Type keyword(s) to search

Friends - General Discussion

• Start Topic

In the flashback episode, Monica was feeling down about not having a boyfriend and Chandler said she's the most beautiful person he knows in real life and gave her a hug. I remember thinking "....huh." I never thought about them before but it was the first time I saw a spark. Looks like I wasn't the only one who noticed.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Like 2
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Oh yeah, I get Rachel going. But not anybody else. It’s why I don’t really like that episode because I’m like, WHY ARE YOU GOING TO THIS?!

Maybe there was an open bar to break up any boredom?

• LOL 3

Chandler and Monica were my favorite couple on the show. They had a nice build up over the series from friendship to marriage and avoided all the drama that Ross and Rachel were notorious for. They complimented one another so well and seem the most believable as a couple. 

• Like 16
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Olis93 said:

Chandler and Monica were my favorite couple on the show. They had a nice build up over the series from friendship to marriage and avoided all the drama that Ross and Rachel were notorious for. They complimented one another so well and seem the most believable as a couple. 

Yeah. Ross never got over how his dream high school girl ended up with him and still expect her to be the the same cheerleader with no real goals. Rachel's life didn't end up the way she thought (until later with fashion) and here comes Ross who adored her and that's a heady feeling. At least a little part of her clung to that even when things went south. I still can't believe she gave up Paris.

Chandler and Monica knew who each other were and what they were getting. One of my favorite scenes was when Monica took Rachel to the eye doctor and Rachel messed up the floor to avoid going. Monica says that won't work, but then opened the door to gesture at the mess and Chandler was like "Yeah, I know. Just go." I also love the scene when Monica opened all the wedding gifts and Chandler kissed another bride, and they high-fived each other to call it even.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Like 7
On 12/6/2023 at 3:42 PM, MadyGirl1987 said:

See, I get not wanting to go, I wouldn’t either, but then they should have been mature adults and said they don’t want to go. Also; Rachel was his girlfriend at the time. Sometimes in a relationship you show up for your partner at stuff you may not care about or want to do. Going to boring work events with a partner or spouse is pretty commonplace.

I love how this is exactly the sort of thing they'd just demonstrate with Monica and Chandler. Like when Monica doesn't like the person Chandler is with his boss, laughing at his dumb jokes, but when she's with him she realizes oh no, he has to do that and I need to support him. Rachel or Ross in that situation would have continued judging the other person for not pissing off their boss to retain the other's admiration.

• Like 10
49 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

I love how this is exactly the sort of thing they'd just demonstrate with Monica and Chandler. Like when Monica doesn't like the person Chandler is with his boss, laughing at his dumb jokes, but when she's with him she realizes oh no, he has to do that and I need to support him. Rachel or Ross in that situation would have continued judging the other person for not pissing off their boss to retain the other's admiration.

And can you imagine how Ross would have reacted if Rachel changed her name to Princess Consuela Bananahammock? Instead Mike just picks a silly name - Crap Bag and they have fun with it.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

And can you imagine how Ross would have reacted if Rachel changed her name to Princess Consuela Bananahammock? Instead Mike just picks a silly name - Crap Bag and they have fun with it.

Haha except I don't think Phoebe found it to be fun - which was why I loved it so much 😂

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

Mike was trying to teach Phoebe a lesson which she learned when she had to introduce Mike to her client using his “new name”. Ross would probably be worried if Rachel changed her name to something like that because it’s dumb and childish.

And he'd be correct.  Hence the need for Mike to teach Phoebe that lesson 😃

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
34 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I've seen the Friends Lego set. They even have the cheesecake on the floor in the hallway and the picture of Gladys that Phoebe made.

*small voice* I might have both Friends Lego sets. *small voice*

I also have a Sesame Street set and the Home Alone house, both of which are awesome. What can I say? I find Legos soothing.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Mike was trying to teach Phoebe a lesson which she learned when she had to introduce Mike to her client using his “new name”. Ross would probably be worried if Rachel changed her name to something like that because it’s dumb and childish.

Phoebe was not my favorite on the show, but I loved her with Mike. Mike brought out the best in her. 

• Like 6

I agree about Phoebe and Mike. Part of her always craved a more “normal “ life that she didn’t get to experience as a child and Mike was just quirky enough to appreciate her. Phoebe was my least favorite character but I loved her wedding as it suited her perfectly.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

There’s a category in the Primetimer Awards to vote for best the Friends Thanksgiving episode….

My favorite is between TOW Chandler in a box & TOW Ross got high.

Always loved having Elliot Gould and Christina Pickles on as the Gellars. 

• Like 6
22 minutes ago, Acmeproducts said:

My favorite is between TOW Chandler in a box & TOW Ross got high.

Always loved having Elliot Gould and Christina Pickles on as the Gellars. 

I vote TOW Ross got high just for Judy's little speech."Joey, if you want to go, just go. Phoebe, I think Jacques Cousteau is dead.... " and the rest of it.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I vote TOW Ross got high just for Judy's little speech."Joey, if you want to go, just go. Phoebe, I think Jacques Cousteau is dead.... " and the rest of it.

Agreed!

”Rachel, no you weren’t supposed to put beef in the trifle. It did not taste good.”

• LOL 8
21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I vote TOW Ross got high just for Judy's little speech." Joey, if you want to go, just go. Phoebe, I think Jacques Cousteau is dead.... " and the rest of it.

"That's a lot of information to get in thirty seconds" was the part that killed me. 

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Acmeproducts said:

They did a great job casting the Gellars. 

I remember my husband saying that Schwimmer reminded him a lot of Eliot Gould and then voila! There he was, playing Ross' dad. Great casting. And Judy had just the right amount of sweet and sour to be believable as their mom.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

The Gellers (which, I saw online is indeed with two e's, which makes me think of  Ol' Yeller, and Phoebe learning about its less than happy ending - i.e. "What kind of a doggie snuff film IS THIS?!") were hilarious.

I did like that Jack/Judy still seemed very much in love, even if I'm like Monica at Ross' wedding to Emily and didn't need to actually see it. LOL!

But of the two, I think Jack was a slightly better parent, at least to Monica. I remember how he came to the apartment after Monica's split with Richard and kept her company...

• Like 7
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

But of the two, I think Jack was a slightly better parent, at least to Monica. I remember how he came to the apartment after Monica's split with Richard and kept her company...

I loved that scene! One of my favorites.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Jack could be pretty thoughtless, but he was capable of genuine sweetness. Judy was more… difficult. At least where Monica was concerned.

I always enjoyed the Gellers and I, too, liked that they obviously loved each other. At the same time, I’m so glad they’re not my parents!

• Like 6
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Every time I think of him I think, "Buried at sea. Huh."

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

Matthew Perry’s cause of death released-

“Matthew Perry, who was found dead at 54 in his home in October, died from the “acute effects of ketamine,” according to a news release from the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner.

Contributing factors in the accidental death of the “Friends” star included drowning, coronary artery disease and the effects of buprenorphine ― a drug used in the treatment of opioid addiction.  “

• Sad 6
26 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Matthew Perry’s cause of death released-

“Matthew Perry, who was found dead at 54 in his home in October, died from the “acute effects of ketamine,” according to a news release from the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner.

Contributing factors in the accidental death of the “Friends” star included drowning, coronary artery disease and the effects of buprenorphine ― a drug used in the treatment of opioid addiction.  “

That poor, poor man. He must have been in so much pain.

• Sad 5

This is Chandler related - last week we went shopping in a village in the Adirondacks and I had picked up a couple of scones at this cute coffee shop.  When I got them out of the big tote bag we were putting all of our purchases in, I realized that were on the bottom, and when I opened the bag they were a bit smushed.

Of course, when I looked in the bag I said “my scone!”. And the hubby didn’t get it, which made me sad.

• Hugs 2
  • LOL 1

Reading closer, it sounds like he may have been self-medicating/using ketamine recreationally. His last infusion therapy treatment was more than a week before his death, so he shouldn’t have had it in his system. Poor man. From reading his book, it was clear how much he suffered and struggled.

• Sad 7
  • Useful 1
On 12/13/2023 at 9:17 PM, AgathaC said:

Jack could be pretty thoughtless, but he was capable of genuine sweetness. Judy was more… difficult. At least where Monica was concerned.

I always enjoyed the Gellers and I, too, liked that they obviously loved each other. At the same time, I’m so glad they’re not my parents!

Jack I would label as clueless.  Judy was deliberately cruel to Monica.

I loved when Monica was going to borrow money from them and Judy assumed Monica would need money (which she did), but Jack said that our little Harmonica has been saving her money  like we taught her (not the exact quote, but the gist). 

And when Judy was complaining that Monica wasn't a high-powered career woman OR married and Jack just assumed she was happy with her life and didn't "need it all."  

It was almost like they were attacking her from different angles, but Judy was assuming she was a screw up and Jack just had the ultimate amount of confidence in her. And Monica couldn't be honest because she didn't want to prove her mom right or her dad wrong, when the truth was, like most of us, she lay somewhere between a total screw up and a great success.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

The 2023 edition of TCM Remembers was released today and, as expected, Matthew Perry was included (along with a lot of other big names).

Set to a cover of "Learning To Fly" originally by Tom Petty; edited to add that apparently, the artist covering the song is Christina Perri:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

The 2023 edition of TCM Remembers was released today and, as expected, Matthew Perry was included (along with a lot of other big names).

Set to a cover of "Learning To Fly" originally by Tom Petty; unsure of the artist here:

Thank you for that.

• Like 2
On 12/19/2023 at 6:19 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Set to a cover of "Learning To Fly" originally by Tom Petty; edited to add that apparently, the artist covering the song is Christina Perri:

My last post seems to have gotten lost in the transition, so I'll just say again, thank you for this. TCM always does a beautiful job with their TCM Remembers, and it's always much better than the Oscars.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

So I rewatched some episodes after not watching for years and I found myself really connecting to Phoebe.

The writing always made Phoebe the quirky one..but I saw someone that had been disappointed and traumatized by her past that she used quirkiness as a shield to avoid being hurt.

Out of all the friends, I think Phoebe viewed the group as her found family.  That's telling when she's the one to tell Ross and Rachel post one of their break ups that they needed to figure out how to co exist because they wouldnt going to pick sides and the tension between them was affecting everyone else.

I think Lisa K provided that depth to Phoebe.and the show eventually wrote to that.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

So I rewatched some episodes after not watching for years and I found myself really connecting to Phoebe.

The writing always made Phoebe the quirky one..but I saw someone that had been disappointed and traumatized by her past that she used quirkiness as a shield to avoid being hurt.

Out of all the friends, I think Phoebe viewed the group as her found family.  That's telling when she's the one to tell Ross and Rachel post one of their break ups that they needed to figure out how to co exist because they wouldnt going to pick sides and the tension between them was affecting everyone else.

I think Lisa K provided that depth to Phoebe.and the show eventually wrote to that.

I loved when she told Joey how it was.

image.png.0aff0e1bb480cda205b7331a1d916ec1.png

• Like 4
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Does anyone know if the guy with the broken leg who was in the hospital when Rachel had Emma is the same guy who played Sully on “Bones”?

Yes and he was the main character in Warehouse 13 and Ted's brother in Better Off Ted (and he's been in a bunch of other stuff too).

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 12/25/2023 at 11:20 AM, JAYJAY1979 said:

I never really thought of that.  Must have been especially hurtful when Rachel told her she "lifts right out."

• Sad 4