Type keyword(s) to search

Stardate 2018.364 (and Beyond): Scheduling and Ratings

shapeshifter
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Superclam said:

So I see the first one listed for Sunday, but I don't see any other episodes listed on my DVR or on my tv listings. When is it going to be shown regularly? Wasn't it on Thursday last season?  

Thank you, @Superclam! I would never have recalled that.

Zap2it shows:

"Primal Urges" S02.E02 Thursday, Jan 3, 2019, 9/8 CT

"Home" S02.E03, Thursday, Jan 10, 2019, 9/8 CT

*off to update my spreadsheet*

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

I just noticed this thread. The last episode's ratings were terrible, a series low; .6 in the key demo. I hope people just forgot it was back.

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-thursday-jan-3-2019/

😧

9 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

It would be easy to forget since the 2nd episode aired the same week as the premiere.  Many people probably didn't realize it was on again.

Good point! 

Plus, since this started out as sort of a "vanity" project for Seth (something he'd always wanted to do) and he is likely doing some financial backing himself (just guessing producers do that, especially those with gazillions of disposable income), and because he has been such a long time money maker for the network, I think ratings wouldn't matter as much as for other shows.

2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

The last two weeks the Orville' ratings were .7 in the key demo. Not good. It might not get renewed at this rate.

It is still doing better than its lead in, Gotham, which is in its final season and on its last legs. With a stronger lead in show it might be doing better, but I would be more worried if it did worse than its lead in.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ketose said:

It's already well known that Seth MacFarlane is tired of doing Family Guy. If FOX cancelled Orville, I think he'd walk away from the network entirely.

And maybe take the Orville with him? That could be interesting to see WRT changes in the scripts, stories, etc.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, ketose said:

It's already well known that Seth MacFarlane is tired of doing Family Guy. If FOX cancelled Orville, I think he'd walk away from the network entirely.

It's pretty obvious that Seth and the entire Family Guy team is bored with the show and half assing it in a way that even other long running animated shows that have run out of new ideas and new angles on their characters to explore never have, but he certainly isn't tired of cashing the checks! I do think FOX wants to be in the Seth McFarlane business and that makes them more likely to renew the show if they can make the numbers work at all along with other ancillary concerns like the obvious effort they have made over the last few years to try to keep genre shows with passionate followings on the air if they can, but in the end both sides will make their decisions based on money.

Edited by wknt3
  • Love 3

fyi, I was actually watching via Hulu and didnt even realize the show was on regular broadcast tv until a few weeks ago. For some reason I'd assumed it was like ST:Discovery (other than not being pure crap) and was a streaming show. I wonder to what extent Hulu and Fox online are considered in the ratings and offset bad traditional numbers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

"The network will likely make its decision about 'The Orville' before or during its 2019 Upfronts presentation in New York City on May 13" (ibtimes.com/will-orville-have-season-3-renewal-cancellation-details-2787976).

This is hopefully good news, but I have to ask, with all 'The Orville' has going for it, what does it take these days for a show to get renewed?  If this show is in jeopardy I can't imagine it isn't the new normal for pretty much everything to be in jeopardy.  I read recently that the cost vs. profits of a show have something to do with its renewal too, and from the looks of the recent special effects/CGI this show is probably expensive to make.  I'm going to remain optimistic.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

This is hopefully good news, but I have to ask, with all 'The Orville' has going for it, what does it take these days for a show to get renewed?  If this show is in jeopardy I can't imagine it isn't the new normal for pretty much everything to be in jeopardy.  I

What does it take for a show to get renewed? The same thing it always did. Ratings. If this show didn't have everything it has going for it, with the ratings it has it would most likely be headed for cancellation instead of likely renewed. And yes these days with the fractured television landscape almost everything scripted is in jeopardy of being cancelled - there isn't much room for error with shorter seasons and smaller ratings. Of course to a certain degree it has always been the case that the majority of television shows are in jeopardy of being cancelled. It's never been a business known for long term stability.

I read recently that the cost vs. profits of a show have something to do with its renewal too, and from the looks of the recent special effects/CGI this show is probably expensive to make.  I'm going to remain optimistic.

Ever since networks have been allowed to own their own shows in a landscape where ratings are always shrinking and fewer of the viewers that do watch the show watch the ads cost vs. profits has had everything to do with renewal decisions. Sometimes it helps a show, sometimes it hurts. I've actually read that due to the way California production tax credits work for this series the show has actually not been losing tons of money despite the production values so in this case it helps.

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!  😎  Oh thank God, my prayers are answered! 🙏  After all the surprise cancellations in the past two days I was seriously worried this would get the axe. ⛏️ (OK, it's a pick but they didn't have an axe). 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, paulvdb said:

The last time I watched a Hulu original they'd release new episodes at midnight Eastern time. For non-Americans: that's the timezone of their east coast.

Yeah. 
Now I'm in the Eastern Time Zone wishing for Pacific Time.
Heck, even in the suburbs of Chicago the show would come on at 11pm. 
Y-a-a-wn.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Yeah. 
Now I'm in the Eastern Time Zone wishing for Pacific Time.
Heck, even in the suburbs of Chicago the show would come on at 11pm. 
Y-a-a-wn.

I was up and thought I'd check to see if it was there and it was, but I wanted to be more alert when I watched it so I put it off until this evening.

• Applause 2

Hulu is sitting on a GOLD MINE!  Shhhhhh

The hard work creating an interesting universe that people are interested in exploring has already been done. Fleshing out this universe further with a few more seasons of "The Orville: New Horizons" will finish the job of making a bankable vehicle for future series and movies exactly like Star Trek. That gold mine has produced a fortune for the owners and that includes merchandising.

Season One dipped toes in the water and season two found the direction to move in, while season three was about perfect, rivaling the best season on just about any Star Trek series. I do not see how any exec wanting to make money for his studio can do anything but sign the cast up for another 3-4 seasons, get syndication and see the profits roll in year after year.

A new series in the Orville universe could come along three years or so after the Orville finishes its seven year run. How I would like to be in on the action and rake in those dollars like Star trek does for its makers.

Bring it on. More seasons of The Orville! A license to make money.

• Love 3
On 12/12/2022 at 5:02 AM, Peter14 said:

Hulu is sitting on a GOLD MINE!  Shhhhhh

The hard work creating an interesting universe that people are interested in exploring has already been done. Fleshing out this universe further with a few more seasons of "The Orville: New Horizons" will finish the job of making a bankable vehicle for future series and movies exactly like Star Trek. That gold mine has produced a fortune for the owners and that includes merchandising.

Season One dipped toes in the water and season two found the direction to move in, while season three was about perfect, rivaling the best season on just about any Star Trek series. I do not see how any exec wanting to make money for his studio can do anything but sign the cast up for another 3-4 seasons, get syndication and see the profits roll in year after year.

A new series in the Orville universe could come along three years or so after the Orville finishes its seven year run. How I would like to be in on the action and rake in those dollars like Star trek does for its makers.

Bring it on. More seasons of The Orville! A license to make money.

I hear you but don't get your hopes up just yet.  According to several articles I've read online, despite the fact that the cast when questioned seems to want it, the prospects for a season 4 of the Orville are still unknown or potentially doubtful.  These two articles' outlooks go from bad to worse.  The second one even discusses a new series that McFarlane and Scott Grimes are currently working on called "Ted" that might interfere with the Orville.  Plus the cast's options were not picked up for any future Orville seasons.  There is actually a petition on Change.org to bring back the Orville for another season, currently signed by 26,000 people.  I think we all should sign it!

https://www.thereviewgeek.com/renewedorcancelled-theorvilles4/

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/the-orville-season-4-all-we-know.html

• Sad 1
  • Useful 2

Most of the Disney shows (whether they are watchable or not) really are just kind of there and in my opinion, forgettable,  but the Orville actually seems like a conscious, somewhat clumsy, work of art that might really have something to say, given time. 

• Like 3