Type keyword(s) to search

The Boys in the Media

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I think Hughie started out just wanting to be useful. But he's a human who's lived in society - he can't help but internalize some things, even if he generally rejects them under normal conditions. And the taste of power that he got (blissing out healing while Kimiko was dying, getting to punch A Train, and being able to hang with Butcher and SB) did eventually push him to a place where he challenges his girlfriend on why she gets to be stronger than him when she seems to threaten his newfound strength. (It reminds me of a moment between the partners in True Detective S3, if anyone's watched - the "I want you to know I'm thinking it." - very different circumstances, but the same thing about the white guy defaulting to his social power when hurt by someone who society has told him should be lower, even when he's lived his whole life in an egalitarian way.) He was influenced by the people he was with, by the power he didn't want to give up. And it only took him an episode to reject it, which shows us that, once again, Hughie is our audience stand-in, dabbling in the thrill of being a Butcher or a SB, but too moral at the end of the day to embrace it. 

Edited by Aithne
  • Like 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Well that's... lazy? Cowardly?  Pandering? I have far more respect when a show is willing to do the hard thing and stand by it. Meh.

I wasn't really that interested in Black Noir; he was not a character that stood out for me. I know he did for others, I just don't agree with them about his importance or his wonderfulness as a character. The odd thing to me, though, is that

Spoiler

Kripke thinks the idea of bringing in a completely new character who wears Noir's costume and is also a "completely silent masked superhero" is going to make the original character's fans happy. Unless I am misunderstanding what he is saying here. I agree with you though; I think that Kripke would have done better to just stand by his decision.

Edited by Bergamot
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Bergamot said:

I wasn't really that interested in Black Noir; he was not a character that stood out for me. I know he did for others, I just don't agree with them about his importance or his wonderfulness as a character. The odd thing to me, though, is that

Reveal spoiler

Kripke thinks the idea of bringing in a completely new character who wears Noir's costume and is also a "completely silent masked superhero" is going to make the original character's fans happy. Unless I am misunderstanding what he is saying here. I agree with you though; I think that Kripke would have done better to just stand by his decision.

Right? I'd assume at least part of the fans' affection for the character is tied to the actor. This is a pretty strange message to send, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 7/9/2022 at 9:06 AM, gonzosgirrl said:

Right? I'd assume at least part of the fans' affection for the character is tied to the actor. This is a pretty strange message to send, lol. 

It sure seems dumb!

i wonder if it is a way to sneak a homelander clone into the mix. 

• Like 2
On 7/9/2022 at 9:06 AM, gonzosgirrl said:

My understanding is that the same actor is going to play him. I read that somewhere.

I originally thought that it would be a HL clone per comic source material but now I wonder if it's a Noir clone.

• Useful 1
11 minutes ago, Castiels Cat said:

My understanding is that the same actor is going to play him. I read that somewhere.

That is almost worse, pandering to fan service instead of serving the story.  Ugh.

• Mind Blown 2
1 minute ago, gonzosgirrl said:

That is almost worse, pandering to fan service instead of serving the story.  Ugh.

Maybe I misread. I am pretty stressed these days. I thought it was odd... but I am pretty sure he was talking up the actor. 

I guess HL would have him cloned or somesuch because he did seem to care.

It's just lazy writing. Worse than the whipping up deadly nerve gas in the lab in a jiffy nonsense.

The great fight scene was not enough to overcome the nonsense.

• Useful 1
(edited)

"The Art and Making of The Boys" from Titan Books will be released on September 27, 2022 for  $39.95. This book is packed with eye-popping exclusive art, behind-the-scenes photography, and interviews with the cast and crew detailing how and why The Boys came to our screens. It’s the perfect companion to the show, and a treasure trove for fans.

TheBoys_SC_FINAL.jpg

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, ahrtee said:

College spinoff, "Gen V".  I think I'll probably give it a miss.

Same. For me the appeal of The Boys isn't the world/universe they created but the characters/actors living in it. If I'm bored I might give it a shot. I did see Ambrose from The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina in there. I like him, but not enough to make me excited about it. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

Same. For me the appeal of The Boys isn't the world/universe they created but the characters/actors living in it. If I'm bored I might give it a shot. I did see Ambrose from The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina in there. I like him, but not enough to make me excited about it. 

Is that one young man Arnold's son? I've never seen him before, but he's kind of annoying.

Actually I thought that most of them were kind of annoying. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that the characters they will play will also be annoying, but this video did not make me want to watch the show, no matter how much they confidently assure me that I will love it.

2 minutes ago, Bergamot said:

Is that one young man Arnold's son? I've never seen him before, but he's kind of annoying.

Actually I thought that most of them were kind of annoying. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that the characters they will play will also be annoying, but this video did not make me want to watch the show, no matter how much they confidently assure me that I will love it.

Are they supposed to be the next gen of supes?  Actually getting some training?  Are we supposed to be rooting for or against them?  (Or, I guess, we'll get to see which ones turn out good and which ones bad....)  I don't think I can deal with teenage superhero angst at this point.  

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I did see Ambrose from The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina in there. I like him, but not enough to make me excited about it

Roz and Ambrose from The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina are in it. 

I don't really see how a college for supes is going to be interesting long term. Are they going to show a bunch of young supes being assholes to each other then sleeping with each other. 

• Useful 3

I just hope it's not another version of 'bullies always win' with an undfeatable douchebag laughing at the pathetic humans that worship them. I think the ending of this season of the Boys has soured me. Satire is great, but there has to be some relief once in a while or the joke loses its punch. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
On 8/2/2022 at 12:15 AM, ahrtee said:

Maybe they're hoping he'll be the bridge between the mothership and the college spinoff.  And they can always ship him off there if he gets too annoying.  

I'm thinking the new black noir my be in the school, either as a clone of himself (same actor) or someone else (comic storyline). So my bet is him being the bridge. They are college age, I think.

I think Ryan is pretty well set up to be the rope toy in the tug of war between Butcher and Homelander, and they have worked a bit to make him a person with some of his own opinions. I hope it is enough. also, I hope Grace gets him back. I would purely hate to have anyone have to deal with Stillwell's creepy kid.

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, Affogato said:

I would purely hate to have anyone have to deal with Stillwell's creepy kid.

Are you talking abt Teddy?  Do we even know where he is?  Why would you call Teddy creepy?  He was a baby when Stilwell died.

4 hours ago, roamyn said:

Are you talking abt Teddy?  Do we even know where he is?  Why would you call Teddy creepy?  He was a baby when Stilwell died.

Teddy Stillwell is in The Red River Institute, an orphanage for Super Powered Kids. He appeared in one of the episodes of Season 3.

4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Teddy Stillwell is in The Red River Institute, an orphanage for Super Powered Kids. He appeared in one of the episodes of Season 3.

And Hughie certainly found him creepy. If temporary V does in fact turn you into what you fear most, Butcher becoming something like Homelander, Hughie's teleportation may come from his encounter with Teddy Stillwell.

• Love 1
On 7/9/2022 at 8:55 AM, DeeDee79 said:

Oh Karl, nothing is more predictable than the Ryan storyline.

As for getting there in a "surprising" way, not gonna happen. 

The only thing that would be surprising now, IMO, would be Ryan actually becoming the upgrade of both Homelander and Soldier Boy as far as powers are concerned, and as such, needing to be taken out and down as much as, or even more than, either of those characters needed to be taken down or out.

So Ryan in a box, right next to his grandad, could be surprising(at least for a time) but Kripke and his "feels" as the answer to all the dilemmas he's ever created has always and ever been the greatest weakness and downfall of his writing/showrunning, AFAIC; and it's also what makes it, again, just so predictable.

And sadly, nothing in this video makes me feel as if that might change.

I'm seeing an ending to this show as saccharine as Hughie and Starlight have now become after this season. 

Wish I felt differently, but that finale and the "explanation" of it in this video just doesn't leave me much hope for anything truly surprising, tbh.

Oh well.

Such is the way of things in the Kripkeverse.

I'm sure that he will still surprise some.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Somehow I missed that.  Thanx!

1 hour ago, Myrelle said:

The only thing that would be surprising now, IMO, would be Ryan actually becoming the upgrade of both Homelander and Soldier Boy as far as powers are concerned, and as such, needing to be taken out and down as much as, or even more than, either of those characters needed to be taken down or out.

Maybe they’ll surprise us, and with Becca’s early influence, Ryan will become an actual SuperHERO, unlike his father & grd father.

1 hour ago, roamyn said:

Maybe they’ll surprise us, and with Becca’s early influence, Ryan will become an actual SuperHERO, unlike his father & grd father.

Going by how pleased he looked that dad straight up murdered the protester at the end of S3, that seems doubtful.

1 hour ago, roamyn said:

Honestly?

This is what I would consider predictable in the end.

Edited by Myrelle
27 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Going by how pleased he looked that dad straight up murdered the protester at the end of S3, that seems doubtful.

Yes, but this is Kripke's usual MO.

Then we get the "twist" ending as described above.

I'll take any further discussion to the spoilers and spec thread as soon as I can.

Edited by Myrelle
1 minute ago, Myrelle said:

Yes, but this is Kripke's usual MO.

Then we get the "twist" ending as described above.

I know we've been burnt by Kripke's other endeavours, but I sincerely hope they resist the urge to turn this adult show into an after-school special.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
13 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I know we've been burnt by Kripke's other endeavours, but I sincerely hope they resist the urge to turn this adult show into an after-school special.

You and me both! 🤞

6 hours ago, Myrelle said:

That would be interesting considering that it's been said that Ryan will become more powerful than his father. Would Butcher stop Soldier Boy a second time if Ryan turns into a monster?

1 hour ago, DeeDee79 said:

That would be interesting considering that it's been said that Ryan will become more powerful than his father. Would Butcher stop Soldier Boy a second time if Ryan turns into a monster?

Count on it. 

• Sad 1
9 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

But Grace has had some influence too.

I’d prefer Ryan becoming a good Supe, to being HL 2.0.  Aft three seasons of his machinations & murder, God complex & neediness, I’m abt full up of HL - no matter how good Antony Starr is.

Edited by roamyn
  • Like 6
15 hours ago, roamyn said:

But Grace has had some influence too.

I’d prefer Ryan becoming a good Supe, to being HL 2.0.  Aft three seasons of his machinations & murder, God complex & neediness, I’m abt full up of HL - no matter how good Antony Starr is.

My guess is you will either get your wish/preference or Ryan will be depowered and his powers not restored by choice. 

No way is Kripke going to allow Ryan to be killed or to turn into Homelander II as an end point to the storyline. 

7 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

The Boys/cast have received four Saturn Awards nominations:

https://twitter.com/SaturnAwards/status/1558264574859771904?s=20&t=ZAgEUkGe1k1yh48aU1zVvg

Action/Adventure Series (Streaming)

Actor in a Streaming Series: Antony Starr

Actress in a Streaming Series: Erin Moriarty

Guest Actor in a Streaming Series: Jensen Ackles

Best of luck to everyone!

Well, personally I think Antony and Jensen deserve their nominations, but Starlight is so bland to me.  Most good actresses can fill that role.  What does Erin bring that’s so special and elevates the character?

I have nothing against Erin herself, I just think the character isn’t one of the most compelling.  Karen is more deserving of a nomination as she needs to act and convey emotions without speaking.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I agree re Erin v Karen, 100%. But I believe Kimiko would be a supporting role, and they only seem to have lead acting categories.  The guest acting role isn't even separated by gender. 

No, they do have supporting role nominations: 

Best Supporting Actress in a Streaming Series:
        Patricia Arquette   (Severance)
         Danielle Brooks (Peacemaker)
 Jess Bush  (Star Trek: Strange New Worlds)
            Nell Tiger Free   (Servant)
         Kathryn Hahn   (WandaVision)
      Moses Ingram   (Obi-Wan Kenobi)
 Aleyse Shannon   (Leverage: Redemption)

But they seem to have some pretty strange ideas of what fits their nominations.  Did anyone notice that they've nominated The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet in the Best Television Series Release?  (Granted, it's pretty far from reality, but SF/Fantasy/Horror?)  

• Like 1
  • Useful 3