Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Charles always had the attitude of "I'm Charles Ingalls! How dare you!"

Remember when Mary needed an operation and he and Mr. Edwards went to look for a job? He almost beat up that foreman who had no more job openings. I know he was desperate, but he was just a jerk.

Oh yea I remember. Or when him and Garvey was eating at the fancy restaraunt and he yelled at the waiter

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Remember when Mary needed an operation and he and Mr. Edwards went to look for a job? He almost beat up that foreman who had no more job openings. I know he was desperate, but he was just a jerk.

Yes and when he couldn’t have cared less about the Chinese man who died working in the mines and didn’t want to stop working during his funeral. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

Didn't the banker eventually close down and move away, so the building was taken over by the Walnut Gove newspaper rag sheet run by Harriet's cousin?

I always wondered how a banker could survive in Walnut Grove when so many seemed to live week to week. No matter how much money Charles got doing jobs with Hanson, trips he took to get more money on his own or for the mill, they always seemed broke. Extra money went into a jar. Most people wanted loans but how could they pay him back? Harriet spoke of farmers leaving in the middle of night but I guess their farm was left. IDK, I suspend reality for most of it, but that was always just a way to have Sprague in a couple of shows. I still think it's funny "cash on the barrel" Ingall's wanted a loan for 7 dollars or something like that to buy Caroline dishes. I don't know what came first, that show with widow or Handyman, but Mary still didn't learn her parents weren't in a soap opera. ; )

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Superclam said:

I think he left when the town collapsed and everyone moved to Winoka. Anyway, he was only in about 4 episodes. 

The bank was back afterwards in several episodes over the years.  I can’t remember all of them, but the banker had a role in the episodes.  What I can’t remember is if it is the same banker because he is a familiar character to me, and that could simply be from watching the show in the past as well.

Even in season 9 it was there with whatever banker had been there a while, for the episode with the little person Harriet wouldn’t let him hire.

Edited by alexa
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, alexa said:

Even in season 9 it was there with whatever banker had been there a while, for the episode with the little person Harriet wouldn’t let him hire.

Yes, I remember that one. What a crappy episode. 

Per wikipedia, Ted Gehring played Ebenezer (!) Sprague in 4 episodes, and in true Little House tradition, played another character in a different episode. It looks like he was a guest on just about every tv show in the 70s and 80s. 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Yes, I remember that one. What a crappy episode. 

Per wikipedia, Ted Gehring played Ebenezer (!) Sprague in 4 episodes, and in true Little House tradition, played another character in a different episode. It looks like he was a guest on just about every tv show in the 70s and 80s. 

A lot of the characters resurface which is why it is hard for me to remember their timelines, lol.  I also remember the episode where the phone system came in and they used the banker to help Albert/Laura trick Harriet into buying stocks or something.   There were random episodes like that with the bank over time.  

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, alexa said:

A lot of the characters resurface which is why it is hard for me to remember their timelines, lol.  I also remember the episode where the phone system came in and they used the banker to help Albert/Laura trick Harriet into buying stocks or something.   There were random episodes like that with the bank over time.  

I've seen Little Lou recently, and I know the new banker was in it, but I wouldn't recognize him with a gun to my head. In the same vein, I reiterate what a crappy episode this is. Harriet is prejudiced and rude, and then she learns a valuable lesson, until the next time she is prejudiced and rude. And of course, we never see Little Lou again. 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, Superclam said:

And of course, we never see Little Lou again. 

He's in the town dungeon with Dr. LeDoux, and Tinker Jones, and Olga, and Patrick, and everyone else who disappeared after being critical to one episode.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Superclam said:

I've seen Little Lou recently, and I know the new banker was in it, but I wouldn't recognize him with a gun to my head. In the same vein, I reiterate what a crappy episode this is. Harriet is prejudiced and rude, and then she learns a valuable lesson, until the next time she is prejudiced and rude. And of course, we never see Little Lou again. 

I do like at the end of the episode they did say he was in Walnut Grove working for the banker for many years.  So I guess like with all other characters that are there for a one time story, they did at least tell us his long term story.  Kind of like Keisha?  The odd bird lady that ended up staying in Walnut Grove long term per what they said but we only saw her main storyline and then when she lived at the Lake that Harriet too her house from her temporarily.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, alexa said:

It was a wasted opportunity to not have Alison Arngrim guest star as a different character. They could have put a dark wig on her and made her a sickly sweet character that still manages to drive Laura up a wall.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I personally think Nels is the best part of LHOP

Love that guy

Me too, lot of facets to his character. He came from money (it seemed) but was kind and smart. He put up with a lot of verbal abuse but had his outlets, great one liners and his hunting and fishing. I think he showed his children an alternate version of what to be like vs Harriet and Willie seemed like he saw and I know Nel's was very proud of him when he met his wife.

Richard Bull also gave some honest and good interviews. I know he liked Jonathan and thought his mom ignored him and gave all the attention to Melissa. He said he was good on the set and very smart. Actually said in one interview, maybe the smartest child on the set. That was the first time I read anything nice about Jon, everyone else said "He left" or Allison said he didn't like to study lines (but he did fine) I'm glad Michael used Richard later in Highway and I'm glad he gave us the many years on LHOP>

Edited by debraran
  • Love 7
On 12/9/2020 at 5:36 PM, Snow Apple said:

I saw the episode yesterday where he and Almanzo were having a contest to see who could get their deliveries to the city first, and Charles took the dumb shortcut and ran into a fence, and he got out and was all set to cut the fence down until the farmer showed up with a gun. He's out on someone else's property, and thinks it's just fine to cut the fence because it's in his way.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

In the episode "Survival", I know they were not expecting a snow storm but you think they would know/be smart to take plenty of extra resources just in case. From what I remember they took enough, just for the trip they were making. I feel like people back then would take 3-4 days extra worth of stuff just to be safe

• Love 5
14 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

In the episode "Survival", I know they were not expecting a snow storm but you think they would know/be smart to take plenty of extra resources just in case. From what I remember they took enough, just for the trip they were making. I feel like people back then would take 3-4 days extra worth of stuff just to be safe

It did seem odd being practiced pioneers but everyone makes mistakes and it of course made for a better show. I remember my kid wondering if they ate the horses, how would they ever leave? LHOP showed some hard edges at times but they left out the daily ones. You'll never see Caroline or Charles getting the deer ready to eat, skinning, cutting, etc.  You will never see the whole process of canning or washing clothes or making butter or cheese or even gathering water to fill a tub. You never see them having to use a bathroom when snowed in or late at night or really ever. You see glimpses and I really feel that is better TV but it gives people the idea that living then was more doable. I think that is what Karen Grassle meant when she wanted it "grittier" but Michael knew people wanted a sanitized version of that time. Everyone would look good even when sick, always clean and hair sparkling, breakfast "would be served" and cakes made quickly, turkey's will be killed and then almost done over the fire in a few minutes. (How I wish I could do that!) ; ) 

We have a place called Sturbridge in MA where it's a replica of a town back which recreates life in rural New England during the 1790s through 1830s. Before Covid, you could stay without phone in a home and you would do what they did, dress like them, sleep like them, eat how they would eat, do a chore they would do, etc. Most liked it but many said they had no idea even in a controlled environment, how hard it was without electricity and using what was available then. Pretty cool I must say. This was from 2017 article

https://www.courant.com/ctnow/hc-boarding-with-bixbys-old-sturbridge-village-20170822-story.html

Edited by debraran
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Did the Oelson's pay people to get their meat for them? Never saw Nels hunting and with him running the store I wonder if they just paid people or gave credit to people for the meat?

2 hours ago, debraran said:

It did seem odd being practiced pioneers but everyone makes mistakes and it of course made for a better show. I remember my kid wondering if they ate the horses, how would they ever leave? LHOP showed some hard edges at times but they left out the daily ones. You'll never see Caroline or Charles getting the deer ready to eat, skinning, cutting, etc.  You will never see the whole process of canning or washing clothes or making butter or cheese or even gathering water to fill a tub. You never see them having to use a bathroom when snowed in or late at night or really ever. You see glimpses and I really feel that is better TV but it gives people the idea that living then was more doable. I think that is what Karen Grassle meant when she wanted it "grittier" but Michael knew people wanted a sanitized version of that time. Everyone would look good even when sick, always clean and hair sparkling, breakfast "would be served" and cakes made quickly, turkey's will be killed and then almost done over the fire in a few minutes. (How I wish I could do that!) ; ) 

We have a place called Sturbridge in MA where it's a replica of a town back which recreates life in rural New England during the 1790s through 1830s. Before Covid, you could stay without phone in a home and you would do what they did, dress like them, sleep like them, eat how they would eat, do a chore they would do, etc. Most liked it but many said they had no idea even in a controlled environment, how hard it was without electricity and using what was available then. Pretty cool I must say. This was from 2017 article

https://www.courant.com/ctnow/hc-boarding-with-bixbys-old-sturbridge-village-20170822-story.html

Agree. They did show  a"Clean " version of life back then. I don't think people realize how busy people were back then. Relaxation time was very very little. Charles doing morning chores, working at the mill, more chores after, tending to hsi crop. That's easily a 13-14 hour day of just work

• Love 4
3 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

Charles doing morning chores, working at the mill, more chores after, tending to hsi crop. That's easily a 13-14 hour day of just work

Women didn't have it any easier.  Cooking over a fire, with foods that spoil easily, canning, butter and cheese making.  Laundry and mending took days.  Taking care of chickens and milking.  Household cleaning.  Caring for children.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

Did the Oelson's pay people to get their meat for them? Never saw Nels hunting and with him running the store I wonder if they just paid people or gave credit to people for the meat?

Didn't Caroline sell eggs to the Oleson's? I'm sure they have to buy meat from the other farmers, or maybe there's a butcher shop we don't know about? The teachers, millers, and bankers need to buy food too since they don't farm. Not the doctor though because he gets paid in produce.

• Love 2
On 12/5/2020 at 9:36 AM, Superclam said:

I always wondered when they left Winoka and went back to Walnut Grove. I had never seen the episode before. I think they didn't show it in syndication often because it's a full 60 minutes without commercials. 

Anyway, I watched it on Amazon this week and it's a pretty good episode, especially the second part when they get back to WG. By the next episode (Fagin) are all their financial problems temporarily solved? 

Also, how creepy is the scene with that "old" lady, when they pan in on her face and her husband goes "she's only 45 years old." 

It was a bad move,. The Winoka episodes just didnt work in my opinion. Everything came off too forced

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Holy crap I love the idea of Landon and Bixby being bitter rivals like Bette David and Joan Crawford!

That whole thing is bizarre.  1. Why not just not use the theme instead of stealing it and trying to use so little that it wouldn't be recognized?  2. Did Michael Landon come out and say that he was jealous of all "true handsome men" or did someone notice a pattern? 3. Who decides what makes a someone a "true handsome man?"  Is there a graph or a checklist somewhere?

From BB's IMDB page

Bill Bixby and Michael Landon only met once: during a competition for a game show, in the 1970s. On opposing teams, both were very competitive and both wanted to win but, whereas Bill understood that it was a friendly game, Landon took it extremely seriously, to the point he ignored Bixby's congenial disposition and completely snubbed him. The two never worked together in any scripted show.

I don't think they could have had too much of a rivalry going if they were only ever in the same room once. You need more personal contact to be entertaining about it.

ETA: I like game shows, so I decided to see if I could figure out which one it was.  It was something called Baffle, which was only on one year 73-4, and I have no idea what it was.

Edited by Katy M
  • Useful 2

I thought most knew Michael had an eye for women and liked his body or had an obsession to being in shape. He didn't take care of the insides as well but did like to make the package appealing. Except for Chris the handyman, no one was ever like Michael on the set at the same time when he was younger. He was what he was, he had his good points and bad. His wife knew if it wasn't Cindy who got pregnant, it would have been another. He was known to be cheap with some things, but did have a set where people can go home at a decent hour, probably gave gifts, but salaries, not as generous. I felt bad some long timers couldn't get a raise. He was a family man in some ways and knew what people wanted on TV but had a hard side, a rough side that wasn't always nice. I never tried to figure out what was "real" or fake since he wasn't in my family or circles, I just enjoyed his shows.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5
55 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

I always wondered what the hours for Oelson's was. I'm sure it was 24/7 for emergencies but actual store hours

6 am to 5pm?

I think they probably close at 4.  This is a farming community and everyone was early to bed, early to rise, and they're clearly closed early enough for the family to eat supper together. That probably happened at 5 or so.  Plus, in the winter, it would be dark at 4.  And, of course, they're closed on Sundays.  And I don't think Harriet would take kindly to be woken up at 2 in the morning.  I'm not sure what kind of mercantile emergency would justify that in her mind.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think they probably close at 4.  This is a farming community and everyone was early to bed, early to rise, and they're clearly closed early enough for the family to eat supper together. That probably happened at 5 or so.  Plus, in the winter, it would be dark at 4.  And, of course, they're closed on Sundays.  And I don't think Harriet would take kindly to be woken up at 2 in the morning.  I'm not sure what kind of mercantile emergency would justify that in her mind.

Definitely no emergencies.  There was the episode that Isaiah went there to get emergency alcohol when he was in a drunken phase, and they weren't open, so he went off to the church to pray instead 🙂   I can also picture a couple of other episodes of people knocking on the door and noone answering at random times.  

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Emergencies such as the plague when they had to get blankets and everything (they were closed because Nels answered Charles from the upstairs window) , I recall Nels giving Laura some stuff when she said Mary had a stomachache during the episode where the three guys took over the blind school. There was another one as well I can't remember when Nels told them get whatever they need from the storage room and they were closed if i recall

• Love 1
22 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

idk why but I love the episode "plague"

I feel like it really shows how close the community is together

Me too. I like any of the episodes that involve the whole town, including the one where Miss Beadle tries to kill all the kids by sending them home in the blizzard.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

That was insane, how quick that snow fell lol

That episode was inspired by a real event, and there is a great book about it called The Children's Blizzard. And by "great," I mean fascinating and also terrifying.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, jird said:

That episode was inspired by a real event, and there is a great book about it called The Children's Blizzard. And by "great," I mean fascinating and also terrifying.

Thanks! Ill have to check it out!

Thats also one of those episodes where it seems like they make it look like the Ingalls lived much farther than they did in other episodes

I also think LHOP did a really good job of the weather. Like if it wa sblustery and cold they played it off really well, like you truly believed it was blustery and cold

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

In The Christmas They Never Forgot, I always felt bad for Royal even though it wasn't his place to tell Almanzo about Santa Claus.

Me too! Not giving him any presents at all was pretty harsh.

• Love 2

That actually played out a little bit in my house growing up. I'm the youngest of my six and my brother (the next closest in age at 2 years older) took it upon himself to tell 8-year-old me that there wasn't a Santa. 

To which I responded, "I don't believe you." And also, "Santa doesn't bring gifts if you don't believe in him."

My parents overheard this and chose to not comment.

Until Christmas morning came around and I got my Santa gift (Barbie townhouse) and my brother got...nothing. Background - Santa brought our most-coveted item and hid it somewhere in the living room (unwrapped but with a bow and with a scrawled so as to disguise my mom's handwriting message on it in Sharpie). 

My brother, realizing the full ramifications of attempting to spoil the fun for me, piped up with, "I was just testing you. Of course, there is a Santa." 

And roughly 30 minutes later, my mom pretended to hear something in the garage and lo and behold, a bike from Santa was found. 

To which I said, "See. You have to believe."

Topic? I feel for Royal but also kind of get the parents here. They could have met him halfway as mine did with my brother.

• Love 4

Your parents are awesome.

Also, the Barbie Townhouse was the best thing ever. I begged and begged for one, and also got one for Christmas, but my Mom didn't like Barbies, so the townhouse's occupants were various small stuffed animals and my Native American woman action figure. Ma would not have approved!

Edited by jird
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, jird said:

Me too! Not giving him any presents at all was pretty harsh.

I didn't like that at all, and I really didn't like Hester Sue's story. That was not a good story really, she couldn't go into a store because she was black, she got a doll the slave owner gave her dad but and he "borrowed" the suit he was supposed to clean to show her Santa did exist (at least that year) I hate when they show a nice slave owner and you are supposed to think how nice that was for everyone. At least with the Todd Bridges story, it was more realistic although I wondered if he really could have gone on the coach by himself back then and we know only in Walnut Grove could he go to school. The only one I liked was Caroline's. It seemed very realistic for the time.

Edited by debraran
1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

I really enjoy "the Pride of Walnut grove" The fact that they were so proud of Mary and helped contribute money

If that dont bring a tear to your eye well then I dont know to say

I agree with that part, but if I remember correctly this was in a string of episodes that Mary was being kind of annoying.  I think in this one it had to do with her not doing as well as she wanted (I can't remember exactly), and she kept going on about it.  Other than that I enjoyed it too.  

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, alexa said:

I agree with that part, but if I remember correctly this was in a string of episodes that Mary was being kind of annoying.  I think in this one it had to do with her not doing as well as she wanted (I can't remember exactly), and she kept going on about it.  Other than that I enjoyed it too.  

Yea she was upset tat she didnt get first and that everyone would be disappointed in her since she didnt win. I can understand that feeling. I likely would have felt the same

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

Yea she was upset tat she didnt get first and that everyone would be disappointed in her since she didnt win. I can understand that feeling. I likely would have felt the same

Yeah, I didn't really understand because I knew she knew better given that she came from Walnut Grove and there was a lot of competition, but at any rate, in the end it all worked out, as it usually does!  lol

• Love 1

It seems whenever Mary travels, the pattern is that she gets her hope up, get disappointed, and then a happy ending. The one with the test, and then the one where she reunite with John who dump her but then she meets Bobby Brady on the train.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

It seems whenever Mary travels, the pattern is that she gets her hope up, get disappointed, and then a happy ending. The one with the test, and then the one where she reunite with John who dump her but then she meets Bobby Brady on the train.

Yes, the Bobby Brady thing was funny!  And yes you are right, travelling isn't always so good for Mary for at least part of the episode.  I was disappointed that Bobby never actually moved to Walnut Grove--I mean we never saw them get together after that 🙂

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, alexa said:

Yes, the Bobby Brady thing was funny!  And yes you are right, travelling isn't always so good for Mary for at least part of the episode.  I was disappointed that Bobby never actually moved to Walnut Grove--I mean we never saw them get together after that 🙂

His character's name was Patrick, and one of the episodes shortly after that was the one with Patrick and the balloon guy, so I think it was maybe supposed to be the same character. Fake Patrick was way cuter than both Bobby Brady and balding balloon guy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2