Type keyword(s) to search

Miscellaneous Messages: Mixed-ish in the Media

• Start Topic

Anticipate Mixed-ish Here!

The second spin-off of black-ish, Mixed-ish will follow preteen Bow.  Bow and her siblings also must adapt to suburbia and a mainstream school after their parents move from a commune.

Premieres Fall 2019.

‘Mixed-ish’ To Recast A Lead As Anders Holm Exits ‘Black-ish’ Spinoff

Holm played Paul Johnson, Bow’s father. Arica Himmel stars as young Bow Johnson, Tika Sumpter as her mom, Alicia Johnson, Christina Anthony as Denise, Mykal-Michelle Harris as Santamonica Johnson and Ethan Childress as Johan Johnson.

Mixed-ish originated as planted spinoff, which was intended to air as a “Becoming Bow” episode of black-ish this week. In light of the mixed-ish series order, that episode will now be held for next season and will air with the new actor as Paul.

I'm disappointed in Ander Holm's exit.  He's a solid actor and quite funny.  But it doesn't sound like it was really Holm's decision, going off of his Instagram page. 

I'm thinking that they jumped at the chance to have Mark Paul Gosselaar when Pitch was officially canceled.  I thought he was much older than Tika Sumpter, but the difference is only 5-6 years.

On 9/22/2019 at 5:23 PM, Amethyst said:

I'm thinking that they jumped at the chance to have Mark Paul Gosselaar when Pitch was officially canceled.  I thought he was much older than Tika Sumpter, but the difference is only 5-6 years.

I think you mean The Passage which was the mid season show he was on last season.  Pitch (a show I loved) was 3 seasons ago. But I do agree producers were just waiting on him and scooped him up immediately. 

'Mixed-ish' Creators Sued for Allegedly Stealing Concept

Actress Hayley Marie Norman is suing ABC, Tracee Ellis Ross, Kenya Barris and others claiming they appropriated a show she'd been pitching and turned it into Black-ish spinoff Mixed-ish.

Norman says in October 2017 she signed a deal with Big Breakfast to write, executive produce and star in the series. That company shares a parent with Artists First, a production and management company that counts Ross and Barris among its clients. She alleges both Ross and her manager Brian Dobbins were involved in the development of her series and claims Dobbins pitched it to Barris but he wasn't interested.

Her series, which is described as "a 30-minute sitcom, employing flashbacks, that follows the journey of a mixed-race female protagonist as she grapples with her biracial identity while living in the suburbs surrounded by both sides of her African American and Caucasian families," was pitched in late 2018 to Showtime, Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Amazon and Starz, and they all passed.

In January 2019, Norman says Ross advised that they revisit the series in a few months after rethinking the pitch, but the next month she read that ABC was in development on a Black-ish prequel centered on Ross' character Rainbow Johnson.

[...]

"The premise is identical, its portrayal is identical, its setting is identical, and its tone is identical," writes attorney Michael Plonsker in the complaint. "Moreover, literally everyone involved in the 'creative' and 'production' aspect of 'Mixed-ish' was either directly or indirectly involved with Norman and the development of Norman’s Series — from Big Breakfast and Ross to Artists First and Dobbins, to Barris who ostensibly passed on Norman’s Series after being presented with it, and to ABC, which knowingly proceeded with airing a series it knew was the result of a theft and rip off perpetrated by the above-mentioned parties."

Norman's claims include breach of contract, breach of confidence, intentional misrepresentation and intentional interference with contract. She's seeking compensatory and punitive damages and restitution of the money defendants have made in connection with the series.

On 9/25/2020 at 4:41 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The name Hayley sounded familiar and then I remembered she held Case #25 on Deal or No Deal back in the day.   As long as she can prove that she worked previously with Ross and Barris and has proof that it was her idea, she may have a case.   However the courts may not rule in her favor.   There was a similar case with Tatyana Ali suing Warner Bros over stealing her idea for The Real.   That case later got tossed by the court.  https://deadline.com/2017/02/tatyana-ali-verdict-the-real-lawsuit-1201973723/

In summary the court stated, trade secret laws do not protect IDEAS.    

Edited by Meedis
grammatical error

Well I'm bummed.  At first I didn't think I was going to like this show (and didn't watch) because I'd grown tired of Black-ish and thought it'd be more of the same but then I gave it a shot and I really liked it and far prefer it to Black-ish. I'd much rather see another season of this show then another season of man baby Dre and constantly asking myself "where's that baby they had a few years ago?".

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

I’m so bummed!  It was such a sweet show and a welcome break every week.   And it was consistently funny.  (Looking at you Connors).  Man, I’m still upset at ABC for cancelling the Kids are Alright and this doesn’t help.  Maybe Freeform will pick it up.  ☹️

• Love 7

Sad to hear. The ratings weren’t solid but like others said, it was a sweet show. Gary Cole made for a great grandpa in spite of his character’s flaws

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Gary Cole made for a great grandpa in spite of his character’s flaws

Exactly. In the first few episodes, I just thought he was a dumb racist trope. But Gary Cole brought warmth to the role. 

• Love 4

This show is by far the best of all the -ish shows so it’s disappointing that it was the first one to be cancelled. It’s consistently funny, doesn’t recycle the same plots (black-ish: Dre is a man baby every week, grown-ish: Zoey either loves Aaron or Luca this week), has a great cast, and the best music. 

• Love 12

I am guessing they are in the process of breaking final ties with Kenya Barris. That is what it sounds like.  I do wonder how much longer Growin-ish is for this world...?

I am sad because I saw this one as having a lot of potential to grow and every character I enjoyed unlike the the OG where I could barely tolerate Dre and couldn't stand Ruby.  That one always felt more mean spirited than this one. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

I really enjoyed Mixed-ish, but the originality felt like it was running dry recently, so I understand.

I agree.  It did feel at times like we were watching recycled Black-ish storylines.  I also think the pandemic hurt the show's momentum, in that instead of returning in the fall after the first season, they didn't come back until January.   

• Love 1

The Mark-Paul Gosselaar curse continues.   The last few shows he's starred in usually don't make it past season 1.   I still mourn The Passage.   Totally bummed by the news.

It always makes me sad when shows like this are cancelled after the last episode has been shot because it deprives the cast and crew of the opportunity to have that one last day together to say their goodbyes (and of course it also makes me sad that the writers didn't have the chance to wrap things up the way they wanted to end the show). I'm sure the adult cast will be fine and get cast in more projects, but I really hope the three kids aren't taking it too hard.

• Love 8
On 5/14/2021 at 7:06 PM, LBS said:

I’m so bummed!  It was such a sweet show and a welcome break every week.   And it was consistently funny.  (Looking at you Connors).  Man, I’m still upset at ABC for cancelling the Kids are Alright and this doesn’t help.  Maybe Freeform will pick it up.  ☹️

I hated they cancelled The Kids are Alright too! 🤬

Couldn't they give it one more season so it closes out with Blackish? I wish Freeform will pick it up or Netflix. 

• Love 1
On 5/15/2021 at 10:18 PM, DearEvette said:

For me it was Pitch.  Sigh.  I still get a sad when I see that in my Hulu queue.

(quietly sobs) That one HURT.  

On 5/15/2021 at 10:11 PM, Meedis said:

The Mark-Paul Gosselaar curse continues.   The last few shows he's starred in usually don't make it past season 1.   I still mourn The Passage.   Totally bummed by the news.

Oddly enough, because The Passage was cancelled, he was quickly picked up to replace Ike Barinholtz from the pilot.