Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

One of my top 5 fave episodes are Back To School Pt 1 & 2.  While watching Pt 1 the other day, I realized something when Mrs. Oleson took an interest in Almanzo as a suitor for Nellie.  Considering Almanzo is pretty much a farmer, wouldn't that choice of a potential husband for Nellie be below 'the standard of living in which she's been accustomed to'?  Remember how mortified Harriet was when Nellie fell for the young pig farmer?

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, ctlady said:

One of my top 5 fave episodes are Back To School Pt 1 & 2.  While watching Pt 1 the other day, I realized something when Mrs. Oleson took an interest in Almanzo as a suitor for Nellie.  Considering Almanzo is pretty much a farmer, wouldn't that choice of a potential husband for Nellie be below 'the standard of living in which she's been accustomed to'?  Remember how mortified Harriet was when Nellie fell for the young pig farmer?

That's true and Almonzo wasn't dumb but definitely rougher around the edges than Nel's or Percival or even Charles in some ways. Always had him a little dense at times. Maybe she felt Nellie would be the boss like she was and he had other income.

I know girls went to women's colleges then and I feel Nellie should have if Percival didn't come. She was smart and then she would have met some men who were more cultured like her mom wanted or a store owner or restaurant or whatever. She could never be doing the work Caroline did. I don't know if Harriet did but they never showed it often. Laundry, yes once or twice but gardening or churning or even having cows etc was never shown. I assumed she bought a lot of it from others.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, debraran said:

I don't know if Harriet did but they never showed it often. Laundry, yes once or twice but gardening or churning or even having cows etc was never shown. I assumed she bought a lot of it from others.

I am also suprised the Oleson's didn't have a live in maid or handman.  I guess Kezia filled that role for a short time.  I can't comrehend how they managed to run the store and a household ith 2 lazy children and no help.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I am also suprised the Oleson's didn't have a live in maid or handman.  I guess Kezia filled that role for a short time.  I can't comrehend how they managed to run the store and a household ith 2 lazy children and no help.

lol...and they always had a nice dinner, roast and veggies and potatoes and bread. Nice dishes got washed and put away. And Willie could eat! I still wonder how they bought all that stuff before it was paid for by customers and all the freebies that were given away or donated and the people who ran off without paying etc. Not like a city store where I'm sure they were stricter.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, debraran said:

lol...and they always had a nice dinner, roast and veggies and potatoes and bread. Nice dishes got washed and put away. And Willie could eat! I still wonder how they bought all that stuff before it was paid for by customers and all the freebies that were given away or donated and the people who ran off without paying etc. Not like a city store where I'm sure they were stricter.

makes me wonder how someone like miss Beadle got her meat. Did she exchange for desserts or possible sewing or something?

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, ctlady said:

Maybe the pig farmer gave her a new standard of suitor measurement? LOL

Personally, I had a hard time seeing Nellie herself being interested in a pig farmer, though otherwise I found that episode entertaining as hell. 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

makes me wonder how someone like miss Beadle got her meat. Did she exchange for desserts or possible sewing or something?

In the book Farmer Boy, the families of the students take turns boarding the teacher so that takes care of his meals. But that's not the case with Miss Beadle. I guess we're to assume non-farmers can buy fresh food and bread somewhere. At least there are wild berry bushes for free fruit. They also fish for free.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

In the book Farmer Boy, the families of the students take turns boarding the teacher so that takes care of his meals. But that's not the case with Miss Beadle. I guess we're to assume non-farmers can buy fresh food and bread somewhere. At least there are wild berry bushes for free fruit. They also fish for free.

My understanding is school teachers at the time in rural areas almost inevitably boarded with a family. A boardinghouse would have also probably worked as an alternative if there was one in the town. I think it was partially a matter of practicality in that they wouldn't have time for the labor-intensive housekeeping/cooking of the era with the demands of their job, and it was also a matter of propriety (didn't want to have people gossiping about the morals of the local teacher, especially if she were a woman, so her boarding with a respectable local family or in a respectable local boardinghouse would protect her reputation.) 

Edited to add: In either case, her meals would be covered. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, ctlady said:

I think by that point, Harriet despaired of someone taking Nellie, who was nasty, prone to fits of breaking everything within reach, and couldn’t cook to boot, off their hands. So Zaldamo started looking pretty good to her at that point. 

2 hours ago, Zella said:

Maybe the pig farmer gave her a new standard of suitor measurement? LOL

Personally, I had a hard time seeing Nellie herself being interested in a pig farmer, though otherwise I found that episode entertaining as hell. 

He was smitten with her from the start. That her mother hated him on sight was like extra catnip to her. 

And remember how Percival had her at “pretty?” 

Nellie would have taken up with Tinker Jones, Balloon Man Cass, or Gambini the Crispy if they had looked at her twice  

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

He was smitten with her from the start. That her mother hated him on sight was like extra catnip her. 

And remember how Percival had her at “pretty?” 

I'm not that far yet actually! (And have never watched it before.) Mary will probably go blind tonight if I get to watch the next 2 episodes. Otherwise, she'll go blind tomorrow. What season does Percival pop up? 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Percival first shows up in Season 6 in episode 26 (He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not). 

Ah okay I've got a ways to go. I'm both intrigued by and dreading the episodes where they all move away from Walnut Grove because it sounds so bonkers. 

• Love 1

I watched the morphine show last night on TV (Cozi had it). The best part to me after seeing it too often, was the store owner who played Charles friend in another show who dies of a heart attack (the one where he makes furniture) I liked him and hoped they stayed friends.

They didn't show the student Albert hits in a rage but he was punching him a lot, really hard and he socked the teacher, Miss Plum pretty hard also. No mark on her face was made at all. She's telling Charles and I'm like, is it my TV or not even a red mark? Was that kid ok? 😮

The vomit etc isn't effective the way it was when I much younger and Charles either really worked on his chest or put on some weight because it seemed puffed out the whole show. He tells Laura it's going to get bad, he knows the worse isn't over but when she says "what will happen" he says he doesn't know. He also was probably remembering the drunk he helped with the cute son Graham.

It also annoyed me because Albert didn't become a doctor, he died of leukemia, because no one could have any happiness, even a fictitious character. 

So I'll always love the younger years, but am having trouble with later ones. Nice thing now is that you can skip and watch what you want on Amazon Prime.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5
On 6/13/2020 at 6:35 PM, Katy M said:

If they had kids they would move in with them.  If not, maybe a sibling.  If they were young widows, they would do their best to remarry.  So would widowers in order to have a mother for their children.

This situation happened among my own ancestors. From what I’ve read it wasn’t uncommon. When a  woman died with young children and she had a single sister the husband many times  married the sister for practical reasons . She was needed care for her late sister’s children and it wasn’t considered proper for a single man and women to share a home even under those  circumstances. So they would get married.

Edited by Cara
  • Love 3
On 1/9/2021 at 4:35 AM, debraran said:

It also annoyed me because Albert didn't become a doctor, he died of leukemia, because no one could have any happiness, even a fictitious character. 

So I'll always love the younger years, but am having trouble with later ones. Nice thing now is that you can skip and watch what you want on Amazon Prime.

Since the show couldn't be bothered with continuity, I made up my mind long ago that Albert did live and become a doctor. I don't know what the hell ML was on when he came up with the series finale, but blowing up Walnut Grove and Albert dying - even after Laura said that he returned to WG to become its doctor - makes zero sense and flies in the face of what was established in previous seasons. 

I love that Little House is on Amazon Prime because I don't have to search for it on cable and can skip the episodes I don't like. I never watch past season 6, though, because I remember just how bad it got in the later seasons. It was already struggling by the 5th season but once Laura got married and Charles adopted Jason Bateman and his sister the show just wasn't the same. And even as a kid, I knew to avoid the Jenny & Nancy seasons like the plague, and definitely won't subject myself to them as an adult.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

Since the show couldn't be bothered with continuity, I made up my mind long ago that Albert did live and become a doctor. I don't know what the hell ML was on when he came up with the series finale, but blowing up Walnut Grove and Albert dying - even after Laura said that he returned to WG to become its doctor - makes zero sense and flies in the face of what was established in previous seasons. 

I love that Little House is on Amazon Prime because I don't have to search for it on cable and can skip the episodes I don't like. I never watch past season 6, though, because I remember just how bad it got in the later seasons. It was already struggling by the 5th season but once Laura got married and Charles adopted Jason Bateman and his sister the show just wasn't the same. And even as a kid, I knew to avoid the Jenny & Nancy seasons like the plague, and definitely won't subject myself to them as an adult.

Yes, another thing I like about Amazon Prime, is that the shows are longer, no commercials and the trivia you can see on the side, it will show you tidbits about each show and also the names of each person in the scene and some goofs some of us haven't caught yet. ; )

I kind of end things myself too. I hate when a show just doesn't seem to care anymore. I respectfully rewrite it many times. Cassandra and James killed it for me years ago, I was like "You can take them in and Albert but the Sanderson's had to go to others?  That intertwined with Nancy was the nail in the coffin and it's sad but as you said, you can switch around  endings on your own. You can make up where they went in your head and what they became and not kill off any loose ends.

• Love 2

In the later seasons, I liked them dunking Nancy. I liked the return of Nellie until it turned the focus on Nancy. Oh, and the episode with Willie getting married was sweet. 

But yeah, there were many boring and silly episodes. I don't care about the Carters. If they must have a new family, why not move in Royal and his family? Why did they kill off the parents and what happened to the boys?

• Love 5

I'm already a passenger on the Stagecoach to Hell but the conversation of morPHINE Albert smacking the snot out of Jeb Carter reminded me that I snickered during that scene as I couldn't stand him or his stupid little brother.

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, CountryGirl said:

I'm already a passenger on the Stagecoach to Hell but the conversation of morPHINE Albert smacking the snot out of Jeb Carter reminded me that I snickered during that scene as I couldn't stand him or his stupid little brother.

He really socked him but they never showed Jeb on the ground. As I said above, Miss Plum didn't have a mark either (makeup/cindy off that day) I didn't like seeing the Carter's in Ingall's house, seemed so crowded although she did more with it than Caroline did. The only show I liked with them was with the widow (so many widows) and the little brother was her friend. His mom was very jealous and should have understood having relationships with older men and women is just done on this show. : ) Mr Carter was cute but the dumb shows with Almonzo didn't give him a lot of room to grow. The newspaper and other things were just rehashed again.

I liked Willie's wedding and it gave Jonathan a nice send off but the "I can't keep my hands off of you " I thought was a bit overdone. But then again they were married and I was glad the rape/fires were behind us. He didn't want to stay but a spinoff with Nellie and Willie and their spouses might have been funny  with drop-ins from other Ingall's. At least a year or so I could have seen it last depending on the writers. Nels always liked Jon and spoke highly of him and it's too bad his family life was so awful.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, debraran said:

a spinoff with Nellie and Willie and their spouses might have been funny  with drop-ins from other Ingall's. 

I'm not this far--in the bizarro world that is Winoka--but I find the Olesons so much more entertaining than the Ingalls. I'd watch the hell out of a series that just starred Harriet, Nellie, and Willie with the periodic visit by the Ingalls. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

I'm not this far--in the bizarro world that is Winoka--but I find the Olesons so much more entertaining than the Ingalls. I'd watch the hell out of a series that just starred Harriet, Nellie, and Willie with the periodic visit by the Ingalls. 

That's what I meant, they were gems. Funny, great actors, with better scripts, it would have been so much better than the movies made with Laura. Not Winoka, maybe the NYC or a city that Charles didn't demonize everyone there. ; )

• LOL 4

I will take a hundred Jeb Carters over James. Apologies to tiny Jason Bateman, but I wanted to smack that kid every damn time he was on my screen.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, jird said:

I will take a hundred Jeb Carters over James. Apologies to tiny Jason Bateman, but I wanted to smack that kid every damn time he was on my screen.

You mean, you didn't melt with James' "Gee, Mr. Ingalls? Geeee."? 

And I couldn't stand bug-eyed Cassandra and her "Mistah Ingahs Mistah Ingahs!" either. WTAF when Carrie was right there. And if the Greenbush twins weren't up to the challenge really expanding Carrie needed (newsflash - they weren't), they could have recast. It always grated that Carrie, who was much closer to Laura in age than show would have you believe (3 years in fact) was practically a piece of furniture in the show. See also, perennially stuck in her highchair even when she was four years old Grace.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

It always grated that Carrie, who was much closer to Laura in age than show would have you believe (3 years in fact) was practically a piece of furniture in the show.

I'm reading the books for the first time, and I'm up to "The Long Winter." It's very interesting that it's now Laura and Carrie as a team, rather than Laura and Mary. It's also interesting that Carrie is written like a real person, as opposed to the 10 year old toddler we see on the show. 

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I'm reading the books for the first time, and I'm up to "The Long Winter." It's very interesting that it's now Laura and Carrie as a team, rather than Laura and Mary. It's also interesting that Carrie is written like a real person, as opposed to the 10 year old toddler we see on the show. 

I'm reading the books for the first time too! (Just wrapped up Little Town on the Prairie.) And that stood out to me too.

• Love 4

You mean, you didn't melt with James' "Gee, Mr. Ingalls? Geeee."? 

And I couldn't stand bug-eyed Cassandra and her "Mistah Ingahs Mistah Ingahs!" either. WTAF when Carrie was right there. And if the Greenbush twins weren't up to the challenge really expanding Carrie needed (newsflash - they weren't), they could have recast. It always grated that Carrie, who was much closer to Laura in age than show would have you believe (3 years in fact) was practically a piece of furniture in the show. See also, perennially stuck in her highchair even when she was four years old Grace.

It always bothered me too about Carrie.  Clearly they weren’t good actors so they tried to hide her, but she was a major character of the family and recasting would have made sense to allow her to actually speak once in a while.  

• Love 6
8 hours ago, alexa said:

It always bothered me too about Carrie.  Clearly they weren’t good actors so they tried to hide her, but she was a major character of the family and recasting would have made sense to allow her to actually speak once in a while.  

Both girls complained that they were made "young" on purpose, he liked all of them young but they also didn't have the ability Melissa had etc. I don't understand why Michael gave them that awful show, no amount of complaining about "Alyssa" could explain why someone WROTE it. He seemed to have it out for them or her family. He knew being 90min it would get lost like the other 90 minute shows. I also don't understand why she had to sit there at school when older and in braids and not say one word. ONE. She couldn't answer a question from the teacher? She couldn't say 3 words? At the table, she couldn't say how good the stew was? Was she paid by the word?  She said Mike was not always nice, very strict but when discussing that Godsister show, said he was so pleased every take took once, he didn't have to re-shoot. I always thought that was odd, it ws like he didn't care. It's done with now but I try not to pick on them because it was choices made early on. I just feel anyone can say a few lines without too much trouble. As she said  "In 2001, Rachel told People magazine, "Michael never made it fun for us. I was always petrified I was going to make a mistake."

Edited by debraran
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

I do remember seeing Melissa's recent interview on CBS Sunday Morning last month where she talked about one experience with ML that wasn't as pleasant.

“Only one time did I not know my lines,” she said. “And it only happened once. And I kept forgetting and I kept forgetting. And Michael finally cut and he said, ‘You don’t know your lines, do you?’ And I just started crying. So, he cleared the set. He made everybody go away.”

“Just burst into tears,” Gilbert continued, “’cause I was busted. And he said, ‘Just calm down. We’re gonna do this. You’re gonna learn your lines.’ And we did it and we did it and we did it. And I finally got it. And I was ready. And I said, ‘Thank you so much.’ And I gave him a hug. And he said, ‘You’re so welcome.’ And then he got down right in front of me and he said, ‘And that is never happening again, is it?'”

It never did happen again.

There was something in her voice that made me think when he got down in front of her, it was very intense and scary, even if it was just "words," especially for a young girl. 

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

I do remember seeing Melissa's recent interview on CBS Sunday Morning last month where she talked about one experience with ML that wasn't as pleasant.

“Only one time did I not know my lines,” she said. “And it only happened once. And I kept forgetting and I kept forgetting. And Michael finally cut and he said, ‘You don’t know your lines, do you?’ And I just started crying. So, he cleared the set. He made everybody go away.”

“Just burst into tears,” Gilbert continued, “’cause I was busted. And he said, ‘Just calm down. We’re gonna do this. You’re gonna learn your lines.’ And we did it and we did it and we did it. And I finally got it. And I was ready. And I said, ‘Thank you so much.’ And I gave him a hug. And he said, ‘You’re so welcome.’ And then he got down right in front of me and he said, ‘And that is never happening again, is it?'”

It never did happen again.

There was something in her voice that made me think when he got down in front of her, it was very intense and scary, even if it was just "words," especially for a young girl. 

I remember hearing that from her in an interview some years ago and thinking exactly the same thing - it was clearly really scary and intimidating for her, especially for a young child that had so many lines in each show.

13 hours ago, Superclam said:

Yes! The show missed such an opportunity to have Laura and Carrie be friends, especially after Mary left town. Instead they just kept Carrie mute and Laura spending all her time running around with random boys.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I'm more familiar with Michael Landon's behavior on the Bonanza set because I've watched way more Bonanza, but I always got the impression that, while he could be charming, he could also be quite difficult. So, I'm not really surprised.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Zella said:

I'm more familiar with Michael Landon's behavior on the Bonanza set because I've watched way more Bonanza, but I always got the impression that, while he could be charming, he could also be quite difficult. So, I'm not really surprised.

He had that reputation.  He could be fun but if you didn’t like his fun, his practical jokes, tough luck. The drinking etc might have added to it at times .  Mrs Garvey said she asked to change a scene once and he let her but others warned not to do that twice.  ( she insisted it was better!) 😉. I wish she could have changed a few more. 
I would have cried too if Melissa. I felt bad for Carrie twins too 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, debraran said:

He had that reputation.  He could be fun but if you didn’t like his fun, his practical jokes, tough luck. The drinking etc might have added to it at times .  Mrs Garvey said she asked to change a scene once and he let her but others warned not to do that twice.  ( she insisted it was better!) 😉. I wish she could have changed a few more. 
I would have cried too if Melissa. I felt bad for Carrie twins too 

I'm pretty sure he also lied about Pernell Roberts (who was no picnic to deal with either 😄. He used to claim in interviews that Pernell wouldn't speak to him on the set of Bonanza. But there's a lot of evidence that suggests that wasn't actually true. Apparently Michael got butthurt when Pernell said he didn't challenge himself as an actor but should and held a grudge about it for years. I think Michael then rewrote history and had Pernell snubbing him from the beginning, purely out of spite, and he knew people would believe it since Pernell also had a reputation as difficult.

I read an interview with Pernell, who was very blunt and never apologized for all the things he'd said about Bonanza, but he emphatically apologized for his comments about Michael being misconstrued, and he even said something along the lines of him repeatedly trying to apologize to Michael about it. 

I've also read that Michael Landon increasingly became a real diva on the Bonanza set, especially after he started writing and directing episodes. He would hold up production to argue about every detail. The showrunner conceded that Michael was a talented writer and director, but that seemed to make his behavior worse as he realized it.

Incidentally, the first episode he wrote of Bonanza is pretty bad and shows some of his worst instincts as a storyteller, IMO. Little Joe is basically Rambo and is the only one who gets to do anything interesting. The rest of the Cartwrights look ready to fall asleep through the whole episode though their lives are in danger. 😄 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

It seems to me that they left Carrie mute because the twins were pretty mediocre actors.  It's too bad because I agree that more Laura/Carrie as friends episodes would have been a nice change.  Did both twins continue working on the show as they got older or was one of them phased out??  I read Alison and Laura's books and they said that the Greenbush mom was loud, brash and a typical stage mom.  Too bad she didn't send them to more or better acting classes.

Edited by BigBingerBro
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
Just now, BigBingerBro said:

It seems to me that they left Carrie mute because the twins were pretty mediocre actors.  It's too bad because I agree that more Laura/Carrie as friends episodes would have been a nice change.  Did both twins continue working on the show as they got older or was one of them phased out??  I read Alison and Laura's books and they said that the Greenbush mom was loud, brash and a typical stage mom.  Too bad she didn't send them to more or better acting classes.

I suspect you're right. I didn't mind Carrie when she was little, but I'm in season 5 now, and the girls have trouble saying basic lines. And I don't just mean because they're little kids and can't enunciate their words. I know it's not their fault because they were small children, but if I'd been saddled with them on set, I wouldn't have been highlighting them in scenes either. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

Michael Landon was always good at getting you sucked in with the emotional tearjerker moments

And if he was featured front and center, all the better.

giphy.gif

d3cd2a5f4649f6648fae992139426c8cdacabe27

On 1/7/2021 at 11:34 AM, BigBingerBro said:

It certainly was!

2912b1b99aa3fcb2b64f5bd638610062.jpg

Seeing Mary and Laura's crocheted doilies, ahem, winter hats, made me think of this:

tenor.gif

• Love 4
7 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I always wished there was  abit more episodes regarding the Doc. I guess they couldnt do too much for his character though but I always liked him alot

I liked him too and he always got the doc trying to replace him or the "vet" jokes and only one young woman who almost married him. I could never believe an educated, average looking, very kind doctor could never find a date. With all the widows and ladies around, he was a good catch!The show was on for 10 years or so and one girlfriend.  Sad.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, debraran said:

I liked him too and he always got the doc trying to replace him or the "vet" jokes and only one young woman who almost married him. I could never believe an educated, average looking, very kind doctor could never find a date. With all the widows and ladies around, he was a good catch!The show was on for 10 years or so and one girlfriend.  Sad.

Yes! He and Grace clearly got along and had similar interests, and it always seemed crazy to me that she just sat around alone until the irresistible smelly old Mr. Edwards showed up to sweep her off her feet.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Zella said:

She's a national treasure in her own horrid way! 

Me too and smart. She was controlling but I liked (even if rude at times) she stuck up for herself or changed dumb lines to the chagrin of Michael or other writers. An article quoting Alison in her book, The problem was, MacGregor’s love of changing the script and director’s cues wasn’t limited to her role. She worked on everyone else as well. Some of the actors such as Dean Butler who played Almanzo Wilder and Karen Grassle who portrayed Caroline Ingalls on the series sought out her advice. Sometimes if she didn’t care for the lines, she simply changed them,” Alison wrote. “This drove Michael [Landon] and [show producer] Bill Claxton nearly insane, but she would not be swayed.” I had to laugh, I could see that so clearly.

I know someone else told Michael lighting and delivery could be better and he agreed but she knew not to do it again. It was in an interview with either Mrs Garvey or Miss Beadle (think Garvey because of blind school episode)

Edited by debraran
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2