Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

Can someone please explain the behind-the-scenes reasoning about the move to Winoka? I remember reading something about it, but it was before I'd seen the episodes, so it didn't stick. 

The Winoka episodes were weird, but they didn't bother me anywhere near as much as the return to Walnut Grove that just hand-waved away all the serious reasons why they left. 

Was the show planning a permanent move to Winoka before audience backlash caused it to be cancelled or was it always envisioned as a temporary stay? 

• Love 2
Just now, BigBingerBro said:

I want to say there was some sort of issue with being able to film in Simi Valley.  If I have time tomorrow I will check my books are see if I can find the behind the scenes reason for them filming at the studio aka Winoka.

Thank you--that makes sense! 

14 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

There's a few episodes where Laura would sneak out at night and that always surprised me.

Not safe at all but also the fact she never got caught

Or that after scaring her parents to death with running away and having Pa and Edwards look for her for days, she was going to do it AGAIN with the friend with leukemia! Just hop a train to the ocean and hope we get back without going to detention hall. Sentiment aside, that was a dumb thing to do and Charles ended up helping for Highway to Heaven type of ending but if she did just leave, you know, she'd be okay. Mary would get grounded for a year. ; )

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Zella said:

Can someone please explain the behind-the-scenes reasoning about the move to Winoka? I remember reading something about it, but it was before I'd seen the episodes, so it didn't stick. 

The Winoka episodes were weird, but they didn't bother me anywhere near as much as the return to Walnut Grove that just hand-waved away all the serious reasons why they left. 

Was the show planning a permanent move to Winoka before audience backlash caused it to be cancelled or was it always envisioned as a temporary stay? 

i've looked in the past. can never find anything

• Love 1

Speaking of sets, this site has a cool video showing the ranch now versus with the set buildings.  
https://dustyoldthing.com/little-house-on-the-prairie-set-then-and-now/

One more link...some facts about the show, and a cute video at the end of Melissa singing and dancing.  I guess she was preparing early for dancing with the stars...lol

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/70752/17-pioneering-facts-about-little-house-prairie

Edited by alexa
  • Love 5

I just saw the episode about Graham and his father. I'm not sure I'd ever seen it in its entirety. Otherwise, I think I would have remembered Mr. Stewart hallucinating a bat... negatively.

I thought I remembered Charles confronting Mr. Stewart and beating him up in a "pick on someone your own size" manner. Did he do that to somebody else in a similar situation in another episode or was that my hallucination?

Edited by die Frau
To clarify something
Just now, jason88cubs said:

Random question: Did we ever see Doc Baker's house? or did he live in his office? I dont recall seeing his office being attached to his possible house

I think he slept upstairs but used downstairs as office and room to see patients. Maybe when he was making the ring for Harriet's niece he was in bedroom, he was getting something out of a box, his dad's chain I think.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, debraran said:

I think he slept upstairs but used downstairs as office and room to see patients. Maybe when he was making the ring for Harriet's niece he was in bedroom, he was getting something out of a box, his dad's chain I think.

did his office have an upstairs though? i know the post office did

4 hours ago, die Frau said:

I just saw the episode about Graham and his father. I'm not sure I'd ever seen it in its entirety. Otherwise, I think I would have remembered Mr. Stewart hallucinating a bat... negatively.

I thought I remembered Charles confronting Mr. Stewart and beating him up in a "pick on someone your own size" manner. Did he do that to somebody else in a similar situation in another episode or was that my hallucination?

well in Bully Boys he attacked them, for them grabbing his wife. Charles got ina  few fights so I could see that happening

• Love 1
17 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Whoa Dean actually looks like a 19th century farmer now!

I like how Pam (Mrs Carter) gushed over Dean, lol. I'm like Woah! Good thing on Zoom. lol  I liked that Melissa brought up her brother, always left out in stories out of maybe a kindness to not have to answer questions. Alison stayed quiet but at least she made him "real" and funny, and no untrue stories about what he is doing. I sometimes wonder as he slowly broke off with people (Nel's a friend of a Melissa Sue)if they would know if he was alive.  That's sad. I noticed because the commentator didn't followup he knew not too.

Enjoyed the honesty and the story of the pond/wheelchair episode which brought out how really gross it was! 🤑

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, debraran said:

I like how Pam (Mrs Carter) gushed over Dean, lol. I'm like Woah! Good thing on Zoom. lol  I liked that Melissa brought up her brother, always left out in stories out of maybe a kindness to not have to answer questions. Alison stayed quiet but at least she made him "real" and funny, and no untrue stories about what he is doing. I sometimes wonder as he slowly broke off with people (Nel's a friend of a Melissa Sue)if they would know if he was alive.  That's sad. I noticed because the commentator didn't followup he knew not too.

Enjoyed the honesty and the story of the pond/wheelchair episode which brought out how really gross it was! 🤑

Is there a story behind this?  I haven't heard much about him but wondering if there is a reason they are quiet about him?

I enjoyed the video as well...I had to look up to see who a couple people were, but it was nice to hear all they had to say.  And I love Dean Butler...he has always seemed so nice, and he continues to look young for his age.  I love that he took on a passion for LIW projects in real life.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, alexa said:

Is there a story behind this?  I haven't heard much about him but wondering if there is a reason they are quiet about him?

I enjoyed the video as well...I had to look up to see who a couple people were, but it was nice to hear all they had to say.  And I love Dean Butler...he has always seemed so nice, and he continues to look young for his age.  I love that he took on a passion for LIW projects in real life.

All I heard was he took his money and left after show. Melissa reported him missing back then but don’t know what came of it. I heard through Richard Bull interview he was ignored somewhat by mom but idk if that was part of it. Something was pretty bad to cut like that I would think.  Some cast had him keep in touch with letters or cards but not many. I can understand being under the radar but the stories and pics of him are never correct. If they were someone would find him. I just hope he’s well. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, debraran said:

All I heard was he took his money and left after show. Melissa reported him missing back then but don’t know what came of it. I heard through Richard Bull interview he was ignored somewhat by mom but idk if that was part of it. Something was pretty bad to cut like that I would think.  Some cast had him keep in touch with letters or cards but not many. I can understand being under the radar but the stories and pics of him are never correct. If they were someone would find him. I just hope he’s well. 

It sounds like he just left the spotlight and became a rich stockbroker, 🙂  According to this google entry.  Interesting though, but maybe this story isn't correct either?  

https://biographypedia.org/where-is-jonathan-gilbert-today-wiki-bio-net-worth-married/

55 minutes ago, alexa said:

It sounds like he just left the spotlight and became a rich stockbroker, 🙂  According to this google entry.  Interesting though, but maybe this story isn't correct either?  

https://biographypedia.org/where-is-jonathan-gilbert-today-wiki-bio-net-worth-married/

No sadly all these have been debunked but I wonder how the “real” people feel seeing their pics. He might want to be unknown but most business people can be traced. They would make up things at fan gatherings, he’s a monk, he’s doing theatre, he’s in nyc.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, debraran said:
2 hours ago, alexa said:

No sadly all these have been debunked but I wonder how the “real” people feel seeing their pics. He might want to be unknown but most business people can be traced. They would make up things at fan gatherings, he’s a monk, he’s doing theatre, he’s in nyc.  

That is sad.  I had no idea!  

• Love 1
18 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

Random question: Did we ever see Doc Baker's house? or did he live in his office? I dont recall seeing his office being attached to his possible house

Now that I think of it, in the later season episode with Dr. LeDoux (sp?) he is seen peering out of an upstairs window, presumably his apartment. Was there an apartment building with rooms in the town? Did he share a bathroom with Miss Beadle?  

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Now that I think of it, in the later season episode with Dr. LeDoux (sp?) he is seen peering out of an upstairs window, presumably his apartment. Was there an apartment building with rooms in the town? Did he share a bathroom with Miss Beadle?  

I think miss Beadle had her own place

• Love 1

Based on the size of the building, I wonder if he has his doctor office rooms on the ground floor as does the post office and then the living quarters for both and possibly any other boarders are above (but not together). Last night, I watched "Blind Man's Bluff" and he seems to have multiple rooms for the offices. 

• Love 1
Just now, Zella said:

Based on the size of the building, I wonder if he has his doctor office rooms on the ground floor as does the post office and then the living quarters for both and possibly any other boarders are above (but not together). Last night, I watched "Blind Man's Bluff" and he seems to have multiple rooms for the offices. 

that would make sense.

I dont recall any epsiodes where they went on Doc Bakers house

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

I think miss Beadle had her own place

I think we saw it once or twice. My question is, where was it? Was it a rental? Who owned it? If she did, how did she afford a nice place in town when the Ingalls lived in a kid's clubhouse? 

In the episode where they come back from Winoka, Hanson is in some room upstairs. Was that above the Dr's office? Was it like an infirmary? Did Doc Baker live there too? 

These are all questions I have. The only people that we definitely know where they lived are the Olesons. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I think we saw it once or twice. My question is, where was it? Was it a rental? Who owned it? If she did, how did she afford a nice place in town when the Ingalls lived in a kid's clubhouse? 

In the episode where they come back from Winoka, Hanson is in some room upstairs. Was that above the Dr's office? Was it like an infirmary? Did Doc Baker live there too? 

These are all questions I have. The only people that we definitely know where they lived are the Olesons. 

No idea if she rented or owned it and I have no idea where it was. i assume it was by the school. I know Charles walked over there in that episode where she was replaced by that male teacher. She also had a steady income at the school unlike the Ingalls. Not sure how long summer breaks were then?

I assume it was above the post office? Maybe Doc Baker was in room next door?

Edited by jason88cubs
  • Love 1

From what I've read, school terms could be all over the place. The real Laura seemed to teach quite a few two or three-month terms during her career as a teacher, though that was in a far more rural South Dakota. In the books, she teaches a summer term that I think starts in late April. But from what I've read in general in farm communities, school was often held from around November to April, during the months when the kids weren't needed on farms. The rest of the year, school teachers were left to their own devices to either live on the income from their teaching or find other work in the mean time.

Miss Beadle never seems to have any other jobs, and their school year seems very regular, so maybe she got paid enough to not need it. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

Miss Beadle never seems to have any other jobs, and their school year seems very regular, so maybe she got paid enough to not need it. 

OTOH, I don't think we only saw the school days of the show.  It never seemed to be summer.  There were times when the boys (minus Willie) were out of school, but the girls were always there.  I don't know how a community who can't afford school books could afford to pay the teacher enough to live on for the whole year whilst only working half of it.  Maybe she had an inheritance and was better about keeping it quiet than Charles was.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

OTOH, I don't think we only saw the school days of the show.  It never seemed to be summer.  There were times when the boys (minus Willie) were out of school, but the girls were always there.  I don't know how a community who can't afford school books could afford to pay the teacher enough to live on for the whole year whilst only working half of it.  Maybe she had an inheritance and was better about keeping it quiet than Charles was.

That's true! Walnut Grove is a bizarre little town. I was just thinking the other day that Deadwood got a newspaper quicker in their history than Walnut Grove. 😂

I want to think that Miss Beadle had a small house not so close to the school.  She did on occasion be driving a buggy, so she didn't walk to school.  Also, when she was out with the broken leg and Caroline came to visit her, it was a nice parlor that did not appear to be an upper room of anywhere.   Maybe it was a house a bit farther out from where Mrs Whipple lived?

• Love 4

Watched "The Award" last night. MA came off really bad in that episode lol

When she made that snide remark when she commented Nels only paid Mary 50 cents for three works of work and he said "you mean 50 cents a week", the look on her face lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

Did they have anything where they could put a blanket up to seperate the beds downstairs or was it just wide open?

I know the books reference hanging things like that in some of their houses.

On 1/19/2021 at 2:52 PM, BigBingerBro said:

I want to think that Miss Beadle had a small house not so close to the school.  She did on occasion be driving a buggy, so she didn't walk to school.  Also, when she was out with the broken leg and Caroline came to visit her, it was a nice parlor that did not appear to be an upper room of anywhere.   Maybe it was a house a bit farther out from where Mrs Whipple lived?

What's even odder is that Miss Beadle, Doc Baker and the Olesons ALL seemed to have ready access to horses, carriages, buggies,wagons,etc. at a moment's notice- yet not only did NONE of their homes/offices have any structures anywhere near that could have resembled barns, but there never was any attempted dialogue to refer to any possible Walnut Grove Livery Stable (and only in Winoka was one in existence).  And yet all these townsfolks had  easy access to horse transportation and  a wide variety of equipment but, if any of them   DID set up their own horsedrawn transport themselves, their clothes and shoes somehow remained completely pristine! 

(Can anyone imagine Mrs. Oleson putting together a horse team,harnesses, reins and a wagon as easily as a 20th century character could have started up a car?) 

• Love 5
On 1/17/2021 at 6:45 AM, debraran said:

Or that after scaring her parents to death with running away and having Pa and Edwards look for her for days, she was going to do it AGAIN with the friend with leukemia! Just hop a train to the ocean and hope we get back without going to detention hall. Sentiment aside, that was a dumb thing to do and Charles ended up helping for Highway to Heaven type of ending but if she did just leave, you know, she'd be okay. Mary would get grounded for a year. ; )

Something else that didn't ring true re that episode (besides William Randolph Hearst appearing at least a generation older than Laura despite being only four years her senior IRL), why was it that none of the four train-hoppers who'd gone all the way from Minnesota thought to take off their shoes when they finally  got to the Pacific Coast ocean?! Even if they hadn't been the least bit curious about feeling the ocean waves or beach sand on their feet, wouldn't they have done so to, at the very least, keep their leather shoes from being ruined by the salt water? It's not as though shoes grew on trees for pioneer folks! 

Oh, and did anyone think of how the dying teen's widowed mother must have felt knowing her only child was  sick and dying out there and having no true idea of his whereabouts beside him trying to make his Pacific Coast pipedream come true?   I don't recall Charles or anyone else sending her word of the teen being OK. Even if he somehow made it back home alive (which never was clear whether he did), did they think the 'he got to see the ocean' instead of spending what time he had left with her have brought her any comfort? Would Charles have liked it had Baby Frederick had been spirited away on a jaunt instead of with him or Caroline during his last days? 

I HATED this episode's priorities! 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Blergh said:

Something else that didn't ring true re that episode (besides William Randolph Hearst appearing at least a generation older than Laura despite being only four years her senior IRL), why was it that none of the four train-hoppers who'd gone all the way from Minnesota thought to take off their shoes when they finally  got to the Pacific Coast ocean?! Even if they hadn't been the least bit curious about feeling the ocean waves or beach sand on their feet, wouldn't they have done so to, at the very least, keep their leather shoes from being ruined by the salt water? It's not as though shoes grew on trees for pioneer folks! 

Oh, and did anyone think of how the dying teen's widowed mother must have felt knowing her only child was  sick and dying out there and having no true idea of his whereabouts beside him trying to make his Pacific Coast pipedream come true?   I don't recall Charles or anyone else sending her word of the teen being OK. Even if he somehow made it back home alive (which never was clear whether he did), did they think the 'he got to see the ocean' instead of spending what time he had left with her have brought her any comfort? Would Charles have liked it had Baby Frederick had been spirited away on a jaunt instead of with him or Caroline during his last days? 

I HATED this episode's priorities! 

I  forgot she didn't know, what a horrible thing! I can't imagine my anxiety and thoughts and if he died on the way? So many holes. The fact Laura was going to leave a note and take off to places without money (off course breaking the law is ok if you are an Ingall's) and do that again made me forget he did too.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, debraran said:

I  forgot she didn't know, what a horrible thing! I can't imagine my anxiety and thoughts and if he died on the way? So many holes. The fact Laura was going to leave a note and take off to places without money (off course breaking the law is ok if you are an Ingall's) and do that again made me forget he did too.

Yep! And when Charles caught up to them and got guilted to join them as stowaways,  it was  X number of days until that train reached the Pacific coast, and they didn't seem to send any kind of word re the boy's safety to his distraught mother  that entire time but just kept trying to stay hidden on the freight car until they got caught. MAYBE they thought to ask Mr. Hearst to send her a telegram after they got there (since those were VERY expensive back then- and most folks only would usually send them to announce births, marriages or deaths) but we're given no clue- and, for all we know they didn't say a peep to update her on his whereabouts until his possible return home (IF he made it home). 

• Love 2

I just watched "Back to School, Parts 1 and 2," and by the end, I kind of wanted to set the whole Ingalls family on fire. Okay, maybe just Pa and Laura but still. 

I know the audience is supposed to think Nellie is just a complete bitch (and she totally is), but I thought Laura was a real bitch herself to sabotage that dish and then expect Nellie to just do her a favor for existing. And for her to keep expecting Nellie not to stab her in the back and to be surprised every single time it happens? 🙄

giphy.gif

• Love 4

Well, Nellie did telegraph to Laura at one point, saying, "Laura, you are naive." Of course, it was meant that Laura was being naive about Miss Wilder not wanting Laura to pass the exam and take her job (which, totally untrue) but I kind of love that Nellie laid it out there so beautifully and dumb ol' Half-Pint fell for it..

Just like she fell for Nellie promising to be good to Bunny or when she fell for Nellie forgiving her for the music box theft and also believed Nellie would want Anna in the secret club for anything other than to make fun of her stammer. 

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Well, Nellie did telegraph to Laura at one point, saying, "Laura, you are naive." Of course, it was meant that Laura was being naive about Miss Wilder not wanting Laura to pass the exam and take her job (which, totally untrue) but I kind of love that Nellie laid it out there so beautifully and dumb ol' Half-Pint fell for it..

Just like she fell for Nellie promising to be good to Bunny or when she fell for Nellie forgiving her for the music box theft and also believed Nellie would want Anna in the secret club for anything other than to make fun of her stammer. 

I loved how Mary tried to warn her in The Talking Machine and Laura was all, "no, Nellie's nice now."  If I were Mary, I would have found something really heavy to hit her over the head with and knock some common sense into her.  Although, that is one of my favorite episodes for some reason.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Yes Nellie did make the comment about Laura being naive, and she totally had that smirk on her face she always has when she's baiting Laura, and because Laura is dumb as a bag of hammers, she fell for it hook, line, and sinker. This has been going on for six seasons, and I feel like if she's still that clueless, she has earned all the shit Nellie dumps on her.

This is actually something that really baffles me in general about the town dynamics, the way people continue to include Harriet and Nellie in things and then are shocked that they're awful. I know socially that there are slim pickings around there, but I feel like the whole town enables their bad behavior because they keep crawling back for more. 

• Love 3
Just now, Katy M said:

I loved how Mary tried to warn her in The Talking Machine and Laura was all, "no, Nellie's nice now."  If I were Mary, I would have found something really heavy to hit her over the head with and knock some common sense into her.  Although, that is one of my favorite episodes for some reason.

Oh, yes, another time she fell for Nellie. I'm sure there are more. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Zella said:

I know the audience is supposed to think Nellie is just a complete bitch (and she totally is), but I thought Laura was a real bitch herself to sabotage that dish and then expect Nellie to just do her a favor for existing. And for her to keep expecting Nellie not to stab her in the back and to be surprised every single time it happens? 🙄

Yes! And this time Laura completely started it, by volunteering to cook dinner for Almanzo as "a favor for a friend." Nellie didn't even ask her to do it. So Laura pulls this mean backstabby trick on Nellie, but then Nellie is SO MEAN when she does the same to Laura immediately afterward.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, jird said:

Yes! And this time Laura completely started it, by volunteering to cook dinner for Almanzo as "a favor for a friend." Nellie didn't even ask her to do it. So Laura pulls this mean backstabby trick on Nellie, but then Nellie is SO MEAN when she does the same to Laura immediately afterward.

Yes! It was a pretty gross thing to do to anyone, and it really pisses me off that Laura always gets a pass since she's an Ingalls. 

If Laura had just left well enough alone, Nellie would probably have screwed that dinner up on her own. LOL 

• Love 2