Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Rep Sheet Roundup: ROAR’s Ivy Cavic Joins Digital Talent Management Firm Rare Global
6:00 AM PDT 4/30/2018 by Rebecca Sun
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rep-sheet-roundup-roar-s-ivy-cavic-joins-digital-talent-management-firm-rare-global-1106690

Who got signed, promoted, hired or fired? The Hollywood Reporter’s Rep Sheet rounds up the week in representation news. To submit announcements for consideration, contact rebecca.sun@thr.com.
More than Girl Friday
Arrow star Emily Bett Rickards has signed with Persona PR. She has played fan favorite Felicity Smoak since the third episode of the CW superhero drama, now in its sixth season.

• Love 1

David Cassidy's Death Brought His Family 'Back Together,' Says Daughter Katie:

Five months after his death, Katie Cassidy is opening up about the loss of her father David Cassidy.

“Obviously, it’s been a tough year,” Katie, 31, told PEOPLE on Friday. “That’s a given. But if anything, I have to say, I always try and look for some sort of silver lining in situations like that — and I guess it’s nice that it really brought my family together.”

“Even though the loss of my father was hard, it really brought my uncles, myself and my brother back together,” added the Arrow star. “I think that’s the silver lining.”

The Partridge Family star died of organ failure on Nov. 21 at the age of 67. He had been in intensive care since he was hospitalized for liver and kidney failure the week prior. But according to Katie, his legacy lives in on in her day-to-day life.

“He left me with really great advice. He was like: ‘Don’t ever stop going to class. That’s where you should put your money,’ ” said Katie. “And that’s what I do, and I’ve been able to go from nothing to where I am today and it’s built confidence and self-esteem.”

It was Katie’s “hard work pays off” attitude that led her to partner with Capital One to launch the company’s Financial Superpower Experience tied to National Superhero Day on Saturday. The experience — a four-paged comic of high-tech posters, developed by animation and superhero industry veterans — aims to delve into the strengths, weaknesses, struggles and goals of financial management in a fun, interactive way.

While discussing the partnership at the Capital One Flagship in Manhattan’s Union Square, Katie — who grew up estranged from her father and was raised by her mother, former model Sherry Williams, and her stepfather, Richard Benedon — pointed out that many fans might not realize that her success is self-made. (As previously reported, Cassidy left $150,000 worth of assets to his only son, Beau, 27, and granted his music memorabilia to his three half-siblings. Katie was left out of the will, though it’s important to note that it was drafted in 2004 and the father-daughter duo had an up-and-down relationship.)

“I feel like there’s this preconceived notion that I come from a family of wealth and celebrity, the Cassidys, so I think people have this misconception of myself when the reality is that I actually didn’t grow up with my biological father,” she said. “I didn’t know him until I was in fourth grade, and then he became a good friend of mine. But I grew up with my mom and my stepdad and my sisters.”

When she turned 17, Katie told her mom and stepfather that she wanted to pursue acting professionally.

“They basically said: ‘You’re on your own. We encourage you to do so, but just so you know, we’re not going to pay your way,’ ” she said. “So I saved up enough money — not much — but enough to move out at 18. I moved out of my parents’ house on my own to this teeny little apartment where I could barely afford rent. In fact, I had to call my mom once and had to ask for groceries because I couldn’t afford it.”

“The money I actually ended up earning, not immediately at first, but I put it towards acting classes, studying and just trying to further my career,” she explained. “[People] have this assumption that I come from something that I don’t. Biologically, yes, and I love my uncles and my dad. … But I had to ask my mom for groceries, learn how to balance a checkbook on my own, set financial goals and figure out a way to achieve them.”

Katie’s financial mentor growing up was her grandmother, whom she lovingly refers to as her “financial superhero.”

“She’s no longer with us, sadly, but she was my rock — everything,” she said. “She taught me at a really young age about being frugal and saving money. She was so big on saving up to buy a house. I loved how encouraging and positive she was, and in a way, this partnership kind of makes me feel like I’m honoring her.”

“At some point in our lives, we’re all struggling and trying to figure out how to make it,” she continued. “And that’s where this marriage with Capital One came in, because they found out I wasn’t served anything on a silver platter. I had to work for it. I had to struggle. My parents weren’t like: ‘Hi, here’s a trust fund.’ They were like: ‘Hi, go build some character and some strength.’ ”

“At 17, I’m sure I was pissed, but now I’m grateful,” she added. “Hard work pays off. And that’s why every check I ever got I put towards acting class to better myself, because you can’t stop learning. You can always continuously learn and I always want to be evolving with my craft. If you have goals and dreams, you’ve got to work at them. And in time, things will come into fruition.”

Someone involved in this should've thought about how this story about her father's death and her family dealing with it transitioning to a Capital One ad comes off, LOL.

• Love 8

Yeah, it's bizarre. But I'm glad for her that it sounds like she and her father were at peace when he died and that it brought her closer to her family. That works better as a separate story, though.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

Yeah, it's bizarre. But I'm glad for her that it sounds like she and her father were at peace when he died and that it brought her closer to her family. That works better as a separate story, though.

I agree. If they were going to promo the Capital One stuff in there it would've been better to leave out the part about her father's death bringing the family together and just make it about the life advice he gave her. Although that might not have brought in the clicks. 

• Love 2

I would have left out the part where her dad only had $150,000 to give his son.

Is her mother famous?  I always see her referred to as "former model Sherry Williams" and I think I should know her but I don't.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I would have left out the part where her dad only had $150,000 to give his son.

Is her mother famous?  I always see her referred to as "former model Sherry Williams" and I think I should know her but I don't.

Omg so it's not just me who thought it was weird the dad only had $150,000 left to give his son.  I always assumed the dad was a lot wealthier than that. 

He had been sick for a long time - who knows what his insurance situation was. Even if you do have insurance medical care gets ridiculously expensive, especially if you get to the point of organ failure and needing transplants. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Omg so it's not just me who thought it was weird the dad only had $150,000 left to give his son.  I always assumed the dad was a lot wealthier than that. 

Nah. He had major issues and probably blew most of his money on a variety of things and literally peaked as a teen heart throb with jobs here and there. Just like majority of the Brady Bunch are average.

24 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Not really. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Primal Slayer said:

Nah. He had major issues and probably blew most of his money on a variety of things and literally peaked as a teen heart throb with jobs here and there. Just like majority of the Brady Bunch are average.

Ahh that makes sense! Their cost of living is probably higher than ours. He seemed fairly well known so I assumed he had at least millions stashed away! 

That's such a weird article and yeah, the mention about getting left out of the will is hella awkward especially as she's trying to sell financial management (or maybe it's appropriate, I don't know, LOL). It's also bizarre KC who in that also-weird article about wanting to be her own person but spilled about almost getting picked up by Prince Harry would choose to do an interview about financial management that mentions her (formerly) famous dad. Should have just stuck with the superhero theme. 

It's People magazine lol, they are going to add as much celebrity scoop in the interview as they can just as comicbook.com had her bringing up Black Sirens financials lol. They need a good juicy headline.

Katie Cassidy is an open book. The Arrow star spoke candidly about her complicated relationship with her late father, David Cassidy, and shared details of her upcoming wedding to her fiancé, Matthew Rodgers, in an exclusive interview with Us Weekly.

“I didn’t meet my father until I was in the fourth grade,” The Flash alum, 31, admitted to Us while making an appearance at Capital One’s flagship location in New York City. “The world doesn’t know that. Not because I’m hiding it, it just hasn’t been discussed. (The Partridge Family actor died in November after a recent dementia diagnosis and a long battle with substance abuse. He was 67.) “My biological father and I had a really good relationship at one point. He was one of my close friends and gave me wonderful advice.”

Katie continued: “My dad was a wonderful, wonderful person. Sadly, he had some demons. There is a silver lining in all of that. You live and learn and it has brought my family closer together so I’m grateful for that.”

The blonde beauty, who says she focuses on the “positivity” in her life, couldn’t help but beam with excitement while sharing details of her upcoming nuptials. “I feel like I’m going to throw up,” the California native joked to Us. “It is really scary. I think it’s a natural feeling to have nerves when it comes to a wedding. I’m excited. It’s pretty amazing when you find your person and Matthew is my person.”

The star, who mentioned the couple will say “I do” in a beachfront ceremony, will sport three different dresses on her special day. “One [dress] is a hybrid that turns into another dress and then there is a third. I just got my shoes and they are fierce as f—k! Excuse me for saying that. They are so good!”

The joy of wedding planning does not come without its challenges. Cassidy, who has entrusted the help of a wedding planner to stay on budget, is partnering with Capital One to encourage people to feel more comfortable talking about money and to reach their financial goals.

Of her personal finances, the actress added: “I just think people judge before they know. I think that’s probably why finances is a hard topic because people are afraid to be judged. And people do judge too soon. They don’t know me. They don’t know what I’ve been through. I know that I’m an actor and that I’m a celebrity … but I’m a human like everyone else.”

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/katie-cassidy-talks-late-father-david-cassidy-wedding-plans/

(edited)

Maybe it's because I don't read celebrity magazines like People and Us Weekly a lot, but is anyone else weirded out by this press run? Or is it a sponsored ad?  I know stealth advertising is a thing, but seeing a the name of a big bank getting crammed into puff pieces is jarring. 

I like how she has a soundbyte appropriate for each publication's target audience. US Weekly loves weddings, so the Capitol One mention segues to discussion of her wedding plans. People Magazine is read by older folks who are familiar with David Cassidy and wills and stuff, so that's where the Capitol One mention is made.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 10
14 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Maybe it's because I don't read celebrity magazines like People and Us Weekly a lot, but is anyone else weirded out by this press run? Or is it a sponsored ad?  I know stealth advertising is a thing, but seeing Capitol One mentions getting crammed into puff pieces is jarring. 

It's sponsored. Capitol One set up all the press interviews. I'm actually surprised they went this big with the promotion.

I wouldn't mind Capital One getting crammed into puff pieces if the puff pieces weren't about her dead dad. I know David Cassidy is a much bigger name so I totally get them milking it for clicks, but the subject matter of the rest of the story doesn't go together. Like, ideally these stories would be focused on her upcoming wedding and budgeting for that - it'd be an easier, more tasteful way of working in the advertisement. 

• Love 12

It’s tacky and cringy the way they are using David Cassidy as the click bait. They can’t make it more obvious that’s how they pitched KC and the campaign. 

• Love 7

Including the bit about three dresses for one night in a piece about fiscal responsibility is a weird choice. Her wearing the dresses isn’t the problem, but the writer should have framed it better. Like, I am sooo responsible with money I now get to afford the wedding I want or something.

• Love 7

Shifting Allegiances - Arrow Music Notes 6x20
Austencello   May 1, 2018
https://austencello.tumblr.com/post/173500189984/shifting-allegiances-arrow-music-notes-6x20

Oliver briefly pays the Bratva a visit in Russia to pay a debt and lift the exile for Anatoly.  As he speaks to the Pahkan, the cimbalom (an eastern European hammered dulcimer) begins to play.  This is the instrument for the Russian Bratva since 2x06 (”Optimist”) and particularly with Anatoly in the Season 5 Flashbacks.
All the members of the team watch his arrest on their various TVs as the second part of “Not Black or White” (4x23) plays.  This first played as Oliver became mayor, swearing to protect the city.  He chose to stay and protect the city as mayor and the Green Arrow even when his team left.  Now the city has turned on him, prepared to incarcerate him for being the Green Arrow, a vigilante and a murderer.
- I’m starting to wonder if the new team/bunker has their own electronic sound.  They had one appear several times in this episode and I believe it has been used before in their new lair.  Guess I’ll have to go back and pay attention to that!

(edited)

Fame with fine wine at Nocking Point Wines & Arrow
Alfredo Llanos by Alfredo Llanos    | @ | May 1, 2018 10:58 am
http://fox41yakima.com/fame-with-fine-wine-at-nocking-point-wines-arrow/

"I love Walla Walla,” said Stephen Amell, co-founder of Nocking Point Wines & Arrow. “Yeah, we really do.”

There are multiple wineries in Walla Walla, so what makes Nocking Point so different?

Maybe it’s because they make really good wine… or the fact that a Hollywood star is the co-owner. Stephen Amell, known for his role on the CW show, Arrow, joined forces with his friend, Andrew Harding, back in 2012. Harding, being a Walla Walla native, knew this was the place for them to plant their roots.
The two now live in LA, but that doesn’t mean they are the hands-off kind of owners. They do whatever they can to stay involved and don’t see the miles between the winery and them as a disadvantage.

Although Amell’s success has brought fans to the winery, he believes that Nocking Point has been attracting customers on its own.

“We’ve sort of run the course of people that are into the winery because they are into Arrow or they’re into something that I’ve done,” Amell said. “We are starting to branch out and tapping into people that are just wine fans and wine connoisseurs. I think that right now we are moving in the direction of finding customers that stay loyal to the brand because brand and not necessarily because of me.”

Now, several years later, the company is ready to expand within the next year… bringing more celebrities and more wine.

“Even though the brand has grown has a lot, I feel like we are now good ambassadors for Walla Walla and for wineries here,” said Amell. “We really haven’t changed our approach from 2013. Same idea – we’ve just gotten bigger.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)
14 hours ago, lemotomato said:

I know it's just entertainment "journalism", but that makes me kind of sad for journalism.

That's not even entertainment journalism. Those are called "advertorials" -- literally advertising editorials. They're USUALLY not written by folks in the newsrooms but folks in advertising. Unfortunately, these days, the lines are blurrier than usual.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 9
(edited)
Spoiler

Sad IMO but not surprising.  

Details on Blackthorne's next TV role are expected to be announced shortly.

Sounds like he has another gig already in place. Still wonder which came first, him wanting to go or the show writing him off.  

Edited by BkWurm1
Now that I have the spoiler tags up, I can't seem to undo them, lol, but no, not a spoiler I guess. :D
(edited)

Happy Arrowversary: ‘Underneath’
Brianna Martinez   May 3, 2018
http://fanfest.com/2018/05/03/happy-arrowversary-underneath/

It’s been a year since one of the best episodes of season five aired, “Underneath.”

The 20th episode of Arrow season five essentially pulls together some of my favorite aspects of the show. It’s always great when the show takes the time to examine Oliver’s headspace (a bit) and when the hour really shows the work when it comes to character relationships.

It was a huge episode for Olicity as we got to see them finally work through things, both in present day and those flashbacks, that was not exactly addressed over a large part of season five. Oliver and Felicity got to argue and actually talk about what stood in their way. The hour slowed things down enough to really develop this aspect which made me love it more.
The flashbacks also filled in a few blanks about where Oliver and Felicity were during their time between season four and season five, especially considering their steamy moment in the bunker after essentially being parent trapped by Curtis and sharing wine, Chinese food, and a salmon ladder lesson.

One of the highlights of the hour is how much insight we get into not only the Olicity relationship but Oliver’s frame of mind. Felicity wants to know why he doesn’t back her play (and in turn wants to discuss what attributed to their break up) and it’s in the moments when he’s about to pass out that we get closest to getting to his issues.
Oliver heartbreakingly tells Felicity that he apologizes for what happened and that it’s not that he doesn’t trust her, it’s that he doesn’t trust himself especially after dealing with the trauma that Adrian Chase inflicted on him.
We also get treated to a fantastic OTA moment as Diggle goes down the air shaft to save his best friends. It’s an OTA stunt that really symbolizes the kind of bond they have. They are always willing to do what they have to in order to save each other.
“Underneath” was an episode that stood out also because this is one of those rare episodes that Oliver (Stephen Amell) spends every scene in the episode with the same character, Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards).

Oliver-5.20-source-wildirish-tumblr.gif  

OTA-5.20-source-wildirish-tumblr.gif 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 11
(edited)
Ok, but this was clearly a coordinated effort because the TV Line, THR, EW and Variety stories all came out within a half hour of each other so I think his anger is misplaced. This came from CW publicity or PB reps:

Also: 

Edited by Trisha
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Trisha said:
Ok, but this was clearly a coordinated effort because the TV Line, THR, EW and Variety stories all came out within a half hour of each other so I think his anger is misplaced. This came from CW publicity or PB reps:

Who broke the news? I'm wondering if THR or Variety first had it but TV Line, EW and the others had articles prepped to push once it broke. I do agree the anger seems misplaced. To me it came across as the news about PB's new gig was going to come out and the sites didn't want to look stupid.

24 minutes ago, Trisha said:

Also: 

Go to sleep Amell.

• Love 2
(edited)

EW reviewer gave 621 a grade of C+...

Arrow recap: The People v. Oliver Queen
CHANCELLOR AGARD May 03, 2018 at 11:46 PM EDT
http://ew.com/recap/arrow-season-6-episode-21/

It might be time to prohibit the current batch of superhero shows from going to court. Marvel’s Daredevil stumbled when it went all American Crime Story on us in season 2 with the trial of Frank Castle; Barry Allen’s trial on The Flash was a bore; and Arrow‘s previous trips to the courtroom haven’t been its most successful hours (even though I’ll admit I do enjoy season 2’s “State v. Queen” because it marks the return of John Barrowman). Unfortunately, Arrow‘s latest attempt at becoming a courtroom drama in tonight’s “Docket No. 11-19-41-73” was frustrating, mostly boring, and lacked any kind of substance, which is disappointing because it could’ve worked.
After all of that excitement, it’s now up to the jury to deliberate. While that happens, Oliver has a very touching moment with William where he assures him that Felicity will raise him to become a great man if he ends up going to jail. Even though I find William himself rather annoying, I do like seeing Oliver in father mode, and Stephen Amell does a great job of portraying that softer side of Oliver.

... Upon learning of his role in freeing him, Oliver pays Rene a visit, and both men apologize for their past transgressions (for the record, Rene is the one who screwed up the most here).
I found this episode frustrating for two specific reasons. First, Arrow never works when it goes to the courtroom. This show thrives on forward momentum, exciting action, and being as pulpy as possible, and slowing things down for a trial undercuts all of that. The worst part of it all is that writers know that the show is never at its best when it does trials. Executive producer Marc Guggenheim admitted as much when Laurel was killed off in season 4. “But the truth is — and bear in mind, this is the lawyer/legal writer in me speaking — every time we’ve tried to set scenes in a courtroom, I don’t think it’s always been the strongest element of the show,” said Guggenheim in an interview with TVLine in 2016. “It has nothing to do with the directors, the actors or anything. The show is just not built for that, and I feel like every time we do it, it shows…and when we do it the scenes always fall flat for some reason.” If you know this doesn’t work for the show, then why do it?

Secondly, I think the premise of the episode — Oliver going on trial for being the Green Arrow — would’ve worked so much better if it happened last season. With a trial like this, the most obvious move would’ve been to use the trial as a way to interrogate Oliver’s past sins — which is what the very excellent season 5 was all about. The Oliver here has already dealt with all of this and so there wasn’t much left for this episode to do. That being said, the writers could’ve found ways to make it even more dramatic and over-the-top, because it still felt like the episode was just going through the motions.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

A.V. Club reviewer gave 621 a grade of B...

Arrow tries to bounce back from a pretty bad storyline in a pretty solid episode
Allison Shoemaker  May 4, 2018
https://tv.avclub.com/arrow-tries-to-bounce-back-from-a-pretty-bad-storyline-1825765086

Let us say this of “Docket No. 11-19-41-73”: the people in it behave like people, the story has an arc, and I mostly understood what was happening and why. Those items alone make this one of the more soundly constructed episodes in Arrow’s frustrating sixth season.

In fact, it’s fairly easy to imagine this hour arriving near the end of a more successful season and working like gangbusters. The choices made by these characters might seem like the logical conclusions to season-long arcs, as opposed to wild leaps to reasonable places. An example: Watching Rene (Rick Gonzalez) prepare to cover for Oliver, only to be confronted by the terrifying specter of Diaz clutching his daughter by her tiny shoulders, would play a hell of a lot better had there been any consistency at all to his arc this season, had the Rene who felt so remorseful about turning witness on Oliver shown his face even once since the first Team Arrow/Team Not-Arrow fallout.
There’s much about this hour, with a teleplay credited to Ubah Mohamed and Tyron B. Carter, that plays like that. It’s an episode that works better than it should because it’s well-made, and because the characters behave in ways that make sense; if more of the season had been well-made and logical, then “Docket” would likely have been, if not a triumph, at least a satisfying success.

Instead, it’s a definite but muted success, almost a what-if of an episode: What if Cayden James were still the Big Bad? What if Not-Laurel (or Fauxrel, as a commenter suggested) had been given a more satisfying, self-aware story? What if the splintering of Team Arrow had actually been a bad situation handled poorly by all parties, as opposed to a shitshow in which the points-of-view and grievances of those involved hadn’t shifted whenever it was narratively convenient? It’s unfair to expect one hour to make up for those weighty problems, but it’s also something intended as a compliment. “Docket No. 11-19-41-73” feels like it belongs to a much better season.
But what really makes that sequence a winner is something the episode does that so many of its fellows have ignored. It acknowledges the emotional realities and personal history at work, allowing the camera to linger on Oliver (Stephen Amell) as bewilderment, amazement, grief, and palpable longing for his old friend play across his face. To be frank, it’s one of Amell’s better moments in this or any season, a subtle, honest reaction that’s steeped in the show’s history and requires no explanation. Most of season six’s storylines haven’t acknowledged what happened last week. This one reached back years.
I speak, of course, of time. It’s true here and was true on The Flash earlier this season as well: What’s the reason for making these trials so brief as to be laughably implausible for reasons beyond the usual? A longer trial—not in minutes on-screen, but in actual time lived for the characters—would likely have amplified the tension and stakes, not lessened them. Imagine how Felicity and Oliver’s scenes would play if their scenes were there only moments together over the course of weeks, if William was growing more and more anxious while his Dad was behind bars, if Team Not-Arrow had time to stew. It’s a TV show! The trial could last months and months, with the odd “three weeks later” and some additional facial hair used to show the passage of time.
So, Felicity is totally getting arrested for perjury, right? That had to be a set-up.
Felicity is the best liar on Team Arrow by a mile.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5
(edited)

ARROW: "DOCKET NO. 11-19-41-73" REVIEW
BY JESSE SCHEEDEN   3 MAY 2018
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/05/04/arrow-docket-no-11-19-41-73-review?abthid=5aebce609826625a0c000988

Arrow reached what is arguably one of the most important points in the show’s six-year history tonight. Oliver Queen has been outed as the Green Arrow and is now fighting for his freedom in the courtroom. But as with the previous time Ollie dealt with secret identity issues, there’s a sense that the series didn’t go as far as it could have with this plot development. Rather than force Ollie to truly take responsibility for his vigilante lifestyle, this episode forced another happy, contrived ending that restores the status quo.
The courtroom drama also resulted in some strong performances from a variety of cast members. Naturally, Stephen Amell was in fine form this week, with Ollie cycling through a number of emotions a she confronted and eventually accepted what seemed to be his inevitable fate. Even better than that, however, was seeing Ollie confronted with the sight of the late Tommy Merlyn. Even though Ollie knew who was really underneath that mask, it’s clear he was haunted by the experience all the same. That made for a nice bit of silent, emotive acting from Amell.

I was also particularly impressed with Rick Gonzalez’s performance this week. This episode really feels like the culmination of Rene’s season-long arc, placing him in the impossible position of choosing between Ollie and his daughter. ...
This now marks the second time the series has made a big deal out of Ollie’s secret identity struggles, only to contrive a way to get him out of trouble. Ollie’s victory this week didn’t feel earned. Nor did it necessarily even feel deserved. Regardless of how much Ollie’s current woes may be the result of systemic corruption in Star City, the fact remains that he’s been breaking the law nightly for the past six years of his life. The prosecutor wasn’t wrong when she accused him of hiding behind others and failing to take responsibility for his crimes. Ollie let Roy take the fall in Season 3, and now he’s dragged Tommy’s name through the mud in order to clear his own. At several points it felt like this episode was building to that critical moment of realization where Ollie finally accepted responsibility and chose to tell the truth. But instead, he walked away scot free, and a judge was murdered as a result.
I just wish the writers had followed this storyline to its full and logical conclusion. And just like with the secret identity storyline in Season 3, this half-hearted attempt makes it that much more difficult for the series to explore Ollie’s secret identity struggles in the future. He’s now been accused and cleared of being a vigilante twice. I’m not sure there’s room for a third attempt. There’s too much wasted potential here. But there’s always a chance Diaz still has another card to play before the end of the season.

I also had a very mixed reaction to Laurel’s character arc this week. On one hand, it’s nice to see her finally, definitive stand on the side of good and choose her father over Diaz. On the other, her constant flip-flopping over the course of the season still casts a shadow over the character. But at this point, the bigger issue is the abrupt way her arc has shifted from being about a villain choosing to be a better version of herself to a battered woman trying to escape an abusive relationship. She deserves better than that.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Arrow: Off the Hook
By Matt Ross May 3rd, 2018
https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/05/03/arrow-off-the-hook

Arrow is a superhero show. At the risk of sounding like a meatball, I want to see action, and I think most folks would agree (maybe). While I like seeing different angles and takes on our heroes, I don’t necessarily want to be drawn into a drama-filled snoozefest of legal jargon and a slow court proceeding. That’s why I was happy that the writers chose to move things along fairly quickly tonight and package everything up in about 45 minutes—again, if we’re really done here, which I think we are.

The episode seemed to move well and had some nice twists and turns. I had to laugh a bit during the intro, though. I mean that could possibly be the worst band of commandos (or whatever they are) that we’ve ever seen on TV. A small army wiped out by one man in broad daylight? Granted, it’s John, but they didn’t even come close to him.
Alas! Something I really enjoyed was that despite having anger towards Ollie, everyone went to bat for him.

Well…everyone except Rene…
Now let’s jump over to my favorite part of the episode: Christopher Chance. I thought it was an awesome plan to have him disguise himself as Merlin and fake being the Green Arrow. Truthfully, I didn’t really know how they would go about figuring out a way to get Ollie off the hook, but this ended up being a pretty solid way in my opinion. I just love the idea of that character and his abilities—there’s so much you can do with him, but they’ve used him sparingly throughout the series so far and that’s probably a good call.  

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Arrow Episode Guide: Season 6, Episode 21 - Docket No. 11-19-41-73
Starman   May 3, 2018
http://www.mygeekygeekyways.com/2018/05/arrow-episode-guide-season-6-episode-21.html

Rene's justification for suddenly wanting to help Oliver after being ready to see him die last week don't make a lot of sense, as Dinah points out. It would be far more believable for Rene to see he feels guilty for having betrayed Oliver (which he sort of hints at) than the wishy-washy "I still hate him, but I don't want to see him in prison" speech he gives.

Quentin tries to goad Black Siren into standing up to Diaz by saying that his Laurel is like Black Siren in that neither of them would tolerate being ordered around. This flies in the face of every bit of characterization we've seen of Black Siren so far, despite it being totally illogical that she should let a powerless punk like Diaz boss her around. The hell of it is Black Siren also has a point about Laurel having been kind of an idiot who got in way over her head and died because of it.

Reference is made to John Diggle's child being abducted at some point in the last four years.. Oliver abducted Lyla and left Baby Sara Diggle alone back in Season 3, but there is no story where either John Diggle Jr. or Sara Diggle was abducted. (Perhaps this was a change caused by Flashpoint?)
There's so much irony to Diaz criticizing Black Siren for being an unconvincing actress.

Again, there's no reason for Black Siren NOT to kill Diaz once she has her breath and some distance.
Granting that it's possible for Diaz to have connections that let him get a hold of CIA records, how on Earth will they explain Laurel Lance - captive Assistant DA for two years - having access to those kind of records legally?

Again, we have to wonder why ARGUS isn't brought in to testify that "Laurel Lance" is a wanted fugitive from a parallel Earth after there's a threat of CIA files being turned in. It's not like the trial could get any more convoluted or crazy with the prosecution claiming that a master of disguise is impersonating a dead man to protect a superhero mayor's secret identity.
Technically. since Oliver is being tried in a criminal court, Jean Loring should be requesting a Judgement of Acquittal rather than a Judgement Notwithstanding Verdict. They amount to the same thing, but a Judgement Notwithstanding Verdict is used in civil court cases.

Why doesn't Diaz kill Black Siren for turning against him once he has her powers neutralized?
Brief though it is, it's nice to see Colin Donnell smiling his way through a performance as "Tommy".

Emily Bett Rickards hasn't been given that much to do this season, but she turns in a powerfully understated performance in this episode even though she has little to do but be the dotting wife. Still, she gets some very powerful speeches.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
(edited)

OLIVER GOES ON TRIAL AND TOMMY RETURNS(?) IN THE LATEST ARROW
Trent Moore   May 3, 2018
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/oliver-goes-on-trial-and-tommy-returns-in-the-latest-arrow

You have to wonder just how much they plan it, but both Flash and Arrow have featured courtroom episodes this year — and both of them were resolved in pretty much the same way. On Flash, Dibny face-swapped as the late Clifford Devoe to get Barry out of jail. It seemed clever at the time, but the Arrowverse is returning to the well a bit too often. This week’s Arrow saw our old pal Christopher Chance (aka the Human Target) shows up in a jaw-dropping cameo as the late Tommy Merlyn to claim he’s actually been the Green Arrow all along. It was fairly easy to see coming, sure (especially after that Flash episode just a month or so ago), but it’s still so darn fun to see Colin Donnell back on this show that you can forgive it.

With Diaz effectively owning the judge and jury, Oliver’s trial was essentially glorified theater. Even a literal confession from a masked superhero falling through the ceiling couldn’t get the guy a bit of reasonable doubt. It made for a nice change of pace to send the action to the courtroom for a week, plus we got to see Donnell dress up as the Green Arrow, but more than anything this was a showcase for just how deeply corrupt the institutions of Star City have become. It took Christopher Chance literally replacing the judge to overrule the jury’s verdict to get Oliver back home to Felicity and William. 
*Easter egg alert: The episode’s title, “Docket No. 11-19-41-73,” was a not-so-subtle nod to the comic origins of the Green Arrow. The character first debuted in the November 19, 1941 issue of More Fun Comics. Which issue, you ask? No. 73. Well played, episode naming team.
*Though the various teams have been fractured over the past few weeks, it seems everyone comes together with Oliver’s life on the line. New Team Arrow tried to protect him in court, while Diggle goes Rambo to bring Chance in for the ruse. Seeing Oliver and Rene finally make up in the closing moments was a good note to end on, because there’s no doubt this team vs. team story is really wearing thin. Here’s hoping that’s resolved or at least sidelined as the show heads into the offseason and gears up for Year 7.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Arrow, ‘Docket No. 11-19-41-73’: A Toothless Courtroom Diversion Can’t Save This Season
BY CRAIG WACK · MAY 4, 2018
http://oohlo.com/2018/05/04/arrow-docket-no-11-19-41-73-toothless-courtroom-diversion-cant-save-this-season/

As someone who, like Curtis, has seen every episode of Law & Order, I too appreciate a good courtroom drama, however a TV court case needs something at stake to be effective. Are we really expected to think that Ollie was going to be thrown into prison for the final two episodes of this season? That would be a ballsy choice at this point, but it’s hard to think the show would have Ollie cooling his heels in prison, while the final events of the season unfold. Without stakes, all that’s left is a lot of sizzle provided by a bunch of Perry Mason meets comic books plot twists. Here’s everything you need to know about the latest episode of Arrow:
What’s the scoop: So, you are telling me that a group of people who, an episode or two ago literally wouldn’t cross the street to help Oliver Queen if he were on fire, are now willing to commit perjury for him without a second thought? Here we are, with Diggle, Dinah and Rene all ready to take the stand to lie and say Oliver isn’t the Green Arrow. Is it too much to make Oliver worry about how his ex-teammates might testify as a consequence of their falling out? Also, why didn’t Oliver’s defense team try to get the lead prosecutor disqualified on the grounds that she’s the leader of HYDRA?
Sex and the Olicity: With Oliver on trial, there wasn’t much time for makeouts, but at least Ollie and Felicity shared a little bit of screen time together as they discussed the way the case was going. Also, big ups to William’s nanny for figuring out the truth.
Last impressions:  As I had mentioned previously, The Flash did a similar trial of Barry Allen earlier this season (with an emphasis on earlier). Lack of knowledge about evidence and legal procedure notwithstanding, the trail and its aftermath worked there, because there was time for Barry to go to jail and a few episodes later, be exonerated. There was actual doubt about if he would be found guilty or innocent. At the beginning of Arrow’s trial, I had no doubts Oliver would walk out of the courtroom a free man, one way or the other. Without that danger looming over Oliver’s head and the rest of cast’s change of heart about Ollie’s relative jerkiness, the bulk of this episode felt like an exercise in seeing how many courtroom twists they could jam into one episode (Perjury!, Taking the fifth!, Witness intimidation!, Surprise witness!, Key prosecution witness recanting on the stand!, Corrupt judge!, Corrupt judge not corrupt!). All we’re left with is Ollie mending fences with New Team Arrow (specifically Rene), and Diaz’s unchecked rage. Since “kill em all” appears to be Diaz’s default setting, why did he try this tack in the first place? We would have a better idea if our villain were well-rendered; instead, we’re just waiting out the final episodes, hoping the characters we care most about manage to survive.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

TV Review: ‘Arrow: Docket No. 11-19-41-73’ (Season 6 Episode 21)
MAY 4TH, 2018 BY NICHOLAS GRAFF
http://sciencefiction.com/2018/05/04/tv-review-arrow-docket-no-11-19-41-73/

So this week’s ‘Arrow’ was full of surprises, first and foremost being it was a lot quieter than I expected for the 3rd to the last episode of the season. Yet there was still plenty going on and I did not find myself bored, which is a good sign. I’m just curious to see how they follow through with the season arc now that they got Oliver’s trial over with so early. But I’m jumping ahead.

... Sadly for the cause, Diaz has a bad-ass DA brought in that rarely loses cases, which seems a bit like overkill since Diaz already has the judge in his pocket.  Dinah stays loyal on the stand, but when questioned about the murder of a drug lord in Central City, she pleads the 5th as to not incriminate herself, making her whole testimony suspect, hurting Oliver’s case even more. Felicity cannot help Oliver as her whole marriage to him is questioned as being a “convenient” act to ensure she is not force to testify against him, though she assures the courtroom that she has been in love with Oliver for 6 years (a fact that we all know to be true)....
Oliver admits to his lawyer that he really is the vigilante (an odd move) but also tells her that he won’t make a plea as he wants to one day leave behind the Green Arrow and live a normal life – something we had never heard him say before. ...
With the news that Quentin will not be back for Season 7, I’m guessing he is going to die in the Season finale and that will be the final nail in the coffin of evil Laurel. She will be a member of Team Arrow in Season 7.

Edited by tv echo
24 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

In a rather quick turnaround....Colton Haynes is now a single man..

Aww, that's sad. He's had a rough time recently so I hope he has a good support system. 

• Love 2
(edited)

‘ARROW’ 6×21 REVIEW: THE JUDGEMENT OF OLIVER QUEEN
Posted on May 4, 2018 By Alyssa Barbieri
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-6x21-review-the-judgement-of-oliver-queen/

For the life of me I cannot figure out what forces people to hate on Oliver Queen. Whether it’s worthless characters like Rene, Curtis, and Dinah or fans of other DCTV shows, there always seems to be this stigma surrounding Oliver and this desire to hate on him and question his heroism.
I’d understand if his character was worthy of that constant vitriol. But all Oliver Queen has done is prove why he’s the heart of the DCTV universe. No, he’s not the most rah-rah hero or the the brightest or the one that everyone loves to love to protect, but Oliver is a true testament to what it means to be a hero.
Honestly, this was the best episode of Arrow in quite some time just because this episode actually focused on its hero, Oliver Queen, and not a boring, spineless villain or a team of so-called “heroes” that liked to throw the man, that gave them the very chance to be heroes, under the bus.

Aside from the obvious and infuriating aspects of Star City’s legal system, Diaz and the Newbies — making Oliver, Felicity, and Diggle “thank” them to some degree — “Docket No. 11-19-41-73” was the kind of Arrow episode that I crave consistently. An episode that starts with the characters and the story is built around them. An episode where heart is the central focus and not the action sequences. An episode where I’m reminded that there just might be some hope for season 7 (especially with Beth Schwartz taking over) if this can be executed right.
Is Oliver perfect? Hell no. And that’s what makes his hero’s journey compelling and satisfying (though it’s not without its head scratching moments.) Oliver is a man that has earned every bit of his hero status (which is more than the Newbies could ever say.) He’s had to endure five years of hell (which we’ve been hearing about for six years, but it’s the truth.) He’s had to open himself up again after that, which is no easy task. He’s had to endure additional years of hell since he returned to Starling City. He’s loved and lost and loved again and lost again. He’s had to experience immense hardship before getting to experience some semblance of happiness, before that was yanked away again.

Oliver has done some terrible things in his life. But who on this show hasn’t? Who in this life haven’t? I’m sick and tired of Arrow and the DCTV universe treating Oliver like he’s the only hero that’s ever f**ked up before. I’m tired of them holding his mistakes against him in a universe that preaches forgiveness and optimism. I’m tired of these characters acting as if Oliver isn’t more than twice the man and twice the hero than he was even three years ago.
“Docket No. 11-19-41-73” was an episode that put Oliver Queen on trial for being the Green Arrow. He was put on trial for the wrongs he’s done as Green Arrow. But what about all the good that the Green Arrow has done? Why is it that The Flash and Supergirl get celebratory parades in their honor while Green Arrow gets a anti-vigilante law?
Honestly, it’s just the nature of Arrow and of Oliver Queen. Oliver isn’t someone that needs approval or justification from anyone. He doesn’t care what people have to say about him. Well, the people that don’t know him. Oliver’s only focus in protecting Star City and the people that inhabit it. He’s selfless every time he goes out into the field fighting for those that some would just as quickly turn him over to the police than say “thank you.” And he still does it. But he doesn’t do it for the “thank yous.” Oliver does it because it’s the right thing to do.

Can we also stop acting like Oliver Queen hasn’t inspired every person he’s worked with in some degree? To the point where Roy Harper went to prison for him. Where Diggle, Felicity, Thea, Quentin, and hell, even Curtis, Rene, and Dinah have all shown their gratitude for what he’s done for them and the hero that he is. And despite how Arrow seemed to have forgotten that for a majority of this season, you can’t turn that appreciation off. Even when you have the Newbies acting like walking jackasses most of the time.

Heroes inspire. Oliver Queen inspires. He inspires as a husband. He inspires as a father. He inspires as a brother. He inspires as a friend. He inspired as a CEO. He inspired as the mayor. He inspires as a hero.
“We fight for each other, Oliver. We protect each other. We’re going to save each other.”

If you needed a quote to sum up Oliver Queen and Felicity Smoak, this episode just delivered it to you. And it was delivered in an emotionally raw moment from Felicity to Oliver. A moment that reminds me of why I love Olicity.

If there’s one thing that this show has done consistently (mostly) right this season, it’s been Olicity. While there’s been a whole bunch of other shit gone wrong, characters gone OOC, and just plot, plot, plot everywhere, Olicity have remained (pretty much) the constant this season.

Olicity works because of the friendship they cultivated dating back to season 1. It was when Felicity first realized she was in love with Oliver, as she said in this episode. That friendship and that trusting foundation paved the way for their romantic journey, which has had its share of ups and downs. It hasn’t been perfect, but even these writers cannot ruin the greatness that is Olicity.
As Oliver fought for his freedom in this episode, we saw the legitimate fear of a future torn apart register with Oliver and Felicity respectively. For so long, Felicity has preached being able to be the Green Arrow and be Oliver Queen. And Oliver has tried to rally around that. So seeing how the Green Arrow nearly cost Felicity her future with Oliver was difficult to watch on both sides. It was the kind of raw emotion that only Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards could bring to this episode. Their chemistry continues to remain the best thing to happen to this show.

Oliver and Felicity are the perfect complements to each other. Felicity the light, Oliver the dark. They have a deep love that has outlasted terrible writing, plot choices, and all the hardships thrown their way. They continue to be the heart of Arrow as they remind us about the power of love in a world overcome with darkness. They give us hope. They inspire us.
Learning that it was Diaz and not Cayden James that was the Big Bad this season was probably the most infuriating thing that’s happened to this show since the worthless sack known as Susan Williams last season. There was nothing terrifying about him in the slightest. He didn’t possess what it took to be the kind of Big Bad that can actually go toe-to-toe with the Green Arrow. Why the hell do you think he needs an army? He’s not capable of doing it himself.

Anyway, you cannot tell me that Black Siren wasn’t fully capable of taking out Diaz the moment she knew he was no good. No good, as in completely psychotic and needed to be put out of his misery. Instead, this show had her legitimately afraid of this spineless punk. When producers or writers start compromising characters for the sake of plot — or another worthless character’s propping up — that’s when I start having a huge problem. That’s when you start coming across as not giving a damn. That’s when your fans start to recognize that you’ve stopped giving a damn. (Which is why I’m hopeful for season 7 when Beth Schwartz takes over showrunner duties.)
It’s just ridiculous to me that Diaz has lasted this long. From Team Arrow to Black Siren, how has this asshole not been killed yet? He’s like a fucking weasel that just seems to slide right out of precarious situations. Sorry, my apologies to the weasel. I didn’t mean to insult you with the comparison.
I’ve had an issue with how they’ve made Black Siren out to be this poor, innocent girl in the clutches of Diaz, when in fact she’s guilty of horrific crimes that she has to pay for in some way. Not that it necessarily has to be physical or judicial, but she needs to pay the consequences within herself at the very least. Genuinely.
-How is it that Oliver Queen is on trial for his “crimes” as Green Arrow but Laurel Lance has yet to be tried for her “crimes” as Black Canary?

-“Oliver is a jerk, my position hasn’t changed.” Well, Rene, you’re a good for nothing asshole douchebag and my position hasn’t changed.
-What so now because the Newbs decide they don’t want to see Oliver go to jail we’re supposed to like them again? Nice try.
-Seriously, how is anyone supposed to be scared of Diaz?

-Seriously, how has Black Siren not killed this f***er yet?
-While you have Dinah and Rene bumbling and stumbling on the witness stand, my girl Felicity slayed it without even breaking a sweat. A true Queen.
-WHY DOES OTA ALWAYS HAVE TO SAY THANK YOU? Those other f***ers don’t deserve it.
-Well, that’s long overdue. An apology. But Rene is still an asshole. Sorry, you ruined him, Curtis, and Dinah for me forever.
-Oh, how original, Diaz is going after Oliver and the ones he loves. How many times have we played this game, folks?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6
53 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

In a rather quick turnaround....Colton Haynes is now a single man..

This is sad. But it was also incredibly obvious to anyone who was familiar with their social media habits over the past year.

• Love 3
(edited)

Arrow Season 6 Episode 21 Review: “Docket No. 11-19-41-73” 
Chris King  May 4, 2018
http://www.tvovermind.com/the-cw/arrow/arrow-season-6-episode-21-review-docket-no-11-19-41-73

It’s been a while since Arrow has truly felt like Arrow to me. As I’ve mentioned countless times in my reviews of the past few episodes, Season 6 overall has been a major disappointment, a season that has disregarded consistent characterization in favor of manufactured drama and spent way too much time trying to establish its main villain as a compelling antagonist by telling us how dangerous he is instead of showing us. I’ve been frustrated with the series not because I dislike it or am bored with it but because I know that the creative team has the capacity to give us better stories, to focus on the characters that matter most and allow them to act logically and authentically. I know that Arrow still has the ability to be Arrow, and fortunately, this week’s episode, “Docket No. 11-19-41-73,” finally captures the spirit of the show I’ve passionately watched and written about over the past six years.

So why does this week’s Arrow work so well, even with the walking, talking plot device that is Christopher Chance showing up and saving Oliver from going to prison? The answer is simple: the characters. In Oliver’s moment of need, everyone from Diggle to Felicity to even Rene (more on him later) steps up to help him in ways big and small, despite whatever other issues they have with him at the moment. So even though Diggle no longer joins Oliver out in the field, he still travels to Kasnia to recruit Chance so he can get him to  impersonate Tommy Merlyn as the Green Arrow (So nice to have you back again, Colin Donnell!) and hopefully get Oliver acquitted. While Felicity remains frustrated with Oliver’s decision to bench her and save Star City alone (For the record, I also remain frustrated by that choice), she still has the fortitude and grace to testify for her husband, be a mother to William, and, most importantly, remind Oliver that the two of them “fight for each other. We protect each other. We’re going to save each other.” And while Rene is still, unfortunately, Rene (Explain to me why Oliver is a jerk again, Rene, after everything he’s done for you?), he can at least finally recognize that Oliver is in this terrible position because of him and does everything he can to make up for his past mistakes.
However, both Amell and Oliver’s best moments come during scenes with Felicity and William, when Oliver is allowed to be his most vulnerable, his most human. When he’s finally alone with Felicity, after Chance has made his appearance as Tommy, Oliver prepares for the worst-case scenario, telling her that she and William need to go into ARGUS protective custody if he’s convicted. “I can handle losing my freedom,” he tells her. “I cannot handle losing you and William.” And in that moment, we again see the transformation of Oliver Queen from lone-wolf vigilante to husband and father, from hero to human. Being free and able to protect the city means nothing to him if he doesn’t have people in his life to fight for. What started out for him as a vengeful vendetta has become a battle for his home, not just the streets and the buildings that make up Star City but the people who fill it, and he knows that his mission wouldn’t matter any more without those who are most important to him by his side.

That’s why Oliver he saves his most powerful words for William. “Whatever happens and wherever I am, you need to know that I am always right here with you,” Oliver says to his son, pointing at his heart. Over the course of Arrow‘s five-plus seasons, Oliver Queen has become so much more than a man underneath a hood, battling criminals. He’s been a brother, a friend, a teammate, a husband, and now a father. He’s allowed people to enter his life and fill it with love and compassion and understanding, and in return, he has shown them the importance of selflessness, determination, and courage.
Black Siren’s turn against Diaz in this episode would have worked so much better if the writers had decided what they wanted to do with her earlier on in the season. Her decision to not out Oliver and go take down Diaz is supposed to be this powerful, redemptive moment, but her motivations this season have been too flimsy for me to buy into her choice as a genuine character moment. Instead, it just feels like the writers using her as a device to tick off Diaz and give Quentin more emotional stakes heading into the final two episodes of the season. I still wish that the Arrow creative team had just made Black Siren the main villain for Season 6. It wouldn’t have fixed everything, but it would have made this season a lot more fun.

Diaz only just now choosing to kill Oliver and everyone he loves, after having so many opportunities to do so before, speaks to the problem of the 23-episode format, which many of The CW’s superhero shows follow. There’s just way too much unnecessary filler. Think about how much better this season would have been if it was only 15 episodes long. It still wouldn’t have been great, but at least we would have gotten atrocious hours like “The Dragon.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

‘ARROW’ 6×21 REVIEW: THE JUDGEMENT OF OLIVER QUEEN
Posted on May 4, 2018 By Alyssa Barbieri
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-6x21-review-the-judgement-of-oliver-queen/

As Oliver fought for his freedom in this episode, we saw the legitimate fear of a future torn apart register with Oliver and Felicity respectively. For so long, Felicity has preached being able to be the Green Arrow and be Oliver Queen. And Oliver has tried to rally around that. So seeing how the Green Arrow nearly cost Felicity her future with Oliver was difficult to watch on both sides. It was the kind of raw emotion that only Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards could bring to this episode. Their chemistry continues to remain the best thing to happen to this show.

Oliver and Felicity are the perfect complements to each other. Felicity the light, Oliver the dark. They have a deep love that has outlasted terrible writing, plot choices, and all the hardships thrown their way. They continue to be the heart of Arrow as they remind us about the power of love in a world overcome with darkness. They give us hope. They inspire us.

When she puts it like that ... it makes me wonder how they could ever have written something as iconic as this story with the Green Arrow and Black Canary (independent of casting).  As with Sara, a Laurel Canary would have been too dark for this contrast and the hero's journey it creates.

Also agreeing with Chris King

I still wish that the Arrow creative team had just made Black Siren the main villain for Season 6. It wouldn’t have fixed everything, but it would have made this season a lot more fun.

I wonder why they didn't. Sexism?

Edited by statsgirl
(edited)

Celina Jade on ‘Arrow’ and Reuniting With Wu Jing for ‘Wolf Warrior 2’
By Tara Bitran   May 4, 2018
http://variety.com/2018/film/features/actress-celina-jade-1202795986/

What did you enjoy most about working on “Arrow?”

“Arrow” was fun. I auditioned from Hong Kong and sent in a self-tape, which my dad helped me with. It was a very simple scene, and I remember my dad saying to me: “OK, all the crying and stuff is great. But you know, don’t call yourself a Horan if you can’t snap out of it faster. Because you’re a strong woman. Be a strong woman.” I did that tape, and within three days, I was on a plane to Vancouver to shoot. But I love, love, love my character. She is the Mr. Miyagi of “Arrow.” She taught the Arrow archery. She taught the Arrow martial arts. She’s a very wise, philosophical woman in a young body. I think that’s cool.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, way2interested said:

Probably because no one wanted it going into s6?

I wonder if they are regretting it now.  A lot of reviewers as well as posters think that Diaz is just too lame to make the Big Bad of the season.

6 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I wonder if they are regretting it now.  A lot of reviewers as well as posters think that Diaz is just too lame to make the Big Bad of the season.

Maybe, and I do wonder when the decision to do this pseudo-redemption was made since MG seemed set to keep her a villain in the beginning, but I don't want to just throw out sexism willy-nilly as a reason.

5 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

The show has never had a female Big Bad.  I think the closest they came was Talia in s5.  Even Flash has Amunet.

Amunet isn't the big bad and is basically the same level as Talia, but even using that measure, that would mean Flash is less sexist than Arrow and LoT (the closest they came in that was Nora, and even then she was saved)?