Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Phantom Traveler

• Start Topic

Sam and Dean are called in to investigate when a plane crashes under mysterious circumstances. Their investigation leads them to the conclusion that a demon is possessing people and causing them to crash the plane they are on. Things become more urgent when they discover that the demon is going after the 7 survivors of the crash, including the pilot and a stewardess.

• Love 1

While maybe not a strong favorite, I find I like this episode quite a bit--probably more in hindsight. While, I'm not personally fond of Bob Singer's directional style, I do think he sticks the tone nicely here. I liked the concept of "specialized" demons that I wish the show had followed through with and explored more over the years. Now it seems that demons are just demons that are demonic, nothing really makes them different from each other. And, even though the set up for Dean being scared to fly--him stating that nothing ever scares him--was a bit clunky, I still really enjoy it. I especially love him humming Metalica to calm himself down.

What I find I enjoy most about this episode is that sense of fun and adventure that is sorely lacking in the most recent seasons. The idea of them being basically con artists and breaking into warehouses and escaping by scaling fences was fun. Dean making his own EMF detector was fun. Dean wiping his sulfur covered fingers on the back of Sammy's new suit was fun. And them grabbing, holding down and beating the crap out of the co-pilot while a plane full of people was on the other side of a thin little curtain was fun. Yes, I'm twisted that way.

Anyway, minus a couple of scenes--that went on way too long--of them sitting, staring and thinking, thinking, thinking--like while they listened to the black box recording--where I was sure that someone had farted, this episode is a pleasure to watch. Plus, they ended it with the knowledge that Dad was alive so we could stop having the stupid fight over why they weren't looking for Dad instead of hunting randoms.

• Love 5
(edited)

ean making his own EMF detector was fun.

This is was the first time we saw that Dean is just as smart as Sam but in a different way.  Dude is a genius. I will not be moved from this point.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 3

Yup.  s3 and beyond spoilers

That's one of my biggest frustrations with the writing of Dean post season 3. They dumbed him down fairly often for no reason at all. It's always really offended me

• Love 2

I too wish they had stuck with different kinds of demons, and Christo. Smart Dean is alwways welcome, the criminal angle was emphasized which I miss and there was some depth to hunting connections. It was a fun episode, funny and a unique angle for the show. They used to be so much more creative with the monsters.

The deleted scene (at least I think it was this episode) with Dean's hidden weaponry was a hoot and I wish it had been included and the idea kept in general.

• Love 2

It's funny, because at the time I remember thinking this episode had a lot of flaws, but they've all but ceased to matter by now---it's just so great revisiting how comparatively fun, adventurous and energetic this show used to be! 

I liked the concept of "specialized" demons that I wish the show had followed through with and explored more over the years. Now it seems that demons are just demons that are demonic, nothing really makes them different from each other.

THIS! 

• Love 4
liked the concept of "specialized" demons that I wish the show had followed through with and explored more over the years. Now it seems that demons are just demons that are demonic, nothing really makes them different from each other.

Unless  s9

it's named Dean Winchester and then you can just kill me now

• Love 2

It's funny, because at the time I remember thinking this episode had a lot of flaws, but they've all but ceased to matter by now---it's just so great revisiting how comparatively fun, adventurous and energetic this show used to be!

This. The show used to be fun and it used to have, idk, youthful character and energy. Now it's just old and sad. These episodes aren't perfect, but they've taken on a new light and appeal.

• Love 2
(edited)
The deleted scene (at least I think it was this episode) with Dean's hidden weaponry was a hoot and I wish it had been included and the idea kept in general.

I love that one as well! 

The show used to be fun and it used to have, idk, youthful character and energy. Now it's just old and sad. These episodes aren't perfect, but they've taken on a new light and appeal.

Perfectly said.

I also really like how in this episode they lightly touched on how Sam, for all of his academic success, still feels inferior to John and Dean when it comes to hunting prowess. By making the choice to leave and go to school (a wholly understandable decision that I would have made as well, by the way, so I'm not bashing Sam here!), he  missed out on certain adventures, developing certain types of skills and, er, some of the rewarding 'saving people, hunting things' that earned John and Dean gratitude and admiration from those they've helped. It's very relatable to me---the idea that by choosing one path, we automatically lose out on what the other path would have brought, both good and bad. 

Edited by mstaken
  • Love 3

That's an interesting point mstaken.

I think my main frustration was that so many things - especially in retrospect - seemed out of whack with this episode. The way the demon got into people, the "Christo" thing which was never used again, and some to me really odd choices chracterization-wise. Why did they have Sam be so pissy about the EMF meter being made out of a walkman? That just seemed so odd and out of place, in my opinion. Same for me with the pilot's story about John being all proud of Sam going to college which also seemed to make little sense based on what we knew of - and found out later - about John. For me, If John was nothing else, he was paranoid and wouldn't be likely to just go blabbing information about the family to just anybody.

I agree that this was a fun episode. Some of the choices made for the details though were a little odd in hindsight.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think it's the viewing it more in hindsight that makes it work for me and makes me allow some of these things to slip by.

I guess I never saw Sam as pissy about the Walkman-EMF reader, as much as amused by it. It makes me think of all the kids that come out of college with their with their all their learnin' and new fangled gadgets, who smirk at folks who are still using ::gasp:: their own hands to write things or even worse, keeping their checkbook register by hand--oh, the horror I tell you, THE HORROR. I think it was just supposed to reinforce that divide between Sam and Dean at that time--this would be that natural conflict due to differing people with differing points of view I was referring to earlier--I actually am fond of this exchange. The way Sam looks at the thing like it's an abacus or something and then becomes more amused by Dean being so proud of it.  In all reality it was just exposition to allow us to know what that thing was once they were walking around with it on the plane, but I thought they hit the tone fairly well, it feels very brotherly antagonistic and all to me.

ETA: By the way, I actually do own an abacus because I find them interesting and also don't keep my checkbook register by hand and have been known to smirk at a few friends who still do. Geesh, move into the 20th century why don't you. ;)

I also always assumed that even though John had been terrified to let Sam go to college, he still was a proud parent--in his own fucked-up way--and couldn't help but spill the beans a bit, paranoid or not.  I think it was just meant show that Sam was never seen as the embarrassment to his family as he thought he had been. So much of Sam's anger toward his Dad is that he felt that no matter what he did it would never be good enough for John.  When in reality, John was just a terrified parent that didn't know how to express that and made a mess of it in the end. I don't know, but S1 John still was sympathetic-ish to me. Minus the disappearing without a word to let his kids know he's alright even though he knew they were worried and looking for him, but could find the time call to send them on random hunts just for shits and giggles part. (No, I don't think that's exactly a contradiction--just try spending one day in this head of mine and you would lose all sense of reality too!)

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 3

I adore this episode.  It's fun, it has a couple of "scary" (well, not really scary) moments, and it's angst-free, Dean and Sam are both totally at their most likable and their relationship is perfect, and the demon in this episode is a regular MotW that needs to be dealt with. It's most of what I want in an episode.

You guys have highlighted most of what I love about the episode, from the Metallica-humming to Dean's creative intelligence with the Walkman EMF and the fact that "specialized" demons had a lot of potential as a story idea.  ITA with all of it.

A couple of other things that I like in this one: 

This exchange when they're first on the plane:

Sam: Just try to relax.

Dean: Just try to shut up.

There's no hostility in that exchange, and in fact Sam's smile at Dean's retort is one of my favorite things about the entire series.  Not only for shallow reasons (Jared looks utterly adorable there), but because it's one of those perfect sibling moments that I love.  I could put that clip on a loop and use it to explain what I think they're relationship is when it's at its best.

I also like when they're discussing how to figure out whether the stewardess might be the demon.  Dean pulls out the bottle of holy water and Sam yanks it away with an, "I think we can be more subtle," like he knows Dean was just going to throw the stuff in her face.  And then the following exchange in which he (unnecessarily, because Dean already knows) reminds Dean how to say Christo in Latin is another moment.  I miss these brothers.  Haven't seen them in several seasons.

This was also the episode in which I first noticed that Dean looks really good in a suit.  So there's that.

• Love 6

This was also the episode in which I first noticed that Dean looks really good in a suit.  So there's that.

Oh yes indeed.  But I love how Dean is so UNCOMFORTABLE in that suit. Jensen is so wonderful showing how Dean would rather eat his own face than wear a monkey suit and the entire time he's just stunningly beautiful in it. 

Perfect.

I also appreciated Dean's freakout in the airport about having to fly.  That was so well done. It wasn't over the top. It was believable fear that Dean never wanted to admit.  And once Sam realized that Dean really was terrified he backed off the snark  

s4 spoiler -

Too bad Sam couldn't quite find the same compassion for Dean in Yellow Fever when Dean was really melting down from the fear infection. I kind of hated Sam in that episode :(.  He saved Dean's life along with Bobby but he sure seemed to be annoyed by it the entire time.

• Love 2
I also appreciated Dean's freakout in the airport about having to fly.  That was so well done. It wasn't over the top. It was believable fear that Dean never wanted to admit.

There's something about Dean's fear of flying and

Sam's fear of clowns

that makes them more human to me.  They face all these monsters in life, yet they've got these little fears like anyone else.

It was also a smart move from a story-telling point if they wanted to keep the boys road-tripping.  If Dean was willing to fly to wherever they needed to be, the entire tone of the show would have lost something.  Watching them deal with airports just wouldn't be the same.

• Love 4
(edited)

This exchange when they're first on the plane:

Sam: Just try to relax.

Dean: Just try to shut up.

There's no hostility in that exchange, and in fact Sam's smile at Dean's retort is one of my favorite things about the entire series.  Not only for shallow reasons (Jared looks utterly adorable there), but because it's one of those perfect sibling moments that I love.  I could put that clip on a loop and use it to explain what I think they're relationship is when it's at its best.

I feel the need to share a story from my childhood for no other reason than I'm trying to avoid my life right now--I think, maybe I will have a point, let's see how it goes...

So, when I was a kid (youngest of four) my mom made the term "shut up" off limits--for some reason she found it offensive and rude and were told not to use it. That of course didn't stop us from saying it when she wasn't around or finding other more cleaver means to express the same thing--"close your mouth" and yelling "I can't hear you" come to mind. Anyway, it really has become this term that I'm still ingrained to dislike and when my nieces use it, I usually respond with "Can't you can come up with something more creative than that to insult each other?" Regardless, I love it every time Dean uses "shut it". It warms the little, tiny recesses of my cold, cold heart; every single time.

See, I did have a point--a long meandering one--but a point none-the-less.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2

There's no hostility in that exchange, and in fact Sam's smile at Dean's retort is one of my favorite things about the entire series. Not only for shallow reasons (Jared looks utterly adorable there), but because it's one of those perfect sibling moments that I love. I could put that clip on a loop and use it to explain what I think they're relationship is when it's at its best.

Exactly. It's the spot-on sibling vibe that I loved then and now when it's not painful.

Excellent point about reason for no planes. And Jensen brings the comedy here.

I also liked the way Dean just shifted lies so smoothly when trying to talk the stewardess away from flying.

• Love 1

Did anyone call Dean after seeing this episode?  ;-)  From imdb:

Early on in the series, Dean's cell number is given, and for a while the studio had it set up so that anyone dialing the number would hear Jensen Ackles reading the message: "This is Dean Winchester. If this is an emergency, leave a message. If you are calling about 11-2-83, page me with your coordinates." The number is 1-866-907-3235. This number now leads to a fax machine, but it is not known where that fax machine ends up.

The syndicated phone number is different (just watched it on TNT), but is it the same on the dvd?  (I'm too lazy to get up and check right now.)

(edited)

Drunken Bee's recap has the number as 785-555-0179. I would assume that was the original broadcast number.

Okay, just because I'm that anal I just tossed the disk in the DVD player and it's 785-555-0179. It would be interesting to know how many people actually called the number though.

ETA: I guess I never knew that it was a real number, would have never thought to call it. I always assume phone numbers on TV are bogus. Learn something new every day.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2
(edited)

According to Supernatural Wiki:

Phantom Traveler, Dean's cell phone number is given: 1-866-907-3235, and is of now not active. If you phoned the number early in the season, the following messages (spoken by Jensen Ackles) would play:

Message 1: "This is Dean Winchester. If this is an emergency, leave a message. If you're calling about 11-2-83, please page me with your coordinates."

Message 2: "Dad, we really need to hear from you. Leave me a message, text me, check your jwinchester1246 gmail. Anything. We have new info."

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 3

I admit it. I called the number when the show first aired. Since it didn't have the usual 555 prefix, it was a hint that it was a real number. It did have a message from Dean and you could leave a message in return, though I did not.

• Love 4

I just rewatched this one because I wanted to check a quote and I adore the Paranoid sequence when they flash their newly-minted Homeland Security ID's and Sam has his G-man expression already down while Dean can barely contain his disbelief that they got away with it when they walk towards to the door.

And the final scene is one of the most gorgeous scenes they ever shot.

• Love 1

While I don't like the lack of continuity on demon lore after this episode, there is so much to like in this ep that I can gladly hand wave it all.

Dean's fear of flying = epic.  And he really sells it.  Also, the following exchange makes me laugh every time:

D: "Maybe the demon's not on the plane."
S: "Do you really believe that?"

D: "Well, I will if you will."

All the brotherly banter is great.  As mentioned before: Christo, the holy water, the Metallica humming and the "stow the self-help, touchy-feely, yoga crap".  I also loved the suits and SmartDean! with his walkman.  

Beyond that, I kind of love (and hate) the fact that these two jumped on a plane they knew with 95% certainty was going to crash.  They had very little plan, had not dealt with demons before, I believe, and didn't know who it was possessing.  They literally were going to save all those people or die horribly while trying.  And as terrified as Dean was to fly, he certainly wasn't going to let Sam go alone.  This was, at the time, way outside of their wheelhouse but they stepped up for the BDH moment anyway.

The cons or things that make me go "huh?":

• Hate the demon smoke (glad that got better)
  • this would have worked better pre-9/11.  No way they could have gotten on the plane so last minute, can't bring bottled water on (holy water), and you certainly don't get the pilot/co-pilot out of the cockpit for any reason, much less get to pal around with flight attendants in the back room and ask weird questions.  LOL
  • What must the people on board thought was going on behind that tiny curtain?  LOL
  • Wish some of the demon stuff would have stuck though like possessing people with issues/anxiety/ stress/c***** in the armor as Sam put it.  
    Spoiler

That would have given the demons a bit of a weakness in future episodes so that they couldn't just possess anyone they wanted.

• Love 2

I love this episode and this is the one that finally got me to stick with SPN. I loved that Dean, was terrified of flying. And it was treated with respect despite some comedy. I

And Sam Winchester can fuck off with his attitude with Dean about the EMF detector that Dean was so proud of.

I think now I understand why Dean was possibly a bit more defensive about Sam reminding him about Christo when Dean didn't need reminding because Sam had already made Dean feel like an asshole for his invention. And I think maybe Sam was either jealous of Dean's feat of engineering or he really did think it was stupid. And either way, Sam is an asshole.  I find I think that a LOT about Sam in s1.

And I struggle to understand why these guys even want to be around each other.

I don't get that vibe at all.  Sam didn't have, IMO, a negative attitude about the EMF.  I just don't see it.  I saw good-natured banter in both instances.

Yes, I am not a big Sam fan and he comes off as cocky and a bit of a know it all sometimes.  But I don't see that here.  

I have an affinity for their strained relationship in S1, as they try and find common ground and purpose.  Yes, there's issues, but that's what I like about it.  Very real, IMO.

YMMV, of course. :)

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, GirlyGeek said:

I don't get that vibe at all.  Sam didn't have, IMO, a negative attitude about the EMF.  I just don't see it.  I saw good-natured banter in both instances.

I think Sam was an ass from the get go and maybe that was all intention to reflect Sam's poor state of mind.

Dean questioned Sam about his poor sleeping habits and nightmares. Sam didn't like that. Dean couched his concern and worry around 'I need you to be sharp to take care of me' but IMO the reality is that Dean was really concerned about Sam.  Maybe Sam was just passive aggressively lashing out at Dean's competence and because he just wanted to find John and get vengeance on YED and was annoyed that Dean was not as eager as he was.  In hindsight, maybe this was PTSD on Sam's part before the show really understood how to approach PTSDI think it's because Sam really did not want to hunt.

-Teased Dean about making the IDs at the copy shoppe. Dean never

-Told Dean he looked like an 8th grader in his suit when Dean was CLEARLY uncomfortable with wearing one and that was after Sam was the one that  told Dean they had to dress the part

-Mocked Dean for the EMF detector. That was mocking. Sam was disdainful. Instead of saying, "That's cool Dean. He says..."YEAH..I can see that"  with such a smarmy tone it makes me want to flick Sam on the back of his head.  Dean's crushed face and confused look told me that Dean did NOT take it as 'good natured banter'. He didn't respond with banter of his own. He just turned away and looked confused "Like WTF dude". He wasn't showing up Sam just sharing with Sam what he made.

--Sam mocked Dean for being afraid of flying at first with "You're joking right?" and Dean says "Do I look like I'm joking". And then Sam kind of backed off but then literally laughed at Dean's panic attack on the plane which I think he just didn't know what to do with Dean freaking out so he reacted poorly.

-Assumed Dean really didn't know the word was Christo. I can mostly forgive that because Dean was freaking out so maybe Sam thought his brain shut down or something.

If Dean had retaliated along the way with his own digs at Sam, I would go with 'banter' and be less annoyed with Sam. I can head!canon Sam had PTSD to make it all fit but without the PTSD head!canon, Sam is just being a dick. YMMV

I generally chock it up to the writer here not really having a handle on Sam's character yet. He only wrote two episodes, and he had Sam acting somewhat jerky towards Dean in both of them when I don't think that was generally shown in other episodes. It was also somewhat incongruous with how attentive Sam was even later in the episode in trying to keep Dean calm and good-naturedly letting the "Shut up" and "Stuff the self help crap..." type comments just roll off his back.

I also seem to remember another earlier episode where Sam is impressed with the salt shotgun rounds - which I remember (I think?), because I thought it was interesting that they might not have used them from the start and apparently it was a strategy Dean and John thought up after Sam left - but I can't seem to remember where I saw this, so maybe I'm remembering wrongly.

I didn't seem to remember Sam mocking Dean so much this season except those two episodes, so I can't say as I miss this writer much, and there was likely a reason he only wrote these two episodes.

• Love 1

I think Sam comes off as 'pissy' a lot.  Whether an acting choice or a writer not quite getting the character.  I just don't see it in the EMF situation.  But I do see pissy Sam a lot throughout Season 1 (and many times through later seasons on occassion).  Very rarely would I categorize him as just 'being a dick' for no reason.

Spoiler

Ok, maybe throughout season 4, lol.  And 8.  ;)

7 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

I also seem to remember another earlier episode where Sam is impressed with the salt shotgun rounds - which I remember (I think?), because I thought it was interesting that they might not have used them from the start and apparently it was a strategy Dean and John thought up after Sam left - but I can't seem to remember where I saw this, so maybe I'm remembering wrongly.

Yes, Hook Man, maybe?  I remember this because I was kind of surprised they'd say the salt rounds was a relatively new idea for John and Dean.  I think they even contradict that later in the series by recalling early hunts using salt rounds... or Bobby maybe using them?  That I can't quite recall.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yeah, I never got the Sam's being a dick vibe from the EMF scene, I though Sam was surprised and amused by the thing more than anything.  My siblings and I are always chiding each other about things we're kinda geeky about, so maybe I don't have the right angle on this. Perhaps maybe not in this episode, but Dean is always chiding Sam for being a book nerd and such, so I think it goes both ways with them.

39 minutes ago, GirlyGeek said:

Yes, Hook Man, maybe?  I remember this because I was kind of surprised they'd say the salt rounds was a relatively new idea for John and Dean.  I think they even contradict that later in the series by recalling early hunts using salt rounds... or Bobby maybe using them?  That I can't quite recall.

Yes, it's in Hookman. That episode was aired out of order though, it was supposed to air after, I think, Wendigo. I'm not sure if it entirely lines up either though. They've definitely used salt in the past rememberings, but not sure if they use salt rounds. I'll have to pay more attention to that.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

I'm trying to do this re-watch with fresh eyes without the filter of the future. I'll make notes about future stuff but I'm trying to not let what I already know happen inform my view of these episodes now, which really gives me a different view of both Sam and Dean and neither are done big favors, but Sam is worse for wear.  

With that in mind, during these first 4 episodes, Dean never chided Sam about being book smart. If he did, I sure missed it.  He called Sam 'college boy' and talked about him going to pep rallies which was in context of him being bitter and resentful that Sam left him and John with their lives being at stake whilst Sam was off having the "easy college life" from Dean's POV. But never did I think Dean go after Sam's intellect.  

Sam didn't have Dean's picture in his dorm and never showed his live-in girlfriend a picture of his older brother. They hadn't spoken for two years according to Dean. So for me there is a division between them already, and the banter came across as mean vs good natured. If there was not that division, I would see it as less mean. On the flip side, Dean was a bully in the first two episodes about Sam's reaction to Mary's death and given the estranged nature of their relationship I don't see Dean's attitude as being as kind either.

But to this point in time Dean hadn't seemed particularly defensive about his own intellect and he was just SO PROUD of that moment so why would he react the way he did if he wasn't hurt by Sam's derisive tone? 

1 hour ago, DittyDotDot said:

es, it's in Hookman. That episode was aired out of order though, it was supposed to air after, I think, Wendigo. I'm not sure if it entirely lines up either though. They've definitely used salt in the past rememberings, but not sure if they use salt rounds. I'll have to pay more attention to that.

Wait, the episode that aired 5th was supposed to air 2nd? So they shot 5 episodes before the 2nd one ever aired? That must mean that  Dead in the Water and Phantom Traveler were aired out of order too? That explains a lot.

(edited)
10 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Wait, the episode that aired 5th was supposed to air 2nd? So they shot 5 episodes before the 2nd one ever aired? That must mean that  Dead in the Water and Phantom Traveler were aired out of order too? That explains a lot.

Yes, it aired out of order, but it was originally shot third. Apparently, they had Kim Manners re-shoot some of it--the teaser for one--which made them have to change the airing order. There's some deleted scenes on the DVD of the teaser, the car is completely different and so is the wardrobe. I guess they didn't feel like the original footage was scary enough or something.

I didn't know this until I was re-watching two years ago. I was setting up threads and continually going to SuperWiki for the original air dates. Here's the page, it's down at the bottom with the "Minutiae": http://www.supernaturalwiki.com/index.php?title=1.07_Hook_Man

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

I don't know, I think Sam was making fun of Dean's homemade EMF detector, but I don't think Dean was particularly hurt by his comments.  I would chalk it up to just typical sibling banter or teasing, which if you have siblings, you know it can sometimes be a little harsh.

I agree that they were sort of feeling their way with each other in these early episodes, which would be normal since they hadn't been together in almost two years.  Sam had a completely different life while at college, so I'm sure he was having a lot of mixed feelings getting back into hunting.  Avenging Jessica's death, being chief among them.  And I think Dean also carried a bit of resentment for the fact that Sam left to go to school.  All in all, I find their interaction to be pretty normal, considering.

I do like these early episodes though.  They definitely had a different feel than in later years.  I'm sure it's in the way they were filmed, lighting, etc., but it really worked.

Ah... the one that generated the Ackles' Ass equation. Overall pretty funny. In terms of being a well-oiled machine, I think this episode did a good job of showing they really are not there yet.  Sam didn't know Dean was afraid of flying. He also was stunned to find out his father spoke highly of him.  Other bits:

- Sam's reaction to Dean's EMF--- strikes me as 'little brother' stuff.  As in Sam sees Dean as the tough big brother, he doesn't even consider that Dean's feeling would be hurt because Dean is impervious to hurt (distorted sibling view at this stage).

- Sam telling him Christo. Not a well-oiled team yet.

I don't think Sam was trying to hurt Dean, but I think Sam's view of Dean is out of date. Remember in the Pilot he was surprised Dean went on a hunt on his own.  It's pretty common for two people who used to be close to have these stops and starts as they come together again.  Your vision of who they are tends to stay in the same place as when you left them.  I think we are seeing more missteps on Sam's part because Dean's had more time in the field now and Sam is just not used to him.  Dean, OTOH, is pretty much leading the way and Sam is following.  So... that's like it used to be (I'm guessing).   

• Love 4
(edited)

Here's the why...

http://entirelyjensen.livejournal.com/451397.html

This all started when castiel posted the featured picture of Jensen's ass/spinal column in her LJ, and so I told her I'd figure out the equation to the curve to Jensen's ass (and she didn't believe I'd actually do it, lol). I posted this to my LJ yesterday, and lots of people there wanted me to cross-post it here, so here we go. :) The text below is copy/pasted from my LJ:

I said yesterday that I would figure out the equation to Jensen Ackles' ass (hereby referred to as THE ACKLES ASS EQUATION), and now I've got it! I thought about explaining how I derived this equation, but figured not enough of you care to follow, so I won't waste anyone's time (but if you want me to explain it to you, feel free to ask).

I typed that exactly as you would enter it into a graphing calculator (since I'm betting not many of you want to graph it by hand if you want to graph it at all). I'm using a TI-83 Plus, btw. Now go to your 'window' options and set Xmin to 1 and Xmax to 10 or 11 so that you can narrow down your domain and you don't get the infinite curves that come with a sine function, and make sure your Ymax is set to something higher than 10, and there ya have JENSEN ACKLES' ASS.

assequation.jpg

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1
On 08/06/2014 at 6:18 PM, DittyDotDot said:

I have long maintained that Dean is a genius, just differently than Sam. Dean makes connections and problem solves and such whereas Sam is more the book-learned smart.

yes, agreed. the winchesters throughout the seasons (at least in what i'm seeing from all the way up to S3) have always been seen as The Winchesters, like they were legendary in their hunting skills. that being said john was almost certainly top class in his hunting and so are his sons. i feel like sam doesn't get enough credit for his ability to hunt as well as dean because he's constantly getting into trouble, but he really is a freaking awesome (and even badass at times) hunter. the thing is that because dean spent more time with his father - not just when sam left but as children because sam was younger and needed to be protected more than trained to hunt - so he got much more of the action and understanding of the hunting game his father taught him. so for all the jokes on his intelligence and all, he really can think. he really can make split second decisions and know how to be on his toes. i guess what i am trying to say is that sam is an extremely capable hunter, but dean is OG? 

On 09/06/2014 at 8:14 AM, DittyDotDot said:

I also always assumed that even though John had been terrified to let Sam go to college, he still was a proud parent--in his own fucked-up way--and couldn't help but spill the beans a bit, paranoid or not.  I think it was just meant show that Sam was never seen as the embarrassment to his family as he thought he had been. So much of Sam's anger toward his Dad is that he felt that no matter what he did it would never be good enough for John.  When in reality, John was just a terrified parent that didn't know how to express that and made a mess of it in the end. I don't know, but S1 John still was sympathetic-ish to me. Minus the disappearing without a word to let his kids know he's alright even though he knew they were worried and looking for him, but could find the time call to send them on random hunts just for shits and giggles part. (No, I don't think that's exactly a contradiction--just try spending one day in this head of mine and you would lose all sense of reality too!)

i never understood the hate that john had gotten. yes he hurt his sons but he didn't mean to. yes he made some bad choices but again he didn't mean to. none of the things that hurt him and the others around him were in malice or harmful intent so i don't get it. he abandoned his sons because he loved them. he always, always wanted a better and normal life for them. now if and when sam and dean both have their own battles and problems with their dad that's up to them; we don't know them like they do. that's their problem and their business, so they can feel whatever they want. but in the end they still love him. and that's how it is for me. he made a lot of mistakes but i'm not going to hang him for it.

On 13/06/2014 at 6:32 PM, catrox14 said:

According to Supernatural Wiki:

Phantom Traveler, Dean's cell phone number is given: 1-866-907-3235, and is of now not active. If you phoned the number early in the season, the following messages (spoken by Jensen Ackles) would play:

Message 1: "This is Dean Winchester. If this is an emergency, leave a message. If you're calling about 11-2-83, please page me with your coordinates."

Message 2: "Dad, we really need to hear from you. Leave me a message, text me, check your jwinchester1246 gmail. Anything. We have new info."

the things i would do to get a chance to work that number again to hear Dean Winchester talk into my ear...

------

i feel like the dean in boxers and bedhair scene is very overlooked. it was sexy seeing him in that split second scene with him looking fit as hell in those black boxers, but it suddenly turned adorable with him arguing with his brother about how brave he was in his pillow tossed hair. it's like a one and a half, around 2 minute scene but it's one of the best in the whole series.

speaking of adorable, he looked that way when he was hesitant on voicing his aviophobia. it's only the 4th episode and we soon see a crack in the tough guy look dean puts out, it made me laugh out loud but i had to keep it quiet because i was looking at this at like 2 in the morning.

i watched this again with my mother because she jumped on the SPN train in mid S2, and i have to say rewatching the dean-in-boxers scene really awakened me to how many times sam gives dean food (especially donuts). in the shot when we see him for the first time we see him holding the donuts and coffee. i don't know about everyone else but i assumed the donuts was for dean and the coffee was for him. but instead he gives both to dean when he sits on the opposite bed. then it made me think of how many other times sam gives dean as just a means for a debtless favor. that's pretty sweet of him.

• Love 2

This episode was sort if fun and final destination-y. I liked the claustrophobic feel of the plane. The actual resolution, and particularly convincing the co-pilot to come to the back, seemed a bit unrealistic, but I will forgive the writers because the resulting drama was pretty great.

15 minutes ago, The Companion said:

This episode was sort if fun and final destination-y. I liked the claustrophobic feel of the plane. The actual resolution, and particularly convincing the co-pilot to come to the back, seemed a bit unrealistic, but I will forgive the writers because the resulting drama was pretty great.

If you think them convincing the pilot to come to the back was stretching the limits if believability, I'm afraid you're in for a very long  14 1/2 more seasons. LOL!  Welcome.  🙂

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

If you think them convincing the pilot to come to the back was stretching the limits if believability, I'm afraid you're in for a very long  14 1/2 more seasons. LOL!  Welcome.  🙂

Ha! Well I like my shows about mythical creatures firmly based in reality, so . . . .

Kidding. I don't mind a bit of hand waving. 12 episodes in, I see that some resolutions seem a bit more rushed than others. I was probably okay with not watching a ton of social engineering to get the co pilot to the back.

• Love 1

There's a funny backstory on this one. This was the first time the boys were wearing suits as NSA guys to get into the warehouse with the plane parts. They got the suits tailored in a shop in Vancouver and decided to stand as mannequins in the front window. A passerby recognized Jensen from his previous roles (because this was filmed before the Pilot premiered) and got all excited to see him. The guys cracked up and then had to leave.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 11/3/2019 at 12:51 AM, The Companion said:

nd particularly convincing the co-pilot to come to the back, seemed a bit unrealistic, but I will forgive the writers because the resulting drama was pretty great

But, he was possessed, and as such not actually a co-pilot and a little iffy on protocol.  Since he had a couple minutes to kill before making the plane go down, well why not?

• LOL 1
22 minutes ago, Katy M said:

But, he was possessed, and as such not actually a co-pilot and a little iffy on protocol.  Since he had a couple minutes to kill before making the plane go down, well why not?

Even demons get bored. Who doesn't look for a little distraction at work. A little Facebook before turning in that report, a little side trip before crashing the plane. Same same. Lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 1