Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

I guess it just depends on how tied they were to the idea that they needed to associate Barry with Felicity to get people to like him. If they weren't that tied to it, he probably would've gotten the job anyway, they would've just dropped the whole crush storyline and introduced him some other way. If they were really tied to it, maybe they would've gone with another guy. It's impossible to tell.

• Love 1

And in casting, I imagine they went through a bunch of actors who all likely  went through numerous auditions. So Grant got through all of that on his own merit, before the chemistry test. 

This is besides the fact that I don't see the necessity of this as an extra one tv season later. 

I'm looking forward to it, and it's the extra that made me decide I'm gonna spend money on the Flash DVD. I haven't watched chem tapes in a while, those used to be fun in my pre-prod days.

And hey, you don't see the necessity of this extra, there's a super easy solution for that: you don't have to watch it when/if you buy the DVDs.

• Love 4

Probably because they wanted to pad The Flash DVD with extras, and they had some of the first footage of GG as Barry Allen lying around and figured they might as well use it? No DVD extras are necessary, it's just fun stuff that fans might want to see, hence the inclusion of it.

• Love 1

I'm looking forward to it, and it's the extra that made me decide I'm gonna spend money on the Flash DVD. I haven't watched chem tapes in a while, those used to be fun in my pre-prod days.

And not just for you. It's a clever marketing move to get Arrow viewers who are dithering whether to buy Flash DVDs pushed over the edge into buying them.

• Love 2

Honestly any pre-production, BTS stuff on DVD extras make them fun to watch. I love to see the chemistry tests. Its also fun when they show auditions of talented people who did not get the role. Sometimes things just aren't a good match. Not sure if I'll buy the Arrow (may just wait for a good sale) but I will definitely find a way to watch the DVD extras for both Arrow & Flash.

Sidenote - I think GG & EBR have more chemistry together than he has with any of his female co-stars & that she has with BR. So I am curious as to what their chemistry test will reveal. Glad, they did it. But perhaps it was just to see how either could handle romantic/flirty material. Who knows? Would love to be able to pick TPTB brains at times. I understand why they aborted a relationship between GG/FS, but I think I would have enjoyed 18 eps of them instead of BR. Likewise, the ATOM episodes could have be minimized to 3-4 & it would have been better for FS/RP.

• Love 4
(edited)

Sidenote - I think GG & EBR have more chemistry together than he has with any of his female co-stars & that she has with BR. So I am curious as to what their chemistry test will reveal. Glad, they did it. But perhaps it was just to see how either could handle romantic/flirty material. Who knows? Would love to be able to pick TPTB brains at times. I understand why they aborted a relationship between GG/FS, but I think I would have enjoyed 18 eps of them instead of BR. Likewise, the ATOM episodes could have be minimized to 3-4 & it would have been better for FS/RP.

Really? I think they're fine, but I don't see major sparks there. Although it could be because I don't see either one of them (GG or EBR) as particularly sexual, so whatever rapport they have always just seems friendly to me.

Edited by ruby24

Really? I think they're fine, but I don't see major sparks there. Although it could be because I don't see either one of them (GG or EBR) as particularly sexual, so whatever rapport they have always just seems friendly to me.

NO major sparks. I think there are some sparks there. Just more chemistry with each other than they have with some others. I also don't see it as particularly sexual. But I enjoy watching them interact with each other & play off each other (even if it is friendship) which is chemistry to me. I can't say that I have really been drawn or enjoyed the interactions between GG with his other female co-stars or EBR w/ BR. Most of those scenes sorta felt like they were missing something.

• Love 4
(edited)

Not all chemistry is "Sparks". Felicity and Barry are cute and fun. I could have enjoyed that relationship. I do think that while they bring the Smart guy out of each other, they both seem very young in that relationship. As if they are playing teens. It's less no sparks but a young holding hand stage sparks.

And I like Barry and Iris but they remain brother and sister to me. And Caitin too. So perhaps that's just GG's vibe?

So yeah I think seeing what was asked of EBR and GG will be interesting.

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 8
(edited)

Interesting tweet replies by Damien Holbrook, a Senior Writer for TV Guide Magazine (I guess we'll have to keep an eye out for TV Guide news this summer)...

EmilyBettFans Promo ‏@EmilyBettPromo  22h22 hours ago
Emily Bett Rickards and Stephen Amell's @TVGuideMagazine interview in 2013 was amazing! I'd love to see another one this year! #Olicity
Damian Holbrook ‏@damianholbrook  21h21 hours ago
@EmilyBettPromo I think you'll enjoy what we have this summer. :)
Regina Victoria ‏@MyFutureQueen  20h20 hours ago
@damianholbrook Thanks Damian! Not to be super greedy and grabby handsy but will the intvw also include a photoshoot? *fingers crossed* :)
Damian Holbrook ‏@damianholbrook
@MyFutureQueen you'll see.

12:02 PM - 18 Jun 2015

https://twitter.com/damianholbrook/status/611609836053073920

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Sidenote - I think GG & EBR have more chemistry together than he has with any of his female co-stars & that she has with BR.

Same. That is not to say I dislike WestAllen - I don't. Or Snowbarry I guess. But if there were no issues of inter-show relationships and comic book pairings and Felicity getting even more hate than she is now for getting in the middle of yet another comic book pairing....... I have to admit, I'd be on the Baricity train myself.

• Love 2
(edited)

Sidenote - I think GG & EBR have more chemistry together than he has with any of his female co-stars & that she has with BR. 

Yeah I agree. (well except for BR, haven't seen much of him)

GG has OK friendship chemistry with CP, but that's it. Nothing with DP, but I don't think she has it with anybody, she's a pretty bad actress (which is too bad because I want to like her).

But if there were no issues of inter-show relationships and comic book pairings and Felicity getting even more hate than she is now for getting in the middle of yet another comic book pairing....... I have to admit, I'd be on the Baricity train myself.

If I had to choose a pairing for both Felicity and Barry, I'd choose this one. No canon romances work for me, especially in The Flash (ugh).

And I like Barry and Iris but they remain brother and sister to me. And Caitin too. So perhaps that's just GG's vibe?

He had great sexual chemistry with Naya Rivera on Glee in that one number (I think it was "Smooth Criminal"). Which is really funny because both their characters were gay, but I guess you can't beat the chemistry.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1
(edited)

I agree, there's something about the way GG and EBR play Barry and Felicity. There's just something "more" there. I don't think I'm explaining this properly, but it's a connection that made me buy the flirtatiousness and cuteness in Arrow 207/208 and the deeper friendship in The Flash eps. I think EBR and BR have solid chemistry, too. I saw Corto Maltese last week and totally forgot they had that cute coffee scene. That and the helicopter scene were a lot of fun. If only ...

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 1

Not all chemistry is "Sparks". Felicity and Barry are cute and fun. I could have enjoyed that relationship. I do think that while they bring the Smart guy out of each other, they both seem very young in that relationship. As if they are playing teens. It's less no sparks but a young holding hand stage sparks.

So yeah I think seeing what was asked of EBR and GG will be interesting.

It seems to be. Or at least it is the way he plays Barry. Sometimes I wonder if he plays him a little too young and innocent. I forget how old he is, he seems like he could easily be 18 or 19.

• Love 3

I've quoted a portion of the article, but recommend reading the whole thing...

How #Olicity Has Made #Arrow a Better Show
JUNE 23, 2015
http://fangirlish.com/how-olicity-has-made-arrow-a-better-show/

When you make a show based on a comic book superhero, a main portion of your target audience is going to be that of the male variety. But it’s also going to be that of the female variety. Just like there needs to be a nice balance between the two, there needs to be a balance between action and romance. Not to sound cliché, but every superhero story has that epic love story that always pulls through in the end. Why? Because it’s something that tethers the hero to humanity, and the same applies to Arrow.

One of the complaints that these romance-haters seem to have grabbed onto is that there needs to be more action and less romance. I’m sorry, but the point of a show like Arrow and what’s been able to accomplish has been the nice balance between the two. Before Arrow paved the way for shows like The Flash, Gotham, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., etc., it was the lone superhero show on network television, but it didn’t give off that campy comic book vibe, which allowed a broader audience to find its appeal. While Arrow certainly used its action prowess as a hook, it was also about an emotional connection to the characters – and the main character – that ultimately grabbed fans.

Before Felicity walked into Oliver Queen’s life, he was a character that was hard to empathize with. Yes, he had just returned from an unspeakable five years of hell, but it was hard to connect to a character that was so closed off at all times. But Felicity, in her small early season 1 appearances, was able to bring out the Oliver Queen that we as an audience had been waiting for. You can have all the action you want, but if you don’t care about the characters then what’s the point?

• Love 4

One guy's opinion (no surprise, he's a comic book collector)...

Face-off: Ranking the 9 Best Comics-Based TV Shows
by Keith Rice June 25, 2015
http://www.wordandfilm.com/2015/06/face-off-how-do-marvel-dc-comics-tv-shows-stack-up/

6. "Arrow"
This time last year, "Arrow" would have topped this list regardless of the competition - season two of "Arrow" was simply just that good. The third season certainly had its high points - the lead-up to Ollie's first confrontation with Ra's Al Ghul, for instance - but overall, that nearly perfect mix of character drama, emotional pay-offs, and a brilliant finale from the previous season just couldn't be matched. The finale hinted at some huge status quo changes for Ollie and company when season four premieres this fall; perhaps it will be a return to form.

One guy's opinion (no surprise, he's a comic book collector)...

Face-off: Ranking the 9 Best Comics-Based TV Shows

by Keith Rice June 25, 2015

http://www.wordandfilm.com/2015/06/face-off-how-do-marvel-dc-comics-tv-shows-stack-up/

I like Daredevil as much as the next guy but really don't think it's the best comic book show out there, or the best show to be honest. I love Charlotte Cox so you'd think I'd like it more but all of its praise I don't feel is deserved.

• Love 2

That "article" was interesting.  It seemed to be saying things I liked but at the same time I felt like the person who wrote it thinks rather little of me. (A fan of Olicity)   Way too much use of "shippers" and "pander" and blaming season three on Olicity.  

Just me?  Am I reading in something that isn't there?

• Love 1
(edited)

That "article" was interesting.  It seemed to be saying things I liked but at the same time I felt like the person who wrote it thinks rather little of me. (A fan of Olicity)   Way too much use of "shippers" and "pander" and blaming season three on Olicity.  

Just me?  Am I reading in something that isn't there?

I didn't object to the use of the word shippers because that's a huge part of what the article is about. But the rest of the graf that I quoted actually did bother me because it mentions the criticisms and makes it sound like they are valid. The thing is, I don't think that's what the writer is trying to say at all, based on the links she provided. 

Olicity has been frequently blamed for a poorly-received third season, the writers spending too much time pandering to fans and forcing the relationship.

The bolded part I think is the writer trying to point out what the criticisms are. Instead, it comes across as the reason the third season is poorly received. The original sentence is poorly constructed, but I think what she meant is "that the writers were spending too much time pandering to fans and forcing the relationship."

The season had other weaknesses, and for once objections to Olicity weren’t about its lack of canonicity.

The beginning of that sentence implies the writer considers Olicity a weakness. Again, I don't think it's the writer's intent, but that's how it read to me as well.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 6
(edited)

I'm puzzled by which characters are being referenced in this quote...

Wikileaks Rumor: Former Sony Producer Calls DC Characters Corny
By Vamien McKalin, Tech Times | June 26, 11:37 PM

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/63605/20150626/wikileaks-rumor-former-sony-producer-calls-dc-characters-corny.htm

Some might say DC characters are not corny ... well, they can be sometimes. Just look at the CW shows The Flash and Arrow. The DC characters portrayed in these series are corny, some of them even unlikeable because of it. However, it doesn't mean Warner Bros. will bring the corniness to the big screen.
Edited by tv echo
(edited)

The CW is 1st Broadcast Network to Wrap Upfront Sales
By Jason Lynch  June 26, 2015, 8:32 PM EDT
http://www.adweek.com/news/television/cw-1st-broadcast-network-wrap-upfront-sales-165611

The CPM and volume increases also validate The CW President Mark Pedowitz's two big initiatives over the past two years: add male viewers and broaden the network's 18-34 audience. Thanks to The Flash, Arrow, The 100 and Supernatural, The CW's audience is now 45 percent male (up from 35 percent three years ago). And the network's median age is now 43, up from 37 three years ago.

The CW's first-place finish in the upfront sales race is another bold statement from the network this year, after renewing its entire fall 2014 lineup in January.

Its fall schedule includes only one new show (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend), with a third superhero series—Arrow/Flash spinoff DC's Legends of Tomorrow — on tap for midseason, likely adding even more male viewers.

CW Enjoys Volume Increase in Upfront Ad Sales
TV | By Linda Ge on June 26, 2015 @ 4:02 pm
http://www.thewrap.com/cw-enjoys-volume-increase-in-upfront-ad-sales/

The youth-skewing network saw an increase of 12-15 percent in total volume of ad sales and overall ad dollars from 2014. The company’s volume had hovered at approximately $400 million for the last few years. This year, they also saw an approximately 4 percent increase in CPM, or the unit price of reaching 1,000 people.

The network of “Arrow” and “The Flash” brought in 30 new advertisers, with automobiles, financials and retail the biggest categories among the new clients.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

More likely that they'll dump the extra money into another spinoff. I never thought I'd miss the days of blatant Microsoft product placement on the show, but at least it apparently allowed Arrow to have more than a handful of sets (RIP, Big Belly Burger)

• Love 5

Oh, I'd take Felicity being a hacker that uses a Surface tablet for the moneys in a second, yes please.

Smallville had pretty sets 100% because Chloe used MS Windows. And they legit did these 5 second camera push-ins from over her shoulder onto the computer screens to display to logo. Which was never not hilarious, but hey, pretty sets.

• Love 9

About Arrow Season 4 from the schedule released for SDCC Saturday July 11 --

Arrow – After defeating his most formidable foe to date and riding off into the sunset with longtime flame Felicity Smoak, Oliver Queen (a.k.a. The Arrow) left Starling City with the hopes of beginning a new life. But will Oliver ever truly be able to leave behind his past as the Arrow, and, if so, what becomes of the team he has worked so hard to assemble? Will Diggle, Thea, and Laurel be left to continue Oliver’s crusade without him? And with Malcolm Merlyn having ascended to the top of the League of Assassins as the new Ra’s al Ghul, is anyone really safe?

From Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television, Arrow airs Wednesdays at 8/7c on The CW, and Arrow: The Complete Third Season will be released on Blu-ray combo pack, DVD, and Digital HD on September 22.

If this has already been posted, feel free to delete this, Mods.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/344901-comic-con-schedule-for-saturday-july-11-2015

• Love 1
(edited)

For the love of all Grammar Gods, someone put a comma after "date" in the first line because it reads like Oliver defeated Ra's so he could date Felicity.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 3

Not sure what to think of the blurb writer forsaking show accuracy just to make that pun.

Raise your hand if you didn't catch that pun...lol

That's a terrible blurb. Badly written and rather boring.

• Love 4
(edited)

For the love of all Grammar Gods, someone put a comma after "date" in the first line because it reads like Oliver defeated Ra's so he could date Felicity.

Well he sorta did, didn't he? :)

But the whole summary is pretty off in my book. I mean it gets the gist of the show. But to me it does not describe the show that I watch. And its way too over dramatic for me, like a badly made promo for a movie.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

Yeah that S4 summary is pretty meh. Everyone knew Oliver would be coming back to the city eventually so the dramatic sounding question of his return falls flat. Also, long term flame? Oliver and Felicity had one date before it went to hell. I'd hardly call that long term. Haha. This show.

• Love 7
(edited)

I've listed the article's 5 reasons below, but recommend you read the entire article...

'Arrow:’ 5 Reasons Why Fans Love The Oliver/Felicity Aka ‘Olicity’ Relationship
By Amanda Ferris, Jun 27, 2015 01:00 PM EDT 
http://www.fashionnstyle.com/articles/66562/20150627/arrow-5-reasons-why-fans-love-oliver-felicity-olicity-relationship.htm

5. They Were Friends First
4. Oliver And Felicity Support One Another
3. She Inspires Oliver To Be A Better Person
2. Oliver And Felicity Respect One Another
1. They Balance Each Other Out.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 8
(edited)

At least the media makes good posters/covers for Arrow *side eyes CW PR*

tumblr_nqrtim5uTW1r2t96oo1_540.jpg

ALthough I must say, it's missing Diggle. Take out Roy and put Diggle in there and it would be the perfect cover

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 4