Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

44 minutes ago, BAForever said:

Chicago- she bugged. Between her overusing the term "hosting" and the ever popular "it's not really my style", she was annoying. And the whole curb appeal angle. My home has wonderful curb appeal, but that's not a reason to buy or not buy. They didn't seem like a couple to me, more like siblings. That all being complained about, they picked the right one.

And don't get me started on the whole short term rentals. No matter how awesome it is, you will never get as much in rental as you think. Cleaning, insurance, wear and tear, etc all take a piece of profit. 

And her total gut job of that kitchen consisted of moving the refrigerator.  Anyone  have an idea what that was around the bottom of the toilet in their unit.  Almost looked like a toddler's potty helper.

On 10/4/2022 at 10:35 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

New Episode, BillingscMontana. with Lucais and Clark.      They were in Michigan, looking for jobs in MD, but clicked on MT, and a job came up, partner can work remotely.  

Budget is $300k, Realtor warns that in a few months the $300k houses will be $325k or more.

House 1,  $300k, 2 bed 2 bath, bedrooms are smaller, new build townhouse and only shares one wall, HOA $175 a month, snow removal.   $4300 for a fence. 

House 2, $299,900 single family in town, two story, close to downtown, 3 bed 2 bath, there an ADU out back, and they used to rent the front house for $1600 a month, and ADU for $500.(I might not have the rental prices exactly right.   The ADU needed work.  Main house is nicely remodeled, but original windows.  all 3 bedrooms upstairs,

Realtor says each window replacement could be $2500 or more, no ensuite.    Can they replace the windows without historic association approval?   Or are the windows sizes that will require custom sizes, and cost that much to replace?  I'm guessing the realtor showed this house to someone else, and knows about the window replacement prices.    

House 3, single family fixer, $240k, 3 bed 1 bath, older windows, 4 types of carpet so far., lots of windows, decent size bedroom.  I'm guessing the windows are standard sizes, and could be replaced easier than on house #2,  wood floors under the carpet.   What they could do to save money is rip the carpets out themselves, and have a contractor refinish the floors. Needs new counter tops. actually needs new kitchen,   finished basement, higher ceiling for a basement.  third bedroom is in the basement, but no egress windows.   Adding an egress window to the basement could be thousands of dollars.    Clark wants to make the downstairs bedroom attached to the bedroom an ensuite, and giant closet (terrible idea), no egress window, plumbing to basement bathroom will be very expensive because of the cement foundation, main floor bath is a gut job.   1 car garage.  

They buy #3 the fixer.     I wouldn't do anything to the basement, but put a master suite addition off the back of the first floor.  Clark wants to rip out the kitchen, and do the ensuite.   They have no future as house painters though, I bet a first floor addition of a master suite will need a furnace replacement for a bigger, more efficient unit.    I would never jack hammer the basement floor for an added bathroom.   

I hope the two men didn't rip down walls, and do anything but rip out the carpet and tack strips.    Taking down walls is not for amateurs.   In an area that gets heavy wind storms, lots of snow and ice, taking down a wall without engineering reports that say it's safe can get you killed. 

The only house I liked was #2. I thought the fixer was ugly.

• Love 3

Berkshires Musician

I  liked Michael because he embraced vintage things. Loved old-school wood paneling and cabinets and a yellow bathroom and so many things that most HHs would declare would require a "complete gut".  His sidekick was in construction and was along as a friend and advisor and he kept his comments to the construction aspect of the house. Apparently, he was equally as open to vintage.

I think the HH has already lost the loft bedroom argument. No way 9-year old Nora (who lives elsewhere with her mother) is going to sit still for that "the downstairs room is safer" stuff. I'm on Team Nora on this one. I'm taking the loft. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Berkshires Michael. Hubba hubba. I even liked his dad bod.

Ahem...

He seemed very relaxed about things that other HHers would be having conniptions over. He even said he liked paneling!

I agree, daughter will want the loft. And she's not a toddler. She'll be fine. If he's OK with her jumping into the lake she can certainly climb a ladder.

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, rhofmovalley said:

Berkshires Michael. Hubba hubba. I even liked his dad bod.

Word! I found his short bio on the BSO web site. I know everyone in an orchestra of that caliber is an accomplished musician, but he has both a Bachelor and Masters degree in trumpet. Who knew you could major in trumpet? (says the chemist)

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Word! I found his short bio on the BSO web site. I know everyone in an orchestra of that caliber is an accomplished musician, but he has both a Bachelor and Masters degree in trumpet. Who knew you could major in trumpet? (says the chemist)

My college had a conservatory of music. There were many, many performance majors. They also offered excellent programs in music management, music education and music theory (yikes...too much like math for this English major). 

I wish they'd showed him playing more but I guess it's only a half hour (well, 22 minutes). Also seems the producers were unsuccessful in getting him to whine about not having enough room for his shoes or "needing" granite countertops in order to be able to cook.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Who knew you could major in trumpet? 

Absolutely. My nephew has his Master's from Juilliard in trumpet performance and is now a professor of trumpet in a college known for its music program.

I haven't seen the Berkshires episode yet, but just saw the Chicago episode. I disliked all choices. #2 was called a Victorian and supposedly had 1600 sq feet. I'd like to know where that square footage was? I didn't see a second story and any Victorian I've been in has a second story as well as a walkup attic.  

Edited by ECM1231
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

St. Louis to Raleigh

Well, that was a little different. The couple was approved for $1.2M and looked at homes that were no higher than $849K, I think. They found something they wanted for $749K. This was the price range the husband preferred; unlike in other episodes, the other spouse didn't really say anything about being okay with spending top dollar. 

She was looking for "my white cabinets" (she got them) and "my pool" (she got a community pool), and he seemed to be more concerned with where to put his grills (yep, that's plural). They didn't have too many clashing desires.

Anyway, they had a new home in St. Louis and have a less new home in Raleigh. I think they moved to a nicer city so I hope they enjoy it.

• Love 2

Saw the Berkshires episode tonight and was surprised by the difference in home costs from the cheapest (#1) to the most expensive (#3). The last home was probably too much home for him, although I did covet the paver

Spoiler

patio and inground pool.

The house he chose was smack in the middle, price-wise, and the smallest. It seemed like a flip to me and I saw nothing appealing about it. It was also the farthest from Tanglewood. I guess he really, really wanted to be in the woods and near a lake.

I found his bio. He's a year younger than my nephew, who's also performed at Tanglewood many times. I wonder if they know each other.

He has a very impressive resume.

Edited by ECM1231
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2

"my pool" (she got a community pool), 

She wins. A pool she doesn't have to fill, clean, filter, maintain, etc.

I live in a high-rise, with other high-rises in the vicinity. The one thing I learned a long time ago is that some people keep telescopes by their windows. Use window coverings appropriately. JS.

• Love 3

This was a Daily Double in Jeopardy! today.

In 2020 the socially conscious Houston Assoc. of Realtors dropped this 2-word term for where the head of the house sleeps

Piece of cake in this house. The current champ Cris got it right.

• Love 5

Atlanta: Why do they have HHs say such stupid things? I think it was the younger sister who wanted the piano to stay in the 2nd house, which they obviously weren't buying as it was fully furnished, said the piano was a decorative piece when her sister pointed out she didn't play the piano. In the same house, they declared they would have to knock out a wall in the kitchen that had both upper and lower cabinets and a gas stove. Forget about losing all that storage space, where exactly were they planning on putting the stove which would require relocating electrical and gas lines? Ridiculous.

That said, the house they bought in Buckhead is a good investment.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Atlanta: Why do they have HHs say such stupid things? I think it was the younger sister who wanted the piano to stay in the 2nd house, which they obviously weren't buying as it was fully furnished, said the piano was a decorative piece when her sister pointed out she didn't play the piano. In the same house, they declared they would have to knock out a wall in the kitchen that had both upper and lower cabinets and a gas stove. Forget about losing all that storage space, where exactly were they planning on putting the stove which would require relocating electrical and gas lines? Ridiculous.

That said, the house they bought in Buckhead is a good investment.

Buckhead is a very desirable area indeed.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I would have bought the second house.   The third one was ridiculous to consider in my opinion. the creek run off area in the front yard was a bad idea to have on your property.   I bet there was a good reason that front yard water atea was so well constructed, and I wonder about the effect of that runoff area on insurance, and maintenance.     

The other episode needed to only show me one house, the double walk-in closet one was my favorite.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I wonder if the expensive HOA at the Smokie Mountains condo included wi-fi, heating, cooling, electricity etc? Otherwise I can't imagine why it was so high.

The Atlanta sisters were annoying. Does anyone know the definition of cute anymore? Because very little of what they claimed was cute applies. 

Edited by Grrarrggh
16 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I wonder if the expensive HOA at the Smokie Mountains condo included wi-fi, heating, cooling, electricity etc? Otherwise I can't imagine why it was so high.

The Atlanta sisters were annoying. Does anyone know the definition of cute anymore? Because very little of what they claimed was cute applies. 

The Smokie Mountain house hunt was awful. Every house was not worth the money they were asking. Dark, dated and depressing. The condo was the worst...the view of other new builds in their front yard was a sad indictment on the housing industry. 

• Love 3

Smokies

I was a bit put off by the mention of the husband's Aspbergers. The husband mentioned he'd been recently diagnosed and later the wife talked about understanding the way he thought. To the outsider, he was just another spouse who closely followed the money and wanted practical things. He didn't need explaining.

Atlanta with Boyfriend and Father

It turns out, this house hunter wasn't as bad as I expected her to be, which might give you an idea of how bad I expected her to be. 

At one point, the father was questioning the painting of stone on a house. Don't worry, Pops. I, too, am out of step. Like when your daughter said she had lots of clothes and I wondered if that was the case, why would she allow herself to be seen like this. So many geezerette comments came to mind: "You're going to go out looking like that?" "You paid for those jeans?" "You treated a pair of jeans like that?" 

I can remember when we did all we could to get our jeans faded (pre-stonewash). And now jeans have come to this. To protest this abuse, we need a Blue Jeans Matter movement.

jeans.png

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, mojito said:

I can remember when we did all we could to get our jeans faded (pre-stonewash). And now jeans have come to this. To protest this abuse, we need a Blue Jeans Matter movement.

jeans.png

When my stepson's wife, who was 63 years old at the time, showed up in ripped jeans my husband told her she looked like shit and should change before we went to dinner at Ruby Tuesday. I secretly applauded my husband. The daughter-in-law did look like shit.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
35 minutes ago, mojito said:

It turns out, this house hunter wasn't as bad as I expected her to be, which might give you an idea of how bad I expected her to be. 

At one point, the father was questioning the painting of stone on a house. Don't worry, Pops. I, too, am out of step. Like when your daughter said she had lots of clothes and I wondered if that was the case, why would she allow herself to be seen like this. So many geezerette comments came to mind: "You're going to go out looking like that?" "You paid for those jeans?" "You treated a pair of jeans like that?" 

jeans.png

I actually thought that she and her boyfriend were hard to take.  Just two "look at me" type of people IMO.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, edie3 said:

Y'all, I am scarred. Scarred not scared. Flipping through channels today, Pet Sematary was on. I'm thinking no way would a family with small kids buy a house on such a busy road!

Unless that family is the Kings. Stephen wrote the book after he lived in a house on a busy road and his daughter's cat was killed by a lorry. 

On 10/15/2022 at 11:58 AM, mojito said:

Smokies

I was a bit put off by the mention of the husband's Aspbergers. The husband mentioned he'd been recently diagnosed and later the wife talked about understanding the way he thought. To the outsider, he was just another spouse who closely followed the money and wanted practical things. He didn't need explaining.

I have a family member with Asperger's so I knew he had it about 5 minutes into the show.

4 hours ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

I have a family member with Asperger's so I knew he had it about 5 minutes into the show.

I knew in less than 4 minutes because he'd already told us. 😉

• Wink 1
  • LOL 5
13 hours ago, Thumper said:

The couple from Appleton, WI ( my home state!) were so hard to watch.  Did they agree on anything?   🤯

Yes, they agreed that the wife demanded everything, and the husband could have a place for his treadmill in the far reaches of the basement.        I am constantly amazed that people will give up something like the huge dining room for the kid to fill up with toys.     I'm guessing holiday meals will be at grandma's house.    

What the couple needed were separate houses, far apart from each other.     

I bet there were no other bidders, because people were suspicious of the back yard water.   I bet not only in the spring snow melt, but every time there's a big rain storm, that the pond forms.    Or else others had an inspection, and there were other issues on that house.    I bet there were other reasons that the house didn't have a bidding war, and why the homeowners jumped at the no inspections bid.  

I wonder how the husband wanted to pay the huge amount over asking and appraised price the cheaper third house would have?    When you get in a bidding war, and pay a huge amount over asking, that's all cash.   Unless the parents were so sick of having him and the wife around that they would pay it for them to leave. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Did the wife not realize that the selling price is just a starting point in this market? Saying they should look at higher priced homes to avoid a bidding war makes no sense. A house listed at $300k is likely to sell for at least $315 and probably a lot more.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Thumper said:

The couple from Appleton, WI ( my home state!) were so hard to watch.  Did they agree on anything?   🤯

And who takes a parent with them on the house hunting trips unless the parent is forking over big bucks toward the purchase.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, cameron said:

And who takes a parent with them on the house hunting trips unless the parent is forking over big bucks toward the purchase.

The couple that bought our last house brought his dad on one visit. It was their first home. He wasn't providing any cash. The dad was from the sticks and thought the kids were being robbed paying what we agreed to - a home in a very desirable neighborhood and school district.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, cameron said:

My IMMEDIATE THOUGHT!!!  

The husband better MAKE SURE his name is on the deed along with the wife!😃

• Love 2
2 hours ago, pdlinda said:

My IMMEDIATE THOUGHT!!!  

The husband better MAKE SURE his name is on the deed along with the wife!😃

Maybe the mother tagged along to give another opinion on the homes? It was never explained...but boy this couple was awful. He looked like he had a black eye and watching the wife with her spoiled brat personality that bordered on being a bully, I wondered if she didn't give him the black eye during one of their "disagreements". 

• Love 5

Interesting no one liked the Appleton wife, because in my house we hated hubby. Between his inability to understand how expenses beyond list price work and his suggestion that his full-time work at home wife should share her office with their infant we were booing him almost constantly. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

He looked like he had a black eye and watching the wife with her spoiled brat personality that bordered on being a bully, I wondered if she didn't give him the black eye during one of their "disagreements". 

I couldn't find a good word to say about EITHER OF THEM.  It seemed like a match made in "hell."☺️

• Like 3
  • Love 3

New episode, Vinings, GA area.   Kristen and Greg, she's a realtor, singer, and he owns businesses, they're a blended family, with grown kids, and grandkids, and their little one Isabella.   5 bedrooms, open concept huge kitchen she likes modern, he likes traditional.  He wants a fixer, and in Vinings.    The renoed a huge house and flipped it.  Her budget is 1.8 and his is 1.2 with reno added. 

House 1-Modern house, near Vinings, outside of Marietta.  built in 2021, 5 bed 5 bath, 4500 sq ft, 2 story.  House is very modern, and Greg thinks if they stay 10 years, the house finishes might be out of style, and need reno.   .2 acres, no room for a pool.  1 bed on first floor, 4 bedrooms upstairs with carpeted bedrooms. Main is upstairs, and bathroom is very modern and huge, and the closet is really big.   $1.6 million.

House 2-further from Atlanta, with a pool, but the price is better than #1.   Traditional style, $925k, built in 1987, 5320 sq ft,  2 story brick colonial.  6 bed 6.5 bath, stairs are very steep in the foyer, sunroom has a garage door window. pool is beautiful with a great back deck.  kitchen is a bit narrow and not open enough, two sets of stairs.  guest bath has a common shower in the middle, with vanities and toilets on each end.   Closet is huge.  Main bedroom, ensuite and closet are big.    Basement is a daylight basement and fully finished, with a humongous long bar.   And a huge steam shower, 

House 3-fixer, $ in Vinings, 799,900, built in 1970, 4 bed 3.5 bath, 3652 sq ft, definitely outdated kitchen, they want to enlarge the already big dining room. Main bedroom is nice, en suite will be ripped out and redone, there's actually another primary bedroom that's older, and needs work.   There is another bedroom on the first floor.  Bedrooms are smaller, but it is a 1970's house. Estimate for reno is $400k to $500k.   The bid $777k, but since she's the realtor she gave up her commision so the seller went with them. 

They pick #3, I would have picked #2 for the minimal updates, and the fantastic pool.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

The only thing I enjoyed about the Appleton episode was at the end with the kid gleefully whizzing around on the wood floor.

I was really surprised to see that. I didn't even know they sold those baby walkers anymore. They are considered very unsafe by pediatricians, and I believe they are banned in Canada.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

New episode, Vinings, GA area.   Kristen and Greg, she's a realtor, singer, and he owns businesses, they're a blended family, with grown kids, and grandkids, and their little one Isabella.   5 bedrooms, open concept huge kitchen she likes modern, he likes traditional.  He wants a fixer, and in Vinings.    The renoed a huge house and flipped it.  Her budget is 1.8 and his is 1.2 with reno added. 

House 1-Modern house, near Vinings, outside of Marietta.  built in 2021, 5 bed 5 bath, 4500 sq ft, 2 story.  House is very modern, and Greg thinks if they stay 10 years, the house finishes might be out of style, and need reno.   .2 acres, no room for a pool.  1 bed on first floor, 4 bedrooms upstairs with carpeted bedrooms. Main is upstairs, and bathroom is very modern and huge, and the closet is really big.   $1.6 million.

House 2-further from Atlanta, with a pool, but the price is better than #1.   Traditional style, $925k, built in 1987, 5320 sq ft,  2 story brick colonial.  6 bed 6.5 bath, stairs are very steep in the foyer, sunroom has a garage door window. pool is beautiful with a great back deck.  kitchen is a bit narrow and not open enough, two sets of stairs.  guest bath has a common shower in the middle, with vanities and toilets on each end.   Closet is huge.  Main bedroom, ensuite and closet are big.    Basement is a daylight basement and fully finished, with a humongous long bar.   And a huge steam shower, 

House 3-fixer, $ in Vinings, 799,900, built in 1970, 4 bed 3.5 bath, 3652 sq ft, definitely outdated kitchen, they want to enlarge the already big dining room. Main bedroom is nice, en suite will be ripped out and redone, there's actually another primary bedroom that's older, and needs work.   There is another bedroom on the first floor.  Bedrooms are smaller, but it is a 1970's house. Estimate for reno is $400k to $500k.   The bid $777k, but since she's the realtor she gave up her commision so the seller went with them. 

They pick #3, I would have picked #2 for the minimal updates, and the fantastic pool.   

Wonder what the age difference was between them.  He looked old enough to be her father.

Edited by cameron
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, kirklandia said:

I was really surprised to see that. I didn't even know they sold those baby walkers anymore. They are considered very unsafe by pediatricians, and I believe they are banned in Canada.

I agree, they are terribly unsafe.   I remember seeing a toddler roll right off a family room addition, that was a small step down, and do a face plant.     Easy to do the same thing on a full flight of stairs too.     They still sell a lot of models of it though.    They have more wheels than they used to, so they don't tip over so easily.     Since the house they picked had those stairs to the basement, I really can't believe they have the kid zooming around in that walker. 

I can't believe they were so focused on entertaining space, and  watching the kid at the same time, and they turned the separate dining room into a playroom.   I bet the wheels on the walker will do a real number on the hardwoods too.     A thoroughly unlikeable couple, and I think they picked the wrong house.    #2 was a better idea because no projects unless they wanted to change paint or something.    #1 with that back drainage issue will be a nightmare.   

The Vinings GA couple, I wonder how the remodel turned out?   It looked like they gutted at least the first floor.    I didn't really like the modern one, it looked cold to me, and those huge windows could get to be a big issue if the seals fail.     I agree with the husband, that house was so trendy, I bet in five years it will be totally outdated, and need a lot of work. 

However, I would have picked the second house with only some updates, over the total gut job they're doing on #3.     I wonder if it's really a flip house?   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Eta This is not a rebuttal to you, @CrazyInAlabamawe just cross posted differing views about walkers!

The mother going along didn’t faze me. I did notice she sat in her seat like a young child with her legs pulled up and she continuously rubbed them up and down. Also, in the beginning get to know them segment, the mother took up for her son in law for him to make sure he got what he wanted also so there was no unhappiness later. The daughter I think was just “on” a little personality wise for the cameras. They seemed like a good match and happy. I also loved the zooming kid. Walkers today aren’t like the off balance ones of yesteryear. They have breaking mechanisms and are bottom heavy for balance. Now stairs are still issues for them but just flying around the house is fine for them. 
I watched two in a row Kansas episodes. The last one was Kansas/Missouri boundary choices. They were a cute couple and I want to go visit the guy’s fun and loving and feed you food aunt and uncle! They offered $5,000 less and got the house and already did some updates during the reveal. 
The other one was with the lady from Brazil. I liked the house they chose vecause of the kitchen cabinets. They were a beautiful color. I liked her but he for some reason gave me the heebie jeebies.

Utah episode. Is it a thing to have basement apartments in new housing/new developements? That was so odd to me.

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Utah episode. Is it a thing to have basement apartments in new housing/new developements? That was so odd to me.

Lots of people want the basement or guest house apartment, either to rent out, or for the live-in nanny.   Sometimes they move a relative in too, or grandparents  help with child care.   Or they rent it out for short term rentals where that's allowed.   

They use it to justify over-paying for the house.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

@CrazyInAlabama Oh, okay about the Utah question. The way they presented it, or the way I took it?, was that they were rental apartments. Even the realtor always presented it that way, not as the other options. I guess it was for their story. After watching, if I were to ever be in a position to purchase in a new home development that would be one of my questions if there were an HOA or from the code board, Is this a neighborhood that is also a rental neighborhood? I am wording this poorly but it seems like it would be a detriment to have so many rentals if everyone was doing it that way. I am overthinking what is probably as I stated above just a plot point. But it did stand out to me. 

Edited by stewedsquash
tried for a bit more clarity of my issue but probably didn't succeed.
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

He looked like he had a black eye and watching the wife with her spoiled brat personality that bordered on being a bully, I wondered if she didn't give him the black eye during one of their "disagreements". 

2022-10-20_12-06-33.png.e31aaef13a8a4a70ec2194104a3fd660.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3