Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E05: High Fashion to High Street

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Lemons said:

I just looked Nina up because I don't know much about her.  She's in her mid-50's, officially old by Project Runway standards.  And she just might be an elitist snob.  She grew up in a wealthy Colombian family and went to boarding high school in Massachusetts before going to BU.  After that she went to FIT and started in fashion.  You would think at her age she would be a little more tolerant towards the fact that not everyone is 25 years old with a six figure wardrobe budget.  

I have never been a fan of Nina's, but she lost me completely way back in Gretchen's season when she told Valerie, very derisively, that her design looked like something you could find in a Guatemalan market.  It was very clear she meant it negatively.  Valerie then said she was from Guatemala.  Nina just shrugged, like she had no cares she'd just insulted Valerie and her country, essentially.

As far as I'm concerned, calling Nina an elitist snob when it comes to fashion is putting it mildly.  The scope of her interest and what she values in fashion seems very limited.  But, honestly, she's far from alone in that in the fashion industry.  I'd be happy if they could just get away from their worship of all things young to the exclusion of all else.

Edited by Fellaway
  • Love 12
On 4/14/2019 at 12:34 AM, morakot said:

I know the Met in NYC has a huge vault - do they do the same thing? They do regular exhibitions but I don't know enough of their relationship with new designers - particularly after they've graduated from design school.

I don't know if the Met opens their collections to students and designers or not but do know that  a few years ago they merged their collection with the also impressive Brooklyn Museum's costume collection in a nod to cost cutting and efficiency. The majority (if not all) being housed at the Met, freeing the Brooklyn for space and--I hope--helping their mutual budgets.

The results are a collection which is not just enormous but quite extensive. BTW, the Met the main costume gallery space is now the Anna Wintour Gallery.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Fellaway said:

I'd be happy if they could just get away from their worship of all things young to the exclusion of all else.

They all seem to quake in their Loubatins at the thought of anything "Junior."

• Love 1

An old woman making pronouncements on what is youthful, street and modern is laughable. THen again these people will deride something one day then sing its praises when it shows up a few seasons later. They have no shame and the memory of a gnat.

I see Rene Was inspired by Eddie Veder circa 1991.

Thanks God Kovind is gone.

It seems to me knowing Dapper Dan reflects on the breadth of one's knowledge of fashion not whether or not "you know fashion". 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I thought the judges got the winner and loser right this time (though I would have been upset with Kovid leaving--he was not the worst this week--if he had not been in the bottom so much already).

I do think Nina has a snobby outlook on things based on years of watching the show. However, I don't have an issue with the suburban remark. If you are trying to win a streetwear challenge, looking suburban is not good. It just isn't.

• Love 9

I think Nina's 'suburban' comment is a reflection on the fact that for a lot of people the suburbs are where conformity and blandness reign supreme.  One of the first things that creative people who grow up in the suburbs do is get the hell out.  It's not about money or class, it's about STYLE.  Anyone who actually listened to what Dapper Dan had to say, heard that he translated symbols of opulence like furs and jewels and brought it to the 'street', making it available to people who had more style than money.

I think Jamal lost his way because he lost faith in himself.  Maybe he was intimidated by Dapper Dan who is such a symbol of 'Black style' but he shouldn't have been because DD was lovely; supportive and accessible.  Jamal doesn't need to reach back to Elizabethan times (and he's going to have reach further back than the 18th century for that).  And he doesn't have to worry about whether he's Black enough.  All he has to do is ask a New York cop and they'll tell him he's definitely Black enough.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

As a 56 year old, I take issue with anyone describing Nina as an "old woman."

THANK YOU!

She's a monster because she called an outfit that was straight from the mall, 'suburban', but it's okay to call her an 'old woman'?

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 8
14 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

I agree with you, but I think the point (to me at least) is that Nina appears to regard clothing for anyone over the age of 25 to look like it's for an old woman, even though she is considerably older than that herself.

• Love 8
21 hours ago, staphdude said:

An old woman making pronouncements on what is youthful, street and modern is laughable.

14 hours ago, auntlada said:

Nina appears to regard clothing for anyone over the age of 25 to look like it's for an old woman, even though she is considerably older than that herself.

I am older than Nina, and if you call me an old woman, I will smack you upside the head.  Now get off my lawn.

That term needs to go the fuck away, especially in fashion.  

I've suggested this before, but PR should consider a season where all the models are 40+.  Maybe they can change their tired old mantra of "young, hip and modern," to "age-appropriate, fabulous, and flattering."

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 15
On 4/12/2019 at 5:53 PM, auntlada said:

I guess I don't know fashion. I read the blurb for the episode and thought, "Wasn't Dapper Dan one of those dolls with all the zippers and snaps and buttons and laces so kids could learn to button and tie their own stuff?"

On 4/12/2019 at 5:59 PM, chitowngirl said:

Ha! I was just searching for images for this very thing!

8D1EFF11-F435-420E-AEC3-9F2E19409BF4.jpeg

On 4/12/2019 at 8:03 PM, jcbrown said:

Dressy Bessy was the girl one. I was about to do the same image search.

On 4/12/2019 at 8:28 PM, heavysnaxx said:

I had one of those!

Yes, Dressy Bessy and Dapper Dan, love it! Had them both. It was my intention to post the same picture if folks hadn't beaten me to it. That is the only Dapper Dan I've ever heard of, lol. 

image.png.b93ed5cf3f23887b919c1ae3c01b7a2d.png

• Love 5
On 4/13/2019 at 4:11 PM, izabella said:

Apparently, there is Elizabethan streetwear, according to Louis Vuitton and Lily Aldridge.  If Jamal had made pants, blouse and jacket with neck and wrist riffles and puffy sleeves, or even just pants and a blouse and vest, his inspiration would have been fine, and likely the fabric, too.  But he couldn't even finish the dress because Elizabethan is a lot of work, too much for a one day challenge.

image.png.777929b395de8df5fe43c2e4bb5295b0.png

https://nowfashion.com/elizabethan-meets-the-eighties-at-louis-vuitton-25992

image.png.1f9d50b5232d93ae0df7c0835300501f.png

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/647462883903672840/

On 4/13/2019 at 5:11 PM, Ashforth said:

WOW, that is some seriously ugly stuff. 

I think it's kind of awesome. Of course, IRL I would break up the pieces and not wear it all at once, but there's some very cool stuff there.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Ashforth said:

15 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

THANK YOU!

She's a monster because she called an outfit that was straight from the mall, 'suburban', but it's okay to call her an 'old woman'?

Is she a young woman? I do think she is old especially in the context of this show and her comments.

15 hours ago, auntlada said:

I agree with you, but I think the point (to me at least) is that Nina appears to regard clothing for anyone over the age of 25 to look like it's for an old woman, even though she is considerably older than that herself.

Exactly.

51 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I am older than Nina, and if you call me an old woman, I will smack you upside the head.  Now get off my lawn.

That term needs to go the fuck away, especially in fashion.  

I've suggested this before, but PR should consider a season where all the models are 40+.  Maybe they can change their tired old mantra of "young, hip and modern," to "age-appropriate, fabulous, and flattering."

Temper, temper. 

To your second point- I agree that would be a better approach but that would be a tectonic shift in attitude that is just about as likely as hell freezing over.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, staphdude said:

To your second point- I agree that would be a better approach but that would be a tectonic shift in attitude that is just about as likely as hell freezing over.

What are the chances we could get them to stop using the word "suburban" as a pejorative when it comes to fashion, too, because I feel as strongly against that as I do "old lady."  Nothing like being pigeonholed based on stereotypes!

But, what do I know?  I'm not even suburban.  I'm rural.  I guess I know what the judges would think of that.

Edited by Fellaway
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Fellaway said:

What are the chances we could get them to stop using the word "suburban" as a perjorative when it comes to fashion, too, because I feel as strongly against that as I do "old lady."  Nothing like being pigeonholed based on stereotypes!

But, what do I know?  I'm not even suburban.  I'm rural.  I guess I know what the judges would think of that.

Did you not see the look on Christian's face when the designer from Syria (can't remember his name, sorry) was talking about the farm women? That's what they'd think. You wear overalls, boots and a cowboy hat at all times, right? And walk around with a sprig of hay in your mouth. (Never mind that I haven't seen a farmer wearing overalls since my grandfather.)

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Fellaway said:

What are the chances we could get them to stop using the word "suburban" as a perjorative when it comes to fashion, too, because I feel as strongly against that as I do "old lady."  Nothing like being pigeonholed based on stereotypes!

The fact of the matter is they are designing for a very narrow demographic.  As a 50+, suburban man there is very little in the way of expectation of fashion. I can pretty much dress any way I want and no one bats an eye. 

I just assume they are imagining dressing someone 19-26 yrs old whose body type is undoubtedly model thin.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 4/12/2019 at 12:02 AM, mightysparrow said:

Dapper Dan is one of the most influential designers alive.  He combined designer and hip-hop fashion and is STILL being copied. 

If you don't know Dapper Dan, you don't know fashion.

I didn’t know him either,  & the argument could probably be made that I don’t know fashion. But seeing how excited the designers that knew him were, I realized what a big deal he was immediately. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, staphdude said:

In the early and even the middle days of PR, suggesting they use plus-sized models would have been considered also as likely as icicles in Hades.  Never say never.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, staphdude said:
On 4/15/2019 at 7:21 PM, Ashforth said:

Is she a young woman? I do think she is old especially in the context of this show and her comments.

In the context of this show, I think Nina Garcia is an experienced professional in the fashion industry who judges the contestants' garments based on her knowledge of the industry and her opinions. Her comments may offend some, fair enough, but to respond by calling her an old woman with what seems to be a pejorative intent is offensive to me. Her opinions are not invalid because she is over 50. 

How young do you think the judges should be? What's the cutoff? 15? 20? 25? God forbid, 30?

Don't forget that a number of the winning or top looks this season have not been "young." Renee's designs come to mind. In a typical PR season, designers are called out for their looks being too junior as well as too matronly.

Heidi Klum is 45

Isaac Mizrahi is 57

Tim Gunn is 65

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Ashforth said:

In the context of this show, I think Nina Garcia is an experienced professional in the fashion industry who judges the contestants' garments based on her knowledge of the industry and her opinions. Her comments may offend some, fair enough, but to respond by calling her an old woman with what seems to be a pejorative intent is offensive to me. Her opinions are not invalid because she is over 50. 

How young do you think the judges should be? What's the cutoff? 15? 20? 25? God forbid, 30?

Don't forget that a number of the winning or top looks this season have not been "young." Renee's designs come to mind. In a typical PR season, designers are called out for their looks being too junior as well as too matronly.

Heidi Klum is 45

Isaac Mizrahi is 57

Tim Gunn is 65

It is the derision and hypocrisy in some of her statements that I find annoying. Moreover I don't think she has a grasp on youth or street culture any more than most older people who are no longer in that demographic.

All the people you listed in your response are old. What of it?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, staphdude said:

It is the derision and hypocrisy in some of her statements that I find annoying. Moreover I don't think she has a grasp on youth or street culture any more than most older people who are no longer in that demographic.

All the people you listed in your response are old. What of it?

I have no issue with your disagreement with Nina's opinions or the way she expresses them. I do have an issue with your apparent dismissal of her opinions because you seem to say that they are irrelevant because you perceive her as "old." I listed the ages of Heidi, Isaac and Tim because they are also "old." Are they equally excluded from having relevant opinions on fashion because of their ages?

Is Dapper Dan, a pioneer of "youth or street culture," excluded from having a relevant opinion on a challenge based on his fashion influence because he is in his 70's?

I'm trying to get you to understand that basing your disagreement with a critique of the contestants by a judge on this show because of his or her age, in my opinion, undermines whatever valid point you may have.

And with this, I will let this go. Someday, you too will get older. I hope someone like you doesn't dismiss or discriminate against you because of that.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 8
13 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

I have no issue with your disagreement with Nina's opinions or the way she expresses them. I do have an issue with your apparent dismissal of her opinions because you seem to say that they are irrelevant because you perceive her as "old." I listed the ages of Heidi, Isaac and Tim because they are also "old." Are they equally excluded from having relevant opinions on fashion because of their ages?

Is Dapper Dan, a pioneer of "youth or street culture," excluded from having a relevant opinion on a challenge based on his fashion influence because he is in his 70's?

I'm trying to get you to understand that basing your disagreement with a person's critiques of the contestants as a judge on this show because of his or her age, in my opinion, undermines whatever valid point you may have.

And with this, I will let this go. Someday, you too will get older. I hope someone like you doesn't dismiss or discriminate against you because of that.

Someday...I am as old or older than those you list. I never said they couldn't judge fashion.

Thanks but I am not looking for your validation of my opinion.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, auntlada said:

Did you not see the look on Christian's face when the designer from Syria (can't remember his name, sorry) was talking about the farm women? That's what they'd think. You wear overalls, boots and a cowboy hat at all times, right? And walk around with a sprig of hay in your mouth. (Never mind that I haven't seen a farmer wearing overalls since my grandfather.)

Hee!  That is exactly what they would think.  But, hey!  I occasionally spit out the hayseeds.  Don't I get any fashion cred for that?  ☺️

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I agree and would add that Nina's POV is that of a magazine editor whose main job--for better or worse-- is to sell her product in a difficult market where sales of hard copies are declining. Yes, online versions exist, certainly, but I suspect that they don't generate the same $...please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Agree with her or not, and I often don't, she's a seasoned, respected professional who has been doing her job for decades. If she wasn't making money for her employers, she's be retired and semi-relaxing somewhere. Fashion is, after all a business existing to generate $.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Hee!  That is exactly what they would think.  But, hey!  I occasionally spit out the hayseeds.  Don't I get any fashion cred for that?  ☺️

And wasn’t it just recently that the “little farm on the prairie” look was all the rage? I know fashion wouldn’t exist without shifting styles and trends but this 1984 level of cognitive dissonance is ridiculous.

On 4/12/2019 at 12:34 PM, meep.meep said:

Interesting that Mimi, the shivering model from last week, was complaining about being cold when Garo was taking the pictures.  Maybe she is just always cold.

I noticed this too, I wonder if something is going to come of it? 

I'm in my late 40s but I'm not offended by it when they use “old” as a negative.  They don’t mean age, per se.  If you are chronologically old but you are fashionable (like an Iris Apfel or Dapper Dan), you’d be A-OK in their books.  Meanwhile, if you’re young but you wear frumpy clothes (or bland suburban clothes with no originality) you’d be not not OK in fashion terms. And you may or may not care about either judgment which is fine too (with me anyway!). But my point is that it’s not actually about age. It's about keeping up with trends/fresh looks/having original style.  Not everyone cares about that, but that's what the show is judging on, that's what the show is about. They could be more clear by replacing references to "old" or "matronly" with "dated" or "not stylish"  but I know what they mean and it doesn't really matter to me.

(For the record, I am not stylish, at least not in the terms of this show. High fashion is a different world and I'm not not trying to fit into it - I still enjoy watching a show about it and don't expect it to relate to my life.)

• Love 10
20 hours ago, Ashforth said:

Heidi Klum is 45

Isaac Mizrahi is 57

Tim Gunn is 65

BRILLIANT!

18 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I'm trying to get you to understand that basing your disagreement with a critique of the contestants by a judge on this show because of his or her age, in my opinion, undermines whatever valid point you may have.

AND AGAIN!!!

11 hours ago, Beden said:

I agree and would add that Nina's POV is that of a magazine editor whose main job--for better or worse-- is to sell her product in a difficult market where sales of hard copies are declining. Yes, online versions exist, certainly, but I suspect that they don't generate the same $...please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Agree with her or not, and I often don't, she's a seasoned, respected professional who has been doing her job for decades. If she wasn't making money for her employers, she's be retired and semi-relaxing somewhere. Fashion is, after all a business existing to generate $.

Very well said.

21 hours ago, iggysaurus said:

I'm in my late 40s but I'm not offended by it when they use “old” as a negative.  They don’t mean age, per se.  If you are chronologically old but you are fashionable (like an Iris Apfel or Dapper Dan), you’d be A-OK in their books.  Meanwhile, if you’re young but you wear frumpy clothes (or bland suburban clothes with no originality) you’d be not not OK in fashion terms. And you may or may not care about either judgment which is fine too (with me anyway!). But my point is that it’s not actually about age. It's about keeping up with trends/fresh looks/having original style.  Not everyone cares about that, but that's what the show is judging on, that's what the show is about. They could be more clear by replacing references to "old" or "matronly" with "dated" or "not stylish"  but I know what they mean and it doesn't really matter to me.

(For the record, I am not stylish, at least not in the terms of this show. High fashion is a different world and I'm not not trying to fit into it - I still enjoy watching a show about it and don't expect it to relate to my life.)

very well said and your post fits me to a T. I'm not fashionable and I don't care. I also expect the show to be about high fashion/trendy clothes and not a show about "who can make the best outfit that looks like something I want to hang out in my house in".

• Love 4

I thought Dapper Dan was a cartoon character.

Why the hell were so many models wearing ugly white orthopedic support sneakers???  Those were the ugliest sneakers I have ever seen in my life.  I'm an old fart and I wear cooler sneakers than that.  

• Love 4

mighty sparrow, I speak only for myself when I say this: You misread me,  if you include me in your implied criticisms.

I wasn't mocking Dapper Dan; I was taking issue with specifically your "then you don't know fashion" declaration.

And maybe I don't, but that's because, while I love to watch any kind of artistic design show, and while I have a modicum of knowledge about design eras and formerly famous fashion houses (and was very into the "Mod"/Mary Quant London "street fashion" back in the day), now I'm simply beyond such caring. And I've never cared for "logo fashion," whether it be Lacoste and Nike, or Bacardi and Cartier. 

As for learning from reading the autobiography of an African-American man, you're correct; it is beneficial. And this White old lady (nod to staphdude) was reading "Yes, I Can," "Soul on Ice," and "The Autobiography of Malcolm X" probably before many here were born.

I don't read much anymore, though. At least, not books. No patience. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 3

There is a considerable group of humans between the ages of 21 and dead.  For some of us in that group, the name Dapper Dan goes back well before a man named Daniel Day started calling himself that and borrowing logos from famous design houses and creating so-called street wear.  He clearly developed a following, but I had never heard of him prior to this episode.  Doesn't make me decrepit, just means that this genre of fashion isn't on my radar.  Here are a couple of examples of the term Dapper Dan being used, well before Mr. Day co-opted it.

disneys-iconic-barbershop-quartet-the-dapper-dans

• Love 4
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

There is a considerable group of humans between the ages of 21 and dead.  For some of us in that group, the name Dapper Dan goes back well before a man named Daniel Day started calling himself that and borrowing logos from famous design houses and creating so-called street wear.  He clearly developed a following, but I had never heard of him prior to this episode.  Doesn't make me decrepit, just means that this genre of fashion isn't on my radar.  Here are a couple of examples of the term Dapper Dan being used, well before Mr. Day co-opted it.

disneys-iconic-barbershop-quartet-the-dapper-dans

But... but... but... you mean, things existed before now?!!!?  But I thought millennials invented everything?!  That's crazy talk.  Clearly you're just inventing things now.  😉

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 4/18/2019 at 11:05 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

mighty sparrow, I speak only for myself when I say this: You misread me,  if you include me in your implied criticisms.

I wasn't mocking Dapper Dan; I was taking issue with specifically your "then you don't know fashion" declaration.

And maybe I don't, but that's because, while I love to watch any kind of artistic design show, and while I have a modicum of knowledge about design eras and formerly famous fashion houses (and was very into the "Mod"/Mary Quant London "street fashion" back in the day), now I'm simply beyond such caring. And I've never cared for "logo fashion," whether it be Lacoste and Nike, or Bacardi and Cartier. 

As for learning from reading the autobiography of an African-American man, you're correct; it is beneficial. And this White old lady (nod to staphdude) was reading "Yes, I Can," "Soul on Ice," and "The Autobiography of Malcolm X" probably before many here were born.

I don't read much anymore, though. At least, not books. No patience. 

My 'criticism' wasn't directed at anybody.  It was my opinion. I think it's interesting that expressing my opinion in defense of an African-American fashion ICON seems to have created such a fuss.  I can't help but wonder why so many people seemed to think it was necessary to diminish Dapper Dan (my opinion) by bringing up a children's toy, as if Dapper Dan was a figure of fun.  I've seen hosannas expressed for people who are less important (my opinion).  You don't have to be Black to know who Dapper Dan is.  Fashion houses like Gucci and Louis Vuitton take Dapper Dan VERY seriously and have made a lot of money copying his styles.  White fashionistas have been taking their inspiration from African-American style for DECADES.

If you didn't know who Dapper Dan was before this episode, now you do.  And if you're not interested in street fashion or fashion of any kind, then he means nothing to you.  But I stand by my OPINION that knowing about a man who has influenced fashion around the world would be important for those who are interested in fashion. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Token said:

Dapper Dan clearly isn't an icon, since many people appear to have never heard of him.

The people who need to know about Dapper Dan know about him.  I don't think he's losing sleep over the rest.  Besides, many of THEM will be wearing his designs ten years after he did them. 

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 1
On 4/13/2019 at 6:24 AM, Ellaria Sand said:

Agree. I dislike her dismissive attitudes towards the other designers. Her early win and positive feedback have made her a legend in her own mind. And yet she doesn't seem to be a pariah in the workroom. Maybe they see something that we do not.

More likely, we're seeing something the contestants are not- those TH moments!  

• Love 1
On 4/17/2019 at 10:06 AM, staphdude said:

And wasn’t it just recently that the “little farm on the prairie” look was all the rage? I know fashion wouldn’t exist without shifting styles and trends but this 1984 level of cognitive dissonance is ridiculous.

Right on the button with that. I have some truly unfortunate photos of myself from the early '80s with the super-popular Laura Ashley-esque "LFotP" dresses and crimped hair. Or had. Burned 'em.

Also, re: the age issue ... I'm definitely not even close to a fashionista (I gave up on that a long time ago, having an impossible figure to dress well and, more recently, no budget or reason to) ... but I've been caught in this wringer the last few months as I needed to find a "Mother of the Bride" dress that didn't look like the "Mother of the Bride" dresses I tended to find when I searched online or in stores ... straddling the border of not looking, for lack of a better word, "frumpy" but also not trying to look like I didn't know I was pushing 60 and that I was, indeed, the mother of the bride.

I finally found one, hallelujah, that somehow fell right into the sweet spot ... fits great, really flattering, dressy enough for a Saturday night wedding but not so dressy it will look out of place at a wedding where the bride is wearing a jumpsuit LOL ... it was nothing like I was looking for but exactly what I wanted without knowing it. Now if every PR designer could hit that mark I'd actually go out and look for their items on sale at wherever the winning designer has their wares! 

Also, PS ... while I would never have chosen Sunshine Unicorn's design as the winner this week, she wasn't quite as obnoxious as usual. I'm still on the Bishme train. And despite it being admittedly costumey (glad he had immunity), I actually thought his design was the most beautiful of the bunch.

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
To add a few more random thoughts into one post
  • Love 2

I wonder how closely they check out the contestant's background.  Are we certain these back stories are true?  There are  a couple that I just am very doubtful about.  I'm really suspicious of accents and phony ones really stand out.  Has anyone noticed that with any of these contestants? 

• Love 1