Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

Isn’t that the one where Kyle Richards is playing someone else (i.e. not Alicia)?

Talking about Pa and Ma and their possible flirtations with the Widow Thurman and Buck Rogers, ahem, Chris, reminded me of how much I wanted to smack PrissPot Mary for being a huge hypocrite. She conveniently forgot about her anti-cheating stance when she was swanning around with Ass Cass at the fair. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Isn’t that the one where Kyle Richards is playing someone else (i.e. not Alicia)?

Talking about Pa and Ma and their possible flirtations with the Widow Thurman and Buck Rogers, ahem, Chris, reminded me of how much I wanted to smack PrissPot Mary for being a huge hypocrite. She conveniently forgot about her anti-cheating stance when she was swanning around with Ass Cass at the fair. 

Her mom couldn't be nice to a handyman but her dad could visit clandestinely in part, a beautiful widow and have Mary spying etc. No one ever learns lessons on this show, they just repeat behavior.  If she ever said half of what she said to her mom to him.....she might have found herself out in the sod house. lol  I think Mary broke all those dishes washing them on purpose. 😉

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Ok, in honor of the season and this special year, I'm starting to watch "The Godsister" right now. Let's see how far in I can get. An hour and a half with commercials. 

Just remember twins did not write that dribble or direct it.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, debraran said:

Just remember twins did not write that dribble or direct it.

I forgot they were twins, and that's why there were two of them! With all due respect, they are not great actresses, bad material not withstanding. 

Actually, the Charles story isn't that bad. It's the weird Carrie dream stuff. 

After all that build-up, it really wasn't that bad an episode. I hadn't seen it since about 1985; I guess I remembered it different. I'm pretty sure the episodes were cut when they showed them back then, and this was a long episode. I don't remember any of the Charles & Garvey build the telephone lines (featuring Dolph Sweet!) and I wonder if most of it was cut out when I first saw it. 

The Carrie fantasy stuff was pretty bad, but only part of the episode. 

1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

It would be cool if we all did a LHOP watch along. Like go to discord or something and do a chat

I did as much of a live chat as I could. We could do one here if we all set a time. 

• Love 1

A few days ago I watched the end of the wild dog one, which was pretty scary.  Also random question, in the episode they leave to go to Wanoka (I know I spelled this wrong), in the church, there is a man sitting near the back who looked like the actor who lived in the boarding house in the last season?  

• Love 1

I never could have made it through the winter time back then

Stuck inside with the whole family in a little cabin. There would have been nothing to do beside splaying checkers or chess

Edited by jason88cubs
  • Love 3

On Saturday morning I watched the fire episode.  I had seen part 2 of it a bunch of times, but it had been a while since I saw the first part,  I did not remember the parts with the dead bodies.

I watched the Inheritance episode a few hours ago and was really annoyed that the town bailed Charles out. I know the show sets it up like poor pitiful Charles got roped into spending like an idiot because of the town, but he's still the dumbass who made the promises. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I never could have made it through the winter time back then

Stuck inside with the whole family in a little cabin. There would have been nothing to do beside splaying checkers or chess

I thought of that younger and then after I had kids, thought of going to the bathroom in bad weather or having kids vomiting or having diarreah without an indoor potty. How did they clean diapers when it wasn't "wash day?" They showed Laura once take a dirty diaper from Almonzo after a bad joke about it not "smelling like a Rose" and she took it outside. Hopefully didn't put it in creek but did they discard waste and store dirty diaper in a bucket? Things I just don't want to think about. I know I read harsh soaps back then gave kids diaper rashes, maybe an incentive to to to outhouse early. They experimented with different things but no fancy "Ivory" or other brands available.

In the books, they did have magazines come sometimes and they would read them slowly to have them last. Too bad libraries didn't donate books to small towns so the kids had novels to read besides what they had in school. Occasionally you'd see them have a real book, even Charles but not often.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, debraran said:

thought of that younger and then after I had kids, thought of going to the bathroom in bad weather or having kids vomiting or having diarreah without an indoor potty. How did they clean diapers when it wasn't "wash day?"

I think back then when you had a baby, every day was "wash day."  

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Zella said:

I watched the Inheritance episode a few hours ago and was really annoyed that the town bailed Charles out. I know the show sets it up like poor pitiful Charles got roped into spending like an idiot because of the town, but he's still the dumbass who made the promises. 

I hate that episode.  I kind of disagree...he tried to tell everyone he didn’t have the money, and I never understood why the Olesons stuff especially was an issue, as Nels basically pushed him into it, and he should have been able to return items.  Lastly, the church organ was for everyone to enjoy, and someone should have offered to help versus having Charles be solely responsible.  It was the Reverend who asked for it.  No one bothered to try to help or think of a way to cover the items they all wanted so bad.  

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, alexa said:

I hate that episode.  I kind of disagree...he tried to tell everyone he didn’t have the money, and I never understood why the Olesons stuff especially was an issue, as Nels basically pushed him into it, and he should have been able to return items.  Lastly, the church organ was for everyone to enjoy, and someone should have offered to help versus having Charles be solely responsible.  It was the Reverend who asked for it.  No one bothered to try to help or think of a way to cover the items they all wanted so bad.  

The organ was very expensive and a luxury.  Nels could have given them his piano ( after hearing Nellie play) 😊I cant see anyone paying for that beck them. In reality I read 800 average price 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, alexa said:

I'm just getting really tired of Pa's sanctimonious martyr complex. In which he is never wrong. Jonathan's line at the end--you didn't change, but we did--really set me off. Because Pa apparently is exempt from any personal responsibility despite him demanding it from other people. Laura also gets a lot of special pleading from the show, which I find equally as irritating. 

Edited by Zella
6 hours ago, debraran said:

I thought of that younger and then after I had kids, thought of going to the bathroom in bad weather or having kids vomiting or having diarreah without an indoor potty. How did they clean diapers when it wasn't "wash day?" They showed Laura once take a dirty diaper from Almonzo after a bad joke about it not "smelling like a Rose" and she took it outside. Hopefully didn't put it in creek but did they discard waste and store dirty diaper in a bucket? Things I just don't want to think about. I know I read harsh soaps back then gave kids diaper rashes, maybe an incentive to to to outhouse early. They experimented with different things but no fancy "Ivory" or other brands available.

In the books, they did have magazines come sometimes and they would read them slowly to have them last. Too bad libraries didn't donate books to small towns so the kids had novels to read besides what they had in school. Occasionally you'd see them have a real book, even Charles but not often.

Public libraries were in their infancy back then and also more likely to be back east, so I'm not sure that would really be a viable option. (Where I live, we didn't get public libraries until the 20th century, though it seems like some local schoolteachers had libraries before there was a public one. This is still early 1900s, though, that the teachers were doing their own library, and we were established in the mid 1800s. I work at one of those libraries now, and we still have some very elderly patrons who remember what it was like before there was a library. I don't think that is unusual for small towns west of the Mississippi.) Subscription libraries were a thing in the 1800s--in which you had to pay to be a member--but I'm not sure anyone in Walnut Grove besides the Olesons would have had the disposable income for it. (I assume the good doctor would have been interested, but I think his stockpile of food he had been paid with wouldn't count for a fee.)

I've been reading the books and am currently on The Long Winter. They received magazines from Reverend Alden via a church after they moved to Dakota Territory, so maybe the best bet for Walnut Grove would have been something similar--donations from a more well-to-do church in Minnesota. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I'm always torn about the "Child Had No Name" episode. Is it worth it re-watching Laura be a total bitch to Doc Baker for 45 minutes in order to get to the ending where she apologizes? 

Edited by VCRTracking
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I'm always torn about the "Child Had No Name" episode. Is it worth it re-watching Laura be a total bitch to Doc Baker for 45 minutes in order to get to the ending where she apologizes? 

I'll usually skip it, but I'll skip most of the 9th season episodes. 

• Love 2

Serious question, how did someone like miss Beadle bathe? Just curious. Because I dont recall seeing a barn at her area where she could be in privacy, or would they have a small little building they would go to?

I cant imagine tryint o sit there and take a bath outside in 15 degree weather. Good gosh

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

Serious question, how did someone like miss Beadle bathe? Just curious. Because I dont recall seeing a barn at her area where she could be in privacy, or would they have a small little building they would go to?

I cant imagine tryint o sit there and take a bath outside in 15 degree weather. Good gosh

Not often, this article explains it simply and I'm sure it varied. The not ever brushing teeth though must have caused some issues for sure. In real life Charles would hang his dirty clothes up for the next day of dirty work which makes sense but "hold nose" I'm sure Charles being Charles hung his outside. ; )

People in today’s society often bathe once a day. However, in colonial America, people did not have indoor plumbing and running water, which are standard in the typical American household of today. To bathe, colonists had to pump water from a well into a large vessel and then heat it over the fire. After heating the water, it had to be transferred to a portable bathtub, often made of wood. Colonists stored their bathtubs elsewhere and brought them into the house at bath time to bathe by the hearth. Often, the entire family would take turns bathing in the same tub of water. The people made their own soap, or they used no soap at all.

Historians surmise that many colonists bathed only a few times in a year, although they probably washed their hands and faces more often. Bathing during the winter was very rare due to the extremely cold temperatures. A colonist’s social status did not seem to have a bearing on the frequency of bathing, as wealthy and poor people probably bathed about the same number of times in a year. Wealthy people had larger wardrobes, though, so they may have seemed cleaner and smelled more pleasant. Working-class people rarely changed their clothes, and most lower-income people usually had one outfit for workdays and one outfit for Sunday.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Superclam said:

I'll usually skip it, but I'll skip most of the 9th season episodes. 

I wonder because it was such a late season episode did the writers think they could fool viewers into thinking he might actually leave town? We're definitely meant to be like "What the hell Laura" and not take her side.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, debraran said:

Not often, this article explains it simply and I'm sure it varied. The not ever brushing teeth though must have caused some issues for sure. In real life Charles would hang his dirty clothes up for the next day of dirty work which makes sense but "hold nose" I'm sure Charles being Charles hung his outside. ; )

People in today’s society often bathe once a day. However, in colonial America, people did not have indoor plumbing and running water, which are standard in the typical American household of today. To bathe, colonists had to pump water from a well into a large vessel and then heat it over the fire. After heating the water, it had to be transferred to a portable bathtub, often made of wood. Colonists stored their bathtubs elsewhere and brought them into the house at bath time to bathe by the hearth. Often, the entire family would take turns bathing in the same tub of water. The people made their own soap, or they used no soap at all.

Historians surmise that many colonists bathed only a few times in a year, although they probably washed their hands and faces more often. Bathing during the winter was very rare due to the extremely cold temperatures. A colonist’s social status did not seem to have a bearing on the frequency of bathing, as wealthy and poor people probably bathed about the same number of times in a year. Wealthy people had larger wardrobes, though, so they may have seemed cleaner and smelled more pleasant. Working-class people rarely changed their clothes, and most lower-income people usually had one outfit for workdays and one outfit for Sunday.

wow. I cant even imagine. If i go 2 days I feel gross

Edited by jason88cubs
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

wow. I cant even imagine. If i go 2 days I feel gross

I don't understand why people romanticize the time. Harsh weather, harsh soaps and no hot water unless you made it,  no medicines to speak of, penicillin etc , no toothpaste or deodorant (perfumes didn't work) . As a woman I would miss my hygienic ways of cleaning myself and not being able to wash vomit or other smelly excrement from your kids and yourself, not pleasant.  I was surprised to learn composting came much later, seems like it would have helped a lot if they figured out sawdust and a bucket could bring toilet indoors and compost for later with less smell. I read urine was left on diapers with thoughts it would help the skin but later they learned not so. I think they just tired of washing them!

I like the community LHOP shows, but would never give up modern medicine, clean water (for most) and more hygienic and kinder ways of treating our bodies 

Another excerpt on diapers with LHOP reference:

Although it offends modern sensibilities (and noses), urine was thought to be useful as both a disinfectant and stain remover (thanks to the ammonia). Our ancestors felt no sense of urgency about laundering a wet diaper. The smell of dirty diapers drying by the fireplace wasn’t too pleasant in the winter, but I’m sure the family just accepted it as a necessary reality. And I’m pretty sure it prompted mothers to encourage early potty-training! Young children, no matter their gender, wore gowns that opened at the bottom for frequent, easy changes.

Soiled diapers would be scraped, rinsed and set aside for washing.

Getting any type of laundry clean in the old days was a chore. After heating large amounts of water (on a stove or open fire) that had to be lugged from a well or spring in big buckets, clothes were sorted into piles. Then the long process of scrubbing and rinsing commenced, and lye soap was not kind to your hands.

Although upper-class women would have had the benefit of housemaids to relieve them of the task of diaper laundry, the process was still virtually the same no matter who was doing it. But it was not uncommon for even a mother of poor or modest means to hire a local girl or woman to help out when a new baby arrived. Famed author Laura Ingalls Wilder did this when Rose was born on the Dakota prairie.

An understanding husband could help with the washing, too, in

Edited by debraran
1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

Serious question, how did someone like miss Beadle bathe?

She most likely had a tin bath basin and heated the water over a fire.   Maybe in the warmer months she took a "swim" bath down at the swimming hole.   Other than that she most surely slapped on plenty of Lemon Verbena.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, debraran said:

I don't understand why people romanticize the time. Harsh weather, harsh soaps and no hot water unless you made it,  no medicines to speak of, penicillin etc , no toothpaste or deodorant (perfumes didn't work) . As a woman I would miss my hygienic ways of cleaning myself and not being able to wash vomit or other smelly excrement from your kids and yourself, not pleasant.  I was surprised to learn composting came much later, seems like it would have helped a lot if they figured out sawdust and a bucket could bring toilet indoors and compost for later with less smell. I read urine was left on diapers with thoughts it would help the skin but later they learned not so. I think they just tired of washing them!

I like the community LHOP shows, but would never give up modern medicine, clean water (for most) and more hygienic and kinder ways of treating our bodies 

Another excerpt on diapers with LHOP reference:

Although it offends modern sensibilities (and noses), urine was thought to be useful as both a disinfectant and stain remover (thanks to the ammonia). Our ancestors felt no sense of urgency about laundering a wet diaper. The smell of dirty diapers drying by the fireplace wasn’t too pleasant in the winter, but I’m sure the family just accepted it as a necessary reality. And I’m pretty sure it prompted mothers to encourage early potty-training! Young children, no matter their gender, wore gowns that opened at the bottom for frequent, easy changes.

Soiled diapers would be scraped, rinsed and set aside for washing.

Getting any type of laundry clean in the old days was a chore. After heating large amounts of water (on a stove or open fire) that had to be lugged from a well or spring in big buckets, clothes were sorted into piles. Then the long process of scrubbing and rinsing commenced, and lye soap was not kind to your hands.

Although upper-class women would have had the benefit of housemaids to relieve them of the task of diaper laundry, the process was still virtually the same no matter who was doing it. But it was not uncommon for even a mother of poor or modest means to hire a local girl or woman to help out when a new baby arrived. Famed author Laura Ingalls Wilder did this when Rose was born on the Dakota prairie.

An understanding husband could help with the washing, too, in

where did you find this article?

I didn't know what they used to do with diapers back in those days! Interesting. (But disgusting!) 

2 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

She most likely had a tin bath basin and heated the water over a fire.   Maybe in the warmer months she took a "swim" bath down at the swimming hole.   Other than that she most surely slapped on plenty of Lemon Verbena.

Yeah I think it was pretty common to set the tub up in the kitchen near where the water could be heated. That's what my older relatives did before they had running water. If she had shared quarters--I can't remember what her place looks like--then she'd probably just set the tub up in her room and then the hot water would have to be carried there. I don't think anyone would have been bathing outdoors in Minnesota in 15 degree weather in the 1800s, though I don't know that she'd be having a weekly bath indoors either. I'd think the barn would be way too cold for the tub too. 

When I think of the 1800s and bathing, I always think of Will Penny's defense of his bathing regimen. 

"Mr. Penny, how often do you bathe?"

"8 or 9 times."

"8 or 9 times a month?"

"8 or 9 times a month? A year! . . . That's as much as anybody!" 

His schedule included 1 or 2 in winter, if you didn't catch your death of cold. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

Crazy in how such a short span, they added baby Grace, Mary got blind, became a part time character, they moved to Winoka, added ALbert

ALmost like a reboot

Its crazy when old shows changed their location. Laverne & Shirley moving from Milwaukee to Hollywood, I Love Lucy moving from New York City to Connecticut, Gimme a Break moving from California to NYC. LHOTP is even crazier for doing it for only one season and then moving back!

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Its crazy when old shows changed their location. Laverne & Shirley moving from Milwaukee to Hollywood, I Love Lucy moving from New York City to Connecticut, Gimme a Break moving from California to NYC. LHOTP is even crazier for doing it for only one season and then moving back!

not even a season! like 6 episodes!

• LOL 5

At least LHOTP was smart enough to know it wasn't working and had the Ingalls quickly moved back to Walnut Grove and all their friends followed. 

New locations and shaking up the cast is a gamble. I'm quite fond of I Love Lucy in Connecticut, but hated Gimme A Break in NY and without the girls. Unwatchable.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 3

So in my quest to watch the most maligned episodes, starting with the orangutan one and then "The Godsister," tonight I shall watch "Halloween Dream." I wonder if it's as offensive as the premise indicates. 

I'm still not watching anything with Nancy or Shannon Doherty. 

Edited by Superclam
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, Superclam said:

So in my quest to watch the most maligned episodes, starting with the orangutan one and then "The Godsister," tonight I shall watch "Halloween Dream." I wonder if it's as offensive as the premise indicates. 

Does that mean there are 2 orangutan episodes?

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, Superclam said:

I can handle Shannon, but Nancy is just unwatchable.  I think they made a mistake creating an even more sinister replacement for Nellie.  It would have been way funnier if they had Nancy look similar to Nellie, but they should have given her an opposite personality, like suger sweet and gentle.  Mixing that with Harriet would have been hilarious.

• Love 7

Few thoughts about "Survival"

I love at the end when the Marshall said "Hey Ingalls, next time when I tell you there's a blizzard coming maybe you will believe me!"

and so intense when Charles was gonna have to kill the horse for food...that's so intense. I couldnt imagine being in that spot

• Love 4

I wondered how they'd get home if he did that too but it was for effect. Those times were harsh and they never seemed to have warm clothes. The girls had coats but they seemed thin, no winter like hats for the women, a scarf but you'd think furs would be used more. Sometimes Caroline just had a crocheted shawl while battling wind outdoors. Maybe in "real" pioneer life, they did.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, debraran said:

I wondered how they'd get home if he did that too but it was for effect. Those times were harsh and they never seemed to have warm clothes. The girls had coats but they seemed thin, no winter like hats for the women, a scarf but you'd think furs would be used more. Sometimes Caroline just had a crocheted shawl while battling wind outdoors. Maybe in "real" pioneer life, they did.

did they have 2 horses on that trip? could 1 get them back?

Yes I notice dthat too. caroline looked to not be wearing that much heavy clothing

I feel like back then you would OVERPACK.

I recall it was a 6 day trip total, of what it was suppose to be, and it seems they only packed food for 7 days. I get it's a show but I'm sure they would have taken more

• Love 2

In "Times Are Changing" I noticed Laura said it would be years before Charles was able to visit Walnut Grove again, but there is later on that season with ALbert! lol

Also I did hear Nels say the store opened at 8am whenever the doctor was trying to get in

• Love 1
9 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I can handle Shannon, but Nancy is just unwatchable.  I think they made a mistake creating an even more sinister replacement for Nellie.  It would have been way funnier if they had Nancy look similar to Nellie, but they should have given her an opposite personality, like suger sweet and gentle.  Mixing that with Harriet would have been hilarious.

I agree.  Nellie was so much more likable.  Nancy was too much, and I would have liked her better if she was toned down.  The episodes where she was somewhat nicer were much better.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, debraran said:

Laura wearing only that potholder on her head during many of the winter episodes always bugged me.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, jird said:

Laura wearing only that potholder on her head during many of the winter episodes always bugged me.

The "Blizzard" epsiode at the start Charles and mr Edwards werent even wearing jackets. Like it was in the 70s or something, which I highly doubt. Probably in the 40s I'm sure

Edited by jason88cubs