Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

(edited)

The Comics 8 Ball: Top 8 Reasons Arrow has Jumped the Shark

March 2, 2015 | Posted by Anthony Kennedy

http://411mania.com/movies/the-comics-8-ball-top-8-reasons-arrow-has-jumped-the-shark/

Someone else at 411mania wrote his own rebuttal to the above article...

The 8 Ball: Top 8 Reasons Arrow Hasn’t Jumped the Shark

March 3, 2015 | Posted by Jeremy Thomas

http://411mania.com/movies/the-8-ball-top-8-reasons-arrow-hasnt-jumped-the-shark/

Edited by tv echo

I think it did, back when Malcolm was revealed to be alive (out of the blue) and Slade was revealed to be in love with Shado and blame Oliver for her death. It wasn't obvious then, but in retrospect, they were the harbingers of suck to come. Sara's "happy" return to the League was the final nail in the coffin.

• Love 2

We've just gotten the news that another spinoff is in the works, starring the likes of Brandon Routh, Victor Garber, Wentworth Miller, and...Caity Lotz? Unfortunately, that's literally all the information currently available, but dare I hope they actually learned from their mistake?

I think it did, back when Malcolm was revealed to be alive (out of the blue) and Slade was revealed to be in love with Shado and blame Oliver for her death. It wasn't obvious then, but in retrospect, they were the harbingers of suck to come. Sara's "happy" return to the League was the final nail in the coffin.

Agreed. For me, Arrow went off the rails the moment Ivo shot Shado. The whole "Choose!" scenario was nothing but plot-driven nonsense and the show never recovered from it. Instead, the writers chose to fully embrace plot-driven writing afterwards.

• Love 9

We've just gotten the news that another spinoff is in the works, starring the likes of Brandon Routh, Victor Garber, Wentworth Miller, and...Caity Lotz? Unfortunately, that's literally all the information currently available, but dare I hope they actually learned from their mistake?

There's an entire thread set up in this forum to talk about the spin-off

"No one saw Felicity and Oliver coming. Nobody saw that. Emily - to her great credit - was hired as a guest star on the show. And no one saw that character morphing the way it did. And thank God she did, because for the first several episodes, even half the season, it was just me and Stephen kinda brooding around Starling City fighting crime. And we had this comic relief in Emily Bett.. a breath of fresh air. She could have very well stayed in that place, were there was some comic relief and you give her some one liners and it really would stay that breath of fresh air, but to see the chemistry that she had with Stephen and that morphing into a romance between Felicity and Oliver.. I don’t think anyone called that. I think the fans probably hoped for it, but to see it really happen and become something on screen - no one really knew that was coming”

- Do you want Felicity and Oliver to get together or.. Ray Palmer?

"You know, Emily is such a… she’s one of these actresses that have.. it’s almost like she has chemistry with everyone that she works with. She has chemistry with Stephen.. I mean Oliver, she has chemistry with Ray Palmer, she has chemistry with Barry Allen. She is one of those characters.. Emily brings something to Felicity, that she can [be] with any of these guys and you would believe it. I can’t say that I don’t like her with Ray Palmer. Because they really are kinda good together.

I think Diggle obviously sees Oliver and Felicity together. And to be honest with you, I, David Ramsey, had some questions with that, as I saw it written in the script, I thought 'would Diggle really be that way? because wouldn't he see her as more of a liability?' And going back to my other statement about us having open door with the writers, that was my concern with this, would he fall in love with Felicity, because Felicity, at the end of the day, working this closely, (Diggle being an army guy) would she be a liability ultimately?

I talked to Mark [Guggenheim] for a while about that. He said: I think Diggle’s position is, that he’s always wanted Oliver to embrace his humanity. And back to that first speech, when I joined the crusade, I said [to Oliver]: whether you know it or not, killing people scrapes off a little bit of your soul each time you do it and you’re gonna need me to help you with that, to regain your humanity, to keep ahold of your humanity. And he sees part of what he’s doing with Felicity and embracing a woman that he truly does love, as keeping that humanity intact and being closer to a full rounded person. That’s Diggle’s position. That’s part of what he helps Oliver become, a more fleshed out human being.

So yes, Diggle probably does want the two of them together more than anybody else. I had some problems seeing that at first, but I think that ultimately she’s a better match [for Oliver]. And now, that I’m looking at what Ray Palmer’s issues are, I think that he’s really the same person as Oliver Queen [laughs]. She’s really attracted to the same guy. What’s pushing him is the grief that he has for the death of his wife. So he hasn’t dealt with his anger and his loss, the same way Oliver hasn’t dealt with all the things he’s suffered through on the island. So they really are kind of mirroring each other in a way. But Oliver has the team and Ray hasn’t yet found his team. And in that team there’s a safety net, whether Oliver realizes it or not. He has a family. And John Diggle recognizes that, probably more than anybody else. So I think he sees Oliver and Felicity together ultimately.” - SOURCE

A very thoughtful view of Oliver and Felicity by David Ramsey. It's nice to see that he talked to MG about Digg's stance on O/F because obviously he cares about Felicity not getting hurt. I personally loved this interview

• Love 8

It makes me cringe because they've made Dig so pro-Oliver this season, that David Ramsey's very valid off screen point is something they could've played up on screen and they haven't. Instead it's like Dig and Felicity barely talk, barely look at each other and it is such a shame. They had a wonderful relationship. Dig really looked out for Felicity, but script is dictating that they act as if that relationship never existed.

• Love 4
(edited)

TO be fair, someone has to be pro Oliver. I don't even think Digg is pro Oliver. He's just trying to keep him alive right now. 

As for us not getting any D/F scenes. Don't even get me started on that. I get livid thinking about it. Honestly, Oliver was GONE for 3 episodes, HOW IN THE WORLD HAVE THEY NOT HAD ANY SCENES TOGETHER!? It's almost criminal

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 10

I think he's pro Oliver. Since the premiere he's been pro Oliver, at the expense of Dig and Felicity. Ep 7, Draw back your bow, he was very pro Oliver. There was no Felicity POV from Dig, when he would normally have one. I don't think Dig is so narrow minded that he cannot be aware of saving Oliver's humanity and maintaining his beloved friendship with Felicity. He's chosen sides, and sort of became a self fulfilling prophecy in that there is imbalance in the team now.

And I blame it entirely on plot dictating character.

• Love 6

I think of poor David Ramsey and how sick he must be of everyone asking him about Olicity. He gets asked this question even more than EBR and SA themselves lol.

Also, I read the explanation of his doubts at first, not as concern for Felicity, but for the balance of the team and the safety of them all. As in, those two together could screw everything up, would Diggle support that? 

• Love 3

I think of poor David Ramsey and how sick he must be of everyone asking him about Olicity. He gets asked this question even more than EBR and SA themselves lol.

Also, I read the explanation of his doubts at first, not as concern for Felicity, but for the balance of the team and the safety of them all. As in, those two together could screw everything up, would Diggle support that? 

To be honest, I don't think David Ramsey supports that couple at all. But that's ok. :) We all have our opinions. 

Also yes. Can people please stop asking DR about Olicity? I'd much rather have him talk about Diggle's relationship with various characters on the show (specifically Lyla, Oliver, and Felicity)

• Love 2
(edited)

To be honest, I don't think David Ramsey supports that couple at all. But that's ok. :) We all have our opinions. 

Also yes. Can people please stop asking DR about Olicity? I'd much rather have him talk about Diggle's relationship with various characters on the show (specifically Lyla, Oliver, and Felicity)

Of course :) I wasn't criticizing him, just making an observation :)

And really, I've been reading this same answer about Diggle's concerns for Oliver's humanity ultimately mean him supporting a relationship with Felicity since Comic-con. He must know this answer at heart even better than his own address or cell number :)

If they have to ask him about Olicity, at least they could try and spin the questions. As you said, ask him about his own relationship with Felicity. (And where the hell that's gone this year).

(There are few things that give me joy as criticizing journalists, or even "journalists" does) :D

Edited by looptab
  • Love 2
(edited)

This is the first time that I've seen Laurel/BC included on one of these kinds of lists (one might argue, of course, that Sara/Canary was a lot more badass, but Sara's 'dead' so I guess she no longer counts)...

International Women's Day 2015: Daenerys Targaryen, Annalise Keating and Other Badass Women of TV
By Mangala Dilip March 6, 2015 04:15 IST
http://www.ibtimes.co.in/international-womens-day-2015-daenerys-targaryen-annalise-keating-other-badass-women-tv-625267

Ahead of International Women's Day on 8 March, here is a narrowed list of strong and feared women characters in the TV shows of 2015:
Black Canary (Arrow)
Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy), was quite the badass even before she took up the codename Black Canary to work undercover as a vigilante. As a cop's daughter, she is pretty adept with self defence and once even protected her late boyfriend Tommy Merlyn during a bar fight. After taking up the alter ego Black canary, Laurel becomes even more driven and passionate to not just avenge her sister Sara's (Caity Lotz) death, but also to protect Starling City, which she loves.
Edited by tv echo

Well no-one ever said criminals were smart.

I'm saying that Buckle Canary ie. LL's BC is not really fear-inducing. The Black Canary aka Sara Lance is the one they feared .

• Love 4
(edited)

What makes you say that? I mean is it something he said?

Hmm reading his response again I feel like I may have to retract my statement.  But let me backtrack and show what made me make my original statement...

I thought that DR having trouble with understanding O/F in the first place was kind of a big indicator that maybe he didn't like the couple, that along with how he constantly has to point out that it's DIGGLE who feels that way about O/F and not how DR himself feels about the couple was another indicator. In the end I didn't think that he was entirely convinced that an O/F relationship can work.. and if it can't work then it jeopardizes the TA dynamic. 

But then I reread his answer and compared it to his older interviews... And it struck me that this was DR being genuine. DR is Diggle's biggest supporter, he thoroughly believes that Diggle's opinion matters and is usually right. If Diggle supports O/F, then so would DR. It is actually wonderful that he went to the writers to discuss why Digg would be such a huge proponent to O/F getting together, and with that extra effort came understanding. Re-reading that statement DR wasn't saying that O/F was a liability, it was more, Oliver being in ANY relationship is a liability which is a valid concern. But Digg overall, looks out for OLIVER not the Arrow. And Oliver needs Felicity. 

I hope that makes sense? 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 4

Well no-one ever said criminals were smart.

Someone did once say that criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot. And I guess that doesn't lend itself to smartness.

Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy), was quite the badass even before she took up the codename Black Canary to work undercover as a vigilante.

I've never seen Laurel as Black Canary outside of some promo pics, but I find it hilarious that anyone could think the Laurel of the first two seasons was anything even approaching badass. She was bad, and she was an ass, but you could not connect those two words to come up with a descriptive word for what she was.

• Love 19

Apparently, per SmoaknArrow, his answer was not in response to an Olicity question.  The question was re two developments he did not see coming...he chose to answer with Olicity.  That makes his answer even more interesting...he's the one who brought it up.  (Sara's death was the other development.)

• Love 2
(edited)

I thought 'would Diggle really be that way? because wouldn't he see her as more of a liability?' And going back to my other statement about us having open door with the writers, that was my concern with this, would he fall in love with Felicity, because Felicity, at the end of the day, working this closely, (Diggle being an army guy) would she be a liability ultimately?

Did he think that Diggle would think that any woman Oliver fell in love with would be a liability?  That's Oliver's crazy logic in s2 and 3; I would hope that David Ramsey as Diggle would be smarter than that.  After all, he fought with Lyla, as we found out in s1.

A woman out in the field would be a liability, Felicity was safe in the lair.

Re Laurel making the list of badass women -- as much as I don't like it, it's working for the show as people who watch more superficially are buying the bumph..

Edited by statsgirl

The Best Female Comic Book Heroes on TV, Ranked

5. Black Canary, Arrow

So far, Black Canary has spent way more time receiving beatings than dishing them out. But give her time. It’s taken two-and-a-half seasons to evolve Laurel Lance to the point where she takes up the mantle of Black Canary — something comic fans have known would happen since the show’s inception.

Another way to look at it is, she’s 61 episodes into her origin story. That time has allowed the character to become as nuanced as any on the show. Oliver had five years to go from billionaire playboy to urban vigilante; it looks like Starling City is Laurel’s Lian Yu.

3. Felicity Smoak, Arrow

Felicity plays essentially the same role as Caitlin Snow does on The Flash, but she’s so much more integral to Arrow that it’s hard to argue that she doesn’t deserve the spot. She’s the eyes and ears and brain and, often, the heart of Team Arrow (a job that gets split between two people on Flash). Give her a mask, and you might as well call the show Smoak.

Much of the credit goes to Emily Bett Rickards, whose role was originally intended as a one-off, but her chemistry with Stephen Amell was so great, she was a series regular by Season 2. She’s the x factor that makes a good show great, and she ends midway up this list only on a technicality.

Source: Yahoo

• Love 3
(edited)

Katie Cassidy likes being part of team Arrow on "Arrow"

..."It’s been awesome. It’s so much fun being a part of the foundry and a part of Team Arrow.”Katie added, “I really feel like there is a place for Laurel, like she absolutely should be there.[...]Laurel is constantly challenged, and they question her at first. But she, again, continuously is proving herself, and she does prove herself to them. I think at first they’re hesitant with her being the Black Canary and going out in the streets and fighting with no training, but they actually see that she has it inside of her.”

LOL

Edited by looptab

That's not new, they pulled it from her Vulture interview which I think was from the TCAs.

Oh, sorry! I usually skip KC's interviews (they are not good for my gastric ulcer) so I thought the quote wasnew when I came across this.

Do they see the refrigerator light and the questionable burning sensation?

Hehehe :)

That's not new, they pulled it from her Vulture interview which I think was from the TCAs.

The fact that Vulture interviewed her for her role as Black Canary still hurt me in my soul.

• Love 4

The fact that Vulture interviewed her for her role as Black Canary still hurt me in my soul.

Well it's okay because the recapper who does Arrow recaps doesn't like BC or Laurel at all. 

• Love 2

Well it's okay because the recapper who does Arrow recaps doesn't like BC or Laurel at all. 

True.

I have liked most of her reviews. Her love for Felicity in general and Oliver's abs in particular makes her one of us.

• Love 4
(edited)

I stopped watching the show for a while now and was glad to see that EW article. Critics are finally voicing what the fans have been saying for a while now. 

It's the same article posted a week or two ago on TV Overmind, I think. I wish critics like Mo Ryan, Alan Sepinwall, etc., would do a so-far-this-season review because I'm really interested in their takes. Sepinwall came back to review "Canaries" and didn't really sound that enthused.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 1

Sepinwall was really critical of season 3A and really hated it. He kept reiterating "bring back original team arrow, stop focusing on Laurel and Roy" but they did the opposite in 3B so I get why he wouldn't want to write any recaps. 

• Love 7

I actually emailed Mo Ryan, and, believe it or not, she wrote back.  Twice so far.  She's really nice.  She doesn't have a huge problem with this season...she doesn't like Laurel's arc or that Felicity doesn't have her own story, and Ray doesn't feel organic, but overall she's just enjoying the abs, etc., and not taking it too seriously.

• Love 5