Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E20: Strange Bedfellows

wknt3
  • Start Topic

Erin must convince Frank to back a new state police bill as part of a bargain she made with Governor Mendez. Also, Danny and Baez pursue the same perp twice after the DA's office is unconvinced by their initial lineup, and Frank faces a challenge when a cop killer comes up for parole.

Has Erin ever met her father? Really, she made a deal she could sign him off to back the Governor. When did she become so stupid as to make a deal on something she couldn't deliver. 

Jamie and Eddie are in the middle of wedding planning and never discussed kids?

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Artsda said:

Jamie and Eddie are in the middle of wedding planning and never discussed kids?

Especially since the Reagans are firmly Roman Catholic.  Surely kids should have come up sooner than later.  Eddie was so cute with the baby, though.

38 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I can’t stand the governor.  He just seems more like a mob boss to me.  Definitely feels “off”.  YMMV of course.

Totally agree with this!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I can’t stand the governor.  He just seems more like a mob boss to me.  Definitely feels “off”.  YMMV of course.

Totally agree, last time he was on I posted he’s like a cartoon villain. I worked closely with two Illinois governors (both landed in jail, lol) and neither was as maniacal and obvious as this goof. 

Eddie and Jamie never stalked about kids?  WTH?  And what was that in the dog place?  We’re they getting a dog or not?  Are they having kids or not? Or will just cross that bridge when them come it....and that always ends well. I’m looking at Kevin from This is Us right now. 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I had the same exact reaction. Also, I could not believe they made Erin that stupid.

Speaking of stupid, I can't decide if they made Sean stupid for the dinner scene, or that everyone else at the table did a horrible job of explaining it. I'm maybe okay with Sean asking the question, but everyone at the table should have had a better answer and it should not have taken 3 tries to come up with a decent answer.   

1 hour ago, TV Diva Queen said:

And what was that in the dog place?  We’re they getting a dog or not?  Are they having kids or not? Or will just cross that bridge when them come it....and that always ends well. I’m looking at Kevin from This is Us right now. 😂

I think they have not ruled anything out yet. They agreed that whether it's a kid or dog, both of them have to want it. 

I loved the scene with just Sid and Garrett in the office. It was the great the way Garrett could clearly state his position without whining or complaining. I still want a scene of Garrett and Sid trapped in a room or an elevator.

• Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

As a NYS resident I think this is what that other police procedural calls "ripped from the headlines"...

16 hours ago, dirtydi said:

What an awful episode.  It didn't even make much sense.  Who are these characters?  The only ones I am really liking this season are Anthony and Baez (who doesn't do much).

I love Anthony! Partly because Steve S. is great, partly because he's a newer character so I'm not bored with them repeating the same few stories yet, and partly because he's one of the few characters allowed to tell the Reagans they are being assholes. I actually like just about all the secondary characters with the exception of the kids. I think it helps when they have less to do, because this is a tremendously talented cast and the less they have to deliver the crap lines the writers give them and just react and rely on their own talent and charisma the more likeable they are.

3 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I had the same exact reaction. Also, I could not believe they made Erin that stupid.

They've been doing that all season unfortunately. Come on - she's grown up as the daughter and granddaughter of PCs and has been working in the DA's office for a long time now. It's just not believable that she knows nothing about politics.

I loved the scene with just Sid and Garrett in the office. It was the great the way Garrett could clearly state his position without whining or complaining. I still want a scene of Garrett and Sid trapped in a room or an elevator.

That was good and was a long time coming. Of course next week we'll probably go back to Garrett is wrong because he doesn't understand that cops should always prevail over politicians, citizens, journalists and the Constitution. Because he's never worn the uniform you see.

Edited by wknt3
  • Love 5

I don’t get why Frank has such a soft spot for Nicky. I find her obnoxious, and her smart ass tone of voice needs to be checked. She’s been made a fool of several times because of her lack of common sense and generally overly naive “ everyone’s good and even if not, deserves a second chance”  thinking. 

At least Henry isn’t so much of pushover that he doesn’t check her when she sounds particularly idiotic. 

Theres something about  Eddie that’s starting to rub me the wrong way. Once they’re married I see her quickly starting to chafe at the required Sunday attendance at church and dinner. Sometimes I see a look on  Jamie’s face that makes me think he’s having second thoughts. Is Eddie even Catholic? 

Edited by iwasish
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, iwasish said:

Theres something about  Eddie that’s starting to rub me the wrong way. Once they’re married I see her quickly starting to chafe at the required Sunday attendance at church and dinner. Sometimes I see a look on  Jamie’s face that makes me think he’s having second thoughts. Is Eddie even Catholic? 

I think Eddie is the one who should be having second thoughts!  And she *should* chafe at the required attendance at Sunday dinner.  Are Frank's children ~ adults all ~ not allowed ever to make Sunday plans?  Go to a play, go away for the weekend, go to their in-laws (such as they are)?  The dinner is such a sado-masochistic exercise:  mandatory attendance; hazing for the "new kid"; and don't dare to say anything that disagrees with The Bible According To Frank And Henry!  Intellectual discussion and give-and-take goes only so far, and ends in humiliation if you don't toe the line.  Maybe I'm overreacting, but these dinner scenes make me very uncomfortable.

• Love 13

The characters and the absurd storylines are getting old fast. Will I quit watching of course not but my passion is gone for the show.

I guess the worst for me is the Danny character. One time he needs to go off the reservation and see if he really gets slammed by the NYPD and Frank.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, JayDub said:

The characters and the absurd storylines are getting old fast. Will I quit watching of course not but my passion is gone for the show.

I guess the worst for me is the Danny character. One time he needs to go off the reservation and see if he really gets slammed by the NYPD and Frank.

Yes, his arrogant super-cop portrayal is really, really stale. Also, his animosity towards Anthony is totally uncalled for.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, preeya said:

Yes, his arrogant super-cop portrayal is really, really stale. Also, his animosity towards Anthony is totally uncalled for.

It's not only Danny.  Many things on Blue Bloods are really, really stale.   Once upon a time I was addicted to this show and while I've always loved Tom Selleck, I'm not loving Frank this season.    He's become stuffy and self-righteous.   

I did love Sunday dinners but not anymore. 

Erin is way too full of herself.

Jamie and Edie working together while hiding their engagement is stupid.

Nikki is an entitled snotty brat.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, AnnA said:

It's not only Danny.  Many things on Blue Bloods are really, really stale.   Once upon a time I was addicted to this show and while I've always loved Tom Selleck, I'm not loving Frank this season.    He's become stuffy and self-righteous.   

I did love Sunday dinners but not anymore. 

Erin is way too full of herself.

Jamie and Edie working together while hiding their engagement is stupid.

Nikki is an entitled snotty brat.

Yes, all that also.↑

• Love 3
10 hours ago, JayDub said:

Yeah this was the "Rebel Danny" character tipping point for me.  This one was so simple, he blew it and still nothing was his fault:  Wait 10 minutes for someone to go into the room with the victim (nope, can't wait, don't like the other guy, have to do it now), Take 5 minutes to make sure the lineup is done correctly (nope, can't, here's your number deal with it), follow three simple rules that you've followed a thousand times over the course of your career are like secondhand to you and that you know backwards and forwards or the case may be destroyed (nope, gonna do my own thing and make the entire rest of the PD, prosecutors, judge and court bow to my rebel will).  And last, of course, pitch a hissy fit when you do everything against the book and the exact opposite of what you're supposed to do, blame everyone but yourself when it goes bad even though you were warned multiple times it was going to go bad then pout and yell because the world won't bend to your will and do things the way you say it should work.

This is so ingrained in the character now I don't know if a change would be believable even if it would be welcomed.  But seeing him really lose, really get knocked down a few pegs and, most important, acknowledge he screwed up and actually mean it AND have that contrition stick for more than one episode..................that's long overdue.

• Love 10

But seeing him really lose, really get knocked down a few pegs and, most important, acknowledge he screwed up and actually mean it AND have that contrition stick for more than one episode..................that's long overdue.

And teach him some table manners!

I can't believe that he still hasn't learned that you should get within a few feet of the suspect before you call out his name, not call it out when you're 30 feet from him. Why, oh why, does this keep happening? Oh, and his partner's nifty maneuver with the car. All those people on the sidewalks, all those cars in the street, and she gets her car exactly in front of him at the exact moment. Geez, this is tiresome.

At least the prisoner that Don Frank kept in the slammer wasn't a black man. I was really expecting that.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, mojito said:

I can't believe that he still hasn't learned that you should get within a few feet of the suspect before you call out his name, not call it out when you're 30 feet from him. Why, oh why, does this keep happening?

🤣😂🤣😂 Dying here!  Every. Single. Time.  I've never been in LE, but I think I'd have the street sense to be a little more stealthy.   Especially, if I'm wearing a suit & dress shoes, while the perp is in athletic gear & kicks.

In Danny's defense, other TeeVee cops do the same dumbass thing.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

🤣😂🤣😂 Dying here!  Every. Single. Time.  I've never been in LE, but I think I'd have the street sense to be a little more stealthy.   Especially, if I'm wearing a suit & dress shoes, while the perp is in athletic gear & kicks.

In Danny's defense, other TeeVee cops do the same dumbass thing.

Yes they all do it.   And they exit their vehicles way too soon while wearing vests or jackets with giant lettering saying NYPD, LAPD, NCIS, FBI, etc.    

• LOL 1
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:21 PM, TeapotDiva said:

And she *should* chafe at the required attendance at Sunday dinner.

It's not "required."  Nobody is going to get grounded, or disowned, or shunned for not attending. There is simply a family dinner every Sunday. I think it's nice.

• Love 2

It's not "required."  Nobody is going to get grounded, or disowned, or shunned for not attending. There is simply a family dinner every Sunday.

Oh, I beg to differ. If the Police Commissioner has rigged it so that everyone gets Sunday off from work, I'm sure Church and Sunday supper attendance is mandatory.  And if you don't show up, you'd be called into the PC's office on Monday and receive a visit from gramps.  You think those teens/young adults have nothing better to do with their Sundays? 😏

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
29 minutes ago, mojito said:

Oh, I beg to differ. If the Police Commissioner has rigged it so that everyone gets Sunday off from work, I'm sure Church and Sunday supper attendance is mandatory.  And if you don't show up, you'd be called into the PC's office on Monday and receive a visit from gramps.  You think those teens/young adults have nothing better to do with their Sundays? 😏

I do think it's weird that Jamie, especially, never has to work, except for that one time when he picked up an extra shift. but, nope not required.  Frank is all about not treating the fam differently at work, so there's no way he would fire Danny and Jamie for not coming to Sunday dinner.

• Love 1

When Jamie had a disagreement with Frank, they all sat around the dinner table, unable to start eating for 30 minutes waiting for him.  No one knew if he was delayed or just not coming. He did show, saying he was helping Eddie  study for the  Sgt exam. And I’ve heard them say before that dinner is mandatory exception only for police work. 

In an early season Linda made a comment about it would be nice if they trekked out to Staten Island for Sunday dinner once in a while instead of always going to Franks... never happened. 

While no ones going to be “disowned”, the hammer is going to come down. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 4/27/2019 at 5:21 PM, TeapotDiva said:

Are Frank's children ~ adults all ~ not allowed ever to make Sunday plans?  Go to a play, go away for the weekend, go to their in-laws (such as they are)?  The dinner is such a sado-masochistic exercise:  mandatory attendance; hazing for the "new kid"; and don't dare to say anything that disagrees with The Bible According To Frank And Henry!  Intellectual discussion and give-and-take goes only so far, and ends in humiliation if you don't toe the line.  Maybe I'm overreacting, but these dinner scenes make me very uncomfortable.

Exactly. Nobody ever feels sick and wants/needs to stay home?

Not only that, it's implausible that Linda, a nurse, and Danny and Jamie, could consistently get Sunday afternoon/evening off. And if Danny and Jamie are able to do because their father is the PC, that is grossly unfair to the thousands of other cops who surely would like to spend Sunday with their families too.

Does anyone else think that this family spends WAY too much time together? Dinner every Sunday,  Frank and Erin have lunch once a week, plus a skillion other events? I'm glad they don't all hate each other like so many other TV clans, but YEESH.

Edited by Camille
  • Love 2

It also seems that the dinner is strictly family.   There’s never an “outsider”. Jamie only brought two women thru the whole show and he was engaged to them. The idea of dinners together is great, but the topic of conversation is so limiting. I’ve only ever heard Linda speak out about wanting to have a meal without talk about police work.  And it got her nowhere. 

I’d love to see Erin get back with Jack and watch the family have to make nice to him every week. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, iwasish said:

It also seems that the dinner is strictly family.   There’s never an “outsider”. Jamie only brought two women thru the whole show and he was engaged to them.

It just occurred to me that in 9 seasons, absolutely none of the single Reagans has dated anyone seriously enough to bring them to dinner.

35 minutes ago, iwasish said:

I’d love to see Erin get back with Jack and watch the family have to make nice to him every week

I'll bet the reason the marriage started to fall apart is because Jack began to chafe at always having to go.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Camille said:

It just occurred to me that in 9 seasons, absolutely none of the single Reagans has dated anyone seriously enough to bring them to dinner.

I'll bet the reason the marriage started to fall apart is because Jack began to chafe at always having to go.

And get the evil eye from Frank, Henry and Danny.... he must have looked forward to it all week!

(edited)

It’s not up to the Reagans’ whether the prisoner goes free or not.  They carefully explained to Sean about the rule of law. The rule of law is that the parole board gets to decide who gets parole. Interested parties get to speak at the hearing.  Police officers don’t get to pick and choose which laws to respect any more than civilians do.    40 years in prison isn’t a cakewalk.  2nd, the prisoner has lung cancer. Prisons these days are releasing sick elderly prisoners so that they don’t have to be the entity taking care of them. Not saying it is appropriate, just that it happens in real life. 3rd- the police officer son took an oath just like his father did. He honors that by threatening to take someone’s life? 

4th- Frank doesn’t get to do an end run around the parole board with the governor. That’s screwing with a guys life to make political deals.  Again, messing with the supposed respect for the rule of law. 

Jamie and Eddie went from being partners to engaged in 5 minutes. No dating. No discussion of their differing religions, future plans, etc.  they should be taking pre-marital counseling at this point. 

Erin was much more savvy in the early seasons. Each season she gets more naive than the last. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2