Type keyword(s) to search

Felicity Smoak: Bitch With Wifi

• Start Topic

That would be me. And sure seems that way. but we've only seen a few pics and a snap of a scene.

Also CR is 46.. Felicity is.. what, 25ish? I think we can place a safe bet on Mama Smoak being a teenage mom.

haha considering John Barrowman is 47 and Paul Blackthorne is 45 and I'm pretty sure they aren't teen parents, I don't think it's that much of a safe bet. 

Sometimes I wish that Arrow was more than 40 minutes long because then we would get Felicity branching out AND Felicity dealing with Team Arrow. Unfortunately this simply isn't the case so we have to choose one or the other because there are a lot of other subplots that Arrow deals with as well. Do we want Felicity to grow independently or do we want to see her interact more with Team Arrow? I wish I could say both... I really, really do. 

I will always end up choosing to want Felicity to grow independently. I want to see her without the burden of "who is Felicity Smoak going to date next?" I want to see Felicity outside of Team Arrow and outside of her relationship with Oliver because the last thing I ever want to hear is that "Felicity only pines for Oliver and is the tech nerd of the team" (which I've seen all over the internet and does nothing but make me rage). And even though seeing her detached from Team Arrow makes me anxious, I'm SO GLAD that the writers have been developing Felicity's character. I only hope that they continue this and NOT burden her growth with romantic relationships (Ray Palmer). I don't say this because I support O/F. I say this because I support Felicity. I don't want to see her be a character that's just treated like JUST the love interest. Granted, for the past two years that's exactly the opposite of how the writers have treated her, but now that she's more in the center stage as the lead's love interest, I don't want to see the writers devolve her into that... Although I wonder if it's possible to do so considering how much of an asset Felicity is and how important she is to the main characters on the show (bar Laurel, Quentin, Thea, and Malcolm). But then again, I wouldn't put it past the writers to make this happen. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 5

Sometimes I wish that Arrow was more than 40 minutes long because then we would get Felicity branching out AND Felicity dealing with Team Arrow. Unfortunately this simply isn't the case so we have to choose one or the other because there are a lot of other subplots that Arrow deals with as well. Do we want Felicity to grow independently or do we want to see her interact more with Team Arrow? I wish I could say both... I really, really do. 

I will always end up choosing to want Felicity to grow independently. I want to see her without the burden of "who is Felicity Smoak going to date next?" I want to see Felicity outside of Team Arrow and outside of her relationship with Oliver because the last thing I ever want to hear is that Felicity only pines for Oliver and is the tech nerd of the team (which I've seen all over the internet and does nothing but make me rage). And even though seeing her detached from Team Arrow makes me anxious, I'm SO GLAD that the writers have been developing Felicity's character. I only hope that they continue this and NOT burden her growth with romantic relationships (Ray Palmer). I don't say this because I support O/F. I say this because I support Felicity. I don't want to see her be a character that's just treated like JUST the love interest. Granted, for the past two years that's exactly the opposite of how the writers have treated her, but now that she's more in the center stage as the lead's love interest, I don't want to see the writers devolve her into that character into that... Although I wonder if it's possible to do so considering how much of an asset Felicity is and how important she is to the main characters on the show (bar Laurel, Quentin, Thea, and Malcolm). But then again, I wouldn't put it past the writers to make this happen. 

Yes to all of this!

It's been so annoying to not have the interactions, but at the same time, they are developing her separate from Oliver for the first time. She's got a separate job away from him. She went away.  I think we'll be able to tell a lot how they will handle things with this next ep.

But I also think she's getting her own villain, basically, and that Palmer chose her because of her association with maybe!cooper. This is big. This is huge.

Its so hard to be patient.  But man, the excitement to ACTUALLY KNOW something about Felicity.  So READY.  

• Love 1

I'm really excited for this week's episode. I hope it's good.  305 and 108 x 308 are the only episodes I'm watching this season (after the crap fest of 301).   I'm looking forward to the Felicity flashbacks, Mama Smoak and the Villain of the Week.  

• Love 4

When The Flash was picked up last season, Maureen Ryan wrote that they need to clone Felicity so she can be on both shows.  I read at least one other review saying that after Going Rogue.

I tweeted MG that I'm so excited to learn about Felicity at last.  Just in case social media matters.

I will always end up choosing to want Felicity to grow independently. I want to see her without the burden of "who is Felicity Smoak going to date next?" I want to see Felicity outside of Team Arrow and outside of her relationship with Oliver because the last thing I ever want to hear is that "Felicity only pines for Oliver and is the tech nerd of the team" (which I've seen all over the internet and does nothing but make me rage).

For some people that will always be where she starts and stops.  She doesn't fight, she's not going to wear a costume, so she's always going to be scenery for them.

Tant a pis.  (So much the worse for them)

I was thinking about Felicity's poignant comment to Barry about "the quiet dreams you keep to yourself" and just feeling so sad for where she's at right now.  Felicity has always been such an up-beat, hopeful character.  She obviously thinks about her future, and over the summer her "quiet dreams" seem to have included several aspects: 1) she wanted to go back and work at QC, and it's quite probable that she was the one who persuaded Oliver to try to get the company back; 2) she likes making a difference and believes in Team Arrow's crusade; and 3) Oliver's "I love you" and the blatant flirting they were doing must have given her hope that they might get together at some point.  She was okay with waiting for some of these good things (and putting up with a rubbish job and no love life while she waited) because she believed that it was temporary, and that there was hope for better things to come.  

Then, within a couple of really unpleasant days, all three of these "quiet dreams" were unceremoniously shattered.  In particular, Oliver's belief that he was going to die sooner rather than later, was like a bomb detonating in the midst of her hopes for the future.  Without Oliver, she loses not just her romantic hopes, but also her crime-fighting life and her career plans.  So when he said that, she had to go off and reassess her whole life, readjust all her private hopes and dreams, and try to find a new way forward.  She came to the harsh realisation that putting all her eggs in one unreliable, explosive basket was a bad idea.  That's why the opportunity to at least have something that wasn't All About Oliver - a good career and a real life outside the cave - seemed very necessary in that moment, and why she grabbed the opportunity that was being offered her at the moment she needed it.  This way, if she loses Oliver and Team Arrow, at least she'll still have other people in her life, a good job, and a better chance to recover and move on.  

Also, her new job and her visit to Barry are her ways of trying out new possibilities; trying on new dreams for size and seeing whether they suit her.  I'm enjoying watching her journey, wherever it leads.  But note to the writers: it had better lead to Felicity being happy ASAP, because I'm not cool with Felicity having her heart broken!

• Love 18

If the show - as it seems to be - is going in the direction of the Ollie and Laurel Crimefighting Capers hour, please just don't fuck up Felicity.  

Don't put her with Oliver or Ray as a consolation prize to being less important to Team Arrow.  

Don't let Laurel bark orders at her in the lair.  

Don't let her be sad.  

I am so sad and disgusted that I really don't trust these writers/IIC at all to keep this show on the rails after the promotions over the summer and the episodes they've given us so far.  

Sorry, just a little anxious about tonight and needed to vent.  :/ 

Well I really liked that episode.

I FLOVE Mama Smoak.   I didn't know what I would think.   Yes she dresses like life is a lounge and she was a little ditzy but it was VERY clear she loves her daughter a great deal and that was really good to see.   They love each other they just don't really always understand each other.    The scene where Felicity and her mom had that fight was really very relatable.

LOVED Felicity's mother standing up to Cooper, proving that if Felicity needs her she'll always be more than "hair and nails."    I also thought that pre-villain reveal, Felicity and Cooper had really nice chemistry.    And I actually liked Felicity's goth look, though I totally got that after some pretty terrible turns, she decided to "change".

Also loved that Felicity and her Mom parted on really good terms and that they had a chance to make up.   Yea her mother isn't going to be getting her own think tank but she raised a very smart, compassionate daughter.   Felicity did get her "toughness" from her Mother, since she was the one that stuck around.

Also really liked the moment between Oliver and Felicity at the end of the episode.   Wish it had been a little longer show but it was really well done.

• Love 10

It got very dusty when the Smoak ladies hugged and cried in relief after Felicity saved her mom and herself.

If we don't want Donna working at Thea's place (whether it's still Verdant or some other name), maybe Ray can buy a club and Donna could be the manager?  It would be nice to have Charlotte/Donna pop up now and again. She doesn't seem like a helicopter parent, so that would be a refreshing thing. Donna and Quentin representing 'normal' parents for the show!  

• Love 3

I keep imagining the guilt Felicity must have felt when she found out her boyfriend hanged himself before sentencing. Combined with the grief of losing him she must have been devastated and yet she still graduated with a masters (which I think was the same year). The strength of character she has is amazing. I just love her a lot.

• Love 12

Okay, so I'm still trying to pin down a time-line and age for Felicity.  This episode dropped some bread-crumbs on the trail, but things are still a bit murky.  So, am I correct in assuming that students in America get fake IDs in order to buy alcohol, which they have to be 21 to do?  If so, then Felicity wouldn't need a fake ID if she were already 21, ipso facto, she was at most 20 years old 5 years ago.  So we now know that she's at most 25 now.

She also said that that was her senior year, which I'm assuming in American speak means her 4th and final undergraduate year (fitting in with her "MIT Class of '09", though it means that they were flashing back to the first half of 2009, rather than exactly 5 years backwards from now).  That means she must have started college at 16 or 17 years old, so must have skipped a grade or two in school.  She also would have done her masters after her senior undergraduate year, so would have been in college for at least another year after this, meaning she'd only been out of college for at most 2 years when we met her, possibly less.

Another nugget dropped was that her father was still around when Felicity was 6 years old - her mother mentioning that age specifically probably means that was the year her dad bailed on them.

Ah, it's so good to get some actual information on our girl!

• Love 2

I had some friends that did the 5 year bs/masters in 4 years so she could have done something like that too. But yes, she would have to have been 20 or younger to have any need for a fake id.

What I love about that gif is how it looks like someone who hasn't had much training. You can tell she's maybe been taught the basics (bless you Digg!) but it's not perfect. It looks real to me, spurred on by anger/fear/desperation. 

Plus she did it in heels. 

• Love 11

Man, that fake ID line (while funny) really threw off my idea of Felicity's age. I mean, my best friend was 20 when we started our senior/4th year of college, 21 when we graduated. That's not that strange in the US--many regions have kids starting kindergarten when they turn 5 before Jan. 1 of that class year.

But for Felicity to have been 20 only "five" years ago (probably a relative description), makes her 26 now at the oldest. That's two years younger than I thought she was, and it means that she completed what would traditionally be 18-19 years of schooling by the time she was 21. Meaning she skipped at least two years of school in there somewhere, right?

I was looking for some big explanation why Felicity went from goth to who she is now, but it turns out I really liked the simplicity of "this is me now". I don't think it needed any more than that.

• Love 6

The fake ID line does complicate things since this was presumably 5 years ago (this show does love its "five years ago").

MIT actually has a combined undergrad/master's program in computing that takes 5 years.  Felicity said that she was in her senior year, so she would have had one more at MIT and graduated with her masters in 2010, being in the class of 2009 since your class year is usually the one you started in.  She met Oliver in the fall of 2012 so she would have been at QC just over 2 years if she went straight to work after finishing (perhaps dictated by finances).

Poor Mama Smoak, offering to get her fake ID as a way to bond with her daughter.  Felicity could have, and probably did, create her own back in high school with no problem.

Meaning she skipped at least two years of school in there somewhere, right?

I don't think it's that unusual.  Both my brother and I graduated 2 years earlier, he because he started early and then skipped a year and me because I was bored and skipped two.  I can see a 7 year old Felicity bored in school and the teacher frustrated because she doesn't know what to do with her so the principal puts her into the next grade. And then in high school, she takes courses over the summer and does four years in three.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3

I was looking for some big explanation why Felicity went from goth to who she is now, but it turns out I really liked the simplicity of "this is me now". I don't think it needed any more than that.

I thought it was neat too.

But if you wanna add a little bit of meaning to it: sure it was just an Easter Egg, but Goth Felicity was basically dressing like Death from the Sandman comics. Boyfriend kills himself in prison, she doesn't want to dress like Death anymore. Doesn't even have to be that in-show Felicity was a Sandman fan or anything, but for the audience? The symbolism is right there.

• Love 7

Regarding the ID: some colleges have an early start option where students with high GPA's start their freshman year at 17 rather than 18- my school has such an option. I forgot the name of it though. quite possible Felicity did a similar thing.

Also.. am i mistaken, but I thought Felicity said that Cooper died in her senior year, but there was no mentions on what year she was when the hacking took place. it could have also happened in her junior year if she started at 18. but i watched the episode really late so i can't remember well.

Felicity Smoak: MIT, Class of 09.

Bitch with Wi-Fi.

Hottest Goth Girl with to die for purple lipstick

Runs out of expletives under stress.

I think people should be more afraid of her than any Green Arrow or Dark Archer or Deathstroke, she is a BAMF packaged like a tiny little cupcake made of sunshine.

• Love 10

Next Felicity centric episode I would like to see flashbacks of a 6 year old Felicity and her father leaving her. I want mama Smoak to come back as well as have Felicity's father be revealed. I'd actually really like her father to be connected to the DC world. Maybe a villain? And Felicity will have to take him down using her mind considering he's super intelligent as well? Maybe make it like a big chess game where it's all moves and countermoves (Felicity vs. her father). I think that would be exhilarating :p

• Love 2

Felicity Smoak: MIT, Class of 09.

Bitch with Wi-Fi.

Hottest Goth Girl with to die for purple lipstick

Runs out of expletives under stress.

Knows at least 2 billionaires.

Stabbed Deathstroke and lived to tell about it.

• Love 1

I need a deleted scene from towards the end with Mama Smoak and Felicity going through Felicity's closet.  Mama Smoak would be so happy to see all those boob dresses and designer stilettos and realize there is more of her in Felicity than she thought.   

• Love 9

No wonder Felicity is a bit gun shy about losing the men in her life: 

First, when she's 6, her father just suddenly ups and leaves with no explanation, never to be seen again.  

Then, for five years she lived with the burden of believing that her first love committed suicide (for which she felt partly responsible), only to now discover that he just let her believe he was dead, when he could have contacted her and let her know what had happened at any time.  What a betrayal!  We know she can be trusted with secrets, so how could he have let her suffer needlessly like that?  There's no way the NSA could have prevented a gifted hacker from contacting another gifted hacker if he'd wanted to, but he never did.  Bastard.  (I'm not even going to touch on the whole kidnapping her and her Mom and trying to kill them thing.  Too much, show, too much.)

Then she liked Barry and he was immediately struck by lightning and went into a coma for 9 months.  (And then didn't bother to let her know when he came out of it - granted, he's had a lot on his mind, but still... rude!  He tells Oliver, who he's not sure he even likes, but not Felicity, the superhero whisperer and his friend?  What's up with that, Barry?  You have failed this Felicity.)

And now she has "I can't be with you because I'm going to die down here (soonish)" Oliver Queen...  Talk about a raw deal.

There's also added poignancy to her desire to find Walter when he was kidnapped.  The men in Felicity's life always disappear, but she's not willing to just let it happen without a fight.

• Love 18

Man, that fake ID line (while funny) really threw off my idea of Felicity's age. I mean, my best friend was 20 when we started our senior/4th year of college, 21 when we graduated. That's not that strange in the US--many regions have kids starting kindergarten when they turn 5 before Jan. 1 of that class year.

But for Felicity to have been 20 only "five" years ago (probably a relative description), makes her 26 now at the oldest. That's two years younger than I thought she was, and it means that she completed what would traditionally be 18-19 years of schooling by the time she was 21. Meaning she skipped at least two years of school in there somewhere, right?

The character bio released for S2 had her at 25 so I think 26 is correct. I try not to think about it too much because this show doesn't pay attention to details.

I really enjoyed this episode, loved everything about MIT Felicity, and Felicity/Mom dynamic. The characters and character interaction was wonderful. I loved Felicity's realization that she gets her strength from Mama Smoak but I wish they acknowledged more. I would say Felicity gets her strength, courage and loving nature from Mama Smoak.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed this episode, loved everything about MIT Felicity, and Felicity/Mom dynamic. The characters and character interaction was wonderful. I loved Felicity's realization that she gets her strength from Mama Smoak but I wish they acknowledged more. I would say Felicity gets her strength, courage and loving nature from Mama Smoak.

This.  Little details in the episode were wonderful.   When they were kidnapped and the hoods were removed from their heads the first words out of Donna's mouth were "Felicity, baby are you ok?" and when Felicity nodded yes, Donna said "Thank God."   Donna seemed like she could be quite vague and flighty but she loves her daughter and I never doubted that for a moment.   And she doesn't understand everything about Felicity's life or her interest but she doesn't just love her daughter, she seemed very proud of her.

And though it was inappropriate, I had a big smile on my face when Felicity took the rest of the day off to spend some time with her mother at the end of the episode.   And Donna tearing up when she realized that her daughter held her in high regard and acknowledged how Donna was always there.  

Just really nice character beats.  I've loved Felicity for some time now, but I ended up REALLY liking Donna Smoak as well.

• Love 6

I don't think ray cares if felicity takes days off if she can do impossible things when he needs them. And If he can show up randomly to jabber. That is why she was hired, not to work the front desk. She probably can flex her time all she likes.

Loves this episode and felicity so much. It explained quite a lot about her in a short time so bravo.

• Love 5

And though it was inappropriate, I had a big smile on my face when Felicity took the rest of the day off to spend some time with her mother at the end of the episode.   And Donna tearing up when she realized that her daughter held her in high regard and acknowledged how Donna was always there. 

I did too, although I didn't think there was anything inappropriate about it. I'm actually surprised Felicity showed up for work at all the morning after she and her mother were kidnapped and had their lives threatened. I know that's just an average Tuesday for Felicity at this point, but I wouldn't have blamed her for not going in at all. I've certainly stayed home for less, LOL.

• Love 3

That's what I was just going to post KenyaJ.  If anyone EVER needed a mental health day, it was Felicity on that day.  Girl had the worst day ever.  

There was one moment at the very beginning that made me just absolutely love Charlotte Ross as an actress and as Felicity's mother.  It was when she first walked in and was so excited and Felicity wasn't.  At one point, Mama's face just fell and she looked so sad because she knew, without Felicity even saying anything overtly, that she wasn't really welcome.  But she immediately tried to look happy again, just like our Felicity does.

It was a split second thing and I couldn't even tell you exactly when it happened.  I need to rewatch.  But, I did that to my mom many times when I was Felicity's age and saw that same look.  Unlike Felicity, I am a horrible person and didn't realize how much it hurt my mom until she had Alzheimer's and we actually talked & remembered our lives.

Edited by JenMcSnark
  • Love 13

Yeah, this is one of the reasons I love this show, despite its missteps and blind spots and flaws. It often gets these relationship dynamics right. Another great mother/child moment was last season--Moira crying to Oliver about how for five years she woke up every morning as the mother whose son had died, and how she couldn't go through that again; how as a mother you worry about how the outside world will hurt your children, never thinking about how you could hurt them. My throat just kind of closed up at that scene. This is the kind of drama I appreciate--things that feel natural and real, and spring from an authentic place.

Anyway, Donna Smoak couldn't possibly be more different from my mom, but their conflict felt a little too close to home anyway because it's just kind of universal. It was smart to make Donna SO lovable and sunny, because Felicity being dismissive and judgmental of her put you on Donna's side, when we are so used to being on Felicity's. Not that I wasn't also on Felicity's, but it hurt to see her hurt Donna like that. That's why this episode worked, despite a weak villain. Because that Brother Eye business was just a framework so we could get a deeper understanding of Felicity, and so that she could show some growth.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 11

I want Felicity to be part of Arrow until the final scene of the last episode but after that, I can see EBR with her own show.  Maybe they should do a reboot of Bewitched so she can bring a little Felicity to Samantha?

• Love 1

There's also added poignancy to her desire to find Walter when he was kidnapped.  The men in Felicity's life always disappear, but she's not willing to just let it happen without a fight.

This is why I love the character of Felicity.  She always fights until the very end, and if the fight is lost, she regroups and moves on, as she did when she thought Cooper had committed suicide.

When things go bad, Laurel embraces the darkness and uses it to motivate her. Felicity embraces the light and uses the bad time to make changes for the better. This is why I find her story so much more interesting than Laurel's.

That's what I was just going to post KenyaJ.  If anyone EVER needed a mental health day, it was Felicity on that day.  Girl had the worst day ever.  

Do you think Ray found out that she had been kidnapped, since she didn't go it to work at all that day?

• Love 2

Well, if he's as stalkeriffic as people think, he probably knew.  I, however, just think he took one look at her and saw a girl on the edge who basically needed time with her mommy.  EBR did a good job of conveying that she was a bit of a wreck if I remember correctly.  Didn't her voice even shake a little at the end there?

I want Felicity to be part of Arrow until the final scene of the last episode but after that, I can see EBR with her own show.  Maybe they should do a reboot of Bewitched so she can bring a little Felicity to Samantha?

Funny you mentioned it - they are rebooting Bewitched, but in the future with a grand daughter or something.  That said, while I am really looking forward to what EBR does in the future, I am so attached to the character of Felicity I don't want to lose that quite yet.

• Love 1

The fake ID being connected to the drinking age does make the most sense but technically there could be use for a fake ID even older than 21, like to rent a car and say maybe visit her dear mother more often?

As for when she started school, yeah, a lot of schools have the Post Secondary Options program. I was able to do my senior year of high school and my freshman year of college at the same time (and the district had to pay for it) and had I known about the program earlier, I actually could have done it for both my junior and senior year and I wasn't some kind of brainiac.

One way or another, the timeline is very interesting. It makes a lot more sense now why Felicity at the start of the show might still be officially "just an IT girl". Two years out of school but given the job market, she might not have been at Queen Consolidated very long at all. Overqualified but no real world experience does a huge number on a resume. It's not inconceivable that she would have grabbed a job that let her get her foot in the door even if it was beneath her skill set.

• Love 3

One way or another, the timeline is very interesting. It makes a lot more sense now why Felicity at the start of the show might still be officially "just an IT girl". Two years out of school but given the job market, she might not have been at Queen Consolidated very long at all. Overqualified but no real world experience does a huge number on a resume. It's not inconceivable that she would have grabbed a job that let her get her foot in the door even if it was beneath her skill set.

Also, let's not forget that (if Oliver didn't lie outright during their first meeting), other IT people directed him to Felicity because she was the best. So, even if she was at QC for a short time, she still let herself be known as a miracle worker.

For some reason (maybe I was distracted during the scene) I thought the call was Mamma Smoak complaining SHE needed a fake ID and Felicity wouldn't get/make one for her. I know that doesn't make any sense but there you go.

For some reason (maybe I was distracted during the scene) I thought the call was Mamma Smoak complaining SHE needed a fake ID and Felicity wouldn't get/make one for her. I know that doesn't make any sense but there you go.

Haha, that would open up a few doors of interesting possibilities.

Felicity said she wasn't interested in buying a fake ID, so I think we're supposed to assume it was for her.

Also let's not forget that it appears by the last shot of her in her MIT days, post transformation, one can argue that she may went and searched for a low level IT position in order to blend in, and to try and stay clear of her shady dealings. her past also helps us understand why, at first, she was only willing to help find Walter and then be done with it.

Than waltzed in Oliver.

which to that I say: You can hide who you are behind a mask, but in the end- the mask always falls and reveals your true self to the world.

FYI this doubles for Oliver too. Speaking of Identities=true self this season.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 4

I think if they ever bring back Felicity's stalker he should be played by Bob Morley (The100). He is kinda obsessed with her anyway.

Or he should have played Cooper. That would work too.

There has been a lot of references to stalking this season, especially with regards to Felicity. I know she mentioned in s2 that she had that Lacrosse player who stalked her in college but she also said she had dealt with stalkers before in 301 when talking to Ray and then her mom said something about her having to stalk her own daughter. Plus Ray actually stalked her. Is this foreshadowing?! I need to know!