Type keyword(s) to search

Million Dollar Listing NY - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 8/7/2021 at 10:01 PM, Marley said:

KJ constantly talking about Italians is annoying. We get it you lived in Europe. Also she just travels to Switzerland during the pandemic? Like always rules don’t apply to rich ppl...

The don't apply to politicians either: 8/11/21: 

New Jersey Gov. Murphy departing the state for vacation to Italy

Murphy, who owns a house in central Italy, expects to return Aug. 19.

Actually I know someone who is going to a Mediterranean country soon. Says it is allowed with standard precautions taken.

2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Why did Ryan make that big fuss about how hard it was to put the bicycles in the pool?   He put them in the deep end, and should have used the shallow end. 

I didn't see any stairs leading into the pool.  Maybe I missed them!  

8 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

Frederick wanted to stay in NYC, but Derek wanted to raise the kids in LA, to have more space.  Frederick offered to move to Connecticut, or Long Island, or somewhere close, but Derek was insistent.  I've always perceived an imbalance in that relationship

Oh but Derek doesn't like cold weather. Derek gets what he wants.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think they must have had stairs at the shallow end of the pool.

I think I noticed a *step ladder* at the deep end. Wouldn't there be a mounted ladder on the side? And perhaps this didn't have a shallow end? It seemed uniformly deep if I recall correctly.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

I think I noticed a *step ladder* at the deep end. Wouldn't there be a mounted ladder on the side? And perhaps this didn't have a shallow end? It seemed uniformly deep if I recall correctly.

There should be stepping stairs built into one side of the pool, to be able to enter cold water slowly.  I didn't see any, which frankly would be a must for any pool I'd have.  Ryan would have easily been able to walk the bikes down.  Yes, that ladder/step situation was strange.  And while I get his whole City Bike gimmick, I think it was rather dumb.  But who am I....I'm not making millions in commissions, he is.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

And perhaps this didn't have a shallow end? It seemed uniformly deep if I recall correctly.

That's how I'm remembering it.   Maybe the built-in stairs blended in enough where we couldn't see them.

1 hour ago, Starlight925 said:

And while I get his whole City Bike gimmick, I think it was rather dumb.  

I thought so too.  People can't visualize water in a pool (insert eye roll), so let's make it a roller derby for bikes.  ;)  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Given the tie in with Steve's new penthouse listing, I think Steve is living in the apartment for free as a promotional deal with the developer. The apartment got a lot of air time and based on what Ryan said there is a lot of vacant units in the building.

Dorinda from RH of New York got her apartment free for several years because the developer wanted the promotional benefit of having it featured on the show and with that show it wasn't as obviously promoted as with Steve.

In general you can't protect a view in New York (or anywhere) unless the developer actually purchases those rights from buildings adjacent which some of the really expensive buildings have done. When you buy air rights in New York, you purchase the right of a building to build higher than its current zoning would permit so the selling building is locked into a certain height. It is somewhat equivalent of selling mineral rights. 

There is a whole category of what are called "lot line windows" in New York which are when buildings have windows that are built right on the lot line because the existing buildings are low. So when a new higher building is built you don't just lose a view but the existing window also has to be bricked up to comply with fire safety laws so you effectively now have an apartment with interior walls where there used to be walls with windows.

https://www.hauseit.com/lot-line-windows-nyc/

I have never owned a pool in the North East but I thought they needed to be drained in the winter because of freezing conditions. A purchaser might want to have the pool drained to verify the condition of the pool. If anyone owns a pool in the north perhaps they can verify. I would think that keeping a pool filled in cold weather would stress the pool construction as well. 

Edited by amarante
  • Useful 2

I suspect the Ryan trying to steal business from Frederick is more manufactured drama for the show.  Fred was involved in the building from the start of development and sold all but the last units to be built, the penthouses, which determine the overall profitability of the project.

Doubtful that a developer who’s been working with Fred for years on the project would dump him for the last two units.  But for TV?  Sure let’s go with it!

I know they’re trying to make the West Side a thing, with Hudson Yards.  But there’s nothing out there and no subway lines, are there?  So they’d have to build up restaurants and stores at Hudson Yards, to be a magnet for people.  But so much of it seem desolate out there.  I guess they’re going to feature water views as a big attraction, to vie with Central Park or skyline views in other parts of Manhattan.

But Ryan’s listing, with the huge outdoor space, has furniture bolted down because of the winds?  Um, doesn’t sound like a pleasant place to be if it gets that windy.  Who wants to be in that pool with high winds?

The mask theater they have on this show is ridiculous.  They’re wearing masks BEFORE they meet and then take it off so they can be filmed for the cameras?  Well them wearing masks as they meet is for the cameras too.

Ryan and Steve meet face to face across that small table maskless.  Then Steve goes outside to call but puts his gaiter on and Ryan also masks up to go outside.

I don’t think they understand how masks work with covid.

Or they do but they wanted to pretend they do.

Yeah kind of sleazy for Ryan to demand higher commission, essentially taking money from Steve.  That isn’t a condition from the buyer, that’s assuming this wasn’t again done for the show.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, aghst said:

I know they’re trying to make the West Side a thing, with Hudson Yards.  But there’s nothing out there and no subway lines, are there?  

I am a suburbanite of NYC and can't speak to the amenities there, but there is a brand new subway station that opened in 2015. The High Line is in that area which is a huge tourist draw (which can be good or bad).

Edited by dleighg
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, amarante said:

If anyone owns a pool in the north perhaps they can verify. I would think that keeping a pool filled in cold weather would stress the pool construction as well. 

I'm not comparing my experience to the harsh temps in the north, but having lived in north Alabama where we had freezing temps,  everybody who owns a pool usually just covers them with a pool cover for the winter.   You  put your chemicals in, cover it, and the water is usually a pretty shade of blue come Spring!  Here's an article that suggests not draining a pool in the winter.  Scroll down for the in-ground pool info.  

• Love 4

I do want to the see the pool filled, lounge chairs out & the landscaping done in the Spring. I’m sure it would look amazing. The furnishing and design were taste specific as usual but it that can be fixed and the views were amazing. Was the price $16 million-ish? I can only do $15 million. I guess I’ll have to pass. LOL!!!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Over the past few seasons, I had grown to like Ryan and Fredrik the best, but both are starting to seem more like they did in the earlier days of MDL, when neither was all that likeable. Ryan taking more of the commission from Steve on that listing seemed sleazy AF, and Fredrik has been acting ridiculous all season. And now, we’re back to Fredrik-Ryan drama - great, because lord knows that why we all watch the show *sarcasm*.

I do agree with whoever mentioned the power imbalance in the Fredrik-Derek relationship in regard to their move to the west coast. That move was definitely all about Derek. In lots of relationships, one person loves and is more committed to the other more, and Ive always thought that was Fredrik based on what has been shown on the show.

I am glad that Steve has dialed back the arrogance this season. I found him to be really unlikeable last season, but he’s not bothering me at all this season. In terms of his high rise listing, I would hate to be so high up in the air. Yes, the views are nice, but what if you have to evacuate quickly. I just wouldn’t be comfortable being that high up.

• Love 2
On 8/14/2021 at 4:53 PM, Grrarrggh said:

Just a ladder, no stairs. 

I know the homeowner said they didn’t use the pool much but you would think an affixed ladder would be on each (at least, one) side would have been there. That’s really odd. The homeowner really must hated having the pool if she didn’t have a ladder for people to climb out of. 

3 hours ago, Jess14 said:

Over the past few seasons, I had grown to like Ryan and Fredrik the best, but both are starting to seem more like they did in the earlier days of MDL, when neither was all that likeable. Ryan taking more of the commission from Steve on that listing seemed sleazy AF, and Fredrik has been acting ridiculous all season. And now, we’re back to Fredrik-Ryan drama - great, because lord knows that why we all watch the show *sarcasm*.

I do agree with whoever mentioned the power imbalance in the Fredrik-Derek relationship in regard to their move to the west coast. That move was definitely all about Derek. In lots of relationships, one person loves and is more committed to the other more, and Ive always thought that was Fredrik based on what has been shown on the show.

I am glad that Steve has dialed back the arrogance this season. I found him to be really unlikeable last season, but he’s not bothering me at all this season. In terms of his high rise listing, I would hate to be so high up in the air. Yes, the views are nice, but what if you have to evacuate quickly. I just wouldn’t be comfortable being that high up.

I know what you mean. I went to an open house today for a very small condo (suburbs of Philadelphia) and, the place was only 4 floors and the elevator took forever. I was looking for stairs but couldn’t find them. I’m like get me out of here. LOL!!! I can’t imagine living a huge hi rise waiting for an elevator. When I get home I want to get the f@ck home. I don’t want to wait. I’m not afraid of heights and I love the views but I hate waiting for elevators. I’m weird that way. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Jess14 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case.  They're the best known of the cast, been around the longest.

More specifically, Bravo probably believes the show does best when those two are butting heads.

Bravo shows all have feuds so it's a familiar and proven formula.

They're both wiling to ham it up for the cameras -- I can't imagine either really behaves like what is shown in their real day to day business.  So why wouldn't they agree to have some melodrama between each other for "good TV."

• Love 3
On 8/14/2021 at 10:00 PM, amarante said:

I have never owned a pool in the North East but I thought they needed to be drained in the winter because of freezing conditions. A purchaser might want to have the pool drained to verify the condition of the pool. If anyone owns a pool in the north perhaps they can verify. I would think that keeping a pool filled in cold weather would stress the pool construction as well. 

No, quite the opposite. Draining a pool could affect the walls etc. We remove ladders, put in chemicals, put on a cover and drain the plumbing. Sometimes folks drain water below the skimmer, we used to but now dont even do that. That's all that needs to be done. Which makes me think this pool was either redone (possibly why ladders were not yet installed again), or drained for upcoming repairs (or recently completed repairs). 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Jess14 said:

In any relationship, the person who cares the least has the most control.  

I agree with your assessment of their relationship.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 8/16/2021 at 2:08 PM, Starlight925 said:

In any relationship, the person who cares the least has the most control.  

I agree with your assessment of their relationship.

Fredrick admitted to being a functional alcoholic and got sober during COVID. I think that Derek has been through the paces with Fredrick. It was surprising to hear Fredrick admit to missing his kids but not Derek.

The large developers will lose confidence in Fredrick if he is bicoastal. 90% of life is showing up!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Ryan looked fine AF.  Damn he gorgeous.  

The new hairdo looked really good!

I'm glad that Tyler was able to sell that townhouse for close to what the asking price was.  Most properties we've seen this season took a huge loss.  I loved all of the original woodwork in there.  I'm glad that they didn't gut the entire thing when they were updating it.  The chandeliers were beautiful too.

After seeing this episode, I don't think Ryan did anything wrong in regards to Fredrik.  I liked Steve's point of view on the whole thing.   

1 minute ago, Showthyme said:

The large developers will lose confidence in Fredrick if he is bicoastal. 90% of life is showing up!

Exactly!  As much as I like Fredrik, I think it's a bit naïve  to think that he can own every market he's in.   Things tend to go downhill when one isn't giving their attention to the details.  He's spreading himself too thin.  

• Love 5

Fredrik should not have taken Steve’s advice, and let it go. He came off as highly insecure for someone who is so successful. Now, I do think the developer and his partner described Ryan’s actions as very differently than Ryan did, so on some level, I can see why Fredrik was annoyed, but regardless, he seemed overly emotional and petty, just like Steve said.

Speaking of Steve, I’m surprised by how much I like him this season. I liked him when he first came on the show m, then i thought he got to be extremely arrogant, but now I like him again. 

Glad that Tyler sold the townhouse for a decent price. 

Edited by Jess14
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

shallow observance - when Frederick and Ryan were fake arguing...Ryan looked fine AF.  Damn he gorgeous.  

I noticed that, too. Fred also looked good in that scene. As did Switzerland Steve. It looks like Ryan and Fred have followed Steve with the more relaxed casual look. The look still screams money, but I have always liked the way Steve dressed. They were all wearing expensive AF clothes and they all have perfect bodies with both Ryan and Fred being 6'4 and Steve around 6'. Ok, I'm a little obsessed with how handsome they all are. Then there's Tyler....

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

I noticed that, too. Fred also looked good in that scene. As did Switzerland Steve. It looks like Ryan and Fred have followed Steve with the more relaxed casual look. The look still screams money, but I have always liked the way Steve dressed. They were all wearing expensive AF clothes and they all have perfect bodies with both Ryan and Fred being 6'4 and Steve around 6'. Ok, I'm a little obsessed with how handsome they all are. Then there's Tyler....

I don't know if this makes me weird, but someone screaming money with clothes, cars etc makes me want to hire them less, not more. 

• Love 2

Lol pls Fredrik saying he’s a functional alcoholic is just him getting attention saying he’s quitting something again. So stupid. 

I really don’t enjoy watching Tyler. He’s an annoying jerk who thinks he’s better then ppl lol.

Fredrik is so annoying. Steve was being legit. It’s so dumb. I mean if it’s real lol. I do like Ryan way more the Fredrik tho.

Fredrik needs to go back to LA with his dumb trophy husband and fuck off.

I don’t know if I can even watch this show anymore. Everyone is so fucking greedy. It makes me sick. Even if you have a bit less profit you are still rich as fuck.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think the Ryan-Fredrik spat was all for the show, and totally scripted.   

Exactly, and I bet it’s just a coincidence that the spat is building towards the season finale.

Yeah this show features people quibbling over every last thousand.  Not really a good look for humanity.

Like the lighting fixtures.  What was the seller going to do, rip them out after sale unless the buyers paid more after paying almost $7 million?  Why even show the property with them if they’re not included?  What would she have done with them if the buyer was unwilling to pay extra for them?

KJ got a good deal, $108k commission on $300k of 1-year lease.  That’s way more than 1/3!  No wonder Manhattan rents are ridiculous, you get parasites taking 1/3.  Plus the building must have absurd maintenance fees and property taxes.

I thought the discussion about her own team was interesting.  Her brokerage firm would give her a bigger piece of the commission but if her team gets larger, she’d have to pay them more which comes out of her share.  They would have administrative staff who are on salary and would expect annual raises, maybe bonuses if team does well in a given year.

But a lot of these people would be considered rent-seekers, do just enough to make sales then collect commissions and fees, some of them ongoing.  It’s great when the market is Ho or is a bubble.  So many brokers often see their annual income fluctuate but maybe not with top brokers like Frederick and Ryan.  However they have to pay a lot of people who work for them, yet Frederick drives a Bentley and Ryan is driven around in a luxury SUV.

They must believe the show helps their businesses, gets them more social media and so on.  But are rich buyers, sellers and developers influenced by the show?  You’d think they’re generally more educated and sophisticate about how scripted the show is, not necessarily be more inclined to hire the brokers on the show just because they’re on TV.

That was quite some heart to heart Fredrik had with Kirsten on the patio. It went from what seemed to be mid-afternoon at the beginning, to definitely evening (with lights coming on around them) by the end. Guess the producers thought of extra stuff they wanted them to talk about. Or who knows, maybe it was even a different day!

IMG-9489.JPG

IMG-9495.JPG

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Yes, the Frederik/Ryan disagreement was completely scripted.

Remember, Ryan started out as a daytime soap actor, so he was able to stay in character.  But Frederik kept laughing.  Every time the camera panned back to Frederik, he kept this little smirky laugh thing, like that one we get in school, church, or a business meeting, where we know we aren't supposed to laugh, but the fact that we aren't supposed to laugh makes the laughing that much harder to control.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

It looks like Ryan and Fred have followed Steve with the more relaxed casual look.

I think they were more casual because they weren't meeting clients.  

3 hours ago, aghst said:

Like the lighting fixtures.  What was the seller going to do, rip them out after sale unless the buyers paid more after paying almost $7 million?  Why even show the property with them if they’re not included?  What would she have done with them if the buyer was unwilling to pay extra for them?

Tyler mentioned that light fixtures are a big deal when selling property in NYC.  Maybe some of those  high-end chandeliers and light fixtures are like a piece of art to the homeowner, so if they leave, then the fixtures go with them.   I've never had to worry about that problem when selling a home and moving to another one here in the South.  If you don't like a particular light fixture, you just go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick out something different!  There are no Tiffany lamps for sale there!  :)  

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Steve was always casual, he has said he hated suits. Ryan and Fred were always in tailored suits even in their offices. 

3 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Tyler mentioned that light fixtures are a big deal when selling property in NYC.  Maybe some of those  high-end chandeliers and light fixtures are like a piece of art to the homeowner, so if they leave, then the fixtures go with them.   I've never had to worry about that problem when selling a home and moving to another one here in the South.  If you don't like a particular light fixture, you just go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick out something different!  There are no Tiffany lamps for sale there!  :)  

I've always advised friends that are going to sell, that if anything like a light fixture will be going with them, to replace it before listing, and doing the listing photos, or the buyer will demand to have it left behind. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I've always advised friends that are going to sell, that if anything like a light fixture will be going with them, to replace it before listing, and doing the listing photos, or the buyer will demand to have it left behind. 

We took a light fixture one time, but that's because of sentimental reasons, not anything fancy!!  That is true though, replace anything that you want to keep before you put the house on the market.  You never know what a buyer might demand to be left behind.  

• Love 2
11 hours ago, aghst said:

They must believe the show helps their businesses, gets them more social media and so on.  But are rich buyers, sellers and developers influenced by the show?  You’d think they’re generally more educated and sophisticate about how scripted the show is, not necessarily be more inclined to hire the brokers on the show just because they’re on TV.

YES! If there is one thing I've learned in my life it is: People are stupid, rich people are stupider. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, MsTree said:

I didn't know that. Which soap? What character?

ATWT as Dr. Evan Walsh. He was awful & didn’t last long. Funny enough i remember watching him then and thinking he’s not good looking enough for daytime. He was okay looking but he wasn’t soap opera good looking. LOL!!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

So the finale, everyone did great, set records, made big career jumps.

Yadda, yadda.

Ryan’s scene was staged of course.  He made that deal with probably some slick PowerPoint presentation.  Or they picked him because of his track record.  I wonder if he does as much retail brokering as he claims or has delegated the showings and open houses, which may get dreary.

Wouldn’t he prefer to spend weekends with wife and daughter instead of hosting open houses?  Seems like realtors starting out would pay their dues, give up their weekends and life away from the office.

As for the big clients, there must be friction if he signed clients who had been clients of his former employer or those whom he met when he was working for his previous employer.

The Frederick and Steve scenes were staged too.  I’m sure both of them had deals in hand before the cameras started rolling.

KJ weeping on camera about her big career move.  Not sure if genuine or she’s the type who can cry on cue.

Kevin finally sold that weirdo apt.  Buyer didn’t get her asking price but probably still made money so she gave up enough of the special furnishings.

Ryan seemed very optimistic.  KJ and Steve both alluded to things becoming better in 6 months, because pandemic would be over.  In KJ’s case she was using it to get the seller to take lower price, telling him prices will go back up.

But I guess they want to believe that prices will boom or get bubble-ish again.  He may be right, people have a lot of money with stock markets at record levels.  But with his company, he’s making that bet, though he was predicting that Steve’s $30 million penthouse will be $60 million soon.  Great for his business but it says something about wealth inequality and some people might find his comments offensive.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, aghst said:

Great for his business but it says something about wealth inequality and some people might find his comments offensive.

That's the number one problem with the MDL programmes. Watching the rich complain about stupid things, haggle over what to them is pocket change, and not even show or buy interesting properties make it hard to watch. Not a single broker comes off as a remotley good person. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

That's the number one problem with the MDL programmes. Watching the rich complain about stupid things, haggle over what to them is pocket change, and not even show or buy interesting properties make it hard to watch.

Not for me.  I like these shows for the crazy expensive properties, access to famous NYC buildings and my favorite, rich people getting 2/3 of what they originally asked for their properties.  Most of the cast I find unobjectionable, I usually FF through Frederick's scenes.

• Love 7

I thought that KJ's comment about Steve dressing up for his Bar Mitzvah was pretty funny.  I'm liking her more and more!  I still think Steve walks around like a Neanderthal with that hunched-over gait.   Clearly it's working for Tyler who has a huge crush on him.  Keep it in your pants, Tyler; keep it in your pants.   ;)   

That penthouse property was insane (in a good way!)  That was a nice way to end the season.  My fear of heights and lack of $30 million would keep me from buying it, but I'd love to go and tour it just for the views!

I've always liked Fredrik, but he seems to be getting more and more full of himself and comes across like a spoiled child in his dealings with Ryan.  I'm with Ryan.  We're over it!  And those scenes of Fredrik driving around California while making deals on his phone.  Talk about a distracted driver.  Yikes!  

I wasn't crazy about the apartments with all of the copper finishes.  They stood out too much.  That's all I was seeing.  

All in all it was a good season.  I could use a few more episodes though.  

• Love 6

I liked the season finale.   

I think K.J. will do very well going out on her own, and now I see why she wanted to be on the show.   It's all about promoting yourself. 

Fredrik doesn't bother me, because I suspect he's really playing a role, much like the conflict between him and Ryan, and Josh Altman.   

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I wasn't crazy about the apartments with all of the copper finishes.  They stood out too much.  That's all I was seeing.  

All in all it was a good season.  I could use a few more episodes though.  

You & me both.  I thought the copper cheapened everything.  I would love to have seen pewter finishes everywhere (old-fashioned).

• Love 3

So KJ selling those "F Line" apartments-- the one on a high floor, for the Hong Kong buyers. They showed on the screen that the asking was 1.495, and the sponsor is saying "we have to get 1.5!". Maybe the caption was just wrong, as it doesn't make sense that they'd be asking the same price for all of them.

And I also hated the copper fixtures. We've always done brushed nickel, which seems really timeless.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

We've always done brushed nickel, which seems really timeless.

Mr. Chat and I always liked antique brass finishes (fans, door handles, etc.), but those have gone the way of the dinosaur.  We have brushed nickel too, but it took me awhile to get used to something other than antique brass!  We're slow to change!!

• Love 3

How many freaking times does Tyler have to remind us that he's gay?? (the comments about Steve). Why is it so important to him that we know? Who gives a crap? Just do the show and leave your sexual preferences out of it.  Yes, on occasion Fredrick says or does something but he's more natural about it whereas Tyler wants you to know "I AM OUT AND PROUD".

Every time I start liking him again he starts with the goo goo talk about Steve and I don't give a damn. Just like I don't give a damn about Steve or Ryan's heterosexuality. Show the fabulous listings you have and leave it at that is what I say.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, SimonSeymour said:

It was a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. 

Damn, I thought so. So cute as a pup, but I just can't with the bulgy eyes when they grow up. Sigh. 

1 hour ago, dizzydame said:

How many freaking times does Tyler have to remind us that he's gay??

I don't think he's reminding anyone he's gay. He's just admiring how someone looks. Men have been talking about how women look for decades on television. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 6