Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E17: Two-Faced

wknt3
  • Start Topic

Frank's longtime friend Lenny reveals that an upcoming exposé will air some of the NYPD's dirty laundry. Also, Erin must decide how to charge a doctor whose experimental treatments led to the death of his terminally ill daughter. Danny and Baez investigate the mysterious overdose of a promising artist, and Jamie follows a lead about a corrupt officer in his precinct.

I can't imagine the girl kept stealing after the snitch told them about her.  Go Jaimie, telling no one and doing your job.  I expected a bigger fight about that.

This week seemed like a total fairy tale in each story.  Yep, who needs a pension?   More than usual even.

• Love 4

Of course the one semi-regular in the cast who is black turns out to be a dirty cop. Why am I not surprised? Can’t wait to see what sort of shenanigans Erin’s secretary is up to. She looks very suspicious. /s

• Love 5

Eddie thinks Jamie has to tell her everything. They aren’t partners anymore, he’s basically her boss. I suspect either the engagement will end or they’ll decide working together isn’t worth the aggravation.  

50 minutes ago, iwasish said:

Eddie thinks Jamie has to tell her everything. They aren’t partners anymore, he’s basically her boss. I suspect either the engagement will end or they’ll decide working together isn’t worth the aggravation.  

Tom Selleck has already confirmed that there will be a wedding this season.  That will probably be in the season finale.  I'm hoping they come to their senses about working at the same precinct.  

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, rhys said:

"hey it's Severide's dead dad."

Me too, I kept thinking he's a fire fighter not a cop.

I'm glad Jamie didn't tell Eddie what was going on. Stupid of the partner to still steal after the guy they arrested told them about it and how did he know too?

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, rhys said:

I could not follow(or was bored) by the Lenny story. I just kept thinking "hey it's Severide's dead dad."

I kept thinking he was taking the rap and possibly losing his pension cause he was terminally ill and didn’t need it.

The story of the BF killing his artist GF...I think that’s been done on several other shows. 

Why are they turning Erin into wuss?. She used to be pretty cut and dried... lock em up. 

If there’s a wedding,  maybe there’ll be a twist and it will be one of the other, possibly Erin and Jack? 

Once Jamie and Eddie marry, there’s no hiding the relationship. I think she wants a blow out big to do. 

Edited by iwasish

I had to struggle to pay attention to this episode.   IMHO it was one of the worst this season and there were quite a few lousy episodes. There was a time I looked forward to watching Blue Bloods but sadly, that time has come and gone.

• Love 3

Seems to me that the cop who stole the money just started doing it after her kid wanted to go to sports camp (or whatever), not that she’d been doing it for ages. Otherwise, the phone conversation with her kid doesn’t make sense to me. The way I heard it, she was telling Eddie this like it was brand new information and that she was doing fine for money otherwise. Also, her reaction when the guy they arrested said there were corrupt cops made it seem like she didn’t know it was going on. If she was one of them, wouldn’t the suspect just point the finger at her? Finally, would a person who is too proud to let Eddie throw her a fundraiser, who is a police officer, suddenly start stealing?

What a shame to get rid of one of the only POC semi-regular actors, and to make the POC the criminal. Again.

• Love 5

I’m beyond sick of eddie’s sense of entitlement when it comes to Jamie. No, he really doesn’t have to discuss everything with you. Nor should he have given you a heads up. He was doing his job and IAB told him not to say a word to anyone. ANYONE includes you. So get over yourself. But I did like her partner so I’m sorry to see her go.

as others have said here, how exactly are they going to keep their relationship secret after the wedding? Obviously there will be police invited and photos taken. At least one of those photos will likely show up in the press and definitely on social media. And wouldn’t anyone at the precinct ask questions when both the sergeant and a female officer were both on vacation at the same time? Especially an officer who transferred in right after he got the job and who has always had his back. it just makes no sense.  

And speaking of no sense, WTF Erin? Assisted suicide is illegal in NY and yet you recommend probation instead of jail time? All because his wife says that their daughter wouldn’t want her father in prison? And how do you know that the daughter begged him? Because he said so? Yeah okay.

Danny’s story was predictable. It was either the boyfriend or the art collector.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, AnnA said:

I had to struggle to pay attention to this episode.   IMHO it was one of the worst this season and there were quite a few lousy episodes. There was a time I looked forward to watching Blue Bloods but sadly, that time has come and gone.

I know, right? I fell a sleep twice. Good thing I record all my shows. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Sake614 said:

I’m beyond sick of eddie’s sense of entitlement when it comes to Jamie.

Perfectly put.  As soon as she started in with the, "why didn't you tell me?" "Oh, you don't trust me?" crap, I shouted "Shut Up Eddie!" at the tv, causing hub to ask me who I was yelling at?  I'm so proud of Jamie for keeping his own trap shut and handling it the way he did - at roll call - as a message to other cops who may think of getting sticky finger disease

5 hours ago, iwasish said:

I could not follow(or was bored) by the Lenny story. I just kept thinking "hey it's Severide's dead dad."

Nah - to me TW will always be Dr. Andy Brown from 'Everwood' (and currently Mickey O'Brien on Chesapeake Shores)

Anyone getting vibes about medical examiner and Danny??

5 hours ago, AnnA said:

Yeah this was a real dud. The only part of the episode that got anything other than a meh from me was the Jamie plot and that wasn't very intense and all negative. I was rolling my eyes at Jamie when he couldn't understand why Eddie would think he would ever put their relationship over duty and professionalism (hint: the fact that you are having this conversation in the first place...) and I also was a bit queasy, but unsurprised that the young African American female officer who has been willing to consider a different approach to policing turns out to be corrupt. Other than that it was a big yawn from start to finish.

• Love 2

Makes me love Jamie even more and really Eddie does not need  to know. And really think that hopefully they can survive ups and downs. As it always seems to be a black cop no matter male or female that is corrupt no matter what.

Jamie had a tough decision. But he wanted to show those that in front of the others when they were arrested the dirty cop corruption will not be tolerated.

Danny is becoming more and more of a bleep hole. Baez trying to give coffee to suspect only to take it away from her. And she should had thrown the coffee in his face and told him to F himself. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Jlina said:

I can't imagine the girl kept stealing after the snitch told them about her.  Go Jaimie, telling no one and doing your job.  I expected a bigger fight about that.

This week seemed like a total fairy tale in each story.  Yep, who needs a pension?   More than usual even.

Total fairy tale. and it makes me sad. This is the worst season of the entire show. The writing in Season 8 was so great, I never dreamed Season 9 would tank like this.  The fairy tale writing is lazy and an insult to viewers. Yes, we are here to be entertained and no, it's not a documentary, but we're not stupid.  The Jamie and Eddie thing gets dumber every week. She is always engaging him in hushed conversation, and no one is supposed to make anything of that? Why, because he calls her "Officer Janko?" Ooh - great subterfuge! In other stories, I think commercial rent is a little high in New York City for a whole restaurant to be empty any time Frank wants to talk to Lenny. Wouldn't it have made a ton more sense for the place to be jammed, with the tables 5 inches apart, max, like they are in New York, and all the ambient noise and conversation would provide privacy? What, they don't want to pay for extras? Of course Lenny needs his pension. Of course Erin can't be all, "You say you poisoned your daughter out of love, so that's fine.  You did it with a drug you thought they wouldn't catch, and you didn't confess until cornered, but still. It's not like euthanasia is a controversial subject for voters, or my boss, who's elected."  

On a positive note, I thought Anthony was cute as a button with the M.E.  When she said, "Hello," and he replied, "I'm good!" - very cute. If she dates Anthony or Danny, the other one will have a lot to say about it.  I also thought it was an entertaining moment when the girl's mother said, "Have you ever married someone and then found out they were a completely different person?" And Erin And Anthony both nod - "Yes." Also I liked how Lenny called Frank Frankie and affectionately cupped his head.

I would probably stop watching, if I didn't have such affection for Tom Selleck and the Frank Reagan character. Tom looked extra puffy this week, which indicates steroid use for arthritis, to me. And I think he was sitting in absolutely every scene. Not only was there no walking, there was no standing. Poor guy. I bet a Season 10 hinges on his health. Regardless, I hope the writing improves after the basketball break. Whenever it ends, it should end on a high note.

• Love 2

I mainly wanted to watch because of Erin's storyline.  It sounded interesting.  I thought it was going to be a whole medical ethics thing about drugs and treatments not getting approved, blah, blah, blah.  I should have known they wouldn't have time for all that.  I did like that he turned out not to be the arrogant jerk that the wife was describing, though.  

Eddie and Jamie's story was the best of the night, but one again underlines why they should not be working together.  Jamie was right not to tell her, but I do understand why she took that as "you don't trust me."  I never really liked her partner.  She always seemed a bit attitudey to me.  But the thing I will never understand are people who say "I'm not taking charity" to people who offer them money and then they turn around and steal.  It honestly befuzzles my mind.  How is stealing more noble than taking charity?  

Like other people, I don't think I fully followed Frank's story, and I don't think I really cared.

Danny's was same old, same old.  They just don't have enough time to cover a procedural in the 10 minutes they give each character's story.  I've said it before and I'll stay it again, they need to just do two main stories a week and rotate the characters.

Apparently Eddie was over being mad at Jamie by Sunday dinner.  That was good.  Danny's sarcastic comment of "count the survivors" was weird.  

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Sake614 said:

I’m beyond sick of eddie’s sense of entitlement when it comes to Jamie. 

Exactly. And I’m tired of having to suspend belief and accept that their relationship, let alone engagement, is a well-kept secret. I’m sorry, but Jamie just isn’t a cop-he’s the police commissioner’s son (and the former’s grandson.) The Reagan’s have a long legacy within the department (all son’s are cops, one was killed in the line of duty, a daughter-in-law was killed in a copter crash, the daughter works as a DA.) I mean come on. That type of family has clout in NYC and there’s a public interest. There would be Page Six items, and frankly press occasionally following them. The word would be out about an engagement. There’s going to be blow back on Jamie. I can’t stand Eddie so she can be transferred to a subway patrol, I don’t care. And Eddie, please just shut up and stop acting like an entitled brat. 

End rant. Sorry, had to just unload there for a minute.  

• Love 7

I wasn’t crazy about them getting together but I’m okay with the couples scenes like at the family dinner. But at work? Just no. And the more she defends him at the precinct the worse it looks. No way there isn’t talk of them sleeping together. 

• Love 4
On 3/16/2019 at 3:43 PM, Sake614 said:

And speaking of no sense, WTF Erin? Assisted suicide is illegal in NY and yet you recommend probation instead of jail time? All because his wife says that their daughter wouldn’t want her father in prison? And how do you know that the daughter begged him? Because he said so? Yeah okay.

Assisted suicide is illegal in NY and doing unapproved (by the FDA) medical treatments are illegal everywhere.  Having Erin recommend probation is completely out of character for her.  Erin usually throws the book at everyone.  Also, I doubt she would have recommended probation if the doctor was female or a POC.

On 3/16/2019 at 1:53 PM, catalogrrr said:

Seems to me that the cop who stole the money just started doing it after her kid wanted to go to sports camp (or whatever), not that she’d been doing it for ages. . . [removed content here] The way I heard it, she was telling Eddie this like it was brand new information and that she was doing fine for money otherwise.

I also had the impression that Maya (Eddie's partner) got the idea to steal money from the perp who said other cops were doing it.  But then Jamie said that IAB had been looking at Maya for a while and the perp's comment just heated up the investigation. OTOH, I got a very different impression from Maya and Eddie's conversation early in the episode.  The young man who wanted to go to sports camp was Maya's brother.  Eddie commented that Maya has 3 siblings she cares for.  Maya added that she helps her mom, too and that she (the mom) was the worst/neediest of the group.  Just goes to show that the writing for this part of the episode was unclear at best.

On 3/16/2019 at 1:53 PM, catalogrrr said:

What a shame to get rid of one of the only POC semi-regular actors, and to make the POC the criminal. Again.

ITA. 

When the ME character was introduced I thought she was going to be Danny's love interest.  But she was clearly flirting with Anthony this week and not flirting with Danny.  I think she really is annoyed by Danny (and Erin, too) and that acting annoyed isn't just her way of flirting.  #teamAnthony

As to the Lenny story line, he might be able to live without his pension.  When that character was introduced several seasons ago it was because he had written a book titled "Back in the Day" which glorified his and Frank's shenanigans.  Frank, Lenny, and some of their buddies talked about Lenny having a chain of bars/restaurants and that he lives in Florida (cheaper than NYC).  Between the bars/restaurants and the book proceeds, Lenny might not need the police pension.  The writers could have cleared that up by simply having Lenny respond to Frank's comment about losing his pension with "The book sales were great and the bars are doing well.  I'll be fine."  If the writers wanted us to think that Lenny is being noble with this move, he could have responded, "Yes, losing the pension will hurt.  But having the reporter figure out who really did these things and the loss of pension for the widow will hurt her and the kids more."  But that would require some effort from the writers.

Add me to the group that thinks that having 4 story lines in each episode results in too much being left out of the stories.  The viewers are left confused about what happened and why.    

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Blondnotstupid said:

Assisted suicide is illegal in NY and doing unapproved (by the FDA) medical treatments are illegal everywhere.  Having Erin recommend probation is completely out of character for her.  Erin usually throws the book at everyone.  Also, I doubt she would have recommended probation if the doctor was female or a POC.

I don't know about that last sentence, but otherwise I agree.  I think there should have maybe been some mercy in his sentencing, but probation was too light.

Katy M, my last sentence wasn't clear (Hey!  I could become a writer for this show!!)  I felt like Erin looked at the doctor and saw someone like her ex-, Jack.  From the question from the wife, "Did you ever marry someone and find out they were someone else?" (paraphrasing there) to his appearance, to his ego.  IMO, he was the medical-professional version of Jack. 

26 minutes ago, Blondnotstupid said:

Katy M, my last sentence wasn't clear (Hey!  I could become a writer for this show!!)  I felt like Erin looked at the doctor and saw someone like her ex-, Jack.  From the question from the wife, "Did you ever marry someone and find out they were someone else?" (paraphrasing there) to his appearance, to his ego.  IMO, he was the medical-professional version of Jack. 

OK, I thought you were just generally calling her a sexist racist, and I've never gotten that vibe from the Reagans.  But, now I do understand, because I remember the look on her face after that question. 

Katy M, I didn't mean to call her a sexist racist at all.  Thank you for letting me clear that up.  Erin is portrayed as very by-the-book--think about how many times she has chewed Danny out for cutting corners.  Think about how many times she has reported co-workers to the Disciplinary Board.  While she will show some mercy towards defendants and decrease the severity of the charges against a defendant I don't think we've ever seen her drop multiple felony charges down far enough that probation would be the sentence.  The doctor reminded me of Jack in behavior and appearance and maybe he did for Erin, too.  The physical and behavioral similarities were the only things I could think of to make Erin reduce the charges like she did as it is so inconsistent with her character.  

4 minutes ago, Blondnotstupid said:

Katy M, I didn't mean to call her a sexist racist at all.  Thank you for letting me clear that up.  Erin is portrayed as very by-the-book--think about how many times she has chewed Danny out for cutting corners.  Think about how many times she has reported co-workers to the Disciplinary Board.  While she will show some mercy towards defendants and decrease the severity of the charges against a defendant I don't think we've ever seen her drop multiple felony charges down far enough that probation would be the sentence.  The doctor reminded me of Jack in behavior and appearance and maybe he did for Erin, too.  The physical and behavioral similarities were the only things I could think of to make Erin reduce the charges like she did as it is so inconsistent with her character.  

I agree.  I don't think murder one (which is what she was threatening before the meeting) would have been the best charge, but neither was just probation.  Happy medium, Erin.  Either way, a judge has to approve that plea, right?  I wish we could have seen that hearing.

On 3/20/2019 at 1:18 PM, Blondnotstupid said:

I also had the impression that Maya (Eddie's partner) got the idea to steal money from the perp who said other cops were doing it.  But then Jamie said that IAB had been looking at Maya for a while and the perp's comment just heated up the investigation. OTOH, I got a very different impression from Maya and Eddie's conversation early in the episode.  The young man who wanted to go to sports camp was Maya's brother.  Eddie commented that Maya has 3 siblings she cares for.  Maya added that she helps her mom, too and that she (the mom) was the worst/neediest of the group.  Just goes to show that the writing for this part of the episode was unclear at best.

ITA. 

When the ME character was introduced I thought she was going to be Danny's love interest.  But she was clearly flirting with Anthony this week and not flirting with Danny.  I think she really is annoyed by Danny (and Erin, too) and that acting annoyed isn't just her way of flirting.  #teamAnthony

As to the Lenny story line, he might be able to live without his pension.  When that character was introduced several seasons ago it was because he had written a book titled "Back in the Day" which glorified his and Frank's shenanigans.  Frank, Lenny, and some of their buddies talked about Lenny having a chain of bars/restaurants and that he lives in Florida (cheaper than NYC).  Between the bars/restaurants and the book proceeds, Lenny might not need the police pension.  The writers could have cleared that up by simply having Lenny respond to Frank's comment about losing his pension with "The book sales were great and the bars are doing well.  I'll be fine."  If the writers wanted us to think that Lenny is being noble with this move, he could have responded, "Yes, losing the pension will hurt.  But having the reporter figure out who really did these things and the loss of pension for the widow will hurt her and the kids more."  But that would require some effort from the writers.

Add me to the group that thinks that having 4 story lines in each episode results in too much being left out of the stories.  The viewers are left confused about what happened and why.    

Thanks so much for your comments on my post, BLONDNOTSTUPID. You caught things I didn't re: the Maya storyline. I only half-watch the show anyway, usually on Saturday mornings as I'm waking up so clearly I wasn't paying as much attention as you were. Your clarifications make the thing make a little more sense (just a little, though, because OMG these writers). LOL 

• Love 1
On 3/17/2019 at 3:35 PM, hookedontv said:

Exactly. And I’m tired of having to suspend belief and accept that their relationship, let alone engagement, is a well-kept secret. I’m sorry, but Jamie just isn’t a cop-he’s the police commissioner’s son (and the former’s grandson.) The Reagan’s have a long legacy within the department (all son’s are cops, one was killed in the line of duty, a daughter-in-law was killed in a copter crash, the daughter works as a DA.) I mean come on. That type of family has clout in NYC and there’s a public interest. There would be Page Six items, and frankly press occasionally following them. The word would be out about an engagement. There’s going to be blow back on Jamie. I can’t stand Eddie so she can be transferred to a subway patrol, I don’t care. And Eddie, please just shut up and stop acting like an entitled brat. 

End rant. Sorry, had to just unload there for a minute.  

I agree with all this. Frank even says in this episode itself to Severide's dad   how Jamie's engaged and to a cop. So they're not keeping it secret in their circle. The fact nobody in the that building they work in knows he's engaged to Eddie is ridiculous.

• Love 1