Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, jird said:

His character's name was Patrick, and one of the episodes shortly after that was the one with Patrick and the balloon guy, so I think it was maybe supposed to be the same character. Fake Patrick was way cuter than both Bobby Brady and balding balloon guy.

Oh, I didn't realize they were one and the same character!  Thanks for that info... 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

It seems whenever Mary travels, the pattern is that she gets her hope up, get disappointed, and then a happy ending. The one with the test, and then the one where she reunite with John who dump her but then she meets Bobby Brady on the train.

I think any episode that had Mary traveling always had a situation of "we don't have enough money"

• Love 2

I prefer to think of Bobby Brady as Fake Patrick and the cute one as Real Patrick.

I'm sorry, but I can't take anyone seriously looking like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSg-vNjSf6w58pGg3ZprVN

Although it was a cute callback to Melissa Anderson appearing on The Brady Bunch as Millicent aka the girl Bobby kissed, causing him to see "skyrockets."

3c906e86d5310a4ddd9b3f51e4395d59.jpg

Speaking of ridiculous looks, WTAF was Mary thinking to prefer this guy?

71016c7e2930904c27befd0416698e3a.jpg

I mean he looked almost twice her age. Not as old as Dumb Abel McKay looked but still.

Patrick was so much cuter:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfymI5Uy4GTUBbI6LhpS3

Also, Mary can STFU when she got on her high horse at the end and dramatically told Cass to "well, you go be with your balloon and leave us alone" after treating Patrick like shit all episode. If I had been Patrick, I would have turned and walked away.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, CountryGirl said:

I prefer to think of Bobby Brady as Fake Patrick and the cute one as Real Patrick.

Although it was a cute callback to Melissa Anderson appearing on The Brady Bunch as Millicent aka the girl Bobby kissed, causing him to see "skyrockets."

I mean he looked almost twice her age. Not as old as Dumb Abel McKay looked but still.

Also, Mary can STFU when she got on her high horse at the end and dramatically told Cass to "well, you go be with your balloon and leave us alone" after treating Patrick like shit all episode. If I had been Patrick, I would have turned and walked away.

I totally agree with you on that episode.  Mary was awful and stupid.  Not that I love Mary, but that was totally out of character for her and made no sense.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

but not as bad as teh "dreaming of being indians" episode

True, when scripts weren't fresh as the first couple of years, borrowed from Bonanza or Walton's, they could get a little "out there". This opinion piece was okay but I agree, people remember LHOP stuff more than the Waltons because of the fact (I feel) that Walton's was more realistic and not as over the top. Watching a show that came first on Walton's and later on LHOP, the script is less subtle on LHOP.

Most people who stopped watching LHOP years ago, conveniently forget the bad shows unless someone reminds them or how bad they were. They choose to remember the pilot or a party or a Xmas show. That's fine, the rest of us who tune in on DVD or Amazon, we pick and choose what we watch. I erase the "mistakes" for me, the ones that annoy or make me cringe, the waste of talent. I have a feeling unless his ego was too big, if Michael lived and saw his show in 2020 eyes, he'd agree with a lot of what critics say and maybe even would have made a pioneer movie for Xmas with some of the old characters but not LHOP theme. He knew how to do some things very well and touching on what America needs and tugging on heartstrings, I know he could have still done it well.

https://www.vulture.com/2012/04/does-little-house-on-the-prairie-hold-up.html

Edited by debraran
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, debraran said:

True, when scripts weren't fresh as the first couple of years, borrowed from Bonanza or Walton's, they could get a little "out there". This opinion piece was okay but I agree, people remember LHOP stuff more than the Waltons because of the fact (I feel) that Walton's was more realistic and not as over the top. Watching a show that came first on Walton's and later on LHOP, the script is less subtle on LHOP.

Most people who stopped watching LHOP years ago, conveniently forget the bad shows unless someone reminds them or how bad they were. They choose to remember the pilot or a party or a Xmas show. That's fine, the rest of us who tune in on DVD or Amazon, we pick and choose what we watch. I erase the "mistakes" for me, the ones that annoy or make me cringe, the waste of talent. I have a feeling unless his ego was too big, if Michael lived and saw his show in 2020 eyes, he'd agree with a lot of what critics say and maybe even would have made a pioneer movie for Xmas with some of the old characters but not LHOP theme. He knew how to do some things very well and touching on what America needs and tugging on heartstrings, I know he could have still done it well.

https://www.vulture.com/2012/04/does-little-house-on-the-prairie-hold-up.html

It was funny because I don’t think I had ever known they showed the family in Kansas, as I had always just seen the start of the show as moving to Walnut Grove.  So I started my last rewatch because that Kansas movie/pilot was on, so I added the show to my dvr.  It does show that Landon could do some real episodes that add value to the show.  Plus in between the crazy episodes there are some very touching episodes and moments, which is what carries this show.  One episode that was surprising to me was when I think they moved to the city, and it was Mary’s birthday maybe?  And they had that sweet family dinner with the others that also moved to the city.  I think Laura had done some nice speech to Mary or something, and pa got his fiddle back, and played it, etc.  I don’t remember that scene much before but it is moments like that which keep the show relevant.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

but not as bad as teh "dreaming of being indians" episode

Y'know, I've never actually seen this episode in either my first run in the 80s of watching, or my pandemic watching. I know it gets a bad rap and sounds offensive. I did see "The Godsister" once in the 80s, and never watched it again. 

Basically, there are some great episodes of this show, and some real clunkers. I can skip large portions of Seasons 8 and 9. 

• Love 1

While on the whole, the Waltons was/is more “toned down,” it too could/can be counted on to have more than a few *clunkers* of its own. As we are all aware,  Lolol 

Landon was either *Very, very Good or Very, very Bad *when he decided to *both* write AND direct specific episodes.  I have a migraine at the moment, so I probably shouldn’t even be attempting to write this, but I seem to remember Season 2’s  “REMEMBER ME, PARTS 1 AND 2,”  which I think he both wrote and directed.  Yeah, he knew how to tug on the heartstrings,  without overdoing it.  When Alicia (Kylie Richards) gently takes Mr. Edwards’ hand, it gets to me every time.  I hope I have the correct episode.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Wonkabar5 said:

While on the whole, the Waltons was/is more “toned down,” it too could/can be counted on to have more than a few *clunkers* of its own. As we are all aware,  Lolol 

Landon was either *Very, very Good or Very, very Bad *when he decided to *both* write AND direct specific episodes.  I have a migraine at the moment, so I probably shouldn’t even be attempting to write this, but I seem to remember Season 2’s  “REMEMBER ME, PARTS 1 AND 2,”  which I think he both wrote and directed.  Yeah, he knew how to tug on the heartstrings,  without overdoing it.  When Alicia (Kylie Richards) gently takes Mr. Edwards’ hand, it gets to me every time.  I hope I have the correct episode.

Yes, he did that one, he ended it well, was a bit drawn out with the people you knew would never get the kids but that hand was priceless.  🙂

He also did The Lord is my Shepherd and I felt the same, some parts were so good and some just silly. He didn't write my favorite 2 part show or direct, when Mary goes blind. It was Claxton directing and Carole Raschella and Michael Raschella writing. I thought they did a great job. Earned Melissa an Emmy nod

Hope you feel better.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

I will never forget how Alison Arngrim's "school rival" type hatred for Melissa Sue Anderson permeated her book because it was hilarious and she really didn't give a fuck. She pretty much spilled that Michael Landon was going to indefinitely postpone Mary going blind because he wanted to use her as a teen dating romance heroine while Melissa Gilbert was still too young to do it, and Melissa Sue Anderson didn't get along with any of the guys they paired her up with so Landon just went ahead and made her blind.  

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I will never forget how Alison Arngrim's "school rival" type hatred for Melissa Sue Anderson permeated her book because it was hilarious and she really didn't give a fuck. She pretty much spilled that Michael Landon was going to indefinitely postpone Mary going blind because he wanted to use her as a teen dating romance heroine while Melissa Gilbert was still too young to do it, and Melissa Sue Anderson didn't get along with any of the guys they paired her up with so Landon just went ahead and made her blind.  

That is interesting, but kind of makes sense.  One thing I noticed in the last rewatch was how many stories Mary had before going blind, kind of like a last hurrah.  But I also noticed there was a lot of Mary and Pa together when she always seemed closer to Ma.  I am guessing it was more about Michael Landon wanting to be in the spotlight with her?  Like when she went blind and called out for Pa...I think Ma would have made more sense.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, alexa said:

That is interesting, but kind of makes sense.  One thing I noticed in the last rewatch was how many stories Mary had before going blind, kind of like a last hurrah.  But I also noticed there was a lot of Mary and Pa together when she always seemed closer to Ma.  I am guessing it was more about Michael Landon wanting to be in the spotlight with her?  Like when she went blind and called out for Pa...I think Ma would have made more sense.  

Yeah, if I was to guess, they were probably going to hold off making Mary blind for another season or two while they waited for Laura to grow up to start the Almanzo storyline. But Landon abruptly shifted course at late season 5/early season 6. That explains why Laura is still wearing pigtails when she meets Almanzo- I think he was introduced earlier then they expected him to be. 

As for Landon, yeah, he totally put himself into the spotlight whenever he could. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Yeah, if I was to guess, they were probably going to hold off making Mary blind for another season or two while they waited for Laura to grow up to start the Almanzo storyline. But Landon abruptly shifted course at late season 5/early season 6. That explains why Laura is still wearing pigtails when she meets Almanzo- I think he was introduced earlier then they expected him to be. 

As for Landon, yeah, he totally put himself into the spotlight whenever he could. 

I thought in her book (Melissa Sue) it was pretty planned out when it was and she knew and they discussed it and her worry about it. In her book she said, "Am I going blind next season?" and cried. He told her it had to happen before she got too old. Maybe the shows with eyesight were more so she could have more range beforehand and the contrast would be greater. The first episodes of her blind were better than many with Laura, her learning, teaching, some of the blind school episodes but her stories were less. You knew when they made Adam see, it was down hill from then and even the idea of a child back then when both blind (how many babies could he kill off?) I think she left at the right time knowing she was just going to stand there and look at nothing while Adam had freedom and ran etc. But it didn't happen right away.

I gave away her book years ago but you can read parts of the printed version on amazon. You can search words and "blind" brought up all the parts with her talking to Michael and later scenes. He said she did so well with Johnny Cash episode and Soldiers Return, they knew she'd carry this well. I appreciated the work she did to prepare for it and got nice feedback from it.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5

@debraran:  Thanks. I feel a bit better this am. 😀

In response to the news tidbit that there will be a LHOTP reboot- didn’t Ed Friendly already try that in 2005, with the Disney LHOTP miniseries that was supposed to be the pilot to a future series (based much more on the books)? 

That mini went nowhere ( too much criticism) and now Friendly has sadly passed on. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Wonkabar5 said:

@debraran:  Thanks. I feel a bit better this am. 😀

In response to the news tidbit that there will be a LHOTP reboot- didn’t Ed Friendly already try that in 2005, with the Disney LHOTP miniseries that was supposed to be the pilot to a future series (based much more on the books)? 

That mini went nowhere ( too much criticism) and now Friendly has sadly passed on. 

Yes and a movie that was bantered about for a bit and not made for the big screen. From 2016 :

https://time.com/4196166/little-house-prairie-movie-adaptation/

This show always had issues with doing specials (Michael didn't like them) and movies or mini series never would come to fruition. I don't give this high hopes but we will see. 

They also were bad about giving really good toys or replica's to fans. Dolls never looked like them and any playset would have made millions. Can you imagine getting the house, then adding on barn, animals, extras like horses or buggies. How I would have loved that even as an adult. ; ) They best they had were so so colorforms and paper dolls and a lunchbox.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2

Hmmm. I’m really not that excited for a reboot at this point.  I have wonderful memories of my childhood and LH (with some nightmares thrown in, which prompted my mom to call a “time-out” on the show for a while, LOL), but I have no idea what  TPTB will ultimately do to it.  See Netflix’s AOGG. 

I don’t think it will be possible to adapt any more than LH Big Woods in today’s climate.

Toys/Games??  I own a few interactive kiddie literature books, which I originally bought for my niece, but seem to be more suited for older kids/young adults, and just well, adults.  Husband and I “played” with them  Lol. 

{{P and P- 2 versions, Secret Garden}}}

Edited by Wonkabar5
  • Love 1

The Last Farewell is on, and Charles said, "I hate to have to tell the Carters" (about the town being repossessed), and all I could think was, "No you don't!" There is nothing in the world Charles likes more than delivering bad news, as painfully slowly and dramatically as possible. If he could deliver bad news with his shirt off, that would be his best day ever.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

Apologies if this has been posted before.  PBS American Masters is airing a LIW profile on Dec. 29, 2020.   Tess Harper narrates.  Appearances by historian Carolyn Fraser (“Prairie Fires”),  Louise Erdrich, Pamela Hill, other authors we may recognize, and supposedly (I think I read this correctly), Half-Pint, Manzo, Nellie in present day specifically for the program. I wonder what they will be asked, and what may have been left on the cutting room floor?  (Wink) 😉

After watching, we should have a discussion if we really think a reboot is possible, and if so, what it may actually end up looking like in today’s day and age.  What network  or cable entity will be willing to take this on? 

Edited by Wonkabar5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Wonkabar5 said:

Apologies if this has been posted before.  PBS American Masters is airing a LIW profile on Dec. 29, 2020.   Tess Harper narrates.  Appearances by historian Carolyn Fraser (“Prairie Fires”),  Louise Erdrich, Pamela Hill, other authors we may recognize, and supposedly (I think I read this correctly), Half-Pint, Manzo, Nellie in present day specifically for the program. I wonder what they will be asked, and what may have been left on the cutting room floor?  (Wink) 😉

After watching, we should have a discussion if we really think a reboot is possible, and if so, what it may actually end up looking like in today’s day and age.  What network  or cable entity will be willing to take this on? 

In my opinion the reboot wouldnt' have the heart the original show did. As far as picking it up? I could see it becoming a netflix or hulu exclusive? maybe AMC?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Wonkabar5 said:

Thanks for telling us about this program.  I have loved all of the books that go in more detail, so this should be good.  I also love how involved with LIW Dean Butler has remained.

• Love 3

You are most welcome.  After perusing some of the previews (quotes, not sounds, though), I think I know where the program is going to go. Very conflicted.   I don’t know how many librarians and teachers were interviewed about their feelings concerning the value, ***if any,*** , or lack thereof, of having todays children read the series.

This of course reminds me of that unforgettable scene in Series 8 or 9 ???  when that little girl in present day 198- , runs to her local library, and checks out one of the books, with a big smile on her face.  🙂   I think that was filmed irl @ the Tucson public library. 

Please help me out here,lolol.

I’ve got more to say, but it’s not sounding very articulate at the moment. Sigh. About Landon and why he may have wanted to veer some from the books as the original premise.  Not just ego based. 

Oh, the Caboose epi I like, even if Pa does save the day, iirc.

• Love 4

I feel the books, as good as some were , were just too boring for prime time TV. He also wanted a more sanitized version of the times. He did show bigots, but they never were, they were nice to everyone and I think that would have been every religion, race, even sexual orientation if that was shown then. He always wanted to show how to treat people even if it wasn't done then.

One book I vaguely remember and thought was good, was The Long Winter. I remember the twisting of sticks/twigs and hay and how little food they had, the unrelenting snow and wind and cold. That would have made a more gritty and real show or movie but even on LHOP Michael would rather show a rape or addiction rather than how really hard it was to live day to day. He'd go to work when a tornado hit but always came home and family was fine. Other times neighbors helped but really many times they all were in the same boat.

I think the Xmas barrel theme would have been a nice holiday show too and shown how much they loved getting gifts and magazines to look at slowly.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 4

All true, but I also remember being ***freaked out *** by the fairly high death count which would be true to the times as per disease,drowning,  getting thrown off a horse, or out of a wagon/stagecoach.  The 1800’s equivalent of a car crash.  But, yes...also drama. 

Death happened all the time, barring the main characters, except of course there was Charles Jr. which was true to the book.  Oh, but then we have the whole Laura Goes Up to the Mountain drama to go along with it. Hmmm.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I would have loved a few episodes based on The Long Winter. It kind of had the same vibe of struggling to survive and quiet domestic moments as The pilot movie. The pilot was the best of the entire series in my opinion.

Charles could have ranted about the guy ruining the antelope hunt, and later breaking into the train and stealing food (but it's ok to steal because all his neighbors are starving so he's really a hero. Lol) And then having nice moments like the girls pooling their money to buy Christmas presents, and then having a feast in the spring. There was even a blizzard where the children had to find their way home. But I guess the book didn't enough deaths and emotional praying for Michael.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I would have loved a few episodes based on The Long Winter. It kind of had the same vibe of struggling to survive and quiet domestic moments as The pilot movie. The pilot was the best of the entire series in my opinion.

Charles could have ranted about the guy ruining the antelope hunt, and later breaking into the train and stealing food (but it's ok to steal because all his neighbors are starving so he's really a hero. Lol) And then having nice moments like the girls pooling their money to buy Christmas presents, and then having a feast in the spring. There was even a blizzard where the children had to find their way home. But I guess the book didn't enough deaths and emotional praying for Michael.

As a big reader of so many of the LIW books, as much as I think it is an important story to be told, I don't think the Long Winter would have been great TV.  For the biggest fans, yes, but for the general public, no.  As much as I found it captivating what they dealt with in real life, and then finding out later it was even worse because they had another family living with them the whole time it was happening--I just don't know what you would show on TV.  They basically got up, had to sit huddled together all day, and twisted hay.  Even in the book for me, it was never a favorite, though I appreciated how hard that had to have been for them.  

I guess I could see one episode, but I guess that would be kind of like the blizzard episode to some degree.  

• Love 2

I'd actually enjoy seeing a film depicting Laura, Almanzo and Rose's life in the later years, when she started writing.  I've read the books of around that time and Rose would make quite a character.  Has anything other than bio-docs been done about those years?

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I'd actually enjoy seeing a film depicting Laura, Almanzo and Rose's life in the later years, when she started writing.  I've read the books of around that time and Rose would make quite a character.  Has anything other than bio-docs been done about those years?

I don't think so.  My only thing about that is that I read a book that went in great detail about the whole span of their lives together (I can't remember which one), and it was so much detail I almost found it boring.  And I found myself kind of annoyed with Rose quite a bit, to be honest, lol!  But that all said it would definitely show a different side to her story, and I would love to see more of their Missouri life depicted because it was pretty fascinating what they accomplished there.

• Love 5

I’ve read so many non-fiction/fiction books about RL Wilder/Ingalls/Rose Lane from the last 10 years or so, that I don’t remember all the specific titles. Several of the letters exchanged re: writing process,  personal life ...that they all kind of blurred into one,lolol.   My long-term memory isn’t what it used to be,lol.   I need repeat readings. Ha. 

I have also read other message boards and we all wonder about Rose irl.  Bipolar? Very possibly. Quite the attitude, that one. (Rolls eyes). But, then again, Laura didn’t come across as tv’s Ma,  (Karen Grassley), either. Lolol

=========================================================================

TV Trivia:  Anyone remember when John Lennon was killed on a Monday night and LH  program was preempted (broken into) with news coverage?   I was livid! Lolol  12 year old me had not really processed that he was a Beatle. I had a sense of “Paul Mc and Wings” guy being once in the Beatles, but wasn’t really all that aware or even cared that much about John.   

Funny thing though, I can’t even remember which episode it was, that I was angry about missing! LOL. I’d have to look it up and I don’t have the energy.  This did happen on a Monday night, did it not? 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Wonkabar5 said:

I’ve read so many non-fiction/fiction books about RL Wilder/Ingalls/Rose Lane from the last 10 years or so, that I don’t remember all the specific titles. Several of the letters exchanged re: writing process,  personal life ...that they all kind of blurred into one,lolol.   My long-term memory isn’t what it used to be,lol.   I need repeat readings. Ha. 

I have also read other message boards and we all wonder about Rose irl.  Bipolar? Very possibly. Quite the attitude, that one. (Rolls eyes). But, then again, Laura didn’t come across as tv’s Ma,  (Karen Grassley), either. Lolol

=========================================================================

TV Trivia:  Anyone remember when John Lennon was killed on a Monday night and LH  program was preempted (broken into) with news coverage?   I was livid! Lolol  12 year old me had not really processed that he was a Beatle. I had a sense of “Paul Mc and Wings” guy being once in the Beatles, but wasn’t really all that aware or even cared that much about John.   

Funny thing though, I can’t even remember which episode it was, that I was angry about missing! LOL. I’d have to look it up and I don’t have the energy.  This did happen on a Monday night, did it not? 

To See the Light: Episode 2"

Adam eventually travels to Minneapolis to take the entrance examinations for law school, but late one night he is assaulted and robbed by hoodlums. Although he recovers temporarily, he then falls seriously ill, causing him to miss the final examinations. Fortunately, a friend he has made allows him to stay at his house and be attended by his doctor. When they hear, Mary and Charles travel to see Adam, and Mary, trying to make up for her previous lack of support for Adam's ambition, persuades the college professor to allow him to complete his examinations, and Adam wins a scholarship to study law.

Historical note: The west-coast feed of this episode was interrupted near its end by an NBC news bulletin which announced John Lennon had been shot.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I've been watching the show for the first time since I was a kid (I was a 90s kid so only ever knew it as reruns).

For the most part I'm enjoying it. I'm at the beginning of season 4. I liked Laura in the beginning of the show, but I have wanted to bitch slap her so hard in the most recent episodes. Currently watching "Castoffs," and I was just absolutely appalled at how she treated both Jack and then the other dog. (I still have a residual grudge against Little Joe Pa for not letting Jack ride in the wagon across the river in the pilot episode, but that's neither here nor there.)

I was pretty irritated with her, too, last night during "Gold Country" with her penchant for trespassing on other people's property and then acting like she's the wronged one when they tell her to piss off. (She did the same thing in "Haunted House.")

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Wonkabar5 said:

@Zella: talk to me when you get past the first 15- 20 min into “My Ellen.”   😱 

Freak out city, esp to a child in real time. 

Oh my. That's the next one. 👀

@jason88- thanks for more info.  I was a kid in L.A. at the time of original broadcast. 

The funny part now is that it doesn’t even sound that great- LMAO!  “late in the night, assaulted  and robbed by hoodlums”   More Landon drama-Rama. LoL

And the fact that it didn’t even make that much of an impact on me, years later. Ha. 

Edited by Wonkabar5
  • Love 2

I'm watching "Miss Beadle nearly gets her students killed", AKA "The Blizzard" and I just can't get over how old Joey's (Joey, who we never saw before or after this episode) mother looks. That lady looks and sounds like she's in her sixties yet I'm supposed to believe she has a son the same age as Laura? I guess she could have been his grandmother or had him in her fifties, but I think the show just assumed viewers wouldn't notice how much older she was than all the other mothers and even her husband. Also, I dislike her immensely for the constantly asking about "my Joey". Listen lady, you're not the only one with a missing kid. Pipe down.

Willie is so sweet to Miss Beadle in this episode when he reassures her that things are not her fault, even though they are, LOL. And he's so gross for eating paste. 

Carrie wasn't school-aged yet, so why was she in the schoolhouse that day? 

Grace is always so calm and level-headed (like Caroline) that I laugh every time she cries out melodramatically "MY BABIES!" over the still missing Carl & Alicia.

It is a good episode and one that I like to rewatch often.

Edited by bunnyblue
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 12/22/2020 at 12:04 AM, Wonkabar5 said:

To this day I enjoy the trope of "insane grieving person takes hostage a replacement." It was funny they basically remade this episode, just without the sentimentality as that time it was a man and he was evil.

Didn't they also have an episode where Rose was accidentally kidnapped by a kindly couple who thought she was abandoned? LOL. I really do wonder what zany plots Michael Landon would have cooked up for Rose if New Little House had been enough to reinvigorate interest in the show, or Michael Landon had lived because y'all KNOW he would have tried bringing this show back.

• Love 4

It wasn’t just the hostage stuff, for me...**it was the drowning itself. **  Even though I knew how to swim and swam in our own built-in pool, at home, I was still freaked out by the fact that one minute she was above water, then ducked to avoid the boys’ glances.....and never came up again.   Did she get caught in something, underneath?

***It all reminded me of possibly getting caught up in kelp, or something else in the ocean in S. Ca where I lived (and I didn’t even go in that far).***

We won’t even talk about SHARKS and the Jaws phenomenon at the time, lololol. I have still Never seen any of those movies. Just the infamous poster is enough to creep me out. Lolol

Yes, I scare easily.  Sigh.

Edited by Wonkabar5
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

Carrie wasn't school-aged yet, so why was she in the schoolhouse that day? 

I guess Carrie got permission to attend that day to make Christmas presents, but where were the little siblings of the other students?

Oh wait. I almost forgot the Ingalls are special.

• LOL 3
On 12/21/2020 at 11:04 PM, Wonkabar5 said:

So, I just watched it. Damn, I don't think I've ever experienced such tonal whiplash in an episode, but the Criminal Minds-ish turn that took was pretty freaky.

As soon as they ran to tell Pa, I immediately assumed we would see a shirtless Pa diving into the water to find Ellen. So, when the shot showed a group of men all in shirts, I was relieved but then I also felt like an asshole since someone had just drowned. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I'm surprised Mary and Laura had to share a bed, seemed like they had enough room up there for 2 individual beds

Did they ever show the loft with the Carter boys later? I am pretty sure although I watched those shows much less, they slept together and I thought the younger one was on the other side? They stuffed much more furniture in the little house with 4 people than the Ingall's had with 6 but they didn't need the Carrie bed at the foot of theirs or Grace's invisible cradle which was put in place of Carrie's bed at times. Imagine a set where you can't show all people in bed at once. I must have blocked out how they fit James and Cassandra too. If you can build a kitchen, you can add a small room.  I think unless it was winter, I'd stay in the sod house if I was Albert. ; )

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3

I'm surprised Mary and Laura had to share a bed, seemed like they had enough room up there for 2 individual beds

They must have, because Laura and Albert didn't share a bed.  And, later, James, Cassandra, Albert and Carrie all slept up there.

• Love 1