Type keyword(s) to search

Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

• Start Topic

(edited)

Welp. That looks like a movie.

The CGI looks shockingly unrefined. I think they would have done much better to make this an actual teaser, welcoming us back into the T2 world of this franchise (the return of Sarah Connor!) instead of action beat, action beat, action beat. Also a terminator pulling itself back together after getting shot at is less impressive after nearly 30 years of seeing that over and over.

Glad to see Linda Hamilton again regardless.

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 1

I just saw this trailer. Who is the young girl that the good Terminator and Linda Hamilton's character are protecting? Does anyone know? I can't wait to see Gabriel Luna's Terminator in action. He looks great in the trailer.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

Linda Hamilton! What an entrance for Sarah Connor she is back! That alone is worth my money. 

Awesome! Did they say they were going to use the same stunt actor that covered for Edward Furlong's character in the sequel or was that a rumor? 

Seriously how did I not know about this movie? You'd think I live in a cave. I'll be going to this one, the only ones I've ever watched are the ones with Linda Hamilton.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, festivus said:

Seriously how did I not know about this movie? You'd think I live in a cave. I'll be going to this one, the only ones I've ever watched are the ones with Linda Hamilton.

Then you watched the best ones. 

• Love 2

Ugh another one that just looks horrible. I literally don't have a clue what this movie is about except I am horrified at how old Linda Hamilton and Arnie got.  This franchise is just so done. Give it up. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I like that the trailer puts Sarah Connor and a female terminator in the foreground. I got into this franchise through the Sarah Connor Chronicles. To me, it's her story. I read somewhere, it's supposed to be a direct continuation of T2. That might not be a bad thing.

ETA: Linda Hamilton is over 60. That woman looks impressive.
However, I could do without uncle Arnie terminator. I'm fairly sure that might be an unpopular opinion.

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 6

Eh, if Jamie Lee Curtis can still kick ass in Halloween then Linda can still rock it in Terminator. She's the reason I watch these movies hence my never having watched any of the ones without her.

• Love 4

This movie is supposed to be a sequel to T2 and as such will disregard movies 3-5. However, I can't help but notice:

Gabriel Luna's Terminator is basically the T-3000 from Genisys, with a mimetic polyalloy coating over top, like the T-X had.

There's a Terminator that thinks it is human, just like we saw in Salvation.

The good guys are helped by an aged T-800, which was also in Genisys.

1 hour ago, dwmarch said:

This movie is supposed to be a sequel to T2 and as such will disregard movies 3-5. However, I can't help but notice:

Gabriel Luna's Terminator is basically the T-3000 from Genisys, with a mimetic polyalloy coating over top, like the T-X had.

There's a Terminator that thinks it is human, just like we saw in Salvation.

The good guys are helped by an aged T-800, which was also in Genisys.

I suspect that Mackenzie Davis is actually a cyborg, a human upgraded with robot parts. That was in one of the book trilogies. Not the SM Stirling one, the other one. Can't remember the author.

• Love 2
On 5/30/2019 at 1:05 AM, Trini said:

It always someone integral to the future resistance that they protect, right?

Spoiler

I saw a you tube video claiming to have spoilers from a test audience and it does not sound good. The Spanish girl is the new savior after John Connor is killed a short time after T2 ended. 

On 5/25/2019 at 3:25 AM, dwmarch said:

This movie is supposed to be a sequel to T2 and as such will disregard movies 3-5.

In that case, where did Arnie's terminator come from?  He was destroyed/melted at the end of T2.

6 hours ago, Hanahope said:

In that case, where did Arnie's terminator come from?  He was destroyed/melted at the end of T2.

Just another one off the assembly line.

• Love 1
On 6/14/2019 at 6:54 AM, Hanahope said:

Spoiler

From what I have gathered so far, Arnie is not playing a Terminator at all but rather the human inspiration for such. However, I do not think they are going to go ahead and give us Sgt. Candy:

On 5/23/2019 at 11:25 AM, festivus said:

Yeah. Linda Hamilton is big shoes to fill for this role. However, I think Lena Heaney,  in the Sarah Connor Chronicles, came closest to capturing the badassey and essence of the iconic character Linda Hamilton created in the movies. 

I saw the trailer for this one at the movies the other night, and though I’m kind of over the Terminator series, I will likely check this one out because Linda and Arnold are back, with James Cameron as executive producer. So this might actually be good. 

• Love 3

A new trailer just came out:

I love that Gabriel Luna's Terminator has a dark sense of humor and expresses regret for having to murder some guards. Most of the Terminators have shown emotion to some degree (or at least a very cunning ability to fake it) so seeing him smirk as he tells the guards his whole body is a weapon is pure gold.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, dwmarch said:

A new trailer just came out:

I love that Gabriel Luna's Terminator has a dark sense of humor and expresses regret for having to murder some guards. Most of the Terminators have shown emotion to some degree (or at least a very cunning ability to fake it) so seeing him smirk as he tells the guards his whole body is a weapon is pure gold.

That was better than expected. Couple of moments I liked, the visual of the terminators coming out of the water. Also, Sarah's first instinct to shoot Arnie. She didn't bond with Uncle Bob that much.

Has it been mentioned anywhere the significance of Natalie Reyes' character?

23 hours ago, Anduin said:

Has it been mentioned anywhere the significance of Natalie Reyes' character?

Not as such but we have already seen in the Terminator franchise (specifically Terminator 3) that Skynet considers it worthwhile to send the most advanced of units back just to kill John Connor's lieutenants.

1 hour ago, dwmarch said:

Not as such but we have already seen in the Terminator franchise (specifically Terminator 3) that Skynet considers it worthwhile to send the most advanced of units back just to kill John Connor's lieutenants.

Yeah, that's a possibility. But as you pointed out, it's already been done. Would they really repeat themselves? Silly question, yes. So you might be onto something. 🙂

• Love 1
On 7/20/2019 at 3:40 PM, Anela said:

Linda Hamilton! I'm in for this one.

I have no doubt she will be bale to bring like she did all those years ago.  You felt her missing from the rest of the movies.  Much like Beauty and the Beast the series without it was over. 

• Love 2

I'm afraid this will be a "wait and see" movie for me. I would be happy if the reviews are positive but this franchise seems to have gone the way of Predator and Alien(s): failed attempts at recapturing former glory. 

I feel the Terminator story could continue in interesting ways but the movies can't let go of trying to bring back Schwarzenegger, so everything bogs down into a convoluted, timey-wimey inexplicable mess.. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 4
On 8/31/2019 at 10:23 PM, ShadowHunter said:

I have no doubt she will be bale to bring like she did all those years ago.  You felt her missing from the rest of the movies.  Much like Beauty and the Beast the series without it was over. 

I just can't get over how horribly she has aged. She looks positively ancient. It puts me off seeing it when I wonder if the kick back from the gun is going to break her arm. 

I am really hoping that this one will erase the horrible memories of the last few Terminator movies for me ( much like Balboa did for the Rocky movies ). I could really use a reminder of why I enjoyed the first ones so much, and if it is good I'll be happy to ignore that the others were ever made.

I wouldn't be feeling this way without Linda Hamilton"s presence. I am very pleased to see that the powers that be are finally accepting the fact that women over 50 are still strong and vital and are completely over the BS of being put out to pasture (by Hollywood) after age 40. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, BooBear said:

I just can't get over how horribly she has aged. She looks positively ancient. It puts me off seeing it when I wonder if the kick back from the gun is going to break her arm. 

I read an article in which she said that she wanted people to say, "Wow, she got so old!" I clicked out of the link, so I don't have it handy now. I almost didn't read it, because it said she hadn't had sex in fifteen years, and I thought, "So? Why are they asking her about that?" It turned out she just enjoys being single, she's happy with her life.

6 hours ago, Anela said:

I read an article in which she said that she wanted people to say, "Wow, she got so old!" I clicked out of the link, so I don't have it handy now. I almost didn't read it, because it said she hadn't had sex in fifteen years, and I thought, "So? Why are they asking her about that?" It turned out she just enjoys being single, she's happy with her life.

Not buying that. She knows she looks old... trying to save face.  Arnold isn't looking too great either. The whole thing just looks like a train wreck. This storyline is completely played out.  

• Love 1

The old comments are why Hollywood won't cast mature women in leading roles and pressures women to mutilate their faces to look "younger." I am sure Linda Hamilton could have had cosmetic surgery before she started filming the movie, she just chose not to. Besides cosmetic surgery can do only do so much as you age, look at Arnold.

• Love 17
4 hours ago, SimoneS said:

The old comments are why Hollywood won't cast mature women in leading roles

Well maybe they shouldn't if they look like this. This movie is not going to help matters.  If she was playing a mom sitting around talking ok but I am going to have to cringe watching her walking around with the massive machine gun when she looks like she has osteoporosis. I am going to guess that for years she didn't want to do the role because she thought she was too old... she is.  Arnold is laughable as well but at least he has the "terminator" to fall back on. In theory in these movies he is a machine. 

Sigourney Weaver is 70 and probably could do an action role. Linda Hamilton... nope. 

44 minutes ago, BooBear said:

Well maybe they shouldn't if they look like this. This movie is not going to help matters.  If she was playing a mom sitting around talking ok but I am going to have to cringe watching her walking around with the massive machine gun when she looks like she has osteoporosis. I am going to guess that for years she didn't want to do the role because she thought she was too old... she is.  Arnold is laughable as well but at least he has the "terminator" to fall back on. In theory in these movies he is a machine. 

Sigourney Weaver is 70 and probably could do an action role. Linda Hamilton... nope. 

She said that experts were doing the best they could with her training, and getting her in shape. I like that she doesn't care if she looks old. I wish I had her attitude. 

• Love 5

HaHaHaHa! I'm SO glad I have reached the point in my life where I can just laugh at opinions that state you can't do something if you don't look a certain way. 😄

As my husband is fond of pointing out...women are finally taking their power. They are running their own production companies, and roles are finally becoming available that show women over 40 as more than "the mom". 

Strong women being cast in action roles is happening more often. The tide is turning, and I will support any movie to TV series that follows this lead.

Anyway, back to this movie. 

The trailer gives me enough to hope that it will erase the mistakes of the past few entries in the series. I am hoping it will clean up the timeline enough for me to call myself a fan of this series again. 

• Love 15

Hmmm. I'm wondering if they are taking inspiration from the TV show.

Spoiler

The show ended with John and Sarah separated by time. Sarah is left alone in the present while John jumps forward. And Sarah has recieved news of a missing Danny Dyson which suggests that Danny created Skynet. Danny is listed in the films character list.

That would please me as the show was awesome and went in far more interesting directions than the sequels.

PS. Fun factoid. The goofy voice of Sgt Candy is none other than Samuel L. Jackson.

Edited by MrsR
  • Love 1

Red band trailer, which means violence and swearing.

However, this still doesn't move me. I've seen bad trailers for good movies before, Mad Max Fury Road comes to mind, but this time I can't bring myself to feel any enthusiasm. I'll wait for the reviews.

• Useful 1

I love how Linda Hamilton looks. She clearly hasn't gone the plastic surgery route, she's not getting fillers or botox. She looks like a woman in her early sixties who's lived and aged. No fucking way would Sarah Connor, the Mother of the Resistance, look like some weirdly smooth-faced socialite who Hasn't Aged A Day!; not after everything she's seen and done, not with the burdens she carries. She's gonna have wrinkles and age spots and sun damage- she's spent decades on the run from killer robots, including a stint in a mental institution, trying to prevent and then survive the apocalypse and raise her hotheaded son to be the savior of mankind. I highly doubt she'd have a 10 step skin routine. I'd be pissed if they'd plucked and stuffed Hamilton's face until she looked like Madonna.

I don't have feelings about the trailer one way or the other. Some good movies have bad trailers and some bad movies have good ones and I can't tell by the trailer which one this will be. But I am absolutely seeing this in theater because I have missed Sarah Connor.

Edited by slf
  • Love 23
3 hours ago, slf said:

I love how Linda Hamilton looks. She clearly hasn't gone the plastic surgery route, she's not getting fillers or botox. She looks like a woman in her early sixties who's lived and aged. No fucking way would Sarah Connor, the Mother of the Resistance, look like some weirdly smooth-faced socialite who Hasn't Aged A Day!; not after everything she's seen and done, not with the burdens she carries. She's gonna have wrinkles and age spots and sun damage- she's spent decades on the run from killer robots, including a stint in a mental institution, trying to prevent and then survive the apocalypse and raise her hotheaded son to be the savior of mankind. I highly doubt she'd have a 10 step skin routine. I'd be pissed if they'd plucked and stuffed Hamilton's face until she looked like Madonna.

After that, I hate to link this, but I have to. They padded out her costume with boobs and butt.

I can understand why producers would get actors to work out. To make them look like they've spent their lives fighting evil, instead of enjoying the spoils of victory a little too much. But that's not an excuse in this case.