Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E22: Broker and Broker

Bort
  • Start Topic

When a lottery winner is admitted to the hospital, Bell turns to him as a potential solution to Chastain's financial problems. Nic becomes infuriated when Alec suggests she meet with an organ broker in hopes of saving Jessie's life, but after her other ideas fail, she brings the idea to Conrad. Meanwhile, Devon and Irving help Mina piece together details from her night out after The Raptor sidelines her for an upcoming surgery.

Airdate: Monday, April 29, 2019

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I can't believe they've devoted so much time to Nic's sister and that damn kidney!

Me too.

How would Nic come up with $100k to pay Sherlock Holmes' father?

I wonder how much it cost Conrad to get the sister on the donor list. I sure hope this kidney stuff ends soon. My prediction is that Kyle (Arnie Becker) will somehow "expire" and his organs will become available.

I guess we won't be seeing Lyle Menendez any longer.

Edited by preeya
  • Like 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 6
34 minutes ago, yourdreamer said:

I bet Conrad offered to leave Chastain for the donor list exception. Only other thing would be money, and it’s his father that has it, not Conrad. 

But I could see Conrad's dad willing to commit money to the cause of the girl Conrad likes and possibly to save Chastain because Conrad loves it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 8
46 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

But I could see Conrad's dad willing to commit money to the cause of the girl Conrad likes and possibly to save Chastain because Conrad loves it. 

Conrad probably has a sizeable trust fund he just refuses to use. Not too mention he's the sole heir too a major mogul with a known medical issue. Conrad is a whale. He was looking at a multi-million dollar house not that long ago after all. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10

I really liked the lotto winner. Hoping to see him again.

Mina and her scenes with the guys were comedy gold. When they heard “raptor” and got that look on their faces...I couldn’t stop laughing. Definitely made up for this ridiculous kidney storyline. I honestly don’t give a shit about Nic’s sister. It was nice seeing Sherlock’s father.

• LOL 4
  • Love 11

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought too much of the episode was devoted to Nic's sister and the whole kidney "dilemma".  I could;d care less about this storyline and it needs to end--hopefully next week.   Looks like this was Alec's swan song, though!

Bell's as unscrupulous as ever - playing on the lotto guy's feelings to "secure" his winnings to get funding for Chastain but Raptor is astute enough to know and see what he's up to.    I just love how the writers introduce a storyline that comes out of thin air *sigh*, i.e., I didn't realize Chastain was in such dire straits and yet Bell blames Lane and Quo Vadis for this of which he had a hand in both?!   Ballsy of him!

I, too, wonder what Conrad had to give in order for selfish, unrepentant Jessy to be placed at the top of the donor list.  Yep, he has money but really, would he go that far for Nic especially with her ambivalence towards him?  I know, I know - he loves her!

Mina - that was quite OOC for her but must admit, glad she acknowledged her feelings for Raptor--even if she alleges she was in a fugue state (yeah right - LOL!)

• Love 3

That was a really great episode even with the garbage sister storyline. If I just ignore the garbage sister who I want to die, I actually really liked how it was written.

Loved all the Connic scenes. I love how well these two support each other and handle each other when they are in the midst of a crisis. They work very well together, broken up or not and this ep really showed that. I liked that they had Conrad confront Alec but it didn't spiral into a punch up or some sort of egocentric fight. He got through to him about how terrible it was for Nic to go down this path and likewise Alec sort of saw the error of his ways. They made him shady but not crazy "Muhahahahaha" evil which I find refreshing.

Emily VanCamp's acting was excellent this ep. The little movements, the slight trembling. Kill that wretched sister to give Nic a really emotional scene and be done with this garbage sister business!

Also liked how they squeezed in a scene with Nic and Mina. The writers don't forget the friendship details despite these two ladies having completely seperate storylines which I really appreciate.

Oh how I adored Bell in this episode! Back to his smooth and slippery self. Bruce Greenwood is a genius! His expressions from when the guy agreed to donate, when he was watching Raptor tap the guy to drain the fluid and right at the end when he realised Lotto guy's financial arrangements were hilarious! 

Mina, Devon and Irving were hilarious and all kinds of adorable. It was OOC for her to be embroiled in such shenanigans but I can buy her being unable to process her feelings and doing such a thing. Bonus scene with Mina and Bell! This was a highlight of this ep for me and I enjoyed all of it so that says a lot. The gang were just too cute and I almost died of laughter when Bell's assistant said Mina loved dinosaurs! 

It is all kinds of cute how Raptor called her and was so excited about the guy with the heart on the wrong side. I am not sure I know what I want to happen here but I am happy to be led along by the writers.

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, cathmed said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought too much of the episode was devoted to Nic's sister and the whole kidney "dilemma".  I could;d care less about this storyline and it needs to end--hopefully next week.   Looks like this was Alec's swan song, though!

I'd actually like to see the sister die, that's how not attached to her I am - plus I think it would free Nic from this whole soul killing story line where every member of her family sucks the life out of her. Because honestly, garbage sister is a TERRIBLE candidate for a kidney transplant. If she lives, she seems like the flighty sort that won't handle the drug regime well which means Nic will be essentially her life long nurse. 

So, Dr. Hottie wasn't a rapist but WAS an organ broker... what a peach!

• Love 15

So let me get this straight. Sherlock's father wanted $100k from Nic, of which only $10k would go to the actual donor and Daddy Sherlock gets to pocket $90k less expenses for unscrupulous surgeons & facilities.  Is that the correct scenario?

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, preeya said:

So let me get this straight. Sherlock's father wanted $100k form Nic, of which only $10k would go to the actual donor and Daddy Sherlock gets to pocket $90k less expenses for unscrupulous surgeons & facilities.  Is that the correct scenario?

Or did Alec get some kind of finders fee himself?

Rolled my eyes at Alec saying to Nic as he leaves that the charity clinic (or whatever it's called) was really 'all her'. Again, she's just a nurse practitioner, right?

• Love 6
1 minute ago, sempervivum said:

I forgot to mention that I laughed at seeing Noah, the undercover cop on Good Girls, as the lottery winner in this episode. He seems to fit the 'nebbish' roles.

I thought he looked familiar, just couldn't place him.

10 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Rolled my eyes at Alec saying to Nic as he leaves that the charity clinic (or whatever it's called) was really 'all her'. Again, she's just a nurse practitioner, right?

While I think Nic's skills are overdone considering her youth, a nurse practitioner is someone who has a B.S degree in nursing, at least a master's degree and often a doctorate and hundreds of hours of clinical practice. It wouldn't be unusual for a nurse practitioner to run a clinic. 

• Love 9

Well. Now we know how Sherlock's father made his bones. 

I'm pretty much with everyone else. I'm ready for this kidney storyline to be done. No matter how you view addiction, it's not unreasonable for a hospital to require a long period of time before considering an addict for a transplant. Giving a person who is destroying their body more body to destroy is wildly irresponsible. In the immortal words of Emily Gilmore, "When a woman has a crack baby, you don't buy her a puppy!"

1 hour ago, Rap541 said:

I think it would free Nic from this whole soul killing story line where every member of her family sucks the life out of her.

I hear that. I would love to see her come to a point where she realizes that she's got to take care of herself instead of letting everyone do her in just because she's related to them. Then again, that would go back to her having to admit that she...dare I say that she's addicted to being needed by her family like that? Dangit show, stop making me write for you. You don't pay me.

I still like Bell. I think he's become a pretty balanced character, in a fun way. All props to Bruce Greenwood on that. He has these totally awesome moments, like pretty much reducing that guy in the club to nothing and walking out, balanced out by getting a little karmic kick in the teeth for his sucking up later on. Both sides are totally believable, and I have grown to love him. 

Heh, Mina loves velociraptors. Velociraptors love you right back, Mina. 

• Love 15
7 hours ago, Rap541 said:

While I think Nic's skills are overdone considering her youth, a nurse practitioner is someone who has a B.S degree in nursing, at least a master's degree and often a doctorate and hundreds of hours of clinical practice. It wouldn't be unusual for a nurse practitioner to run a clinic. 

In rural or otherwise under served areas, this is a reality. Many clinics will have a supervising physician who comes in once a week or so to sign the few prescriptions that a nurse practitioner can't by law. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Can anyone tell me what Mina did that night? I must have missed some lines. She and some colleagues drank a lot and crashed a bar mitzvah, but what was she doing on the golf course? Was her head injured by the golf cart? Thanks!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Driad said:

Can anyone tell me what Mina did that night? I must have missed some lines. She and some colleagues drank a lot and crashed a bar mitzvah, but what was she doing on the golf course? Was her head injured by the golf cart? Thanks!

From what I could tell, she and Bell's assistant got suuuuuuper drunk (presumably because she was jealous that The Raptor had a date), did some karaoke, crashed the bar mitzvah (where she ended up with Bell's suit because she was underdressed), and ended up going for a joy ride with another guest, the lottery winner who was trying to figure out his life. They flipped the golf cart and she was thrown clear (and bumped her head), while the other guy ended up under the cart.

I think that's the gist. Someone feel free to correct my timeline.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Oh how I adored Bell in this episode! Back to his smooth and slippery self. Bruce Greenwood is a genius! His expressions from when the guy agreed to donate, when he was watching Raptor tap the guy to drain the fluid and right at the end when he realised Lotto guy's financial arrangements were hilarious! 

Oh yes!   Me too!  He was starting to get too warm and fuzzy, especially with Daphne Moon!  Medical Saints are on every channel, but only one Bell.

• Love 3

This was a mess of an episode, even more than usual. And half of it was too boring - the kidney saga. Like many, I am so over the drama. 

I was so sure that to be placed on a transplant list a lot of things need to happen and the decision is not up to one person in one hospital. What did I miss? Even if Bell had said "ok, if the kidney arrives, Nic's sister can have it" but the list is national, and what difference would it make if Chastain "allows" it or not? 

So many people need organs and I think the system is all messed up. I disagree with some here that think the sister shouldn't have the kidney. I think anyone who needs an organ should get it. Of course, that's impossible since donation is an opt in, instead of what it should be, an opt out. But the way the show is going about having a kidney go to her, while the hospital is in ATLANTA and I am sure there are a long list of people who needs a kidney in that huge area, is pretty pathetic, no resemblance with reality. None. 

I will not be surprised if Conrad himself finds the donor, transplant the kidney while ordering all the surgeons around. I don't think he had to give up anything. The writers have already let us know who is the real boss in that place. The Resident! He rules! (ugh) 

• Like 1

John Noble has played a bad/creepy guy on just about every show I've ever seen him in.  I mean, he's good at it, so I guess I can't complain, lol. I hope there are no plans on making him semi-regular, though he seems kind of a big name for just a one-ep guest spot.

• Love 1