Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

I know you've all been eagerly awaiting TV Fanatic's round table discussion of 410 (portions quoted below)...

Arrow Round Table: Permanent Paralysis or Bump in the Road?
Carissa Pavlica at January 25, 2016 11:00 am.
http://www.tvfanatic.com/2016/01/arrow-round-table-permanent-paralysis-or-bump-in-the-road/

Felicity is alive, but paralyzed. What are your initial expectations of the storyline?
Jay
: I expect the story to be short, not handled right, and just another obstacle for Oliver and Felicity. The first sign of mistreatment was Felicity crying because she thought Oliver would leave her for her paralysis, not that she'd "never" walk again.
Hank: Didn't she appear to be standing in the preview for the next episode? I agree with Jay, the paralysis storyline is not going to last long. Unless they plan to make Felicity the series' Oracle, but I believe the producers have already shot down that theory. She will be up and about in no time, just watch.
Meg: Eye roll. I wanted them to commit to her death. I liked her character but the stakes never feel that high on this show because we know that nobody is ever really dead.
Caralynn: It was a let down, not in the sense that I wanted Felicity to be dead, but in the sense that (like Meg said) this show doesn't do well with "sticking" the death. The last legitimately shocking death (that stuck) was Moira. Every other death or near-death has felt like a ratings stunt. As far as expectations: she'll walk again, in an unrealistically short amount of time.
Carissa: Gosh. It sounds so daytime soap opera, doesn't it? There's not much primetime about Arrow at all anymore. I'd like to see her be paralyzed and really run with the character. There have been many fantastic characters as such. But I'm sure either Magic or Ray's nano business will have her up and about soon.
What will drive Oliver and Felicity apart?
Jay
: I think a combination of things will break them up. Her paralysis and how that will change her life, her not wanting to be on Team Arrow anymore, and Oliver's son in Central City. It's just going to be a sh*t show.
Hank: This is why I was never an Olicity fan. Once the two hooked up, it was all downhill. Their relationship was wonderful early on, but the fans wanted them together. Oliver isn't meant to be happy (for long), that would make for a dull show. I think something tragic like losing her mother will drive Felicity away.
Meg: Ollie will pull the "I can't be with you and be the Arrow blah, blah, blah" and they will break up. Or she will find out about his son and how he lied to her or a combo of both.
Caralynn: Hm, I mean, I don't think it will be tension over the danger that Oliver's line of work poses to her life. Because they've already dealt with it and she's definitely firmly stated that she won't be pushed out of his life. The decision to stick around is hers to make and she's made it.
On the other hand, Felicity hasn't experienced repercussions to Oliver's "line of work" hitting someone close to her, someone who is innocent and uninvolved. I think that will drive a wedge between them, so I'm with Hank. Donna Smoak may die because of some Arrow-related violence.
Carissa: I think Felicity might not feel like she has anything left to contribute or she might still be more frightened than she expected to be. Words sound great in theory, in practice it's all different.
Other thoughts on the midseason premiere?
Jay
: I really enjoy Laurel and her newfound "leadership" on the team. She seems to be more of the moral compass now, rather than Diggle or Felicity, and she's truly after justice for the villains. Someone always needs to yell at Oliver for being an idiot. Also, it was really nice to see some sisterly scenes between Laurel and Thea, and see Laurel protecting Thea.
Hank: Jay, funny you mention Laurel because my favorite scenes of hers were actually in Legends of Tomorrow with Sara. The character has definitely come a long way. I wasn't thrilled with this midseason premiere. More of the same really. The island flashbacks continue to annoy the hell out of me, so damn pointless. Still, it's always fun for me to see characters crossover between Arrow, The Flash and now Legends. At the moment, DC's expanding TV universe is much more exciting than any one series.
Meg: I am really over all of Thea's scenes. I want less of her and more of Laurel. I love her this season and she is quickly becoming my favorite character. I also really like Darhk and want to see more of his creepy plan.
Caralynn: I feel like the odd man out here because, while I think Laurel has great potential, she still feels really underused. I think I'd like her if she had ANYTHING to do at all. The flashbacks are SO BAD. I didn't think it was possible for flashbacks to be worse than the Hong Kong ones, but dear lord, these are unbearably boring.
Carissa: I'll jump in on the flashbacks. They need to end. I guess the point of these were to show how the jail came into play? I've really stopped paying attention to them, because the more I try and come up with squat, the more angry I get at their pointlessness.
Edited by tv echo

LMAOOOOOOOO All of those "I like her character but I want her dead" is SO FAKE. 

Can they be more transparent? 

I wonder, since they like Laurel/Thea/Diggle, will they like it if either of them died? I mean killing those characters increase the stakes too. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 7

Just wanted to add... I'd get it and maybe respect them more if they straight out said they didn't like her and want her dead. But don't be wishy washy and say you like her and still want her dead. Don't be fake. It's unbecoming, weak, and just plain pathetic. 

• Love 10

I keep getting stumped by the lack of basic math skills.

Did they think Felicity was gonna die in 409, AND THEN there was gonna be another huge death at the end of the season?

Or did they think Felicity was gonna die in 409 and that would turn out to be the death in the flash-forward?

It makes zero sense to say that they wanted the show to commit to this hypothetical Felicity death, or stick to this death BECAUSE THIS WAS NEVER EVER THE FLASH-FORWARD GRAVE EVER.

• Love 19

Agreed but I can't tell what they were thinking and since there was a Grave flash forward in 410 THE death is still happening.  So I can only assume they just don't get and really think that Felicity was the flash forward death and the show did a fake out.  Or they really thought Felicity was dead in 409 (which was never shown, even the promo that ran right after 409 showed Felicity being rushed to the hospital) and think there's another death pending.

Going by their comments I think it's the former, which is kind of dumb, IMO

Yeah. I mean, I totally expect that kind of thinking from regular Joe casually watching Arrow if he's home on Weds, but from folks who take their time to dissect the show weekly? It just makes them look dimwitted.

• Love 4

LMAOOOOOOOO All of those "I like her character but I want her dead" is SO FAKE. 

Can they be more transparent? 

I wonder, since they like Laurel/Thea/Diggle, will they like it if either of them died? I mean killing those characters increase the stakes too. 

I'll raise my hand to having a severe bias. If they want to raise the stakes in my mind it has to be Laurel. She is the only one who fits. Not because of her importance to the narrative, but because of the out of show belief that she can't be killed.

Also, moral compass only works if you 1) Aren't a hypocrite and 2) They actually take your advice.

• Love 19

This is also the same show that, back in the first season, had Oliver shot in the first few minutes, go into cardiac arrest in the middle of the episode, and be back on his feet by the end of the episode, all apparently in the course of a few hours since at the end of that episode Felicity was asking where the bathroom was, and I really don't think her bladder was all that strong. And where, also last season, Laurel almost died in the Arrow Cave in the middle of an episode and then was up fighting Count Vertigo and his hallucinations just a few scenes later.  And where pretty much everyone's bullet wounds completely heal in one or two episodes. 

For this show, keeping Felicity in a hospital bed for an entire episode does count as making something stick.

• Love 16

For this show, keeping Felicity in a hospital bed for an entire episode does count as making something stick.

Also the fact that Felicity is PARALYZED and not just for one episode. I think that counts as making something stick too. 

They lost me at moral compass. And leadership, LOL.

Also, I'd prefer a 10minutes long scene of Thea styling her hair than a 10 seconds scene of Laurel preaching. But that's just me.

Edited by looptab
  • Love 21

I don't get how anyone can watch 4.10 and think Laurel was a moral compas in that episode.She starts preaching at Oliver and he shuts her down every single time and doesn't care or listen at all.When she won't go away he throws her hipocrisy in her face which shuts her up finally.Even Diggle doesn't back her up and procedes to talk to Oliver in a totally different way and at least calms him down and gets through to him.I don't think yelling hypocritical opinions in Oliver's face or going behind his back counts as his moral compas.She's done that for 3 and a half seasons now and it hasn't been really working.

Don't get where they saw leadership either.She was never more of a sidekick then in this episode where Oliver stop paying attention to the team is a democracy crap.

Edited by tangerine95
  • Love 16

Don't get where they saw leadership either.She was never more of a sidekick then in this episode where Oliver stop paying attention to the team is a democracy crap.

The petty person in me fistpumped at that. Oliver might have been a despot before, but as far as I can remember he never flat out said "If you don't agree with me, just leave".(And though he said that to both Diggle and Laurel, it was directed primarily at her). Also, my headcanon is that in his mind he was going "I never even invited you. Why are you here, again?"

• Love 13

The petty person in me fistpumped at that. Oliver might have been a despot before, but as far as I can remember he never flat out said "If you don't agree with me, just leave".(And though he said that to both Diggle and Laurel, it was directed primarily at her). Also, my headcanon is that in his mind he was going "I never even invited you. Why are you here, again?"

I loved that lol.And its not the first time he said something like that to Laurel.Pretty sure he told her to leave in season 3 too at least once.He didn't invite her though so it makes sense imo.She the only person who he had a problem with being on the team and fought to keep away until he "died" and she forced her way in and everyone ganged up on him to let her stay.Before that everyone else was chosen and asked by him to join his team.

• Love 7

I don't get how anyone can watch 4.10 and think Laurel was a moral compas in that episode.She starts preaching at Oliver and he shuts her down every single time and doesn't care or listen at all.When she won't go away he throws her hipocrisy in her face which shuts her up finally.Even Diggle doesn't back her up and procedes to talk to Oliver in a totally different way and at least calms him down and gets through to him.I don't think yelling hypocritical opinions in Oliver's face or going behind his back counts as his moral compas.She's done that for 3 and a half seasons now and it hasn't been really working.

When I see reviews like this I honestly wonder if they're watching the same show as we are. Like, the conclusions they draw are completely opposite of what was actually shown. I remember some round table after the midseason finale (not sure if it was this one or the one from TV Overmind) where the reviewer theorized that Felicity would quit the team and leave Oliver after getting shot because she'll realize it's too dangerous and not worth putting her life in danger. You know, after she spent all of 409 reiterating that she chose this life and Oliver despite everything.

I understand fan bias, and that reviewers can be fans themselves. But when they ignore what happens onscreen to make stuff up, they should really just stop pretending to be journalists.

• Love 12

I usually agree when it comes to Laura Hurely's interpretation of the show so it makes me happy to see this

Laura Hurley
‏@lah9891
Finished my screener of #Arrow 4x11.   I'd definitely call it one of the best episodes of Season 4.
  • Love 4

oh my,,

anonymous asks:

Laurel is Ollie's true love. It's so annoying when ppl are like 'lauriver is unhealthy because he cheated on her a lot' because like NO SHIT that's how the couple WORKS. If you'd read the comics you'd understand; Ollie cheats on Dinah all the time, but at the end of the day he loves her and always comes back, and like he always feels bad about it and she forgives him. People calling their relationship 'unhealthy' just don't understand Lauriver. gtfo
laurawritesabout laurawritesabout said:
You’re correct. I do not understand Lauriver.

Also, I cannot “gtfo” of my own inbox.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 11

So what I'm getting from that anon is that they actually like Lauriver because even though Oliver cheats on her relentlessly, he always goes back to Laurel?

WTF. Hahahaha. Laughing forever. 

If you'd read the comics you'd understand;

Nopity nope.  Also, lucky Dinah.  She gets the "privilege" of a cheater who always comes back to her in the end because he lurves her sooo much.  And he always has the sads about his cheating ways.  What more could you want from a man?  

• Love 13

I always thought that if anyone ships Lauriver they must not actually like or respect Laurel because every woman deserves better than how Oliver has treated her. Wow. 

This is eye opening. LOL.

anonymous asks:

Laurel is Ollie's true love. It's so annoying when ppl are like 'lauriver is unhealthy because he cheated on her a lot' because like NO SHIT that's how the couple WORKS. If you'd read the comics you'd understand; Ollie cheats on Dinah all the time, but at the end of the day he loves her and always comes back, and like he always feels bad about it and she forgives him. People calling their relationship 'unhealthy' just don't understand Lauriver. gtfo

Pity this person is an anon, I would say someone should send them that link in the Small Talk Thread about abusive relationships in romance novels.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

Pity this person is an anon, I would say someone should send them that link in the Small Talk Thread about abusive relationships in romance novels.

50 shades of Green?

I swear it almost sounds like a competition between Laurel/Dinah and any other woman and as long as Oliver goes back to Laurel/Dinah then Laure/Dinah wins. Maybe that's what these people are confusing for a healthy relationship.,

"Well, girlfriend, MY MAN came back to me and I win"

• Love 6

That person sounds more like a poser then an actual shipper to me.

I've seen that same line of reasoning (doesn't matter if Ollie cheats, what matters is he always goes back to her) repeated many times in pro-L/O arguments. Laurel always taking him back was supposed to make her a better match for him, as opposed to Felicity, who's always calling Oliver out on his shit and wants to change him.
  • Love 6

So what I'm getting from that anon is that they actually like Lauriver because even though Oliver cheats on her relentlessly, he always goes back to Laurel?

Well, he is like super sorry after it happens. Clearly, you know nothing of romance, Jon Snow!

To be fair, from what I gather he "only" compulsively cheats. If there are elements about him being emotionally abusive in order to get her to take him back, I haven't heard about them.

To be fair, from what I gather he "only" compulsively cheats. If there are elements about him being emotionally abusive in order to get her to take him back, I haven't heard about them.

Unless, a couple has agreed to an open relationship, It seems to me compulsive infidelity is emotional abuse. It's a constant breaking of trust. I still don't get how anyone roots for GA/BC myself.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 10

I swear it almost sounds like a competition between Laurel/Dinah and any other woman and as long as Oliver goes back to Laurel/Dinah then Laure/Dinah wins. Maybe that's what these people are confusing for a healthy relationship.

Yeah, it sounds to me more as if it's about the other women and putting them down, rather than about the man and having a fulfilling relationship with him.

Not my cup of tea.

• Love 1

Unless, a couple has agreed to an open relationship, It seems to me compulsive infidelity is emotional abuse. It's a constant breaking of trust. I still don't get how anyone roots for GA/BC myself.

I don't find anything rootable about them and, frankly, what little I've seen from the comics here on the board, it's ridiculous, but according to the reasoning above, what matters is that he comes back. I suppose that's what matters to Dinah as well. So if it works for them as a couple...

I've seen that same line of reasoning (doesn't matter if Ollie cheats, what matters is he always goes back to her) repeated many times in pro-L/O arguments. Laurel always taking him back was supposed to make her a better match for him, as opposed to Felicity, who's always calling Oliver out on his shit and wants to change him.

I've seen it as well but this one takes the cake.

ALEXANDER SAYS "ARROW" MADE HER CRY, EVERYTHING IN "PUNISHER: WAR ZONE" WAS DELIBERATE

Parts to do with Arrow:

On whether she had to alter her directing approach between "Arrow" and "Supergirl":

Lexi Alexander: Slightly. "Arrow" has been on for four years -- it's in its fourth season -- and the tone is established. The look is fairly established, so it's almost slightly easier because after you watch all the seasons right before you start, you know your blueprint. You know what you're supposed to do. I can't say, "Oh, let's pop everybody up in the daylight."

So it's pretty clear. But you don't ever get what you think you're going to get. What actually was so interesting, and what I was really kind of happy about, was I had these dramatic scenes. I had these monologues and dialogues between Oliver and Captain Lance that were hardcore, and made me cry behind the camera. These were things I didn't expect. I thought, "I'm going to have to talk about fighting and do the thing that I do," and instead it became a whole different experience, which I loved.

On whether she actually cried filming "Arrow":

Oh I cried. I remember precisely. I tend to -- it's not even something I should say as a woman director, but I'm gonna go and say it anyway. It doesn't usually make us look good -- but yes, when I'm behind the camera and it's an emotional scene, and the actor goes there, I will definitely cry. As I would cry if I watched the episode -- if it affects me.

[stephen Amell] did it several times. I remember there was a very emotional scene between Captain Lance and Oliver where he's basically says to him, 'I looked up to you and you've let me down,' and , "Oh my God, they can all act." And often times I think on action shows where we have to do the action thing and the light thing, they don't always get to go there. And I was very pleased and happy that it was my episode where this happened.

• Love 3