Type keyword(s) to search

South Park - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Here's the page for the current season. The next episode's title: "Sons A Witches." Halloween ep! And when was the last time we saw the Goth kids? Also, it looks like there will be two off-weeks: November 1 and November 22.

ETA: I typed in "Sons A Witches" and I got this page. "At the annual Halloween get together, a witch casts a spell that terrorizes everyone in South Park." My guess? It's more like a Wiccan, and everybody freaks the fuck out for little reason.

Do NOT get between Cartman and the Pumpkin Patch. His face the day after was scary. It was good to see this show get this weird, fun, and dark again. I was wondering what the witches were supposed to be satirizing...but then Trump, er, Garrison showed up and it became obvious: Harvey Weinstein and all the other sexual predators. Garrison just taking out Chip with a POTUS satellite laser was great.

Cartman dressing himself & Heidi up as Hansel and Gretel to attract the witch was so perfect, as was her taking forever to get out of the bag. That entire plot really hit close to home.

• Love 5

I have always loved when Stan squints his eyes and pinches the bridge of his nose. But the side eye he gave, during the assembly?  So on target!

I was Team Heidi.  But I don't have that much time or patience.

• Love 4

What a crazy Halloween episode.

I KNEW they couldn't resist using Garrison this season. And for a "witch hunt" episode. I see your allegory, Trey and Matt. Either Russia or Weinstein, take your pick.

Ugh, Gerald. But at least he wasn't a big part of the episode. And I'd like to think Kyle yelling at him in the gym shows he now regards him with the same blistering contempt as Cartman.

I can't entirely blame Cartman for getting so pissed off at Heidi taking so long to get ready for every little thing. But Kyle is right: just let her go already. She deserves better.

Those Hansel and Gretel costumes were so ridiculously stupid.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3
Just now, Spartan Girl said:

I can't entirely blame Cartman for getting so pissed off at Heidi taking so long to get ready for every little thing. But Kyle is right: just let her go already. She deserves better.

I was expecting Heidi to die for good tonight. If she doesn't just leave Cartman, I can see this happening.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Either Russia or Weinstein, take your pick.

I don't see how this works as a Russia allegory.  The ending, especially, where the guys all just go back to doing what they did before, doesn't really make sense as anything other than a Weinstein parallel.

• Love 3

I remember last year, when a lot of fans -- @Spartan Girl in particular -- waiting for Gerald to get an epic comeuppance. I think we're gonna get similarly blue-balled with Cartman this season. I mean, we've seen him get his on several occasions, but I can't see a finale where Heidi unloads on him. There's not going to be a moment of "BUT I HAVE HAND!!!"/"And you're gonna need it!" While Heidi's boyfriend basically left her to die (I was half- expecting ChipWitch to bypass her for the meatier kid), she's still with him.

I wasn't thinking of any overt overtones (redundant?) with this people, save for Garrison flying in for the rescue. This episode ranks with the other Halloween episodes as classics. I don't drink or do drugs, but "Jack 'n' Crack" sounds so alluring. Why would you want to be with your wife when you can fuck yourself up with other warlocks witches?

• Love 3

Man, this episode was a lot of fun.  I love that they did an old fashioned (for the show) holiday episode, like they used to do.  The return of Garrison was great "Destroy all witches?  Oh geez..."

Some good old-fashioned Cartmen plotting that blew up in his face.

I noticed that the old principal was back this season.  What happened to PC Principal?

The Harvey Weinstein allegory was surprisingly subtle for this show.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, benteen said:

I noticed that the old principal was back this season.  What happened to PC Principal?

Are you sure you're not thinking of Mayor McDaniels? She's the one who introduced the witches at the school. Principal Victoria with the big blonde hair doesn't seem to be around anymore.

16 minutes ago, Amarsir said:

Are you sure you're not thinking of Mayor McDaniels? She's the one who introduced the witches at the school. Principal Victoria with the big blonde hair doesn't seem to be around anymore.

Oh yes, you're right.  I can't believe I made that mistake.  Thank you for reminding me.

13 hours ago, SeanC said:

I don't see how this works as a Russia allegory.  The ending, especially, where the guys all just go back to doing what they did before, doesn't really make sense as anything other than a Weinstein parallel.

Yeah, now that I think about it, you're probably right.  It's just with all the stuff in the media this week about both political parties trying to pin the "real" Russia scandal on each other has affected my mindset.

It took me later than I should have to realize that the title explains why it's all men involved (other than the obvious parallel to the scandal.)

I'd be willing to bet (but not to pay up) that they briefly considered bringing back Sexual Harassment Panda, but this worked better.

I'm surprised Eric didn't try the "lie about when it begins" trick (which doesn't always work, but it's exactly the sort of thing he'd do.)  Maybe they're saving "let her go" for a Frozen spoof later.

Still, a really fun episode, in part because the whole issue of stereotyping vs. one worse person out of a bad group is a recurring problem.

• Love 2

Can y'all help me out. I must've missed something along the way but if Cartman is so wretchedly miserable with Heidi, why is he staying with her?

H & C in Hansel and Gretel costume reminded me so much of this Bugs Bunny ep. Cartman even had the gold brillo hair going on.

witch bewitched.jpg

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

Can y'all help me out. I must've missed something along the way but if Cartman is so wretchedly miserable with Heidi, why is he staying with her?

There's been discussion in earlier episode threads with no clear answer. I'm not sure if they are just writing their interaction to whatever fits the show's overall plot each week, or if they are making a point. Things we've seen Cartman show irritation at are that she never stops talking, always wants to discuss their feelings, won't just go along with whatever he wants, interrupts him when he's in the middle of things with his friends, and now, that she takes forever to get ready. Really, for a character as ridiculously selfish as Cartman, it should be no surprise that he isn't going to put up with someone who isn't completely subservient to him.  Remembering back to school days, several guys had some of those reactions to dating girls. They wanted a girlfriend, or thought they did, but weren't ready to find time for someone else.

It could even be that they are writing in things that are bugging them about women in their own lives. If so, I'd say to those women, run. Although, after this episode, I'd be ready to break up with Heidi myself. :)

• Love 3
8 hours ago, niklj said:

Watching this episode it occurred to me....is Heidi the new Butters?

Snap judgement: no. Butters' naïveté is at an ungodly level, and "hapless" is his default setting. Also, Heidi's parents probably aren't utter shitheads. Steven Stotch was in the coven? No way, you guys . . .

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Snap judgement: no. Butters' naïveté is at an ungodly level, and "hapless" is his default setting. Also, Heidi's parents probably aren't utter shitheads. Steven Stotch was in the coven? No way, you guys . . .

I meant in the way they are constantly being messed with by Cartman yet they still end up liking him.

I really didn’t care for the police officer’s comment that the Cartman and Heidi dressed as Hansel and Gretel invited the witch attack.  Sure, Cartman said that he would have the guy’s badge for the comment, but in the Weinstein allegory, that’s actually Parker and Stone kind of blaming the victim, isn’t it?  (I mean, Cartman did dress them to invite the attack, but it’s not like any victim’s actions could have avoided the “witch” attack.)

I assume that Garrison being the one to save the day was symbolic of the fact that all the other witches wanted to carry on with their debauchery “under the radar” (literally), and it was only when it got too high profile that they were moved to take action.  Still not sure why it had to be Garrison to do that, though, since Trump hasn’t had really any intersection with the Weinstein story that I’ve read.

I for sure am Heidi when getting ready to go anywhere.

Edited by Peace 47
18 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

I really didn’t care for the police officer’s comment that the Cartman and Heidi dressed as Hansel and Gretel invited the witch attack.  Sure, Cartman said that he would have the guy’s badge for the comment, but in the Weinstein allegory, that’s actually Parker and Stone kind of blaming the victim, isn’t it?  (I mean, Cartman did dress them to invite the attack, but it’s not like any victim’s actions could have avoided the “witch” attack.)

Not only did Cartman say he'd have the guy's badge for that, the detective interrupts and says, "Whoa. Whoa. Not cool, Rick. Not cool! ... Sorry folks, sorry." The funny was Cartman being Cartman by trying to get her snatched that way. During the police station scene, if anything, one could argue Parker and Stone were emphasizing that victim blaming is not cool.

18 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

I assume that Garrison being the one to save the day was symbolic of the fact that all the other witches wanted to carry on with their debauchery “under the radar” (literally), and it was only when it got too high profile that they were moved to take action.  Still not sure why it had to be Garrison to do that, though, since Trump hasn’t had really any intersection with the Weinstein story that I’ve read.

Did you manage to miss the numerous sexual assault accusations made against then-candidate Trump prior to the election last year, and that they have been in the news again the past few weeks?

• Love 1

Of course I’m aware of the sexual assault allegations against Trump.  I just meant, in my original post that was perhaps poorly written, that it’s not like Trump had spoken up against Weinstein at all or inserted himself into the story (and it’s not like hypocrisy has ever stopped Trump before).

I think all Trump has said was “I’m not surprised” by the allegations against Weinstein, but he has otherwise stayed out of it (versus saying supportive statements about Roger Ailes and Bill O’Reilly).  And so that was why it was odd to me to have Garrison be the inadvertent hero of the story (even if he was solely motivated to restore the status quo), because real-life Trump wouldn’t have even inserted himself into the story that much.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Peace 47 said:

Of course I’m aware of the sexual assault allegations against Trump.  I just meant, in my original post that was perhaps poorly written, that it’s not like Trump had spoken up against Weinstein at all or inserted himself into the story (and it’s not like hypocrisy has ever stopped Trump before).

I think all Trump has said was “I’m not surprised” by the allegations against Weinstein, but he has otherwise stayed out of it (versus saying supportive statements about Roger Ailes and Bill O’Reilly).  And so that was why it was odd to me to have Garrison be the inadvertent hero of the story (even if he was solely motivated to restore the status quo), because real-life Trump wouldn’t have even inserted himself into the story that much.

It seemed like the implication was that while Garrison was now President and apparently hadn't been able to be an active "witch" lately, that he was still a witch. What that means in the larger context of the episode, one can conclude for themselves. Regardless, it was a funny quick end to the episode, well, until Heidi...

• Love 1

I wouldn't make too much of the Garrison insertion. It wrapped up the story neatly, and that's something we often don't get enough of.  He wasn't the hero, just the one hypocrite with the ability to reinstate the status quo.

Episode description for "Doubling Down":

Kyle is playing with fire when he gets in the middle of Cartman and Heidi’s relationship.

Best guess? Kyle makes a play for Heidi, which means Cartman has to stake his claim even though he is so over her. And Heidi will stand by her boyfriend, even though he willfully set her up to be kidnapped by a man-witch.

10 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Episode description for "Doubling Down":

Best guess? Kyle makes a play for Heidi, which means Cartman has to stake his claim even though he is so over her. And Heidi will stand by her boyfriend, even though he willfully set her up to be kidnapped by a man-witch.

I'd guess Kyle tries to talk to Heidi and/or Cartman about Cartman's treatment of Heidi.  I haven't seen any romantic interest toward Heidi on Kyle's part.

I don't know what to think of this one. It was good, but, man...

Heidi is finally catching on. But she still forgives Cartman calling her a whore and pushing her in front of a car? I think that as much as Cartman loves to be an abuser, Heidi can't help but take it, and neither of them want to admit that they're in a terrible relationship. Yeah, totally a thinly veiled comparison to America & Trump.

"It's pronounced NIGER, Mr. President." I doubt the real GOP has the balls to put their foot down, same with President Douche having enough self-awareness of what he got himself into. No shock that Pence was the snitch (and as cliche as it is, love how their Mitch McConnell admitted he was just a turtle).

Cartman's gotta be desperate that he's going to Token for solace and ohhhhh yeah, that's why.

Beyond KFC was so great, as was the homage to Pink Elephants on Parade.

• Love 5

Great analogy between an abusive relationship and Trump supporters. The more you diss a person for their choices, the more they double down. And it's still hard to pity them for it.

A member berries sighting!

LOL at the Disney/dancing Jews sequence.

Too bad Cartman hasn't figured out Gerald was Skankhunt42 and that Kyle helped cover for him. That would have been a sure fire way to destroy Kyle...that was the whole reason Cartman and Heidi wound up together in the first place. I would have loved for the girls to find out that too. Oh well. Maybe someday.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 6

Heidi is saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. Really sad. I mean, the other girls are basically heinous bitches; even Wendy, whose duels with Cartman were epic. But they basically shoved her back into Cartman's direction. And he told her what he wanted to hear, followed by awful lies about Kyle, topped with subtle racism. I mean, I can get Kyle making a play for Heidi for the purpose of fucking Cartman over. That might have been at the back of his mind, but I don't think he'd be that big of a scumbag to make that his prime goal. He's not his father, after all.

I like when the boys go for the deep cuts. The booze-soaked nightmare scene in Dumbo? Very nicely done. Also, I get that Cartman crying like a bitch gets old, but it's still entertaining. Of course, he would throw himself at another family for emotional support. Naturally, Token wanted him gone because he's full of shit, but his mother let him in. Always a mistake.

I'm still okay with going to Garrison. The relationship between Heidi and the worst fourth-grader ever does neatly parallel the current political climate. Nice touch to see the top guys basically fucked and beaten up. I'll hold my tongue on the details. One thing . . . Caitlyn Jenner isn't the veep? I'm guessing she ran over three dozen people in the inauguration parade, she resigned in shame, and Mike Pence got picked to replace her. I'm also not that bothered about the obvious "Mitch McConnell is a turtle" joke. Shit, I said the same thing on Facebook with a clip of turtles having fun.

• Love 6

Hey, what happened to Caitlyn Jenner?  I'm offended at this show's lack of continuity!

In all seriousness, I thought the allegorical examination of Trump voters was interestingly ambiguous, in the sense that there's a certain condescension definitely, but at the same time, Heidi eventually resorts to anti-Semitism to rationalize her situation, and that's kind of a built-in weakness, not something you can blame the other girls for.

• Love 6

I was very impressed by that. Not only a clever parallel, but also answering why the show still has those storylines going on.

I also liked that the kids were the focus and Washington just got a few scenes to work the analogy. Sometimes it seems the show forgot where it started. And while it's fine to see Randy or the other adults acting out the latest cultural idiocy, I prefer the flexibility and metaphor you get via kids over the fairly in-your-face stories the adults get.

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, Amarsir said:

I was very impressed by that. Not only a clever parallel, but also answering why the show still has those storylines going on.

Totally!  We’ve all been worried that there wouldn’t be explanation/ resolution to the Cartman/Heidi situation, and instead they offered the most elaborate, disturbing explanation they possibly could and mirrored Trump’s ascendency in the process.  Clever and really well done.  

• Love 8
5 hours ago, benteen said:

Cartmen at his most obnoxious but Classic Cartmen at his most evil.  That was really the only part I found interesting.

10 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Cartman really is a piece of shit. LOL

Yeah, but he's an entertaining piece of shit to watch. Any asshole can rag on their girlfriend. But convincing her that KFC has vegan options, and providing sound and music to mark her (small) weight gain? That's a special kind of evil right there.

• Love 8

Oh my god, this episode was amazing!

I've been loving Season 21 but this episode went far beyond anything they could've done that the viewers/fans would have expected. I had tons of moments I just burst in laughter and as good as the previous episodes have been, they weren't this good. Episode 7 of Season 21 will be worthy of many rewatches. lol

• Love 4

This was well put together and the allegory was spot on. I liked Kyle just clocking Cartman out the most. I was thinking the Heidi situation was beginning to drag so I'm glad there's some resolution to it. 

• Love 2
On 11/8/2017 at 8:30 PM, Galileo908 said:

Yeah, totally a thinly veiled comparison to America & Trump.

On 11/8/2017 at 10:51 PM, Peace 47 said:

We’ve all been worried that there wouldn’t be explanation/ resolution to the Cartman/Heidi situation, and instead they offered the most elaborate, disturbing explanation they possibly could and mirrored Trump’s ascendency in the process.  Clever and really well done.

So there is an answer, and it isn't the flip "because Cartman is an asshole," which made no sense given the priority given to this story line for months. I've been posting for weeks about Cartman and Heidi and the unclear purpose of their conflict. I didn't see the Trump analogy because we already have a Trump figure (Garrison). This ep finally made it clear. Well played, show.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 4

Next episode: "Moss Piglets." Then we get a two-week break before the final two episodes. Will the season end with Heidi kicking Cartman in the balls so hard that he achieves a lot of hang time? Probably not. In the meantime, here's what we got coming this Wednesday:

Jimmy and Timmy’s experiment could win them first prize in the annual science fair.

When was the last time Timmy was front and center? Gotta be "Handicar," right?

ETA: Here's the press release. Say it with me: "MIMSSSSSSSSSSYYYYY!!!!"

• Love 1
On 11/13/2017 at 2:00 AM, Lantern7 said:

Will the season end with Heidi kicking Cartman in the balls so hard that he achieves a lot of hang time? Probably not.

Well, if you substitute "Heidi and Cartman" with "Sheila and Gerald" that was my hope for last season.  My hopes are not high for either scenario this year either.

• Love 1