Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk: The Tribe Has Spoken

• Start Topic

23 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I think season 6 was better after the merge.  I'm curious what you'll think.

I am on episode nine and I do think that it's better. The sexism has died down a lot once they merged not even just the men and the women, but once they became one tribe and got rid of Roger. 

Rob is finally shaping up to be one of the better players in this season, if not the best. I'm still lukewarm on a lot of players, but it's getting better. 

• Love 2
On 12/14/2019 at 2:46 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Yep. Five episodes in and...I am really not liking this sixth season. It's a struggle to even come up with someone that I genuinely like.

Yeah. I started regularly watching Survivor on TV at season 7. Since then I've gone back and rewatched most seasons and picked up a couple I missed. I got most of the way through season 6, but I couldn't be bothered to finish it.

As a family bonding thing, I decided to show past seasons to my mom and watch them with her. She got hooked. Somewhere in there, my father got interested and started watching too. So my mom has seen almost 30 seasons and it's the one show we watch together weekly. (We're all disgusted by this season.)

After 30-ish seasons, my mother's favorite season remains season 13, Cook Islands. There are some fascinating people on there (Cao Boi) and the story that gets told that season is one if the more memorable ones.

I also love the season right before that, Panama (12). Cirie is both fun to watch as she learns to adapt to the environment and fascinating as a social and strategic force. Some of the other castaways clash regularly, but none of them come off as terrible people (to me, at least). Spoiled, lazy, half insane, but not inherently mean. I thought they did a good job of storytelling with this one too.

• Love 6
On 12/15/2019 at 4:13 PM, simplyme said:

Yeah. I started regularly watching Survivor on TV at season 7. Since then I've gone back and rewatched most seasons and picked up a couple I missed. I got most of the way through season 6, but I couldn't be bothered to finish it.

It IS a hard season to watch at times. Every time I think there's a redeeming moment, there's another moment that has frustrated me.

However. I just finished season six (wow, I am powering through the seasons, but it probably won't last) and I will say that the finale, plus the reunion episode, helped raise the season higher than it initially would have been for me. Granted, I've only seen five seasons now, two of those which I barely remember, but I was afraid that season six would forever be at the bottom. Now, it's shaping to be a pretty ok season. Nothing stellar, but not as horrible as it appeared to be.

As for Jenna winning, I think that between her and Matthew, it was well deserved. I do appreciate seeing what Jenna had to say after she was off Survivor and how she realized she had a lot of maturing to do. I do think, since she was 21 at the time, that it's absolutely true. She was still so incredibly young so I hope that she's matured since then. I know she's had her ups and downs over the years, but I hope she's matured past her mean girl bitchy entitled stage of her life. 

Still think Rob would have been a deserving winner, but I also understand if people were too angry at him. Matthew...was Matthew. I don't particularly think that he would have deserved the win.

Ultimately, season six? Definitely better in the second half and was fairly decent, overall. But it just showed for me that maybe all men and all women tribes don't really work. Or maybe it just depends on the cast. 

I guess on to season 7! And then, after season 7, I have to decide whether to watch season 10 or skip to season 13. I want to get the most important seasons down, the ones that I feel like a Survivor newbie NEEDS to watch, and then I'll get back around to watching a secondary list of seasons that SHOULD be watched, but aren't necessarily important to Survivor lore...at least not immediately important. 

By the way, I know that secondary list will include seasons 5 and/or 8 for me. 

I'm rewatching season 2, haven't seen it since it originally aired.  It's funny how different the editing and the play is.  There is not much strategy at all and the challenges are so simple.
They stood on a stump for ten hours (OMG), there was a group challenge that was just a slide puzzle.
They killed a pig!!  Crazy.
Watching the reward challenge in one of the last episodes and they're doing basic instant messaging which is entertaining.
Michael's burns were just as horrific as I remember them being.  The medical team seemed so unprepared compared to how fast they react now.  It took so long for anyone to help him.  I was worried he was going to get a horrific infection when he went in the water to cool his burns.

Edited by meatball77
  • Love 2
On 12/11/2019 at 5:34 AM, OutOfTheQuestion said:

It's because they actually were starving, and did need it.  In future seasons, production realized that watching a bunch of delirious, half-dead players didn't make for compelling TV

The producers may think that, but I haven't seen anything compelling about Survivor since it became The Total Idol Experience with no actual survival involved. 

I was looking at Sandra's pictures of her and Christa together the other day, and it reminded me of how much I used to love the show and how often I check out of entire seasons these days. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

The producers may think that, but I haven't seen anything compelling about Survivor since it became The Total Idol Experience with no actual survival involved. 

I was looking at Sandra's pictures of her and Christa together the other day, and it reminded me of how much I used to love the show and how often I check out of entire seasons these days. 

But keep in mind that it's been almost 20 years. What you found compelling and new 20 years ago might seem boring now. The old seasons probably hold up for you because you were fond of them. I mean, I started watching with season 7. I loved it. Going back and rewatching older seasons, I still love them. However, when I went back and watched seasons I had never seen? Holy Jebus. I made it through season 3 (mostly because I was hoping a lion would eat someone) and 90% of season 6. I've tried season 1 at least six times. I am never making it through that season. I'm just not.

I could do with less sitting around talking strategy (especially when it's just misdirection) and more camp life. I know my father liked when they showed both the challenges each episode as well as showing the cast doing things like attempting to fish. All talking tends to put him to sleep. Literally.

• Love 2

So I just made it through the second episode of S14, and it was so weird at TC to hear Jeff have to explain the rules about the HII.  It seemed like such a foreign concept.  

This was the season that did the haves/have nots twist (since their original twist of copying Cook Islands racially divided tribes didn't work out after the one girl dropped out).  The hapless Ravu tribe were the poor souls who lost the first IC, and thus had to start from scratch on a brand new beach with nothing.  Moto, on the other hand, was living like the tribes do now.  Anyway, it's just weird to see them actually suffering, and so early in the season.  It was day 5 and the Ravu tribe was so dehydrated that they were having trouble walking, and were having to resort to sucking water from leaves.  

This is the Survivor I miss.

• Love 1

I have mixed feelings about S14. There were a few people I enjoyed (Earl, Yau-Man, Michelle), some people I was neutral on or wavered on, and then some really problematic personalities. Holy Jebus, five minutes of Rocky gave me an eye twitch and urge to punch someone and I believe @fishcakes once called Lisi a flaming garbage heap (or similar). Very apt.

That said, there are some stupendously satisfying parts, especially The Blindside.

• Love 3

To me the most miserable collective group was absolutely Gabon. The tribe that got the upper hand early (Marcus, Charlie, Randy, Corinne) got super cocky and obnoxious, and then when the underdogs (Ken, Crystal, Matty, not all exactly darlings to begin with) got the power, THEY got super cocky and obnoxious. And the former "overdogs" got even MORE obnoxious. By the end pretty much everyone but Susie was unlikable.

This most recent season of course has its problems, and Edge of Extinction was horrible in terms of game structure, but Gabon still holds the title of my least favorite season overall.

Edited by tracyscott76
53 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Although Crystal loudly SCREAMING her vote for Randy will always be one of Survivor's funniest moments to me.

Well, yes. Points for that moment.

Well, now I'm halfway through season 7 (Pearl Islands) and man, is this season actually pretty good. I can see why a lot of people enjoy it. Plus, some of the scenes felt a bit familiar, so there's a chance I did see this season years ago. Not enough for me to remember for sure, but there are some shots which seemed nostalgic for me. 

But now, with season 40 being all about winners, it seems like there may be a chance I need to adjust my binge watching list. I don't know which winners for season 40 won which season but now, I gotta ask if there are any seasons that have winners that are on season 40 that I should watch first? Because, if I'm going to watch season 40, I should at least know who half the contestants are. 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

But now, with season 40 being all about winners, it seems like there may be a chance I need to adjust my binge watching list. I don't know which winners for season 40 won which season but now, I gotta ask if there are any seasons that have winners that are on season 40 that I should watch first? Because, if I'm going to watch season 40, I should at least know who half the contestants are. 

Spoiler

All-Stars (Season 8 ) seems like a candidate for viewing to see how Rob and Amber got together, since they'll both be on this season. You're already watching 7 for Sandra's first win, but Heroes vs. Villains (20) shows her at her best, in my opinion; not just for how she won, but her overall demeanor. And Guatemala (Season 11), which is funny because it's hardly on anyone's must-watch list (except mine), but Danni (the winner) seems to be fondly remembered by many and a long hoped-for returnee.

I put this in spoiler tags because it suddenly occurred to me that you might not know specifically who is going to be on Season 40, and I gave away several winners! For the record, the seasons I mentioned are 8 (All-Stars), 11 (Guatemala) and 20 (Heroes vs. Villains).

Edited by tracyscott76
9 hours ago, simplyme said:

Holy Jebus, five minutes of Rocky gave me an eye twitch and urge to punch someone and I believe @fishcakes once called Lisi a flaming garbage heap (or similar). Very apt.

Ha. I don't remember saying that, but I stand behind it nonetheless.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, now I'm halfway through season 7 (Pearl Islands) and man, is this season actually pretty good. I can see why a lot of people enjoy it. Plus, some of the scenes felt a bit familiar, so there's a chance I did see this season years ago. Not enough for me to remember for sure, but there are some shots which seemed nostalgic for me. 

Here is the list of S40 contestants (to those who don't want to know, please don't click on it).  http://insidesurvivor.com/cast/survivor-season-40-cast-revealed

In fact, I'm posting the rest as a spoiler just in case people aren't aware whose returning, but this is what I would recommend watching:

Spoiler

I would watch S13 (Cook Islands), S20 (Heroes vs Villains), S28 (Cagayan) and S29 (San Juan Del Sur).  S13 has a winner returning, as well as where Parvati got her start-she later won another season, and appeared on HvsV.  S20 because it features 4 past or future winners that are appearing on S40 (Rob,Sandra, Parvati, and Tyson).  S28 and S29 for the same reasons as S13-their respective winners are returning for S40, and S28 has Sarah Lacina and S29 has Jeremy Collins, both who won in later seasons. 

And you can always watch one of Rob's many attempts before he finally won in S22 (Redemption Island)-S4 (Marquesas), S8 (All-Stars, which also features Amber and S3 winner Ethan, both who are returning for S40), S20 for the reasons mentioned above, and S22.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Here is the list of S40 contestants (to those who don't want to know, please don't click on it).  http://insidesurvivor.com/cast/survivor-season-40-cast-revealed

In fact, I'm posting the rest as a spoiler just in case people aren't aware whose returning, but this is what I would recommend watching:

Reveal spoiler

I would watch S13 (Cook Islands), S20 (Heroes vs Villains), S28 (Cagayan) and S29 (San Juan Del Sur).  S13 has a winner returning, as well as where Parvati got her start-she later won another season, and appeared on HvsV.  S20 because it features 4 past or future winners that are appearing on S40 (Rob,Sandra, Parvati, and Tyson).  S28 and S29 for the same reasons as S13-their respective winners are returning for S40, and S28 has Sarah Lacina and S29 has Jeremy Collins, both who won in later seasons. 

And you can always watch one of Rob's many attempts before he finally won in S22 (Redemption Island)-S4 (Marquesas), S8 (All-Stars, which also features Amber and S3 winner Ethan, both who are returning for S40), S20 for the reasons mentioned above, and S22.

Thanks for this list!

I probably won't watch all of Rob's seasons, but I'll probably watch season 8 (though I might come back to watch that season if I have time before season 40). 

I know some of the winners of those seasons mentioned (because I've just happened to come across spoilers in the many years that some of those seasons have been out) so I'm not expecting myself to remain totally unspoiled. But at least I'll get to see how some of the seasons played out for the winners.

Season 20 is one that I keep hearing great things about. I know it has players from past seasons that I've never watched and may not get around to, so there's no stopping that, since there's not a high chance I'll be able to watch all 19 seasons before that (minus three seasons now). 

I just want to be able to get at least one season of at least half of the winners coming for season 40, even if I don't get around to all of them. As long as I get around to one season of the most memorable/best winners (and even maybe one or two of the very worst, just for laughs or frustration), then I won't be totally lost when season 40 rolls around and people start making references that are relative to the winners' past seasons!

Yes, definitely Cook Islands! It was the one and only season of Survivor where the person I liked best from Day 1 actually won.  (I'm pretty sure the winner was A LOT of people's fave from Day 1.)  I don't know how cryptic I should be because I'm not sure if you know who actually won that season.

ETA: Also, Cook Islands features the most epic fire-making contest EVER.  

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Rachel RSL said:

ETA: Also, Cook Islands features the most epic fire-making contest EVER. 

lol, that's one way to put it XD 

1 hour ago, Rachel RSL said:

Yes, definitely Cook Islands! It was the one and only season of Survivor where the person I liked best from Day 1 actually won.  (I'm pretty sure the winner was A LOT of people's fave from Day 1.)  I don't know how cryptic I should be because I'm not sure if you know who actually won that season.

I don't recall on the top of my head, but Cook Islands is definitely one that I want to watch, as well. I'm glad I can't say who won right now; it'll make my watch that much more enjoyable 🙂

So, with me almost being done season 7 (I'm on episode 12 now), the question is if I watch season 8 or skip ahead to Cook Islands. 

1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I don't recall on the top of my head, but Cook Islands is definitely one that I want to watch, as well. I'm glad I can't say who won right now; it'll make my watch that much more enjoyable 🙂

So, with me almost being done season 7 (I'm on episode 12 now), the question is if I watch season 8 or skip ahead to Cook Islands. 

If it were me I’d do Cook Islands.

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

If it were me I’d do Cook Islands.

I concur!

Had to edit this because I got my seasons mixed up but now that I’ve Googled season 8 lol, yes, definitely jump ahead to Cook Islands! 

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

But now, with season 40 being all about winners, it seems like there may be a chance I need to adjust my binge watching list.

You might be able to get away with doing something similar to what I'm doing in this off-season.

I'm going through and watching just the finales of most of the seasons that the S40 cast were in as a reminder of how they won their season.  Most of those finales will have recaps in the first 5-10 minutes of the episode, and a brief summary of each player still left as the finale starts, so they'll serve as a decent refresher.  I've already done S24, but the next one won't be until January, and I'm not sure which one it'll be yet.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, SVNBob said:

You might be able to get away with doing something similar to what I'm doing in this off-season.

I'm going through and watching just the finales of most of the seasons that the S40 cast were in as a reminder of how they won their season.  Most of those finales will have recaps in the first 5-10 minutes of the episode, and a brief summary of each player still left as the finale starts, so they'll serve as a decent refresher.  I've already done S24, but the next one won't be until January, and I'm not sure which one it'll be yet.

Huh. That might work!

I'll watch the full seasons of ones that I actually want to watch, and then for the rest, I'll just watch the finales of those seasons. I never even thought about doing that!

All the past talk of of seasons made me want to take on a monumental challenge - watching and rewatching everything. I realize I won't even come near finishing anything before Season 40 starts, but I already started and am the kind of person who simply has to start at the beginning. Three episodes into Season 1 so far. I only saw the finale originally. Richard isn't Machiavellian quite yet. And everyone seems so damn nice to each other! They don't want to vote anyone off lol.

• Love 3

Well I'm just about to start on the season 7 finale but I had to rant a little bit about Burton from season 7, who I started off really liking but when he befriended Jonny Fairplay, he really got on my bad side. He basically transported into season 6 pre-merge territory with the sexism and the whole "these women are stupid and can't do anything" despite the fact that he was voted out and let back IN the game...and then got outplayed. And he's whining in his confessional about how Lil betrayed him, even though he betrayed her first, which is why she turned on him. 

As for Sandra, she does have the strategy and is a smart individual. She is living up to her legendary status, especially since she hasn't won a thing, hasn't gotten even close to winning, and was an outcast at a couple of points. 

As for Jon...I can see why people don't like him. He's playing hard, but man is he an unlikeable human being. He's not even all that smart. I'll give him props for some of his moves, but man oh man....I'm so disappointed he lasted this long in the game when he should have been out pre-merge.

Lil is...annoying when she whines. And Darrah's just kind of there. She only is memorable because she won three immunity challenges back to back. Otherwise, she's forgettable. 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

As for Sandra, she does have the strategy and is a smart individual. She is living up to her legendary status, especially since she hasn't won a thing, hasn't gotten even close to winning, and was an outcast at a couple of points. 

For me, she earned her status as a legend when Johnny Assplay tried to come at her and she just went "LOOK! I CAN GET LOUD TOO!"  I have been a Sandra fangirl ever since.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

For me, she earned her status as a legend when Johnny Assplay tried to come at her and she just went "LOOK! I CAN GET LOUD TOO!"  I have been a Sandra fangirl ever since.

Yep, Sandra having Jon's number from the start is a MAJOR plus to her. I laughed when she was completely unimpressed by Jon's dead grandmother story. I know that, if it HAD been true, then Sandra would be considered a cold villain...but honestly, I'd probably still love her, just because it's Jon that she was against.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Yep, Sandra having Jon's number from the start is a MAJOR plus to her. I laughed when she was completely unimpressed by Jon's dead grandmother story. I know that, if it HAD been true, then Sandra would be considered a cold villain...but honestly, I'd probably still love her, just because it's Jon that she was against.

"FAIRPLAY'S BUDDY."

Heh.

Well, I just started Cook Islands. First thought? I guess I missed out on the introductions of the Hidden Immunity Idol AND Exile Island! I guess I'll have to go back to watch those seasons!

As for the twist of this season, it's one that I'm not so sure about yet. It certainly is a social experiment...but one that I don't know will go well or not. I guess I'll keep watching to find out.

Now that I also have seen the entire cast, and have heard three specific names pop up (maybe more? But three for sure that I know are from this season), I have a good idea on who wins...but I'm not upset about it.

I just finished with the first episode and at least they have me intrigued.

I'm liking Yul, I'm liking Ozzy, I like Stephannie, and that's about it at the moment. I don't hate anyone yet, but I just don't know the others too well.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, I just started Cook Islands. First thought? I guess I missed out on the introductions of the Hidden Immunity Idol AND Exile Island! I guess I'll have to go back to watch those seasons!

The Hidden Immunity Idol had its embryonic beginnings in Season 11, which is relevant for the All-Winners Season. It led to a favorite sequence of mine, part of the reason I really enjoy that season. Exile Island first showed up in Season 12, which is not really relevant for the All-Winners Season, although it's certainly worth watching otherwise.

6 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

For me, it was when she said to Burton, "I'm writing Lil's name down big as shit, don't even worry about it," on the day that she successfully plotted to vote Burton off again. She is, hands down, the best liar this show has ever seen.

6 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I loved her Letterman interview after she won. She explained that because she knew Granny had raised Jon and therefore must be evil, she didn't care if she was dead. And upon learning the woman was alive, she didn't care about that either.

• LOL 7
26 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

The Hidden Immunity Idol had its embryonic beginnings in Season 11, which is relevant for the All-Winners Season. It led to a favorite sequence of mine, part of the reason I really enjoy that season. Exile Island first showed up in Season 12, which is not really relevant for the All-Winners Season, although it's certainly worth watching otherwise.

This is good to know. If I can get through the most important seasons before season 40 starts, I will have to circle back to season 11 to watch!

2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Heh.

As for the twist of this season, it's one that I'm not so sure about yet. It certainly is a social experiment...but one that I don't know will go well or not. I guess I'll keep watching to find out.

Now that I also have seen the entire cast, and have heard three specific names pop up (maybe more? But three for sure that I know are from this season), I have a good idea on who wins...but I'm not upset about it.

I just finished with the first episode and at least they have me intrigued.

I'm liking Yul, I'm liking Ozzy, I like Stephannie, and that's about it at the moment. I don't hate anyone yet, but I just don't know the others too well.

There was a lot of controversy over the twist that season.  Some sponsors dropped out, although they said it had nothing to do with the theme and that they were just moving on.  I thought some of the dynamics were interesting, such as Cao Boi feeling like an outsider because he was a refugee, while his Asian tribe mates were all born in the US and appeared to led cushier lives from the beginning than he did.  

Knowing how the idol is played now, this season had some very interesting play with it, considering the rules were different.  I kind of feel like that may be why they changed the idol rules.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

The Cook islands idol could be played after the votes were read. 

Spoiler

There are some who rank Yul lower in the pantheon of winners because he had such a powerful weapon in his arsenal. (Not me, I love you Yul!)

I feel like that version of the idol may have made a comeback in a later season? Something to do with Tyler Perry? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I've got $5 on you not liking Ozzy by the end of the second episode. He has a nasty side.

• Love 2

For a brief history on Idols-the first one was introduced in Guatemala, and could only be played BEFORE the votes were cast.  

In Exile Island and Cook Islands, it could only be played after the vote.  

Starting with Fiji onward, it had to be played before the vote were read, with the exception of super idols or the Tyler Perry idol we saw in two seasons.  The super idol was for Koah Rong, and involved two pieces of a HII owned by two different people that, when combined, could be played after the vote was read (I think this might have been used in another season as well).  The Tyler Perry idol was given its name by the fans.  It wasn’t really anything special or different, except it was introduced in Cagayan and could be played after the vote was read to save someone.  So basically an old school idol idea that hasn’t been seen since Cook Islands, but fans gave it the name Tyler Perry because Probst said he suggested they have an idol have that power.  After that, idols went back to the rule of being played before the votes were read (again, unless it was a super idol or one time special idol). 

29 minutes ago, simplyme said:

I've got $5 on you not liking Ozzy by the end of the second episode. He has a nasty side.

This doesn’t have anything to do with Ozzy,  but it made me remember one of my favorite moments (and perhaps cringe worthy) involving Billy in the second episode.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

This doesn’t have anything to do with Ozzy,  but it made me remember one of my favorite moments (and perhaps cringe worthy) involving Billy in the second episode.  

Every time I watch that, I laugh so hard I cry. I also simultaneously cringe. OMG.

• LOL 3
9 hours ago, simplyme said:

So...finished episode 4 last night, and I will say that I don't like Ozzy as much as I did in episode 1. There are certainly people that I like better than Ozzy...but there are also people I like less than Ozzy as well (such as...Adam....Cao Boi...Jessica....Jonathan...). He DOES have a nasty side and seems like he's a cocky guy. But my other issue is that I didn't like Billy either. I did have to laugh at the whole Billy/Candice thing, though. That was cringeworthy but hilarious. 

So, right now, not hating Ozzy...yet? 

ETA: Halfway through episode 5 and add in Nate to the ones who I like less than Ozzy. 

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 5
On 12/20/2019 at 3:44 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Well I'm just about to start on the season 7 finale but I had to rant a little bit about Burton from season 7, who I started off really liking but when he befriended Jonny Fairplay, he really got on my bad side. He basically transported into season 6 pre-merge territory with the sexism and the whole "these women are stupid and can't do anything" despite the fact that he was voted out and let back IN the game...and then got outplayed. And he's whining in his confessional about how Lil betrayed him, even though he betrayed her first, which is why she turned on him. 

As for Jon...I can see why people don't like him. He's playing hard, but man is he an unlikeable human being. He's not even all that smart. I'll give him props for some of his moves, but man oh man....I'm so disappointed he lasted this long in the game when he should have been out pre-merge.

Lil is...annoying when she whines. And Darrah's just kind of there. She only is memorable because she won three immunity challenges back to back. Otherwise, she's forgettable. 

I've been rewatching and the sexism is pretty strong in most of the early seasons.  It's interesting to see how things have changed because the editing in general.  There's all these bathing scenes complete with the men talking about how nice it is to bathe with the women.  Hell, just Richard Hatch in general.  He's so lothesome in all-stars flashing his junk everywhere when the girls are obviously uncomfortable with it (although their small penis jokes are funny).

Lil is one of my least favorite characters.  She is so whiny all the time and has no backbone.  She's so afraid that people won't like her.  The flack that she got from people for lying while wearing the boy scout uniform (that the show insisted she wear) is just absurd.

On 12/20/2019 at 3:48 PM, Rachel RSL said:

I Ioved her attitude twards him and really others in general.  She had no problem calling you out.  She also had no problem letting others take the blame when she dumped the fish. 

On 12/20/2019 at 7:03 PM, Rachel RSL said:

I still remember his buddy’s solemn words:

”She died, dude.”

Jeff loathed Fairplay and it was pretty entertaining how obvious it was from the first tribal council when he showed up drunk to his reactions at the reunion.  Although the show calling the dead grandmother and she answered the phone, that was entertaining.

I just started Allstars and the romantic in me is watching as much to see Rob and Amber's courtship as anything else.  They have four kids!  Amber is so young in the episodes of Africa (which had to be by far one of the worst seasons survival wise, they had to stay up to keep watch for lions!).

I do miss some of the more simple challenges and would love to see some of them again.  Ones that required memory or for the players to eliminate each other.  Anything besides an obstacle course followed by a puzzle.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, meatball77 said:

Amber is so young in the episodes of Africa (which had to be by far one of the worst seasons survival wise, they had to stay up to keep watch for lions!).

Amber wasn't in Africa (Season 3), she was in Australia (Season 2).

1 hour ago, meatball77 said:

Jeff loathed Fairplay and it was pretty entertaining how obvious it was from the first tribal council when he showed up drunk to his reactions at the reunion.  Although the show calling the dead grandmother and she answered the phone, that was entertaining.

Didn't Fairplay get into a fight with Probst's brother?  I want to say it was as the Vanuatu reunion, and after that Fairplay was supposedly banned from Survivor events.  Probst didn't want him back for S16, but he was over rided on that decision (some rumors said that they cast Fairplay with the understanding he'd be the first to go anyway, but at least they could say they weren't blackballing him).

• Love 2

Two episodes to go in the first season. I miss the kinds of challenges they had back then. They seemed much more creative than the crap we got this season. Watching the Pagonging is sad. And Sean's alphabet strategy and his blindness to the Tagi alliance makes him just so incredibly dumb. I know what would come later in All Stars, but Rich actually comes off as more likeable to me than Sue in this season.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Didn't Fairplay get into a fight with Probst's brother?  I want to say it was as the Vanuatu reunion, and after that Fairplay was supposedly banned from Survivor events.  Probst didn't want him back for S16, but he was over rided on that decision (some rumors said that they cast Fairplay with the understanding he'd be the first to go anyway, but at least they could say they weren't blackballing him).

It was the Vanuatu reunion. At the afterparty, he got into an argument with Jeff's brother and he also groped an unnamed female contestant, both of which angered Jeff enough to ban him from future Survivor events. Since it was Vanuatu, I'm thinking maybe the woman Fairplay grabbed was Julie, who Jeff was in a fairly long relationship with after the season ended. I think they were already dating by the time of the reunion, but I'm not sure about that.

• Love 2

Ok, so I finished Cook Islands. I will say that I was very happy with how things played out. I might even say that this is my favourite season that I've watched this month. I really found myself enjoying some of the players, and even ended up annoyed by others, but had an active player to root for the entire time. 

Pearl Islands was good...but Cook Islands may edge it out of the winner's circle for me at the moment. 

Now, onto season 16, I guess?

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Ok, so I finished Cook Islands. I will say that I was very happy with how things played out. I might even say that this is my favourite season that I've watched this month. I really found myself enjoying some of the players, and even ended up annoyed by others, but had an active player to root for the entire time. 

Pearl Islands was good...but Cook Islands may edge it out of the winner's circle for me at the moment. 

Now, onto season 16, I guess?

Wow, your getting through these fast!  Glad you enjoyed Cook Islands.  Micronesia is a top 10 season for me, and I know that's the case for a lot of people.  It has some really good moments, and perhaps the most bone headed move ever made on Survivor.  Since you just watched Cook Islands with Parvati, this might be a good one to go to see how her game play evolved.   

Two episodes to go in the first season. I miss the kinds of challenges they had back then. They seemed much more creative than the crap we got this season. Watching the Pagonging is sad. And Sean's alphabet strategy and his blindness to the Tagi alliance makes him just so incredibly dumb. I know what would come later in All Stars, but Rich actually comes off as more likeable to me than Sue in this season.

I think Sean's strategy with the ABC strategy was more jury management, to say he wasn't getting his hands dirty when voting people off.  However, the way he went about explaining it, his indecisiveness over other things, and his overall personality and demeanor didn't exactly give him a ringing endorsement that he wasn't being an idiot.  One of my favorite challenges was the obstacle course they did right before the merge, and some military guys showed up to go over the challenge with them.  It just seemed like such a big deal and nice touch.  I really loved the individual challenges that season, too.  

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Wow, your getting through these fast!  Glad you enjoyed Cook Islands.  Micronesia is a top 10 season for me, and I know that's the case for a lot of people.  It has some really good moments, and perhaps the most bone headed move ever made on Survivor.  Since you just watched Cook Islands with Parvati, this might be a good one to go to see how her game play evolved.   

To be fair, the only reason I'm getting through them is because I've been sick with nothing else to do. Once I feel better and I get back to work full-time, I'm sure I won't be going through a season in two-three days. Plus, it's helpful when I can fast forward through some of the slower moments, especially in the finales, where I probably don't need to watch them reminisce about their 14-17 other players for five minutes.

When I saw that Micronesia is Fans vs Favourites and I don't know half the favourites, it does make me a little worried about what I've missed...but since this season sounds like it's a good one, and since I've grown to like Parvati, I'll watch it through. 

8 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

To be fair, the only reason I'm getting through them is because I've been sick with nothing else to do. Once I feel better and I get back to work full-time, I'm sure I won't be going through a season in two-three days. Plus, it's helpful when I can fast forward through some of the slower moments, especially in the finales, where I probably don't need to watch them reminisce about their 14-17 other players for five minutes.

When I saw that Micronesia is Fans vs Favourites and I don't know half the favourites, it does make me a little worried about what I've missed...but since this season sounds like it's a good one, and since I've grown to like Parvati, I'll watch it through. 

FvF was the very first season of Survivor I watched, and I loved it even though I hadn't seen any of the favorites play before!