Type keyword(s) to search

Worst Cooks In America - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 7:18 AM, Brookside said:

Thanks.  Judging by what some of the guesses were in last week's (?) challenge - taste, smell, etc, most of the people on the show have zero palette!  I know this has been discussed before, but I wish the show wouldn't be so coy about the fact that the contestants obviously get coaching/practice behind the scenes.  MasterChef is the same.

Sorry to quote myself, but with the site changes I can't seem to edit my old post.

Anyway, I meant palate, not palette.  They may think they're artists, but they're currently on a cooking show.

• LOL 2
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:23 AM, Hellga said:

I know that there can be differences within the US even with supposedly live events - 

I live on the West Coast and can't abide it when they show things like the New Year ball drop from New York and tout it as live.  It happened three hours ago, morons.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, mlp said:

My favorite all along has been Mickey and still is but I'm surprised to find that I really like Bret.  He's pretty much the exact opposite of everything I usually like in a man but there's something about him...................... He seems like a nice guy despite his formidable appearance.  

I think what I like most about Brett is that he doesn't seem to take himself too seriously.  

I think he is a nice guy... and he, Carmelle and Mickey are probably the most genuine people on this show in quite a while. 

• Love 4

Based on today's showing, I think Carmelle will go home.  She hasn't learned about balancing flavors and gave in to her "habit" of putting cayenne into everything.

Harder to predict the blue team.  Mickey or Brittany, I think Travele is safe.

Tough how someone can do great for weeks and then have an off day and go home, especially on a baking challenge which just is not where some people shine.

Tough how someone can do great for weeks and then have an off day and go home, especially on a baking challenge which just is not where some people shine.

great ending. Thumbs up

Ah, it's one of those weeks when no one is going home.  I think it is a good decision.  

And a pie in 90 minutes is brutal, and for the first time... wow.  I am surprised they did not let dough rest in the fridge or let the pie cool down.  What's the reason for the hurry if we are not seeing it live anyway?  

• Love 4

The surprise "no one goes home twist!" usually bothers me, but I would have been annoyed on behalf of Brett/Carmelle if either of them had gone home when the team winner of the week put sprinkles all over their churros and their pink sauce. 

• Love 4

I was pretty sure they weren't going to send anyone home and I was happy that they didn't.  They do that once every season and this seemed like the week for it.  Before the show started, I was hoping we'd see the last of the two silly girls this week but by the end I was worried about Brett and Mickey neither of whom did anything really egregious (like sprinkles on candy melts).  

I like Carmelle but I can't picture her handling the final meal.  I'm hoping the final two will be Mickey and Brett.

• Love 1

Strawberry rhubarb pie is my personal favorite, but yes, it was an unexpected choice for one of the Worst Cooks. 

I have never had a tomato pie and I can't really imagine what it tastes like.  I don't think I have ever seen it anywhere... is it a regional thing? 

I think it's an eastern or Italian thing, ha! That makes no sense. I first heard about it on Laura In The Kitchen on yt. So I've used her recipe & another one but I can't remember whose. Food wishes maybe? 

I love rhubarb too.

7 hours ago, Hellga said:

Strawberry rhubarb pie is my personal favorite, but yes, it was an unexpected choice for one of the Worst Cooks. 

I love it too.

Maybe Brittany is like other "Worst Cooks" they've had - can't cook, but have been exposed to good food either through others' cooking or eating out.  I seem to remember a few weeks ago she put together a fairly interesting (and healthy) salad.  Still can't abide her horrendous, presumably very producer driven, Talking Heads.

I just need to vent. The one thing, above all else, that annoys me about this show is the talking heads. And not that they exist, but that they were clearly all taped at one time as the contestants are all wearing the same outfits in each one regardless of the episode. So I don't think Brittany is particularly as vapid as we see in the THs, she was just playing a character that day. And I only say that because in some of the demonstration segments I've noticed that when she's not the focal point she seems to really be paying attention and maybe she really *does* want to learn to cook, not (only) get noticed. 

There aren't any remaining contestants I hate...I'm still annoyed that Brett mentions because Arnold Schwarzenegger's body double BECAUSE in that particular movie, Arnold was *at least* 68 years old -- it wasn't Mr. Universe Schwarzenegger!!

• LOL 1
15 hours ago, LexieLily said:

The surprise "no one goes home twist!" usually bothers me, but I would have been annoyed on behalf of Brett/Carmelle if either of them had gone home when the team winner of the week put sprinkles all over their churros and their pink sauce. 

No kidding. Allison really annoys me for some reason. Her overbite annoys me, her ineptitude annoys me, her sprinkles on candy melts annoyed me...

• Love 6

I went online before I actually saw the episode to look at recipes for tomato pie, and it looks more like a pizza-quiche thing, which sounds pretty good. 

Then I watched the episode, and it looked like a regular pie crust with tomatoes in it, which, to me at least, sounds totally disgusting. 

2 hours ago, Superclam said:

I went online before I actually saw the episode to look at recipes for tomato pie, and it looks more like a pizza-quiche thing, which sounds pretty good. 

Then I watched the episode, and it looked like a regular pie crust with tomatoes in it, which, to me at least, sounds totally disgusting. 

I've seen recipes for tomato tarte tatin before (for example: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017616-caramelized-tomato-tarte-tatin), so that's what I thought of, but I agree, the idea of a regular double-crusted pie filled with tomatoes sounds really unappealing.

I love rhubarb pie - I asked for it every year as a child for my birthday - but I've have never understood why people add strawberries to it - I don't really care for the taste of cooked strawberries. All rhubarb needs is some sugar and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.) & a little thickener of some kind (I use tapioca). 

• Love 1

I love tomato pie. My grandmother always made tomato with pimento cheese pie in the summer which I continue to do plus other variations.

That was the greenest rhubarb I have ever seen. I rewound because I wasn’t paying close attention and at first I thought it was celery.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:50 AM, Brookside said:

I love it too.

Maybe Brittany is like other "Worst Cooks" they've had - can't cook, but have been exposed to good food either through others' cooking or eating out.  I seem to remember a few weeks ago she put together a fairly interesting (and healthy) salad.  Still can't abide her horrendous, presumably very producer driven, Talking Heads.

There's more than a few hinky things this season. Did you watch Brittany slice with her knife. Classic knife skills. No way she's a "worst" cook.

• Love 3

Carmelle started to irritate me and she seems to be a one-trick pony, so I can't say I will miss her.  I just can't believe Allison was on the top again, she is so scatter-brained I just want to kick her.  Go Brett!!!  I feel if he didn't irritate Anne with a mess on his station all the time, he would absolutely win.  He seems to get flavors...

Mickey was the weakest cook on the blue team so I was not surprised to see him go home, but at least he was non-irritating.  I am surprised but I think I am starting to like Brittany more than Travele on the blue team, although neither grates on my nerves as much as Allison does. 

I usually root for Anne over Tyler, but if Anne picks Allison, I will absolutely root for Tyler and whomever he chooses! 

P.S.  The mystery of Terry's gender has been solved.  Travele referred to Terry as "him" and "guy".

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 3

I wonder if they ask the recruits before the season starts what they normally eat and what they would like to learn to make, and this is how they make their choices. 

In the beginning they do stick to simple dishes - but now these are the guys who will be cooking a "restaurant-quality meal" in a professional kitchen under a time limit.  No way someone can do that if all they have learned to do is pancakes, a soup and basic meat and potatoes.   And it can be boring to watch if all they demo is basic dishes.  I love split pea soup - but would I care to watch someone learning to make it?  

Plus, learning to cook for me is about learning techniques - and maybe if someone has been a boring eater in addition to being a bad cook expanding their understanding of flavors.  It's not about specific recipes or dishes.  And they tend to cover a good range of techniques and flavors every season...  then participants can apply these to make whatever they want.  Most everyday quick things are easy to cook from a recipe (or without any recipes at all) once you understand the techniques and flavors.  I would much rather see them learn those than be trained on a few specific recipes.  That's like giving them a fishing rod instead of a few fish. 

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 1

You make some very good points, Hellga, and I can't disagree.  However, I do wish they would start like they used to in the first couple seasons and do skill drills and so on rather than throwing them in at the deep end.  I'm just an average home cook and I doubt I could pull off some of those things in 45 minutes or an hour if I'd never made them before.

I figured Mickey was doomed when he put the wrong amount of broth into his pressure cooker and editing called attention to it but I was hoping that would turn out to be a red herring.  I really liked him and I was sorry to see him go.  Both of those young women drive me nuts for different reasons and I don't think Travele has what it takes to make the final dinner.  I like Brett and I hope he wins.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, mlp said:

I'm just an average home cook and I doubt I could pull off some of those things in 45 minutes or an hour if I'd never made them before.

I think they must get quite a bit of behind the scenes coaching - other posters noted the knife skills... and those take time and practice.  I wouldn't bet my money that the time we see them cook is in fact the first time they are making it.  They all were doing pretty well on the dough lattice too - and I remember what a disaster I had the first time I tried to do it, in large part because I didn't pre-plan it.  I would bet they practiced, even if with ribbons instead of dough (though most likely with dough).

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 1

I think they must get quite a bit of behind the scenes coaching.................

I'm sure that's true.  In fact, I remember reading a couple interviews with people who had been on the early seasons who said they got quite a bit of instruction behind the scenes.  I always think that's what contestants going home are referring to when they say how much they've learned.  Still, the show would be more believable if they started out with some basics.  I suppose they don't really care because they probably know viewers regard this show as comedy/entertainment more than an actual cooking show.  

• Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:58 PM, Hellga said:

I wonder if they ask the recruits before the season starts what they normally eat and what they would like to learn to make, and this is how they make their choices. 

In the beginning they do stick to simple dishes - but now these are the guys who will be cooking a "restaurant-quality meal" in a professional kitchen under a time limit.  No way someone can do that if all they have learned to do is pancakes, a soup and basic meat and potatoes.   And it can be boring to watch if all they demo is basic dishes.  I love split pea soup - but would I care to watch someone learning to make it?  

Plus, learning to cook for me is about learning techniques - and maybe if someone has been a boring eater in addition to being a bad cook expanding their understanding of flavors.  It's not about specific recipes or dishes.  And they tend to cover a good range of techniques and flavors every season...  then participants can apply these to make whatever they want.  Most everyday quick things are easy to cook from a recipe (or without any recipes at all) once you understand the techniques and flavors.  I would much rather see them learn those than be trained on a few specific recipes.  That's like giving them a fishing rod instead of a few fish. 

They used to do this. Now they're just showing them a dish, & saying replicate it or do your own version. How can they do their own version, when you really didn't tell the the "why" of what you added, why you cook it that way, etc. etc. Plus, while cooking should be fun, what they do for the 1st round is ridiculous to watch. It used to be straight forward, tech skills.  Even Tyler has become a cartoon.

• Love 1
On 2/19/2019 at 9:28 AM, luvapickle said:

They used to do this. Now they're just showing them a dish, & saying replicate it or do your own version. How can they do their own version, when you really didn't tell the the "why" of what you added, why you cook it that way, etc. etc. Plus, while cooking should be fun, what they do for the 1st round is ridiculous to watch. It used to be straight forward, tech skills.  Even Tyler has become a cartoon.

We are not seeing it, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  Now they don't even show the complete demo, I don't think we have seen more than half the steps to any dish this season, so we are definitely not seeing the actual teaching moments. 

I agree it has become very different than the early seasons, and I am actually starting wonder whether I want to continue watching future seasons or not. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Hellga said:

We are not seeing it, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  Now they don't even show the complete demo, I don't think we have seen more than half the steps to any dish this season, so we are definitely not seeing the actual teaching moments. 

I agree it has become very different than the early seasons, and I am actually starting wonder whether I want to continue watching future seasons or not. 

Oh, I know a lot of it is in the editing. But for me they're making what was an interesting show into a complete goofball. 

• Love 1

That I agree with completely.  I liked both the format of the show and the people they selected for it better in the early seasons, when it was more about cooking and less about "entertainment".

• Love 4

Yuck.  Allsion is Anne's chosen champion.  I hope the wheels come off the wagon and she crashes and burns during the actual finale.   I will be rooting for Tyler and Brittany.  I liked Travele too, but I think the last couple weeks they were neck and neck and Tyler was very even handed in his approach the last two episodes, so I will trust his judgement.

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, Hellga said:

Anne's blatant favoritism is grating.  She obviously wants Allison to win when Brett has been a better cook all season long.

There was significant difference in Anne's responses/reactions to Brett and Allison's main cook dishes, for sure.

It pissed me off on Brett's behalf when Brett correctly identified it as crushed red pepper in the Remote Control Chef game, Allison said differently so Anne got that component wrong, and Anne only said "I didn't believe you" to Brett. 

Allison's meltdown in the main cook seemed mostly if not at least somewhat aggravated by Anne and proved to me that having Anne as a teacher/mentor would stress me out.

Hazel learned nothing from her time in bootcamp, so we see. She was nothing but a line chef for Anne in the demo. 

The way Brett called Allison Mama Bear the entire show was oddly endearing.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

It pissed me off on Brett's behalf when Brett correctly identified it as crushed red pepper in the Remote Control Chef game, Allison said differently so Anne got that component wrong, and only said "I didn't believe you" to Brett. 

That immediately told me she is going to choose Allison unless she completely fails in the main dish.  That was unprofessional and sealed the deal for me. 

Hard to say about Hazel...  I can't necessarily replicate something I made once a long time ago.  Unless it's something that's part of my regular rotation, I have to peek at my notes or the recipe to make sure I am doing what I am supposed to.  And the only reason I am particular about what I use to stir is I don't want to scratch my cookware!

• Love 1

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought Anne was biased toward her female contestant.  I thought Brett was doing a lot better all along but I wasn't sure if I thought that just because I like him and think Allison is a flake.  I liked Travele too but it was clear he wasn't going to make the cut.  I haven't been able to stand Brittany all along so now two of my least favorite "cooks" will be in the finale.  I hope Allison wins now.  I guess.

• Love 6

I'm really peeved that Anne didn't choose Brett and the blatant favoritism she showed throughout the show towards Allison. The way she was going on and on and on continuously about how she needed to win for her family and kids didn't endear her to me. I was sick of her whining about it by the end of the episode and was more annoyed than happy for her. Allison and Brittany both seem kinda flaky so at this point I'm not sure who I want to win. I wonder if Anne or someone for the show saw online that viewers were getting tired of her seeming to favor male competitors so she intended to make it clear that she wanted a woman to win from her team. Brett really was the one on her side who improved the most from episode to episode so I was sad for him when he wasn't chosen along with having to hear comments from Anne like she didn't believe him. 

Here's a link to a blog Allison started last November with a tease about revealing why she was never without her "trusty fannypack". I'm not sure if this blog was mentioned previously or not. I don't remember a mention or explanation concerning her wearing the fannypack all the time.

http://foodfamilyandmyfannypack.com

• Love 6

I don't think there was ever a rational explanation for the fannypack, more like it's her "thing".  I am not a fan of cheap tricks like that for the sake of being "memorable" or "different",  

Though I also remember having a conversation about the need for pockets around the house... which surprised me because I don't carry anything when I am in my own home.  If I need something, I will go get it, it's not like I live in a giant 20,000 square foot mansion.  

• Love 3

I thought Travelle and Brett would be the final two.   I can't believe all of the criticisms Anne had, and still picked Allison.    Brett and Lavelle did superior dishes, both had great comments, and I don't see why they were booted over the two women.   I'm probably not even going to watch the finale.  

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Jaded said:

I wonder if Anne or someone for the show saw online that viewers were getting tired of her seeming to favor male competitors so she intended to make it clear that she wanted a woman to win from her team. 

That sounds weird to me, because for as long as I remember watching this show, she always seems to favor female participants, I think of her final champions all but a couple were women. 

• Love 1

I don't think I've watched a finale of this show in years. With the final two they picked, it looks like that trend will continue this year. I'm kind of indifferent to Brittani (is that her name? Tyler's pick, I mean) but I actively can't stand Allison to the point where I mute her or fast-forward through her THs.

• Love 3

I didn't even notice Allison's stupid fanny pack until this episode. Add one more thing to the list of things that annoy me about her.

Brett was robbed. I would much rather see a Brett-Travelle finale. I actually like both of them. Brittany is just... there and Allison is actively awful.

• Love 11

I just watched this. I generally agree. I don't like Allison, and honestly, I thought she was a goner about 3 weeks ago. I thought Carmelle was better. Brett's food looked a lot better, and I would  much rather have seen him in the finale. 

While I liked Travelle better, personality-wise, I do think Brittany is the better cook and I probably would have picked her. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Superclam said:

While I liked Travelle better, personality-wise, I do think Brittany is the better cook and I probably would have picked her. 

Agreed that, from what we see, Brittany is likely better-suited for this. Travelle has at least gotten the space cadet edit, however much truth there may be there.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Jaded said:

I'm really peeved that Anne didn't choose Brett and the blatant favoritism she showed throughout the show towards Allison. The way she was going on and on and on continuously about how she needed to win for her family and kids didn't endear her to me. I was sick of her whining about it by the end of the episode and was more annoyed than happy for her. Allison and Brittany both seem kinda flaky so at this point I'm not sure who I want to win. I wonder if Anne or someone for the show saw online that viewers were getting tired of her seeming to favor male competitors so she intended to make it clear that she wanted a woman to win from her team. Brett really was the one on her side who improved the most from episode to episode so I was sad for him when he wasn't chosen along with having to hear comments from Anne like she didn't believe him. 

Here's a link to a blog Allison started last November with a tease about revealing why she was never without her "trusty fannypack". I'm not sure if this blog was mentioned previously or not. I don't remember a mention or explanation concerning her wearing the fannypack all the time.

http://foodfamilyandmyfannypack.com

Thank you for the link!  According to her blog, she "can't wait to fill" us in on everything, after the show ends, including why she was never without her fanny pack.  Good grief. 🙄

Allison is on Twitter and she seems to be a decent person (which is unusual on Twitter which brings out the worst in most) but she was so annoying on TV, I am still set against her. 

Brittany is on Twitter too and also seems nice.  She is also very young, which to me explains a lot including her lack of cooking skills.  When I was 23, I hardly knew how to cook anything!  

Edited by Hellga

When Anne spent a lot of time redirecting Allison during the elimination competition I thought that sealed the win for Brett.  Wow, was I wrong.  Allison was kind of melting down and would not have had food on the plate except for Anne's blatant help.  Allison is a bit much for me and all of her comments about how everything she does is for her children.  Meh.  Not so much-if her children really were her everything why didn't she learn how to cook years ago so that they would have good and healthy meals?  So, everything for them means only learning how to cook via being on a t.v. show...

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

When Anne spent a lot of time redirecting Allison during the elimination competition I thought that sealed the win for Brett.  Wow, was I wrong.  Allison was kind of melting down and would not have had food on the plate except for Anne's blatant help.  Allison is a bit much for me and all of her comments about how everything she does is for her children.  Meh.  Not so much-if her children really were her everything why didn't she learn how to cook years ago so that they would have good and healthy meals?  So, everything for them means only learning how to cook via being on a t.v. show...

But but, she's a famewhore for her children! Think of the children! I know we've long recognized that this show creates caricatures of the people on the show but it was telling to me how much better she looks in the pictures on her blog than she does on Worst Cooks. Even though I assume the producers or whoever created this character out of her and she may not be really like this, I still can't stand the character she is playing.

• Love 5