Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E11: Upstate Girls

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 5/17/2019 at 11:22 PM, Juneau Gal said:

I stand corrected. Thank you. I still think there is something suspicious about the furnishing though. 

It's probably furnished to be a VRBO or Airbnb-type income source.  It's the only explanation for the bedroom/kitchen bizarrity.  Multi-family rental or something of that sort.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
44 minutes ago, AnnA said:

@Mondrianyone  "Nobody cares."     I burst out laughing when I read that in your post.  I've had out of state visitors question me about it and I pretty much told them "that's the way it is."  The other thing people don't get is that someone can live IN the city or ON Long Island but no one lives IN Long Island. LOL

I was born in Brooklyn, raised in Queens and have lived on Long Island since the late seventies.   

LuAnn's house is definitely considered "upstate" by anyone living in NYC or on Long Island.    Just about anything  north of the Bronx is considered "upstate."  

Y e s.  That’s what I say.  Who gives a shit anyhow?  She’ll probably move soon when she sees a bear.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

is it really that big of a deal to get from WeHo to Marina Del Ray, or Duluth to Metro Atlanta?  (The answer is apparently a resounding "yes" lol).

I live right next to Duluth and about 5 minutes from the  community where Nene, Porsha live. I used to work in downtown Atlanta and the commute was hell and I know he has gotten even worse in the last 5-10 years.  

Our county is a nice area with lots of things going on - great as long as you don’t have to commute everyday into midtown or downtown Atlanta.

Metro Atlanta traffic is awful

• Love 3

This discussion about the city, upstate, Long Island, etc. is so funny because I grew up in NYC.  Well, actually the Bronx.  Yes, it's The Bronx.  You never would say Bronx except if you were addressing an envelope.

Queens and Brooklyn are boroughs of NYC.  So you wouldn't say LI even though it's technically part of LI.   

You can say you live on Long Island because it is an island.  But you wouldn't say you live on Manhattan, even though it's an island too.   Although part of the Bronx is actually on Manhattan Island.

Staten Island is an island too and that's what it's obviously referred to.  It's also NYC and a borough.

Lu's house is upstate NY.  For me, upstate starts around the West Point area.  I don't consider Rockland or Westchester counties upstate.  They're suburbs of NYC.

OK. I'll quit here but I could go on about UES, midtown, downtown.  I could also could explain North Jersey, Central Jersey, South Jersey, the Shore and how they're like different states.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, breezy424 said:

Lu's house is upstate NY.  For me, upstate starts around the West Point area.  I don't consider Rockland or Westchester counties upstate.  They're suburbs of NYC.

I have to laugh because I almost asked about whether West Point was considered “upstate” or not! You read my mind.

My dad was from Westchester County (south of Peekskill-ish... yet another reason I was obsessed with Facts of Life as a kid!) and I used to say I had family in “upstate New York” (because that was the best way I had to explain it I guess? Or I thought anything not NYC was upstate? Not sure). One time my dad heard me say this and he said “no, they’re not upstate.” I don’t recall precisely where it started but I think to him, “upstate” was probably north of Dutchess County. 

• Love 1
On 5/18/2019 at 1:19 PM, Juneau Gal said:

Lu's house reminds me of the years I lived AT a lighthouse (the Pt. Loma Lighthouse in San Diego. Coast Guard. Long story.). People kept asking me how I placed my furniture or put stuff on the walls. It took me quite the while to figure out that people thought I was living IN the lighthouse, with its round walls and all. Now to see Lu actually living in a round house amuses me.

The building I live in has 12 units in turrets. Initially it is appealing with the windows and light. But then you start to notice all the wasted space. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 5/18/2019 at 2:18 AM, Rubyslippahz said:

Although I remember the first season when Lu's son was upset she was missing taco night at home to go out on the town.  Anyway I thought Bethenny made her point and Luann looked like a narcissistic fool arguing with her.  

See this is why I think you have to feel sorry for Luann. She's clearly a very deluded and lonely person which is why she jumps from one thing to next: "countess, countess, countess!" "Tom, balm beach, soul mates, Tom, balm beach!" and now "cabaret, cabaret, cabaret!" I don't think there's anything of real substance in her life so she goes all extreme and obsessive over one thing after another to fill a void, as well as excessive drinking. If she had stayed home more when her kids were younger instead of going out on the town she would probably have a better relationship with them now and wouldn't be getting sued by them. She just can't understand why Bethenny would want to stay at home with her kids instead of go out. It doesn't compute with Luann. 

• Love 7
18 hours ago, breezy424 said:

This discussion about the city, upstate, Long Island, etc. is so funny because I grew up in NYC.  Well, actually the Bronx.  Yes, it's The Bronx.  You never would say Bronx except if you were addressing an envelope.

Queens and Brooklyn are boroughs of NYC.  So you wouldn't say LI even though it's technically part of LI.   

You can say you live on Long Island because it is an island.  But you wouldn't say you live on Manhattan, even though it's an island too.   Although part of the Bronx is actually on Manhattan Island.

Staten Island is an island too and that's what it's obviously referred to.  It's also NYC and a borough.

OK. I'll quit here but I could go on about UES, midtown, downtown.  I could also could explain North Jersey, Central Jersey, South Jersey, the Shore and how they're like different states.

Breezy.....you made my day!  LOL

Of course it's THE Bronx.   Thanks for reminding us.   😍

I ❤️ New York

On 5/20/2019 at 12:03 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

I think this is a very thoughtful post.  I never thought about it with regard to the attitude and the access folks had to NYC before, so I'll have to digest that.

Just to add my $.02 of what "upstate" is (not that anyone asked lol) --

And to further add to the confusion as to what is considered "upstate," when I first started practicing law in Florida, my boss was from a suburb of Rochester.  When I mentioned that he was from "upstate," there was like this long pause, and he was like, "you consider Rochester 'upstate'?  You don't consider it 'western New York?'" And I was like,"...I didn't even know there was a distinction...but, yeah, western New York.  What you said."  So, long story short, some people only consider what is northern New York, like Plattsburgh, to be "upstate," whereas Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo are "western New York."

First: Thank you LibertarianSlut!

Laughing about your boss because when I was a little kid, we lived in a suburb of Rochester - Greece - and nobody in our extended family in the Finger Lakes, Syracuse, etc. called it western New York. (Most of my family were farming or trades people who'd grown up there.) It was either "purt' near" or "purt' far."

Brrr, Plattsburgh. I get almost as cold thinking about that place as I do thinking about Lu's tile floors. And all those windows! I think that stove is there to warm the room.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 5/21/2019 at 9:23 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

@film noire, we are all looking forward to your posts. Where have you been?

I've been to see the Queen! (Victoria Day in Canada, not Luann -- naked but for a statement necklace & dry-humping her own reflection in a full length mirror).  

On 5/21/2019 at 10:39 AM, ivygirl said:

Come back to the five and dime, @film noire, Film Noire!

Whoa! (flings hair back in best Cher impersonation).

• Love 4
On 5/17/2019 at 10:07 PM, Mondrianyone said:

Ramona remarked on the clear acrylic dining chairs, which look like the same ones as in the listing ph

They showed the chairs again tonight and they weren’t clear acrylic so I don’t know what Ramona was talking about if she said that. There was one clear acrylic chair in the room with the kitchen.

Lu’s house is really ugly. Those photos y’all posted all the rooms are small, angled and cramped feeling. Reminds me of a trailer inside. 

The views with all the windows and water is very nice, though.  

It is a perfect home for a couple or to use for weekends.  

The breakfast looked good.  I want some smoked salmon.  (With bagel and cheese)

Does Lu still own the Hampton’s home? What happened with that?

(why did she need this home?)

32 minutes ago, Dance4Life said:

Lu’s house is really ugly. Those photos y’all posted all the rooms are small, angled and cramped feeling. Reminds me of a trailer inside. 

The views with all the windows and water is very nice, though.  

It is a perfect home for a couple or to use for weekends.

It's really not that small. I think it's 2400 sq ft for just one person. I think there's a lot of wasted space because it's round.

The breakfast looked good.  I want some smoked salmon.  (With bagel and cheese)

Does Lu still own the Hampton’s home? What happened with that?

(why did she need this home?)

I think Luann may still own a percentage of the Hamptons home, but it's clear she added the kids' names to the title as she had agreed to do during the divorce. I don't believe Luann needed this house. I think she wanted this house because she was a lot less likely to have her shenanigans reported to the press because it's a lot more remote.

• Love 5