Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

FWIW, I was not surprised that ML fooled around but I was surprised he was a rather intense drunk- albeit he somehow managed to keep a tight work schedule. I mean, Charles was a rather aggressive teetotaler  complete with episodes in which he forced others to sober up. Well, not the first time someone played opposite his offstage persona. BTW, ML was the late Lynn Landon's 3rd husband and they started their affair while both were married to other folks so I  had to laugh when she'd get so righteous on talk shows and magazines about his leaving her. I mean, with their history how she could claim to have been surprised that this would happen.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Blergh said:

FWIW, I was not surprised that ML fooled around but I was surprised he was a rather intense drunk- albeit he somehow managed to keep a tight work schedule. I mean, Charles was a rather aggressive teetotaler  complete with episodes in which he forced others to sober up. Well, not the first time someone played opposite his offstage persona. BTW, ML was the late Lynn Landon's 3rd husband and they started their affair while both were married to other folks so I  had to laugh when she'd get so righteous on talk shows and magazines about his leaving her. I mean, with their history how she could claim to have been surprised that this would happen.

Maybe it was the sting on his girl being 20 years younger and pregnant and they had so many children together and he adopted one.  They supposedly had family portrait done day before he told her.  But as you said he had wandering eye and it wasn’t a shocker. ( maybe to kids) I feel many wives think they’ll have affairs but not leave.  He wanted to start over again.  They don’t get invited anywhere again but the guy does.  Little things that bother some but not all. 

Edited by debraran
  • Love 4

For anyone who's interested I recall several things about Matthew Laborteaux (Albert) .One was that he had been autistic but somehow had been able to overcome that challenge by the time he started in LHOTP. Second that Alison Arngrim said that ML had warned her and MG about their new castmate's earlier condition but, by the time he'd given that warning,she and MG had already 'intiated' him by throwing him in a trash can but, thankfully, that didn't seem to undo his progress. Lastly, MG has stated that from the moment he started on the series, he ALWAYS was her brother- something I can't recall her saying the equivalent for re MSA nor even her own adoptive brother Jonathan.  Regardless, it's nice to know that he seemed to have rolled with the punches but ultimately was embraced by the cast!

• Love 6

I think the fact Michael Landon was on TV for so long was a bit of a double-edged sword. I think I read that he was on TV consecutively for right at 30 years. I can't think of another actor with that sort of longevity on TV. But it also basically means people saw him every week (if not every day in syndication) and grew up with him. My grandma watched Bonanza at home and then she watched that show and Little House on the Prairie with her kids (my dad and his brother). I don't think that's unusual.

And his character was always the good guy. I mean, Little Joe could be an ass sometimes, but by the end of the episode, he always comes around, and of course Pa is intended to be a model husband and father. 

I think if he had had a film career where he played a wider range of parts, he may have still been stereotyped as the good guy, but I doubt people would have just automatically assumed he was as wholesome as the TV characters he played. So, when it comes out that he has affairs, I think it created more of a backlash than it would otherwise.

I've always gotten the impression Michael Landon was really sensitive and didn't handle criticism well, but I think his childhood also gave him a very distorted view of normal. I read that after his mother was constantly trying to commit suicide in front of him, he vowed his own kids wouldn't have to deal with that. Which is good, but I wonder if it made him think people were overreacting to his own scandals since he had such a dysfunctional example that he was trying to avoid.  

16 hours ago, debraran said:

I never thought he was a hunk either but that's a personal thing, I was more of a James Garner "Rockford" type. : )

I wasn't even alive when The Rockford Files was on, but I think James Garner is one of the most handsome men to ever be on TV. I couldn't just like your comment. I had to type out a solidarity response. 😄 (I used to deliver movies and books to the local nursing home for the library I work for. There were these two little old ladies who were some of my favorite residents who could be kind of picky about what they wanted to watch. After I figured out they both had a massive crush on James Garner, I never had problems finding stuff for them to watch. 🙂 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Zella said:

I think the fact Michael Landon was on TV for so long was a bit of a double-edged sword. I think I read that he was on TV consecutively for right at 30 years. I can't think of another actor with that sort of longevity on TV. But it also basically means people saw him every week (if not every day in syndication) and grew up with him. My grandma watched Bonanza at home and then she watched that show and Little House on the Prairie with her kids (my dad and his brother). I don't think that's unusual.

And his character was always the good guy. I mean, Little Joe could be an ass sometimes, but by the end of the episode, he always comes around, and of course Pa is intended to be a model husband and father. 

I think if he had had a film career where he played a wider range of parts, he may have still been stereotyped as the good guy, but I doubt people would have just automatically assumed he was as wholesome as the TV characters he played. So, when it comes out that he has affairs, I think it created more of a backlash than it would otherwise.

I've always gotten the impression Michael Landon was really sensitive and didn't handle criticism well, but I think his childhood also gave him a very distorted view of normal. I read that after his mother was constantly trying to commit suicide in front of him, he vowed his own kids wouldn't have to deal with that. Which is good, but I wonder if it made him think people were overreacting to his own scandals since he had such a dysfunctional example that he was trying to avoid.  

I wasn't even alive when The Rockford Files was on, but I think James Garner is one of the most handsome men to ever be on TV. I couldn't just like your comment. I had to type out a solidarity response. 😄 (I used to deliver movies and books to the local nursing home for the library I work for. There were these two little old ladies who were some of my favorite residents who could be kind of picky about what they wanted to watch. After I figured out they both had a massive crush on James Garner, I never had problems finding stuff for them to watch. 🙂 

He has a great auto biography I hope they had a chance to read.  😉 Yes when James did the Kodak commercials, I was a kid and they were my fav with Mariette Hartley (the dish lady on LHOP). I think they sold many cameras. I know Michael did Kodak commercials too but lost that gig with affair.

It's in the past now, but I think if Cindy wasn't on the show, didn't work as stand in there and later makeup girl, it would have been hard but not as hard for cast to see it. When you see the flirting, the guy you admire acting stupid and the rest, it affects the atmosphere at work more.

Michael stuck with same stereotype unlike Betty White who was on Mary Tyler Moore show, Golden Girls, Hot in Cleveland and many others, with different type of character.

• Love 3

While ML definitely had his flaws, one thing that must be kept in mind  is this: from Bonanza onward, he always played heroes (and after that series, he himself produced all of his series (plural) so it's not a case of being a starving actor helpless against producers and agents  pigeonholing him in only a single type of role). IOW, it seemed he tried to have it both ways- he wanted the audience to see him as a hero onscreen but then seemed surprised and hurt when they reacted less than kindly when his offscreen flaws became known. Still, one can't deny that he DID his best to be a de facto father to MG after her own father was taken from her via the parental split then his early death and they did make their peace before his death (and that went above and beyond any requirements as a co-star and producer of a show featuring minor performers). Jonathan Gilbert has diligently kept his own counsel re his family life and career down the decades but it would be interesting to find out if ML attempted to try to fill the void of the younger performer's absent then late father.

Edited by Blergh
bolding
  • Love 2

I will say that I appreciated how ML did give other folks a chance to shine and it wasn't always about him.

For example, The Lord is My Shepherd two-parter, it was largely about Half Pint. Yes, Pa got to swoop Laura up and cry his manly tears at the end, but there were large parts of both episodes where it was Laura. Well, her, and in keeping with LHOP trope of Laura and her penchant for creepy old men, Ernest Borgnine.

Or the Caroline almost cuts off her leg (A Matter of Faith).

The Olsen-centric episodes, i.e. "Nels, make her a widow!" 

Mary going blind, Blind Journey, and the "May We Bake Them Brown" two-parters had some Pa, but mostly it was all about Mary, Adam and the blind school.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Zella said:

Add me to the James Garner lovefest. I was young when RF was on and I always thought he was so handsome. When I watched The Notebook, I think I cried mainly because of him. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

When I think of Michael Landon I always think of him as Little Joe, especially in the comedy parts of Bonanza like The Flapjack Contest and the Leprechaun episode

I also associate Michael Landon more with Bonanza than anything else, simply because I watched way more of that than any of his other shows. Little Joe wasn't my favorite Cartwright, but any of the episodes where he and Hoss tag-team for comedic shenanigans are gold! 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Add me to the James Garner lovefest. I was young when RF was on and I always thought he was so handsome. When I watched The Notebook, I think I cried mainly because of him. 

And Murphy's Romance with Sally Field wasn't bad either. I wanted him in the Notebook though. ; ) He was very kind too. He had a fan club online and before that, on paper he kept up until he couldn't anymore. He met fans, signed pictures, etc. and was never snooty. He also worked for civil rights and gave to other charities. Not too many like him anymore.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Blergh said:

While ML definitely had his flaws, one thing that must be kept in mind  is this: from Bonanza onward, he always played heroes (and after that series, he himself produced all of his series (plural) so it's not a case of being a starving actor helpless against producers and agents  pigeonholing him in only a single type of role). IOW, it seemed he tried to have it both ways- he wanted the audience to see him as a hero onscreen but then seemed surprised and hurt when they reacted less than kindly when his offscreen flaws became known. Still, one can't deny that he DID his best to be a de facto father to MG after her own father was taken from her via the parental split then his early death and they did make their peace before his death (and that went above and beyond any requirements as a co-star and producer of a show featuring minor performers). Jonathan Gilbert has diligently kept his own counsel re his family life and career down the decades but it would be interesting to find out if ML attempted to try to fill the void of the younger performer's absent then late father.

I felt there must have been some bad family secrets or hurts for him to leave and not talk to family but I always wondered if Landon tried to keep in touch. If he wanted, I'm sure Jon would have been in Highway to Heaven with Albert, his on screen dad and others. ; ) Really none of the cast even though they played together say much. I feel it's to ward off other questions.

He did mentor Melissa but I feel as she grew it probably was less. For her to just cut him off when she wasn't perfect, IDK, it seemed odd but maybe a last straw. No matter what they tell us, you know there is more. Ego is very strong and you start to believe your own publicity. Michael wasn't naive, he saw this happen to others and whatever made him crazy, he embraced it. I didn't like reading in Life or People about how he kept going by Cindy's house and all that because it was like she was trying to justify to the press, it wasn't just her. I just kept thinking, his kids are reading this too. We all just think of ourselves at times, I've done it myself but it's unseemly when public.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, debraran said:

And Murphy's Romance with Sally Field wasn't bad either. I wanted him in the Notebook though. ; ) He was very kind too. He had a fan club online and before that, on paper he kept up until he couldn't anymore. He met fans, signed pictures, etc. and was never snooty. He also worked for civil rights and gave to other charities. Not too many like him anymore.

I was a little young for Rockford Files, so I first saw James Garner in the one season Maverick reboot from the early '80s.  I also enjoyed him in Murphy's Romance and the other movies he did around that time.  And when I found out about his personal life I was even more impressed.  Below is a picture of him during a civil rights march in the '60s.  RIP Mr. Garner - you were one of a kind.

JG.jpg

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Rose Quartz said:

I was a little young for Rockford Files, so I first saw James Garner in the one season Maverick reboot from the early '80s.  I also enjoyed him in Murphy's Romance and the other movies he did around that time.  And when I found out about his personal life I was even more impressed.  Below is a picture of him during a civil rights march in the '60s.  RIP Mr. Garner - you were one of a kind.

JG.jpg

I never enjoyed an autobiography more. He was very liberal and gave back but never forgot his roots. Very classy to coworkers too, except for some Rockford producers, only said nice things about people.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, debraran said:

I never enjoyed an autobiography more. He was very liberal and gave back but never forgot his roots. Very classy to coworkers too, except for some Rockford producers, only said nice things about people.

Thanks for the rec.  I didn't realized he'd written an autobiography so I'll have to check it out.

And now that I've derailed the thread enough....I grew up in the 70s so I was the perfect target audience for LHotP.  I watched it pretty religiously until Almanzo joined the cast but I could never get into their romance, even though I enjoyed it in the books.  I was horse crazy as a kid so my favorite episodes are still the ones featuring Bunny, although I also liked the "Taming of the Shrew" vibe when Nellie met Percival.

• Love 3

Yes, I never like Almonzo in the show either but loved anything with animals and loved Nellie with Percival (would have been funny spinoff) and when she met the pig farmers son. I still laugh at Harriet and the gun even though I know what's coming. So many dynamics with Nellie and her mom that were never too delved into. I sometimes wondered where Nel's hunting dog was most of the time. 🤔

• Love 3
12 hours ago, debraran said:

Yes, I never like Almonzo in the show either but loved anything with animals and loved Nellie with Percival (would have been funny spinoff) and when she met the pig farmers son. I still laugh at Harriet and the gun even though I know what's coming. So many dynamics with Nellie and her mom that were never too delved into. I sometimes wondered where Nel's hunting dog was most of the time. 🤔

I wasn't a fan of the Almanzo (or as Mrs. Olsen would say Zaldano) romance on the show either. I always wanted to see more Nellie and Percival. I think the only reason I kept watching the show was just to see them! 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, debraran said:

I felt there must have been some bad family secrets or hurts for him to leave and not talk to family but I always wondered if Landon tried to keep in touch. If he wanted, I'm sure Jon would have been in Highway to Heaven with Albert, his on screen dad and others. ; ) Really none of the cast even though they played together say much. I feel it's to ward off other questions.

He did mentor Melissa but I feel as she grew it probably was less. For her to just cut him off when she wasn't perfect, IDK, it seemed odd but maybe a last straw. No matter what they tell us, you know there is more. Ego is very strong and you start to believe your own publicity. Michael wasn't naive, he saw this happen to others and whatever made him crazy, he embraced it. I didn't like reading in Life or People about how he kept going by Cindy's house and all that because it was like she was trying to justify to the press, it wasn't just her. I just kept thinking, his kids are reading this too. We all just think of ourselves at times, I've done it myself but it's unseemly when public.

Mr. Jonathan Gilbert is now 53-years-old but, for whatever reasons, he has thusfar elected to keep his own counsel about his family life and child performing career. Miss Arngrim has said that he expressed to her that he had no real interest in performing at the time but it seems he was made a regular to keep Mrs. Gilbert from worrying about having to care to for him at home (and since  besides LHOTP, he only did a voiceover playing Annie Sullivan's late brother Jimmy in his sister's starring role of the TV movie adaptation of The Miracle Worker (1979), time has borne out evidence that he had little if any independent interest in said career).  Regardless of whether he or not he eventually opts to share his side of the story of the world, that should be respected.

However, I do find it a bit much that MG barely touched upon his estrangement from her family in her autobio and more or less just shrugged it off with a ' I never wanted him around anyway so who needs him' tude - with only a few negative and even fewer indifferent recollections but the only vaguely  positive recollection she had of him was that he screamed at the news of their adoptive father's death. It's sad that his co-stars (Miss Arngrim, the late Mr. Bull and possibly the late Miss MacGregor) expressed more concern for his welfare and liking  him as a person than either of his sisters have done.

4 hours ago, Blergh said:

Mr. Jonathan Gilbert is now 53-years-old but, for whatever reasons, he has thusfar elected to keep his own counsel about his family life and child performing career. Miss Arngrim has said that he expressed to her that he had no real interest in performing at the time but it seems he was made a regular to keep Mrs. Gilbert from worrying about having to care to for him at home (and since  besides LHOTP, he only did a voiceover playing Annie Sullivan's late brother Jimmy in his sister's starring role of the TV movie adaptation of The Miracle Worker (1979), time has borne out evidence that he had little if any independent interest in said career).  Regardless of whether he or not he eventually opts to share his side of the story of the world, that should be respected.

However, I do find it a bit much that MG barely touched upon his estrangement from her family in her autobio and more or less just shrugged it off with a ' I never wanted him around anyway so who needs him' tude - with only a few negative and even fewer indifferent recollections but the only vaguely  positive recollection she had of him was that he screamed at the news of their adoptive father's death. It's sad that his co-stars (Miss Arngrim, the late Mr. Bull and possibly the late Miss MacGregor) expressed more concern for his welfare and liking  him as a person than either of his sisters have done.

I agree.  I respect his privacy but worried he fell on hard times or can even be dead and no one would know. Some cast kept in touch for a while but many of them passed. Melissa Sue had a mutual friend but lost touch with him years ago. Richard Bull was very appreciative of his acting, manners and intellect.  Thought he was the brightest kid on the set . He said his mom ignored him and no one knows home life but I doubt  Melissa was that shocked . Anyone could be found in US who is working with SS but if he just wants to be invisible let him be.  (And don’t make up careers )

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3

I don’t know what all is going on with Jonathan, but I hesitate to jump to conclusions that Melissa didn’t care, etc.  There could be complicating factors that she couldn’t get very involved and that led to a relationship that wasn’t very close.  Family dynamics can be complicated and no one on the outside ever really knows what is happening.  

I feel very on the opposite side of things these days, lol—  I have always loved Dean Butler as Almanzo, and loved his interactions on the show.  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, debraran said:

I have seen thousands of pics of LHOP but never saw this one. Guy at end is Rad Daly (A Team)

eimage.thumb.png.173edac700e04ec47928d789fa6b63d9.png

I can't help but think that if Miss Arngrim didn't already have this pic in her collection, she'd want it because it has her with at least three of her favorite folks from that time (although I have no idea what she may have thought about Miss Gilbert's possible pal Mr. Daly).  It sure looks as though they're all having fun (and she and  young Mr. Gilbert are sharing a laugh while framing the late Mr. Tracy who she treasured until his tragic death a few years later which would spur her to become one of the earliest public figures to become active in AIDS education, outreach, research and cures  to the present time).

• Love 2

I read the Charlotte Stewart book--- oh my! Miss Beadle! Seriously, I really enjoyed it, it was a bit gossipy but she really seemed to like pretty much everyone. I liked some of the insight on LHOTP, especially Katherine MacGregor. Highly recommend it! 

• Love 3
On 2/3/2021 at 8:41 AM, Blergh said:

Here is one of those talk show interviews you mentioned.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I remember Lynn on a show with some other women in the ex wives club and she said it was like a death. When Michael died she said she didn't have to mourn or go because it happened already. Sad in a way but I understand what she meant. Sadly for many women as stated, whether they were the first or the mistress to the the guys first wife, they eventually go through the same thing. Not all men do this of course and some do find their true love the second time, but for many, it's younger and younger. What seems more new now is having kids at 70 or older. Men didn't do that as much years ago. Larry King, Tony Randall, 78 are 2 examples. They have the means and the desire, up to them, but just not something you heard as much many years ago when stars had affairs.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1988-03-12-li-948-story.html

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Cara said:

Tony Randall didn’t divorce his first wife, she died. But I still think it’s crazy having children in your 70’s.

That’s what I meant with that, the much older dads. Some of the older kids resented hearing their dads say how much they enjoy the babies now etc. I’m sure they had help and more time but it was more about virility. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, debraran said:

That’s what I meant with that, the much older dads. Some of the older kids resented hearing their dads say how much they enjoy the babies now etc. I’m sure they had help and more time but it was more about virility. 

Mr. Randall had had no children by his first 50 year marriage, so that wasn't the issue in this particular case. Of course, his children lost him when they were quite young (as did ML's two children by his 3rd wife) which is statistically more likely to happen re older parents than younger parents.  Charles Ingalls himself was 29 when Mary was born and 41 when Grace was born which, back then, was actually older than average for first time parents  back then but at least he was able to live to see his daughters' adulthoods. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Blergh said:

Mr. Randall had had no children by his first 50 year marriage, so that wasn't the issue in this particular case. Of course, his children lost him when they were quite young (as did ML's two children by his 3rd wife) which is statistically more likely to happen re older parents than younger parents.  Charles Ingalls himself was 29 when Mary was born and 41 when Grace was born which, back then, was actually older than average for first time parents  back then but at least he was able to live to see his daughters' adulthoods. 

I remember reading an article about him when the kids were little and he said how much he was enjoying being a father. I know its crazy to have children that old, but it was kind of sweet. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 2/5/2021 at 8:30 AM, libgirl2 said:

I always wanted to see more Nellie and Percival. I think the only reason I kept watching the show was just to see them! 

I wish they were never written off either, then we wouldnt' have had to suffer through Cousin Oliver......I mean, Nancy!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 7/25/2020 at 11:05 PM, Superclam said:

Well, I finally watched the two-part "Sylvia." I'm certain I've never seen Part 2 before. Just as dark as everyone has said. While of course the mime/clown was creepy as hell, that father was off the charts. 

You reap...what you sow, 😉

• Love 1

All I know is that i always dreamed that Charles was my father or husband, either one... (but not at the same time  lol). I wished, and still wish Charles Ingalls had been my daddy. Growing up I thought all husbands were that caring and loving, and I'd have one like that too.      

HA!   Then reality hit...

• Love 2
On 2/1/2021 at 12:06 PM, debraran said:

This was the closest to a "book" but was really 4 interviews. I really enjoyed the ones with Richard Bull and Katherine and the emphasis put on their acting and even Jon Gilbert. They both said nice things but Richard Bull to my recollection said he was very smart and a good actor and felt sorry for how he was shut out of his family (Melissa was the star) I also found it odd in all the years the show was on, not one interview with Jon, not even a short one for a TV Guide or something. He had a pretty big part and I can't see Michael not wanting him too. I always wondered why being Melissa's brother he was almost invisible to the press for so long.

I gave this book/magazine to a fan years ago during my decluttering phase of a new year but sometimes wish I could read the interviews again. Patrick was respectful but did probe a bit more than some fluffy interviews.

I think a lot of the cast didn't want to talk about things that were not as nice and good things were already known. Unless you did a lot more acting or became someone famous in another way, it probably wouldn't be enough. All 3 women who came out with books did it pretty close together, Melissa Sue, then Melissa G and then Allison. Each one was better in the sense they added more but I didn't like the picking on Melissa Sue for some drama when she was respectful of them. Kind of Jr High like but I did find Alison's funny.

http://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2014/08/prairie-memories-by-patrick-loubatiere.html

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1394745337580572&set=pb.100011353564247.-2207520000..&type=3

https://victorfrench.bigcartel.com/product/tribute

I met Melissa Sue Anderson at a meet and greet.  I bought her book and she signed it.   It was so crazy!  I grew up watching LH.  I wanted to hug her so much!   Here I am, the psycho fan...lol.  The one thing that struck me was how tiny and petite she was.  Not at all how I saw her on tv...

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, suev3333 said:

I met Melissa Sue Anderson at a meet and greet.  I bought her book and she signed it.   It was so crazy!  I grew up watching LH.  I wanted to hug her so much!   Here I am, the psycho fan...lol.  The thing that struck me was how tiny and petite she was.  And very soft spoken.  Not at all how I saw her on tv...

I watched S6 episode Silent promises last night. It was a good and funny episode:

Harriet: "If God had wanted me to talk with my hands, He wouldn't have given me a mouth."

Nels, after she's gone, breaking the fourth wall: "Even God can make a mistake." Ha, classic!

...but even that one has one aspect that annoys me. It's how incredibly fast Laura teaches sign language to that deaf boy and his father. All that takes place while Albert builds his doghouse for Bandit. It's so unrealistic! Without that Albert-related sublot, albeit a funny one, they could have said teaching took several months.

Another favorite "nitpicky" of mine is from the final episode of season 5, Odyssey. At the beginning of the episode, Dylan recaps the story of Odyssey for Laura and Albert. He says the sea god Neptune hated Odysseus and planned to sink Greek ships. Fine, except for the fact that the sea god in ancient Greece was Poseidon, not Neptune! Neptune was Poseidon's counterpart in ancient Rome. You'd think a guy who is that fascinated by the sea would know that. I call that lazy scriptwriting. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

Alof of us in the midwest are going through alot of snow

Might need to watch "Blizzard" tonight

Aka "Miss Beadle Tries to Kill the Kids." 

Blizzard1.jpg

Ugh to that poor father continuing to search for his son, not knowing he's safely back at the schoolhouse.

A rare, sweet moment with Willie comforting Miss Beadle.

Blizzard3.jpg

Uh, yes it was, at least partially. She should have known the flurries could quickly develop into something more on the unpredictable prairies. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

The Blizzard episode is the perfect example of "how far away do all these people live away from the town"

Yes they seem to run to school in a few minutes but other times it takes much longer. That sad scene with the dad made me love my cell phone. They wasted so much time looking for kids and never could say they found someone or warn them. I remember how frightened my daughter was the one time I couldn't pick her up on time at school because of an accident and no phone. So many scary moments when my mom waited for my dad in bad weather or he went to get my sibling and another parent brought her home.

They might be bad in someways but I'd much rather have them than not.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, debraran said:

Yes they seem to run to school in a few minutes but other times it takes much longer. That sad scene with the dad made me love my cell phone. They wasted so much time looking for kids and never could say they found someone or warn them. I remember how frightened my daughter was the one time I couldn't pick her up on time at school because of an accident and no phone. So many scary moments when my mom waited for my dad in bad weather or he went to get my sibling and another parent brought her home.

Another possible error I thought of is Miss Beadle was gonna let the kids go home early from school. I figure they usually get out at 3 or 330 back then? So they got out maybe 200-230, and then it got dark while they were walking home which usually sets around 430-500 on Christmas Eve so they had been walking for almost 2 hours?!?!?!?

• Love 2

I just saw Circus Man with Red Buttons.  They must have filmed one scene with Laura talking to him at the end separately instead of 2 cameras. Her braids are in the front when she talks and in the back when he does. 😉. It’s the last part when Jack is ok and he tells her it’s not magic. Sometimes when you’ve seen it a lot you can catch things. 

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

The Blizzard episode is the perfect example of "how far away do all these people live away from the town"

I happened to have watched "Harvest of Friends" today. At one point, Hanson's blows the whistle, and they hear it back at the Ingall's place and get ready for Pa's return. So they're near enough to the town to hear a whistle, but not near enough to make it home in a blizzard. 🤷‍♂️

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I happened to have watched "Harvest of Friends" today. At one point, Hanson's blows the whistle, and they hear it back at the Ingall's place and get ready for Pa's return. So they're near enough to the town to hear a whistle, but not near enough to make it home in a blizzard. 🤷‍♂️

yea I know the blizzard was bad and somehow they got off track to going home. They know what direction to go, just go that exact way

Charles walked to work somedays so it couldnt have been that far

• Love 2
6 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

yea I know the blizzard was bad and somehow they got off track to going home. They know what direction to go, just go that exact way

Charles walked to work somedays so it couldnt have been that far

I don't know how fast it came on but I was blinded by snow and had to pull over on the way home from work in a snow squall. It can be blinding and brutally cold. I can see getting off course a bit but wasn't there any farms on the way? It seemed instead of a road they crossed meadows and large areas of land while when Ma went to town, it was on the road usually. It was more drama to see the shacks about to fall down and how they couldn't see. Living through horrible winters though, you'd think they'd know to stay on the main roads but "short cuts" are appealing.  I always thought compared to our coats, they had pretty flimsy gloves and hats and I imagine winters were awful with just fireplace for heat and limited insulation.

The sad part without telephones, land lines, they couldn't call the Ingall's farm to say we got your kids here so even if they found a safe place, parents would keep looking. Not a good time really for communication or anxiety.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Aka "Miss Beadle Tries to Kill the Kids." 

Blizzard1.jpg

Ugh to that poor father continuing to search for his son, not knowing he's safely back at the schoolhouse.

A rare, sweet moment with Willie comforting Miss Beadle.

Blizzard3.jpg

Uh, yes it was, at least partially. She should have known the flurries could quickly develop into something more on the unpredictable prairies. 

With Charles around always expect the unexpected. Any disaster can happen so he can make himself a hero

• Love 3
14 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

When the moms all show up at the schoolhouse, a couple of them immediately say that their kids couldn't have gotten home yet, even though Miss Beadle hadn't said how long ago they left, so who knows??

I'm reading the books now, and I'm just finishing The Long Winter. The book talks about Pa having trouble getting across the street in the blizzard, and in a previous book, I think On the Banks of Plum Creek, Pa gets stuck in a blizzard for 3 days right near their house. So I can understand the kids getting lost no matter how far they were going. 

This still doesn't answer the question of how far the farm is from town, since it does seem to change like everyone has pointed out. Does anyone know of a map of the TV town and the surrounding areas? I know the location of the buildings in town is fairly consistent. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, debraran said:

I was thinking about that the other day. I still remember the blizzard of 78 and my mom standing at the window in tears waiting for me dad to come home. He made it home. He had to abandon his car at the entrance to our subdivision. Several people in our neighborhood had snowmobiles (we had several open fields around us) and were picking people up and bringing them home. 

• Love 2