Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Chapter 1

Bort

After waking up surrounded by dead bodies and no memory, Myfanwy Thomas is thrown into the world of the Checquy, a paranormal secret service where she's a high-level operative known as a "Rook" - and no one can be trusted.

Airdate: Sunday, June 30, 2019

• Useful 1

The thing with the keys was reminiscent of The Matrix. The blue key was the blissful, ignorant escape and the red key led to solving the mystery. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, WritinMan said:

Pretty good first episode. Lots of mysterious stuff being set up. I'll keep watching.

I didn't know this was based on a book. Might have to look into that.

There are two books.  Both worth reading.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

My husband said to me, “If she picks the blue key this is going to be a really short series.” Lol. I enjoyed the first episode. I wasn’t familiar with the book so I thought it was just going to a a spy thriller type series. It’s interesting that it has sci-fi elements as well. I will have to check out the books this is based on. 

• Love 3

For those who have not read the books (I have & liked them both & keep hoping the 3rd will happen soon), her name is written Myfanwy. I have been waiting a very long time to hear someone say it, because I really had no idea how to pronounce it. It sounds like they're saying "Miffany" to me,  & that is nothing like what I thought it was pronounced like.

• Love 3

I watched this on impulse last night and I'm intrigued.   Since I'm about to go on vacation - I might just download the book onto my Kindle to enjoy while relaxing, so thanks for the tip.  

This might be right up my alley - a little mystery, suspense, and a little paranormal/sci-fi thrown in.   

• Love 4
10 hours ago, GaT said:

For those who have not read the books (I have & liked them both & keep hoping the 3rd will happen soon), her name is written Myfanwy. I have been waiting a very long time to hear someone say it, because I really had no idea how to pronounce it. It sounds like they're saying "Miffany" to me,  & that is nothing like what I thought it was pronounced like.

The book said how to pronounce Myfanwy "sounds like Tiffany" just like the show did. It also said how to pronouncy "Checquy," although my brain never did do that one correctly.

• Love 2

So I watched - I know nothing of the books and was intrigued enough by the previews. I'm not fully convinced about the show yet but will give it another ep or 2. I found my mind drifting and caught myself looking at my phone a lot during the second half. Kind of like the comment above that if she picks the blue key then it will be a short series - I felt like that was wasted time as you knew she would end up picking the red. I'm not sold on the lead yet. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

The book said how to pronounce Myfanwy "sounds like Tiffany" just like the show did. It also said how to pronouncy "Checquy," although my brain never did do that one correctly.

Yes! Pronouncing it as “shecky” just seemed weird to me. 

(edited)

I had no idea this was based off a couple of books, I might have to give them a read. I am very intrigued by the pilot, and while it was a bit humorless for my taste, the mix of spy drama, mystery, and supernatural/scifi is right up my ally so I will be watching for the foreseeable future. Its interesting how the main character keeps getting letters and video's from herself and that she might have had something going on with one of (all?) of the hive mind agents. 

As soon as I heard that her name was Myfanwy, my first thought was "that random collection of letters that seem to have no connection to each other sounds like Welsh!" and I googled its origin and low and behold..

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

This popped up at random and I am interested so far, like many here I had no idea there are books.

My first thought was to use both keys so I am glad that she attempted to do that.

Lead actress is slender to a point that I am uncomfortable with.

• Love 6

The memory loss premise seems overdone by now but I'll stick with this show for a bit since there's not much else on TV.

I keep wanting to say "my fanny" when I see her name, which is extra funny considering how the British use "fanny"

Checquy pronounced "sheck-ay" doesn't look right to me.  I would give it more of a French "é" sound instead of "ay" since it's a heraldry term meaning "checkered" or "checked" (checké)

• Love 1
On 7/2/2019 at 12:26 AM, Kelda Feegle said:

My first thought was to use both keys so I am glad that she attempted to do that.

I agree, a quick punt to the face of the bank lady would have accomplished that task with plenty of time for a leisurely stroll through the bank doors.

• Love 2
On 7/2/2019 at 12:26 AM, Kelda Feegle said:

This popped up at random and I am interested so far, like many here I had no idea there are books.

Lead actress is slender to a point that I am uncomfortable with.

She has a striking resemblance to Rose Leslie, who is equally emaciated. 

• Love 1
On 7/1/2019 at 2:11 PM, kariyaki said:
On 7/1/2019 at 3:35 AM, GaT said:

More's the pity on that because the author is so horribly wrong! This is practically a deal breaker and it drives me crazy. The accent is on the second syllable, not the first:  [məˈvɑːnʊɨ]. "Miffany" will get you thrown out of Welsh Choir 101 in two seconds:

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

More's the pity on that because the author is so horribly wrong! This is practically a deal breaker and it drives me crazy. The accent is on the second syllable, not the first:  [məˈvɑːnʊɨ]. "Miffany" will get you thrown out of Welsh Choir 101 in two seconds:

That's mentioned in the book, that it's being pronounced wrong.

• Useful 3
52 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

That's mentioned in the book, that it's being pronounced wrong.

Thank you for that information, because "Miffany" sounds like a Barbie Bimbo Stripper name. Does the author say why it's being pronounced that way or is that spoilerific? 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

Thank you for that information, because "Miffany" sounds like a Barbie Bimbo Stripper name. Does the author say why it's being pronounced that way or is that spoilerific? 

Nothing that's a big deal, just that it's a Welsh name and her parents didn't pronounce it right. That's all that's said about it.

• Useful 3
2 minutes ago, kariyaki said:
7 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

Nothing that's a big deal, just that it's a Welsh name and her parents didn't pronounce it right. That's all that's said about it.

Thank you again! At least they owe up to it. Myfanwy (pronounced properly) is such a pretty name (and a pretty sad song), it's still a shame!

• Useful 1
(edited)
On 7/1/2019 at 3:35 AM, GaT said:

You're right in the pronunciation (in the show). I read an article that said it rhymes with Tiffany. When I first saw the name, I pronounced it "my fanny". I thought they were being pretty risqué, considering the British term!

Edited by ferjy
  • LOL 1
On 7/2/2019 at 11:00 AM, cdnalor said:

I keep wanting to say "my fanny" when I see her name, which is extra funny considering how the British use "fanny"

You beat me to it. Sorry, I hadn't seen your post yet.

• Love 1
On 7/2/2019 at 11:00 AM, cdnalor said:

Checquy pronounced "sheck-ay" doesn't look right to me.  I would give it more of a French "é" sound instead of "ay" since it's a heraldry term meaning "checkered" or "checked" (checké) 

The French é is pronounced "ay" though.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Just to be clear, are they pronouncing it "my FAWN way"? I think that's what I'm hearing.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ferjy said:

Just to be clear, are they pronouncing it "my FAWN way"? I think that's what I'm hearing.

No, they're pronouncing it "Miffany" 

(edited)
3 hours ago, GaT said:

No, they're pronouncing it "Miffany" 

I mean in that video that I quoted (i.e. the proper pronunciation). It’s difficult to tell with the singing.

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, ferjy said:

The French é is pronounced "ay" though.

That's how English speakers think it's pronounced, but it's really more of a short "i" sound.

5 hours ago, ferjy said:

I mean in that video that I quoted (i.e. the proper pronunciation). It’s difficult to tell with the singing.

Ahh, sorry, I misunderstood. I can't tell at all in the video.

• Love 2
(edited)

Hmm. There wasn’t enough interesting happening during those long, long, long stretches of no dialogue to keep my attention, although it was clear someone was trying to say something with the extended lingerie shots. Just not sure what.

I think this needed better writing, or better pacing, or to not have existed in a world where I’ve already seen Orphan Black and Humans and this doesn’t feel like it’s bringing anything new to the table. It’s a full 30 minutes before the show even starts admitting the stuff you already know basically from the jump (yeah she’s some kind of operative, shadowy org, she’s lost her memory, superpowers, etc). And as I think someone else said, it takes itself painfully seriously.

I really think for me personally the problem is Orphan Black, which had one of the strongest “hook” pilots I’ve ever seen for this kind of sci-fi/intrigue stuff. (And strongest actresses, of course.)

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, cdnalor said:

That's how English speakers think it's pronounced, but it's really more of a short "i" sound.

Ah, I see what you mean. It is shorter. I thought you might have been confusing it with accent grave, the short è, rather than accent aigu. I speak French so I just automatically say it and don't really think about how long the "ay" is.

Edited by ferjy

These are British people.  You know, the ones who couldn't pronounce complicated Italian names like Livorno and Firenze, so renamed them Leghorn and Florence.  Where a name pronounced "chumlee" is spelled "chalmondelay."  

• LOL 4