Type keyword(s) to search

Guilty Pleasures: Songs You're Ashamed Of Having On Your MP3 Player

• Start Topic

I'm Free by Kenny Loggins and The Girl Gets Around by Sammy Hagar.  They're not even the good songs from the Footloose soundtrack, but the B-sides no one cares about.

Ha! I'm so with you on liking the WTF "also ran" songs, so lots of double whammy guilty pleasures for me. So embarrassed by some of these that once, when I was almost in an accident, the first thought that went through my mind was "oh, sh*t, I can't get caught dead listening to THIS song!"

• "Holding out for a Hero" Footloose soundtrack, Bonnie Tyler
  • "No more lies" Michell'e (or some weird spelling)
  • "She ain't worth it" (Glen Medeiros  and Bobby Brown) 
  • "She Bop" Cyndi Lauper 
  • "America" Neil Diamond
  • "Let's Go" (Wang Chung)
  • "Touch me - I want to feel your body" (Samantha Fox)
  • "Night on Disco Mountain" (Saturday Night Fever soundtrack)
  • "Knock on Wood" (Amii Stewart)
  • "Ghostbusters" (Ray Parker Jr.)

What's posted on the forums stays in the forums, right? 

And I had to buy another iTunes card so I could download some of these gems that I'd forgotten about that ya'll reminded me of - thanks! I cannot believe someone else remembers Pseudo Echo! 

"

• Love 1

•"No more lies" Michell'e (or some weird spelling)

Oh, dear - I hadn't thought of it in eons, but I must admit I like it, too.  (And, according to the internet [like you, I remembered it was weird, but not where exactly the apostrophe went], it's Michel'le.)  That squeaky voice from the spoken parts of the song, rather than the normally-pitched voice from the sung lyrics, is how she speaks - I came upon an interview back in the day, and just about fell out of my chair.

•"She Bop" Cyndi Lauper

I like that song, too; it still makes me laugh, thinking about all the clueless kids (and their parents) who had no idea what they were singing about when they sang along to this song in the car.

•"Holding out for a Hero" Footloose soundtrack, Bonnie Tyler

LOVE this song.  It's awful, and I'm not even a big Footloose fan, but I will listen to it any time it's on.  I'll blame Bonnie Tyler's voice for my irrational love (although nothing will ever top Total Eclipse of the Heart -- I love that song unreservedly ... which does not stop me thinking the literal video version is one of the greatest things to ever happen to music).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Nothing wrong with Def Leppard, except for the gawdawful tweedly-tweedly-tweedly synthesizer that John "Mutt" Lange inflicted on the remastered version of "Bringin' On the Heartache."

Dang that stinks :(. I like that song. Except for Mariah Carey's butchering of it O_o.

A number of years ago (maybe even as many as almost 20), humor columnist Dave Berry came out with a book called Dave Berry's Book of Bad Songs.  Has anyone ever heard of it?  I bought it because it sounded funny and I laughed my butt off.  Granted, not all of the songs were actually bad--some were great classics, but he had criteria (the biggest being the lyrics) that some of those classics did fit into.  It started when he wrote a column about how much he disliked the song I Am, I Said by Neil Diamond because it had the lyrics:

I am, I said!, to no one there;

and no one heard at all, not even the chair

like the chair would have ever stood up and shouted "I heard that!"  The column garnered his biggest response from people not only defending Neil Diamond, but submitting their own entries and he decided to write a book on it.  I'm pretty sure you can still buy it on Amazon if you want a good laugh or two. 

This book has almost caused car accidents on road trips when my mother and I go to Disneyland. Sometimes, I'm not sure what makes her laugh harder, the commentary or when I actually sing the songs... not that my voice is bad but it's hard to sing when you're laughing and if it's a song I haven't heard I attempt to make up a tune which just makes the song worse.

And now those songs show up on the radio and I almost die laughing when they do. So many of them are from when my Mom was growing up so she knows a lot of the songs. Sometimes, she's mildly insulted that one is on the Worst list but the commentary is so funny she gets over it.

I've also created a Dave Barry Worst Songs playlist on Spotify... though I couldn't bring myself to add Disco Duck to it, even as a joke. That song is an atrocity!

• Love 2

I love this thread. Tarzan Boy forever!

The soundtracks to Little Shop of Horrors, Footloose, and Dirty Dancing

I'll add one more that, IMO, is so much worse: Flashdance. Honestly, I think the movie is kind of bad, but I'll watch it in a heartbeat for the songs. Admittedly, my favorite song in the movie, "Gloria" by Laura Branigan isn't on the soundtrack. But I ADORE that song. Like, I could maybe listen to it on repeat for the rest of my life. Her song "Self Control" is also insanely catchy. 

I heard that Fall Out Boy song from Big Hero Six on the radio and that it was adorable, but I just can't listen to them openly with out embarrassment. Too much shame about my former teenage investment in bandom, I suppose.

However, I just can't feel any shame about Abba. Not even "Fernando." They are utterly awesome sauce. "Winner Takes it All" and "Knowing Me, Knowing You" are my personal faves. I'll admit, I love the Carpenters as well. 

Also, I can admit to loving things like "Party in the USA" , "All about that Bass" and even "Love you like a Love song." But: 

OK, "Shake it Off" is catchy, but it's shallow

This. I'm really not loving just how shallow Taylor's lyrics have become.  On an intellectual level, I am so over her whole deal with the list of exes out the ass and her snotty retorts at her haters.  I just don't want to enjoy her, but I can't help myself.  "Blank Space" has  REALLY gotten to me. *hangs head*

Edited by Beezel
  • Love 4

I might have missed it, but I don't think I've seen Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood listed.

Ah, but see, that would have to be considered a guilty pleasure.  I, for one, not only have that song on my iPhone, but I blast it when it comes on in the car. No guilt for me  :)

However, I'm seriously thinking of downloading some Bay City Rollers.

• Love 3

I am so mad at myself. I like Blank Space and Style, and had an iTunes gift card, so I downloaded 1989. I don't hate it. I never liked Taylor Swift before this.

I am mostly angry with myself because I pledge allegiance to Spotify and think streaming is the wave of the future. I was pissed at Taylor for taking all her music off. She has the right to have her music available how she wants, but I have the right to think she is being ridiculous to think she is too good for it when she is making millions anyway. I know it is more complicated than that, but she reminded me of Metallica and other bands being whiney about Napster. But I caved. For some fun poppy music to listen to for cardio. I suck.

• Love 1

Please wait until this evening. You know, S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y   NIGHT!

I can't find a clip right now, but there's a glorious number of that song in So I Married an Axe Murderer.  I'll probably have to watch that tonight now.

• Love 1

I ended up re-watching the movie last night and it still makes me laugh out loud.

Watched Galavant tonight (funny stuff) and one of their numbers was a play on The Monkees - maybe Hey Hey We're the Monks. I totally loved The Monkees but they probably are guilty pleasures.

• Love 2

Watched Galavant tonight (funny stuff) and one of their numbers was a play on The Monkees - maybe Hey Hey We're the Monks. I totally loved The Monkees but they probably are guilty pleasures.

"I'm a Believer" is my ultimate Monkees jam. Can never get enough.

• Love 1

Sigh. Why, oh why, did I hand over my iPod to my friend and instruct him to "find something you like?" Within minutes, I thought he was having a heart attack because of all the exclamations of "oh my GOD" I asked what was wrong. "You have THIS SONG??" Yes, I do:

"Emotion in Motion," (Ric Ocasik) 

"Color of Love" (Billy Ocean) 

"Puttin on the Ritz" (Taco) -- all right, all right, I actually have the entire "After Eight" album)

"Because of You" (Kelly Clarkson)

"Lollipop/Candyman" (Aqua)

"Don't Answer Me" (Alan Parsons Project)

"Dreamtime" (Darryl Hall - I think he was solo for this one)

"Everlasting Love" (Howard Jones)

"Let's Get Loud" (J-Lo)

"self control" (Laura Branigan)

"She bangs" (Ricky Martin)

"See you again" (Miley Cyrus)

"Two of Hearts" (Stacey Q)

"Velcro Fly" (ZZ Top)

"You Spin Me Round (like a record)" (Dead or Alive)

Was also grilled about why, of all Duran Duran songs, I had "Union of the Snake" and "Wild Boys" and nothing else.

Really, I try very hard not to act as tacky and tasteless as my music selection would have people believe me to be!

• Love 4

Was also grilled about why, of all Duran Duran songs, I had "Union of the Snake" and "Wild Boys" and nothing else.

Because all Duran Duran songs are awesome and those two just happen to be two of your favorites?  :)

Also?  You Spin Me Round isn't a guilty pleasure in my book.

• Love 3

Sigh. Why, oh why, did I hand over my iPod to my friend and instruct him to "find something you like?

Oh dear - that's like handing a loaded gun to the incredibly drunk, angry guy at the bar.

And I don't think you officially can be embarrassed by Duran Duran unless The Reflex is on your iPod. 

And yes, I have achieved that Elite Embarrassment Status.

• Love 1
And graced the airwaves with "Always and Forever"

Eons ago, when I was in high school, I went to one of those blue lights in the basement parties and they played that song.  I'm short and this tall guy asked me to slow dance.  I was hesitant, but I felt sorry for him because the other girls turned him down.  He bent me over and I thought that damn record would never end.  My back was sore for a couple of days.  So yeah, every time I hear that song I get a twinge in my back.

And I don't think you officially can be embarrassed by Duran Duran unless The Reflex is on your iPod. 

And yes, I have achieved that Elite Embarrassment Status.

I have zero shame about my Duran Duran collection. Not sure what that says about me, but I'm putting it out there. No shame whatsoever.

• Love 3

The local grocery store was playing an old GP - Groove Line by Heatwave (they also inflicted upon the airwaves Boogie Nights).

I have both these songs downloaded :-)

• Love 1

I don't think anyone is gonna top these as guilty pleasures:

"Stand Out" and "i2i" by Powerline from A Goofy Movie soundtrack. 

Challenge accepted. Two versions of I 2 I on my iPod, the original and the cover by On The Rocks, the University of Oregon's a capella group.

I have both these songs downloaded :-)

Did you already have them picked out or did reading them lead you to do it?

And graced the airwaves with "Always and Forever"

That one was too shmoopy for me, but I know a lot of the older coupled teenagers claimed it as "their song".

Challenge accepted. Two versions of I 2 I on my iPod, the original and the cover by On The Rocks, the University of Oregon's a capella group.

OMG! There are two versions! I did not know that. You win my friend! Now I gotta find the other version....

It's One of Those Nights and I Think I Love You by The Partridge Family. I love those songs.

Together Forever and Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley. I could hear them both on a loop for hours!

One Bad Apple by The Osmonds.  Cheesy? Yes, but hey, that's what this thread is all about.

• Love 2

The local grocery store was playing an old GP - Groove Line by Heatwave (they also inflicted upon the airwaves Boogie Nights).

Delurker, I LOVE those two tunes. Including Always and Forever, they were written by Rod Temperton, who BTW also wrote Michael Jackson',s Rock With You, Off the Wall, Baby Be Mine and Thriller.

Those Heatwave tunes are considered classic in the R&B world.

Just because it's a GP doesn't mean it has to always be cheesy. But then cheesy in in the eyes of the beholder.

Party on. Cheers

It's One of Those Nights and I Think I Love You by The Partridge Family. I love those songs.

Together Forever and Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley. I could hear them both on a loop for hours!

One Bad Apple by The Osmonds.  Cheesy? Yes, but hey, that's what this thread is all about.

I can't help it -- I have to sing along with I Think I Love You whenever it comes up on the iPod (in the car).   Cheesy, satisfying goodness. 

Nick Lowe's All Men Are Liars cites Rick Astley and Never Gonna Give You Up.  The lyrics are:

Do you remember Rick Astley?

He had a big fat hit that was ghastly.

He said I'm never gonna give you up or let you down.

Well I'm here to tell ya that Dick's a clown

Though he was just a boy when he made that vow.

I'd bet it all that he knows by now.

I love Nick Lowe, but he also makes me love Rick Astley even more.  Love the boppy tune (of Never Gonna...) and earnest lyrics.  But I'll never admit it in public. 

I can't help it -- I have to sing along with I Think I Love You whenever it comes up on the iPod (in the car).   Cheesy, satisfying goodness. 

Nick Lowe's All Men Are Liars cites Rick Astley and Never Gonna Give You Up.  The lyrics are:

Do you remember Rick Astley?

He had a big fat hit that was ghastly.

He said I'm never gonna give you up or let you down.

Well I'm here to tell ya that Dick's a clown

Though he was just a boy when he made that vow.

I'd bet it all that he knows by now.

I love Nick Lowe, but he also makes me love Rick Astley even more.  Love the boppy tune (of Never Gonna...) and earnest lyrics.  But I'll never admit it in public. 

Harri, I admit that shit whenever I can. I'm proud of having them BOTH on the mp3. Yeah, Nick is the bomb but as a a guy who could write a good pop tune with the best of them he shouldn't call Ricky boy's hit ghastly. I like the beat and you can dance to it, to quote a thousand and one teens on Bandstand

• Love 1

Harri, I admit that shit whenever I can. I'm proud of having them BOTH on the mp3. Yeah, Nick is the bomb but as a a guy who could write a good pop tune with the best of them he shouldn't call Ricky boy's hit ghastly. I like the beat and you can dance to it, to quote a thousand and one teens on Bandstand

I admit it too, since this place is public and all. Astley and Lowe are both on my iPod, and I think ghastly is just  good rhyme for Astley.  That being said, I bop to them both, albeit in slightly different ways.  

One Bad Apple by The Osmonds.  Cheesy? Yes, but hey, that's what this thread is all about.

I think I may have already mentioned this, but I have Down By the Lazy River. 

Also, That's Rock and Roll, by Shaun Cassidy--which is always amusing to me because the song is about as far from rock and roll as you can get!

• Love 1