Type keyword(s) to search

S38.E02: One of Us Is Going to Win

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

If Wendy flipped to the cool kids alliance, she would be the clear #5 of 5, and all alone with 2 pairs of buddies (Chris/The Warthog, Kelley/Lauren).

In an alliance of 5 with 2 couples is a great place to be - makes you the swing vote for either direction, and really puts you as the #3 of 5.

48 minutes ago, blackwing said:
  18 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

How many people are you thinking of?  Keith can SORT of swim.  He wasn't like Osten, the only other person I can think of who fits this description, from 4000 seasons ago.   

48 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I don't think the show is all about swimming but if you can't swim you are going to perceived as weak because at some point, you need to be able to swim to do OK in challenges.

I seem to think that Bossy Natalie from last season also could barely swim.

Gervase from Season 1 was the original non-swimmer.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

All of his 'help me God! Oh Jesus!' keening at the end really annoyed me.  The sign did not read, "Choose this path if you want your mother to be in a disfiguring car accident OR this path if you want your father to suffer a heart attack".  

I couldn't help thinking he was freaked out by the idea of getting on a boat, in the dark, on the open ocean - as he can barely swim. Which is a fair point, I suppose, but it was an annoying way to end the show.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, OldWiseOne said:

In an alliance of 5 with 2 couples is a great place to be - makes you the swing vote for either direction, and really puts you as the #3 of 5.

Yeah, but the original poster made it seem like black people who cannot swim being cast on this show happens all of the time, and I disagree with that.  If Gervase could not swim (I don't remember, it's been like 2 decades) and Osten DEFINITELY could not swim, that's two people, and I still say Keith can sort of swim, he's definitely not great at it.  3 people in 38 seasons does not a trend make.

Last season just happened and I can't for the life of me remember Bossy Natalie's swimming skills or lack thereof, so I don't think that really can be piled on this either.  

I'm all for diverse casting, so when an argument comes up like "They shouldn't cast black people who can't swim" I disagree, because for me, the more diversity the better.  A few people that are non-white are going to fall into stereotypes that white people have about them, unfortunately, and I don't find stereotypes useful, helpful, interesting, or important.  They're just stereotypes.  

I feel like Davie and Carl were fine at swimming.  So?  I don't really think Survivor casting people hunt for black people who can't swim to reinforce stereotypes.  I just don't buy into this one bit.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9
10 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yeah, but the original poster made it seem like black people who cannot swim being cast on this show happens all of the time, and I disagree with that.  If Gervase could not swim (I don't remember, it's been like 2 decades) and Osten DEFINITELY could not swim, that's two people, and I still say Keith can sort of swim, he's definitely not great at it.  3 people in 38 seasons does not a trend make.

Last season just happened and I can't for the life of me remember Bossy Natalie's swimming skills or lack thereof, so I don't think that really can be piled on this either.  

I'm all for diverse casting, so when an argument comes up like "They shouldn't cast black people who can't swim" I disagree, because for me, the more diversity the better.  A few people that are non-white are going to fall into stereotypes that white people have about them, unfortunately, and I don't find stereotypes useful, helpful, interesting, or important.  They're just stereotypes.  

I feel like Davie and Carl were fine at swimming.  So?  I don't really think Survivor casting people hunt for black people who can't swim to reinforce stereotypes.  I just don't buy into this one bit.

Jaison from Samoa comes to mind -- wasn't he a water polo player? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Special K said:

Who is this fox-faced young guy with the pineapple aloha shirt?  Is he new?

That's Gavin from Tennessee, the firefighter's sidekick. He/they together have had lots of talking heads - more so in the first episode, I think.

18 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I still say Keith can sort of swim, he's definitely not great at it.

Keith definitely can swim - as shown, when Reem, The Very Weak Older Woman, dontcha know, was coaching him in shallower waters. But he's not strong or confidant enough in his swimming to be thrust into deep waters - and that sense of panic would short out any thinking skills, too.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Also Gervase played twice..... you're telling me this guy could not swim through 2 seasons?  That's far-fetched.

He took swim lessons for his second season I think but still was not comfrotable in the water. I cannot list all of the African Americans who have been poor to awful swimmers but there have been a good number. Jaison was the water polo player and even commented that he was going to surprise person because he was Black and could swim. 

• Love 2

I'm wondering if the pressure to continue in the game might be more "social" the earlier you are voted out. By "social" I mean the thinking that the people that are important to you might expect you to go further in the game.

9 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I don't have any problem with Wentworth.  But, I also see no benefit to Wendy in getting rid of David.

David and Rick were willing to work with her.  If they had gotten rid of Kelley, David, Rick, Keith and Wendy would br running the tribe right now.

If Wendy flipped to the cool kids alliance, she would be the clear #5 of 5, and all alone with 2 pairs of buddies (Chris/The Warthog, Kelley/Lauren).

And David/Rick are tight. And THANK GOD that foursome isnt running things 

1 hour ago, SVNBob said:

Not true.  Per the rules from the Survivor Wiki, as noted in the pinned Survivor Info thread here:

Yes, but that is referring to stealing someone's idol. If you bury it by the sea and it washes back up, you are finding it - not rooting about in someone's personal items for it.

edit to add: I don't actually care, I am just hoping we are treated to a shot of a soggy blue cotton package floating aimlessly out to sea.

Edited by violet and green
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3

I found the scene of Lauren's idol find.

First she finds it in a tree trunk up in the woods.

Then it looks like she buries it right at the top of the high tide mark in wet sand, while standing on dry dirt.  Then they cut to her turning and walking away like she is in the woods.

It goes really fast and I can't really be sure either way, but it does look vulnerable.

After some contemplation (and now knowing the possession rule), she should have just put it back in the tree and covered it with some leaves.

I understand that an idol found is the property of the founder (even when destroyed by another contestant). I would think that's cannon, but I have no idea if tide taking the idol would also count as void.  I tend to think it would still be a valid / replaced idol though.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, cowgirlwen said:

To me, what would have been better, is if they each would have gotten sent to their own IOE, and were kept completely isolated from other people until whatever challenge is going to take place to offer one of them a chance to get back into the game.  That way, they each would have to face the same lonliness and physical struggles that Reem has had to from the beginning.  

Do we know for certain something like this won't happen? I just feel like we know nothing so far about how it works. I hope it's not just basically a 3rd tribe with worse conditions.

In Keith's defense, I'm 125% certain the producers encouraged his indecisive performance for drama. The only people who'd ever take the "quit now" option are people who are actually relieved to be voted out. Nothing else makes sense since they have no idea what it even means.

I really do want to know who voted for whom. There were quite a few votes left that didn't even get read!

1 minute ago, NutMeg said:

I understand that an idol found is the property of the founder (even when destroyed by another contestant). I would think that's cannon, but I have no idea if tide taking the idol would also count as void.  I tend to think it would still be a valid / replaced idol though.

If someone were dumb enough to lose their own immunity idol, they do not deserve a replacement.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, mojoween said:

Until they showed them talking to each other, I would have bet my mortgage that Eric and Gavin were the same person.

I’m honestly still not convinced they aren’t.

Lauren’s role models are Parvati and Kelley and therefore I’m all set with Lauren kthanxbye.

Where did Chris come from?  Why did I not see this beautiful boy before tonight?!?  He should attend all Tribal Councils from now on even in seasons he’s not on.

Oh yes Chris was a nice addition to the screen.  He can lose the blue jeans.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, violet and green said:

...Chris has ELOHIM in big letters on his right flank.

It means "God" in Hebrew. Meh. I would be more impressed if he had a Cthulhu or FSM tattoo. Inking GOD on your body in big black letters is so, umm, sanctimonious. That kind of pretension just leaves me cold. Because of that, I'm not rooting for him.

Let Rick or Wendy or one of the less beautiful people win this time -- just as long as the less beautiful person isn't Aubry!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Ron Clark aka Matthew Perry aka Chandler was hilarious choreographing the Kama dance.

That Kama Dance was one of the best things I've ever seen on this show.  I was mightily disappointed that they didn't break it out at the challenge.  

Keith.  Bless his heart.  Maybe he'd just better take the right fork in the road and call it quits.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, OldWiseOne said:

But, he could paddle!  IIRC, he went up against Kelly Wigglesworth, who was a river guide who paddled for a living.  Everyone figure she would beat him easily, but he ended up beating her by a wide margin to help his tribe win the challenge.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

from https://ew.com/tv/2019/02/28/survivor-jeff-probst-edge-of-extinction-episode-2/

Dalton Ross: What exactly are contestants being provided at EOE, and how does it stack up to Exile and Redemption?

Jif: The only comparison to Redemption is that from a structure point of view someone will have a chance to get back in the game. From a living point of view, this is the most extreme situation we’ve ever created for the players. Part of the experience is for the audience to learn alongside the players. All Reem knows, and therefore all the audience knows, is what the Edge of Extinction sign says, which is in essence: “This is going to be extremely tough. Let us know if you’ve had enough and we’ll send a boat. Until then, good luck.”

So, for Reem, this means total uncertainty. She has very little information, no idea what, if anything, to look forward to and no way to anticipate. It’s a moment by moment existence. That is one of the biggest parts of the test. It becomes much easier to endure if you have some sort of timeline and can see the light at the end of the tunnel. But that is not the situation. Is there more to come? Most definitely. Do I want to give that away? Absolutely not!

----

I am sure I recall Jeff saying earlier on that everyone who goes to EofE has a chance to come back in - so long as they stay, and don't quit the isle.

4 minutes ago, Dominii said:

It means "God" in Hebrew. 

Yeah, I know what it means. I was more wondering if he was into ceremonial magic.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Dominii said:

It means "God" in Hebrew. Meh. I would be more impressed if he had a Cthulhu or FSM tattoo. Inking GOD on your body in big black letters is so, umm, sanctimonious. That kind of pretension just leaves me cold. Because of that, I'm not rooting for him.

Let Rick or Wendy or one of the less beautiful people win this time -- just as long as the less beautiful person isn't Aubry!

I'm actually confused by it.  When I saw Elohim, I surmised he is Jewish, but the Torah prohibits tattoos.  Maybe he's not very observant.

• LOL 4
12 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

But, he could paddle!  IIRC, he went up against Kelly Wigglesworth, who was a river guide who paddled for a living.  Everyone figure she would beat him easily, but he ended up beating her by a wide margin to help his tribe win the challenge.  

LOL.  Thank you for this memory.  It reinforces my thinking that stereotypes are often disproved.  

Also (I know he isn't popular) but one of my favourite winners, Tony, was NOTORIOUSLY awful at puzzles.  I'll never forget a challenge, deep, deep, DEEP into the game where they had to do a slide puzzle.  He was just furiously moving the pieces around.  Furiously!  Very quickly!  No thought or game plan whatsoever.  LOL.  I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that Tony has NEVER won a puzzle challenge in his season, rather it was probably people like Tasha or Spencer (i.e. members of the Brain tribe).  YET he won Survivor.  My point is, if you're terrible at ONE thing I don't think it holds you back in this game.  There are exceptions (like social stuff?), but for puzzles or physical, I think you're okay.

Now one thing I DO believe, is that you have to or AT LEAST SHOULD hunt for idols.  That's something I believe.  I know a lot of people probably disagree, but that's just my personal opinion and definitely what I would be focusing on.  Saying you don't believe in idols in the "New Generation Survivor" is as weird as saying you don't need an alliance.  I think you definitely need and/or should hunt for both!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, violet and green said:

I couldn't help thinking he was freaked out by the idea of getting on a boat, in the dark, on the open ocean - as he can barely swim. Which is a fair point, I suppose, but it was an annoying way to end the show.

This could be true. Additionally, on Rob's podcast, Stephen Fishbach's take was that as a 19 year old just stumbling out of a super stressful blindside, he just couldn't think. Stephen speaks of your mental state leaving tribal after a blindside as a sort of blackout. You're in shock and definitely not firing on all cylinders. 

Edited by Melina22
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Special K said:

I'm actually confused by it.  When I saw Elohim, I surmised he is Jewish, but the Torah prohibits tattoos.  Maybe he's not very observant.

A lot of Christians are into Hebrew and Greek words from the Bible.   There have been many books written about the various Hebrew names for God.  

Anything is possible, but I tend to doubt a guy with an Anglo last name who is from Greenville, SC is Jewish.  The population of SC is only 0.29% Jewish.  

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

LOL.  Thank you for this memory.  It reinforces my thinking that stereotypes are often disproved.  

Also (I know he isn't popular) but one of my favourite winners, Tony, was NOTORIOUSLY awful at puzzles.  I'll never forget a challenge, deep, deep, DEEP into the game where they had to do a slide puzzle.  He was just furiously moving the pieces around.  Furiously!  Very quickly!  No thought or game plan whatsoever.  LOL.  I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that Tony has NEVER won a puzzle challenge in his season, rather it was probably people like Tasha or Spencer (i.e. members of the Brain tribe).  YET he won Survivor.  My point is, if you're terrible at ONE thing I don't think it holds you back in this game.  There are exceptions (like social stuff?), but for puzzles or physical, I think you're okay.

Now one thing I DO believe, is that you have to or AT LEAST SHOULD hunt for idols.  That's something I believe.  I know a lot of people probably disagree, but that's just my personal opinion and definitely what I would be focusing on.  Saying you don't believe in idols in the "New Generation Survivor" is as weird as saying you don't need an alliance.  I think you definitely need and/or should hunt for both!

Along similar lines, I recently watched Samoa and when they first landed on the beach they picked captains, Mick and Russell Swan.  Then the captains had to pick, I believe the best swimmer, strongest, most agile and smartest players, without knowing anything about them, for the first challenge.  

Mick chose Jaison (a young black man) to do the swimming, which went against the stereotype.  It paid off huge, as it turns out that Jaison was a water polo player in college and an outstanding swimmer, and dominated that part of the challenge.     

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I believe that was Alicia and the neanderthals were Scot and Jason. I forgot which season but it was Aubry's first season and Michelle ended up winning. Tai was on that season, too.

Oh, thank you.  Random blonde confusion.  Now THAT's who deserves another chance.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

Which one is Rick?  Is that the anchorman?  I could have sworn his name is "Kevin".  Isn't that what Jeff was calling him?  I find him very irritating and I disliked him instantly in the first episode.  Kudos to commentator on the Jared Fogle comparison.  I thought the same last episode, but this episode he took his shirt off, and.... yeah.  He claimed he has a "dad bod" and as I mentioned in the thread for the first episode, there's a big difference between a dad bod (used to be in shape and let go a little bit, but can still tell the guy is or was once strong) versus being flat out overweight.  This guy is in the latter category.

That is him, and his last name is Devens, which is apparently what he'll be called this season.  Why, I don't know.  Again, why is he so special he gets the last name treatment?  I can't imagine ever being that desperate for the Probst seal of approval and a potential Survivor legacy that I want Probst to use my last name.  I wonder if anyone has ever asked Probst to call them by their last name and he said no?

As for Rick or Devens or Jared or whatever we're going to call him, I don't like him, either.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

So there are TWO really hot guys this season.  And one of them, well, let's just say...................... I've basically seen his entire body tonight.  All of the....... parts.  And I am fine with that.  hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha.

I am right there with you!  The camera panned across him and I was like whoa!  Pause.  Well Hello there darlin'.  He sells solar panels.  I think I may need to be savin' on my electric bill.

78f17991-361b-4391-9246-418a628a5eea-survivorep2.8.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

That is him, and his last name is Devens, which is apparently what he'll be called this season.  Why, I don't know.  Again, why is he so special he gets the last name treatment?  I don't like him, either.

Apparently he wanted Jif to call him his full name - Ron Devens - and Jif refused, so I guess they settled on Devens.

It is annoying. It's bad enough I've got "The Warthog" now fixed in my memory, hehehe, and then people call him his actual name, Dan! Don't humanize the Warthog, people!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, violet and green said:

Apparently he wanted Jif to call him his full name - Ron Devens - and Jif refused, so I guess they settled on Devens.

It is annoying. It's bad enough I've got "The Warthog" now fixed in my memory, hehehe, and then people call him his actual name, Dan! Don't humanize the Warthog, people!

Why?!  That settles it.  I hate the guy.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

It is kind of hard to tell where Lauren buried that idol as the scene seemed to bounce back in fort from atleast 2 different locations.  I highly doubt it is buried in a location that is vulnerable to be swept out with that tide.  That is just dumb and I don't think she is a dummy. If I am wrong though and it is uncovered and swept out to sea that would be hilarious and no I doubt production would replace it. As far as someone else finding and taking it unless they have changed the rules that would nit be allowed.  Production would step in and make them put it back.

• Love 5

It looked like a stupid place to bury it.  Plus what usually happens after two or three eliminations?  The tribe swap.  So, having successfully buried her idol at one camp, what if she gets moved to the other one?

Better to put it in her bag.  She must have some article of clothing with a pocket in it.

• Love 1
(edited)
17 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

It looked like a stupid place to bury it.  Plus what usually happens after two or three eliminations?  The tribe swap.  So, having successfully buried her idol at one camp, what if she gets moved to the other one?

Better to put it in her bag.  She must have some article of clothing with a pocket in it.

Production would dig it up and bring it to her if that happened and then she can rebury at her new camp.

Edited by LanceM
23 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

But how exciting would IOE been had Kelley and Reem been out there together, alone?

However, we still don't know if the ousted players end up together on the "edge," or if each person is stranded separately.

• Love 1

Random questions on episode 2 "Idol Chatter"

• How is thoroughly forgettable Kelley Wentworth anyone's Survivor idol?  Parvati, I understand.
  • Why don't people realize that idols aren't out looking for them?
  • Why are we asking God if we are/are not a total wuss?

The least objectionable player so far seems to be the Little Red-Haired Girl, so I will root for her until further notice.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I didn't notice him slacking off in the snake carrying, but that is much worse than him not being able to swim.

I also don't get why he stepped up for ring toss and kept going when he was so bad at it.

That said, I also question why The Warthog DIDN'T step up and do the ring toss.  For such a macho badass, he sure knows how to hide in the background and let others take the blame.

I think when they showed him rolling under the obstacle someone yelled something about grabbing one of the handles of the snake the help instead of just fending for himself.  That was my take of it. And I think he was just as surprised as the rest of us at how bad he was at the ring toss.  I’m assuming other people went too and we didn’t see them.  He was probably pretty tired from all of the water stuff.  He’s just not very athletic.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, violet and green said:

Yes, but that is referring to stealing someone's idol. If you bury it by the sea and it washes back up, you are finding it - not rooting about in someone's personal items for it.

No it isn't.  The rule applies once an idol has been found and claimed.  After that, no matter where that idol is, it belongs to the person that found it.  And they retain ownership of that idol until they transfer possession of it to another person, or they get voted out and the idol becomes null, whichever happens first.

I believe I remember reading something about someone finding a previously found idol and them being told that it had already been claimed.  I want to say that this occurred during Game Changers and JT was the original finder of the idol, but I don't recall who the second person was (Malcolm maybe?)

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I think when they showed him rolling under the obstacle someone yelled something about grabbing one of the handles of the snake the help instead of just fending for himself.  That was my take of it.

I remember being impressed with his rolling moves - but he seemed all about getting himself from point a to point b, under the bamboo, not about pulling that heavy snake - and then also he was just standing there, before, at the bottom of the high enclosure as the others tugged and shoved and lifted and pulled that heavy thing over; that's when someone roused him to actually get involved and help. It wasn't exactly a good example of team spirit, especially after holding them up and needing ferrying to the cane enclosure and then lots of help to climb over it in the first place.

Edited by violet and green
8 hours ago, gesundheit said:

In Keith's defense, I'm 125% certain the producers encouraged his indecisive performance for drama.

The editors deserve some criticism whatever because what we saw at the end looked more comical and annoying than suspenseful. 

8 hours ago, PaperTree said:

After some contemplation (and now knowing the possession rule), she should have just put it back in the tree and covered it with some leaves.

Doing that could give a clue to someone as to where further idols might be found, as unfortunately they are often hid in similar places or ways during a season.

18 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Aubrey annoyed me by saying, "dialogue" when "talk" would have worked just fine,

That grates on me too. And don’t get me started on “conversate”.

16 hours ago, cowgirlwen said:

To me, what would have been better, is if they each would have gotten sent to their own IOE, and were kept completely isolated from other people 

Yeah! I was thinking the same thing while watching.

14 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I would love that but logistically it is not possible. You would have to find the various locations, provide a similar set up (ship hull and sails and flint) with similar levels of coconut production and the like. Plus, part of what is going to be interesting is too see how many people might stay or leave because they are soooooo annoyed with Reem and her mothering.

I don’t know, I think they could set up some basic satellite locations that were not too far away and eventually let them find their way to the main EOE outpost where Reem is. There was a show that did this not too long ago—I forget the name because it was dumb as hell and I stopped watching, but people were dropped off in isolation and part of the game was discovering there were others marooned nearby and pooling resources with them. A variation on that could work here.

But yeah, they’d eventually have to find their way to Reem so the good quality bickering could commence. Especially if Kelley shows up.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I would love that but logistically it is not possible. You would have to find the various locations, provide a similar set up (ship hull and sails and flint) with similar levels of coconut production and the like.

How long have they been in Fiji?  And reusing the same beaches for camps?  They could have been scouting islands and setting this theme up from very early.  It'd be easy enough for them to take pieces of old TC and/or challenge set dressing and various other props and turn them into the rudimentary shelters on a multitude of small islands.  And given that raising flags and banners is a repeated theme in challenges, they've easily got the materials (or the sources for them) to make plenty of Surrender Sails.

And they wouldn't really have to find locations that are too similar, since there'd be staggered starts on each.  The first location (where Reem is) being the most bountiful, and each successive one slightly less so until the last scheduled one, which could be pretty barren.  Plus, there's no guarantee that they'd even need all of them, since there's the possibility of some people opting out.  If there are multiple EoEs, and Keith hypothetically chooses the quitting path, then there'd be an extra one available.

Note:  I'm not saying definitively that there are multiple Edges of Extinction.  I'm saying there could be.  Because TPTB setting up multiples is more possible than it seems at first blush, since they've been in the area for a while and had time to do so during other seasons and in the off-seasons between.  However, I do admit that they're just as likely to do the lazy solution and only have the one EoE.  We'll find out if and when Keith makes his decision in the next episode.

• Love 2
(edited)

as usual I am right and everyone else is wrong

for one thing, everyone's theology is wrong, but what else is new

other things: I am going to go ahead and say there is absolutely no chance that Lauren's idol will wash away on the tide.  If it was a clue, maybe, although Lauren is no Angelina (alas).  And no, it doesn't matter if someone digs it up, steps on it, finds it at the bottom of the sea, it will always be Lauren's idol until she says "I AM GIVING YOU THIS IDOL" to someone else.  Also Kelley Wentworth is absolutely a Survivor legend and it's amazing nobody apparently remembers her when she was surely the star of Second Chances, which was a star-studded cast indeed.  I continue to be grumpy this season, I'm not sure why.

Things nobody is wrong about: this was indeed a boring episode.  Wardog is a terrible nickname and an unappealing character.  Anchor guy should be sent home and his prize money void for demanding that he be called by his full name, and yes it is unfair but his resemblance to Jared Fogle does creep me out.  Everyone in the "should we be looking for idols?" conversation was totally inexcusable, and also I can't help but like the Wendy's mascot girl.  That guy who materialized out of nowhere for this episode was indeed pretty hot, although like other recent Survivor hotties Ken and Michael he's not really my type.  Probst is inserting himself into things way too much this season.  The Aubry montage was pretty funny.

Now on to opinions.  I enjoyed the crazy ending, just as an editing choice, like last episode.  I continue to think none of these returnees should have returned.  Will Joe once again be immune for the entire first two-thirds of the game?  I guess they wanted suspense but I wish they had shown something of Kelley doing something this episode, instead of just cutting to her concerned face every five seconds. 

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:16 PM, Eolivet said:

I'm trying to think if there's a Dan on Survivor I've actually liked. I didn't like Dan last season much, hated Dan from Worlds Apart and now this Dan (a.k.a. Wardog),

There was Dan from Nicaragua of the million-dollar shoes, also terrible, and on looking it up, there was Dan the astronaut from Panama who was allied with Terry Dietz so is also on my shitlist.  And some Dan I literally cannot remember anything whatsoever about from Gabon.  I think Brochacho Dan is actually the best Dan they've ever had, which is pretty sad.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:36 PM, princelina said:

Is that the winter hat?  I can't stand when people wear winter hats in warm climates

And I thought I had arbitrary dislikes!

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:03 AM, HeShallBMySquishy said:

Also, it could be worse. Has anyone on Survivor busted out the "You're taking food out of my child's mouth!" horseshit that houseguests tend to pull on the regular on Big Brother?

I seem to remember the terrible Dawn Meehan acting this way, "but what about my seven adopted children??" or whatever.  Blech!

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:27 AM, EllenB said:

Aubrey is disappointing me by playing hard but badly - her strength used to be subtlety. 

I don't think I would have ever said that.  I feel like she was always kind of a loud goofball on her first season, who was mostly lucky to have Too-Much-Meat Joe on her tribe, giving her a puppet vote at every tribal.  Of course not as loud and goofy as Debbie, so maybe she seemed subtle in comparison.  But anyway on the accursed Game Changers she was all too subtle surrounded by vastly better players and did absolutely nothing but warm a spot on the bench the whole game.

23 hours ago, amazingracefan said:

Why weren't we shown the individual votes at the end of the episode?

It's annoying. Who voted for Wendy?  Who did Wendy vote for?  Was it Keith voted for Kelley, and someone voted for Wendy in case of an idol, or was it Wendy voted for Kelley, Keith voted for Wendy, and everyone voted for Keith?  I feel like this is important information.

22 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

David is a threat, but he is willing to work with Wendy.  I don't think Kelley is.  

Generally speaking, on Survivor, players tend to not want to work with people whose plan is to vote them out.  Maybe Kim Spradlin could walk up to someone and say, "Hey I'm thinking let's vote you out tonight," and the person would say, "Yes, Kim, I'm in, let's do it" but Wendy is no Kim Spradlin, I doubt she could make that one work.

18 hours ago, Special K said:

I was cackling with glee in my living room at the thought that they were going to send Kelley Wentworth to IoE, only to find Reem there.  Survivor bitches, why do you deny me!? 

I honestly think you guys would have all been disappointed anyway -- I think Reem and Kelley would have been fast friends within two days on the EDGE OF EXTINCTION.  There was no reason for them to dislike each other.  There was nothing personal in either of their votes, not even the "how dare you dry my clothes" stuff that other people said;2 Kelley never talked about it.  Certainly Reem wasn't voting for Kelley because she disliked her as a person.  I feel like they're pretty similar people, honestly.  They would have no reason to fight or do anything except work really hard to make shelter and feed each other and not even worry about votes at all.  Once you're out of the game bygones tend to be bygones.  Why on earth would they make themselves miserable?  Even with the elmination duels going on, Redemption Island was a lovefest with Ozzy there, I don't see why the EDGE OF EXTINCTION would be different.  My guess is, if Reem and Kelley end up on THE EDGE together for any length of time, they are going to bond, not fight.

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 9

What if someone finds Lauren's idol peeking out of the sand, thinks they're the first to find it, tells no one, and then plays it at a crucial TC?  Will Jeff say, sorry this belongs to Lauren?  Does the camera man say it's been claimed when they first pick it up?  Isn't that interfering in the game?  What if someone finds Lauren's idol, knows it is Lauren's and hides it somewhere else or "accidentally" kicks it in the ocean?  Why are Lauren's legs so long?  Is that fair?

• LOL 5
11 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

What if someone finds Lauren's idol peeking out of the sand, thinks they're the first to find it, tells no one, and then plays it at a crucial TC?  Will Jeff say, sorry this belongs to Lauren?  Does the camera man say it's been claimed when they first pick it up?  Isn't that interfering in the game?  What if someone finds Lauren's idol, knows it is Lauren's and hides it somewhere else or "accidentally" kicks it in the ocean?  Why are Lauren's legs so long?  Is that fair?

There is a cameraman for each player, with them all the time when they are off alone. Which is how you find an idol... if you’re close, watch where the cameraman is focused. I cannot remember the guy’s name, but there was some kind of clue or something on a wooden box and the camera was looking at it for the longest time. He still didn’t get a clue.

• Love 2

Two things.  First, I don't remember his name (I don't know most of the names yet) but someone commented that he likes David because they share the same goals.  Um, no.  David's goal is to win.  I don't think that is your goal.

Second, does anyone else cringe when idol hunters stick their hands into holes and between rocks?  I'm surprised no one had been bitten by a snake.

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Does the camera man say it's been claimed when they first pick it up? 

This.

2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

What if someone finds Lauren's idol, knows it is Lauren's and hides it somewhere else or "accidentally" kicks it in the ocean?

TPTB will either retrieve the idol from the new hiding place and return it to Lauren, or give Lauren a new idol if it is lost.  The latter happened before back in One World.

Edited by SVNBob
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, blackwing said:

Keith's "oh my God.  Help me.  I need a sign" over and over.  Uber irritating.  Should it really be a choice?  Just go stage right and quit already.

He didn't really need a sign because there were two right in front of him.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, SVNBob said:

How long have they been in Fiji?  And reusing the same beaches for camps?  They could have been scouting islands and setting this theme up from very early.  It'd be easy enough for them to take pieces of old TC and/or challenge set dressing and various other props and turn them into the rudimentary shelters on a multitude of small islands.  And given that raising flags and banners is a repeated theme in challenges, they've easily got the materials (or the sources for them) to make plenty of Surrender Sails.

And they wouldn't really have to find locations that are too similar, since there'd be staggered starts on each.  The first location (where Reem is) being the most bountiful, and each successive one slightly less so until the last scheduled one, which could be pretty barren.  Plus, there's no guarantee that they'd even need all of them, since there's the possibility of some people opting out.  If there are multiple EoEs, and Keith hypothetically chooses the quitting path, then there'd be an extra one available.

Note:  I'm not saying definitively that there are multiple Edges of Extinction.  I'm saying there could be.  Because TPTB setting up multiples is more possible than it seems at first blush, since they've been in the area for a while and had time to do so during other seasons and in the off-seasons between.  However, I do admit that they're just as likely to do the lazy solution and only have the one EoE.  We'll find out if and when Keith makes his decision in the next episode.

I don't think having individual EOEs would be practical or good television.  I'd much rather see people work together, fight or otherwise interact than watch clips of people sitting, suffering and complaining, by themselves.   

• Love 1