Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Lisa418722 said:

Reading all the comments about Nels and Harriet, I think I've come to an unpopular decision - they were my favorite couple.  They weren't all "lovey dovey" with each other and they had their ups and downs, but always seemed to love each other in the end. 

I think a lot of the recent comments are positive about Nels and Harriet.

• Love 4

Watched 'The Award' yesterday - which, to me, is a very convoluted episode. I've always missed the beginning of it and now I finally saw it in it's entirety

First, I thought the book that was going to be given as an award was a dictionary.  I must've gotten up and walked out when Miss Beadle loaned Mary the book to study from - which I thought was said dictionary - which was why Mary was upset when it was destroyed in the fire and why she got that job at Olson's to earn money to purchase a replacement in time to award after the test.  But....I guess it was a different 'history' book.  That's what I get for walking away!

Mary had to sneak out to the barn in the middle of the night to study because she didn't want to wake Laura and thought Ma would get mad, but Caroline had no objection to Mary working at Olsons every day after school and all day on Saturday in addition to homework and chores.  And I don't recall Caroline questioning why Mary wanted to work so much (except at the end where she gave her a 50 cent coin to contribute to the household) rather than Mary just admitting the book Miss Beadle loaned her got burned and she wanted to replace it.  Just too much misunderstandings and not being honest.

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but the background instrumental music that played throughout this episode is the melody from The Music Box episode  (Dum dum dum........dum dum dum......)

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ctlady said:

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but the background instrumental music that played throughout this episode is the melody from The Music Box episode  (Dum dum dum........dum dum dum......)

They've used it several times, especially in the older episodes. They recycled a lot of music, and I recently read they used some music from LHotP for Highway to Heaven. 

• Love 1

I'm watching an episode I've never seen before - Money Crop. It's a little boring. Plenty of LH tropes - wagon accident, angry farmers overreacting, characters we will never see again, and Charles as voice of reason and savior. 

Edited by Superclam
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Superclam said:

I'm watching an episode I've never seen before - Money Crop. It's a little boring. Plenty of LH tropes - wagon accident, angry farmers overreacting, characters we will never see again, and Charles as voice of reason and savior. 

The theme was fine, but never seeing him again was typical and I wished they did appear again.  It was a lot of yelling and you knew Charles would be the one to get him, but it was nice seeing Harriet stick up for his wife and condemn the "nasty men". I liked seeing a real toy too, rare in Walnut Grove except dolls at the store.

My beef was it was the 1800's, wagon accidents happen all the time, robberies, etc. (even Mary would find that out) First thing they think of is he ran of with their money and left his very pregnant wife. Duh. My hubby who doesn't really like the show caught that one and said that reaction without any other thought was beyond the norm and just built to the dramatic rescue. But we know Charles is usually the savoir and got the town to help the family or they'd have to listen to him chastise them in church.  : )

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Superclam said:

They've used it several times, especially in the older episodes. They recycled a lot of music, and I recently read they used some music from LHotP for Highway to Heaven. 

It's probably just me but I hate that music so much it makes me skip the episode. Also that Laura's punishment was dealing with Nellie which was also her fault. She knew the worst that would happen is she'd have to help the Oleson's maybe with chores and Nellie looking on but the fact she stole was never really addressed. (I guess if I remember she was "borrowing it") James stealing was different and I remember more anger. I think he ran away and it was forgotten?

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Superclam said:

characters we will never see again,

I take this back! One of the angry mob was the blacksmith in The Richest Man in Walnut Grove. Also, as I've learned from iMDB, the character of "Baker Makay" was on 3 times, once as Abel's father. 

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

The Fred episode was silly, but it did give me immense pleasure seeing Fred knock several Walnut Grove denizens on their arses, most especially Charles.

Fred2.jpg

I remember that scene, i woke up saw Charles on teh ground and thought "good"

• Love 2

On another note, I caught the last episode of the 2 part "Gold Country" yesterday. I only vaguely recall it from my youth, and I haven't seen it this time around. Not a bad episode, but the guy who played Zachariah really over did it! 

• LOL 1

He played about 5 characters on the show but the suicide theme was a bit much. Did people do that back then as often or did Michael have an obsession with fire and death? He even had his father want to burn alive because his wife died. I know they lived through a lot but that was preferable to moving to Walnut Grove and being with your family. Did they really think a grave was "the person"? The loony dad that wanted his "wanton daughter" to die too in fire. Really not family oriented that way.  The blind school had to burn and kill.

I don't mind seeing a PTSD haunted guy die from morphine because that probably did happen and it was sad but believable.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

Walnut Grove was  a nice quiet town, a town with happiness, a friendly town, with a wave and a smile. No tornadoes, no plagues, hardly any sickness. The one day it all changed. A creepy feeling crawled through the atmosphere all because of this man. Tornadoes! Plauge! Anthrax! Fires! Town going bankrupt! This man ruined Walnut Grove

310?cb=20170823170441

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

Did they actually trick or treat back then?

I mean they were so poor what on earth could they give the kids?

Charles couldn't even provide a little sugar

I don't know what, if anything, they did in the 1870s/80s, but trick or treating for candy didn't really start until the 1920s.  I also don't know if soaping windows was a thing back then.  i never did stuff like that, but I think it would lose it's appeal if you have the store owner's blessing.  Then it's just a chore.

I just saw the episode where Laura goes to Arizona with Eliza Jane.  I have never seen that one before.  Eliza Jane was the biggest pain in the rump in that episode.  You would have thought she learned something about men after Harv.  Lol!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

I don't know what, if anything, they did in the 1870s/80s, but trick or treating for candy didn't really start until the 1920s.  I also don't know if soaping windows was a thing back then.  i never did stuff like that, but I think it would lose it's appeal if you have the store owner's blessing.  Then it's just a chore.

I found this  "In the late 1800s, there was a move in America to mold Halloween into a holiday more about community and neighborly get-togethers than about ghosts, pranks and witchcraft. At the turn of the century, Halloween parties for both children and adults became the most common way to celebrate the day. Bobbing for apples came later. 

I suppose the only house I'd go to is the Olesons who had plenty of candy ; )

• Love 3

Hey, I just watched Mary Goes Blind, Part II. I know everyone has to leave Walnut Grove because of some economic problem, but I missed what it was. The Rev. said something about "greed of others" or something like that, but what was it? 

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Hey, I just watched Mary Goes Blind, Part II. I know everyone has to leave Walnut Grove because of some economic problem, but I missed what it was. The Rev. said something about "greed of others" or something like that, but what was it? 

It had something to do with the railroad big wigs screwing over the farmers to make little on their crops.

• Useful 2

Yes Charles used Grange meeting a few time for visits. I think when they did their reunion and when Mary met John in the big bad city (and Ma stayed home) Unfortunately bigger farms were going to be able to sell for less and unless the small farmers pulled together it was hard. You could always feed yourself but making money to pay your bills was the purpose for most living off the land.

I remember having to look up what a grange was years ago. https://ap.gilderlehrman.org/resources/grange-movement-1875

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, jird said:

Watched "Election" today, which seemed appropriate.

Apparently class president isn't that important, since Elmer was never heard from again after his big victory.

Charles ran him out fo town I'm guessing

Typical day for Charles:

5:00 wake up, fall out of bed tripping on blanket, break 1 rib
530: milk the cow , get kicked by cow, break a rib
600: eat breakfast tell awful jokes
630: walk to walnut grove to the mill for work, trip on a rock, break a rib
710: show up late, get yelled at by Hansen. Walk away mad punch a board,board falls, hits a rock , which hits him in the head, falls backwards, breaks a rib
830: yells at Edwards to pick up the pace. Edwards trips Chalres, breaks a rib
12:00 lunch. Charles walks to Nels pay off debt, gets in a argument with Harriet, acts like a goody goody, trips walking out of store, breaks a rib
500: quittin time, happy to be heading home. not looking where walking , run into a wagon break a rib
600: home for supper, sit in chair, it breaks, break a rib
700: go out to finish chores, kids are throwing a ball, Charles goes to catch, misses and breaks rib
900: goes to bed but misses falls out of bed , breaks a rib

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, debraran said:

Yes Charles used Grange meeting a few time for visits.

Yeah, the grange also played a big part in a few of episodes. I just caught the one where they set up Charles & Mary in a nice hotel in Chicago. They send a hooker up to the room, not knowing, of course, that Charlie is the most moral man in not just Minnesota, not just these United States, but in the entire known universe. 

• LOL 4

I was thinking about all the times that Mary kind of sucked (ditching Patrick at the fair, being a crazy bossypants when Ma left her in charge, etc.), and then started thinking about all the other characters and their various times of suckitude. Was there ever an episode where Ma was a big jerk?

On 11/3/2020 at 3:05 PM, jird said:

Was there ever an episode where Ma was a big jerk?

I can think of a few. The noted one where Ma was a little OTT re Mary and the test (yes, in the moment, she was scared that Mary could have been killed in the barn fire) but it just dragged on so dang long and Ma, as the adult, should have sat Mary down and talked it out.

Her comment to Mary after she had spent several weeks at the blind school and made/served a lopsided cake: "It's as if this whole thing never happened."

Then, just a few episodes after the blind school fire that killed Adam Jr., Ma giggles with Pa about Laura and Almanzo finally getting together and tells Charles, "Welll, I'm just dying to call you Grandpa."

tenor.gif

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, jason88cubs said:

when they went to Winoka were the originally planning on staying their or wad the reaction so bad they decided to go back?

I always assumed the meant to stay.  Otherwise it was so pointless.  If they had temporarily wanted to move the Ingalls for just a few epis, I don't think they would have said the entire town was going bankrupt and had pretty much everyone go with them.

• Love 1

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the whole Winoka storyline came from production/scheduling issues with the Simi Valley location vs studio.  I'll have to pull out Melissa and Allison's books to see if I can find it.  Anyone remember hearing about this too?

• Love 2

You know how there's that joke, when a tv show has a special episode like drugs, or sexual assault , something totally different than what they usually do and people will joke and say "A very special episode"

I wonder if LHOP started that? lol

• LOL 2
  • Love 1