Type keyword(s) to search

Million Dollar Listing NY - General Discussion

• Start Topic

39 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

It was nice to see a property that didn't need $75,000 worth of staging!  If anything, it looked a little sparse in some rooms, but I like that better than seeing things cluttered and over-decorated.  

I didn't mean any offense in my post!  I thought the kitchen looked nice.  I didn't agree with Tyler that the house looked "dated."   I loved Kirsten's TH comment of "Tyler, we're on the same page here!"   The Realtor needs to play up certain features if he/she thinks their client is on the fence about it.  The couple he brought in seemed to like everything, so he needed to stay quiet! 

Absolutely no offense taken.  I was just "trying" to say that, for some people, certain colours are timeless.  Everyone that comes to my house compliment me on the kitchen decor, for which I can take no credit (LOL).

• Love 3
16 hours ago, ChitChat said:

For those of you who live in NYC, do you think some of these sellers should've hung onto their apartments to see if the market bounced back, or do you agree that they were correct in cutting their losses and moving on?  The double whammy of the pandemic and a presidential election made it a tricky time.  The markets in general are usually up and down in an election year anyway.

The NY Times is reporting that rentals are no longer offering any “pandemic discount” and, I believe, that property prices are back to pre-pandemic levels. That said, there was a glut of luxury housing pre-pandemic.

In between when we sold one property and then bought another we lived in a rental in Spanish Harlem for a year. It was designed to be condos, like the Boerum Hill property, but came to market just after the 2008 housing collapse. It had high end fixtures and floor to ceiling Windows. It had insane views-when there were fireworks in NJ for the super bowl in 2014, we could see them from our windows. It was a couple of blocks away from buildings that blew up in a gas explosion. I was home for that and it was terrifying!

• Love 3

I loved KJ`s listing in Rye NY. I am shocked that the house was only listed for $3.8M after the owners spent $1.6M in renovations. It was in perfect shape.

Is it possible that the the space above the garage was an addition to the original house ?

I would have built a pool in the backyard.

KJ is a great addition to the show. She is very professional.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/40-Old-Post-Rd-Rye-NY-10580/58406838_zpid/?mmlb=g,0

• Love 4
17 hours ago, ChitChat said:

IIRC, Derek was concerned about his own career and wanted to still be able to do his artwork, and not be a full-time nanny since Fredrik was always out taking care of his real estate business

I'm sure they have a full time nanny. Or two. I'm sure these nannies travel with them where ever they go. Derek doesn't do all the work. He has the luxury of painting in his studio while Fredrik is out busting his butt happily making his millions. They have an incredible life and if they have another kid it shouldn't make much of a dent in their lifestyle. 

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I'm sure they have a full time nanny. Or two. I'm sure these nannies travel with them where ever they go. Derek doesn't do all the work. He has the luxury of painting in his studio while Fredrik is out busting his butt happily making his millions. They have an incredible life and if they have another kid it shouldn't make much of a dent in their lifestyle. 

Yeah, I believe they have at least one nanny.  Even so, Fredrik is out and about, which leaves Derek to manage things.  I believe that Derek used to work from home.  I'm not sure if he has a separate studio now. 

I'm rooting for Fredrik & Derek, as so many celebrity couples don't make it, so I think that Fredrik really needs to consider Derek's feelings on this one, especially since Derek gave in the first time with what Fredrik wanted.  He needs to pay attention when Derek says that between work and the kids, they don't have as much time together as they used to.  Heed the warnings, Fredrik!!

3 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Everyone that comes to my house compliment me on the kitchen decor, for which I can take no credit (LOL).

I'm sure it's quite lovely!  When we moved into our current home, it had just been renovated.  The owner (a guy) did a pretty good job, but the granite countertops are pretty much the same thing you see with the granite countertops "craze!"  It's pretty, but I've seen some quartz ones that I like better.  More unique.  Unfortunately, I can't justify replacing what I've got.  I'm not complaining, just stating that being unique, rather than going with the latest trends can be a nice change.  

1 hour ago, oakville said:

I loved KJ`s listing in Rye NY. I am shocked that the house was only listed for $3.8M after the owners spent $1.6M in renovations. It was in perfect shape.

It was very nice.  I hated to see them take a loss on it.  I wonder if there are still a lot of people looking for homes with property in the New York area, or if the panic has settled down.  

• Love 3
On 7/9/2021 at 12:04 PM, oakville said:

Is it possible that the the space above the garage was an addition to the original house ?

I would have built a pool in the backyard.

KJ is a great addition to the show. She is very professional.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/40-Old-Post-Rd-Rye-NY-10580/58406838_zpid/?mmlb=g,0

Yeah they're basically getting their investment back if they sell at full asking.

It is a beautiful property but if city dwellers really move out there, they may be in for a bit of a shock at the maintenance and upkeep required.  The grounds seemed like it would take a lot of work so they'd have to hire a gardener.

Property prices are surging around the country.  People are flush with cash.  Savings rate last year was the highest of all time.  Either people saved money not going out as much or commuting to the office or they banked some pandemic money.  Or both, in addition to the stock market shooting way up and very low interest rates.

But as noted above, high-end Manhattan property prices were on the decline before the pandemic started.  Frederick cited 40k properties for sale in Manhattan?

I can see why his sellers just wanted to move on, not tie up $6 million in that NYC property when they were living out in Palm Springs.

Derek doesn't want any more kids.  You can tell that he thinks two are enough demands on his time, because he doesn't just want to be a stay at home house parent.

Ryan was cockblocked by that developer.  Why would the presidential election affect the project?  They've already sunk hundreds of millions into the project.  There was talk of higher taxes on higher income earners but that will take at least a full year to enact.  People buying expensive Manhattan real estate likely have equity portfolios, which have only grown during the pandemic and also the years before the pandemic.  Grown by far more than any additional taxes they'd have to pay.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, aghst said:

Ryan was cockblocked by that developer.  Why would the presidential election affect the project?  

Because tRump was making it easier for the rich to get richer and would continue to do that if re-elected. 

• Love 2

Like I noted, nothing has changed and the earliest it would change is starting next year.

Even that's not a certainty.

So when the show was filmed, it's almost a year now.

I'd be curious to see if that developer delayed construction or delayed marketing the properties, because he would be paying interest until he starts selling property and retiring some of his construction loans.

So no, I don't think higher tax rates on high income people should make one bit of difference in real estate.

And as I noted, people have made a ton of money in the stock market not only last year but this year so far.  Probably way more than any additional taxes they might have to pay if they raised the tax rates.

3 hours ago, aghst said:

Like I noted, nothing has changed and the earliest it would change is starting next year.

Even that's not a certainty.

So when the show was filmed, it's almost a year now.

I'd be curious to see if that developer delayed construction or delayed marketing the properties, because he would be paying interest until he starts selling property and retiring some of his construction loans.

So no, I don't think higher tax rates on high income people should make one bit of difference in real estate.

And as I noted, people have made a ton of money in the stock market not only last year but this year so far.  Probably way more than any additional taxes they might have to pay if they raised the tax rates.

www.npr.org/2020/11/03/930722317/how-the-presidential-election-winner-could-effect-the-economy

• Love 1
(edited)

Tyler and Fredrik really annoy me. 

Fredrik’s whole schtick is stupid at this point. Why does he need so many kids. Just be happy with what you have.

I don’t mind KJ so far.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 2
On 7/9/2021 at 3:36 PM, bichonblitz said:

Yep, and Derek was the one who pushed to move to LA because he didn’t like NYC. This was with full knowledge that Fredrik’s primary real estate business was in NYC, and he would be flying back and forth all of the time. So, even if Derek was shouldering a much bigger share of the work with the kids (which I don’t think he is)…..well, that’s kind of how it goes. Now that’s not to say that Derek’s opinion about having more kids is irrelevant. Both parents need to be on board for that, and I think it makes sense that Derek is content with the twins and his other son. Also, nothing about that conversation led me to believe that Fredrik had really thought long and hard about having more kids. 

I completely forgot about Steve until the previews. He hasn’t seemed as arrogant to me this season as he has in the past, but of all of the brokers, I feel like he adds the least to the show.

Regarding Emilia…I’m not surprised that she quit working as an attorney given how much Ryan makes. That’s a time-intensive, stressful job, and I doubt she was at a point in her  career where she had that much control over the hours she was working or her schedule. I would probably quit too lol! 

• Love 2

Is Rye NY considered what the NYC folk refer to as "upstate"?  Its like a half hour away.  (not being sarcastic) 

Frederick really needs to stop with the screaming bullshit.  OMG! Stop it!

Ryan just keeps getting better looking by the minute.....

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Is Rye NY considered what the NYC folk refer to as "upstate"?  Its like a half hour away.

I've seen it done, ridiculous as it is. My husband and I worked at an IBM location in Hawthorne NY, which is a bit further north than Rye, but not much. It was referred to in a newspaper article as "upstate NY."

Do any of the brokers come from middle class families? Tyler, maybe? I just wondered about that when Kirsten was talking about living in Rye, which appeared to be a very wealthy area. 

1 hour ago, Jess14 said:

Do any of the brokers come from middle class families? Tyler, maybe? I just wondered about that when Kirsten was talking about living in Rye, which appeared to be a very wealthy area. 

Nope. It's how they get these jobs and clients to start with. 

• Love 5
On 7/13/2021 at 5:23 AM, TV Diva Queen said:

Frederick really needs to stop with the screaming bullshit.  OMG! Stop it!

Not that it will ever be an issue in my lifetime, but there is zero possibility I would enter any financial transaction with him based on his immature behavior.

• Love 10
On 7/13/2021 at 5:23 AM, TV Diva Queen said:

Is Rye NY considered what the NYC folk refer to as "upstate"?  Its like a half hour away.  (not being sarcastic) 

I think downtown NYC dwellers can't even imagine how us common folk (even the wealthiest) manage to exist in the hinterlands outside of Manhattan.  I was watching a rerun of one of those landscape makeover shows and the hosts -- used to staging downtown NYC terraces -- kept exclaiming how their "upstate" project was the first one they'd ever done with a yard having actual dirt, saving them from having to buy any.

Another designer couple who has lost touch in my opinion are Nate and Jeremiah.  On the last Rock the Block show, their design choices were made for magazine photos, not livability for anyone with growing children who doesn't have full time cleaning and nanny staff.  

I've also seen an increase in buyers who seem terrified of yards and trees on House Hunters.  

I guess desirable "outdoor space" no longer includes an actual yard?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, eyelash said:

Not that it will ever be an issue in my lifetime, but there is zero possibility I would enter any financial transaction with him based on his immature behavior.

What happened to Fredrik with the always freshly coiffed hair and the expensive perfectly tailored designer suits? He's gone Hollywood. Now this is just an acting job for him. Sleeping in his listing to give it a lived in look, rumpled bed and all. Please, stop.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, eyelash said:

Another designer couple who has lost touch in my opinion are Nate and Jeremiah.  On the last Rock the Block show, their design choices were made for magazine photos, not livability for anyone with growing children who doesn't have full time cleaning and nanny staff.  

See I feel the exact opposite. I think too many people, parents especially, have been drugged by HGTV, internet, magazines etc, into thinking their home must be a certain way or their child will die. Just look at all the parents who complain about stairs and lack of a bathtub. Lots of children who are privileged enough to grow up in beautiful homes with no staff have just as much fun and mess as those in modern padded rooms. 

On 7/8/2021 at 7:08 PM, Medicine Crow said:

Those are the colours in my kitchen & the reason I bought it twenty years ago.  The tiles around the counters compliment the green & white & are very interesting.  (No intention of changing anything!!!)

The funny thing is that colours and materials are cyclical, so chances are when you go to sell your house it will be back in style. Colour certainly has more personality that the current trend of white on white on white. Though I have noticed that some colour is finally creeping back in. My brother in law is building a house, and everything they have picked out is either grey or white. By the time they actually move in, I think that combination will be out of style. In any case I would never pick it, it would totally depress me to live in such a sterile looking home. 

I loved that Rye house, and wish they would show more houses. I get bored with the condos in New York which, after awhile, all look alike. I thought the house was gorgeous, and the grounds were stunning. We moved into our home 16 years ago, and I love it as much today as the day we moved in. I have no intention of changing the flooring or countertops to make them current. The cabinets are a rich cherry, and the coutner tops dark granite. It is what we like and have no intention of changing it.  I always joke that by the time we decide to sell, everything will be back in style again anyway. 

I have not watched this week's show as yet, but I was totally ticked off at the last episode with Derek driving like an idiot. He seems to have gotten more immature since he moved to L.A. 

• Love 7

Good episode. I like Steve & KJ. I still can’t stand Frederick. I can’t believe he’s a an actual realtor. I’ll just stay with my local Century 21 agent. LOL!!! The Rye farm is nice but it caters to a certain person ($$$$) and needs work. I guess the rental is a good work around and the owner seemed okay with and that Steve was trying.

OCD  Lady. I think I would die a slow (actually very fast) death if was dating/married to her. OMG! I just couldn’t live with her, hang out with her or be friends with her. I’m very OCD with people like that. LOL!!!! How does a person like that live with that type of OCD? Did this start in nursery school when the other kids were eating paste and she just couldn’t handle it? 

• Love 4
(edited)

Wonder how much that helicopter cost.  I don’t think the seller would pay for it nor Steve out of pocket so it was probably for show.

OCD woman could be an actress.  If she was really like that, so private, why would she put her business out on a TV show?

Can university professors be fame whores?  Maybe but seems unlikely.

Does it seem like there’s more interaction between the brokers than previous seasons?  They’re going to each other’s showings more often and having convos followed by them trash talking each other in THs.

Oh and it looks like the meme they wanted to push was that Frederick has lost touch with the NYC market because he’s out in LaLa land.

Edited by aghst

I think Kirsten is a good addition to the show. I find myself usually agreeing with her opinion on things - like Steve’s house. It’s just country to me, not country chic. The grounds are certainly nice for someone who wants that much land, but otherwise, that house does not appeal to me at all. 

I would like less antics from Fredrik and more discussion about pricing, etc. His statement that if you lower the price, people will just lowball the price even more made sense to me. So, it seems like the question is do you not lower and risk not getting any offers at all or do you lower the cost and then just get offers that are even lower? That convo would be more interesting than “moving” into his listing and not making up the bed properly.

Tyler’s client was very annoying. I actually hope she was acting up for the cameras. 

The listing that Ryan’s team member had with the penthouse that didn’t have a private staircase to the private rooftop was bizarre to me. It seems like the developer could have found a way to close off the staircase for the rest of the building. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, aghst said:

Wonder how much that helicopter cost.  I don’t think the seller would pay for it nor Steve out of pocket so it was probably for show.

OCD woman could be an actress.  If she was really like that, so private, why would she put her business out on a TV show?

Can university professors be fame whores?  Maybe but seems unlikely.

Does it seem like there’s more interaction between the brokers than previous seasons?  They’re going to each other’s showings more often and having convos followed by them trash talking each other in THs.

It cost $5k according to the effects people from MDLNY. I didn't mind the Prof, so long as she actually IS OCD. Too many people these days claim to be and it's insulting and cruel to those who really are struggling with a serious medical disorder. 

Here's a bit more on her http://celebhook.com/who-is-andrea-jones-rooy-cameo-appearance-in-million-dollar-listing/

I think there's more broker interaction because there aren't as many buyers around with Covid restrictions. Gotta fill the air time somehow. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Grrarrggh said:

I think there's more broker interaction because there aren't as many buyers around with Covid restrictions. Gotta fill the air time somehow. 

Plus, you have to be able to control production and who is around whom while filming.  It's a lot easier to send the brokers out to visit each other's listings and interact more with each other since they're all being tested regularly and taking major precautions to keep the entire production team safe as well.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Grrarrggh said:

I didn't mind the Prof, so long as she actually IS OCD. Too many people these days claim to be and it's insulting and cruel to those who really are struggling with a serious medical disorder. 

Here's a bit more on her http://celebhook.com/who-is-andrea-jones-rooy-cameo-appearance-in-million-dollar-listing/

OK, she's a comedian as well as a professor?

Maybe she's not fully tenured at NYU.

She was mugging for camera time.  I think it was an act.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Jess14 said:

The listing that Ryan’s team member had with the penthouse that didn’t have a private staircase to the private rooftop was bizarre to me. It seems like the developer could have found a way to close off the staircase for the rest of the building. 

They couldn’t do it because that was a fire stair and other people in the building needed access to the roof for an emergency. 

That is why they explained that this was an alternative to an interior stair case which would have been private. I think that roof exterior space is probably not used as much as people think they will because it is inconvenient to shlep things up and down especially with a small spiral staircase.  I have a large balcony in a temperate climate with an incredible view and I never use it and I almost never see or hear anyone in my building use their balconies. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️Very occasionally if someone has a large party a few people will go out to smoke because no one smokes inside anymore. 😂😂

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, amarante said:

They couldn’t do it because that was a fire stair and other people in the building needed access to the roof for an emergency. 

That is why they explained that this was an alternative to an interior stair case which would have been private. I think that roof exterior space is probably not used as much as people think they will because it is inconvenient to shlep things up and down especially with a small spiral staircase.  I have a large balcony in a temperate climate with an incredible view and I never use it and I almost never see or hear anyone in my building use their balconies. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️Very occasionally if someone has a large party a few people will go out to smoke because no one smokes inside anymore. 😂😂

Oh, that’s interesting. So, I’m curious. In the house that Kirsten sold for her friend, where they had re-done the outdoor space on the roof, that was clearly a private area. Would there have been another stairwell up there, where other residents could access it in an emergency? I could certainly see there being a ladder of some sort, but it is some sort of requirement for their to be an actual public staircase to a private rooftop terrace? 

As for outdoor space, I think it just depends on people. I know people who use their exterior space a lot, and especially so during the pandemic. It’s been years since I didn’t live in a single family home or townhouse, but last time I had the option, I picked an apartment unit with a sunroom over a balcony. It was way more functional, and I would probably do the same again. However, I had friends in the building who thought I was crazy for not getting a unit with a balcony. 

Edited by Jess14
30 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

Oh, that’s interesting. So, I’m curious. In the house that Kirsten sold for her friend, where they had re-done the outdoor space on the roof, that was clearly a private area. Would there have been another stairwell up there, where other residents could access it in an emergency? I could certainly see there being a ladder of some sort, but it is some sort of requirement for their to be an actual public staircase to a private rooftop terrace? 

As for outdoor space, I think it just depends on people. I know people who use their exterior space a lot, and especially so during the pandemic. It’s been years since I didn’t live in a single family home, but last time I had the option, I picked an apartment unit with a sunroom over a balcony. It was way more functional, and I would probably do the same again. However, I had friends in the building who thought I was crazy for not getting a unit with a balcony. 

I am not a housing expert but I think the Kirsten penthouse had an exterior fire escape as most of the housing in that neighborhood was built under either the Old Law or New Law Tenement Laws which had to do with ventilation. You can get to the roof from a fire escape but the issue that was really strange with the  Tyler unit is that your access was through what was public fire stairs.

It would be very uncommon to have a penthouse built on one of those old buildings because they are walkup buildings with no elevators . I had friends who lived in the top floors of East Village tenements but we were young and paying $60 per month rent 😂😂 I find it utterly bizarre that anyone would spend in excess of a two million dollars in a walk-up building for the penthouse  🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️I lived in a loft on Fourth Avenue and was grateful for my elevator to the tenth floor  😀

The unit the germaphobe was viewing was a new building and was built with an interior fire stairs. Those are the kinds of stairs that are metal construction with fire doors and are required by Code. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, amarante said:

I find it utterly bizarre that anyone would spend in excess of a two million dollars in a walk-up building for the penthouse  🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️I lived in a loft on Fourth Avenue and was grateful for my elevator to the tenth floor  😀

I can understand because apparently paying millions doesn't ensure that you won't feel like you're living under a constantly practising troupe of clogging elephants. 

4 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I can understand because apparently paying millions doesn't ensure that you won't feel like you're living under a constantly practising troupe of clogging elephants. 

FWIW I live in a high-rise and floors are constructed of solid concrete and there is no noise from anywhere - very different construction for a variety of reasons including fire laws from framed construction. You can't have wood framing in any structure over I believe four stories - at least in Los Angeles and I would imagine that would also be true in NYC. As I posted, I am not an expert in construction but have picked up some stuff from dealing with zoning and permits.

You don't have to walk up six floors to avoid dealing with noisy neighbors above you :-)

• Love 2
On 7/19/2021 at 6:30 AM, amarante said:

FWIW I live in a high-rise and floors are constructed of solid concrete and there is no noise from anywhere - very different construction for a variety of reasons including fire laws from framed construction. You can't have wood framing in any structure over I believe four stories - at least in Los Angeles and I would imagine that would also be true in NYC. As I posted, I am not an expert in construction but have picked up some stuff from dealing with zoning and permits.

You don't have to walk up six floors to avoid dealing with noisy neighbors above you :-)

Well, but the wood framing would be an issue particularly in LA due to earthquakes more than anything else.  California has some of the toughest building code in the country thanks to being earthquake country.

(edited)
52 minutes ago, HighQueenEB said:

Well, but the wood framing would be an issue particularly in LA due to earthquakes more than anything else.  California has some of the toughest building code in the country thanks to being earthquake country.

Wood framing is used in many buildings in Los Angeles. They just can't use wood above four stories because of fire since that is as high as ladders go. It has nothing to do with earthquakes as framed housing is safe in an earthquake provided it is built to Code and has appropriate foundations. What is unsafe in an earthquake are masonry buildings and those are required to be retrofitted to make them safe in an earthquake.

But my original post was addressing the difference between an older building like Kristin's penthouse which had exterior fire escapes and the new construction which used the steel fire stairs for roof access and since they are fire stairs they had to be able to be used by anyone. In my building you can't lock the fire doors and you can't keep them open - that is so they are available in an emergency and so that smoke and fire doesn't travel to different floors which is the purpose of having metal doors. Exterior doors in my unit (i.e. the front door of my unit to the hall) must also be metal and they must be able to close automatically - again this is for fire Code as they do not want the possibility of fire or smoke entering a unit if the door was left open inadvertently in a panic.

There are a whole set of construction laws for highrises because of fire laws as well as other obvious considerations. When I remodeled I could not use any wood framing even in my interior spaces where it wasn't structural because of fire Code. Even my new walk in shower was framed with steel in the walls - the actual shower door is frameless glass LOL

Edited by amarante
  • Love 1
(edited)

There is a fault line in the ocean off of the Rockaways in Queens NY and it is the small unreinforced brick and masonry buildings in Queens and Brooklyn that would be most endangered if it ever slips. As Amarante said, the wood framed houses would actually be safer.

Edited by Dehumidifier
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Is Tyler doing so well in Real Estate that he can afford  $12,500 monthly rent? If so, he should be buying, not renting. 

I thought it was odd. He said he was at his old place for 11-12 years (something like that) and, so I assumed the place he got the tour of and liked would be his new home. Maybe, he’s looking for a short term rental rather than a forever home. I’m not really clear why he was asking about the rent but I guess he wasn’t looking to buy. That said, at that monthly price you might as well buy. Obviously, he can afford it.

• Love 3
(edited)

Tyler also moved out to the Hamptons for the lock down period, so maybe he wants to be more mobile in case of any further lockdowns.  

So Ryan launches his own agency, just in time for a major client to decide not to sell condos, but to rent them out.  So Ryan only gets the marketing contract.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Ryan thought he was going to have an easy sale with the virtual guy, who was  willing to spend millions without seeing the places in person.

I think there are "investors" like that who want to park their money in NYC real estate.  But the guy made it sound like he had plans to live in it.

I saw a stat that there are currently 15 billion Pounds worth of real estate in London which is owned but unoccupied.  Often it's kleptocrats from these shady countries who stole the money and want to park it in the West.

NYC probably has its share of such properties.

I know pharma executives can get paid well but they made this guy sound like he has a collection of multi million properties around the world.  I didn't know of any major pharma companies in Australia but then he was going to come live in NY?

Tyler's buyer with the crazy wall paper was realistic about her apt, though again, I don't know how real any of these people on the show are.

These brokers all do a lot of transactions so their regular clientele is probably not "quirky" as this show likes to present them.

That Rye house, I guess the owners were just happy to be able to put it behind them, get their money out.  If they downsize and maybe even move to FL or some lower-cost place, they would have money left over from the sale.

Though of course taxes will eat a chunk.  The brokers never mention that.  They always say these buyers bought for x and put in y so they are into the property for x + y and compare that to the selling price but if they sell for what they put in, they could still have a loss with commissions, closing fees.  Plus the've been paying tens of thousands a year on property taxes.

Ryan really looked sore that he didn't get the deal -- "did you already hire someone else?"  "so this is a firing!"  So maybe this wasn't just a TV deal.  I remember an article from a couple of years ago that Frederick and Ryan to a lesser extent work with developers while the project is still in the building or even development stage to shape the properties for the current market.  I guess Ryan tried to do that with this building, coming up with suggestions and then trying these stunts like the hawk and putting together videos.  Yet in the end he gets some crumbs.

This is also the developer who said a couple of episodes again that they might not continue to build because of uncertainty about the election.  Well he planned it when the previous guy was in the  WH and now a new guy is in the WH so he built it anyways?

That line was BS then all along.  He had spent hundreds of millions already so he wasn't going to not complete it, not get a chance to make money off it.  But I wonder how common it is for developers to turn a big complex all into rentals, after planning to sell multimillion dollar apartments.

If they were filming the season now, the NYC high-end real estate market might have turned because the stock market is a lot higher than even last year, when it was at all-time highs.  So there should be more buyers flush with stock market money these days.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

If you can afford a $4 million dollar condo, it seems to me that you can afford to go buy your own Tiffany safe. That request seemed a bit ridiculous, but the request to re-paint did not. The vast majority of buyers will not want those vivid designs or wallpaper in their house. It seemed like they should’ve seen that request coming (if they did not). I also thought it was funny that Tyler was so unhappy by that lowball offer when he lowballed Fredrik’s condo by a much bigger amount. Regardless, I do like how Tyler deals with his clients.  

It sucks for Ryan to lose out on that building, but does he really want to rent? I thought a few years ago, he was asked to rent out a building and wasn’t super happy. Maybe I’m misremembering though.

Fredrik was a bit less over the top in this episode, which was a relief. In non- episode news, I saw on Instagram that he and Derek are moving again, and I’m curious as to where. I’m not sure if they owned or rented their house in LA, but it’s rather spectacular from the photos (and the rent is like $65k, so it better be!). 

I still like Kirsten and generally enjoy her segments.

• Love 4

what exactly is KJ's office?  Its like an inlaw kitchen with a back alley entrance?

Poor Ryan - I felt his pain in the $80MM commission loss 

Poor Tyler was all ready to sign the lease on his $12.5k/month apartment and then Florida girl calls and takes his $185k commission off the market and Tyler leaves without signing.  I felt that too.  LOL 

• Love 2
(edited)

Fredrik didn’t annoy me as much this last episode. I did like the apartments he was showing tho.

Tyler still annoys me tho. He seems like a douche to me. Like he thinks he’s better then ppl. I don’t know why I think this lol. His client was really annoying too.

I doubt Fredrik was actually staying at that place tho.

I don’t like Steve’s place he was selling.. Not a fan of the house it’s kind of basic and being out in the middle of nowhere creeps me out.

Edited by Marley
4 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

what exactly is KJ's office?  Its like an inlaw kitchen with a back alley entrance?

Poor Ryan - I felt his pain in the $80MM commission loss 

Poor Tyler was all ready to sign the lease on his $12.5k/month apartment and then Florida girl calls and takes his $185k commission off the market and Tyler leaves without signing.  I felt that too.  LOL 

I was wondering about the office, too. I thought it was a house but it had a sign. Then I thought she lives in a high rise. At least, that’s the impression I got when they do the B roll of her cute kids taking over her house while she makes million dollar deals. LOL!!! The house with the courtyard is beautiful but I’m not really sure if it is a main residence or just an office with a beautiful kitchen. 

• Love 1

I just loved last night's episode.  I hope the charity finds a donor!  I felt Frederick's wheel's turning when they told him they lost funding....I feel he had an internal debate if he should be the "financer" dude.  His solution was a pretty good one too.  

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I just loved last night's episode. 

Me too.

What a great legacy to leave from Bea Arthur.  Even after she's gone, she's still helping people in profound ways.

10 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I felt Frederick's wheel's turning when they told him they lost funding....

Hello!  Go to Andy Cohen and his friends Anderson Cooper and Kelly Ripa, surely all three could fund that project!

• Love 8
On 7/30/2021 at 8:18 AM, TV Diva Queen said:

I just loved last night's episode.  I hope the charity finds a donor!  I felt Frederick's wheel's turning when they told him they lost funding....I feel he had an internal debate if he should be the "financer" dude.  His solution was a pretty good one too.  

Yeah, he had that look about him like he wanted to write them a check right then and there!  Who knows, he might just find a donor for them and kick in a cool million on his own!  That home was stunning.  I love all of the original features of the home.  That's the kind of properties I enjoy seeing with this show. 

• Love 8