Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Guggenheim'sinterview

She's also romantically involved with Detective Malone, as we saw at the end of 501; what can you say about their relationship? 

My best comment on that is that you’re gonna want to read my forthcoming book, How to Piss Off the Entire Internet. [Laughs.] At the end of the day, I love our fans, we have incredible fans — they are so passionate and I love their passion. Even when they’re angry at us, it’s still passion and still engagement with the show, and that’s great. Where I tend to part ways with some fans is, I write for the kind of viewer I am, I suppose; when I watch TV, I just want to be entertained. 

I recognize with social media and everything, that’s not enough for some fans. Some fans — not all of them, but some — don’t want to be entertained, they want to have influence on their entertainment. I think for better or for worse, we don’t write for those fans. I think the fact that we did put Felicity in a relationship… we’re not idiots, we knew it probably wouldn’t go over well with a segment of the fandom, but that can’t be why we don’t do something.  

Someone better tell David Ramsey because he keeps telling the audience the writers listen to us.

I guess the way to influence MG is to tell him you don't care any more and stop using social media?

• Love 1

Two things about that Mashable MG interview:

Certainly I think writing for Rick Gonzalez’s character Rene has been a lot of fun, because he’s such a loose cannon. He could give a f*ck about Oliver.

Just to prove how anal I am...I'm pretty sure the point is that he couldn't give a fuck.  Saying it the other way means that he could or wants to care about what Oliver thinks which contradicts the preceding sentence.  I hate when people continue to get this expression wrong and it especially irritates me here because MG already makes me rage.  /petty

For better or for worse, we are very consistent in our approach, which is, we are trying to tell the best stories we can tell, and we go where the stories take us. Sometimes we take the stories, but we’re following our best artistic intentions, and we don’t do it with regard to who we’re pissing off, and the corollary to that is sometimes people think we’re doing something to cater to certain fans, but we’re not doing that either.

Fair enough, Mark.  Unfortunately your overall artistic intentions and creative decisions have pretty much been awful--especially throughout S3 and the latter part of S4 and the show, as a whole, has suffered greatly for it.  I tend to believe this has pissed a lot more people off than breaking up Olicity or killing Laurel ever did, but if you want to keep believing the same shallow reasons for people's displeasure then carry on in your blissful ignorance.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 15
4 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

Mayhaps stop thinking about fans and focus more on improving your skills in character-driven narrative structuring?

I just want to tell him to stop talking about fandom and be a better writer. I'm not mad just because Felicity has a boyfriend; I'm mad because it doesn't make sense based on her state of mind. I'm not mad that there are newbies. I'm mad because this weird narrative that Laurel was a saint was never what was shown on screen. Don't treat this viewer like an idiot and I won't be pissy on the internet, you trolling jerk. 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 11

Every time one of them opens their mouths it's like the cornucopia from hell.  Tell me Marcus, are you really that entertained by crappy storytelling and a complete disregard for continuity?  I get it dude, you write for yourself.  Thing is, you alone are not actually the target demographic the network is going for.  So maybe you pull your head out of your rectum and pretend like you are writing this for others who are not you to consume.  M'kay????

• Love 13
Just now, wonderwall said:

Btw... Just a note. Chris Hayner is canceled :) 

He wrote a piece calling Felicity a hypocrite for not telling Diggle about the Flashpoint effects :) 

I knew this would happen :) 

That's the article I just posted and then deleted because it's total click bait.

I knew it would happen too. Let's blame Felicity for Barry's mistakes. Suuuuuure.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, wonderwall said:

Btw... Just a note. Chris Hayner is canceled :) 

He wrote a piece calling Felicity a hypocrite for not telling Diggle about the Flashpoint effects :) 

I knew this would happen :) 

Especially since Felicity can't do a damn thing about it.  What possibly can be gained by both parties?  "Sorry Dig, but Barry screwed up your life and replaced your daughter with a son and well...that's it.  Barry can't do anything about it and I just thought it was important to cause you a moment of distress without having any way to fix the situation because honesty."

• Love 20

Not to mention he's not even in the country. So is she supposed to tell him his kid was erased over Skype or by phone now? Sure, that makes sense. And like they'd ever give her the screen time for such a scene anyway.

Makes me want to punch something, especially as all the while Barry just gets away with it. How about no.

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

Open letter to Marc Guggenheim--

Dear sir,

the more time you spend answering *story* questions by talking about how pissed off fandom will get, the more it looks like you legit go out of your way to write intentionally towards pissing fans off. Because you totally get off on it.

Mayhaps stop thinking about fans and focus more on improving your skills in character-driven narrative structuring?

Best regards.

Sounds like MG needs to visit our board and be schooled in the reasons why nothing good ever comes about talking about the fans. 

31 minutes ago, Thundercatmary said:

I just want them to start using an outline lol

Here's my theory.  They talked about having a basic - if not outline, - list of ideas at least of what they want the writers to deliver in each episode, but also said they expected the writers to find unexpected things in amongst that kind of outline.  But since they have already come up with there not quite outline for the season, I'm guessing these unexpected things that might very well be really great, are never really followed up on.  Hence endless dropped plot points and missed follow up character growth.  Cause that's not really the direction the plot is going. 

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Not to mention he's not even in the country. So is she supposed to tell him his kid was erased over Skype or by phone now? Sure, that makes sense. And like they'd ever give her the screen time for such a scene anyway.

Makes me want to punch something, especially as all the while Barry just gets away with it. How about no.

And really, it's not like we know for sure that she didn't tell him that Barry did something nuts and in a life you don't remember, you had a daughter.  The timeline on the Flash pretty much put it happening last May or soon after.   That was six months ago.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

The only reason for Felicity to tell Diggle about Sara is if Digg then travels to Central City and beats the ever loving shit out of Barry Allen. Someone needs to. If that's not going to happen, then there is no need for him to know. 

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, MuuMuuChainsmoker said:

I knew this unpaid gig was going to lead to big things!!

Or a lot of hair pulling when the basket full of puppies doesn't fix what's broken with MG.  I'd pay though for you to have the power to remove his more problematic comments from the internet. 

• Love 2

I didn't read the article but from your posts I understand Felicity is called a hypocrite because he made an equivalent between Oliver lying about William and Felicity not telling Diggle about the baby switch?

Aside from the fact that the comparison can be made between Barry not telling Felicity about William and Felicity not telling Diggle about baby Sara, in both cases not their secrets to tell, Felicity didn't break up with Oliver over the lie, but because she said she couldn't marry someone that wasn't able to be a real partner to her. Someone who didn't rely on her in his most difficult times. So it makes no sense whatsoever.

• Love 6

I apologize for throwing this on you guys but, i haven't read the MG interview and can't do to my work situation today. Can someone summerize? A friend of mine DM'd me and said it sounded like damage control but, it doesn't sound like that based off the comments I'm reading here.

24 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I apologize for throwing this on you guys but, i haven't read the MG interview and can't do to my work situation today. Can someone summerize? A friend of mine DM'd me and said it sounded like damage control but, it doesn't sound like that based off the comments I'm reading here.

The title was "Arrow Boss knows he's p*ssing off some fans." Talked about introducing the newbies (Wild Dog's been the most interesting to write because he couldn't give a f*ck about Oliver, Evelyn's different from Artemis, etc.), 

Spoiler

KC coming back and liking watching her dallies again

having something physical and concrete to dramatize Felicity's guilt for Havenrock, knowing that introducing DTH would tick people off when they did it but still appreciating the passion, saying he agrees with the criticism that they broke up Olicity too quickly and that a way to not double down on that is to make sure not to put them back together to quickly, saying that logically after breaking up someone has to date someone, they take the story where it takes them, they're not actively trying to tick people off or avoid ticking people off, and mentioning that Prometheus is a villain with a wide skill set that they could only do in s5.

So yeah, not really damage control I would say, but it was better than WM's last few interviews, barring the bunch of side eye with these answers as well. 

• Love 1

@Morrigan2575 Basically the interview is glossing over the following topics. And please take into account that this is my interpretation of MG's interview. 

Spoiler

-Artemis and her new costume 
- WildDog as a "lose cannon" who doesn't give a fuck about Oliver 
- KC return (this interview doesn't give much about what this means)
- Havenrock and how it affects Felicity  (we don't learn much else aside from the fact that she will be affected by it) 
- Olicity and how they don't pander to any particular audience . It's consistent storytelling, yes they feel like they broke them up too early last season but they don't write for "these kind of fans" in particular. Even though they appreciate the passion. 
- Detective  small hands, yes Felicity is moving on and they are not idiots! it's for storytelling purposes. (Sic)
- Prometheus; hard to answer that without giving out spoilers. (LOLOL) 

Edited by RussianRoulette

I would say it was damage control. 

Look at the difference in his answers regarding Felicity/BF and Olicity v. the others. Those answers were involved.

It wasn't the best damage control and I don't buy it but it's an attempt on their end.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Angel12d said:

Not to mention he's not even in the country.

Not to mention we don't even really have an understanding of when Felicity learned this information or what she plans to do about it. Could have been yesterday, could have been two months ago. We haven't seen her dealing with it at all, and she was hoping Barry was going to do something to fix it, so...maybe she's still waiting for that. Or maybe she knows he can't, and she's waiting for Dig to get home sometime and will tell him then, or give him the option of knowing like Barry "gave" the people in his life. Seems pretty premature to be passing judgment on her in any direction for this when it hasn't been addressed in any fashion on Arrow.

• Love 8

Really though, what is the point of telling him that he had a daughter that was completely erased by time travel? So that he can feel the loss of someone he never knew (and won't ever know)? That he can be like, "Huh? Weird," and then move on? Like...I'm just not sure what the endgame would be for telling him about something he never had, and won't get back. It's not valuable information - and can only serve to possibly hurt - there really isn't an upside to it at all. 

• Love 17
23 minutes ago, Carrie Ann said:

Not to mention we don't even really have an understanding of when Felicity learned this information or what she plans to do about it. Could have been yesterday, could have been two months ago. We haven't seen her dealing with it at all, and she was hoping Barry was going to do something to fix it, so...maybe she's still waiting for that. Or maybe she knows he can't, and she's waiting for Dig to get home sometime and will tell him then, or give him the option of knowing like Barry "gave" the people in his life. Seems pretty premature to be passing judgment on her in any direction for this when it hasn't been addressed in any fashion on Arrow.

Not to mention how is that her responsibility to tell Dig that? What good could come out of telling someone that his daughter was erased from the timeline. Sorry what? Plus, that's a huge burden to carry. 

Barry is such a selfish prick. The worst ever, really. But hey, that's fine, why wouldn't Felicity be accountable for that? 

That Chris Hater guy is such a shit stirrer and a misogynist twat.  

Edited by RussianRoulette
My grammar is not on point today but whatever. Though I'd very much enjoy a feminism (or lack of) thread.
  • Love 7

Very true. It's really Barry's responsibility to tell Dig, or offer him the option of knowing. He's the one who fucked it up, he's the one who came and dumped all of this on Felicity, he's the one who didn't fix it. The least he could do is try to make amends by taking responsibility. But, nah, let's put the onus and judgment on Felicity for being the unfortunate receptacle of Barry's guilt.

• Love 20

Felicity only has to breathe though and she gets blamed for stealing oxygen. Oliver lies but oh look, Felicity should have fought harder. She's so mean! Damien releases hundreds of nukes worldwide but Felicity is the mass murderer for not being able to stop one. Barry is a selfish ass who messed up the timeline because he just wanted his mommy but Felicity is the hypocrite for not telling anyone about his mistakes. 

Pattern, anyone? 

• Love 21

Yeah, I really don't see what Felicity was supposed to do here in regards to the Diggle baby.  In this world, because of Barry's meddling, Diggle and Lyla have a son.  That is the reality they know, the child they love and the reality that Felicity knows.  If there was one thing I wasn't comfortable with, was Felicity telling Barry to go fix the timeline.  Because of Barry's meddling, it's John Jr. that she has known and I don't think she'd want to see him wiped out of existence, evne if she knew he was telling the truth.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

Why would it be Felicity's job to tell Dig about a daughter that never existed for him? It's Barry's fault. He should be the one that explains his fuck up to everyone in the universe. 

Barry should be punished by having to research how he changed everyone's life. Starling City Doors and Windows Guy might have lost one of his vacation homes in Flashpoint. He deserves justice!

• Love 7

The whole thing about Thea and Felicity being the driving force behind this season/the quote about beside every great man frustrates me to no end, although admittedly I didn't read the whole article. Basically Felicity and Thea are doing all the work for Oliver as he fails/makes absolutely ridiculously dumb decisions as both Mayor and vigilante. I just want to watch him be good at SOMETHING. Like in season 1, he was still good at bringing down the list, even if he didn't see Moira/Malcolm's machinations (which is a valid surprise bc who expects their mom to be planning a giant earthquake?). I feel like Oliver hasn't been competent in so long that it's hard to root for him. 

Edited by popgoesculture
  • Love 3

So, I was wondering why there was no review for the premiere at TV.com, and apparently Noel Kirkpatrick, the guy who used to cover the show, is not going to do it this season. Basically he said that it's not worth going through the pain and suffering, haha. He is going to give a shot to the show til December and drop it completely in case. That's too bad, I really enjoyed reading his stuff and he was one of the few unbiased reviewers. But he hasn't been enjoying the show for a while,  so I guess he made the right decision.

• Love 1

Reading StilettoRoyalty's tweets about Marc Guggenheim doing a call-in to EW's channel(?) on XM radio. In summary, no talk of Olicity, Felicity compared to Cisco, Curtis being called a tech hero, MG hardcore pushing Wild Dog. 

So, no damage control? I mean, he didn't even talk about Olicity. Doubling down on the newbies?

Did anyone else catch the interview?

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
3 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I don't understand the Wild Dog love.

I'm laughing like a maniac. They've been pushing Wild Dog everywhere, yet the one who got more positive reactions was Ragman, so they keep pushing on Wild Dog.

Team Arrow, betting on the wrong horse since 2012.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, popgoesculture said:

The whole thing about Thea and Felicity being the driving force behind this season/the quote about beside every great man frustrates me to no end, although admittedly I didn't read the whole article. Basically Felicity and Thea are doing all the work for Oliver as he fails/makes absolutely ridiculously dumb decisions as both Mayor and vigilante. I just want to watch him be good at SOMETHING. Like in season 1, he was still good at bringing down the list, even if he didn't see Moira/Malcolm's machinations (which is a valid surprise bc who expects their mom to be planning a giant earthquake?). I feel like Oliver hasn't been competent in so long that it's hard to root for him. 

I didn't think it's that Oliver is incompetent but I think he doesn't really at heart want to be the Mayor. I think Thea was accurate when she said, "Vigilante by day, Mayor by night". I think she knows he might not be 100% in to being the Mayor. At least that was my take on it.

• Love 2