Type keyword(s) to search

All In With Chris Hayes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Oh, the Carter Page interview is verrrry interesting. He is being such a weasel (I thought his comment that he is holding back info for the book he'll write "for my legal fees" was very revealing). 

That was a bizarre interview. I never met the man. Well, we might have been in the same city at the same time. And in the same room. But I never shook hands with him. 

Why did he go on the show?  Chris was not going to just sit there and say nothing. People never learn. 

(edited)

I love hearing about more and more 'secret' meetings that 45's administration had with russians before the inaugeration and some even before the election.  keep collecting the info and hopefully it will eventually be too much for even republicans to ignore.

I have to agree that all this partitioning of these people's meetings, the whole, "I didn't meet/speak with so and so about this topic" in response to the general question of "did you meet/speak with them" so clearly suggests that they did meet/speak with them on a variety of other potential topics that they shouldn't have.  This caginess of trying to carve out the slivers of what or was not discussed instead of just admitting, "yes, we met and talked about many things" just screams that they are trying to hide something.

I love the super secret healthcare bill bit.

Edited by Hanahope
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

He is being such a weasel

From your typing fingers to Malcolm Nance's lips! Srsly, when MN calls you a weasel, you really can't come back from that. 

• Love 3

That guy from Trump's campaign was a real jackass.  So, Trump killed three people yesterday....why must you focus on the bad stuff Chris?  He declared war on Canada?  Chris, always  with the negative.  He tweeted that President Obama broke the law.  Why must you quote directly from his tweets?

So, if I understand it correctly from what he said, he is selling off his business so he could go work in the Administration.  Wouldn't it be ironic if by the time he does, there is no more Trump Administration.

• Love 8

M. Darcy, the new floater in the pool is Anthony Scaramucci. I almost had to mute my tv from all the spin he was stating.  I too found him to be an ass and cut from the same cloth as the other surrogates.  so frustrating - its the smuggness that gets me.  Its that "I know you are lying your souless ass off and you know you are lying and deflecting but we are going to pretend"  stand they all take. Answer a freakin question!

My frustration is now moving to the interviewers.  When are they going to grow some balls and not let them get away with not answering the questions.  Even simple yes or no questions.  I am waiting for someone to have the courage to call them out and say something along the lines of "I'm sorry but you are not answering the questions.  We can't move on until you answer the question straight forward and clearly or tell us why you will not answer the question, now back to my original questions..."

• Love 4
4 hours ago, NYCNJbear06 said:

M. Darcy, the new floater in the pool is Anthony Scaramucci. I almost had to mute my tv from all the spin he was stating.  I too found him to be an ass and cut from the same cloth as the other surrogates.  so frustrating - its the smuggness that gets me.  Its that "I know you are lying your souless ass off and you know you are lying and deflecting but we are going to pretend"  stand they all take. Answer a freakin question!

My frustration is now moving to the interviewers.  When are they going to grow some balls and not let them get away with not answering the questions.  Even simple yes or no questions.  I am waiting for someone to have the courage to call them out and say something along the lines of "I'm sorry but you are not answering the questions.  We can't move on until you answer the question straight forward and clearly or tell us why you will not answer the question, now back to my original questions..."

I recorded All In and had to FF in the middle of this interview in order to avoid nausea.  And yes, agree 100% that it was the smirky smuggy arrogance that infuriated me.  

I think Chris is an ok interviewer in that he chooses the right questions, but he's let himself be steamrollered more than once, especially by the more obnoxious surrogates like Boris and AJ.  I don't know if it's the baby face but he just doesn't seem to faze his interviewees.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

I don't know if it's the baby face but he just doesn't seem to faze his interviewees

If his interviewees share the mindset of far right keyboard monkeys on sites such as Media-ite, then chalk it up to the Real Men of the Right calling CH a sissy boy. Maybe if he choked down a big old brontosaurus burger and belched and screamed "WOMAN! Get me Totinos! I'm a hungry guy!" ?

Gotta grab those pizza rolls by the you know what to prove manhood these days.

Anyway.

I caught some of his show last night and he said something that stuck with me. He said that Pres.45 throws out some wild belief and then the media backfills the story. It's a distraction technique aimed to discredit and control the media by essentially making them prove or disprove a scoop they never reported on. I'm sure this theory has been posited before, but it was very clear to me the way CH explained it last night and I was hoping he'd go into more detail about ideas for battling that shift in power, but he was interviewing, so he didn't. Sissy boy. Drink macro beer and eat red meat and watch football. *grunt*

• Love 3
1 hour ago, potatoradio said:

If his interviewees share the mindset of far right keyboard monkeys on sites such as Media-ite, then chalk it up to the Real Men of the Right calling CH a sissy boy. Maybe if he choked down a big old brontosaurus burger and belched and screamed "WOMAN! Get me Totinos! I'm a hungry guy!" ?

Unfortunately, I think that's how they actually see the world.  How else to explain Alex Jones?

• Love 1

Chris is doing a stellar job with this Buddy Carter over the new Health Care bill.    "So how is giving the CEO's of Health care companies a tax break helping to make for patient centered care?"

• Love 4
16 hours ago, car54 said:

Chris is doing a stellar job with this Buddy Carter over the new Health Care bill.    "So how is giving the CEO's of Health care companies a tax break helping to make for patient centered care?"

But he still never got an answer.  Chris stopped pushing the question after a couple of tries, which people like Carter expect will happen.  That's why they dodge the question and then pivot back to their talking points.  Its very frustrating.  Chris also didn't push very hard on Carter's continued claim that "Obamacare was blowing up" so they had to rush out some crap asap.  Also, not real push back on the issue that the Rep plan will raise premiums at least as much as Obamacare, with even less subsidy/vouchers for low income people to pay for it.

trump won't file his taxes on April 15.  He'll get an extension and file them in October.  Delay, delay, delay.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, jenrising said:

Did Chris negotiate book plugs into his contract or something? I can't remember another host flogging their work so frequently. 

I don't know, but IMO, it's unprofessional as hell.

3 hours ago, jenrising said:

Did Chris negotiate book plugs into his contract or something? I can't remember another host flogging their work so frequently. 

I think all of the ones who have books do it.  Joy Reid and EJ Dionne have one out right now.  Rachel had one out in 2012.  And Chris Matthews is always writing and/or hawking a book on one of the Kennedys.  

Yeah, Chris Matthews still occasionally flogs books more than two years old.

And, always works them into every sentence he says.

So, you go on Chris's show to talk about ACA, and have no idea how many people in your district that affects.  Good job Republican Reps!

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 1

^^^ No it wasn't.

I appreciate that Chris continues to have on guests that have the opposite point of view as him (and his audience) and if they are willing to discuss an issue without going off on some rant, it's watchable.

I'm looking forward to his town hall event with Bernie Sanders in West Virginia next week.

OMG Thing 1/Thing 2 was a hoot tonight!  I'm honestly surprised it doesn't happen more often.

CH did a terrific job in his open chronicling the nonstop prevarications coming from the WH.  

The 9 million pill story should have been picked up by 60 Minutes.  How did they know the pharmacy received 9 million opiates?   I have a friend who has a chronic, crippling condition that causes her severe pain, and she was finally put on Oxy but it isn't enough and I worry about her.  As a nurse, I'm torn between making sure narcotics are not inappropriately prescribed or taken, and making sure people with legitimate pain needs get their pain managed.  

• Love 2
On 3/10/2017 at 10:03 PM, meowmommy said:

The 9 million pill story should have been picked up by 60 Minutes.  How did they know the pharmacy received 9 million opiates?

The pharmacy keeps the records.  Why am I totally not surprised that so much of this opiate pushing was by the pharmaceutical companies, no doubt looking to pad their wallets even more.  The pharmaceutical companies have no incentive to invest in other medical treatments, so unless universities, hospitals or others are willing to do so, medication may be the only thing that helps some people.  Add to that, health insurance companies  don't want to pay for more expensive treatments (for example, joint replacement) until there is absolutely no choice.

1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

The pharmacy keeps the records.  

Add to that, health insurance companies  don't want to pay for more expensive treatments (for example, joint replacement) until there is absolutely no choice.

No, I get that part.  I don't know how the producers latched on to this pharmacy and found out there were 9 million pills dispensed.

I used to be an insurance case manager and my philosophy was to help our members in the community get as much care as they needed, because in the end that would be cheaper than having them be admitted to the hospital.  I wish I could say that a lot of my colleagues shared my perspective, but they didn't.  And then I was a hospital case manager and the goal was to get people out as fast as possible, regardless of whether they're actually ready to go.  People think that if you keep patients longer in order to provide more treatment, you get paid more, but that's the exact opposite of what happens.

Anyway, just by way of saying it seemed like an odd piece to do on All In, rather than a show like 60 Minutes.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Sigh. Another show with Bernie tonight.  Which means I won't be watching. 

I'm three quarters of the way through and there's been very little Bernie, and lots of other really good info from Chris and from the citizen participants. I still harbor resentment for Bernie so I get what you're saying, but I think you should give this a try.

Edited by ktwo
  • Love 1

Joy and EJ talked a lot about their book of Obama speeches when it came out.    

I thought the town hall with Bernie Sanders tonight was excellent.  Bernie came across as very sincere and helpful, but I still suspect that miner who sat onn the panel thinks Trump is coming through for their town.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, ktwo said:

I'm three quarters of the way through and there's been very little Bernie, and lots of other really good info from Chris and from the citizen participants. I still harbor resentment for Bernie so I get what you're saying, but I think you should give this a try.

Yeah, I watched most of it and it was good. Sometimes at these town halls, with all the commercials I often feel that too much goes unsaid, but not with this one. There was a lot more time allotted to the citizens to speak and they spared no details. This is the shit that should be going on as Bernie said with this new bullshit "healthcare" bill the republicans are trying to pass. There should be real people going to the Hill to testify, but they can't have that. But this was good and they should have another one like this.  Yeah, they love to build prisons and fill them with brown and black people,  instead of building health clinics. I can't believe that they don't have any mental/substance abuse clinics in that place, unreal. 

Then I started to watch Rachel and I'm thinking if those folks in that audience could hear all the corruption of millions and billions of dollars that are lining Trump's pockets as well as his son -in-laws pockets and yet they want to cut the health care that would take care of those coal miners with lung decease. 

OMG EVIL, pure EVIL, and EVIL lives long.

• Love 5

I watched the town hall tonight and it was just heartbreaking.  The Dems, or whoever, need to grab that lady doctor and let HER do the talking for them.  She was excellent at explaining things and making her point.  The people in that hall were in such pain...physically, financially and emotionally.  And this is the story all over the country.  It doesn't matter, at this point, who they voted for.  The main thing, as the town hall more than relayed, is what is to be done now.

Like Bernie or not, he does these types of things (town halls) very well.  I would love to see more politicians do them...no yelling, sarcasm and jeering from anyone.  Just regular people speaking from their heart.  And a politician not afraid to face voters and answer questions. Off the cuff.

Chris Hayes is, in my opinion, great at this kind of programming.  He always comes across as wonkish and earnest and it serves him well as a moderator.  People don't seem to mind opening up their hearts when he puts a microphone in front of them.  It is too bad more of these couldn't be done before the election; but with the mood at the time, it probably would have turned into a shout fest.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Kemper said:

Chris Hayes is, in my opinion, great at this kind of programming.  He always comes across as wonkish and earnest and it serves him well as a moderator.  People don't seem to mind opening up their hearts when he puts a microphone in front of them.  

Could not agree more. His man-on-the-street interviews in places like Ferguson are master classes in effective journalistic engagement.

• Love 2

Yes Chris and Bernie make a great team and I've watched both of the town halls.

But honestly, I'm sick to death of these people that got sucked into this hot mess that they will pay dearly for.

• Love 2

I watched the town hall tonight and it was just heartbreaking.  The Dems, or whoever, need to grab that lady doctor and let HER do the talking for them.  She was excellent at explaining things and making her point.  The people in that hall were in such pain...physically, financially and emotionally.  And this is the story all over the country.  It doesn't matter, at this point, who they voted for.  The main thing, as the town hall more than relayed, is what is to be done now.

Same here! I watched the first half or so and kept thinking "this is how you get Democrats elected.  You go to these people and talk to them like Chris or Rachel are so good at doing. You don't lecture, you don't tell them what they did wrong. You empathize with what they've been thru and talk to them about what would help things be better.  The doctors that treat them, the miners who are sick, the local Dems who saw technology take the mining jobs, etc. 

Yes, it's a shame they voted for Trump, but it's because he lied and told them he'd make things better and they believed him because what else did they have?  They felt like they were blamed for working their asses off and dying to provide heat & electricity to the world.     We need more encounters with people like this, from W. Virginia, the Rust Belt, the South, etc. 

How do we give tax breaks to the uber wealthy and let the people who did all the heavy lifting suffer? 

• Love 1

I watched the town hall tonight and it was just heartbreaking.  The Dems, or whoever, need to grab that lady doctor and let HER do the talking for them. 

Would have been a better responder after the Joint Address than the former governor of Kentucky, who just sounded like Euell Gibbons. 

• Love 1

I have my DVR set to record All In every night, but they must have given the town hall another name because it didn't record, so I missed it.  Which I realized at 9:02.  So I thought maybe they would re-run it for the west coast feed, and no, my guide showed they went straight from BriWi to Rachel.  I guess All In doesn't get a second airing since BriWi takes the 8 pm west coast slot.

33 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I have my DVR set to record All In every night, but they must have given the town hall another name because it didn't record, so I missed it.  Which I realized at 9:02.  So I thought maybe they would re-run it for the west coast feed, and no, my guide showed they went straight from BriWi to Rachel.  I guess All In doesn't get a second airing since BriWi takes the 8 pm west coast slot.

In case this happens to you again, there should be another airing overnight, around 3 am. 

I only watched half so far so I'll get the rest, but I have to wonder, would they really vote dem when the Reps are telling them the Dems will take their guns and kill babies?  

Since The one miner got his job back when trump let the coal companies poison water, why would he vote dem?  If he's given the choice, a coal mining job, but no healthcare, or healthcare but he'll have to find another lower paying job, which will he really choose? Seems like he made that choice already.

Edited by Hanahope
  • Love 2

The one guy, Phil, that got his coal mining job back, said no other job gave him hospitalization like he got from being a miner.

The part of his story I didn't understand was, trump signed an executive order that got rid of the of the ban on polluting the water and magically he gets his job back?  It just doesn't add up.

The audience seemed so pro-Bernie but 75% of the voters in that town (or county?) voted for trump, including the Democrat State Assemblyman.  And, everyone seemed to agree that they voted that way because they were promised their coal jobs back, even though they didn't believe it because it takes less men to do the jobs because of mechanicalization.   And, voted against their best interest because the republicans are backing legislation to take away their black lung coverage and that will be devastaing.

15 minutes ago, stormy said:

The audience seemed so pro-Bernie but 75% of the voters in that town (or county?) voted for trump

They were duped into believing that the "replace" part of repeal and replace would actually give them better health coverage.  That's what Trump told them, and they believed it and they voted.  It seems some still do, despite what they are realizing about RyanCare.

But yes, they believe everyone has a right to health care, and should be able to get it because it's a human right, which makes them more in line with Bernie and the rest of the countries of the world.  Even Russia offers universal health care.

• Love 1

2 HOURS AGO, STORMY SAID:

The audience seemed so pro-Bernie but 75% of the voters in that town (or county?) voted for trump

Yeah, but Bernie did win the democratic primary in West Virginia. So they did like Bernie, I don't think Bernie is seen even by those folks as some corporate, elitist politician, but he's still a lefty to them at the end of the day. They stand by their conservative values when it comes to social issues, the social issues are part of making America "great again," and Bernie is no way going to represent them when it comes to those values. But I don't think they see him as sinister or having self serving motives IMO. So....now that's not to say that he would have won the state if he had become the democratic presidential candidate. But he did in fact win that primary  in WV over Hillary, I can't remember by how much. Nor do I know how his numbers compared to Trump's in that primary but...

Edited by Keepitmoving

So that Ohio Congressman really believes that a bunch of people in their 60s are suddenly going to find jobs that pay $60,000 or so in order to afford $14,000 insurance premiums?  Seriously?  And the constant referring to competition and other possible provisions in a plan that's not even in a bill, nor will such a bill be passed because it requires such to be fillibuster proof, which isn't going to happen in either the House or the Senate any time soon.  The only reason the current "bill" might pass, or at least has the potential to do so, is because its a reconcilliation bill, which only requires a simple majority to pass and can't be fillibustered. 

• Love 3

I was very irritated by that entire exchange.  How on earth would these magical competitive markets arise?  Spontaneous creation?  Out of the goodness of insurance executives cold, black hearts?  It was all sunshine and lollipops.  Was it my fevered imagination or did Chris Heyes actually slip in a reference to a unicorn?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

So that Ohio Congressman really believes that a bunch of people in their 60s are suddenly going to find jobs that pay $60,000 or so in order to afford $14,000 insurance premiums?  Seriously?

I think he was trying to say that getting new jobs would mean the employer would provide the insurance, and take these people off of the exchanges altogether. Which would be great, if 'new jobs for geezers*' weren't another example of magical thinking.

*By which I OF COURSE mean 'imminently retired'. ;_)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, attica said:

Which would be great, if 'new jobs for geezers*' weren't another example of magical thinking.

Exactly.  No one hires 60 year old workers, at least not in jobs that pays those kind of benefits.  No one hires someone that's going to retire in just a few more years.

The Tom Perez interview made me want to break the two numb-skulls' heads together. l mean, seriously, have they forgotten the elephant in the room regarding Hillary and coal country?  There's no way Lopez would be so honed in on coal country/Appalachia without having Hill's epic fuck-up top-of-mind.  Even at the time I knew what she meant, but I also knew damn well that's not how it was going to be taken.  Perez and Chris should have at least acknowledged the damage HRC did that Lopez is now almost desperately trying to fix.  

She said that out loud that she was "going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business" at a Democratic town hall in Columbus, Ohio.