Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E09: Handcuffs

Jaded
  • Start Topic

In defiance of Garrett's advice, Frank orders a raid on a housing complex to secure anyone with an outstanding warrant after police are harassed there; a woman whom Danny put in jail asks for his help to prevent her brother from getting into trouble.

10 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

What was that weirdness with Danny and Molly?  Can't see him getting involved with someone he arrested.

That's exactly why he eventually will get involved with her. Just imagine her at the Sunday dinner table.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2

Good grief, what does Molly see in Danny?

I thought the guy playing her brother was awfully pretty.

Talk about blowing smoke up someone's ass. This show was blowing it  big time.

Frank's police action was awful but not to worry, they salvaged his overreaction by finding a mass murderer. Did the police have warrants on all those people they arrested? Why weren't they arrested when the cops were there the first time? Did they just bust down doors and cuff people?

• Love 4

I don't understand why Jaime's CO said, "Actually, an officer Janko...." to Frank, like he doesn't know she's about to be Frank's daughter-in-law. When he mentioned Jaime to Frank, he said, "Not to blow smoke," but when he mentioned Eddy, he acted like Frank had no reason to have even heard of her. Come to think of it, are you even allowed to be romantically involved with your immediate boss in the NYPD? Why didn't Frank complain about that arrangement, I wonder?

4 hours ago, Biscuit Tin said:

I don't understand why Jaime's CO said, "Actually, an officer Janko...." to Frank, like he doesn't know she's about to be Frank's daughter-in-law. When he mentioned Jaime to Frank, he said, "Not to blow smoke," but when he mentioned Eddy, he acted like Frank had no reason to have even heard of her. Come to think of it, are you even allowed to be romantically involved with your immediate boss in the NYPD? Why didn't Frank complain about that arrangement, I wonder?

They don't know about it. I don't know how they are keeping it secret. There was explanation in earlier episodes about how it was allowed. Not very clear and seems ridiculous that they are doing it even if it is allowed. 

• Love 1

1.  The first scene, that was a tough call.  I can see both sides of it.  Don't give the reaction they want, and don't make it look like people can just do whatever they want and you'll let them get away with it.

2. Yeah, if they knew that a bunch of the people living in that building had outstanding warrants, whey weren't they arrested before?  The police now need provocation to do what is already their job?  Good to know.

3. I think Danny was right in regards to Jack. Although, I'm not sure how he knew that Jack skipped all his classes unless he told him. Or he told Sean and Sean ratted him out.  But, if I'm paying for my kid to go to school, he/she better be actually going to classes.  I don't care if they skip one or two a semester, but a whole weeks worth?  No way.  College costs upwards of $30K a year nowadays, and that's just tuition. 

4. It definitely looked like they were going for a Danny/Molly vibe and just no. 

5. I like that Nicki at least trusted her mother enough to test the guy.  But, ugh, they were just too cutesy.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Biscuit Tin said:

6 hours ago, GussieK said:

They don't know about it. I don't know how they are keeping it secret. There was explanation in earlier episodes about how it was allowed. Not very clear and seems ridiculous that they are doing it even if it is allowed. 

Was there? I was pretty sure when they talked about them being partners they said there was no formal policy about that, but only about supervisor-subordinate and I don't remember them ever bothering to come out and say it was allowed. It's just sort of been there in the margins breaking the springs on my suspension of disbelief. I don't understand how they expect us to believe that there is no policy against supervising someone you are romantically involved with. And it makes no sense that Frank would be OK with it and bide his time.

5 hours ago, Katy M said:

1.  The first scene, that was a tough call.  I can see both sides of it.  Don't give the reaction they want, and don't make it look like people can just do whatever they want and you'll let them get away with it.

Yeah they did a pretty good job of setting up a situation that actually was a borderline call. It's too bad that they couldn't live up to that standard for the rest of the episode or even for the rest of that plot.

2. Yeah, if they knew that a bunch of the people living in that building had outstanding warrants, whey weren't they arrested before?  The police now need provocation to do what is already their job?  Good to know.

IRL there are often individuals with outstanding warrants who are not actively pursued. They weren't necessary talking about felony warrants, but warrants for unpaid fines, misdemeanors, etc. In many cases they are simply warrants for being poor and not having the money to pay fines or lawyers. They even mentioned unpaid parking tickets. The police don't have the resources to go after everyone so they usually stick to people wanted for violent crimes or high profile cases and they only arrest you for the rest if there is an interaction and they run you through the system or suspect you in another crime. Or if there is a sweep for some reason (i.e. they want to arrest anyone even loosely associated with gangs or need to tweak stats or try to raise funds to make budgets work.)

4. It definitely looked like they were going for a Danny/Molly vibe and just no.

Yeah let's just stick to the tried and true procedural COTW plots. Every time they've tried to spice things up by adding a twist (like the ridiculous romantic tension here of giving him a super-criminal  nemesis) it's been couterprodutive.

This week could have been a really interesting episode if they had done more along the lines of Jame and Frank's discussion over scotch - with good people having conflicting feelings ultimately coming down on both sides of the issue and Frank ultimately coming down somewhere in between Sid and Garrett. But no this is yet another episode where they seem to realize that Frank is in the wrong (or at least not entirely right), but can't actually follow through. I mean would it have been so had to maybe have Baker say that Garrett has a good point, but she isn't willing to go behind Frank's back? Or maybe have some actual real negative consequences like a senior citizen with an unpaid parking ticket being injured? Instead we have another dues ex machina to prove that anyone who questions the police is a vicious criminal and anyone who believes that maybe not using the most possible force is the best answer is a soft headed liberal who will ultimately admit they are wrong to doubt Frank's wisdom. And that a proportional response is a "slap on the wrist for a punch in the face" so instead we should go with "beat them with a baseball bat for insulting you."

Edited by wknt3
fix typos
  • Love 7

Donnie Whalberg is really aging. 

Glad Nikki found out quickly what a douchenozzle her boyfriend was instead of having her fight with Erin over how wrong she is about him for how ever many episodes. 

Does Jamie like his new job? 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, wknt3 said:

This week could have been a really interesting episode if they had done more along the lines of Jame and Frank's discussion over scotch - with good people having conflicting feelings ultimately coming down on both sides of the issue and Frank ultimately coming down somewhere in between Sid and Garrett. But no this is yet another episode where they seem to realize that Frank is in the wrong (or at least not entirely right), but can't actually follow through. I mean would it have been so had to maybe have Baker say that Garrett has a good point, but she isn't willing to go behind Frank's back? Or maybe have some actual real negative consequences like a senior citizen with an unpaid parking ticket being injured? Instead we have another dues ex machina to prove that anyone who questions the police is a vicious criminal and anyone who believes that maybe not using the most possible force is the best answer is a soft headed liberal who will ultimately admit they are wrong to doubt Frank's wisdom. And that a proportional response is a "slap on the wrist for a punch in the face" so instead we should go with "beat them with a baseball bat for insulting you."

I was annoyed by most of what was mentioned in your post @wknt3. The amount of force used after the interaction Eddie and the other cops had at the start of the show kinda shocked me even though it probably shouldn't have. They also made sure the offensive names for criminals who aren't white were used to describe people living in that complex. The scenes with a bunch of over middle age white guys and the one white woman that works with them going on about crime in areas like the complex shown had me talking back to the TV. Those were the scenes where the aforementioned names were used. I too think it was a cop out to have them attempt to whitewash the overuse of force by saying they found the mass murder suspect that was still out there. The fact that Jamie's CO was the non white person getting ragged on by Frank and co. didn't go by unnoticed either. 

I didn't mind the Nicki and Erin storyline compared to everything else that went on. I was glad that Nicki did what she did to catch the supposed boyfriend after the reaction she had to her Mom's accusations against him and that it was all wrapped up in one episode too. 

I agree about Donnie's age really catching up to him look wise the last couple of years. The way they wrote Molly eventually fawning all over Danny kinda skeeved me out while leaving me perplexed at the same time in regards to what she saw in him. Of course we as viewers have been treated to viewing 9 years of his more then questionable behavior.

• Love 5

The scene where female Nicky exposed male Nicky: the cell phone was sitting in the charger on whatever piece of furniture it was on.  How was she able to get a video of Nicky the douche taking pics of Erin's docs? When and how did she hit the record icon and have it framed perfectly?

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2

I think my biggest problem with the episode is that it felt like there was a deleted scene. The whole shock and awe plan doesn't sound like something Frank would come up with on his own, but I could see someone he trusted talking him into it. It feels like there should have been a scene where we saw that happen. It reminded me a bit of Hill Street Blues. Furillo's first reaction was rarely to send in Hunter and the Emergency Action Team, but he could be convinced to do it under certain circumstances. 

I'm surprised to find out Joe was a bit of a wild child. I always thought he was more like Jamie.  

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, preeya said:

The scene where female Nicky exposed male Nicky: the cell phone was sitting in the charger on whatever piece of furniture it was on.  How was she able to get a video of Nicky the douche taking pics of Erin's docs? When and how did she hit the record icon and have it framed perfectly?

I imagine she already had it set up to face the purse.  She didn't actually have to worry about whether he stood there the whole time he was looking through it.  She wasn't trying to get evidence of a crime, just him picking it up would have been proof enough for her.  Could she have turned the camera on before he came and it have recorded all that time?  Maybe not. Could she have had another phone that she could use to remotely control the other one?  

4 hours ago, wknt3 said:

1 hour ago, Jaded said:

I was annoyed by most of what was mentioned in your post @wknt3. The amount of force used after the interaction Eddie and the other cops had at the start of the show kinda shocked me even though it probably shouldn't have. They also made sure the offensive names for criminals who aren't white were used to describe people living in that complex. The scenes with a bunch of over middle age white guys and the one white woman that works with them going on about crime in areas like the complex shown had me talking back to the TV. Those were the scenes where the aforementioned names were used. I too think it was a cop out to have them attempt to whitewash the overuse of force by saying they found the mass murder suspect that was still out there. The fact that Jamie's CO was the non white person getting ragged on by Frank and co. didn't go by unnoticed either. 

I agree about Donnie's age really catching up to him look wise the last couple of years. The way they wrote Molly eventually fawning all over Danny kinda skeeved me out while leaving me perplexed at the same time in regards to what she saw in him. Of course we as viewers have been treated to viewing 9 years of his more then questionable behavior.

I caught this episode because I happened to be home and couldn't find anything else I wanted to watch, and by the end of the episode I was reminded of why I gave up this show years ago. Another round of "good white cops" vs. "bad non-white city residents". The way it was played, almost everyone who lived in those buildings was being led out in handcuffs.

Sure, Frank gave lip service to the non-criminal residents who lived there with some throwaway line about how his use of force was for them too. So they wouldn't be afraid to walk to the store, or afraid to let their kids play outside, etc. Nice, Frank. Except that fear was nothing new. You just didn't feel compelled to reign down the "wrath of God" on the place until your officers got insulted so publicly. Frankly, I could have appreciated the storyline more if we had gotten to see the effect of this raid on the people who lived there and were just minding their business, trying to get through the day.

I wish Commissioner Moore (the lone dissenter) had stood his ground, instead of drinking the kool-aid at the end. The ends don't always justify the means, and he was right to say so.

Ugh, this show. I'll catch it again some year. Maybe.

• Love 5

I live in NYC, and this was partly a ripped-from-the headlines plot.  There has been talk lately that the cops are standing down on certain enforcement because they're afraid of being videotaped.  But this is a good thing!  I too was disturbed by the theory that anyone who is mouthing off to the cops is committing an offense, such as disorderly conduct.  This is just the worst kind of policing, even if you could make out such a case, which I suppose you could.  They're supposed to be doing more community policing and not egging people on to end up in situations that are actually violent.  Walking away from people mouthing off is a good idea, I think.  I thought Jamie, especially with his law background, would have favored that.

What do I know? 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 7

So what should the police have done when the guys mouthed off to them?  Arrested them for taunting an officer?  Shot them?  Gotten into a fist fight or a screaming match?  

Police are supposedly trained to diffuse potentially violent situations.  How does going into a housing project with a helicopter and a tank and an army of cops help community relations?  

• Love 5

This is my least-liked episode of the whole series. I thought it was absolutely dreadful,  and I LOVE Blue Bloods.  Frank has always talked about the virtue of being thick-skinned.  He doesn't want his people to be reactionary.  I don't believe he would call the precinct Captain in and shame him because his cops showed tolerance and didn't engage the youths that were verbally taunting them.  And there was no reason at all for the Captain to ream Jamie out - Frank based  everything he said  to him on what he saw on the video.  I know the point was to allow the Captain to say to Jamie,, "I don't care who your Daddy is!" but they should have written a real reason for him to say it.  I don't believe Frank would send his own community policing program reeling backwards due to some minor name calling. Community policing is his baby. And the forced sexual tension between Danny's former arrestee and him? Too rapid, too forced, too unbelievable.  Then there's the fact that no one knows that Eddy and Jamie live together and are engaged? Too stupid. And what about the way the Captain told Jamie at the end - "You make me a better cop?" Please! I would like this to be said of Jamie, but write a real reason to say it! What happened this week? How did such a weak episode get made? I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Did you notice the terrible continuity a couple weeks ago (the episode with Eddy's mom) where in the beginning, Eddy has her arms around Jamie's neck when the camera was behind her, and at her sides when the camera was behind him? It was laughably bad editing that flipped back and forth. Later, at the dinner table, they showed Frank placing his napkin on his lap twice. Hello? Is the show being written and edited by high school students now?

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, buckboard said:

So what should the police have done when the guys mouthed off to them?  Arrested them for taunting an officer?  Shot them?  Gotten into a fist fight or a screaming match?  

Police are supposedly trained to diffuse potentially violent situations.  How does going into a housing project with a helicopter and a tank and an army of cops help community relations?  

I agree completely. I saw an interview with Will Estes on You Tube where he said that Tom Selleck has an amazing memory for every past plot line and an incredible sense of how characterization should drive the story. All I can say is Tom must have been overwhelmed with the aftermath of the  CA wild fires, because no one who knew the characters okayed this plot.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, preeya said:

I use a free app called Alfred to watch on my pooch when I am out (the streaming one is set up on an old iphone and I can view from my current one) and the paid ones allows you to record.  It's possible she set it up before he arrived and recorded him due to her mom.

5 hours ago, Jaded said:

I agree about Donnie's age really catching up to him look wise the last couple of years.

Well he will be 50 next year but look up any video from October's NKOTB cruise...he has an allergy in wearing shirts (which I have no problem with.  Ahem.)  That said, I was so not loving that googly eyed scene.  I was like "Dude, she did set you up last season where you almost got blown up.  Also, the guy who possibly murdered your wife is still out there.  Focus on that first!"  (However if that means not  getting Donnie's wife as his love interest, I'll live with that idea.) 

I didn't get the point of the full on SWAT team barreling down on that complex.  To teach some goons a lesson about shaming cops and SURPRISE they found a murderer in the process?  Meh.  If the officers had tried to engage, it would have led to a much worse result. 

• Love 5

Oh, look Garret's huffin' and puffin' because he's got no idea what real police work is and then he has to eat some humble pie - must be Friday evening *sheesh* Why are they even keeping him around - as a mascot-punching bag hybrid? 

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Oh, look Garret's huffin' and puffin' because he's got no idea what real police work is and then he has to eat some humble pie - must be Friday evening *sheesh* Why are they even keeping him around - as a mascot-punching bag hybrid? 

I'm with you ~ I'm definitely on Team Garret!  I keep waiting for him to tell Sid and Baker The Detective-slash-Receptionist to stick their police experience where the sun don't shine.

• Love 6

Sorry if I'm not doing this right - just joined today. Now I want to ask all the questions that have been on my mind. Here we are at the 9th episode of the season, and I don't think we know who the current mayor is. Did the former DA win? Did Maggie win? Who was that guy who promoted Erin to Bureau Chief? I swear I never saw him before, Also, I'm glad to see Bebe Neuwirth again - I enjoy when she looks exasperated at Frank - but we all remember when she resigned her position because, "I root for you, Frank." What is her position, now? Is she the actual Attorney General? Why did Frank stop wearing his class ring?

• Love 2

Lot of mixed feelings about this episode.

Danny and the girl. Never going to happen.

Danny looking old. It's the unshaven look.

Nikki. Surprised she believed her mom.

Jamie and Eddie story line is getting old fast.

Frank had two new suits on this episode. So WTF is up with that.

As for the show of force I love it while in the real world it's not realistic.

I thought this kind of felt like a re-hash of the Bitterman projects story in season 3.  When Vinny Cruz was killed, Frank unloaded the full force of the NYPD to clean the place up.  It made more sense then because a cop had been killed.  

• Love 6
On 12/1/2018 at 1:32 AM, Biscuit Tin said:

On 12/1/2018 at 5:35 AM, GussieK said:

This is TV reality, not the real world. I think that this would never be allowed in the real world but anything is possible on TV.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, CaptainCranky said:

Nikki. Surprised she believed her mom.

I think she believed her mom enough to believe that her mom believed it, but was actually trying to prove her wrong.  Which is fine.  Why would you believe the worst about some you love/think you love.

On 12/1/2018 at 7:55 AM, Katy M said:

3. I think Danny was right in regards to Jack. Although, I'm not sure how he knew that Jack skipped all his classes unless he told him. Or he told Sean and Sean ratted him out.  But, if I'm paying for my kid to go to school, he/she better be actually going to classes.  I don't care if they skip one or two a semester, but a whole weeks worth?  No way.  College costs upwards of $30K a year nowadays, and that's just tuition. 

Absolutely!  Number of classes skipped, any tests missed and how grades are affected are a huge factor in how big a wake up call Jack needs.  And Danny isn't exactly in a position to throw money out the window.  Lot's of kids go off the rails with the freedom college brings but most learn to balance and if Jack isn't doing what he needs to do then Danny's right to bring him in line.  My cousin flunked out of college badly, skipped classes, took nothing seriously, basically failed the entire year so they not only kicked her out they blacklisted her and told her she could not reapply or come back in any way.

This was a weird episode though, Frank is usually unflappable and, a majority of the time, even handed.  This felt totally out of character how a little teasing of his officers got under his skin because it went to social media and how disproportionate the response was, taking down an entire apartment block and raiding hundreds of people because three guys got out of hand and one guy filmed it.

The Nicky/Nicky thing was funny if just for Erin's face in the restaurant, she was not buying into the meet-cute act from minute one.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Absolutely!  Number of classes skipped, any tests missed and how grades are affected are a huge factor in how big a wake up call Jack needs.  And Danny isn't exactly in a position to throw money out the window.  Lot's of kids go off the rails with the freedom college brings but most learn to balance and if Jack isn't doing what he needs to do then Danny's right to bring him in line.  My cousin flunked out of college badly, skipped classes, took nothing seriously, basically failed the entire year so they not only kicked her out they blacklisted her and told her she could not reapply or come back in any way.

I am walking proof on the leaving home, now on your own and what happens. I flunked out of college due to poor grades (missed classes and poor test) and got drafted for Vietnam. Best thing that happened to me in my life. Served my 4 year tour and came home to use my VA benefits to finish my degree. Had an extremely solid career in real estate, property management and construction management.

Point is it took 4 years in the military for me to get my shit together and mature. Won't happen for everyone but it sure did for me.

Edited by CaptainCranky
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

This was a weird episode though, Frank is usually unflappable and, a majority of the time, even handed.  This felt totally out of character how a little teasing of his officers got under his skin because it went to social media and how disproportionate the response was, taking down an entire apartment block and raiding hundreds of people because three guys got out of hand and one guy filmed it.

I felt the same way. I would have had an easier time believing it if they had shown us Frank getting talked into taking such drastic action or if this incident was placed in a larger context within the episode. There needed to be another scene or line of dialogue. I think there may well have been a deleted scene. The episode would have worked better and been a stronger episode with more motivation.

Show that what we saw at the start of the episode was part of a larger pattern of people disrespecting police officers and that this incident became the straw that broke the camel's back for Frank. Have Sid say something like "This is the 7th video like it this month," and Garret replying "Actually it's the 12th. The other 5 didn't get shared because of poor video or sound quality. You could barely figure out what was happening."  

This was not one of thier better episodes. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

I thought this kind of felt like a re-hash of the Bitterman projects story in season 3.  When Vinny Cruz was killed, Frank unloaded the full force of the NYPD to clean the place up.  It made more sense then because a cop had been killed.  

I thought  of the Bitterman episode too.   The difference is that raid was justified and it was a great episode.    This one.......not so much!

1 hour ago, CaptainCranky said:

I am walking proof on the leaving home, now on your own and what happens. I flunked out of college due to poor grades (missed classes and poor test) and got drafted for Vietnam. Best thing that happened to me in my life. Served my 4 year tour and came home to use my VA benefits to finish my degree. Had an extremely solid career in real estate, property management and construction management.

Point is it took 4 years in the military for me to get my shit together and mature. Won't happen for everyone but it sure did for me.

4 years?   The draft was two years in the Vietnam era and  three if you enlisted and went RA.  

How did you wind up with 4 years? 

Edited by AnnA
1 hour ago, AnnA said:

4 years?   The draft was two years in the Vietnam era and  three if you enlisted and went RA.  

Nice catch. Was drafted but got lucky and enlisted. The USAF was 4 years. Since  you seem to know about the draft and enlistment you actually served 4 years and was on inactive for 2 years before you were honorably discharged.

Edited by CaptainCranky
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, CaptainCranky said:

Nice catch. Was drafted but got lucky and enlisted. The USAF was 4 years. Since  you seem to know about the draft and enlistment you actually served 4 years and was on inactive for 2 years before you were honorably discharged.

Ah Ha!   The Air Force.  I was thinking about the Army.

Thank you for your service.   

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AnnA said:

1 minute ago, AnnA said:

Ah Ha!   The Air Force.  I was thinking about the Army.

Thank you for your service.   

Well I was not about to be drafted so I enlisted. My folks got my notice to appear for induction the day after I got to Lackland. 

Proud to have served 65-69. RVN 67-68.

• Love 7

I really liked this episode, even if it was light on Jamko (my main reason for watching).  I believe Eddie and the others did the right thing by walking away because if they hadn't you would know where the news narrative would of went and probably people would have gotten short or hurt.  I'm conflicted about Frank's solution though and that's not a bad thing.

I'm all for Danny getting his groove back, He's not gonna marry the girl, but hey.  Or maybe she could be a plant from his main enemy, Delgado.

Agreed about the continuity/editing on this show.  Someone needs some to get on that.

• Love 1
On 12/1/2018 at 4:41 PM, Biscuit Tin said:

What happened this week? How did such a weak episode get made? I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Did you notice the terrible continuity a couple weeks ago (the episode with Eddy's mom) where in the beginning, Eddy has her arms around Jamie's neck when the camera was behind her, and at her sides when the camera was behind him? It was laughably bad editing that flipped back and forth. Later, at the dinner table, they showed Frank placing his napkin on his lap twice. Hello? Is the show being written and edited by high school students now?

The show has always been written by interns from the College Republicans who are upset that they are being kept out of the business by Hollywood Liberals. So high school students isn't much of a step down. Seriously the writing has been bad from the start - the only thing that has saved it is the fact that they have always had great actors who can elevate the material and (mostly) make it work despite itself. As far as the editing is concerned - I honestly haven't noticed, mostly because I usually watch this show while doing chores. The technical aspects have usually been superb though. Perhaps they realize that this is TV comfort food for most of it's audience and they aren't paying much attention so they have stopped caring? Or there have been some sort of cutbacks or production delays?

On 12/1/2018 at 4:52 PM, Biscuit Tin said:

I agree completely. I saw an interview with Will Estes on You Tube where he said that Tom Selleck has an amazing memory for every past plot line and an incredible sense of how characterization should drive the story. All I can say is Tom must have been overwhelmed with the aftermath of the  CA wild fires, because no one who knew the characters okayed this plot.

1. Don't forget to apply the discount rate for actors in a junket interview praising the star of the show they're on. Especially one who is a major creative influence. This is the sort of thing they always say and it's often questionable at best.

2. This plot seems to be firrmly rooted in characterization as Selleck and the producers understands it. The character of Frank Reagan is always right even when he is wrong and anyone who opposes him is wrong or a criminal.

• Love 4
On 12/2/2018 at 2:08 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I felt the same way. I would have had an easier time believing it if they had shown us Frank getting talked into taking such drastic action or if this incident was placed in a larger context within the episode. There needed to be another scene or line of dialogue. I think there may well have been a deleted scene. The episode would have worked better and been a stronger episode with more motivation.

Show that what we saw at the start of the episode was part of a larger pattern of people disrespecting police officers and that this incident became the straw that broke the camel's back for Frank. Have Sid say something like "This is the 7th video like it this month," and Garret replying "Actually it's the 12th. The other 5 didn't get shared because of poor video or sound quality. You could barely figure out what was happening."  

This was not one of thier better episodes. 

Right there, in 2 sentences, you improved the whole episode for me by 80%. Thank you. I'm going to pretend that that actually happened.  I'm starting to agree with the deleted scene theory. Especially since the continuity editing for the show has been pretty bad, lately. 

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Biscuit Tin said:

Right there, in 2 sentences, you improved the whole episode for me by 80%. Thank you. I'm going to pretend that that actually happened.  I'm starting to agree with the deleted scene theory. 

Your comment/reply totally made my day so thank you for the kind words, and also you're welcome. I'm okay with you pretending that it happened, for all we know it did happen and was left of the cutting room floor (even though we clearly agree it needed to be in the episode.)

• Love 2

Wow. I usually have a pretty high tolerance for law enforcement being painted in a rosy light, so I've been okay with how this show has handled a lot of things in the past, but my jaw was on the floor with this one.

And clearly it was supposed to be an episode wherein Frank was unequivocally Right, considering that for once there was no disputing the central plotline at the dinner table and Garret - Garret! - ate crow at the end.

The start scene: because every cop show on air, including this one many times, hasn't had a setup where the officers in question get taken to task for overreacting. Okay, maybe the video is a wakeup call to start a training program to cover exactly that, at what point it's justified to respond - in this situation, you could let it go until the guy gets to the bit about the ass-kicking and then arrest him for threatening violence. Which still was not going to end well in any way, from what I could tell, but at least it would paint a clearer line.

The rest of the episode was a slap in the face to everything the show has ever even tried to say about not making police work an us vs them proposition.

Frank's grand speech about how he was doing it for the downtrodden members of the community - at the very least, he should have said something like that in public. The majority may be silent, but they're not deaf.

The holding cells overflowing (literally and figuratively) after the raids wasn't a great look either. They had to have at least a rough estimate of how many people they were bringing in - take the number of warrants/etc being served and tack on a percentage for people getting swept up for other illegal activities and/or being uncooperative. If you don't have enough cells, make plans to transport them to other houses. Nobody taking the time to do so made the operations look even more reactionary and short-sighted.

It would've been real interesting if the guy Eddie arrested had slipped loose in all that confusion. Talk about consequences.

As it was, a mass murderer captured during a raid that wasn't meant to accomplish anything of the sort was unnecessarily pat, though I did at least like Frank acknowledging that they don't deserve a full media reversal because of it.

And possibly because I was already primed to be irritated,  Danny's arrestee being completely reformed by her time in prison (and happily in agreement that the same will surely hold true for her brother) rang a lot of anvils. See? The cops are just doing this for everybody's own good, and it all works out in the end!

(I was expecting that plotline to go in another direction when the brother kept saying that he hadn't been threatened but still couldn't say who the gun belonged to - I assumed that he'd gotten it from the sister.)

Also: Nicky. Good on you for running the sting operation. But what the hell were you thinking confronting a confirmed mobster-adjacent, whom you were alone with, with the compromising video you had of him? I was shocked Erin didn't say something of the sort instead of just singing her praises.

• Love 1