Type keyword(s) to search

Special: Emotional Aftermath

• Start Topic

Just saw a commercial for this episode on A&E tonight. Airs tomorrow, 11/18.

A feeling of loss after leaving a group is examined and discussed by Leah Remini and she shares a personal account of the impact of attempting to start fresh as well as the difficulty presented when attempting to unlearn established beliefs.

Edited by italianguy626
  • Love 5

I was very interested in the emotional aftermath story. After spending a life acting and believing a certain way, one doesn't instantly change. Leah's crusade to expose the church could easily become unhealthy for her in the aspect of being driven to DO SOMETHING at all times. That insane work ethic was instilled early and could be nearly impossible to shake. While a strong work ethic is great, the inability to ever let up and relax is problematic. Down time, play time, is a good thing.

The part about screaming abusive words at children to teach how to not react--or maybe to react by digging in and growing hard and emotionless--was an enlightening bit.

• Love 15

Leah handing out the tissues before things got too emotional was hysterical!  I did like that the one producer challenged her on her answer about her own emotions, because she didn't talk about them.

How sad that an entire family won't talk to their sister/daughter because she left the "religion."

• Love 17

Leah and Mike may not have wanted to do this, but I'm so glad that the producers talked them into it. I appreciated hearing their stories though I'd heard many of the details before. Even though the Co$'s playbook never changes their destruction affects each person and each family in different ways. And I do find it fascinating listening to former members open up about how much the policies shaped their thought processes, and how much work they've had to go through to separate those instinctive Scientologist responses from normal human responses. Another fantastic episode.

• Love 15
7 hours ago, AnnieBeez said:

I don’t feel like Leah really answered the producer’s question, or at least not fully. It felt to me like she was still dancing around it. 

She's still struggling with it, most likely.  And she could have felt they put her on the spot, etc.  I was glad to hear they go to therapy.

• Love 15

When you look at Mike you almost think there is nothing there.   There is no emotion on his face....and yet he still immediately went to his wife when she was hurting.    I found that the most fascinating thing about the entire panel.  His face did not change at all and yet the minute his wife cried he was at her side.  

If that isn’t emotional aftermath what is?  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 22

The part about screaming abusive words at children to teach how to not react--or maybe to react by digging in and growing hard and emotionless--was an enlightening bit.

That is so messed up.

I liked this episode because they really got into the weeds about how Scientologists are trained to think and respond. The show hasn't really done a whole lot of that, it's been more about the organization and what it's done to families rather than the tenets and the training and how it affects everything they do. I liked hearing them open up about how they are still struggling after leaving all that behind. I think it really informs the stories they want to tell about victims of this cult. 

Any so-called religion that demands family members shun each other should automatically be a red flag to anyone in it. 

• Love 17

To me, the most disturbing emotional aftermath was what Leah's mother said.  She said that "anything that happens to you, is because you created or did something wrong.  So, I feel, because of that, I don't have compassion for others."  That is so sad.

• Love 12
On 11/20/2018 at 11:31 PM, AnnieBeez said:

I don’t feel like Leah really answered the producer’s question, or at least not fully. It felt to me like she was still dancing around it. 

Agree. IMO, she may have trouble answering the question because she didn't lose everything like so many other ex members. Her family left with her so there was no disconnection. She had financial stability to fall back on if it would have negatively affected her career, which it didn't. She had the platform to go public and expose the Co$ with the support of her family and her non/ex $Scientology friends. I'm sure listening to these stories and trying to help has got to be draining, but if you look at her life compared to the people she has interviewed, there is a huge mental/emotional difference and I think she knows it and would rather have the focus and the attention on the people who are risking/losing more by sharing their stories.

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 15

my dvr did not record this episode one. i had to go back and find it. i liked it but damn , i still can't stop looking at the new leah. i think she went to jennifer lopez's plastic surgeon. she looks similar. what a messed up "religion". i wish they would talk about tom cruise the creep and more high profile scientologists. 

Ironically leaving Scientology has boosted Leah’s career and boosted her image.  She was a second tier actress probably B list at best.   Now she is suddenly toying with A list celebrity and I think the reason for it makes her a little uncomfortable which is probably why she preferrs the camera and story on other people.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, lilwhitelion said:

To me, the most disturbing emotional aftermath was what Leah's mother said.  She said that "anything that happens to you, is because you created or did something wrong.  So, I feel, because of that, I don't have compassion for others."  That is so sad.

Leave it to the CO$ to take spiritual bypassing to a psychopathic new level.

• Love 6
On 11/21/2018 at 8:10 AM, Chaos Theory said:

When you look at Mike you almost think there is nothing there.   There is no emotion on his face....and yet he still immediately went to his wife when she was hurting.    I found that the most fascinating thing about the entire panel.  His face did not change at all and yet the minute his wife cried he was at her side.  

If that isn’t emotional aftermath what is?  

It really gets to me when Mike chokes up or gets tears in his eyes. You can see how hard he's trying to hold it together, but the facade cracks just a bit every once in a while. 

• Love 16

With Mike, I think it would probably take many many more years before he can show emotion on his face.  I think it is just so ingrained in him not too.  But I have no doubt he does care and we see it seep through here and there.

This was a good episode.  I felt so bad for Mike's wife. Not being able to say goodbye to her dad, and then the crazy lengths cos went to to hide Mike's mom from him.  It is totally insane! 

• Love 9

I just watched this, and after hearing about how anger is the only acceptable emotion and all others must be suppressed, I'm amazed that there are so many actors in the scientology ranks.  You'd think it would be near impossible to act joyful, or sad, for example, when you've never been allowed to experience those emotions for real.  

Upon further thought, however, maybe that's why they do become actors....so they can freely express emotion.  Hmmmmmm.........

Hulu just added this season and I watched the episode. Leah is definitely a special case because her mother wanted to get out and Leah moved up when she got acting roles in stuff like King of Queens. It was interesting how the one sister remained just enough of a Scientologist so she could still communicate with her family. But All of Leah's family seemed to make a break at the same time.

Mike is probably more typical. He may have been a spokesman for Scientology, but he was abused more because he was in the Sea Org. When he left, his wife stayed, the kids stayed and his mother stayed. That emotional blackmail of disconnection seems to keep Scientology members in the fold more than anything.

• Love 2

I'm also catching up on Hulu. I want to give this show every award for which it is eligible. Mike's flat affect breaks my heart more than others do crying because I know how abuse creates that reaction, and anger being the only acceptable emotion because that's how the abusers express themselves.

• Love 3