Type keyword(s) to search

Station 19 - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

On 5/7/2020 at 10:38 PM, anna0852 said:

Thank you! That's why this bed-hopping drama isn't quite working here the way it works on Grey's. I've been trying to make sense of why it always seems 'off'. The cast isn't really big enough to pull it off and the set itself is too compact. With Grey's there are multiple OR's, the ER, the skills lab, offices, CT, supply closets, etc and about twice as many characters to break things up. 19 on the other hand is limited to a smaller station house with few places to split people up. 

It's also all happening way too fast!  So much drama in such a limited amount of time.  How many romances have begun/ended/rebooted/ended/etc. already?  They don't let relationships develop or ebb over time on this show.  It feels like a constant revolving door of relationships, so it's hard to feel any of them are compelling or worth caring about.

• Love 3

Agreed. That’s my biggest issue with Andy. I don’t mind her having love interest but she’s had THREE big ones with THREE of the male leads. They’ve all been in love with her and she’s been just as self centered in each one so I’ve never fully understood why. It’s like the writers stick her with someone and when it doesn’t take off into Mer/Derek levels of feedback they drop it. I feel Jack was awful in season one so they dropped that but now he’s gotten a bit more popular (through actual character development that didn’t just revolve around Andy like the rest of the love interests) they’re trying to shove her back with him. 

Add that to her, Maya and him all sleeping together In turns and it’s just icky. They’re supposed to be best friends - it’s just so fake. 

• Love 4

Since Hamilton dropped yesterday the cast has been doing press, including Oak. Turns out he does a spot-on (like hired-for-Disney quality) Mickey Mouse impression. And had a total goofy bromance going with Daveed Diggs. I really, really want some Hamilton OBC to show up as guest stars now because I think it would be hilarious. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Well that wasn't too bad. I always enjoy Vic when she's being sassy. And the covid stuff was kind of schmaltzy but you know what are you gonna do?

That was not quite what I was expecting with Andy's mom but that was a pretty brave place to go with it. I thought for sure her dad was the one who made the mom leave, rather than the mom doing it herself.

I am glad Robert and Andy aren't completely over. And that he is taking the time to get sober. And that he's apparently facing consequences because that needed to happen.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

It's been so long and I don't remember all details of last season's finale.

For all we know of Pruitt and him knowing he was going to die, I am starting to find it hard he never told Andy her mom was alive or leave her a note.

I understand it's for Sullivan's plot but why haven't we heard of a private fire corporation in 4 seasons!? Now what storyline will we have for Sullivan as he is not going to return to 19? Is he going to keep ignoring his other job and run to Andy's side when there is a fire situation or emergency? I can see him leaving the show soon.

I don't get those kids, they can call for an Aid Car but not call for AAA service. And how did the car part get on the kid's chest which resulted in him laying on the ground toasted behind car? I would think the fire would have knocked him forward.

I forget, what is preventing Vic from finding her own place?

I am getting the feeling Andy's mom had another kid.

Now Travis's dad is gay.

Where was Ben's PRT service?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

I am getting the feeling Andy's mom had another kid.

I didn't think of that, but that sounds very possible. They surely didn't bring her back to life just to have her only be in one episode, and I'm not really sure what else there is to do with her. If the story was that her father was secretly an abusing who kept mom away that would be lots of episodes of angst, but Andy seemed pretty calm at the end. The writers like to give her more angst.

• Useful 2
3 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I didn't think of that, but that sounds very possible. They surely didn't bring her back to life just to have her only be in one episode, and I'm not really sure what else there is to do with her. If the story was that her father was secretly an abusing who kept mom away that would be lots of episodes of angst, but Andy seemed pretty calm at the end. The writers like to give her more angst.

I could be wrong. There was a line tonight Andy had to mention she was an "only" child, so I can see these writers bringing a sibling later in the season.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

I forget, what is preventing Vic from finding her own place?

Yeah, they seem to keep that out of just why is Vic so financially strapped she can't find a place? Even more, her line about her "non-seen parents" all of a sudden not only couldn't keep their restaurant open. You know the place, they HAD to keep working even on major holidays, the father's mom dying and oh no, had to work. Oh, you almost died in a fire? Sorry dear, it's Christmas, have to keep the place open. Now, they are stuck at home and apparently wish they were dead? Seriously, Station 19, what hell is with them they are so hell bent on working 24/7 and saying the hell with everyone?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, readster said:

Yeah, they seem to keep that out of just why is Vic so financially strapped she can't find a place? Even more, her line about her "non-seen parents" all of a sudden not only couldn't keep their restaurant open. You know the place, they HAD to keep working even on major holidays, the father's mom dying and oh no, had to work. Oh, you almost died in a fire? Sorry dear, it's Christmas, have to keep the place open. Now, they are stuck at home and apparently wish they were dead? Seriously, Station 19, what hell is with them they are so hell bent on working 24/7 and saying the hell with everyone?

Didn't Vic get evicted or something? That was why she was crashing with Jackson last season? Maybe she can't get a new lease because of that? Or she has some fear of living alone?

But I don't know why she would be struggling financially, since presumably she gets paid a similar salary as Travis, who can afford his own place.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

How much time passed from last season to this episode?  Andy said something about two weeks since Pruitt died?  But that makes no sense when linked to Grey's Anatomy timeline, so can someone please let me know what I missed?

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, mxc90 said:

I can see him leaving the show soon.

I see Robert leaving as well. I don’t think the writers have any interest in him being Andys love interest anymore and I always felt that was his main purpose. I think they want to circle back to Jack/Andy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Didn't Vic get evicted or something? That was why she was crashing with Jackson last season? Maybe she can't get a new lease because of that? Or she has some fear of living alone?

Right and that would actually be an interesting avenue to take the characters. Basically how not only was her grandma the true "parent" and then her taking care of her all the time while her parents could give a flying fig on her mental and living health being thrown on a teen and young adult. Then the grandma dying and her parents are: "Well, back to the food establish that we have to keep open even if there is a forest fire outside. Great life mom, but FU, we have to serve people." Vic has never really gotten to a sense of feeling independant or to the point she feels she can be "left alone" because it honestly scares her. 

14 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

How much time passed from last season to this episode?  Andy said something about two weeks since Pruitt died?  But that makes no sense when linked to Grey's Anatomy timeline, so can someone please let me know what I missed?

After the scene where Andy met her mom in the hotel, they flashed a "Three Weeks Later" sign.  Did she say two weeks in a flashback or a current day scene? If it is the later, someone clearly messed up.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, KaveDweller said:

After the scene where Andy met her mom in the hotel, they flashed a "Three Weeks Later" sign.  Did she say two weeks in a flashback or a current day scene? If it is the later, someone clearly messed up.

Good point - I was having a hard time following what was a flashback and what was current day.  Maybe it was a flashback scene; that would make way more sense!!

• Love 1

I really need a recap, because I kind of forgot half of what happened last season. I definitely remember Andy and her mom though, and I really do have to give the show credit, the have made me finally like Andy, mostly because I feel really sorry for her. Even by the standards of this franchise, they really do love dumping crap on the poor women. I guess this is a bit of a good news bad news situation. Good news, her father wasn't an abusive monster that made his wife flee in terror, even if I REALLY side eyeing him making up the whole suicide story. Bad news, her mom kind of really sucks. The amount of excuses that lady made in about ten minutes has to be some kind of new record, and I get that it sucks that she was assumed to leave the job she loved to be a mom full time because she's a woman and that she felt stuck and miserable and possibly had some mental health issues, but her ditching her daughter and never looking back still really sucks. Especially because, like Andy said, she never said that she was sorry about it or even really acknowledged how much how being gone messed Andy up, she just kept blaming society and her possible mental illness and Andy herself for existing and her husband and everyone and everything. Couldn't Andy's parents have just gotten a divorce and let her dad have custody and her mom can show up once a month to take her to Disneyland to make awkward small talk like normal people?! Why all the subterfuge? Why flee the state? Why hide the aunts letters if the aunt apparently knew about this whole mess? I really don't know what is more traumatic to a kid, telling her that her mom left her because she never wanted her or to tell her that her mom killed herself, neither are great, but at least one is the truth and she could at least still maybe have a relationship with her moms side of the family, as her aunt seemed like she wanted to have one. And as much as Andy's mom says she feels ashamed for leaving Andy, it seems like if Andy hadn't found the letters and reached out, she never would have gotten in touch with her ever, and if so many of her issues were about how she didn't want to be a mom to a kid and raise her, she could have presumably gotten in touch with her when Andy was an adult and didn't need a mom to be a parent anymore. Really, Pruitt should have told Andy the truth, maybe when she got older or at least when he realized that he was dying, I think that she really needs to know that. I would even say letting her think her mom killed herself might be even worse than knowing she was just a bad mom in New York. But that is in character for Pruitt, he always did hold things back from Andy or interfered with her life when he thought that he knew what was best for her, even as a fully grown woman.

Damn, is there anyone around here who's parents aren't abusive, absent, insanely judgmental, neglectful, cruel, hiding dark secrets, or dead? Now Travis finds out that his dad is a self hating gay guy who is cheating on his mom, so...that's a whole thing now I guess. 

I don't remember much about the mom who Jack seems to have a bit of a thing with personality wise, but she seems nice and that she actually likes Jack as a person and not  just a fuck buddy, so that certainly puts her above the normal women he dates who always end up treating him like shit when they're done banging him. Hopefully this goes alright at least for a bit and he avoids falling into the trap of being with women who are inevitably going to treat him badly and he leaves this woman for Andy or something. 

The COVID stuff was inevitable, but it was mostly handled alright. Pruitts funeral being held online was a nice moment. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

Pruitt didn't tell Andy that her mom committed suicide. Andy had assumed that after realising letters were hidden and that her father danced around the subject. As she was growing up, he always told her that her mother had gotten sick.

Andy's brain didn't jump to suicide until after she found the letters when she was moving in with Robert.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Damn, is there anyone around here who's parents aren't abusive, absent, insanely judgmental, neglectful, cruel, hiding dark secrets, or dead? Now Travis finds out that his dad is a self hating gay guy who is cheating on his mom, so...that's a whole thing now I guess. 

No kidding and just cliche. I mean, everyone on this show has a parent that just did crappy things. Wheather they were self hating because they secretly hated themselves, felt they had "protect" their child, died a horrible death, not have them be their mini me puppet or our favorite "I have to work at my restaurant even if a tornado is about to destroy it, can't stop working because of you know... reasons!"

• Love 3
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

The amount of excuses that lady made in about ten minutes has to be some kind of new record, and I get that it sucks that she was assumed to leave the job she loved to be a mom full time because she's a woman and that she felt stuck and miserable and possibly had some mental health issues, but her ditching her daughter and never looking back still really sucks. Especially because, like Andy said, she never said that she was sorry about it or even really acknowledged how much how being gone messed Andy up, she just kept blaming society and her possible mental illness and Andy herself for existing and her husband and everyone and everything. Couldn't Andy's parents have just gotten a divorce and let her dad have custody and her mom can show up once a month to take her to Disneyland to make awkward small talk like normal people?! Why all the subterfuge? Why flee the state?

It is odd, as well as all the talk about how mental illness wasn't talked about "back then." Andy seems like she is 30ish. So we are talking about the nineties, not the fifties. Mental illness wasn't talked about as much as it is now (which still isn't that much), but it was acknowledged as a thing and people did go to therapy. 

Also, strange. Andy not having any idea what was happening when she got her period. A 12-year-old in the nineties would likely have heard about it in health class at school or on TV or something. Maybe not all the details, but she should have known what was happening.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

It is odd, as well as all the talk about how mental illness wasn't talked about "back then." Andy seems like she is 30ish. So we are talking about the nineties, not the fifties. Mental illness wasn't talked about as much as it is now (which still isn't that much), but it was acknowledged as a thing and people did go to therapy. 

Exactly! The backstory makes more sense if it all took place in the 50s or something where women always stayed at home with the kids and divorce was really rare and were hard to get and mental illness was never discussed, but this all took place in the mid to late 90s! Granted, I was a kid in the 90s (I am about Andy's age) so maybe I don't remember how everything was when it came to issues of gender, marriage, and mental health, but people definitely did get divorced pretty frequently, women did work outside of the home, and while there was certainly a stigma around mental illness (as there still is) but they were hardly still handing out free lobotomies at the local clinic by 1998. I guess they were part of a more conservative culture or family and a male dominated field like firefighting was probably tougher for women, but the backstory is just so weird. Why did all of this need to be so dramatic? Did other people, like friends and neighbors, all just go with the "she just died" story, or did some of them know the truth but never told Andy? Its just such a weird backstory and situation, and I do not really know what the point of it is. Just more Andy angst? 

I am actually asking I don't honestly remember everything about this weird ass backstory, and I don't really want to re-watch a bunch of last season. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Its just such a weird backstory and situation, and I do not really know what the point of it is. Just more Andy angst? 

I am actually asking I don't honestly remember everything about this weird ass backstory, and I don't really want to re-watch a bunch of last season. 

The backstory was always just that her mom died, and that was that. For some reason I thought it was cancer. I'm assuming that most people also thought she died. Didn't we get flashbacks to a funeral and Ryan being able to comfort Andy back then? But either way, they clearly just came up with this idea recently and now have to explain how it is possible, while still working with what they have shown.

I guess the point is Andy angst, which they love for some reason. And they have given her just about every other type of angst.

• Love 1
On 11/13/2020 at 9:57 PM, KaveDweller said:

The backstory was always just that her mom died, and that was that. For some reason I thought it was cancer. I'm assuming that most people also thought she died. Didn't we get flashbacks to a funeral and Ryan being able to comfort Andy back then? But either way, they clearly just came up with this idea recently and now have to explain how it is possible, while still working with what they have shown.

I guess the point is Andy angst, which they love for some reason. And they have given her just about every other type of angst.

You know they are about to rip open the angst with Vic next. They have been building her workaholic parents up since last season. The writers just LOVE to give angst to the characters with their family backgrounds. They built Bishop's up and then ripped it all open by the end of last season. Dean got double dose with his parents, especially his mother and him not being a single father out of wedlock. Jack got slammed and now Travis gets the bomb dropped on him about his father being a self shaming closeted gay man himself. Something tells me Vic's is going to go down like this: find out that Vic's grandfather either died young or ran out and Vic's father seeing how much his mother struggled to keep a roof over the head made him believe he ALWAYS had to work. Then felt a bit of guilt and then when his mother came to live with them. Just saw is as an excuse to just keep working to avoid facing that his mother was losing her mind. I'm also pretty sure they will throw in how the 2008 recession almost killed the place and he is: "I can't lose the restaurant, because I will have nothing left!" Then have Vic go: "What about me?"

Hell, you know there is angst coming down for Sully soon, we don't know anything about his family's background.

I can't see myself ever sympathizing with Andy's mother because she had twenty years to come back and she didn't. And she decided to play the victim when she's not. She left and told Pruitt to tell Andy that she was dead. She may have a mental illness but that doesn't ever excuse her behaviour. Andy's aunt is also not off the hook for me because she hid this as well from Andy. I wish this was it for Andy's mother and we never see her again, but I'd be naïve to believe that. This show will get Andy to forgive her mother when she shouldn't. What an awful woman.

On 11/15/2020 at 12:40 PM, readster said:

Hell, you know there is angst coming down for Sully soon, we don't know anything about his family's background.

I can't imagine what else we'd have for Sullivan's background since we already have dead Nazi grandfather and DEAD PARENTS FROM A PLANE CRASH. But maybe a long lost sibling who comes to live with Sullivan and Andy once they reconcile.

Travis' dad is closeted. Of course he is. This show just won't leave well enough alone with cliche TV tropes. But at least we're getting more Travis and Vic scenes. I wonder if they are dropping the Dean and Vic romance stuff. I hope so.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Travis' dad is closeted. Of course he is. This show just won't leave well enough alone with cliche TV tropes. But at least we're getting more Travis and Vic scenes. I wonder if they are dropping the Dean and Vic romance stuff. I hope so.

Yep, but let's face it, they are about to hit Vic's workaholic parents out in full force. 

• Love 1

I knew it wouldn't happen but I was hoping that tiger would eat Vic.  Really.  She's all butt hurt because Dean "kicked her out"?  Did she expect to just crash there forever as his "friend" and expect him to never have a relationship with someone else?  Or if she did consider that he'd meet someone else, they'd all live together in his place like one big happy family?  If she's romantically interested in him she should let him know, and he should do the same with her.  I'm tired of them.   Plus, she has never explained why she couldn't just get her own damn place.  

Edited by Crashcourse
Oops, I meant Dean
  • Love 4

Andy's family didn't see her again after that incident but they attended most of her milestone events in "secret" all those years? Her cousin tells her a few times: she saw her mother is alive. This should have been in Andy's mind as she grew and she never thought to seek out her cousin to find the truth (they all lived in the same town)?! I find these hard to process! Did Pruitt brainwash Andy? 

The moment Travis heard "350 pounds" he made the correct decision to grab the steering wheel and hit the gas. I would have been blocks away as soon as I heard "Bengal Tiger". F*ck that! I am nobody's meal.

Were all of animal control and the police force off duty or in another town/state the entire time?!

When the tiger entered the fire house, I burst out in laughter. It's not like Vic was far away from the door. Maya and Jack could have grabbed her quickly and shut the door before the tiger took one step.

That close up image of a younger Pruitt at the fire house was terrible.

How long do we have to wait for Travis to confront his father?

Now that Carina can be with Maya, how fast will they get tired of being around one another?

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Were all of animal control and the police force off duty or in another town/state the entire time?!

When the tiger entered the fire house, I burst out in laughter. It's not like Vic was far away from the door. Maya and Jack could have grabbed her quickly and shut the door before the tiger took one step.

I also like how the tiger magically got into the firehouse of all places and then Bishop was: "She must have come in before we locked down." Yeah, no one noticed an 8ft long tiger just walking around the station going: "mmm.... I smell raw steak." "Wonder what's going on here?"

How long do we have to wait for Travis to confront his father?

Probably as soon as Vic finally asks her parents: "Why the fuck did you work all the time and ignore grandma?"

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

I knew it wouldn't happen but I was hoping that tiger would eat Vic.  Really.  She's all butt hurt because Travis "kicked her out"?  Did she expect to just crash there forever as his "friend" and expect him to never have a relationship with someone else?  Or if she did consider that he'd meet someone else, they'd all live together in his place like one big happy family?  If she's romantically interested in him she should let him know, and he should do the same with her.  I'm tired of them.   Plus, she has never explained why she couldn't just get her own damn place.  

I kind of see Vic's point here. She offered to move in with Dean and help him with his baby. She was taking turns getting up in the middle of the night to feed the kid. I doubt she expected to stay forever, but I think she expected it to be a bit more long term than a few months. And he IS lying about the reason he made her leave.

But she was being rather obnoxious about it.

37 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Andy's family didn't see her again after that incident but they attended most of her milestone events in "secret" all those years? Her cousin tells her a few times: she saw her mother is alive. This should have been in Andy's mind as she grew and she never thought to seek out her cousin to find the truth (they all lived in the same town)?! I find these hard to process! Did Pruitt brainwash Andy? 

It sounds like Andy was basically brainwashed. She said she practically forgot about her cousin until she found the old letters/cards in her dad's things. She didn't look that young in the flashback, she should have had some memory but she seemed to have blocked it out. 

I am surprised the family didn't reach out to her once Andy was 18, but I guess she was still living with Pruitt then so they didn't bother. But really....no one even tried connecting on Facebook or something? 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

It sounds like Andy was basically brainwashed. She said she practically forgot about her cousin until she found the old letters/cards in her dad's things. She didn't look that young in the flashback, she should have had some memory but she seemed to have blocked it out. 

I am surprised the family didn't reach out to her once Andy was 18, but I guess she was still living with Pruitt then so they didn't bother. But really....no one even tried connecting on Facebook or something? 

Pruit was removing her door when she was in her early 20s having sex with Ryan. Because, I mean what would some post college person even think of having sex with her boyfriend?🥴  The more it goes, Pruit just comes off as an enabler to his ex-wife's behavior and so does the aunt. This entire "protect Andy because this will devastate her life." Just comes across as really stupid on the rest of the family. Of course also, Andy's cousin would turn out gay because we don't have enough "diverse" people on the show. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I kind of see Vic's point here. She offered to move in with Dean and help him with his baby. She was taking turns getting up in the middle of the night to feed the kid. I doubt she expected to stay forever, but I think she expected it to be a bit more long term than a few months. And he IS lying about the reason he made her leave.

But she made the offer because she was "homeless" and I still don't understand why she was in that situation in the first place.  Why can't she find her own place to live?  Sure, she took care of his kid but she was living rent free for her services.  I do think she expected to stay forever.  I just wish they'd come clean about their feelings for each other and it'll probably happen soon.  I expect to see the pawing and dry humping in the fire station because, you know, that's what these people do.

• Love 3

This whole situation with Andy's missing mom and the conspiracy to keep her thinking she was dead is so bizarre, I just don't get it. Andy's mom is horrible and I hope that Andy doesn't end up forgiving her and invite her into her life again now that she is hanging out with her extended family again, but I don't think anyone comes off great here. Its really weird that her family never got in touch even after she was an adult, but basically stalked her from afar (did Pruitt know they were there?) and Pruit telling Andy that her mom was dead and making their family keep up this charade until he kept them from her entirely is just such a crappy way to handle this, especially as Andy really missed her family. Until she blocked them out or something? Also, I don't remember if it was fully made clear last week, but it seems like her mom definitely knew that Andy thought she was dead, and I guess was alright with that. Seriously, why does this have to be so dramatic? Just get a divorce and tell Andy the truth, it would probably be less traumatic, and she would at least still get to see her extended family. 

I was with Travis on judging Tiger Queen, that tiger is much better off not being chained up in some woman's backyard. Of course Travis was mostly just focused on his personal drama, because that's all anyone here really thinks or talks about. Of course his dad is closeted, because there will be no cliché left behind. 

What a coincidence, the tiger just happened to arrive right in the firehouse! Must have smelled the scent of needless melodrama. I think that Vic and Travis both made decent points, that Vic was blindsided by being asked to move out after she spent so much time with Pru, and that Travis never told Vic that she could live there forever and that it was never the plan, but they were so petty and ridiculous about it that I cant really root for either of them. 

So now Maya and Carina are living together, which I highly doubt will make me more interested in them as a couple or be less annoyed at all of these Greys characters being forced on us, but will maybe at least put Maya in a better mood. Well, as good of a mood as Maya can be in. 

• Love 3

When Dean tossed those steaks to distract the tiger, I wished the tiger had said, "Steak! I want chicken! I'm really a pollotarian!"

And it's sitcom logic when someone yells don't move or don't go into the room and then instead of stop and ask why they just keep on walking into the room with the tiger.

Edited by redfish
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

What a coincidence, the tiger just happened to arrive right in the firehouse! Must have smelled the scent of needless melodrama. I think that Vic and Travis both made decent points, that Vic was blindsided by being asked to move out after she spent so much time with Pru, and that Travis never told Vic that she could live there forever and that it was never the plan, but they were so petty and ridiculous about it that I cant really root for either of them. 

Then Dean drops that his sister recently move din since her law firm suffered under COVID (happened to a friend of mine too). So she can't move back in. However, still they handled it so stupid and still, why was Vic having such a problem getting a place? If she said: "I can't cover my half and my old place went after Ripley died." Then ok, all makes sense, other wise really? Huh? What? Just like the "secret" that Andy could NEVER KNOW what really happened to her mother. So, everything had to be kept quiet and forgotten. Then his excuse: "I just wanted to do what was best for her." It was the mid 1990s not 1950. As for Travis, yes he should be pissed, but how about you go face your damn father and then do a nice little intervention and then go with Vic and do the same with her parents with: "Why were you so ashamed of us?"

• Love 4

I'm gonna dump on Vic again:  I remember last season she crashed at Jackson's place without him knowing she was there.  Who does that?  Why is she homeless?  She has a job.  I don't know what the average firefighter salary is in Seattle, but surely she could afford to rent a place somewhere.  

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I'm gonna dump on Vic again:  I remember last season she crashed at Jackson's place without him knowing she was there.  Who does that?  Why is she homeless?  She has a job.  I don't know what the average firefighter salary is in Seattle, but surely she could afford to rent a place somewhere.  

She also has been a career firefighter too close to seven years now, even with the show's timeline. She should be making around $50K-$60K, and now granted apartments in Seattle can range from $1,200-$2K a month according to my wife's friend, who is a doctor in Seattle. She has said it's cheaper owning a house in Washington State or getting a townhouse for as little as $1200 a month in a good area. Vic was also living by herself before she started dating Ripley. She lost the apartment because she was so "depressed" after he died she didn't renew her lease. Though, not shocking she did, but really she started dating Jackson, moved in with no warning, and then she basically just dropped on Dean because he was tired and stressed from having Pru in his life. However, I mean he just kicked her out instead of: "Vic, you can't just play house here anymore. This is odd, my whole life is odd and I know yours isn't easy either right now, but you need to find somewhere else to live." Instead it was: "I can't fight these feelings, get out of my house and go deal with your more fucked up parents than mine!"

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Another Vic dump (lol):  Then when she's dating Jackson and he invites her to dinner to meet his family, she shows up with Dean without letting Jackson know.  Dean looked uncomfortable, knowing he hadn't been invited.

Oh that made no sense what's so ever. How about when she just watched her theater director rush on stage to go save the piano and just watched as he caught fire and died. Instead of: "What the hell are you doing? It's a piano!" Or how about: "Oh mom and dad, yes, my life sucks, grandma is so screwed up in the mind she has reduced to being a 3 year old, but sure go to work!" Then have her complain about her parents to everyone even when Ripley was still alive, but face them and be like: "What the fuck? Do you owe the mob money or something, people don't go to a small 10 seated restaurant at 11 pm at night unless they are high!"

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

She's my least favorite character and I'm sick and tired of her "poor little homeless me" attitude.  I'm sorry Ripley died, but other than that I have zero sympathy for her.

Yes, kill Ripley was honestly the worst thing they could have done with Vic. Then giving us her life growing up and the fact she keeps going on about how her parents can't stop working no matter what. Now feel they might as well be dead than have their place closed and be stuck at home when they are in the At Risk age. The show goes too far at times trying to say: "their families just suck, but don't you want to root for them?" No, if anything it just makes them look like stupid, selfish "If I say anything, it will make things worst." In Vic's case, I mean the entire homelessness make no sense. From what we got in flashbacks, even the grandmother has no idea why Vic's father (her son) just works and works until the sun rises and sets the next day. That Vic's mom is the same attitude: "Yeah, my loving and nuturing mother-in-law is losing her mind and I'm basically neglecting my daughter, but oh we need to get at least $20 more today or we will go belly up." How they haven't gone out of business at this point in time makes no sense. I know many business owners (apparently the writers don't). If from what we have learned since Season 1 that Vic's parents have to ALWAYS, always have the place open and almost NEVER at home and basically have been living in a rent controlled apartment for the past 30 years. Then their business is not only a flop, no way would they be able to keep it open without going into bankruptcy or having the bank foreclose on it. The way Vic has told us, which has been constant with the character, they have had to "fight to keep it always open since I was little." 

I know this is Shondaland, but if they are going have us apparently meet her parents in an episode or 2 and just have Vic's father go: "I grew up penniless and poor, I had to keep my place going." It's not only going to be stupid but it's going to be the cliche: "Your mother worked and raised you with love and never ONCE questioned your living and raised your daughter, but fuck that! Business!" 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Episode was weird!

Are we supposed to feel bad for their meal situation??

Has the show explained what ever happened to the Inara's husband she ran away from? Did he file a missing persons report! Jack is falling for her and he doesn't know if she might have some feelings for him.

I just knew the writers backed themselves in a corner with Sullivan last season. (When this season started) I thought he was already fired and now working in the private sector!? Why does he need a "disciplinary hearing"!? What more needs to be done with him if he moved on to a new job?! So they come up with this BS hearing/speech from the team, then have him re-hired but the people in charge didn't give a $hit to assign to a house, demote him to a low position/pay and the last place he should be in is Station 19 but he's back there. Lame! He accepts and was probably making big money working for the private company.

Sullivan tells Maya no histrionics yet she and the others made a spectacular/grand entrance at the end. That's the last time your order is disobeyed grunt.

Thanks Dr. Webber for showing up and not making an effective plea. You should have barged in like the others to get the commission's attention.

Great! Seattle PD re-hired Dixon (who just lost all his credibility)??!! The show just needs that one guy to be around and cause trouble. He started with the police, then went to fire and now back with the police (it's 2020 and makes perfect sense).

The writers having Dixon bring up Emmett being gay was forced and stupid. Per Warren: Now the system failed Sullivan! Yeah Right! Sullivan takes no blame for his actions! Good grief!

The fire department couldn't get in building? They have no master key or was the building manager was out to lunch or the person who called 911 fell asleep?!

Going on the loud speaker to warn people in an apartment building instead of stepping inside and knocking door to door makes perfect sense Jack. Obviously no one heard him or took him seriously.

Good to see the smoke alarms not working until the very last moment.

Maya or whoever is in charge should be the one disciplined for not properly evacuating the building or letting people back in.

Vic: He made "a" mistake. Maya: He made "some" mistakes. Ladies please get your story right!

10 seconds after Carina moves in, Maya is already not at ease. She didn't waste any time. Now Andy is going to move in with them (what trouble can possibly happen with this threesome?)

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Great! Seattle PD re-hired Dixon (who just lost all his credibility)??!! The show just needs that one guy to be around and cause trouble. He started with the police, then went to fire and now back with the police (it's 2020 and makes perfect sense).

The writers having Dixon bring up Emmett being gay was forced and stupid. Per Warren: Now the system failed Sullivan! Yeah Right! Sullivan takes no blame for his actions! Good grief!

You also have to love some of the "oh shit" looks people at the hearing were giving when Dixon made his announcement about his new position. Basically the: "He knows where the bodies are buried, we can't get rid of this guy, bad for us, even if this about Sullivan." Because God forbid Station 19 not have someone NOT against them. They had the battalion chief against them in season 1. Then they had various city council members being morons. Then along came Dixon and because he as so "popular" the writers just brought him back. That the fact the show he was going to leave for never got picked up. Thanks again COVID. 

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, readster said:

You also have to love some of the "oh shit" looks people at the hearing were giving when Dixon made his announcement about his new position.

I also loved the one guy with the "Thank you for your tireless service to this city. Mr. Dixon". What rock has this guy been living under? Or maybe he has speeding/parking tickets that needs to be fixed.

If Dixon was credible with him, wouldn't his "Sullivan using Emmet's homosexuality to keep him quiet" theory be a big red flag to keep Sullivan from being re-hired? Nope! Show couldn't bother go further with this.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

I also loved the one guy with the "Thank you for your tireless service to this city. Mr. Dixon". What rock has this guy been living under? Or maybe he has speeding/parking tickets that needs to be fixed.

If Dixon was credible with him, wouldn't his "Sullivan using Emmet's homosexuality to keep him quiet" theory be a big red flag to keep Sullivan from being re-hired? Nope! Show couldn't bother go further with this.

Exactly and that line made me go: "Oh, were you the mayor's brother who killed that family of 5 or something?" Hell, when Dixon was going into how Pruitt died you wanted to go: "That's right, spin the fact you lost another person who knew your dirty little secrets." What are we going to see next? Them trading money at " 6 ft away" and get caught again? His position also doesn't make sense. If anything he would have been turned into a district manager. Basically, keep him in one spot, he gets paid, he doesn't bother anyone and everyone else keeps the secrets he has. Oh no, they basically put him up as: "Oh, so you have a good chance if there is a major disaster to tell Station 19 to let people die and no one will bat an eye." 
 We've move into Super Villain territory on Station 19. 

• Love 3

Why was everyone getting their armchair therapist on this week? "Its obvious that you see this family as surrogates for the family that you lost because your an orphan with foster care baggage." "I cant be honest with you because my family was never honest and you hate breakfast because you never felt safe at breakfast growing up." Do these people just enjoy sitting around and analyzing why all of their friends have issues and then giving their diagnosis to them at random? 

Warren shouldn't be too upset about this dream not working out, I am sure he will have another dream or career change in an episode or two. He had this dream for, like, a month? Just wait for the next midlife crisis. 

Ugh, Dixon is back? Really? Does this show really need a bad guy, especially one who is such a one dimensional mustache twirling villain? Cant the fires be the villains? They hired him back even after they realized what he was up to and how not only corrupt but incompetent he was? And the whole deposition was ridiculous, the Chief was the only one who made any real case. Dixon was telling extremely obvious lies, Warren just started going on about the opium epidemic, and the squad just did some dramatics about how great Sulliavn is, and in the end he just became a normal firefighter? Its even weirder given Dixon's testimony, that they either have to admit that Dixon is probably lying about all of this to cover himself, or that Sullivan blackmailed Dixon's son to hide his drug habit over his sexuality, so them keeping both of them means that they are keeping at least one person around who is clearly not on the up and up. 

It really is sad that Travis apparently has no friends in the LGBTQ community, I know that being a firefighter is a tough, time consuming job, but you would think he could at least have a little time to meet people outside of work. 

No Andy momma drama this week, she had to take time for drama with Sullivan instead, which is at least less soap opera than her long lost mom. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Ugh, Dixon is back? Really? Does this show really need a bad guy, especially one who is such a one dimensional mustache twirling villain? Cant the fires be the villains? They hired him back even after they realized what he was up to and how not only corrupt but incompetent he was? And the whole deposition was ridiculous, the Chief was the only one who made any real case. Dixon was telling extremely obvious lies, Warren just started going on about the opium epidemic, and the squad just did some dramatics about how great Sulliavn is, and in the end he just became a normal firefighter? Its even weirder given Dixon's testimony, that they either have to admit that Dixon is probably lying about all of this to cover himself, or that Sullivan blackmailed Dixon's son to hide his drug habit over his sexuality, so them keeping both of them means that they are keeping at least one person around who is clearly not on the up and up. 

What I was saying and how the city council guy was: "Thank you for your service!" WTF? It was pretty much revealed he lied and did some under handed stuff. Even Dixon said: "Claims were sent, charges was dropped, but I had to resign from my position." Which translate to: "Yeah, I did some illegal shit, but I know where the bodies are buried." Then his talk about Sullivan black mailing Travis, was also major crap. In fact, when Travis revealed that they hadn't spoke and pretty much NO ONE KNEW about Dixon becoming a District Manager even rang bigger. Fire Department and Police Department communicate to make sure people know when there is a change in Chain of Command so Station Captains and chiefs can coordinate not to mention, MEET THEM. Hell, the committee could have brought back out Travis and asked him: "Did Sullivan black mail you at anytime as you said: "Keep it in the family?". But nah... just let it go, Dixon was SO OUT STANDING? Bullshit!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

This show is insane! I'm in disbelief how they made that baby come out and Maya in the right spot to catch her.

I don't think Miller has ever brought up race in any episode. Now all of a sudden he's high and mighty with Sullivan and Warren?!! There was no build up to this or hint he was pissed.

How did Travis' nose get bloodied/bruise from that "soft" toss? That's some serious pregnant strength.

The fine people of 19 don't need the police until the the very last moment. They can manage having the mother and father go crazy and batter/bruise 3 firefighters!

They are finding creative ways to keep young Dixon around. Next week, someone will bump into him while he's working at Chipotle.

And the show remembered to update how Dixon's fiancé handled the news. 

It's about time Travis confronted his father. The way this episode was going, I thought it would be another week of him complaining.

The show actually resisted having a scene of Sullivan and Andy bang in the firehouse. It's a first for everything!

Soon Vic will have new place to move in to. And he just happens to be from Station 23 (how convenient).

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I didn't think this was too bad actually. I mean this is never going to be a Paragon of great drama that it wasn't bad.

I do appreciate Maya recognising her personality traits that are less than desirable and wanting to do better.

My God, Andy and Sullivan did not end up hooking up. As someone said above, that's a first for the show.

I am an absolute sucker for Jack and the family he has apparently found. I really, really want to workout for them.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I didn't think this was too bad actually. I mean this is never going to be a Paragon of great drama that it wasn't bad.

I do appreciate Maya recognising her personality traits that are less than desirable and wanting to do better.

My God, Andy and Sullivan did not end up hooking up. As someone said above, that's a first for the show.

I am an absolute sucker for Jack and the family he has apparently found. I really, really want to workout for them.

I have to say Jack's whole situation was probably the best from beginning to end. Even the points raised about COVID and also the fact that even during a pandemic. Abuse and trauma don't automatically stop. Same with Maya realizing she has tried not to be her father and how much the trauma carries with her. However, also showing how her dad was honestly careful where he acted out on people and it was more mental abuse than physical. 

Do not know what the hell race angle came from with Dean. Him treating Sullivan bad because of how he treated him, that made sense. Even got how he brought up he basically was a hypocrite, but race? Race? Huh? 

So, Travis confronted his father, about time, so when the HELL are we going to have Vic confront her's?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, readster said:

I have to say Jack's whole situation was probably the best from beginning to end. Even the points raised about COVID and also the fact that even during a pandemic. Abuse and trauma don't automatically stop. Same with Maya realizing she has tried not to be her father and how much the trauma carries with her. However, also showing how her dad was honestly careful where he acted out on people and it was more mental abuse than physical. 

Do not know what the hell race angle came from with Dean. Him treating Sullivan bad because of how he treated him, that made sense. Even got how he brought up he basically was a hypocrite, but race? Race? Huh? 

So, Travis confronted his father, about time, so when the HELL are we going to have Vic confront her's?

It's hits differently when a person a color (while being a person color) rises to a top position and fucks it up. It's hard enough for anyone to rise up but once you throw race and gender into it, it's a whole other can of worms. So, to see someone like Sullivan throw it away (disease or not) will piss people off. I've literally seen it at my job where people have gotten pissed for that very reason. Or stepping on the neck of people that look like you when they reach the top.

Miller shouldn't have went that hard but I know where it was coming from. People shouldn't have to take the weight of a whole race on them when they succeed either but it happens.

• Love 6