Type keyword(s) to search

Windy City Rehab - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

Joanna Gaines put up rusty light fixtures over a dining room table on an early episode of Fixer Upper. I nearly gagged when I saw them installed. I thought for sure she'd  "fixer upper" them by sanding off the rust and repainting them when she bought them, but no... Doesn't everyone like little rust flakes in their food?

I'm betting that's just for the filming with the staged furniture and decoration on Fixer Upper, and I bet that was fixed before move in (you can spray rust paint right over existing rust, and it lasts forever.

However, on this show I'm guessing that the staging furniture goes back, but the light fixtures and other things are exactly what the buyer gets.    I couldn't believe in the smallish rooms on Bereniece that they put living room chairs right in the door way.   What are house buyers supposed to do, crawl over?   I hate the stand alone tub in the shower too.   I can only imagine what cleaning that place would be like.    

4 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

Joanna Gaines put up rusty light fixtures over a dining room table on an early episode of Fixer Upper. I nearly gagged when I saw them installed. I thought for sure she'd  "fixer upper" them by sanding off the rust and repainting them when she bought them, but no... Doesn't everyone like little rust flakes in their food?

I'm betting that's just for the filming with the staged furniture and decoration on Fixer Upper, and I bet that was fixed before move in (you can spray rust paint right over existing rust, and it lasts forever.

However, on this show I'm guessing that the staging furniture goes back, but the light fixtures and other things are exactly what the buyer gets.    I couldn't believe in the smallish rooms on Bereniece that they put living room chairs right in the door way.   What are house buyers supposed to do, crawl over?   I hate the stand alone tub in the shower too.   I can only imagine what cleaning that place would be like.    

I read that Donovan moved out of state, I wonder if it's where Ari lives?     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, WI GIRL56 said:

I grew up in Chicago and spent my 1st 33 years living there.  It was driving me crazy how she said the street name Berenice.  Never heard it called that.  My DH grew up a few blocks off of Berenice and also never heard it called that.  The project manager called it bur-niece which is what we always called it.  She was saying Bare-a-niece.  Maybe that is the French way.

Her designs are awful.   Just sad how it turns out.  Pull all the old woodwork out.  Ugh!  Ari's new digs are lovely and his girls are adorbs.

Yup, although the pronunciation of Goethe St has been shifting lately too (closer to the German pronunciation), so who knows.  (Random facts: I used to live quite near this place and strongly considered buying a place a block and a half from this one, which needed a lot of rehab and was too close to the L, so I said no.)

Agree re Ari, whom I like, and her designs.

9 hours ago, cameron said:

Just looked up the sold comps for the Ravenswood area of Chicago.  Good luck with the number she has the home listed for.  High for the area.  Never want to be the most expensive place in the neighborhood, unless it's a really exceptionable place and Ravenswood doesn't qualify for the honor.

Ravenswood in general is overlapping but different (covers a more diverse area, including parts of the better parts of Uptown, and definitely mostly areas to the north of this place) than North Center, and new construction in NC proper (which is where this is) has a higher price.  It's a gentrified area (was mostly white, is now mostly white, but the income level has definitely changed, and it has some of the best elementary school districts in the city and is very family-oriented). There are 35 houses (per redfin) that have sold for $1.5m+ in North Center in the past year, so she might be able to come close if it seems like new construction, given the size.  (I find the fact that turf instead of grass is not a turnoff odd, among other things, but who knows.)

• Love 1

I forgot to mention earlier about how ridiculous that tub was with the water to fill it falling from the effing ceiling. I mean WTF? Was that designed by the CIA for water boarding? What is the effing point? 🙄

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I forgot to mention earlier about how ridiculous that tub was with the water to fill it falling from the effing ceiling. I mean WTF? Was that designed by the CIA for water boarding? What is the effing point? 🙄

I've seen plenty of them featured in upscale houses. It's useless, but it shows you where the $$ was spent.

As an aside, saw one installed on a show, the water flow has to be calibrated  so it doesn't splash  in the tub..

Speaking of, I wonder why Allison doesn't add bidets?

Edited by sheetmoss

Guess who has their Chicago house on the market for over $2 million? 

https://chicago.suntimes.com/movies-and-tv/2020/9/30/21495995/windy-city-rehab-alison-victoria-bucktown

Yes, the kitchen is white everything, but with the usual brass or whatever it is hood. 

Speculation is that since part of the design business offices are in Las Vegas, that she'll be moving there.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I am surprised to see that her own house is neither painted white nor black. If she moves the whole production to Vegas, I hope she'll cut the dark colors out completely. The tacky style does kinda fit for my perception of Vegas, however, so that might be good for her?

Just looked at the pictures of her home and now know where she gets her ideas for the other places that they do.  A lot of the same features in her own home (brass hood, brass fireplace, coffee bar with corbels, etc.).  At least she started with a new property instead of gutting a historic property and ripping it of its charm.

10 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

I've seen plenty of them featured in upscale houses. It's useless, but it shows you where the $$ was spent.

As an aside, saw one installed on a show, the water flow has to be calibrated  so it doesn't splash  in the tub..

Speaking of, I wonder why Allison doesn't add bidets?

Maybe the $4000 toilets have a built in bidet. 
BTW, can you imagine what havoc a kid or two could wreak with that kind of bathtub set-up? 😆

• LOL 3
19 hours ago, cameron said:

Just looked at the pictures of her home and now know where she gets her ideas for the other places that they do.  A lot of the same features in her own home (brass hood, brass fireplace, coffee bar with corbels, etc.).  At least she started with a new property instead of gutting a historic property and ripping it of its charm.

I looked too and you're right:

https://www.trulia.com/p/il/chicago/1831-n-paulina-st-chicago-il-60622--2104156831

Almost everything she does on the show is taken from her own house.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

I looked too and you're right:

https://www.trulia.com/p/il/chicago/1831-n-paulina-st-chicago-il-60622--2104156831

Almost everything she does on the show is taken from her own house.

Oh, yes. I mean, of course, right? She comes off as very self-centered and would OBVIOUSLY feel that if she likes it, the high end buyers will love it and pay extra for it. Because she has taste and class and if the buyers don't like exactly what she likes, they lack taste and class. Has she designed a house that had any other character than exactly what is in her own house?

Does the door handle in the powder bath have a hand for the handle? It really is brass/gold overload--made more obvious by the lack of ANY other color.

• Love 1

Holy moly. That house is gaudy. It starts with that sea urchin lamp in the dining room. 

Interesting note, the realtor is not the one she uses for the flips. It seems like he doesn't perform well for what she does, considering Berenice is still on the market with a lower price. She's losing money on that one. 

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, hurrrz said:

Holy moly. That house is gaudy. It starts with that sea urchin lamp in the dining room. 

Interesting note, the realtor is not the one she uses for the flips. It seems like he doesn't perform well for what she does, considering Berenice is still on the market with a lower price. She's losing money on that one. 

Never would have thought about sea urchin.  But you're right.  Just thought it was outright ugly.

• Love 2

After hearing this season (most of it was actually filmed the same time as last season), that homes are taking almost two years to finish, I can't believe any private investor or bank would bank roll her.     I'm surprised other contractors are willing to work with her, especially after this season's episodes aired.  

I can't say how much I hate the shower room, with the bath tub in it.     I see zero point to that, and it would be a nightmare to keep dry.    Are you supposed to have someone in the tub, and still have room for two more people to take showers all at the same time?  I see no point in the range hood/mantle.    I can see what ever you put up there falling off, and hitting you, or the stove.  

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/il/chicago/1924-w-berenice-ave/pid_38227657/   I hate the staging in the living room.    What are you supposed to do, vault the chairs to get into the living room?    It makes the living room look crowded, and tiny.  

I am so sick of the commercials, advertising that the partnership is going to dissolve.    It happened a long time ago, so I guess the producers think no one knows that?     Good luck getting anything solved by going on TV and trying to blame everything on one partner.    It wouldn't give me a reason to consider buying a house (not that I have the money to buy a million dollar property) that's been shown to have stop work orders, and took almost two years to finish.    I also hate brass range hoods too.    On the Berenice house, in the kitchen picture you can see the corroded spots on the pendant lights.  

It's not just Chicago where the real estate is slumping.  Manhattan has over 10,000 empty apartments, and lots of places for sale at bargain (relatively bargain) prices.   I understand the San Francisco area is having the same sales downturn.     Apparently a lot of people are taking stock, and deciding they don't want to live in central cities when they can move further out, and have more land, and a bigger house.   I guess if you're going to be working, and schooling from home, that a teeny apartment downtown isn't good when you can get so much more in the suburbs.  

I have to laugh at the continued incompetence this rehab show features.   My guess is the camera people and editors don't like AV, because they show her worst moments.     With Berenice, she tells Ari to cut the mantle over the range hood 4" thick, and then when he does, and mentions nothing fit on the mantle.   So she tells him to make it thicker as if it was Ari's fault, and not her instructions.     The rusty pendant lights over the island are awful.  

When she was carting the nekkid butt work up the stairs to the house, she claimed it was a drawing of her own butt.  

On the new show tonight, I have to laugh at the downtown condo, and Donovan saying that there are different rules to qualify to buy, and rules for construction.    Yes, they won't be working any time they want, had to get real financing, and won't be doing anything they really want to do.   My guess is the condo neighbors didn't enjoy this entire renovation process. 

If her budget is accurate, with over $700K for purchase, and an equal amount for rehab, then they have to get over $1.5 to even break even, and even more than that for closing, and commissions.    Plus, the carrying costs on a condo that fancy must be staggering.   My guess is this won't be a win.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I know Alison went to UNLV so she has a Vegas connection, but we don’t need her here in the desert painting the houses black.  Not a good idea.

ETA:  The people who live here do not do "gaudy".  We are like everyone else, despite what the Flipping Vegas couple would have you believe.

Edited by 3 is enough
3 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I know Alison went to UNLV so she has a Vegas connection, but we don’t need her here in the desert painting the houses black.  Not a good idea.

ETA:  The people who live here do not do "gaudy".  We are like everyone else, despite what the Flipping Vegas couple would have you believe.

I was just going to mention the Flipping Vegas couple!  Talk about gaudy!!!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Considering 90% of our homes are governed by an HOA, she doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell getting approval for black paint, so we are safe from that idea 😉

• LOL 5

So, the pictures on the floor in the dining room (pics 4 & 5) are a design choice?  I like the colors/vibe of the family room off the kitchen, except for the coffered ceiling as there is not enough height in that room to pull it off.  The room looks squat. I hate the living wall in pic 14.  It looks fake.  I don't get the wine room, perhaps I'm not rich enough.   I'd rather have an office and drink my wine in front of the fire.

• Love 1
On 10/3/2020 at 12:29 AM, LittleIggy said:

Is that supposed to be a butt in that painting in photo 16? 😆

I noticed that she staged one of the houses (Berenice?) with an awful lot of nekkid butt artwork. I commented on it as I was watching the episode. Interesting that her own home has them, as well. Seems to be an obsession with her. Snort. 

Yeah, that dining room lamp. WTF?

Out of all HGTV flippers, her taste is the most outrageous. Las Vegas is probably the right place for her. The flip shows out there have been more nutzo. There was a husband and wife flipping show from Vegas....no, not douchebag Scott from Flipping Vegas. Another couple. She was one of the cookie cutter blond designers that all look alike. Her designs were gaudy as hell. Alison will give her a run for her money. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

OMG! The bitch doesn’t even pretend that she isn’t going to paint the antique piece black anymore. I screamed “Nooooo!” when Alison headed for that cool ornate Bavarian piece. 😡 I wish it were a cursed piece of furniture.

• Love 3

Looks like she's gonna lose money on her "$2 million" Delaware:

Purchase Price: $775,000
Renovation Expense: $752,700
Total: $1,527,700

It's been on the market for a year now and is currently listed at $1,425,000:

https://www.trulia.com/p/il/chicago/200-e-delaware-pl-8-9c-chicago-il-60611--2103893942

As soon as I saw the antique piece I knew she was going to paint it black.

I also loved when they were putting the counter tops in and it's blatantly obvious it's two pieces and her voice over says they made it seamless.

Singing lessons for the 7th inning stretch? 

How many times did she say "sick" during this episode?

She really thought that wine dispenser was a good idea and was going to add value to the place?

Ugh.  Why do I watch this show?  lol

Edited by KeithJ
  • Love 4

Ari seems like a nice guy, but I’m not impressed by his artwork.

Wonder who HGTV had to bribe to get that first pitch for Alison. 🙄
I liked that she saved those neat hand painted tiles from the backsplash, but then she turned them into coasters. Bitch.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 3

If I lived in Chicago (and could afford her houses), I would RUN from anything she’s renovated. It’s ugly, and it’s usually not built well.  That master bath was hideous with all the busy tile. Either do the veined tile on the wall with plain white on the floor or vice versa. Both made my eyes hurt. 
Donovan seems shady, but if it’s your name on these houses (as she likes to crow), then maybe don’t flitter around at Wrigley and figure out what’s happening at your company. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, KeithJ said:

Purchase Price: $775,000
Renovation Expense: $752,700
Total: $1,527,700

I only caught the end of this how.  It didn't look like there was reconfiguration.  How did  she spend three quarters of a million dollar?  I know she blamed Donovan for botching the budget but then said it was due to taxes and assessments, but any buyer knows what taxes and assessments are up front.  I think Donovan is shady but honestly, she looks stupid with the whole I was blindsided thing.  Did he write out the checks to himself from her company's account?  Someone had to authorize it?  Are there no financial checks?  Just a big bucket of money anyone can dip into without being challenged?  Our family does small flips as a side business.  We meet weekly to go over budgets and progress by project.  Every penny is accounted for.  And, were we're talking small potatoes compared to these projects.  But money is money.

• Love 4

The monthly HOA/assessments on that place are over $2,000 a month, taxes are big too.    If they spent $750K on purchase, and another $750k or so on remodeling, then $1.5 was break even, add the staging costs, carrying costs for a year, mortgage, and $1.6 would have been a loss, let alone at $1.425 million.      I wonder how many other properties haven't been finished or sold?    

I could have done without the baseball stuff.    

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/200-E-Delaware-Pl-8-9C_Chicago_IL_60611_M87668-84663

Scroll down in the property information, and prepare yourself for the annual taxes, and monthly assessment.     I'm hoping for the big assessment, that a lot of things are included like some utilities, but it really doesn't say.  

Bereniece is still on the market, and will be another loss the way it's going.  https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1924-W-Berenice-Ave_Chicago_IL_60613_M86522-68045

I wonder how well her own place will sell?    

I'm wondering if the worst factor is all of these homes hitting the market when there is a big downturn in the central city, plus the carrying costs don't go down because the home value is tanking either.    As a buyer I would also wonder about the title search, and possible liens from subs on the jobs.    

I don't drink, and don't have any liquor in my house, so what would I do with that industrial size wine machine?    Those bottles are huge, and how many glasses of wine would that device hold?   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Plus, with the negative publicity this show has gotten IN Chicago, buyers are probably very cautious about buying anything she's done. There's not the selling point that their home was featured on HGTV, because everyone IN Chicago knows about the stop orders and law suits.  I mean, Berenece is pretty, and it's NOT painted black, but buyers KNOW they're taking a chance that the plumbing and roof may leak. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

That has to be blamed on Ari the "artist". Stick to wood, dude. 

The naked butts give him wood.

I agree that the veined marble was way too busy. 
No, Alison, painting an antique black doesn’t make it look contemporary. It makes you look tasteless.

Shouldn’t Alison’s “money person” be keeping an eye on where the money is going? Who cuts the checks? Donovan may be shady, but Alison and her people are incompetent.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

She's awful. This show is such a train wreck and I watch it because of that. I skipped the stupid baseball stuff. Nobody cares. 

I find it amazing that they double down on throwing Donovan under the bus. This is a team effort. Ignorance is not bliss for this. 

That condo was very hit and miss for me. That master bath was insanely busy and ugly for me. Why did she do 2 different countertops in the kitchen? What's the deal with the walnut veneer kitchen cabinets and the black build in right next to it? 

I suppose the curved bookcases in that bonus space were meant to somewhat riff of the staircase, but I felt it didn't fit the space at all. 

As for the cabinet. Jeez.. Stop painting stuff black. Good thing this is a condo, or else the whole building would've been at risk. 

This condo being on the market for 1 year. She's paid $32k+ in HOA fees alone for this one sitting there unoccupied. With that kind of HOA fee, I think it'd be next to impossible to maybe do this as a rental or Airbnb type deal either to at least cover some cost. 

The way the talks to Ari should make him not take new jobs from her. I suspect the exposure on this show may have helped his business enough. Run, dude. Run. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, hurrrz said:

[...]

This condo being on the market for 1 year. She's paid $32k+ in HOA fees alone for this one sitting there unoccupied. With that kind of HOA fee, I think it'd be next to impossible to maybe do this as a rental or Airbnb type deal either to at least cover some cost. 

[...]

Would the HOA fees be a tax writeoff?

I'm guessing that the chance of a HOA condo on the Gold Coast (I hope I got that right) being allowed to have  short term renters is zero.    Also, from what I saw, there are over 10 units in that building for sale, and this one is the biggest, with the biggest price tag.   They might be able to rent it out, but I'm wondering if it would bring in enough rent to cover the expenses, and there is still the huge mortgage or investment loan.   If it was purchased with outside investors, then it might be that the condo has to be sold, and not rented.   

I also thought the kitchen with two counters was dark, and didn't look coordinated.    I saw no point for the wine dispenser.     The master bath made me dizzy.   Too many patterns, and it looked like a showroom for bathroom finishes.   

I hated the arched bookcases.   They didn't fit in with anything else.

With the mortgage payments, and interest, the association fees, the taxes, utilities, and staging costs (I bet you have to pay every few months for staging), and commissions, and closing costs if it ever sells, then $1.425 is a big loss.     The strange thing is the condo is only on the market in the last couple of weeks, so I don't know if it was offered already with another realtor or if this is the first offering on the market.    

I didn't like the two apartments being change to a two story.   I would have preferred to have two apartments on the same floor be connected and reconfigured into one.  

I don't like the outside of the building, and I don't know why.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

Most if not all HOAs in downtown Chicago area require 12-month leases to avoid owners becoming AirBnB hosts. Funny story: homeowner did it anyway, claimed it was a friend, got busted, paid huge fine. 

Allison's just not successful, but HGTV doesn't seem to care about all the bad publicity. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Shouldn’t Alison’s “money person” be keeping an eye on where the money is going? Who cuts the checks? Donovan may be shady, but Alison and her people are incompetent.

Exactly my thoughts...who's doing the checks & balances? Wouldn't her accountant notice dual invoices?

Apparently, Donovan was passing off invoices under his company name for tile and/or flooring, creating duplicate invoices for the same product. Why AV wasn't more involved in her finances is on her. She was WAY too trusting.

• Love 1

As a self proclaimed Chicago native; Alison really should know better than to say that the Delaware Place condo is in the Gold Coast when it is actually in the Streeterville section of downtown Chicago.  Shame on you Alison.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

With the mortgage payments, and interest, the association fees, the taxes, utilities, and staging costs (I bet you have to pay every few months for staging), and commissions, and closing costs if it ever sells, then $1.425 is a big loss.     The strange thing is the condo is only on the market in the last couple of weeks, so I don't know if it was offered already with another realtor or if this is the first offering on the market.   

It's been on the market for a year with two different realtors:

image.thumb.png.efb3dd6e6a71e7ed7f6d5d48dc26096f.png

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, cameron said:

As a self proclaimed Chicago native; Alison really should know better than to say that the Delaware Place condo is in the Gold Coast when it is actually in the Streeterville section of downtown Chicago.  Shame on you Alison.

She said “Gold Coast” about 20 times! Gold Coast sounds fancier, doesn’t it?

• Love 3
On 10/7/2020 at 8:30 AM, CeceliaBedelia said:

I only caught the end of this how.  It didn't look like there was reconfiguration.  How did  she spend three quarters of a million dollar?  I know she blamed Donovan for botching the budget but then said it was due to taxes and assessments, but any buyer knows what taxes and assessments are up front.  I think Donovan is shady but honestly, she looks stupid with the whole I was blindsided thing.  Did he write out the checks to himself from her company's account?  Someone had to authorize it?  Are there no financial checks?  Just a big bucket of money anyone can dip into without being challenged?  Our family does small flips as a side business.  We meet weekly to go over budgets and progress by project.  Every penny is accounted for.  And, were we're talking small potatoes compared to these projects.  But money is money.

I also have invested in real estate in Chicago and none of this makes any sense. According to both Donovan and Allison, there are investors involved in funding these projects. What is their cut of the phantom profits? Why would anyone continue to invest with them, given their performance. This building is 46 years old and I doubt anything in the building has ever sold for the square foot asking on this unit. As the building ages the assessments(and special assessments) that are coming will only make the building less desirable over time.

• Love 4