Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

The Carter boys had their own beds. Because during the Rage episode (man shoots his wife and daughter, then, crazily mistaking Laura and Jenny for his wife and daughter), he takes them hostage. Before he winds up at Laura’s home, he is spotted (although I don’t know if they knew who he was) by one or both boys outside the Carter home. Jen asks Jason if he wants to sleep with him and Jason can’t scurry over from his bed fast enough. 

RL Laura and Mary shared a bed all their lives (except for when Laura was away teaching or Mary was at college) until Laura married  I’m guessing it was more about keeping warm than anything else  I still remember the part in The Long Winter where Pa had to shovel snow off their beds  

• Love 2

Has anyone a fan or tried to watch Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman?  I tried a few years ago but could not get “into it.” 

I tried again recently, but failed miserably.  I read a bit of the Dr. Q thread here on this site, but there is not much to read,lolol.

Is it me?  For those who have watched the series, how does it compare to LH?  Character wise? Plot wise? Any overlap with LH tv plots? Lolol  Any nostalgia factor going on,  (other than Sully and his trademark hair, lol) or just growing up with the show?  Did you have to “be there” at the time, so to speak? 

The Laura/Almonzo factor, I think was a “be there at the time,” dynamic in real time.  I’m pretty sure my sister who is 12 years younger than me, and does not remember LH show at all, would shake her head at *that* romance. Lolol.   But also, as has been previously discussed,  watching it through adult eyes is completely different, especially if one has never seen the show before. 

When I watch the Laura/Almonzo material, it just takes me back to my memories of watching it in 5th? Grade.  🙂 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Wonkabar5 said:

Has anyone a fan or tried to watch Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman?  I tried a few years ago but could not get “into it.” 

I tried again recently, but failed miserably.  I read a bit of the Dr. Q thread here on this site, but there is not much to read,lolol.

Is it me?  For those who have watched the series, how does it compare to LH?  Character wise? Plot wise? Any overlap with LH tv plots? Lolol  Any nostalgia factor going on,  (other than Sully and his trademark hair, lol) or just growing up with the show?  Did you have to “be there” at the time, so to speak? 

The Laura/Almonzo factor, I think was a “be there at the time,” dynamic in real time.  I’m pretty sure my sister who is 12 years younger than me, and does not remember LH show at all, would shake her head at *that* romance. Lolol.   But also, as has been previously discussed,  watching it through adult eyes is completely different, especially if one has never seen the show before. 

When I watch the Laura/Almonzo material, it just takes me back to my memories of watching it in 5th? Grade.  🙂 

I was obsessed with Dr. Quinn when it was on. I was all of 6 and never missed an episode. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I've not watched it since, and I can't figure out exactly what the draw for me was. It probably was partially responsible (along with my fixation on the miniseries Son of the Morning Star a few years later--I wore out the VHS at the local rental store; they used to roll their eyes at me when I'd ask for it because that's the only thing I ever asked for) for my lifelong interest in the frontier, though. 

I recently rewatched Hawkeye, 90s show, and really enjoyed it, though it was super cheesy at times. I almost contemplated rewatching Dr. Quinn as a result, but I read some episode summaries, saw some screencaps, and backed away. 

4pMX5rJ4PYAEM.gif.cbb5f37c95a6aad48075095c69f18de9.gif

Edited by Zella
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

i never saw them eat fried chicken

isnt that sort of weird? you would think fried chicken would be huge back then

They didn't actually have it often, at least in real life, as you had to have a certain amount of chickens available before you got to that point.  It was a rare treat to have fried chicken in the books. 

6 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

The Carter boys had their own beds. Because during the Rage episode (man shoots his wife and daughter, then, crazily mistaking Laura and Jenny for his wife and daughter), he takes them hostage. Before he winds up at Laura’s home, he is spotted (although I don’t know if they knew who he was) by one or both boys outside the Carter home. Jen asks Jason if he wants to sleep with him and Jason can’t scurry over from his bed fast enough. 

RL Laura and Mary shared a bed all their lives (except for when Laura was away teaching or Mary was at college) until Laura married  I’m guessing it was more about keeping warm than anything else  I still remember the part in The Long Winter where Pa had to shovel snow off their beds  

I always felt like they did it in the show because as you said in the books, they always shared a bed (due to space constraints and warmth as you said).  There really wouldn't have been a reason for them to have separate beds for the show if they didn't in the books, but later it makes sense when there were more kids in the house and of various genders.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

I recall them eating it a few times.  There was one episode where Carrie was chowing down on a corn cob that looked very much like the half cobs you could get from KFC.  I saw an interview with Melissa Gilbert and she verified that the chicken meals were indeed catered from KFC.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Wonkabar5 said:

I liked Dr. Quinn when I happened to stumble upon it, but it wasn't a show I plan my tv week around.

Another show I liked was Christy starting Kellie Martin. Based on the book by Catherine Marshall. Sadly it only lasted for one season but they made a few movies years later to continue where the show left off.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

isnt that sort of weird? you would think fried chicken would be huge back then

I remember an episode where they ate cold fried chicken after church. Since they were all farmers and Doc was always getting paid in chickens, I assume they had plenty of them. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

Just watched "Blizzard"

Though we mock the people its truly amazing how they all pitch in to help

Great community

I recently watched that one for the first time, and it's a great episode! I had to drink cocoa to recover from feeling frozen myself. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

The one thing I never understood about "blizzard " is after Charles finds his kids he wants to track em back through the storm

I think he said something like the shed the girls took shelter in could blow over at any moment due to the wind. But it was still a dumb idea to make them walk back to the school. This show wasn't known for logic. 

I'm watching "My Ellen" and I can't believe that after Eloise tells Laura that it is her fault that Ellen died (because Laura was always asking her to go swimming), that neither Charles, Doc Baker, or Rev. Alden didn't take a moment to reassure Laura that it was just a mother's grief talking and that Laura wasn't to blame for what happened. That's the kind of stuff that could scar a person for life, but all 3 men just share a look and none of them bother to comfort a devastated & crying Laura, who is just a kid after all. Sure, Charles goes to talk to Laura once they get home but the poor girl was left to think about what Eloise said to her for quite a while before then.

You know who was really to blame for Ellen's death? Those 2 boys who were trying to sneak a peak at the naked girls in the pond. If they hadn't been there, then Ellen wouldn't have dived under the water in haste and drowned. Although...it was Carrie who revealed the peeping Toms, so maybe it was all her fault. (I kid)

So the men folk form a posse to look for the missing Laura on Busby's property. She's only been missing a few hours, school hasn't let out for the day, yet they call off the search in bright daylight because it's "going to be dark soon". LOL. Charles leaves by wagon to go home (still blinding light out) but by the time he gets home it is literally pitch dark. What?! Just how far apart were Busby's property and the Ingalls farm? Couldn't have been that far apart since Laura cut through his property on the way to school to get to the Taylors. Did the Ingalls live 2 hours outside of town? I know, I know, I shouldn't overthink this show.

At first I thought Laura was an idiot for not making a run for it when Eloise turned her back so that Laura could change clothes. But I can see where she was probably too scared at first, plus she was taught to respect adults. By the next morning, of course, spunky Laura returns and tricks Eloise and makes her escape. 

Y'know what else I liked? When Charles, believing Busby had kidnapped Laura, showed real fear that he'd never know what happened to Laura if Busby died from the gunshot wound. There wasn't a police force to call to mount a search for a missing kid in Walnut Grove; if her alleged kidnapper died all hope of finding her would die with him. That would probably drive Charles insane. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, bunnyblue said:

So the men folk form a posse to look for the missing Laura on Busby's property. She's only been missing a few hours, school hasn't let out for the day, yet they call off the search in bright daylight because it's "going to be dark soon". LOL. Charles leaves by wagon to go home (still blinding light out) but by the time he gets home it is literally pitch dark. What?!

I've been watching a lot of Westerns lately, both movies and shows, and this seems to be a recurring thing on every single one, and it cracks me up every time it happens. It looks like it's high noon, and they announce, "It'll be gettin' dark soon. Better set up camp."  🤣

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading here!  I don’t aways get the time to respond or be logged in properly and then the I-pad kicks me off for some reason.  😕 I forget which pages they were, but kudos to those posters who gave us a fan ‘s DALLAS-themed renditions of LH, and that lovely LH replica toy-house model.  🙂.    I didn’t even have the sound on and I was able to “hum-sing” the theme to match the Dallas-split screen graphics.  Wonderful!   LOL. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Superclam said:

For those of you who don't know, UpTV is showing the entire series (I think) all this week. Started with this morning. Watched the pilot and Harvest of Friends, and now an episode that our friend @Country girl will enjoy. 😄

If I watch it all week I might turn into Charles ingalls

• LOL 3
7 hours ago, Superclam said:

I've never seen the entire "Remember Me" before. That puppy scene was harrowing!! 

Any cruelty to animals makes me cringe. Later when "Mine" Alicia's pup dies, in the Johnny Cash episode, that was also done very well.

I don't know who was a "good parent" back then but many families lost a mom or dad and did okay (at least on LHOP) Alicia was asked to live with a rich single woman to get things she could never have but it never occurred to anyone to have her or the boys stay with Grace full time or Mrs Whipple? Maybe the boys with Lars or the Doc or the Olesons?  I know Grace didn't have a lot of money but she seemed to live by herself fine and if she got Alicia and the boys were nearby? Why was taking care of them any different than just their mom taking care of them before she got cancer? I  just thought the choices were awful (as they were meant to be) but if Grace could wing it as a foster mom while Charles looked, she could do it until Mr Edwards stepped up. 😉 Hey she ended up kicking Mr Edwards out anyway. Nothing beat Alicia's hand in Mr Edward's at the end but I just didn't understand if their mom did it without their Pa anymore than Grace could have without a husband and of course Charles helping as Charles does.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I kind of want the "What Would Charles Do?" t-shirt. That shower curtain - that really makes you think. 

Yes, some are silly and some I love. I see in the side there is more than shown. I like the tote and inside print of house might be cute on magnet.  I need to see if town is there later when I have more time to browse 

Edited by debraran
  • Love 4

I'm watching Quarantine for the first time in years. I laughed when they announced the children can't go to each other's houses to play, and the first person Laura looks at is Nellie.

However, I wish they concentrated on Mr. Edwards and Alicia without Laura inserted into their story. It would be nice to see other characters once in a while without an Ingalls horning in.

The separate scenes with how the Ingalls dealing with isolating in their home with three children was good but then they had to mesh the two stories. Let Alicia be the center of attention for once, dang it!

• Love 4

Re: red bubble- what an interesting site!  Thanks for the info. 🙂  You can type in just about anything. I tried “The Waltons” just for kicks and yes, it works.   Lol 

I also typed in “Little Women,” and the only items that popped up (so far) , hail from that annoying (to me) 2019 version with that annoying (to me) twit-Chalamet (sp?)

18 minutes ago, Wonkabar5 said:

Re: red bubble- what an interesting site!  Thanks for the info. 🙂  You can type in just about anything. I tried “The Waltons” just for kicks and yes, it works.   Lol 

It's true, I got lost in the Little House stuff for about half an hour. I typed in a death metal band I like, just to see, and it came up with about 6 different styles! 

• Love 1
On 12/26/2020 at 11:31 AM, jason88cubs said:

If I watch it all week I might turn into Charles ingalls

Keep an eye out for sudden urges to take off your shirt, shave your chest, tell someone off, or laugh heartily in public!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, jird said:

Keep an eye out for sudden urges to take off your shirt, shave your chest, tell someone off, or laugh heartily in public!

And take extra precautions with your ribs! 

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

However, I wish they concentrated on Mr. Edwards and Alicia without Laura inserted into their story. It would be nice to see other characters once in a while without an Ingalls horning in.

I agree. It annoyed me that once Laura joined them in the cabin it became all about Laura and how everyone was soooo worried about her. Poor Alicia took a back seat. And then when they realized Laura had poison ivy and not "the fever" and they all broke out into relived laughter, I wondered why there wasn't a similar joyous reaction when they realized Alicia had recovered. Yeah, yeah, Laura was the child star of the show but it was annoyingly obvious how they shoehorned her in to what should have been a story about Mr. Edwards and his daughter. 

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, bunnyblue said:

I agree. It annoyed me that once Laura joined them in the cabin it became all about Laura and how everyone was soooo worried about her. Poor Alicia took a back seat. And then when they realized Laura had poison ivy and not "the fever" and they all broke out into relived laughter, I wondered why there wasn't a similar joyous reaction when they realized Alicia had recovered. Yeah, yeah, Laura was the child star of the show but it was annoyingly obvious how they shoehorned her in to what should have been a story about Mr. Edwards and his daughter. 

Laura was really insufferable in that episode just in general. 

• Love 4

"Second Chance" was on tv today, Sam Terhune came to town,Hester Sue's ex, and he comes into town , sees Charles and says "You must be Charles Ingalls" and Charles goes "yep thats me"

BUT

what should have happened was Charles should have been shirtless, Sam says "You must be Charles Ingalls" Chalres says "What gave you that idea?" and Sam says "i was told you'd be the only person shirtless"

Edited by jason88cubs
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

"Second Chance" was on tv today, Sam Terhune came to town,Hester Sue's ex, and he comes into town , sees Charles and says "You must be Charles Ingalls" and Charles goes "yep thats me"

BUT

what should have happened was Charles should have been shirtless, Sam says "You must be Charles Ingalls" Chalres says "What gave you that idea?" and Sam says "i was told you'd be the only person shirtless"

On 12/27/2020 at 10:20 PM, Superclam said:

I've never seen the entire "Remember Me" before. That puppy scene was harrowing!! 

I can still barely bring myself to watch that part. Although it’s the only episode where Mary wears braids. 

I enjoyed the PBS special for the most part.  One of the commentators was a little negative at times.  I felt like she was kind of insulting about how if Pa had stayed in Wisconsin they could have saved themselves a lot of trouble.  How does she know that?  Also, that is their story...their journey, and why there were so many stories to tell.  And to be fair they had decent lives in DeSmet and ended up staying there.  

I also feel weird about the racist concerns.  Not because people have them, but because the stories depicted a part of history and how those situations were often described.  I wish if they were going to go there they would have also mentioned the many times Pa befriended or at least treated others respectfully.  It wasn’t all bad.  I just don’t know that you can ignore the past completely, and I don’t think it speaks against her books to address how things were perceived at the time.

I also wasn’t sure why the big story was Rose’s editing. It isn’t like Laura didn’t write any of it, or they were keeping a terrible secret. I guess I didn’t know that was such a thing that people found out that Rose helped.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, alexa said:

I enjoyed the PBS special for the most part.  One of the commentators was a little negative at times.  I felt like she was kind of insulting about how if Pa had stayed in Wisconsin they could have saved themselves a lot of trouble.  How does she know that?  Also, that is their story...their journey, and why there were so many stories to tell.  And to be fair they had decent lives in DeSmet and ended up staying there.  

I also feel weird about the racist concerns.  Not because people have them, but because the stories depicted a part of history and how those situations were often described.  I wish if they were going to go there they would have also mentioned the many times Pa befriended or at least treated others respectfully.  It wasn’t all bad.  I just don’t know that you can ignore the past completely, and I don’t think it speaks against her books to address how things were perceived at the time.

I also wasn’t sure why the big story was Rose’s editing. It isn’t like Laura didn’t write any of it, or they were keeping a terrible secret. I guess I didn’t know that was such a thing that people found out that Rose helped.

I didn't see special but yes, the books were written about a time when people were racist and thought taking land from the Indians was okay since they were different from them. I believe the only thoughts on racism was mainly because it was children reading it and they might be confused, not understanding why a beloved character is saying that. The show is different, Michael goes out of his way to show the family different than the times, they just love Hester Sue, the black runaway, they wish they could adopt, he can go to school in Walnut Grove, they will see the black doctor when others wont, the Native American Indian saves them in the storm, the Jewish man was wise, not the devil.  I LOVE it even if not historical and it gave a  very good message. I wouldn't want to read those parts out loud in the books if someone who was a minority was in the room. That happened with a Native American girl and it caused teasing and distress. I would talk about it if all the children were white too. You don't need a lot of words to get the point across.

If you have good parents that will say how wrong those statements were and why they felt that way, it's fine but most children's books aren't written that way, it's books for teens up that have more adult content.

I felt my children reacted a lot like this woman did in this article and like her mom, my daughter is now an English professor. I did what this person did as a kid, I blew by it and erased it from memory. My kids are mixed race and they didn't blow by it. They felt it more and I honor that feeling. They liked the show and some of the books but having a disclaimer isn't an awful thing for a young child

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/6/26/17502346/laura-ingalls-wilder-award-little-house-books-racism

Edited by debraran
  • Love 8
29 minutes ago, debraran said:

I didn't see special but yes, the books were written about a time when people were racist and thought taking land from the Indians was okay since they were different from them. I believe the only thoughts on racism was mainly because it was children reading it and they might be confused, not understanding why a beloved character is saying that. The show is different, Michael goes out of his way to show the family different than the times, they just love Hester Sue, the black runaway, they wish they could adopt, he can go to school in Walnut Grove, they will see the black doctor when others wont, the Native American Indian saves them in the storm, the Jewish man was wise, not the devil.  I LOVE it even if not historical and it gave a  very good message. I wouldn't want to read those parts out loud in the books if someone who was a minority was in the room. That happened with a Native American girl and it caused teasing and distress. I would talk about it if all the children were white too. You don't need a lot of words to get the point across.

If you have good parents that will say how wrong those statements were and why they felt that way, it's fine but most children's books aren't written that way, it's books for teens up that have more adult content.

I felt my children reacted a lot like this woman did in this article and like her mom, my daughter is now an English professor. I did what this person did as a kid, I blew by it and erased it from memory. My kids are mixed race and they didn't blow by it. They felt it more and I honor that feeling. They liked the show and some of the books but having a disclaimer isn't an awful thing for a young child

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/6/26/17502346/laura-ingalls-wilder-award-little-house-books-racism

I agree...a disclaimer of sorts definitely makes sense.

• Love 5

I saw the PBS show and while I didn't learn anything new, I like it anyway. It was nice seeing visuals to go along with the discussions.

A poster above mentioned the negative woman and she turned me off. Glad I wasn't the only one to notice. The others either had a balance, or gave reasons why/how issues (like the racism) affected them. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

I saw the PBS show and while I didn't learn anything new, I like it anyway. It was nice seeing visuals to go along with the discussions.

A poster above mentioned the negative woman and she turned me off. Glad I wasn't the only one to notice. The others either had a balance, or gave reasons why/how issues (like the racism) affected them. 

I agree, I found it interesting, and I was the one mentioning the negative lady.  It bugged me too because she kept reminding me of someone and I can't figure out who.  The way she talked, looked, threw in the criticisms, everything.  lol.  I think she just had a skewed vision of everything LIW, which was odd given it is just a person's experience and life (not referring to the racism, but other things she mentioned about Laura, Pa, etc).  It isn't up to us to change her life and what they did--and again, her life as it was is part of the reason there are those stories today.  And the fact that she was insulting about how he never seemed to make it, etc--well, I think that was very common in pioneer life.  It was one challenge after another.  It isn't like there were tons of rich people in those parts.  

• Love 4

I haven’t seen the PBS show yet, but ITA with the comments re Laura and racism being a part of her books. Because that was part of her WORLD. It did bug me that they renamed that literary award after all these years because of the racism in her books. Which again, was there all along. While I, too, cringed as an adult and even a teen, reading Ma’s view of Native Americans or Pa in blackface, among other examples, this was what was happening in the world. And Laura (or Laura and Rose) told it how it was. I don’t applaud that racism happened obviously but I can appreciate that Laura et al could have attempted to whitewash these instances or omitted them entirely. For me, in these more turbulent than ever times, their inclusion presents an opportunity for education and real dialogue about racism, privilege, and micro aggressions. Particularly children and teens for whom these conversations are so very critical. 

• Love 5

I've recently been reading the Little House books for the first time as a thirty-something-year old. The books undoubtedly have their unpalatable moments by modern standards, but overall, I've enjoyed them and I feel like they often quietly critique the racist assumptions that Caroline especially has. When she complains about not wanting to be around Indians, Laura asks her, "Why did we move to Indian Territory?" Big Jerry is also used to undercut her dismissive attitude toward "halfbreeds." And I am perplexed that people on the internet at large act like it is only a recent realization that Pa was in Indian Territory illegally. I thought that was subtly made clear at the end of the Little House on the Prairie book when he says something along the lines of, I wouldn't have moved here if I'd thought the government wasn't going to do something--meaning he made incorrect assumptions and acted on them. 

As for Pa's failures, I do spend a lot of time Monday morning quarterbacking him--him just straight up trading his livestock for a homestead in Minnesota without asking any questions flabbergasted me--but I think his struggles are very emblematic of why many people kept moving West. They didn't have great agricultural land, so they were always moving onward trying to find better, without realizing that a lot of the land wasn't great for farming, so it just led to a vicious cycle. He undoubtedly had some wanderlust mixed in there and reminds me of my own dad in that way, but I'm not sure the crop failures are indicative of anything other than poor luck that afflicted many other settlers. 

I don't think the books should be taught without context and conversations about how and why attitudes change throughout history, but I also don't think the things that are problematic about them mean they just shouldn't be taught. 

Personally, my inner former teacher thinks it would be a lot of fun to teach them as a unit alongside Louise Erdrich's Birchbark House series. 

• Love 6

Did the show have anything about spousal abuse?

I know there was the child abuse episode "Child of Pain" but was there any episodes of a husband beating his wife? I cant recall any and I think that's the one topic they never touched if I'm not mistaken

• Love 1

What about the one where Charles is buying horses from some rich guy, so he stays at the rich guy's house, and the rich guy is a drunk and his family hates him? That's some big-time Charles is the greatest man ever. 

Edited by Superclam
  • LOL 3
31 minutes ago, Superclam said:

What about the one where Charles is buying horses from some rich guy, so he stays at the rich guy's house, and the rich guy is a drunk and his family hates him? That's some big-time Charles is the greatest man ever. 

didnt the wife act like she was gonna leave her husband for Charles?

• LOL 1
2 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

didnt the wife act like she was gonna leave her husband for Charles?

Much less subtle than Handyman but no one complains about the flirting Charles did .  The hand thing was a bit much. Glad savior Charles fixed another family though  🙂

• LOL 2
  • Love 1