Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E14: The Forsaken

preeya
  • Start Topic

Sharpe struggles when a case hits too close to home and Iggy uncovers a patient's surprising past. Meanwhile, Floyd makes progress in his personal life after some difficult news.

Edited by preeya

So, tonight, we discover that Max, as medical director of the hospital, is automatically on the hospital's board of trustees but he has never bothered to attend a meeting and doesn't actually even know any of them except for the dean?  And, yet, he is supposed to be doing a fabulous job?  Then, when he finds out that the only administrator he actually knows is in danger of losing his job; he cooks up a plan for the guy to fake a heart attack, wasting thousands of dollars of hospital resources in the process; all in hopes that this will somehow guilt the board into saving the Dean's job?  And, once again, Max is touted as an amazing administrator, completely turning around the hospital and providing terrific patient care while increasing the hospital's income.  Tell me another fairy tale, Mother Goose.  And, anyone who thinks a bagel and lox can be pureed well enough to be drunk through a straw is drinking something far more potent than a smoothie.

Then, we have Helen deciding that she is entitled to keep the baby in the bag because, apparently, 'finders keepers losers weepers' applies to babies, too. Max, being an expert in newborns and narcotic addiction, decides that the reason the baby isn't doing well is because she hasn't had skin to skin contact with any random stranger and Helen decides that her own patients are unimportant and volunteers to spend her day holding the baby and even giving the kid a name rather than do her actual job. Max gives his blessing because this is the sort of leadership he provides. Meanwhile, no one tells Helen about how babies are actually offered for adoption and that social services would've been required to attempt to locate the father before anyone else would be allowed to adopt her. And that there would be a line a mile long ahead of her of people waiting to adopt a newborn.  Very impressive ignorance on her part.  And how conveeeenient! that the baby's father decided it was just fabulous that a stranger who had never laid eyes on his daughter until a few hours earlier should be allowed to name the kid and he was thrilled with the foreign name she chose even though he had no idea what it meant.

As for druggie Mama, did I miss something?  Apparently,she delivered the kid by herself in the park or something. If so, why was the baby all clean and wrapped in clean blankets and wearing a cute little hat? I didn't realize that addicts were so devoted to infant care and had access to darling layettes for their babies. The only explanation for the baby's withdrawal symptoms was that she was born outside of the hospital and had had no medical care.  Otherwise, she would've been withdrawing for weeks and weeks in the NICU and probably placed on methadone and not discharged home with her addicted mom.  If the baby wasn't born addicted, then she wouldn't have been in withdrawal.  And, she couldn't have been withdrawing for long or she would've been dead.

Edited by doodlebug
  • LOL 4
  • Love 8
15 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

As for druggie Mama, did I miss something

I ask myself that a lot with this show. Did I miss when Reynolds and Bloom became such good friends that he felt entitled to know why she wasn't at work when he found out she wasn't on the schedule for two (four) weeks or that this hospital, after everyone simply saying she was on vacation, is allowed to tell a fellow doctor that a co-worker is in rehab and not only tell him that but tell him what facility she is in so he can go visit her for the sole purpose of making himself feel better that he didn't know anything was wrong with her in the first place. Last week we heard that multiple doctors had voiced complaints about Bloom so Reynolds must not be a good or even decent friend to her at all if he didn't hear any of this before now.

Also, that must be a drive-through rehab if it only lasts two (or four) weeks.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I ask myself that a lot with this show. Did I miss when Reynolds and Bloom became such good friends that he felt entitled to know why she wasn't at work when he found out she wasn't on the schedule for two (four) weeks or that this hospital, after everyone simply saying she was on vacation, is allowed to tell a fellow doctor that a co-worker is in rehab and not only tell him that but tell him what facility she is in so he can go visit her for the sole purpose of making himself feel better that he didn't know anything was wrong with her in the first place. Last week we heard that multiple doctors had voiced complaints about Bloom so Reynolds must not be a good or even decent friend to her at all if he didn't hear any of this before now.

Also, that must be a drive-through rehab if it only lasts two (or four) weeks.

IIRC, when this show started they were a couple. So it's likely it was guilt he felt, that he really didn't know her situation.

• Love 6

Kapoor went too far.  It might take more than 10 minutes to do a proper consult, but ERs are already swamped with patients, so I can't blame New doc for trying to streamline things.  Kapoor didn't need to spend all that time listening to the woman complain about her in-laws once he figured out the diagnosis.

Has Sharpe said in the past that she wanted a baby?  I knew someone would show up to claim the baby, whether it was the girl, the father, or some other relative.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Then, we have Helen deciding that she is entitled to keep the baby in the bag because, apparently, 'finders keepers losers weepers' applies to babies, too. Max, being an expert in newborns and narcotic addiction, decides that the reason the baby isn't doing well is because she hasn't had skin to skin contact with any random stranger and Helen decides that her own patients are unimportant and volunteers to spend her day holding the baby and even giving the kid a name rather than do her actual job. 

Or even draw a curtain in the room while giving "skin to skin contact".

• Love 2

Maybe Helen had the day off so she volunteered to do the skin-to-skin.

I think they did the thing with Kapoor because they needed to have some comic relief in this episode - and it worked, I liked Kapoor just asking the patient stuff - it actually reminded me of a neurologist I had - he would spend 45-60 minutes with me (and all of his patients) every single appointment - we'd just talk, and he'd get me to do those standard neurological tests while we were just conversing, to get a more natural read on my functioning - so I wouldn't be focused on doing my best on the test and skewing it.

1 hour ago, Brookside said:

All I could see was foreskin. 

oh thank god it wasn't just me

• Love 1
9 hours ago, doodlebug said:

So, tonight, we discover that Max, as medical director of the hospital, is automatically on the hospital's board of trustees but he has never bothered to attend a meeting and doesn't actually even know any of them except for the dean?  And, yet, he is supposed to be doing a fabulous job?  Then, when he finds out that the only administrator he actually knows is in danger of losing his job; he cooks up a plan for the guy to fake a heart attack, wasting thousands of dollars of hospital resources in the process; all in hopes that this will somehow guilt the board into saving the Dean's job?  And, once again, Max is touted as an amazing administrator, completely turning around the hospital and providing terrific patient care while increasing the hospital's income.  Tell me another fairy tale, Mother Goose.  And, anyone who thinks a bagel and lox can be pureed well enough to be drunk through a straw is drinking something far more potent than a smoothie.

Then, we have Helen deciding that she is entitled to keep the baby in the bag because, apparently, 'finders keepers losers weepers' applies to babies, too. Max, being an expert in newborns and narcotic addiction, decides that the reason the baby isn't doing well is because she hasn't had skin to skin contact with any random stranger and Helen decides that her own patients are unimportant and volunteers to spend her day holding the baby and even giving the kid a name rather than do her actual job. Max gives his blessing because this is the sort of leadership he provides. Meanwhile, no one tells Helen about how babies are actually offered for adoption and that social services would've been required to attempt to locate the father before anyone else would be allowed to adopt her. And that there would be a line a mile long ahead of her of people waiting to adopt a newborn.  Very impressive ignorance on her part.  And how conveeeenient! that the baby's father decided it was just fabulous that a stranger who had never laid eyes on his daughter until a few hours earlier should be allowed to name the kid and he was thrilled with the foreign name she chose even though he had no idea what it meant.

As for druggie Mama, did I miss something?  Apparently,she delivered the kid by herself in the park or something. If so, why was the baby all clean and wrapped in clean blankets and wearing a cute little hat? I didn't realize that addicts were so devoted to infant care and had access to darling layettes for their babies. The only explanation for the baby's withdrawal symptoms was that she was born outside of the hospital and had had no medical care.  Otherwise, she would've been withdrawing for weeks and weeks in the NICU and probably placed on methadone and not discharged home with her addicted mom.  If the baby wasn't born addicted, then she wouldn't have been in withdrawal.  And, she couldn't have been withdrawing for long or she would've been dead.

Perfect summary of my thoughts and feelings,  thanks.

I too misread the word as foreskin.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, preeya said:

IIRC, when this show started they were a couple. So it's likely it was guilt he felt, that he really didn't know her situation.

They weren't so much a couple as they were friends with benefits.  As I recall, she wanted a real relationship and he told her he wouldn't consider marrying a white woman which is why she introduced him to his current squeeze.  I work in a big hospital system and, believe me, when something like this happens with a colleague, there is plenty of speculation/suspicion and the administration is very quick to warn everyone about HIPPAA and remind them that violations of the policy result in immediate termination.  It gets everyone to shut up about it on the job, at least.  A few years back, a very popular colleague went through some troubles and attempted suicide.  Within hours, everyone got an email from TPTB reminding them that HIPPAA exists for a reason and that his medical condition was not a subject for speculation or discussion.  However, we've seen what a crummy administrator Max is, so it's not surprising he didn't bother to protect her privacy.

7 hours ago, Brookside said:

All I could see was foreskin. 

Me too!  When I first saw it, I thought maybe Max, the non-practicing Jew, was considering a bris.  I figured it was just me who saw it because of my former life as an OB who performed literally thousands of said procedure.  The egregious spelling error just confirms that those associated with this show really do not give a dam* about accuracy or quality.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, bros402 said:

Maybe Helen had the day off so she volunteered to do the skin-to-skin.

If it was her day off, why was she on her way to the hospital in the first place?  Why was she wearing a white coat in some of her scenes?  So many questions, so little sense.

• Love 1

Floyd and Bloom weren't a couple - they were f*ck buddies. I think in the first episode, or perhaps the second, Bloom told him she wanted it to become an actual relationship and Floyd declined, explaining that it was because she was white (I'm really over-simplifying). So that was the end of their screwing around. I don't think her Adderall abuse sprang specifically from that situation, but it sure didn't help. I think that episode Bloom had with Iggy really showcased the root of her problems, namely, her awful childhood and her sister's slide into addiction. The stuff with Floyd was an added layer of unhappiness. [Oops, I see this has already been mentioned.]

So at the end, when Helen's new BF showed her a picture of what I presume are his children, was that a good thing? I mean, yes, good, he said he loves kids, but I got the feeling Helen didn't know he had kids and/or  maybe was/is married? Something seemed wrong there.

I can't even with Max. I guess it was "good" that his illness/treatment were acknowledged but everything else with him was nonsense. And that stinks because I do like him on some level, as well as the actor, but his way of working seems absurd. That's all I can say about that because it's already been well established by other posters how preposterous the whole set up is.

I've gone to the ER more times than I would like to admit, as I'm sure many others here have as well, and never ONCE was ANY doctor, nurse, or technician EVER told to stop dealing with me because their "time" was up. When that interim director pulled back the curtain and literally tapped her watch to let Kapoor know to move on, my mouth fell open. Really???? That was horrifying!

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Biggie B said:

So at the end, when Helen's new BF showed her a picture of what I presume are his children, was that a good thing? I mean, yes, good, he said he loves kids, but I got the feeling Helen didn't know he had kids and/or  maybe was/is married? Something seemed wrong there.

I think that they'd only gone out a couple of times at that point, so I could see him not necessarily bringing up the subject; although it does make you wonder what it is they talked about on their previous encounters.  When a couple of thirtysomethings get together, it is generally assumed that they've had past relationships and maybe kids and it does usually get mentioned as part of the 'getting to know you' phase.  However, if the show wants us to think that Helen's babylust is going to go away because her new boyfriend has a couple of school aged kids, they're delusional.  I expect we're going to find out that the new guy doesn't want more kids and has had a vasectomy and that is going to be the potential dealbreaker for them.  I've actually had a couple of professional women friends who faced similar situations.  One married the guy anyway (and has been very happy with him and loves his kids); the other walked away (and married someone else and had kids with him and also seems satisfied with her decisions).

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Biggie B said:

I've gone to the ER more times than I would like to admit, as I'm sure many others here have as well, and never ONCE was ANY doctor, nurse, or technician EVER told to stop dealing with me because their "time" was up. When that interim director pulled back the curtain and literally tapped her watch to let Kapoor know to move on, my mouth fell open. Really???? That was horrifying!

There is no way that an attending would do that to an attending.  You just don't do that to a colleague.

The ER doc might have done that to a resident.  The residents would have all hated her, but I've had attendings who were like that.  

21 hours ago, preeya said:

Sleeping together does not make two people a couple. That was the problem, she wanted to be a couple and he did not....he wanted someone he could "take home to mother."  So now he is in love?

• Love 1
17 hours ago, doodlebug said:

If it was her day off, why was she on her way to the hospital in the first place?  Why was she wearing a white coat in some of her scenes?  So many questions, so little sense.

shhhhh, just accept the explanation, it will make the brain hurt less 😛

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I had trouble deciphering the Mohinder and cancer doc (don’t remember her name) and their last scene as well. Yes he already had kids and yes that can be damaging when introduced too early in a new relationship. But was he saying hey you don’t need babies, I already have bigger ones? Or was it more hey, I love kids, already got a couple, ready for more! And was she like more oh shoot I don’t want big ones or whew, skip the difficulties of being pregnant and finding a donor and potty training etc and go straight to the other stuff? Curious also if Mohinder is a widow or divorcee or never married? And if they are going out of town for recreational events, does the ex or his family keep them? So many questions. 

I also wonder if new love interest for Floyd was having second thoughts when she figured out he was going to see Bloom and breaking off their date for it. And he didn’t get to Bloom until the next day, doesn’t he have to go to work or is on vacation too? Gah. 

• Love 1

I took that scene as she was grown up enough and secure enough that she trusted him to go do what he needs to do. Hopefully the writers/show runners have read comments about the lack of chemistry between Bloom and Floyd, as well as Max and is wife...and now Helen and whomever he is...and will make some corrections before the next season. All of couples suck. 

• Love 4

I liked the idea of an organized, efficient doctor running the ER, but even she had to realize there are going to be patients who require more than a 10 minute assessment.  I'm not saying Kapoor's method was of essentially turning into this woman's therapist was the way to handle things either, but I wanted to tell interim ER doctor that her system was going to end with a lawsuit when someone's rushed diagnosis turns out to be wrong. 

• Love 8
46 minutes ago, SweetTooth said:

The scene went like this:

I know we've only been seeing each other for five minutes, but I WANTS TO HAVE A BAYBEE, and I need to know if you like kids.

And he's like, "Well, there's something I should tell you," showed her his kids, and confirmed that yes, he indeed loves kids.

So I absolutely don't think he was trying to say that he already had a couple for her, so she didn't need to have any more, but more like a confession and a "It's totally cool" rolled into one.

I think her side of the scene was more "I am getting up there in years, I want to have kids. Let's cut through the BS, do you want to have kids: y/n please circle 1"

Then he was like "oh yeah i was trying to figure out how to tell you but I had kids, look at them, aren't they adorable? i love kids, let's make babies"

Edited by bros402
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, bros402 said:

I think her side of the scene was more "I am getting up there in years, I want to have kids. Let's cut through the BS, do you want to have kids: y/n please circle 1"

Then he was like "oh yeah i was trying to figure out how to tell you but I had kids, look at them, aren't they adorable? i love kids, let's make babies"

I think he showed her the photo and his next comment is going to be: "Look, I have two great kids whom I love dearly, but I'm sorry, I can't do the whole diapers, sleepless nights, potty training, etc, etc, again."

• Love 1

That particular scene was an interesting one. At first, as he was going through his spiel and showing Helen the picture of his kids, I thought we'd see her face and some kind of expression of happiness and relief that the guy wasn't opposed to having kids. When we actually saw her face, though, she certainly didn't look happy, and though there was some surprise mixed in, it seemed like her expression was mostly one of dismay. 

I don't know if it was because he'd hidden something so huge from her (regardless of the fact that they haven't been together long) or because she assumed he was happy with the kids he already has and doesn't want more. Either way, she did not look like a happy camper to me.

• Love 2

Dear GOD, why do I allow my brain cells to die each week by watching this show? 

Let's not even go into the seriously (and legally) horrid lack of privacy amongst doctors, patients and staff here. A guy tries suicide and you blab to everyone exactly what he did? Legally, I thought only the staff treating him and his family could hear this information? 

And apparently it's okay for everyone to hear about Bloom's drug addiction - and somehow Floyd finds out where she's in rehab and visits her without asking? UGH.

Oh, and Goodwin is going through this horrible treatment and yet he looks like that? No hair loss. No weight loss. No pallor. Oh, but he's wearing comfy Crocs and complains a lot about how much this chemo and radiation is kicking his ass. Otherwise, he looks like he stepped out of a magazine. 

Then we have Dr Kapoor spending hours chatting with someone in the ER to magically come up with a diagnosis?

And our two head honchos, Goodwin and Sloan Dean Fulton fake a heart attack to try and manipulate the board into letting him keep his job. WTF. 

Dr Sharpe, a tragically gifted yet childless doctor, believes for one hot second that she would be able to snap her fingers & adopt this baby? And then the father shows up...who the hell called him? He didn't even know he was a father and we have no evidence the baby had a birth certificate where he was listed, and the mother gave the child away (instead of calling him). So I guess the baby fairies called him?

And finally, we have this asshole Mohinder (seriously, I have no clue what his name is on this show) who lies to Sharpe about having two children - because he "has to be sure." Sure of what?! That has to be the most idiotic things I've heard this week. So what, you can't tell her at the beginning of your ADULT relationship because she might hate kids and you want to be a jackass and tell her after she has feelings for you, instead? You thought she was a pedophile and you had to be sure she wasn't? Seriously? What did you have to be sure of?

If Dr Sharpe does anything other than run the hell away from this asshat, I will abandon this show completely. The only reason it's hanging on is for her character and because I like Eggold.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Lunula said:

Dear GOD, why do I allow my brain cells to die each week by watching this show? 

Let's not even go into the seriously (and legally) horrid lack of privacy amongst doctors, patients and staff here. A guy tries suicide and you blab to everyone exactly what he did? Legally, I thought only the staff treating him and his family could hear this information? 

And apparently it's okay for everyone to hear about Bloom's drug addiction - and somehow Floyd finds out where she's in rehab and visits her without asking? UGH.

Oh, and Goodwin is going through this horrible treatment and yet he looks like that? No hair loss. No weight loss. No pallor. Oh, but he's wearing comfy Crocs and complains a lot about how much this chemo and radiation is kicking his ass. Otherwise, he looks like he stepped out of a magazine. 

It's a fun hate watch.

Also, Goodwin might not be far into chemo - it can take a little while before hair loss starts - or his chemo might not cause hair loss - the regimen I was on didn't cause hair loss.

On 2/27/2019 at 9:12 AM, Lunula said:

Then we have Dr Kapoor spending hours chatting with someone in the ER to magically come up with a diagnosis?

And our two head honchos, Goodwin and Sloan Dean Fulton fake a heart attack to try and manipulate the board into letting him keep his job. WTF. 

I can sacrifice some realism for entertainment, but these two stories really insulted the viewers. Dr. Kapoor was completely inefficient and irresponsible with his time, and yet there was the show trying to tell us that his way was the correct way. And faking a heart attack is just beyond reprehensible.

Then all of those other crappy stories you listed made me realize that this show has an almost perfect record of implausible or illogical stories. I wanted another ER, and instead I got this garbage that I am now hate-watching.

And still, after 14 episodes, no one has died in this hospital. Death is key to a medical drama or else you might as well be filming a bunch of accountants filling in spreadsheets.

Edited by Superpole2000