Type keyword(s) to search

Last Man Standing - General Discussion

• Start Topic

My PVR always cuts off early, did we even get to see Kristen and the baby? And yes, it's ridiculous that everyone was at the hospital except for Boyd. I mean, it's only his mom in labour. I guess he was at home playing video games of something. 

2 hours ago, jewel21 said:

My PVR always cuts off early, did we even get to see Kristen and the baby? And yes, it's ridiculous that everyone was at the hospital except for Boyd. I mean, it's only his mom in labour. I guess he was at home playing video games of something. 

Nope. The last scene was Mike's "emergency" vlog (recorded in advance so no mention of her having the baby or even what the name is).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, iHateAmpersands said:

Nope. The last scene was Mike's "emergency" vlog (recorded in advance so no mention of her having the baby or even what the name is).

They never finished the episode due to COVID-19. So this is it. Find out about the baby next season. 

• Love 1

I did like that Eve was in this episode-so they had Jen only at Outdoorman with over the top whining about someone eating her lunch.  

So, there was angst over Ryan and Kyle staying for the Breakfast Fest thing, but not a mention of Jen.  I wish they would just write her off of the series (if it has another season).

Overall, I enjoyed the season and hope it does come back.  I usually laugh a couple of times during the episodes which is more than I can say about other sitcoms.

On 5/1/2020 at 8:17 PM, seacliffsal said:

I did like that Eve was in this episode-so they had Jen only at Outdoorman with over the top whining about someone eating her lunch.  

So, there was angst over Ryan and Kyle staying for the Breakfast Fest thing, but not a mention of Jen.  I wish they would just write her off of the series (if it has another season).

Sadly not, she is apparently going to still be on since LMS is still planned on returning, but no idea if it will be their last season or not. Ratings have fallen back to below what they were back on ABC. Of course the time change and still acting like night wrestling is still a thing didn't help them. Biggest weakness is still Jen, but they JUST LOVE HER for some reason. 

2 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Renewed http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2020/05/19/fox-entertainment-renews-family-comedy-last-man-standing-and-medical-drama-the-resident-for-the-2020-2021-season-283305/20200519fox01/

Honestly, I'm not sure it should go much longer given they replaced the grandson with an exchange student and all the kids' lives are changing enough that the parents should be experiencing empty nest syndrome

This season also proved how much they writers don't have investments in their own characters either. Amanda Fuller after years of issues, finally get's pregnant in real life. They then not only write it in, but ignore Boyd the rest of the season. Including Kristin and Ryan acting like he doesn't have a name. Plus, the ratings were down and that was a combination of the show being on too long on Thursday nights when it has direct competitions with other networks, including ABC. 

Time to put this show down. 8 Years is a long enough run. 

21 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I think the ratings would rebound a bit if they got rid of Jen...

Doubt that is going to happen. The writers and producers go on and on how much they just LOVE her while everyone else goes: "Stop, she is horrible!" 

On 4/11/2020 at 3:55 PM, realdancemom said:

It was stupid.  I'm going to agree that the writing is not as good as it used to be.  No amount of acting would have made this plot work.  I did like this week's episode better.  It was fun to see how everybody was setting up Ryan at the end.

I think they we trying to make the Yanny /Laurel thing a metaphor about what was going on with politics at the time - we hear the same message and we interpret differently, and then we fight over it instead of focusing on what we have in common vs. what we disagree on - and what we have in common is our relationships and love. I think it was well intentioned. But it was either/but badly acted or not well flushed out.

• Love 1
On 6/7/2020 at 6:46 PM, Stats Queen said:

I think they we trying to make the Yanny /Laurel thing a metaphor about what was going on with politics at the time - we hear the same message and we interpret differently, and then we fight over it instead of focusing on what we have in common vs. what we disagree on - and what we have in common is our relationships and love. I think it was well intentioned. But it was either/but badly acted or not well flushed out.

The problem with LMS is that at times, the story might be thought provoking or a "good" message is there. However, when it is also played for laughs of: "Ryan and Mike are just being trees in the middle of the road" it comes off as bad. Goes back to what I was saying about Ed back in the "Sunday Brunch" episode with the restaurant. How he said he "hates fat people" and is also very stuck that "fat people always come to a brunch." He not only stereo types but also that Mike and Kirstin don't point out: "But it's more money in your pocket and we are reaching out to a larger customer base". You know, something all businesses from Fortune 500 to ma and pa stores try to do. Plus, the entire: "Bear in store we can't let Ed find out." Which he did and played it to make Mike and Kyle look like buffoons, even putting their lives in danger to make them squirm. That comes down to cruelty, and it's NOT FUNNY!

4 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Looks like they are pulling the trigger and ending it with the end of season 9......https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/last-man-standing-final-season-9-fox-1234804531/

I’ve mostly enjoyed it but it’s for the best. The lack of the grandson and one daughter and the addition of the exchange student show enough aging that it’s time to go. 9 seasons is a good run

• Love 3
On 10/14/2020 at 7:15 PM, DanaK said:

I’ve mostly enjoyed it but it’s for the best. The lack of the grandson and one daughter and the addition of the exchange student show enough aging that it’s time to go. 9 seasons is a good run

No kidding and they were basically trying to re invent the show with the exchange student and then focusing SO MUCH on Kristin and Ryan's second child it was: "Boyd who?" 

• Useful 1

Season 9 premieres January 3rd at 9:30 PM with the second episode airing at its regular time (Thursday January 7th at 9:30 PM).

Time Flies
SEASON 9, EPISODE 1

A series of time jumps finds Mike and Vanessa with two new grandchildren as well as Mandy and Kyle living with them; Vanessa and Mandy clash over Vanessa's "helpfulness"; Chuck desperately hopes it's last call on Ed's mixology happy hour.

Dual Time
SEASON 9, EPISODE 2

Vanessa hires a home improvement repairman who bears an uncanny resemblance to Mike; Kyle and Ryan defend their favorite comic book writer to Mandy and Kristen; Mike struggles with an idea for his video blog.

ETA: They showed a preview tonight that included a little blonde girl running to Mike yelling "Grandpa!" so it looks like they're jumping ahead about five years.

Edited by iHateAmpersands
  • Love 1
On 12/26/2020 at 10:15 PM, iHateAmpersands said:

Season 9 premieres January 3rd at 9:30 PM with the second episode airing at its regular time (Thursday January 7th at 9:30 PM).

ETA: They showed a preview tonight that included a little blonde girl running to Mike yelling "Grandpa!" so it looks like they're jumping ahead about five years.

I believe an article said they were jumping ahead 3 years. That’s a little too much jumping for me

• Love 1
12 hours ago, DanaK said:

I believe an article said they were jumping ahead 3 years. That’s a little too much jumping for me

It is three years.

Last Man Standing's Final Season Will Show How the Pandemic Negatively (and Positively?) Impacted the Baxters

Last Man Standing‘s future-set final season takes place in a world where the coronavirus has largely been eradicated — but there will still be ripple effects felt throughout the remaining episodes of the Tim Allen comedy.

When the Fox sitcom picks up in the year 2023, viewers will see how the global pandemic took its toll on the economy and how that’s impacted the Baxter family’s livelihoods.

There's also this one about Mandy and Kyle's daughter:

Last Man Standing's Final Season: Meet Mandy's Daughter! Plus, New Intel on 3-Year Time Jump — 2021 FIRST LOOK

The one thing that stands out to me in both articles is that neither Boyd nor his sister are mentioned.

On 1/1/2021 at 9:42 PM, iHateAmpersands said:

It is three years.

Last Man Standing's Final Season Will Show How the Pandemic Negatively (and Positively?) Impacted the Baxters

There's also this one about Mandy and Kyle's daughter:

Last Man Standing's Final Season: Meet Mandy's Daughter! Plus, New Intel on 3-Year Time Jump — 2021 FIRST LOOK

The one thing that stands out to me in both articles is that neither Boyd nor his sister are mentioned.

I agree, they went to all this trouble, then go ahead three years. Which, I can understand this officially marked on everyone as "the final season". However, they did all that crap, pushed Boyd on everyone for years and all of a sudden its: "Oh Kyle and Mandy had a baby girl, they are more important." At that point if I was Amanda Fuller I be: "Ok, fuck you too, not like people don't hire me on streaming services, I'm out." 

Not bad, though I don’t really like time jumps of several years (and they seemed to make the Covid thing last a little too long). At least the exchange student seems to be gone. Probably for the best that this is the last season though

Was that the same actor who played Ryan before? He seemed to look a little different

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, DanaK said:

Not bad, though I don’t really like time jumps of several years (and they seemed to make the Covid thing last a little too long). At least the exchange student seems to be gone. Probably for the best that this is the last season though.

Was that the same actor who played Ryan before? He seemed to look a little different.

She's not gone for long; I read she doesn't show up until the fourth episode.

And that is the same actor; he just has his hair straightened.

1 hour ago, iHateAmpersands said:

She's not gone for long; I read she doesn't show up until the fourth episode.

And that is the same actor; he just has his hair straightened.

I think it had something to do with filming as she didn't want to risk exposure to various people, but don't quote me on that. Sadly, it give a great way since they jumped over 3 years to 2024. To get rid of her for good. 

• Love 1

I find Ryan's hair very distracting. 

Another distraction was Mandy, Kyle, Ryan, and Kristin watching TV and hanging out and we saw no children. Where were they? Are we supposed to pretend they don't exist?

So Tim 'The Tool Man' Taylor and Mike Baxter finally meet, heh. I enjoyed Tim mentioning Wilson and how much he misses him. That was a nice nod to the actor. No mention of Al, though?

• Love 3

I got into this show via reruns during the quarantine. I really liked the earlier and mid seasons. When the show came back on Fox it wasn’t as good. It’s too bad there was that lapse and the two good actresses had moved on. I thought new Mandy wasn’t too bad but hated the exchange student. 
This last season seems like it will be the worst. I liked the less obvious nods to Home Improvement. I did not care for Tim actually meeting Mike.

• Love 1

I actually thought this season premier was pretty awful.  Ryan's hair, hmm.  My initial reaction was, "oh, I might like that."  But the longer I looked at it, the worse it got, and actually started looking like a bad wig. 

The Tool Time reference?  Hated it.  

I was hoping that the final season might actually get better, but if the premier is any indication, I won't be trying too hard to view it. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Another distraction was Mandy, Kyle, Ryan, and Kristin watching TV and hanging out and we saw no children. Where were they? Are we supposed to pretend they don't exist?

So Tim 'The Tool Man' Taylor and Mike Baxter finally meet, heh. I enjoyed Tim mentioning Wilson and how much he misses him. That was a nice nod to the actor. No mention of Al, though?

I thought it was odd to have no children around either.  At least, in the premiere, we saw Mandy and Kyle's daughter and the two girls were mentioned in the show.  But there's no mention of Boyd in both episodes.

I like the nod to Wilson too.

• Love 3

The tone of the show seemed a little heavy and solemn in both episodes. 

I miss old Mandy. She and Eve were my two favorite characters. I also miss how cute old Mandy dressed. I loved tuning in to see what outfits she would wear. I guess the whole storyline of her designing clothes has been forgotten. It's not a bad show. I've seen worse. It's just a shadow of what it used to be. I feel like I'm still watching out of inertia now more than feeling like I want to watch it.

• Love 4
On 1/9/2021 at 8:54 PM, Aryanna said:

The tone of the show seemed a little heavy and solemn in both episodes. 

I miss old Mandy. She and Eve were my two favorite characters. I also miss how cute old Mandy dressed. I loved tuning in to see what outfits she would wear. I guess the whole storyline of her designing clothes has been forgotten. It's not a bad show. I've seen worse. It's just a shadow of what it used to be. I feel like I'm still watching out of inertia now more than feeling like I want to watch it.

I miss old Mandy too...she was my favorite Baxter.  Our tv station didn't carry the first episode, which annoyed me so much.  Almost didn't recognize Ryan without the face hair.  

Nancy Travis' Vanessa Baxter, looks like she's aged 10 years at least, and has overprocessed her hair/wig into pergatory.  

Also, I'll say it...Amanda Fuller's Kristen Baxter looks awful.  I realize she's had a couple kids, and weight gain happens, but I'm not really talking about that exclusively.  Just looks disheveled or something.

• Love 3
On 1/14/2021 at 8:08 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Nancy Travis' Vanessa Baxter, looks like she's aged 10 years at least, and has overprocessed her hair/wig into pergatory.  

She did look like she really aged to me too. But so did Tim Allen, even his voice sounded different to me, and I know he's almost 70 but his voice was just so flat like it had no tone.

I didn't see the point of Tim Taylor. Don't get me wrong Tool Time is one of my favorite tv comedy shows but I think Tim Allen has been away from that character so long he forgot how to play him because that was not Tim Taylor that was Mike Baxter with gray hair. Is their talk about rebooting Tool Time?

So they did a 3 year time jump but Eve is still in the Air Force, how many years was she in before the jump because it's a 4 year contract so unless she resigned she would be out but they didn't mention her so...

With the time jump why would they bring back the exchange student, they don't stay that long do they?

When did they decide to make new Mandy not so dumb? Because she was pretty dumb when she took over the role.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

So they did a 3 year time jump but Eve is still in the Air Force, how many years was she in before the jump because it's a 4 year contract so unless she resigned she would be out but they didn't mention her so...

I think Eve was always planning on being career military.

• Useful 1
On 1/19/2021 at 10:06 PM, foxfreakinmulder said:

If you can get in to Air Force Academy, it's free. But in turn, you owe them 2 years (i think?) of service once you graduate. I haven't done the math but I think that lines up accurately with Eve still being away. She would be in her service years now.

1 hour ago, Aryanna said:

If you can get in to Air Force Academy, it's free. But in turn, you owe them 2 years (i think?) of service once you graduate. I haven't done the math but I think that lines up accurately with Eve still being away. She would be in her service years now.

My sons military contract is 4 years. Granted he's a Marine but I do believe all branches are 4 years and his contracted started when he arrived at boot camp.

I was just curious because when comedy shows do a time jump they don't think too hard about story lines, how old is Boyd now? Are they replacing the last actor they had with one that's 3 years older? I never really got into this show too much, the only characters I like are the original Mandy, original Kristin, Kyle and Mike.

I didn't mind the episode but I am confused about what exactly Jen's father is going to speak out about that requires him to send his daughter away for a year for her safety. 

Ryan being chased by a goose made me laugh. I am hating his look this season, though. It's not only his hair, it's like his face is a different color too, so weird. It's like there's a grayish tint to it, I can't even explain it. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

You didn't watch did you? 🧐

No my station was going in an out, so I missed why she was really back. The truth is, while it make sense in a "real world" manner. As her father was shown to be not be supportive of his government when the character first showed up. The only people that really "like" the character are the writers themselves. Since they had to shut down again for covid restrictions, it's pretty much set in stone this is the end of the series. They could have still acknowledge that Jen was part of the family, but it's more of: "Well, we want her there, because we WANT her there, not in context of the show having organic story telling." 

On 1/21/2021 at 3:22 PM, foxfreakinmulder said:

My sons military contract is 4 years. Granted he's a Marine but I do believe all branches are 4 years and his contracted started when he arrived at boot camp.

Air Force Academy is not a boot camp. It's the same as a four year university. It would be like attending the Naval Academy or West Point.

9 hours ago, Aryanna said:

Air Force Academy is not a boot camp. It's the same as a four year university. It would be like attending the Naval Academy or West Point.

Thanks Aryanna 🙂 I'm not a regular watcher, all I knew was she Air Force and I thought it was the branch.  I was just curious what was going on with her with the time jump since they don't mention her that often.

Edited by foxfreakinmulder
  • Love 2
On 1/24/2021 at 3:37 AM, Aryanna said:

Graduates owe service time after graduating.  So, although not boot camp, it's not a completely free ride either.

I have never liked the Jen character so agree with others that they should have just left that story line alone.  It also was very convoluted how they brought her back; they should have just focused on the story lines they already had going for the final season.  It did make me wonder though where she was staying in the house what with NuMandy , Kyle, and unseen children living there.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I like Ryan's new look-I think he looks quite handsome.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

It did make me wonder though where she was staying in the house what with NuMandy , Kyle, and unseen children living there.

That house has always seemed like it had more bedrooms than should fit (especially since they seemed so large).  There's the master br, Kristen, Mandy, Eve, and Boyd all had their own rooms the first season, and I'm pretty sure (though not 100% positive, that there was a guest room).  That's 6 bedrooms.

On 1/25/2021 at 11:03 AM, seacliffsal said:

Graduates owe service time after graduating.  So, although not boot camp, it's not a completely free ride either.

Yeah, you may not have seen my post on a previous page but I did mention that after a student finishes Air Force Academy then they owe the branch a few years of service.

• Love 1