Type keyword(s) to search

S38.E02: One of Us Is Going to Win

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, SallySarue said:

Then why doesn't everyone do this? Why would anyone take the chance of hiding it in their personal belongings, and having other people possibly find it or see you hide it, if the idol is just yours once you've "spoken for it," even if you technically/physically lose it? That doesn't seem to make any sense. 

I just read the facts thread, and it says the idol cannot be stolen from another player. I interpret that to mean that it cannot be stolen if it is stored ON the other person, or in their personal belongings. It doesn't say "the idol cannot be stolen if it is rehidden on some random part of the beach that doesn't belong to that person." That would be effed up if that were true. That would completely negate all of the safety & self-assurance that finding the idol provides (which is the whole point of the idol), because no one wouldn't ever know if it was really theirs to keep, or if someone had already found & rehid it. That just seems silly.

I'm sorry, but this is settled Survivor law.  (@Whimsy maybe we could make this more clear on the FAQ?)  I assume people keep their idol with them because they want to have it handy, in case of swaps, etc.

They like to try to make us forget this, but even Reem is not in any sense alone.  She, like everyone, is surrounded by a swarm of camerapeople and producers.  If someone digs up Lauren's idol, one of those people will tell them it already belongs to someone, so they won't be bamboozled that way.

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

Maybe he was thinking about having to swim/get assistance swimming trying not to drown again should he stay.

I doubt they'd put anyone in that position. Anyone (especially at night) could say, 'Nope. NOPE! Changed my mind, and I'm outta here.'

1 hour ago, KimberStormer said:

I'm sorry, but this is settled Survivor law.  (@Whimsy maybe we could make this more clear on the FAQ?)  I assume people keep their idol with them because they want to have it handy, in case of swaps, etc.

They like to try to make us forget this, but even Reem is not in any sense alone.  She, like everyone, is surrounded by a swarm of camerapeople and producers.  If someone digs up Lauren's idol, one of those people will tell them it already belongs to someone, so they won't be bamboozled that way.

I just copied the info from the two sites linked in the thread. I don’t know any more than that. Sorry. 

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:11 AM, SVNBob said:

How long have they been in Fiji?  And reusing the same beaches for camps?  

They're also reusing players, the whole "person in isolation" concept and challenges. (How unfair is it that Aubrey is not only playing for the third time,, but she has done the challenges before?). Maybe this season should be called Survivor: Recycled instead of Edge of Extinction.

• Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:50 PM, gesundheit said:

If someone were dumb enough to lose their own immunity idol, they do not deserve a replacement.

I just thought she should be concerned that there might be a tribe switch or a merge where she ends up no longer in the vicinity of where she buried it. 

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:05 PM, Special K said:

I'm actually confused by it.  When I saw Elohim, I surmised he is Jewish, but the Torah prohibits tattoos.  Maybe he's not very observant.

I meet a devotedly Christian guy who had, "I am the Lord and the Lord is me," tattooed around his leg in Hebrew. When I read it out loud, he admitted that he actually had no idea what the pronunciation was.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

I just thought she should be concerned that there might be a tribe switch or a merge where she ends up no longer in the vicinity of where she buried it. 

Someone earlier said that Production would retrieve any player-hidden HII and give it to the person who found it at their new camp. I'm not sure where their source was on that, but I believe it may have actually happened in another season.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:49 PM, 30 Helens said:

. And don’t get me started on “conversate”.

I'm equally annoyed by "convo," and, apparently, so is spell check.

3 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

What happens if Lauren gets voted off while her idol is still buried? When she comes back from extinction, can she use it then? If someone is voted off with an idol in his pocket, is the idol rehidden for the masses, or can that person also bring it back with him from extinction?

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, eel2178 said:

What happens if Lauren gets voted off while her idol is still buried? When she comes back from extinction, can she use it then? If someone is voted off with an idol in his pocket, is the idol rehidden for the masses, or can that person also bring it back with him from extinction?

normally I think it would be rehidden for the others, that would be normal procedure

Edited by amazingracefan
14 hours ago, eel2178 said:

They're also reusing players, the whole "person in isolation" concept and challenges. (How unfair is it that Aubrey is not only playing for the third time,, but she has done the challenges before?). Maybe this season should be called Survivor: Recycled instead of Edge of Extinction.

I don't like Aubry, but I think the "unfair" advantage of having played twice before is offset by the fact that newbies will tend to target returning players and perhaps more importantly, that many have seen you play before and know your game and your strengths and weaknesses.

If newbies allow a minority of returning players to get the best of them, it is their own fault.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, eel2178 said:

I don't know what happens when an idol holder gets sent to EOE.

I think the only precedent would be Redemption Island.  I remember Ozzy gave his idol to Cocharane for safe keeping, when he voluntarily went to RI.  I don't recall if that was because he couldn't take it to RI or because he wanted his tribe to have it, in case he lost a duel and got eliminated.

Not-so-little-anymore Khaleesi (12) watched E2 with me.  *squee*

David takes a backseat in most strategy conversations: 
Look at David, like a little Complaint Sponge, soaking up everything he needs to have things go his way later.  That's how all the vets should play, because literally no one seems to be looking at David as a vet- only Aubry, Kelley and Joe.

On her favorite former player rocking a handlebar:
So is Joe auditioning to be the new Pringles guy?

RE: the potential Wentworth vote:
It's like after 150 seasons they have finally realized that people with targets on their back are good to keep around for after-merge eliminations.  They should really come up with a different phrase than "she has a target on her back" because they're usually safer than people without targets on their back and really that makes no sense.

Keith looks for divine guidance after his tribe has spoken: 
Keith, stop blowing up God's phone.  God has bigger problems than which boat you take to eventually get sent home anyway.

But my favorite gem was when she likened the episode title ("One of us is going to win") to the scene in A League of Their Own where Madonna changes "Some of yous are going home" to "Some of them are going home" upon seeing small-town Dottie's mental fortitude and catching skills: 

Careful Kelly, someone you're underestimating might seriously outplay you.  Like one day soon when the-183rd-out-of-190-most-popular station Anchorman and his friend David the Complaint Sponge remind everyone of all the times they themselves said you were a big target, and convince them that it's actually their idea to get you out.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Bucket said:

@Drogo, glad to see your daughter is back!  She is VERY smart and could do stand up.  Kudos for raising a gem. 

I fully expect her to be the Sole Survivor of "Survivor 50: We Ran out of Dopey Themes and Twists".     

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2

I'm wondering if every episode is now going to have a little sliver of Edge of Extinction, where a new player shows up and they talk about what is going on.  Kind of like Ponderosa but they are still in the game.  When there was Exile and or Redemption Island, did we always get so much anguishing about how they are there and want to get back in the game?

Because honestly, I hope more people get to EoE soon because I really don't think I can stand listening to Reem anymore.  She claims she was voted out for being "older".  I would have voted her out just for her irritating voice alone.  There's something about it that has this tone of arrogance and condescension that I can't stand.  Like she thinks she is too good to be speaking to any of these people around her.  I have no doubt that after this season is over, she's going to come out and play the same "strong woman" card that Angelina did, that people didn't like her because she was a strong take-charge kind of woman and that if a man behaved the same way, she would have been called the leader, etc.  Aargh.  When she was crying about almost raising the flag of surrender I was yelling at her to do so.

Regarding Lauren's hiding of the idol in the sand vs. hiding it in her bag... I guess there's no real good option.  If she hides it in the jungle where someone else can discover it, viewers will call her stupid for hiding it out in the open.  If she hides it in her bag where others could rifle through it like Jeremy did to Dan last season, viewers will call her stupid for not hiding it better.  I remember Dan was wearing skintight boxer briefs and he stuck the idol down the front of his underwear.  Lauren was wearing bikini underwear and a bra, I don't think she could have hidden it on her person.

What I'd really like is for production to make a rule against going through people's bags.  If they can make a rule that says if you find an idol and it has already been claimed that they will tell you that it's not yours, why can't they make a rule that says don't rifle through people's bags?

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Regarding Lauren's hiding of the idol in the sand vs. hiding it in her bag... I guess there's no real good option.  If she hides it in the jungle where someone else can discover it, viewers will call her stupid for hiding it out in the open.  If she hides it in her bag where others could rifle through it like Jeremy did to Dan last season, viewers will call her stupid for not hiding it better.

You are making sense here.  She may have found the ultimate Idol hiding technique.  Only for this season, however.  😆

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I'm wondering if every episode is now going to have a little sliver of Edge of Extinction, where a new player shows up and they talk about what is going on.  Kind of like Ponderosa but they are still in the game.  When there was Exile and or Redemption Island, did we always get so much anguishing about how they are there and want to get back in the game?

Because honestly, I hope more people get to EoE soon because I really don't think I can stand listening to Reem anymore.  She claims she was voted out for being "older".  I would have voted her out just for her irritating voice alone.  There's something about it that has this tone of arrogance and condescension that I can't stand.  Like she thinks she is too good to be speaking to any of these people around her.  I have no doubt that after this season is over, she's going to come out and play the same "strong woman" card that Angelina did, that people didn't like her because she was a strong take-charge kind of woman and that if a man behaved the same way, she would have been called the leader, etc.  Aargh.  When she was crying about almost raising the flag of surrender I was yelling at her to do so.

Regarding Lauren's hiding of the idol in the sand vs. hiding it in her bag... I guess there's no real good option.  If she hides it in the jungle where someone else can discover it, viewers will call her stupid for hiding it out in the open.  If she hides it in her bag where others could rifle through it like Jeremy did to Dan last season, viewers will call her stupid for not hiding it better.  I remember Dan was wearing skintight boxer briefs and he stuck the idol down the front of his underwear.  Lauren was wearing bikini underwear and a bra, I don't think she could have hidden it on her person.

What I'd really like is for production to make a rule against going through people's bags.  If they can make a rule that says if you find an idol and it has already been claimed that they will tell you that it's not yours, why can't they make a rule that says don't rifle through people's bags?

I totally agree about he idol hiding.  Whatever they do, people will call them fools.  

It seems like the only way for Lauren (and Dan last season) to hide the idols on their person would be to use the method Christopher Walken used to hide Bruce Willis' father's watch in the POW camp.

I think they allow rifling through bags because it creates drama.   I agree that they should make a rule against it.  Also, it is supposedly strictly against the rules to steal other people's personal property, but we have seen people steal and sometimes destroy, socks, hats and shoes on several occasions. Again, I think it is tolerated because it sometimes adds drama and comedy.  

• Love 1
(edited)
17 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

"Survivor 50: We Ran out of Dopey Themes and Twists". 

Or "Survivor 51: Our Parents Spent A Lot of Time on Survivor TV Forums."

*She'd be happy to know she'd start that season with a non-target target on her back.

Edited by Drogo
ETA: targets and stuff
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

@Drogo - I love your kid; she reminds me of mine. 😄

3 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

It seems like the only way for Lauren (and Dan last season) to hide the idols on their person would be to use the method Christopher Walken used to hide Bruce Willis' father's watch in the POW camp.

Thank you - I needed a laugh first thing this morning.  😆

3 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I think they allow rifling through bags because it creates drama.   I agree that they should make a rule against it.  Also, it is supposedly strictly against the rules to steal other people's personal property, but we have seen people steal and sometimes destroy, socks, hats and shoes on several occasions. Again, I think it is tolerated because it sometimes adds drama and comedy.  

IIRC in the early seasons of Survivor it was against the rules for a player to steal, damage, or otherwise mess with other players’ clothing or personal items.  Both Rupert Hambone and Russell Hantz contributed to the near-total destruction of these safeguards, however, because they contrived ways to steal and destroy in a manner which appealed to the One Rule of Production which overrides all others: If it makes for good TV, anything goes.  😐

• Love 4
On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:09 AM, GaT said:

I have watched every season of Survivor & have absolutely no memory of Kelly Wentworth. Everyone keeps talking about her like she's a great player, & I don't remember a thing about her. 

Thank you--I can't remember her either.

• Love 1

I see different kinds of advantages for where to hide a secret idol:

- somewhere not linked to you: you know and production knows it's yours, so no risk of losing it. If indeed even if contestants change camps without notice they will have to idol brought back to them, that's one less risk. Even if someone else chances upon it, and is told it's spoken for, the only intel really is that some unknown person has it, not who it is, so it's easier to pretend you're not the idol owner.

- on your person/ in your bag: no need to get to it before tribal (or in case of sudden tribal), so no risk of having it back somewhere when you realize it's you who's going, maybe some sort of emotional blanket for the player, and the possibility to show it easily to someone who needs that certainty to ally with you. Then again, if it's seen in your bag, you may become a target you otherwise wouldn't have been.

In conclusion, I see both options are equally valid, and I'd think the choice depends on the specific individuals (idol holder and make up of the tribe) and on whether the holder is more comfortable keeping it a secret or using it for leverage.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, RedbirdNelly said:

Thank you--I can't remember her either.

Basically all I remember from her first season was playing with her father, Dale, and treating him very disrespectfully -- apparently he was screwing up her game.  I'm sure that's so (he didn't seem as into it as she was), but I am not a fan of humiliating loved-ones in public for any reason, let alone for TV fame.  So I'm not really such a fan.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Special K said:

Basically all I remember from her first season was playing with her father, Dale, and treating him very disrespectfully -- apparently he was screwing up her game.  I'm sure that's so (he didn't seem as into it as she was), but I am not a fan of humiliating loved-ones in public for any reason, let alone for TV fame.  So I'm not really such a fan.

thanks for mentioning that--I know have a brief memory of her.

8 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I don't like Aubry, but I think the "unfair" advantage of having played twice before is offset by the fact that newbies will tend to target returning players and perhaps more importantly, that many have seen you play before and know your game and your strengths and weaknesses.

If newbies allow a minority of returning players to get the best of them, it is their own fault.

However, the edge of extinction crap sets it up so the returning players really can't be immediately voted out. As long as they have an option to return to the game later, they continue to be shoved down people's throats whether or not anyone wants them there.

(edited)
On 2/28/2019 at 12:27 AM, 30 Helens said:

Victoria: “I know I should be looking for idols, but I have no idea how you’d even begin to start looking!”

Me: “Maybe try moving your feet?”

Dumbass.

I'm so happy about the existence of Julie and Victoria in this episode.  Because people always claim that there are "millions, billions of hours of footage of people looking for idols fruitlessly!  Oh the hours!  Oh the hours and hours and hours that could fill Scorsese and Apatow's entire filmography!  Everyone looks for idols!  The editors just don't want you to see it!  So finding an idol proves absolutely no skill in this game at all!"   And finally this episode they showed us not one but TWO PEOPLE who refused to look, Julie screaming "How would I look for an idol?  Who would look for an idol?  What is an idol?  How to find idol?" but standing absolutely still in place and Victoria with her winter toque on, rolling her eyes like "Yeah, whatever, dude........"  It makes me so happy.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay