Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk: The Tribe Has Spoken

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

To be fair, the only reason I'm getting through them is because I've been sick with nothing else to do. Once I feel better and I get back to work full-time, I'm sure I won't be going through a season in two-three days. Plus, it's helpful when I can fast forward through some of the slower moments, especially in the finales, where I probably don't need to watch them reminisce about their 14-17 other players for five minutes.

When I saw that Micronesia is Fans vs Favourites and I don't know half the favourites, it does make me a little worried about what I've missed...but since this season sounds like it's a good one, and since I've grown to like Parvati, I'll watch it through. 

Funny, I started binge watching old seasons when I got really sick once, and enjoyed re-watching them so much I go back in between seasons to re-watch one I haven't yet.

The only season I'd say would be worth watching for a FvsF player would be Exile Island and Cirie, because she made subsequent appearances since, and is very much a legend.  As a whole, I don't think EI was the greatest season in the world, though it was the season where the concept of Exile Island was born, and the second season to feature the idol.  It did have some interesting cast members, but I'd normally say skip it if not for Cirie.  Though it might be interesting to watch the other seasons she appeared in (Heroes vs Villains and Game Changers), and go back after to when it all started for her.

Yau-Man and Fiji, you aren't really missing a whole lot when it comes to that season.  I want to say Yau-Man was the first person to plant a fake idol.  Similarly with Vanuatu and Ami/Eliza, and China with James/Amanda.  What you see on FvsF pretty much brings you up to speed with their previous seasons.  And James/Amanda make an appearance in HvsV as well, but again, nothing you aren't going to see here or in their original season that you are missing out on. 

I think you've watched the other seasons featuring favorites? 

• Love 1

That's good to know! I'll have to go back to watch Exile Island!

And good to know about the Favourites' past seasons. I have watched the other favourite's past seasons, so I was curious if I NEEDED to watch the others' seasons...good that I don't necessarily have to.

I'm at the merge episode of Micronesia right now. This season is certainly interesting to watch. A surprising fan that I was actually rooting for but got voted out was Tracy. I'm not sure why I was rooting for her more than any of the other favourites; maybe because she was actually playing the game and was likeable as the underdog. She did a great job at trying to stay in, and she saved herself and her lousy alliance's butts a couple of times. I know Tracy doesn't make another appearance, but she's one I wouldn't mind seeing again. She impresed me.

And man...Jason's really...dumb, isn't he? That fake idol stuff, though hilarious, was obviously fake. I totally get why Eliza had to at least try, but at least she knew that it was likely fake. 

As for Parvati's alliance with Alexis and Natalie...honestly, because I still can't recall any important information about either girl because I'm pretty sure they haven't gotten more than five minutes of airtime total in these nine episodes. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

As for Parvati's alliance with Alexis and Natalie...honestly, because I still can't recall any important information about either girl because I'm pretty sure they haven't gotten more than five minutes of airtime total in these nine episodes. 

Oh you are about to see much more of Natalie.  I remember at the time she had a nothing edit, then all of a sudden bam her confessionals went into overdrive and she was um...odd.

• Love 3

Yau-Man was awesome. You got these alpha dudes that Probst obviously loves, and then you got this little old man that can surpass them. Can't break a box? Drop it on its corner. Alpha dudes mocking you as you get ready to hurl a flaming ball? Use physics to make the target. I called him "Yauda." It's a pity he didn't last long on S16.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, BK1978 said:

Oh you are about to see much more of Natalie.  I remember at the time she had a nothing edit, then all of a sudden bam her confessionals went into overdrive and she was um...odd.

Yep. I'm a few episodes ahead now (almost at the finale) and...yep, Natalie certainly got a jump in screentime. But I don't think it was for the better; I prefer Alexis, and she just got voted out. 

• Love 2

And...just finished Micronesia. Yep, this goes at the very top of my favourite list right now, definitely just above Cook Islands for me. That was just such a great season. Not only was there a successful female alliance, something not seen a whole lot in reality shows like this (at least between Big Brother and the seasons of Survivor that I've watched), but the females led some pretty epic and memorable blindsides. Each of the final 3 were worthy of a win. I'd even say that I wouldn't have been mad if Natalie somehow won. A lot of the females this season were very strong, even when I didn't expect them to be so great at the game. 

As for the men? Having two different medical evacuations from the two men that could have potentially screwed the women from having an all female final four (but even then, both James and Jonathan weren't exactly winning a whole bunch of challenges of their own) and seeing Ozzy pale considerably in challenges compared to Cook Islands (like, seriously, he failed a LOT of those challenges so I guess it proves that Ozzy is only as good as his alliance that he's with), I guess the women were just stronger this season. And I honestly absolutely love it.

A lot of fun moments, especially after the merge and definitely had me rooting for Parvati when I didn't expect to (but a Cirie win would have been lovely; I would have also been content with an Amanda win). 

And now....FINALLY onto Heroes vs Villains! I don't think I have to watch any of seasons 17, 18, or 19 right now. I'll set any secondary seasons aside once I get through these important, primary seasons. 

Also, after Heroes vs Villains, I forget which season I need to watch next. Season 22 or season 24?

• Love 3

Ah. I had to take a couple of days off for HvV, but I just finished episode 7, the episode where Rob is voted out. I can see why people like this season a lot. There's a lot of entertaining moments. I will say that a couple of the challenges seem lackluster, especially when they....say, play two challenges in a row that involve them throwing a ball in a basket, but the tribes make it entertaining.

What happened to James? Having JUST watched him on Micronesia, he seemed to take a total 180 and proved he should have been a Villain! He became quite nasty at times. I felt bad for people like Stephenie and Colby, who were mere targets to his nasty behaviour. 

I liked Tom a lot, so I will have to go back to watch his season. I'm sad that Cirie left so early, but I totally get why.

Meanwhile...because I also haven't watched Russell's season but do know him by name (also thanks to his family members showing up in other reality TV that I do watch), I am not surprised at his role. Him and Parvati aren't the people I ever expected to pair up but it is entertaining to watch them play together. 

Jerri and Colby return! Remember about three weeks ago when I started watching season 2 and declared how much I hated Jerri? It feels like forever since I've seen her season. 

I'm entertained to see how things go now.

12 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Jerri and Colby return! Remember about three weeks ago when I started watching season 2 and declared how much I hated Jerri? It feels like forever since I've seen her season.

I hated Coach his original season but really liked him in HvV, mostly due to his adorkable crush on Jerri!

if you are able, make sure to watch the Ponderosa videos for this season. IMO this was one of - if not the - most fun Ponderosas!

• Love 1
Just now, RescueMom said:

I hated Coach his original season but really liked him in HvV, mostly due to his adorkable crush on Jerri!

I definitely find myself liking Coach. I need to also go back to watch HIS original season. 

If I can find Ponderosa videos available for a Canadian such as myself, I'll be sure to do that after I finish the season. I should be done this season by New Years Eve (maybe today if I sit down to watch it today), and since I'll be at home pet sitting for my sister, that means I need a whole new season to start watching. I'm skipping Redemption Island for now because, although I know that's the season that Rob won, I've heard more negative things than positive. So I'll probably go watch One World, I think. Drink some wine, watch some Survivor.

I just got to the merge...ah JT is such an idiot. I thought some of the moves in Micronesia were bad...but JT's move may actually be the worst one I've seen, especially since JT was SO CONVINCED about the all women's alliance. 

I haven't decided whether Erik giving up his immunity necklace at F5 is worse than JT giving the enemy a hidden immunity idol and being convinced that it was totally the right move. Ok, Erik's move was really bad because he was still living with and working with the other four. But JT is really, really dumb. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I just got to the merge...ah JT is such an idiot. I thought some of the moves in Micronesia were bad...but JT's move may actually be the worst one I've seen, especially since JT was SO CONVINCED about the all women's alliance. 

I haven't decided whether Erik giving up his immunity necklace at F5 is worse than JT giving the enemy a hidden immunity idol and being convinced that it was totally the right move. Ok, Erik's move was really bad because he was still living with and working with the other four. But JT is really, really dumb. 

I always thought Erik's was worse.  He knew there was a women's alliance his season, for a fact, whereas JT and the other heroes were just idiots that made assumptions.  I mean, I can't exactly fault them for thinking that way.  I just think they should have not jumped to that sole conclusion, and tried to think if maybe there was another reason the men were getting voted off on the other side (especially Rob).  Erik had surefire immunity to the final 4.  He had a good shot at winning final 3 immunity, and possibly winning the season.  JT was a long way from the end, and Parvati's spectacular idol play was going to help the villains no matter what.  JT was on borrowed time and likely had little chance of making the final 3.

Still, JT is an idiot.  If you ever watch Game Changers, that will likely solidify that opinion.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I always thought Erik's was worse.  He knew there was a women's alliance his season, for a fact, whereas JT and the other heroes were just idiots that made assumptions.  I mean, I can't exactly fault them for thinking that way.  I just think they should have not jumped to that sole conclusion, and tried to think if maybe there was another reason the men were getting voted off on the other side (especially Rob).  Erik had surefire immunity to the final 4.  He had a good shot at winning final 3 immunity, and possibly winning the season.  JT was a long way from the end, and Parvati's spectacular idol play was going to help the villains no matter what.  JT was on borrowed time and likely had little chance of making the final 3.

Still, JT is an idiot.  If you ever watch Game Changers, that will likely solidify that opinion.

That's a fair point! I think it's JT's confidence that makes me more irritated, but Erik's move WAS worse. 

I will say that I totally see why people love Parvati. I love Parvati and think she's a truly great Survivor player. In the...holy shit, three seasons with her that I've watched, she's a very strategic gameplayer. 

Meanwhile, I gotta admit, I like Sandra's personality and I get that she's had a great strategic game with how she handles the jury, but....she's not my favourite. I'm trying to figure out exactly why I'm not as enarmoured with her as others are. Maybe, once I finish Heroes vs Villains, I'll get a better idea. But right now, I'm really rooting for Parvati, even though I know she doesn't win.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

A new person opining on J.T.'s Idol Pass means it's once again time for me to link to my defense of the play as not a bad move in and of itself, but instead as a badly implemented play.

But still, neither of these is the actual dumbest move ever in Survivor history.  @Lady Calypso, you ought to be seeing that shortly.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, SVNBob said:

A new person opining on J.T.'s Idol Pass means it's once again time for me to link to my defense of the play as not a bad move in and of itself, but instead as a badly implemented play.

But still, neither of these is the actual dumbest move ever in Survivor history.  @Lady Calypso, you ought to be seeing that shortly.

I think JT's move is a situation where it could have been brilliant if he had been right...but because he was so, so off base, it was wrong. In hindsight, it can't be the worst move because it had the smallest possibility of being a great move, under the right circumstances (if there HAD been an all women's alliance). I had to sleep on it to come to that conclusion.

However, still thinking that JT's dumb just for the sheer fact that he was so confident that he was right, despite not knowing the circumstances in any way. They only saw the other tribe at challenges and JT only guessed about the all women's alliance because that was Parvati's last play that got her to the end. 

Oh man....there's another dumb move? I need to know what season that happens so I know that I'll be watching it sooner or later.

• Love 1

You know why Stephen Fishbach nearly killed himself at the end of his run on Second Chances? Because he probably didn’t want to go down as the guy who lost a unanimous vote to the guy that gave an idol to Russell Friggin’ Hanrz.

Or was it Game Changers? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• LOL 3
19 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

You know why Stephen Fishbach nearly killed himself at the end of his run on Second Chances? Because he probably didn’t want to go down as the guy who lost a unanimous vote to the guy that gave an idol to Russell Friggin’ Hanrz.

Or was it Game Changers? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Man, I can't wait until I see THAT happening! 

I'm almost done HvV and I'm very pissed off at Russell now. What a whiny little guy. His ego is definitely threw the roof this second half. He got so comfortable with thinking that he's been running the game that he didn't realize that maybe, just maybe, his "right hand woman" Parvati was the actual puppet master. His fragile ego can't handle that. It's frustrating, yet hilarious to watch, especially since I am aware of the results for the finale.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'm almost done HvV and I'm very pissed off at Russell now. What a whiny little guy. His ego is definitely threw the roof this second half. He got so comfortable with thinking that he's been running the game that he didn't realize that maybe, just maybe, his "right hand woman" Parvati was the actual puppet master. His fragile ego can't handle that. It's frustrating, yet hilarious to watch, especially since I am aware of the results for the finale.

It's fun to watch the season when you already know the outcome.  All of Russell's bloviating about how great he is, and then...

Spoiler

he gets NO votes

(spoiler tag just in case anyone hasn't seen it  to the end yet)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I think JT's move is a situation where it could have been brilliant if he had been right...but because he was so, so off base, it was wrong. In hindsight, it can't be the worst move because it had the smallest possibility of being a great move, under the right circumstances (if there HAD been an all women's alliance). I had to sleep on it to come to that conclusion.

However, still thinking that JT's dumb just for the sheer fact that he was so confident that he was right, despite not knowing the circumstances in any way. They only saw the other tribe at challenges and JT only guessed about the all women's alliance because that was Parvati's last play that got her to the end. 

Oh man....there's another dumb move? I need to know what season that happens so I know that I'll be watching it sooner or later.

Oh, don't get me wrong.  JT is dumb, and lucky as all hell that he had Fishbach with him his first season to do most of the thinking that time around.  It's just that the Idol Pass play itself isn't as dumb as people say.

LC, you said you were thinking of watching One World next.  That's where the real dumbest move is.  You'll know it as soon as you see it.

• Useful 1
15 minutes ago, SVNBob said:

LC, you said you were thinking of watching One World next.  That's where the real dumbest move is.  You'll know it as soon as you see it.

Yes, I was debating whether to jump to season 28, like others suggested, but I saw that Rob Cesternino has that winner as one of his favourites (yes, I am aware of who wins One World) so...since the dumbest move seems to be in that season, couple that with the fact that I'll be having a glass of wine at my sister's place tomorrow night while watching Survivor and pet sitting, I guess I'll definitely be watching One World today and tomorrow! 

And...done HvV. That ending was very satisfying. I can now say that I think Sandra's win was very, very deserving. I like what the jury had to say to the three before they voted. They didn't go easy on Sandra, but listened to her well articulated answers. They gave kudos to Parvati's game, but basically told her the only reason they weren't voting for her was because of her aligning with Russell. And then Russell got told that all of his hard work only got him third place because the way he got there lost him any sort of votes that he thought he had. Hint: don't tell the jury that they're totally going to vote for you because you played a great game. Never put words into the jury's mouths. 

I love Parvati and I love Sandra. It DID take me two seasons of Sandra to finally recognize what a great player she is. Her competition record was very poor, but she was honest, straightforward, and worked with what she had. She truly did do what she had to in order to get to the end without any competition wins on her own. She had to play a social game, and she only lied when she had to. What helped Sandra was her working with the Heroes. She was never dishonest with her intentions and even Russell found out...and still didn't get rid of her! Especially since Sandra did vote where she had to; sometimes with the Heroes, but she still stuck with the Villains more often than not. That is seriously impressive.

But really...I'm super impressed with Parvati. This is my third season of watching her and I think she may be my favourite player, just because I respect the type of game that she has had to play. She wins comps, she fights hard, and she hasn't let anyone dictate her game and carry her through. Even with Russell giving her the immunity idols, that's because of the work she put in with him at the beginning to secure him as an ally. Russell, the most selfish guy out there who would typically be the first player to keep the idols all to himself, gave them BOTH up for Parvati. That's impressive, I have to admit, and Parvati never reciprocated with giving Russell an idol. 

Again, the downside to Parvati's game this season WAS Russell. Unfortunately for her, she didn't try to separate herself earlier and she was just too close with him for the jury to fully respect her game. But she definitely wasn't getting played by Russell like Jerri thought she was. Parvati was 100% running Russell's game at time and they were both helping each other out (but more for Parvati's benefit). 

Now that I'm starting on, I guess, the more modern era of Survivor, I'm going to miss some of these earlier players. I know some do reappear in these seasons, but I get the feeling like there will be a different vibe past HvV. But I might be way off with that.

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

And then Russell got told that all of his hard work only got him third place because the way he got there lost him any sort of votes that he thought he had.

What Russell never understood about Survivor was the END GAME - win the million dollars.  It is one thing to vote people out, but you have to vote them out in such a way that they still vote for you to win at the end.

He is probably still whining about his losses, insisting that he was the best player and deserved to win.  

• Love 8
6 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I can't figure out what move @SVNBob is referring to because I generally forget everything as soon as a season ends so I am very curious to know what he thinks is the worst move.

Yeah, I'm not sure either.  What season are we even talking about at this point lol

ETA: also, since we're talking about early seasons, do they still auction off the Survivor memorabilia at the end of each season?  Jeff used to always mention it during the reunion, and I know the money went to charity.  Maybe he still does and I just block Jeff out by that point, or am so over the season I'm just blocking everything out.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

What Russell never understood about Survivor was the END GAME - win the million dollars.  It is one thing to vote people out, but you have to vote them out in such a way that they still vote for you to win at the end.

He is probably still whining about his losses, insisting that he was the best player and deserved to win.  

It was funny to hear him tell the jury that he knew he had all of their votes because of his great gameplay. Meanwhile, at least half of the jury told him upfront that they didn't respect his game and he'd be getting no votes. And he still didn't believe them. That's how you lose the game, Russell. When the jury outright tells you that you've lost. And also when he asked Sandra/Parvati if they had been on the jury, who they would have voted for, and both of them told him that they wouldn't be voting for him.

Also showing that he doesn't get it - at the reunion show, he said that the viewers should be the ones to vote.  Again missing the point.

Even if the viewers voted, I doubt he would have won.  But he was - again - sure that he would have.  Based on the comments here during the show, I rather doubt that.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

And...done HvV. That ending was very satisfying.

That was part of the reason I wanted you to watch 19 and 20 together. While Russell was playing HvV, he didn't know the final result of Samoa (they started filming HvV before the Samoa reunion/winner announcement), but he did know by the time of the HvV reunion. Hence, all the super strength bitterness and tear-filled eyes, which to most viewers -- although Russell does have his fans -- was the icing on the cake.

1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:
8 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I can't figure out what move @SVNBob is referring to because I generally forget everything as soon as a season ends so I am very curious to know what he thinks is the worst move.

Yeah, I'm not sure either.  What season are we even talking about at this point lol

@SVNBob said it's One World, so it has to be when

Spoiler

the men's team won the IC but then gave up immunity and voted Bill off on Colton's say-so. And Bill even agreed to it! Heh. Dumb fuck. That's one reason I'm not on the "Kim is the greatest of all-time" train. As a group, they were overall the least strategic and sophisticated, and the fact that Kim controlled them is not very impressive when you consider that they were also controlled by Colton and even Alicia to an extent.

Edited by fishcakes
10 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

That was part of the reason I wanted you to watch 19 and 20 together. While Russell was playing HvV, he didn't know the final result of Samoa (they started filming HvV before the Samoa reunion/winner announcement), but he did know by the time of the HvV reunion. Hence, all the super strength bitterness and tear-filled eyes, which to most viewers -- although Russell does have his fans -- was the icing on the cake.

I think that even just watching 20, I got the gist of it (but thanks for the additional information). But yeah, there are little things like that which I'll miss because I'm not watching in chronological order, just because I want to watch the most important seasons in order to watch season 40 without being confused (because, had I gone in order, I might not make it to season 20 before February). It's why I had to miss out on some references to previous seasons for specific returnees. I'll get to those seasons eventually, but I simply don't have enough time to get caught up in the next month for all 38 seasons (now...32 seasons). 

But I do know that Samoa is one of the seasons I do want to watch, but it probably won't be for a while. 

So...now I'm fifteen minutes into the first episode of One World and...oh god, the return of Men vs Women AND them living on the same beach. Not surprising that some sexist comments, especially from this Matt dude, come into play. But it's not as bad as Amazon, which goes to show how things have changed in those nine years. 

Also....why in the world is Colton there? I'm not even halfway through the episode and I see he's totally out of his element. I haven't seen him do a single thing. He freaks out over a chicken flapping its wings. He's just chatting with the girls. I know he doesn't get any better but....man.

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Also....why in the world is Colton there? I'm not even halfway through the episode and I see he's totally out of his element. I haven't seen him do a single thing. He freaks out over a chicken flapping its wings. He's just chatting with the girls. I know he doesn't get any better but....man.

Colton is never not a spectacle. It's really his only redeeming feature.

• LOL 1

So, as I'm working on One World, I'm already thinking ahead to the next season to watch. I know season 28 is one that people are recommending. But I do have a question: I am interested in watching Blood vs Water, which I know is season 27. But I also don't know how vital it is to watch that. So, after One World, should I watch BvW, or just go to Cagayan and work my way back to BvW on my secondary go around?

Also, because I keep forgetting, thank you to everyone for the suggestions and help as a new Survivor fan! You don't know how helpful you've been in my binge watching! I promise, once I get through this primary watch before season 40, I'll slow down on the questions and advice asking!

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, as I'm working on One World, I'm already thinking ahead to the next season to watch. I know season 28 is one that people are recommending. But I do have a question: I am interested in watching Blood vs Water, which I know is season 27. But I also don't know how vital it is to watch that. So, after One World, should I watch BvW, or just go to Cagayan and work my way back to BvW on my secondary go around?

To get ready for 40, Cagayan is probably better because you get both Tony and Sarah. Then if you have time, season 34, Game Changers, would be good because it's Tony and Sarah again, but it plays out completely differently. I really liked BvW, but I don't think it's essential before watching 40.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

To get ready for 40, Cagayan is probably better because you get both Tony and Sarah. Then if you have time, season 34, Game Changers, would be good because it's Tony and Sarah again, but it plays out completely differently. I really liked BvW, but I don't think it's essential before watching 40.

Thanks! I know Cagayan is definitely one I'm watching. San Juan is the next one I plan to watch as well (unless it's not an important one to watch right now). And then I know I'm watching Cambodia and then I gotta figure out what other seasons to watch after that. I just want to make sure I get the most important seasons first. I know I'll have the time to at least get to Cambodia, but it's after that which is questionable. I should be able to get in three or four more seasons after Cambodia. I know I need to work my way back to Africa and Guatemala, at least with the finales, before season 40 (I know the winners of both seasons so I'm already spoiled).

I guess I'll get to BvW later. 

• Love 1

I just started a rewatch of Pearl Islands all stars. I don't really remember it. Hatch is a disgusting human being. I can't remember how long he lasts, but I remember the thing with him and Sue.

I don't know what Amber did to be an 'All Star'.

ETA I can't believe they let them go that long without water. It looked like 2 or 3 days? Not sure if that was editing or not.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Thanks! I know Cagayan is definitely one I'm watching. San Juan is the next one I plan to watch as well (unless it's not an important one to watch right now). And then I know I'm watching Cambodia and then I gotta figure out what other seasons to watch after that. I just want to make sure I get the most important seasons first. I know I'll have the time to at least get to Cambodia, but it's after that which is questionable. I should be able to get in three or four more seasons after Cambodia. I know I need to work my way back to Africa and Guatemala, at least with the finales, before season 40 (I know the winners of both seasons so I'm already spoiled).

I guess I'll get to BvW later. 

If you're going to watch Cambodia, I'd suggest watching SJDS because it has Jeremy (who returns to Cambodia), as well as Natalie.  While SJDS isn't necessarily the strongest season, I think it's worth checking out for those two.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, cleo said:

I heard she was a replacement for someone else...maybe Tina from her season? I'm not quite sure who Amber was replacing and I'm not sure whether it's because the original chosen female turned it down or had to back out.

I'm on episode 3 now and...oh my god, this season really is a mess so far. The women are a mess, the men are a mess, everything's a mess. I guess the One World stuff lasts all season but watching these two tribes on the same beach is just awkward right now. The women are not on the right foot yet with how to make fire or build a proper shelter to keep them from the storm or anything. 

And yeah, I'm on the guys' side about them mooching off of them. I was fine with the offer for the women to sleep in their shelter during that horrific storm, but then the women seemed to not build any sort of fire afterward and kept going to the men while offering them nothing in return. And I say this as someone who likes more of the women this season so far than any of the men. 

I'm rooting for the women to get their shit together because I want them to succeed. 

Also, Matt needs to sit down and shut up. 

ETA: And glad for the women winning immunity. Also, Colton needs to sit down and shut up.

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, cleo said:

I just started a rewatch of Pearl Islands all stars. I don't really remember it. Hatch is a disgusting human being. I can't remember how long he lasts, but I remember the thing with him and Sue.

ETA I can't believe they let them go that long without water. It looked like 2 or 3 days? Not sure if that was editing or not.

Amber and Jenna Lewis reportedly took the place of Elisabeth Filarski and Colleen Haskell, both who declined invites to appear.  I guess they were supposed to fill the role of young, pretty female.  Jeff also said that they cast people who maybe don't fit the "theme", but who he thinks are deserving of a second chance.  I wouldn't say Jenna or Amber were worthy of that over others.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, SVNBob said:

And...I think I just got to the dumbest move. Actually, it HAS to be the dumbest move.  

Yep. The boys are dumb. WTF? Now, I know that back in Cook Islands, something similar happened...but at least it was decided BEFORE immunity! And this is all because Whiny Entitled Colton didn't want to be around Bill anymore! 

ETA: Oh my god, I'm listening to this Tribal Council and...god, Colton is absolutely awful. I may legitimately hate him more than Russell...and believe me, I didn't like Russell at ALL. And these stupid, dumbass boys are LISTENING to Colton! He's just strong arming all of them. They could have voted for him on this TC! Even if he used his idol this time, then get him out the next time! My freaking god!

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

And...I think I just got to the dumbest move. Actually, it HAS to be the dumbest move.  

Yep. The boys are dumb. WTF? Now, I know that back in Cook Islands, something similar happened...but at least it was decided BEFORE immunity! And this is all because Whiny Entitled Colton didn't want to be around Bill anymore! 

ETA: Oh my god, I'm listening to this Tribal Council and...god, Colton is absolutely awful. I may legitimately hate him more than Russell...and believe me, I didn't like Russell at ALL. And these stupid, dumbass boys are LISTENING to Colton! He's just strong arming all of them. They could have voted for him on this TC! Even if he used his idol this time, then get him out the next time! My freaking god!

He was such a shit stain. I mean, you want to feel bad for the kid growing up gay in the South with the last name "Cumbie," but he's such a wretched stereotype. And the guys going along with the plan to boot Bill . . . did he shit in their mouths and that footage was left on the cutting room floor?

[ETA: Funny115 recap of the Great Manono Chicken Trap. Seriously, Colton just gave the women the game, and they weren't fairing much better]

I'm thinking S8 was hard up looking for female contestants. I think Jenna Morasca accepted her invite once it was deemed she would not be shamed if she left the game to be with her father. And Amber may have finished sixth in S2, but she wasn't an "All-Star." Basically, she only got the one vote from Shii Ann at the end of S8, with three more that were more against Rob than for her. Once it came down to those two and Rupert, Jenna and Tom, they knew one of 'em was winning it all. Those three didn't have enough brain power to toast bread. Fuck, Rupert was on the jury when Darrah/Lil/Sandra teamed up to blindside Burton, and I don't think he made a move.

@Lady Calypso . . . Tina was the first person voted out of S8.

Whatever happened to Colleen? All I remember was her as the romantic lead in a Rob Schneider movie, and then she fell off the radar . . . probably out of shame. Also, given the events of S38, has anyone heard from Lil Morris recently?

Edited by Lantern7
12 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

@Lady Calypso . . . Tina was the first person voted out of S8.

....LOL, that's why it didn't make sense to me! To be fair, I skipped All Stars and am going to get back around to watching it later. But Tina was the only name from season 2 that I could remember. I forgot about Elisabeth. 

14 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

He was such a shit stain. I mean, you want to feel bad for the kid growing up gay in the South with the last name "Cumbie," but he's such a wretched stereotype. And the guys going along with the plan to boot Bill . . . did he shit in their mouths and that footage was left on the cutting room floor?

Apparently. I feel really sorry for Bill, who legitimately didn't do anything wrong (that I saw). These idiot guys are letting Colton dictate what goes on. I can't forget how he flaunted his idol around once he got it to basically say "well, you aren't voting me out this Tribal Council. Also, we're all in an alliance and this is what I want." And then we have stupid confessionals like "well, I don't agree...but I don't want to be on Colton's radar if I disagree. I don't want to be a target so..." Seriously, these men are so...spineless, it's pathetic. It's truly pathetic. 

All these idiots needed to do was force Colton to use his idol during their first TC and then, yeah, Matt likely would have still gone, but then Colton would have ZERO power. I really don't get it. I don't get why they HAD to vote out Bill when only Colton had a problem with him (again, as far as I saw).

I have to take a break and pick this up tomorrow, that's how frustrated I am at the situation. It's a good thing I picked this season to watch on New Year's. Having a glass of wine tomorrow may help me get through the rest of the season, or at least up until Colton's exit from the show. I have no clue which episode it happens in, but I'm excited for it to happen.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Also, because I keep forgetting, thank you to everyone for the suggestions and help as a new Survivor fan! You don't know how helpful you've been in my binge watching! I promise, once I get through this primary watch before season 40, I'll slow down on the questions and advice asking!

The great thing about the community we have here (these forums in general, not just the Survivor section) is that we're always welcoming to someone new.  And around here, as you can see, it gives us a chance to opine again on certain moments.

5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Thanks! I know Cagayan is definitely one I'm watching. San Juan is the next one I plan to watch as well (unless it's not an important one to watch right now).

SJDS is important to watch before 40.  And it's also a BvW season, so you'll kinda kill 2 birds with 1 stone there.

4 hours ago, cleo said:

She said "yes" when they called and asked her to play again, unlike some other people they'd called first.  Worked out pretty well for her too, I'd say.

2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Ding ding ding!  Like @fishcakes guessed, that was indeed the move I was referring to.  And I knew you'd know it when you saw it.

9 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

since we're talking about early seasons, do they still auction off the Survivor memorabilia at the end of each season?

I'm not sure about anything else, but I know that they do still put the torches up for auction.  There's at least one poster on the Survivor subReddit that posts daily updates for how much each one was going for during each auction period.  The final numbers for last season's batch were posted about a day ago.

There's also posts there about individual Survivors putting up their memorabilia  up for auction, but those tend not to be anything official or for charity.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Whatever happened to Colleen? All I remember was her as the romantic lead in a Rob Schneider movie, and then she fell off the radar

Colleen was always pretty clear that she wasn't interested in becoming famous. I remember an interview she did with the now-defunct Mademoiselle magazine saying that she was open to whatever opportunities came her way, but she wasn't chasing anything. She said something like, "maybe I'll do a movie, maybe I'll get married, I'm young, I don't have to be just one thing." She's now married to musician Alan Hampton and they have two kids. Here's a picture of her and their daughters on his instagram. She had a twitter account that had only about a dozen followers where she tweeted about her kid and crafting and never Survivor, then someone linked to it on Sucks, she got hundreds of new followers and basically stopped tweeting.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

Colleen was always pretty clear that she wasn't interested in becoming famous. I remember an interview she did with the now-defunct Mademoiselle magazine saying that she was open to whatever opportunities came her way, but she wasn't chasing anything. She said something like, "maybe I'll do a movie, maybe I'll get married, I'm young, I don't have to be just one thing." She's now married to musician Alan Hampton and they have two kids. Here's a picture of her and their daughters on his instagram. She had a twitter account that had only about a dozen followers where she tweeted about her kid and crafting and never Survivor, then someone linked to it on Sucks, she got hundreds of new followers and basically stopped tweeting.

Wow, she doesn't even look that different.  I can respect Colleen moving on from Survivor.  I know she was asked to return again as recent as the Second Chance season, but again declined.  Sometimes I get embarrassed for some players that continually tweet and beg their followers on SM to @ Jeff and the official CBS Survivor accounts and say they want them back. 

I'm not sure about anything else, but I know that they do still put the torches up for auction.  There's at least one poster on the Survivor subReddit that posts daily updates for how much each one was going for during each auction period.  The final numbers for last season's batch were posted about a day ago.

There's also posts there about individual Survivors putting up their memorabilia  up for auction, but those tend not to be anything official or for charity.

Thanks for the info!  I had to laugh that Keith from EOE got his torch on the roster for this season, and it actually got more money than some of the current players.  But why did they threw his torch in the bidding this season?

I remember back in the day I couldn't wait to be old enough to bid on Survivor memorabilia and get someone's torch or stinky buff or some  part of the set.  Thankfully I stayed broke long enough to outgrow that phase.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

So, I'm on the episode where Colton is evacuated. Alicia and Colton are both despicable people. There's a difference between being honest and being a bully, and both are just...gross on how they speak to people directly. Alicia's gross behaviour toward Christina is so sad to watch. 

I'm so glad Colton was medically evacuated. I was sick and tired of watching Colton bully people, and I was also sick of watching these pathetic people follow Colton like he's some sort of God.

I feel bad for Monica getting voted off for no great reason, other than her being a threat. I am wondering how this appearance of Monica led to her coming back, though. She wasn't particularly memorable. She was nice, but I wouldn't have thought of her as the one to return to the game.

• Love 8

Wow one world. Yeah it was awful and ITA about Colton and Alicia and how they treated Christina. I'm not sure if I finished that season. @Lady Calypso a lot of your reactions are similar to mine. 

Thanks for the info re Jenna and Amber on all-stars. I didn't know the backstory. At least Jenna managed to win. I really have nothing against Amber and I like Rob, just as a player she didn't seem very interesting to me. I prefer seeing Amber to Elisabeth though. I have no idea how someone that seemed ok turned into...what she turned into. 

The real social experiment to me is looking at how these people's lived have played out. Sometimes assholes on screen are assholes in real life- Hatch who has been in legal trouble off and on for years. And sometimes people that seem like good people are- Colby, Ethan, seem like straightforward good dudes, Tina also seems like the good person she was on screen etc.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, cleo said:

Wow one world. Yeah it was awful and ITA about Colton and Alicia and how they treated Christina. I'm not sure if I finished that season. @Lady Calypso a lot of your reactions are similar to mine. 

It's just sad because, as much as Alicia and Colton bitch about Christina and her performances in challenges and whatever....so far, Alicia's been even worse and Colton does so little around camp besides gossiping about people. They both are such assholes. It's really hard to watch. The moment Colton REALLY rubbed me the wrong way and made me sure to NEVER EVER like him was in one of his confessionals in the second episode, when he was bitching about Bill or Matt and said the words "go kill yourself". Then he just continued that behaviour and...urg. 

And Alicia...I know she sticks around for a while, and she sickens me too. She's such a bully, just like Colton. I HATE that she sticks around. I don't get the feeling that she'd get better with her attitude, even if Christina was voted off soon.

I can't remember WHY they all hate Christina, though. I know the girls originally hated Christina for going to make deals with the guys, but it's not like the other girls weren't mooching off the guys to begin with; all Christina was trying to do was work with the guys legitimately. 

And now, Alicia/Colton HATE Christina...why?

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, I'm on the episode where Colton is evacuated. Alicia and Colton are both despicable people. There's a difference between being honest and being a bully, and both are just...gross on how they speak to people directly. Alicia's gross behaviour toward Christina is so sad to watch. 

I'm so glad Colton was medically evacuated. I was sick and tired of watching Colton bully people, and I was also sick of watching these pathetic people follow Colton like he's some sort of God.

I feel bad for Monica getting voted off for no great reason, other than her being a threat. I am wondering how this appearance of Monica led to her coming back, though. She wasn't particularly memorable. She was nice, but I wouldn't have thought of her as the one to return to the game.

My opinion is Monica was asked back because they wanted her husband.  If you get around to watching BvsW at some point (which I recommend watching before Game Changers, just so you can see Mr. Brad Culpepper make his debut), you'll also meet Colton's then boyfriend, Caleb.  Why Colton was even asked back I will never understand, and even less I will understand how a nice guy like Caleb went for him. 

• Love 2
Just now, LadyChatts said:

My opinion is Monica was asked back because they wanted her husband.  If you get around to watching BvsW at some point (which I recommend watching before Game Changers, just so you can see Mr. Brad Culpepper make his debut), you'll also meet Colton's then boyfriend, Caleb.  Why Colton was even asked back I will never understand, and even less I will understand how a nice guy like Caleb went for him. 

Right...because her husband is famous...a football guy or something?

I'll be honest; I don't know the sports world. I had to just look up her husband and realized that he was famous. 

I won't be able to get around to BvsW before Game Changers (unless I save BOTH seasons for my secondary watch) but I do remember that it was around BvsW when Survivor came back on my radar, so I know bits and pieces of Colton/Caleb.

57 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

If you want to really hate them, you have to watch this secret scene where they're mocking Christina behind her back in a racist way.

45 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I can't remember WHY they all hate Christina, though. I know the girls originally hated Christina for going to make deals with the guys, but it's not like the other girls weren't mooching off the guys to begin with; all Christina was trying to do was work with the guys legitimately. 

And now, Alicia/Colton HATE Christina...why?

I don't think they all hated Christina, but Kim, Chelsea, and Sabrina were in an alliance with Alicia, Alicia hated Christina and, as you'll see in a few episodes, Stockholm Syndromed the poor woman. It worked to the alliance's benefit to allow Alicia to beat Christina down so badly that she'd just be like a stray dog looking for approval (so they could control her vote), which is why I will never have any time for any of those four. Even when the season was airing, when there were scenes of Colton and Alicia bullying Christina, Chelsea would tweet at them that they were hilarious and virtually high-five them. This was the first season where I felt like so many of the players were just bone-deep despicable human beings.

I don't know, but I think Alicia hates Christina because of the incident you mentioned in the first episode where Alicia tried to flirt with the guys so they'd give the women fire and the guys were vaguely disgusted and like, "naaaaah, that's okay," and then Christina made a real deal with them to exchange woven palm fronds for fire. That was when Alicia got mad and talked about punching her out, while the others sat there and said nothing. Colton, I have no idea what his deal was, although he just seems like the kind of person who enjoys a good pile-on bullying.

• Love 2