Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

It's hard to be shocked by Laurels 'shocking death' when it was telegraphed for weeks, half the Internet was spoiled and we knew someone was dying. Like numberCruncher said, women dying this season has been so (grossly) common this spring with much more shocking deaths between whatever the actual fuck Sleepy Hollow and the 100 are doing this year that it's hard not be just kind of numb to Laurel's misfortune.

• Love 2

Someone better at this than I should post pics of SA at the MTV awards. He looks very handsome. No hat of any kind.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/mtvmovieawards?f=images&vertical=default&src=hash

https://twitter.com/SAEBRfan/status/718979729064357888

@AyChihuahua--did you eat his hat, too?  ;-)

I agree that he looks really handsome in these pics.  I really like his hair, and his stubble is the best length--I've found him about 500% less attractive* with the fuller facial hair this season, so I'm glad it's the proper length again.

*That's what happens when there's a dearth of shirtless scenes--we start noticing things like how unflattering the extra 1/4 inch of stubble is!

• Love 7

Arrow Round Table: The Unnecessary Death of Laurel Lance

Carissa Pavlica at April 12, 2016 11:00 am
http://www.tvfanatic.com/2016/04/arrow-round-table-the-unnecessary-death-of-laurel-lance/

Laurel Lance is dead. React.
Caralynn: Ugh. Just ugh. I saw this as someone who was not, by any means, Laurel's biggest fan. The writers dropped the ball on the character of Laurel Lance once they failed to satisfactorily do what they originally planned to do with her (the Oliver romance). It's insane to me that they couldn't figure out how to resolve the issue.
I didn't need to see Laurel with Oliver and, in fact, after everything Oliver did to Laurel a romance between them would have been gross and terrible. But the fact that the writers couldn't figure out a story for this character outside of a love story is crazy. Katie Cassidy isn't exactly going to be winning any acting accolades anytime soon, but she is certainly not SO bad she can't be written for at all.
Kelly: Caralynn is correct, this show never figured out what to do with Laurel after Arrow Season 1. I had hoped that Laurel becoming the Black Canary would spark some creative stories for her, but it never happened. I'm not a fan of the show deciding to kill Laurel, but it makes sense story wise because what was next for her? I just feel bad for Captain Lance. Can he go a year without a daughter dying?! You will kind of be missed Laurel Lance.
Meg: I am super bummed. Laurel was finally getting back on track and it seems they only did that so her death would be more impactful. It sucks. I think there were other options that would have worked better and driven the story. Green Arrow without Black Canary is weird. It's just weird.
Jim: I had taken a break from Arrow and came back just as Laurel took over as Black Canary. But I agree with Kelly, that it felt like they couldn't figure out exactly how they wanted her to fit in. She became even more unnecessary once Captain Lance found out about Oliver and Team Arrow and started providing information directly that Laurel had been collecting from him.
Was the way Laurel exited satisfactory? Is there anything you would have changed?
Caralynn
: HELL no, it was not satisfactory. I thought the acting by everyone was really fantastic (particularly Stephen Amell, who I tend to think is an eh actor), but the writing was crap. It was so melodramatic and soap-operaish that I legitimately thought her death had to have been a fake-out. I thought there was no possible way that they would let Laurel's last (on-screen) words be about Oliver and Felicity's relationship.
It was just beyond cringeworthy. There is literally nothing worse, to me, than the trope of the "dying woman tells her beloved to go on and find his happiness without her," which is apparently what they were going for with that scene, although no one with a lick of sense would have thought Oliver was Laurel's unrequited soul mate at this point in the show.
Kelly: Exactly! Laurel thinking Ollie is the love of her life?! Um, what? Where on Earth did that come from? That was insane and bizarre creative decision. Laurel's actual death was satisfactory. Getting injured in battle by one of Ollie's arrows because of a decision Diggle made. That is a lot of drama. I wish we would have gotten a Lance family reunion before Laurel kicked it though.
Meg: I am drained just thinking about it. I really wanted that lighter tone they advertised at the start of the season. It's will be like a sad One Tree Hill storyline but with weapons. Tears, long speeches and guilt. I love this show, but ugh.
Jim: Caralynn and Kell pretty much said all there is to say about Laurel's exit. The count of bad tropes used in the episode/scene was climbing so fast I had a hard time not getting eye strain from rolling my eyes.
Finally, the complaints have been there are too many cooks in the kitchen. Should the open space on Team Arrow be left open or should it be filled? Why?
Caralynn
: Laurel's spot should remain open, because to fill it so soon would be disrespectful to the character. But Felicity's needs to be filled asap. They need someone who's an ace at the technology/tracking, because that's a really important part of what they do. I actually loved Curtis filling in for Felicity last time, so more of that would be fine. Of course, we ALL know that Felicity will be back eventually, so this would just be a temporary replacement.
Kelly: I agree, 100% with Caralynn. Leave Laurel's seat open and bring Curtis in. Felicity will most definitely be back with the team before the end of this season so where the character of Curtis will go next season, since Echo Kellum will be a series regular, who knows?
Meg: I think there are too many folks for any of them to get good stories. I say leave it open, and send a few people over to The Flash. Everyone is better on the Flash.
Jim: I agree with Caralynn as well. They could even have some different guests (like Vixen was for an episode) that could be tested to see how the chemistry with Team Arrow is before they decided to replace her.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

My "favorite" part of the round table:

Caralynn: Laurel's spot should remain open, because to fill it so soon would be disrespectful to the character. But Felicity's needs to be filled asap.

Curtis can replace Felicity, and that would be totally fine, but someone replacing Laurel just as quickly would be "disrespectful"?  Laurel's dead.  Trust me, she's not going to care.  In fact, if she cared about her teammates at all, she would probably want them to have adequate backup in the field so they stay safe. 

• Love 22

You know, theoretically I agree with what they are saying. It would be kinda disrespectful having someone immediately step in in her place. Not just in her case, specifically, it's something that would be valid for everyone. It's that double standard I don't particularly like. Were any of these people complaining about Laurel stomping around the Arrow Cave as soon as Sara died? I don't think so.

• Love 9

New podcast interview with PB (starts at around the 0:29:30 mark)...

-- He'll be

"popping up" in a "couple episodes" of LoT.

-- Before you know it, they'll be back filming S5 in July.

The Next Level Showcast podcast with Paul Blackthorne
http://www.nextlevelradioonline.com/the-showcast.html

S03E14 - "No Blackthorne In Our Side"
Ben returns to the show and rejoins Adam and Steve for an interview with actor Paul Blackthorne from the CW's show "Arrow". Throw in the Entertainment Breakdown including Steve's Trailer Trash, Ben's Next Level News, and Adam's Weekly Update and you've got yourself a full show.
Adam Gori ‏@AdamNextLevel
Things we learned Paul loves: #Arrow, @JamesBamford, America, rhinos and pubs.Adam Gori added,
11:21 AM - 11 Apr 2016

https://twitter.com/AdamNextLevel/status/719591315395256320

Edited by tv echo

I might be off base, but this Because Comics argument has really created the weirdest double standard. I remember last year, when Diggle was largely underutilized, several reviewers claimed that, either the show decided what to do with Diggle and find a better way to use him, or they should get rid of him. Yet this season, no one even commented on Laurel until this episode. When they all pointed out how she was a background character. Where were the "Use her better or get rid of her" claims during the season? It's like everyone just accepted she ought to be there, never questioning it. No matter whether she served some purpose or not, of course she'd always be there. And I'd say they were ok with it? I mean, they weren't exactly clamoring for her to do more.

Edited by looptab
  • Love 19

My "favorite" part of the round table:

Caralynn: Laurel's spot should remain open, because to fill it so soon would be disrespectful to the character. But Felicity's needs to be filled asap.

So... basically that round table was saying "I don't know what the writers could have done with BC/Laurel because she hasn't had a purpose on the show since season 1. But how dare they kill her off!"

And sure, BC's spot on the team shouldn't be filled... because they never needed her in the first place. The team was just fine-- better, even-- for 3 seasons with three fighters and fewer. I hope the stunts get better from here on out.

"Out of respect, BC's spot on the team should stay open because they can cope with only three fighters versus four. But Felicity's place should be filled immediately, because her role is critical in a way Laurel's never was." Cool, I totally agree.

• Love 19

I think I'm just glad to finally get that it was never Because Comics making hay over the writers' room. It was Because CW Forced Us so they had to.

And then, duh, giving Laurel rando superficial shit from the comic book canon was one quick way to give the character stuff to do [ride a bike, for example] without giving her the A-plot.

I love understanding things.

• Love 21

Why is everyone so obsessed with a name? Laurel Lance was never Comic book Black Canary. Having the name doesn't make her the character, she had barely had anything else in common with comic BC. 

• Love 4

I wonder if Laurel decided to take the DA job and quit being a vigilante would the complainers then say "oh it's OK get Roy back or someone".

I side eye replacing Felicity so nonchalantly so hard.

• Love 1

Mo Ryan on Variety:
‘Anyone Can Die?’ TV’s Recent Death Toll Says Otherwise

It has been a deeply frustrating and blood-soaked spring. Just about every week lately, it’s felt as though TV was hosting a Red Wedding for any character who wasn’t a heterosexual white guy.
Women of color, men of color, LGBTQ characters and white female characters have been killed off left and right. None of that’s new for TV, but the sheer volume of these deaths — a number of which were shocking for the wrong reasons — has been notable. When considered as a whole, it’s difficult for the suspicion that these characters are expendable not to harden into belief.
A lot of shows pride themselves on the idea that “anyone can die,” but is that actually true?

[...] In the last two weeks, notable women died on “Hap and Leonard,” “Vikings,” “Arrow” and “Sleepy Hollow.”

[...]If you do kill off characters from underrepresented groups, think about why that particular character has to die. Ponder whether that death will be one of an array of deaths that includes straight white dudes. Quiz yourself on whether that death seems sloppy and rushed, or thematically rich and of a piece with the show’s core concerns. If an actor needs to leave or a character has run out of story — and that does happen — make sure that individual gets an amazing sendoff, one that inspires paeans and praise, not tears of rage. Fans don’t want nothing but happy endings, they want emotionally fulfilling, cathartic exits. It can be done.

• Love 2

‘Comedy Bang! Bang!’ Returns on June 3rd with The Lonely Island, Nathan Fielder, Kristen Schaal, and More
BY MEGH WRIGHT APRIL 13, 2016
http://splitsider.com/2016/04/comedy-bang-bang-returns-on-june-3rd-with-the-lonely-island-nathan-fielder-kristen-schaal-and-more/

Comedy Bang! Bang! returns to IFC this June with a brand new season and bandleader, and today the network confirmed the premiere date and huge list of guest stars. The 20-episode fifth season debuts with two back-to-back episodes on Friday, June 3rd at 11:00pm, and here are the guest stars slated to show up throughout the season:

Kevin Bacon, Kaley Cuoco, Nathan Fielder, Ben Folds, Tony Hale, Joe Jonas, Aubrey Plaza, Kristen Schaal, T-Pain, Tegan and Sara, The Lonely Island, Kate Berlant, Matt Besser, Neil Campbell, Nate Corddry, Dave Foley, Lauren Lapkus, McG, Bobby Moynihan, Laraine Newman, Mike O’Brien, Haley Joel Osment, Jon Polito, Emily Bett Rickards, Paul Rust, Rosa Salazar, Horatio Sanz, Ben Schwartz, Abigail Spencer, Steve-O, Fred Willard, Chris Wood, and many more.

IFC to Premiere 'Weirdest' Season Yet of COMEDY BANG! BANG!, 6/3
By TV News Desk   April 13, 2016
http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/IFC-to-Premiere-Weirdest-Season-Yet-of-COMEDY-BANG-BANG-63-20160413#

"COMEDY BANG! BANG!' is getting weirder this season... and it's not just thanks to the new bandleader and co-host, "Weird Al" Yankovic. Season five, premiering with two back-to-back episodes on Friday, June 3 at 11:00pm ET/PT and 11:30pm ET/PT on IFC, brings us the highly-anticipated return of the surreal, wildly entertaining scripted talk show, hosted and created by Scott Aukerman. The new season returns with 20 episodes filled with an exciting line-up of guest stars, ...  Every week, two back-to-back episodes will air starting at 11:00pm; the first 10 episodes run through July 1, and the remaining 10 episodes will air on IFC this fall.
Also appearing this season: Kate Berlant (Animals.), Matt Besser (The Upright Citizens Brigade), Neil Campbell (Love, Comedy Bang! Bang!), Nate Corddry (Mom, Childrens Hospital), Dave Foley (The Kids in the Hall, Newsradio), Lauren Lapkus (Orange is the New Black, Jurassic World), director McG (Charlie's Angels, This Means War), Bobby Moynihan (Saturday Night Live, Sisters), Laraine Newman (Saturday Night Live), Mike O'Brien (Saturday Night Live), Haley Joel Osment (The Spoils of Babylon, Entourage), Jon Polito (Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink), Emily Bett Rickards (Arrow, Brooklyn), ....
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

OMG wonder if this guy favored a certain character who wore black. This article is just ridiculous:

Paul Dailly at April 13, 2016 8:03 am.  Updated at April 13, 2016 11:04 am.

http://www.tvfanatic.com/slideshows/17-controversial-character-exits/?utm_campaign=541359148889a7e20800b8c8&utm_source=boomtrain&utm_medium=email&bt_alias=eyJ1c2VySWQiOiJiZDkyMzhjNS01Mjk0LTk3MDAtOGFlZi0wZjA2MDQ5NWRlYTQifQ%3D%3D

does he really believe this or is he just venting?

to kick start the pace of the show. Instead, all they've done is piss off fans worldwide and catered to the minority that ships Olicity.

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 1

That guy needs to find new talking points.

I do wonder why show runners would ever cater to a minority if the majority doesn't care or actively hates a storyline.

I have questions.

Apparently it's just because we ask them for stuff. Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 1

I'm always so amused when these authors proclaim they know what is the majority and what is the minority when it comes to the show because it usually boils down to whatever they think it is and not what it actually is.  That dude has no way of knowing that Olicity shippers are the minority any more than Olicity shippers know they're the majority.  If he can show his receipts from real network data, then I might choose to believe him.

• Love 10

To me it seems like the Laurel dying thing wasn't as big as they thought it would be. I'm not seeing too much of it the news anymore. I think Sara's death had a bigger reaction, probably because she was also part of the "bury your gays" trope. Then the Sleepy Hollow big death came about 2 days after Laurel's. I guess it'll get talked about again when they have her funeral. 

I think Arrow people are pretty grateful that the SH crap took some of the heat off them LOL

• Love 1

Did it? Now Arrow and Black Canary/Laurel are being mentioned whenever there's a write-up about the recent deaths on TV. What happened on Sleepy Hollow was the bigger story, but now Black Canary's is lumped in with the 'trend'.

• Love 1

Meh ... thanks for keeping Arrow in the press i guess. The whole purpose of this death that it would keep people talking. Its funny that only in death and only due to so many women dying is LL/BC getting any kind of coverage.

• Love 3

I think Arrow people are pretty grateful that the SH crap took some of the heat off them LOL

Except there really wasn't much outrage. Yeah a few bitter fans, as MG put it, The Vocal Minority but, that's it. The 100 and Sleepy Hollow are the one's who's deaths really upset both the fandom and the media. Arrow got nothing more than a shrug and acknowledgement that Laurel really was the easiest choice for the producers. Her death is "big" because she's a comic book character but, costs Arrow nothing because Laurel wasn't important to the storyline.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 20

My favorite part of the TV Fanatic Round Table was this...

Katie Cassidy isn't exactly going to be winning any acting accolades anytime soon, but she is certainly not SO bad she can't be written for at all.

LMAO! Like do y'all hear yourselves. 

• Love 13

The network, etc., aren't stupid, and they're in this to make money. They also have access to data that many of us on this website would absolutely SLOBBER to see, e.g., detailed Netflix data, including, I have heard, what scenes/episodes are FFd and what scenes/episodes are replayed. So, I feel entirely confident that O/F is not unpopular, bc the decisionmakers are in this to make money/be successful, and they have real reason to know, more or less, what storylines and relationships will make that happen. To me the simple fact that they are sticking with O/F is excellent evidence that O/F is popular.

• Love 12

I think O/F work on the show for now. I think that is why they are sticking with the couple. Stephen Amell plays Oliver like Felicity's is his whole world even if the writing plays it different at times. Actors and their choices are important to how the the audience sees the character. It's one of the reasons that the BMD is so hard to take. It doesn't feel something Stephen's Oliver would do. It was a total Ollie thing (which I get and it needs to be addressed and Oliver needs to realize and fix about himself). I mean Oliver would lie to Keep Felicity safe or even to keep the child safe but that was never shown to be what was happening. BM just didn't want to be usurped in her son's life by having Oliver& his new love be a functioning part of it. At least that is what I saw on screen :p. 

• Love 8

Yeah, her death specifically didn't make much of an impact.

That's why imo they should have killed her back in the S1 finale. There, the impact and buzz (no one is safe, for realz!) would have been maximum (and not hurtful because she was much, much more "polarizing" then imo) and death wasn't such an overused plot device on the show then.

• Love 8

Man oh MAN would that have been an incredible turn of events. It definitely would have upped the "no one is safe" factor of Tommy's death x10. Especially if:

-- Oliver had gotten to Laurel the same time he got to Tommy,

-- Tommy had gotten to Laurel just after she died in Oliver's arms, and

-- Malcolm Merlyn had actually died on that rooftop when Oliver left him to go find Laurel in the Glades.

Lance would have hated the Hood for killing his only remaining (so he thought) daughter, Tommy could have gone full on evil from the trauma of losing both Laurel and Malcolm due to Oliver's action/inaction, Oliver could have still made the "no kill" rule out of guilt of destroying his friend's life, when Sara showed up that could have been a redemptive moment for both Lance and Oliver, the GA/BC stuff would have been more, epic, and untainted.... *Sigh* So many good things could have happened.

• Love 4

6 Reasons Why Killing Laurel Lance Was the Right Move for Arrow

[Contributor: Marilyn] April 8, 2016
http://www.itsjustaboutwrite.com/2016/04/6-reasons-why-killing-laurel-lance-was.html

Laurel hasn’t had much of a storyline lately — not since she resurrected her sister earlier in the season (which was a haphazard plot if there ever was one). In fact, since she’s become the Black Canary, Laurel has mostly existed in the background of scenes. At times, it has felt as though the writers have looked for places to insert her in scenes and conversations. While Team Arrow’s home-base was larger this year, at times the new lair has felt crowded... and the missions have felt a little crowded as well. Laurel as Black Canary wasn’t providing a specific skill set to the team that no other member already fulfilled. Her Canary Cry was used so infrequently, that oftentimes, it felt the scenarios where it was used were crafted specifically so it would have a chance to be of use.
Because this is Oliver’s show, essentially, of course Laurel’s death will have a huge impact on him. For one thing, the flash-forward to the grave has already shown us that Oliver has officially moved beyond feeling overwhelming guilt for all the bad things that happens around him. Instead of feeling the burden weighing on his shoulders, he takes the opportunity to rise up and fight for justice. (Whether the same can be said of characters like Felicity and Diggle in the wake of Laurel’s death is yet to be determined.) This is a fantastic way to show that Oliver has moved beyond the brooding, guilt-ridden man we saw in earlier seasons. He’s now ready to live in the light, to embrace the rest of his team as full-fledged heroes with their own agency and to become a better hero.
For four seasons now, there’s been endless bickering in the Arrow fandom between those that prefer strict comic book canon, Laurel Lance, and the ship “Lauriver” and those that enjoy the canon the show has created, Felicity Smoak, and the ship “Olicity.” Occasionally, the disagreements are friendly and respectful. But the majority of the time, the disagreements online have gotten downright ugly. There have been accusations of bullying and harassment, with some of that bleeding beyond targeting fictional characters and, instead, targeting real people. The fans, creators, and even actors themselves have been subjected to this harassment. And while’s it’s been pretty clear that Arrow selected Olicity as the main romance several seasons ago, the ship wars have raged on. Perhaps now, with Laurel no longer a part of the show, her fans will finally let their anger go and move on, with a chance to forge more fandom harmony going forward.

It’s hard to say goodbye to a character, even one as polarizing as Laurel Lance, but I think Arrow will be better for this in the long run. This death provides the team with a real motivation to evolve and change and grow stronger — a motivation they have been lacking since the beginning of the season. Kudos to the writers and the creators for taking this bold risk. I believe it will pay off in the story in the seasons to come.

1.  It's a bold move to make.
2. It trims excess from the show.
3. It gives Quentin Lance some meaty story.
4. It honors Laurel’s arc as a hero.
5. It shows more of Oliver’s evolution.
6. The fandom will (hopefully) be better for it.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Except there really wasn't much outrage. Yeah a few bitter fans, as MG out it The Vocal Minority but, that's it. The 100 and Sleepy Hollow are the one's who's deaths really upset both the fandom and the media. Arrow got nothing more than a shrug and acknowledgement that Laurel really was the easiest choice for the producers. Her death is "big" because she's a comic book character but, costs Arrow nothing because Laurel wasn't important to the storyline.

I wasn't referring to outrage specifically. What I was trying to say is if Abbie's death in SH hadn't come so closely timing wise after Laurel's death, Laurel's might be getting a bit more media attention. Obviously, they may have come to the same conclusion that Laurel's death was ultimately NBD but I think there would have been more media attention to it if not for the IMO warranted blowup over Abbie.

Why ‘Arrow’ Doesn’t End With the Death of Laurel Lance
April 11, 2016
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-doesnt-end-death-laurel-lance/

Laurel’s death has been met with a lot of anger and criticism with some enraged fans claiming that there’s no Arrow without Laurel. But the fact of the matter is that Arrow is centered on one person’s journey: Oliver Queen. While Arrow is by no means all about Oliver – as we’ve seen with the exploration of the members of Team Arrow and their significance to this show – but it does revolve around him. Everything that happens has some kind of connection to him. In a high stakes world of crime fighting, where our heroes go up against mystical forces like Damien Darhk, the only one safe on Arrow is Oliver Queen. And even he died for a hiatus during season three.
I understand that there is outrage over Laurel’s death. Her fans, rightfully so, are angered over the death of their favorite character; a character that they assumed would always be safe in this world because she was the Black Canary. I won’t deny that I’d have been equally outraged if it had been Felicity or Diggle that had been in the grave because of how much they mean to me. So I understand their anger over Laurel’s death, but let’s make it clear: Arrow does not end with Laurel’s death. Her death is a significant plot point that will make her character more relevant than it has been all this season.
Also let’s not forget about the other characters on this show whose stories will live on long after Laurel’s death. This show was never called “Black Canary.” This has never been solely about one person. But if it was it wouldn’t have been Laurel — it would be Oliver, whose show this actually is.
A hero is someone who has given their life to something bigger than them. Arrow will live on without Laurel Lance, but she will be honored in death as she was in life.  And Laurel’s sacrifice will not be forgotten.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I wasn't referring to outrage specifically. What I was trying to say is if Abbie's death in SH hadn't come so closely timing wise after Laurel's death, Laurel's might be getting a bit more media attention. Obviously, they may have come to the same conclusion that Laurel's death was ultimately NBD but I think there would have been more media attention to it if not for the IMO warranted blowup over Abbie.

That's true, the media are pretty much the Dog from Up...Squirrel!

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

Laurel's death on Arrow and Abbie's death on Sleepy Hollow are in no way comparable, other than the fact that they both involve women.

Abbie and Ichabod were co-equal stars and partners on Sleepy Hollow, and a lot of the show's S1 success was due to this couple's chemistry. They were the two Witnesses. Every other character was there for support.  Therefore, Abbie's death was a big shock and fundamentally changes the show.  Although based on a Washington Irving short story called "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" about Ichabod Crane,* the TV adaptation was never called, nor was it about The Adventures of Ichabod Crane - it was always Sleepy Hollow.

(* Ironically, the ill-advised S2 focus on Ichabod & Katrina was closer to the original source canon than the show itself.  So in that instance, trying to adhere more closely to book canon backfired.  Moreover, book canon purists might argue that there is no Sleepy Hollow without Katrina.)

However, Arrow is and has always been about the Green Arrow.  Every character other than Oliver Queen is a supporting character.  To say that Laurel was sidelined is to assume that she was entitled to equal or a certain amount of story or screen time.  To say that her death is the death of the show is to assume that she is or was intended to be a co-equal star of the show.  Although Laurel actually got more independent story lines than any other character on the show not named Oliver, she did not get the most screen time and she is not the star of the show.  The show is not called Star(ling) City, nor is it called Arrow and Canary.  Moreover, the success of Arrow is not and has never been dependent on the partnership or chemistry between Oliver and Laurel.  If anything, their major fail as a couple contributed to the show going in another direction after S1. For all the talk of "game-changer", Laurel's death will not fundamentally change Arrow.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 11

A minute ago

Laurel's death on Arrow and Abbie's death on Sleepy Hollow are in no way comparable, other than the fact that they both involve women.

I was not comparing their deaths or what their deaths meant to each show. I did not say nor was I implying that Laurel's death deserved more or any attention over Abbie's because it obviously does not.

My only point was that if Abbie's death was not a thing that happened at all or happened a week later, IMO Laurel's demise would have received more media attention initially.  Abbie's death  rightly and correctly was given that attention. 

FTR, I am/was a devout SleepyHead from the pilot to the season 3 finale. Sang the praises of the show to everyone I knew. I shipped Ichabbie more than Olicity.   Feel free to peruse my posts on SH thread and you'll see my outrage over Abbie's death.

• Love 3

To clarify, I was not responding directly to anything you all posted here - but more generally to articles I've read in which the recent female tv deaths were compared on a similar level.  Reading your comments simply kickstarted my brain into thinking of those articles.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

To clarify, I was not responding directly to anything you all posted here - but more generally to articles I've read in which the recent female tv deaths were compared on a similar level.  Reading your comments simply kickstarted my brain into thinking of those articles.

Okay thanks for clarifying

It's just another example of how I'm spending way too much time thinking about Arrow.  I'll be browsing around reading stuff on the web, or doing real life stuff, or talking to people about entertainment news - and Arrow-related thoughts will percolate in my brain.  Then I'll come here and something I read will trigger my stored-up thoughts - and my words just spill out.

Anyway, I'll try to be more specific in the future.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

OK, this is pretty silly - but how often do you see Stephen Amell and Kate Middleton mentioned in the same article?...

Kate Middleton Can Shoot a Bow and Arrow in Heels: 10 Roles to Turn Her Into a Hollywood Heroine
by KENDALL FISHER Thu, Apr 14, 2016 2:45 PM
http://www.eonline.com/news/756828/kate-middleton-can-shoot-a-bow-and-arrow-in-heels-10-roles-to-turn-her-into-a-hollywood-heroine

Stephen Amell is very attractive, but Princess Kate would make for a really great main character in the CW's Arrow, saving the city as a vigilante with her new set of archery skills...all the while wearing this dress and her heels, duh.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

It's just another example of how I'm spending way too much time thinking about Arrow.  I'll be browsing around reading stuff on the web, or doing real life stuff, or talking to people about entertainment news - and Arrow-related thoughts will percolate in my brain.  Then I'll come here and something I read will trigger my stored-up thoughts - and my words just spill out.

. It's all goodI have the same problem about Supernatural. Like I relate too much to that show. It's a problem that's for sure

• Love 2

I was not comparing their deaths or what their deaths meant to each show. I did not say nor was I implying that Laurel's death deserved more or any attention over Abbie's because it obviously does not.

My only point was that if Abbie's death was not a thing that happened at all or happened a week later, IMO Laurel's demise would have received more media attention initially.  Abbie's death  rightly and correctly was given that attention. 

FTR, I am/was a devout SleepyHead from the pilot to the season 3 finale. Sang the praises of the show to everyone I knew. I shipped Ichabbie more than Olicity.   Feel free to peruse my posts on SH thread and you'll see my outrage over Abbie's death.

I only watched the pilot and the crossovers with Bones, but from that I was sure that Ichabod and Abbie were end game.  Any idea what happened? 

I sometimes worry about your constant exposure to so many "news" articles about Arrow.  Some of them are wonderfully written but a lot of them are incredibly maddening and I worry for my blood pressure after just a few of them.  Don't know how you keep it together.  There is a shocking amount of ignorance in some of those write ups.  

Anyway, here's a cute baby giraffe to ease some of your suffering.   

Oq0OQfv.jpg

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 5

I only watched the pilot and the crossovers with Bones, but from that I was sure that Ichabod and Abbie were end game. Any idea what happened?

Seems to be a case of FOX believing Ichabod was the main star/attraction of SH and forcing the female lead out (either fired or left because she saw the writing on the wall).

• Love 1

I come bearing gifs.

Question for KC: "What do you admire most about Oliver Queen […]?"

tumblr_n9cufzhbhY1qe75ueo1_250.gif tumblr_n9cufzhbhY1qe75ueo2_250.gif

tumblr_n9cufzhbhY1qe75ueo3_250.gif tumblr_n9cufzhbhY1qe75ueo4_250.gif

SA's horrified expression is a gift that keeps on giving.

Man, that last GIF is cringe-worthy. SA looks so done. Meanwhile, here are some fun GIFs from last year's IGN interview with Emily. He looks engaged. He and Emily make eye contact and they listen when the other one talks:

tumblr_nrqobg4Zqz1t4dx1eo1_540.gif

tumblr_nrqobg4Zqz1t4dx1eo4_540.gif

tumblr_nrqobg4Zqz1t4dx1eo5_540.gif

• Love 7