen or heard from that guy since. However, I think the characters still want to get back to that warehouse? But why? They will have to fight that guy to win it back.

Some of the episodes have felt like filler, some of them have apparently been used only to further interest in the upcoming Rick Grimes movies and don't further the plot or characters of the Fear show itself.

I like the Morgan character, but I don't need to see any more inspirational speeches by him.

Also, this group of people (June, Morgan, etc), are running around like do-gooders trying to rescue people, but most of those they try to rescue want to be left alone!! It's like June, Morgan, Alicia, are going to rescue people whether they want to be or not.

Other than the crazy lady from several episodes ago, we've not had a proper villain type character, either, like a Governor or a Negan - or is that played out?

I do not know where this show is going any more, or what the show writers are thinking. The show seems to be drifting. I watch out of habit and out of loyalty, and again, I love John Dorie. I heart Dorie, so I will tune in to see what he's up to, but that's about it.

Edited by DrNowsWeightScale
  • Love 6

There wasn't much that made a lot of sense this episode.  I think my husband and I spent half the show arguing over just how many planes are now involved in this story.  There's the one they crashed, Daniel's that Strand decided was better used chopping zombies into puree, and a third? that they're now taking repair advice on from a bunch of random dirty children from the woods.  Or is that the same plane, which was pretty much in pieces at the beginning of the season?  Who the hell knows?  I don't care enough to go back and look.  And when they showed up this episode with a full convoy of trucks, why do they even need a plane again?  Something something, there are mountains.  And nuclear plants melting down in some direction.  I don't know.

It's like they're taking a bunch of random ideas not connected to anything and just throwing them at the wall to see what they get.  I want to like this show so much.  I like most of the cast and I find a lot of the characters likable, even endearing people.  I like that the show doesn't take itself so damn seriously and isn't just endless rounds of nihilism, assholery, and despair.  (Yes, mothershow, I'm looking at you.)  But you still have to have a story that makes some degree of sense.  All the radioactive zombies and beer bottle hot air balloons in the world can't save this if it doesn't.

• Love 8

I cant believe what a mess this show has gotten itself in, from the ridiculous introduction of 'Max Headroom' in Ep1, which was supposed to explain why the hell they are where they are. If its so damn easy for Strand to get there then why not, as said above, just get into one of the numerous well fuelled vehicles; and drive the hell back?

Z Nation dealt with the 'nuclear reactor' scenario several years ago, I'm sure they got it sorted within the episode and did it with tongue firmly in cheek. This show is once again trying to squeeze danger, excitement, genuine fear and threat out of situations that just wont support it. Its mostly laughable, its just a shame they weren't looking for laughs.

I feel this show is in serious danger, if someone like me is thinking that its time to call it a day, when I see a show like Whiskey Cavalier which was so more enjoyable, was so much funnier, cancelled after one season, I cant justify this dross being given a 6th season.

• Love 1

It's gotten to the point now that the only reason I'm watching is to see if Dwight finds Sherry, even though she says she doesn't want to be found.  I think she thinks it's best for him if they go their separate ways, but I do hope they find each other and can be together again.   Then hook up with Dorie and June and the four of them leave the rest of the dullards behind.

I am not interested in any of the other characters and I'm especially tired of all life is precious Morgan and his knock kneed walking.  He is not a leading man.

• Love 4

As I’ve said many times, I really like the current cast. It’s just so frustrating to see actors as watchable and entertaining as Garret Dillahunt, Mo Collins, Colman Domingo, Lennie James, and Ruben Blades in something this uninspired. 

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

is that the same plane, which was pretty much in pieces at the beginning of the season?

it is.  but it make no sense to take those piles of junk and put it on a trailer.  My time is not worth going back watching the wreck from the first episode but from what I can remember there was not much left of it,  but it is the same model and period, those are rare...  Very confusing.

Some writer must have been drunk one night while watching the movie "The Flight of the Phoenix" (1965) and he told himself "Here is our season 5!  a quick buck without too much thinking".

Nothing makes sense,  Dwight still following a trail of papers hundreds of miles away, Daniel,  etc...  Even the weapon that Alicia is using makes non sense,  no way that a one inch circular empty in the middle piece of pipe would pierce through like that. 

But I like it 'cause it is more cartoonish than before and it keeps me entertained (Aka the beer balloon).  The other years they were trying too hard.

Edited by heisenberg
(edited)
7 hours ago, DesertCyclist said:

What the actual fuck was that?!

When dumb and dumber were getting stoned on zombie brain cells I though it could not go worst..  But now we have reached new heights... A new level of shitness...😊

Edited by heisenberg
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

The giant beer bottle balloon was so outrageous and campy it made made me forget most of the episode.  But, as noted above, the green screen effects were dreadful and the lack of the recognizable grumble/whoosh that balloons make was disappointing.

The kids?  Let 'em go.  (Please!)

Grace?  Let her go.

Dwight?  Let him go.

What's with this group trying to coerce people to stay with them?

I'm still confused about why half of the group was flying around to begin with.  They were gathering people far enough away that they had to fly, not drive?  Aren't they supposed to be in Texas?  Are there mountains in Texas?  Are we ever going to see Max Headroom again?  If not, that was worst use of a well known actor in history.  Hi, Matt Frewer.  Bye, Matt Frewer!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, heisenberg said:

When dumb and dumber were getting stoned on zombie brain cells I though it could not go worst..

What?  You mean you didn't enjoy the antics of Troy and Nick and their weird chemistry and direction with Madison that meant we could never be quite sure she wasn't going to go there in a three-way with her son and the crazy kid hanging out with her son?

• LOL 4

The giant beer bottle balloon would have worked fine on Z-Nation, but the problem with FTWD is that it takes itself so seriously.  Therefore, the stunt didn't work. 

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, Haleth said:

(Point 1.)

I'm still confused about why half of the group was flying around to begin with.  They were gathering people far enough away that they had to fly, not drive?

(Point 2)

Aren't they supposed to be in Texas?  Are there mountains in Texas?  

Point 1. You and me both!

I too am confused about why they were flying around.

They can't just drive around to find people?

And we're suddenly supposed to believe that Al and/or Strand are also air plane mechanics and pilots?

Edit. Well, if I remember right, maybe they flew way out because Max Headroom faked them out - didn't he radio them, pretending to be a guy needing rescuing, who was stranded out beyond some mountain ranges, and that's why they took a plane?? 

Point 2. I mentioned this earlier either on this thread or another one...

I lived in Texas for over 15 years, in the south east region, and I've been through Dallas, and then, as a kid, I've been through the western part.

During all that time I was in Texas, I do not recall any part of Texas resembling the state of Colorado (which I have visited in years past, and there are mountain ranges visible in CO, but not in any part of TX I've been in, so how are the folks on this show hampered by mountains?).

As to the Hot Air Balloon shaped like a beer bottle.

I'm glad so many on the thread found it amusing, but to me, it had that cringe-worthy, eye-rolling effect.

I agree with the poster above who said that the beer balloon gag would've been more successful on Z-Nation, but on this show, it felt wrong.

I appreciate some levity in these Walking Dead shows (they are usually too morose), but a giant inflatable beer bottle seems the wrong way to go about adding it - seems more moronic than funny (to me, anyway).

I hope this show gets better going forward than it's been lately. 

Edited by DrNowsWeightScale
  • Love 2

So nearly all of these people have travelled thousands of miles for years wandering all over the country. But now the only way they can travel is by air. And they need to assemble a plane that would take a team of experts with advanced tooling and carefully sourced parts years to rebuild. 

Exactly why can't they just build canoes or something? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, FishyJoe said:

So nearly all of these people have travelled thousands of miles for years wandering all over the country. But now the only way they can travel is by air. And they need to assemble a plane that would take a team of experts with advanced tooling and carefully sourced parts years to rebuild. 

Exactly why can't they just build canoes or something? 

Don't know if you saw it or not, but there was an episode several eps back where John Dorie tried to build a boat out of a car camper top, but that failed. That was when he and Strand were trying to get off this island type area that had an alligator swimming around in front of it.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

What?  You mean you didn't enjoy the antics of Troy and Nick and their weird chemistry and direction with Madison that meant we could never be quite sure she wasn't going to go there in a three-way with her son and the crazy kid hanging out with her son?

Maybe if she had took the brain stuff she would have done it... A cougar in action!  The ratings would have gone mad for sure!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

The giant beer bottle balloon would have worked fine on Z-Nation, but the problem with FTWD is that it takes itself so seriously.  Therefore, the stunt didn't work. 

They are a lot less serious than they used to be.  A hole episode in western mode ending with a bullet for two is definitely not serious.

• Love 1
(edited)

So they went back to the Jimbo's place for a hot air balloon. A place they ransacked a long time ago. So are they still in the same place they were way back then, yet now hauling plane parts?

How did that balloon launch and how would it ever land with the propellers hanging well below the basket?

I didn't know plane building was as simple as deriving inspiration from the Little Prince. All we need is Thomas the tank engine, and they can build a Cesna.

They are not in imminent danger so why would any of them agree to get in a DIY repaired/built plane? Right now I find that a bigger roadblock than the obvious question of jet fuel.

If walkers can be restrained with rotted intestines, how can they possibly push down gates and walls?

Edited by Iguessnot
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't know why we haven't seen any naked walkers.   There must be a walker filled nudist colony somewhere.

I agree.  No need of nudist colony,  how many people died in their beds?  You get naked, go under the sheets and the wife comes to bite you.  How many people died in a swimming pool or sitting on the toilet bowl?🙂

• Love 1

What the heck did I just have playing on the dvr in the background while I was doing something else?  And why was there a character I never saw before getting a 10 minute monologue while Al just looked at her?

I have been confused since the first episode when the plane fell from the sky.  I watched this season as I was super excited they were bringing Dwight on, but even with the 4 or 5 characters that I like, this is just nonsense piled upon more nonsense.  

Oh, and they're going for the big inspirational speech to convince the other characters and the viewers that there is a higher purpose for this nonsense.  Just no.

Instead of building a plane, maybe they should just make really big kites and float off on them?  It would probably make more sense.

And to think that I used to love and look forward to the Walking Dead.  I noticed they had a marathon of the Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead recently and I couldn't even be bothered to watch any of it.

• Love 2

You're talking about the previous episode.

On 7/9/2019 at 4:40 PM, DrNowsWeightScale said:

Point 2. I mentioned this earlier either on this thread or another one...

I lived in Texas for over 15 years, in the south east region, and I've been through Dallas, and then, as a kid, I've been through the western part.

During all that time I was in Texas, I do not recall any part of Texas resembling the state of Colorado (which I have visited in years past, and there are mountain ranges visible in CO, but not in any part of TX I've been in, so how are the folks on this show hampered by mountains?).

I've done extensive field work in Texas and in the west is the Guadalupe Mountains National Park which looks like Colorado when you get into it.  Big mountains. North of Van Horn and SW of Carlsbad Caverns.  There's also the Ft. Stockton area.

But the logistics and the logic of the show escape me.  I can't figure out why any one is doing anything anymore.

• Love 1

If I'm getting it right:

• The reason no one can easily travel in and out of the area is because that big-ass storm last season washed out roads and bridges
  • Max Headroom pretended to be stuck there, so he could lure them away from his warehouse
  • Following the ruse, they intended to use the plane to go in and help, then get back out, but it crashed and stranded them
  • Most of them went in the plane but the truckers, Charlie and Strand stayed behind; this is why they are still closer to locations like the brewery and the warehouse
  • Inside the isolated area, Morgan et al. have a crashed plane that needs fixing, so they can fly themselves out (and the kids, if they want to leave)
  • Outside the isolated area, Strand et al. fried the engines of Daniel's plane, so they can't fly in to the rescue, but they realized they could use the balloon to fly in some parts; presumably the truckers are continuing the work on Daniel's plane
  • As for the kids, Alicia is going after them because she realized they made the decision to stay in the camp (which she originally intended to respect) before they were able to hear from Grace that the second reactor will soon melt down and the camp will no longer be safe
  • Finally, no one there knows how radiation works, including Grace -- too bad for them that the world blew up before Chernobyl could be shown on HBO
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Thanks for the explanations, but, to me, that's more evidence that the show is a hot mess when people don't understand what the hell is going on. 

You do try to understand but the second they are about to reveal some explanations for some shit they bring in other shit and don't resume the shit you were about to know before, so the shit keeps piling on the other shit and you don't know what this shit is about.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 7/13/2019 at 8:13 PM, heisenberg said:

You do try to understand but the second they are about to reveal some explanations for some shit they bring in other shit and don't resume the shit you were about to know before, so the shit keeps piling on the other shit and you don't know what this shit is about.

That is so very accurate ☺️

• Love 2