Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk: The Tribe Has Spoken

• Start Topic

Because I Got Bored And Have Excel: Average age of merged tribes!

image.png.4937b070d19245f91c17ff6beccdb9d9.png

Ages taken from Wikipedia. Shii Ann and Erin were added to the merged tribe of Thailand; I figured that they would count since all remaining players were brought together. I thought IOTI would have the biggest number. They came in eleventh.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Useful 2

To get the bad taste out that this current season is leaving, I decided to go back and binge watch another season (gotta do something while I'm sick).  So I opened up Hulu, and the season it happened to land on was the original Survivor Fiji.  Which means the Survivor gods really do hate me tonight, but hey, maybe it won't be as terrible on re-watch.  Right?  Well, can't be any worse than Survivor: Island of the Awful, and Janet and Elaine. 

One thing I did get a laugh at right off the bat was when Jeff, in the opener, said this season was going to have 'two hidden immunity idols that will complicate the game like never before.'  I feel like this season is in such an infancy stage compared to where we are now with idols.

• Love 5

Man. So, with season 39 being the first season in years that I've watched (I know the last time I watched, the show was still in single digits), after this season is done, I do want to go back and watch a few seasons that I missed. Now, obviously trying to go back to watch all 38 other seasons is not going to happen for me. 

So I wanted to throw it here and ask if there are any seasons that are must-watches? 

1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Man. So, with season 39 being the first season in years that I've watched (I know the last time I watched, the show was still in single digits), after this season is done, I do want to go back and watch a few seasons that I missed. Now, obviously trying to go back to watch all 38 other seasons is not going to happen for me. 

So I wanted to throw it here and ask if there are any seasons that are must-watches? 

My favourite recent season was David vs Goliath, S37.  It made up for a lot of really shitty seasons.  I'd definitely give that one a watch.

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

My favourite recent season was David vs Goliath, S37.  It made up for a lot of really shitty seasons.  I'd definitely give that one a watch.

Agreed.  I don't think the 30s have been kind to Survivor, but this is probably one of the best seasons in recent years, and I think one of the better in franchise history.

I'd also recommend Heroes vs Villains (20) and Micronesia (16), which I think are two of the better returning player seasons.

• Love 2

Those all sound good! 

So, essentially, because I kind of want to watch them in order, so far it seems like I'll have seasons 16, 20, 25, and 37 to watch.

Any other ones before season 16 that I should definitely tune in? I know I have season 6 as a Must Watch because of Rob Cesternino (and to see if this was a season I actually watched way back when it first aired or not, as I can't remember which seasons, beside season 3 and 5, that I definitely watched). 

I want to get ten good seasons in as Must Watch and it'll probably take me a few months to maybe a year to get through them. I'm determined to at least get some background on Survivor, since it seems like I'll be back next season. 

• Love 3

Some of my underrated favorites are Guatemala (11) and China (15).  I thought both had good casts, some interesting characters and game play, and I loved the locations.  I'm so tired of the island locales that I really miss land locked seasons. 

• Love 2

It took me well over five years* to watch seasons 1-31. Amazon Prime, last I checked, has 1-28; Hulu has 1-34. I don't know if anyone has 35-38, and I don't know if I want to watch any of them again. Them = any Survivor season, not just 35-38.

Season 31, Second Chances, was great (like @Lamb18 said). I love the winner, the game play, and the story lines. It came on the heels of 30, which as @Nashville writes, was awful. I'll confess to being oddly fascinated with Rodney--how did this guy keep that alliance together--but the season is a miss. 

My rewatch got to Season 32, while this current one (39) was diving off its cliff. I lost all heart for watching 32 when I saw the two ugly Brawn players and the one ugly Brains guy. Hard Pass. I don't want to re-watch 33 (MvGx)--not with that whiner winner--and 34 (Game Changers), of course, has its own nasty controversy, which I'm not ready to re-visit, even if TPTB handled it a lot more gracefully. Since that's the end of what Hulu offers, my choice is to either start again with 1 (gawd, so slow), skip around, or try other television shows.

And I can't believe I'm even saying that. I don't watch much television**--remember, it took me over five years to get through 31 season of my favorite show. I'm so turned off by this season (39, for those reading in the far future), that I honestly don't know what I want to do next.

But for your question, @Lady Calypso, in particular, I like 7 (Pearl Islands), 10 (Palau), 16 (FvF), and 25 (Penner's speech to Lisa is still my favorite moment ever).

Underrated seasons, like @LadyChatts said, include 11 (underrated winner!) and 15. (If you watch 10 and then 11, you'll see the sheer power of editing, in regard to how one player is portrayed.) 

Watch 10, 22 (Redemption Island), and 24 (One World), if you want masterclasses in domination; the latter two aren't particular great seasons, though***.

* I watch an episode while on the treadmill. I'm not a runner...

** I'm deaf, so I can't put the TV on in the background, I have to pay attention throughout. Watching while on the treadmill is easy enough.

*** Oh hell, I just convinced myself. Gonna go back and start again with 7! Or maybe 2! 😁

Edited by cherrypj
  • Love 4

I love most of the seasons that have already been mentioned, but I'll add 2. I know a lot of people don't like it (mainly because they don't like the winner, I think), but I loved Millennials vs Gen X and thought it had a great all-newbie cast. Another one I really like is the first Blood vs. Water season. 

• Love 5

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! It sounds like I got a good list to go with, or at least start with. 

It sounds like the likely ones I'll watch are seasons 2, 6, 7, 10, 11, 15, 16, 20, 22, 24, 25, 31 and 37? 

Wow, that's more than 10, as it turns out. I'll need to pick and choose exactly which ones to watch. I'll figure it out while I watch the earlier seasons first. I have a habit where I absolutely need to watch things in order, so even though I'm basically watching season 39 before going back to watch earlier seasons, I'll be starting with season 2, it seems.

I guess I know what I'll be doing over Christmas break.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

It sounds like the likely ones I'll watch are seasons 2, 6, 7, 10, 11, 15, 16, 20, 22, 24, 25, 31 and 37? 

Going down the rabbit hole, but if you're going to watch season 20, which is a great season, you should watch season 19, which is not so good, right before that, to get the full Russell Hantz experience. Love him or hate him, he really did change how the game is played.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 12/5/2019 at 9:44 AM, Lady Calypso said:

I'm not sure what season, but any season with Ozzie is my favorite. He's a beautiful athlete. Season 2 is my least favorite because, oddly, Jeff is almost completely mute during the challenges. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

Going down the rabbit hole, but if you're going to watch season 20, which is a great season, you should watch season 19, which is not so good, right before that, to get the full Russell Hantz experience. Love him or hate him, he really did change how the game is played.

Ugh.  Yes.  I hate to have to put you through the torment of watching that asshole but, if you're going to watch him in 20, you should probably watch 19 just so you can fully appreciate what a horrid person he is.  (Although I disagree that he changed how the game is played.  Other than conveniently finding idols, did he really do anything else? He wasn't the only person to ever find an idol without getting a clue although, admittedly, he was annoyingly good at it.)

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Rachel RSL said:

(Although I disagree that he changed how the game is played.  Other than conveniently finding idols, did he really do anything else? He wasn't the only person to ever find an idol without getting a clue although, admittedly, he was annoyingly good at it.)

Maybe it's an overstatement to say Russell himself changed the game, but the game did seem to change because of him. Before Russell, there might be one or, at most, two HIIs in play at a time. After Russell, HIIs were everywhere. TPTB seemed to love the chaos they created and I think that's the result of how aggressive he was in hunting for and playing them.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Sounds like you have a full plate but let me just suggest that if you have time, you may appreciate Micronesia (16) and Heroes vs Villains (20) more and gain context if you watch the returnees' original seasons. In particular, season 13 Cook Islands has the origins of Ozzie, Jonathan Penner, Parvati (and Candace, bleh). You do have China (15) on your list, which has Amanda and James (and is an awesome season in its own right) but you might want to add Panama (12) which is goddess Cirie's origin season and has the added bonus of the crazy-ass Casaya tribe with Shane and Courtney in all their glorious dysfunction. 

Some may disagree but if you can squeeze in Tocantins (17) at some point to see Coach, Tyson, and JT's origins, it will also add context and irony to HvV. I didn't like it all that much initially but on a rewatch years later I loved it. OG Coach is something to behold.

Have fun!!!  

Edited by kassandra8286
  • Love 7
On 12/6/2019 at 10:35 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! It sounds like I got a good list to go with, or at least start with. 

Wow, that's more than 10, as it turns out. I'll need to pick and choose exactly which ones to watch. I'll figure it out while I watch the earlier seasons first. I have a habit where I absolutely need to watch things in order, so even though I'm basically watching season 39 before going back to watch earlier seasons, I'll be starting with season 2, it seems.

I guess I know what I'll be doing over Christmas break.

10 and 11 are good, but can be watched on their own as a small arc any time. They aren’t necessary set up for other seasons. 

I enjoyed 22 and 24, but many people do not. There are so many universally loved seasons to watch instead if you only have 10 slots. 

I agree 19 is good set up for 20, but you’ll catch on pretty quickly in season 20 what the character is all about, so I don’t think it’s necessary. 

There are some good seasons after 30, but save them for a rainy day. 

If you’re intent on 10, stick with 2-6-7-13-15-16-18-20-25-28. They are all very good on their own, and give necessary context for seasons that come after. 

• Love 2

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions!

Right now, I decided that I'm keeping all mentioned seasons in mind but taking it one season at a time. I know I'll be watching seasons 2, 6, and 7 at the moment. Then, after I finish those, I'll decide which ones to watch next, depending on how quickly I can get through them. 

I just started episode 1 of the second season and wow, it's different but also makes me a bit nostalgic because I'm starting to remember bits and pieces from when I watched all those years ago. I was just a kid and the music gives me good vibes. 

• Love 1

So, because I've been home sick today, I decided to just put on Survivor season 2....so somehow, I'm already almost done. I just finished episode 10. I'll probably watch one more episode tonight and then watch the rest of the season this week, which means I'll be starting a new season by Saturday.

I will say that season 2 is interesting for me because they're not relying on gimmicks, really. It feels like there are actual stakes. So when the tribes are excited to get a food reward, I believe it. I believe that they're actually starving and that they need it. I don't really feel that way with season 39 so far. It feels unearned, in a way. 

It took me about three full episodes before I realized that I do recognize Jeff Varner. Now, I have watched a dozen clips of Survivor online so I know some of the biggest moments (not all, but some) so it took me a bit to realize that season 2 Jeff is the same Jeff in the infamous Zeke/Jeff TC that I HAVE seen. No wonder I didn't like Jeff from the start. 

I also just finished the episode where Jerri was finally voted off, and I got a stupid grin on my face. I really wonder why it took so long, but it was a good move for Keith and Tina for their games, at least from my perspective. I'm glad Colby voted with them as well, because I was worried that he'd stick with Jerri because she obviously is enamored with him. I would have been really unsatisfied with a Jerri win. 

• Love 1
On 12/8/2019 at 9:12 AM, Oholibamah said:

10 and 11 are good, but can be watched on their own as a small arc any time. They aren’t necessary set up for other seasons. 

I enjoyed 22 and 24, but many people do not. There are so many universally loved seasons to watch instead if you only have 10 slots. 

I agree 19 is good set up for 20, but you’ll catch on pretty quickly in season 20 what the character is all about, so I don’t think it’s necessary. 

There are some good seasons after 30, but save them for a rainy day. 

If you’re intent on 10, stick with 2-6-7-13-15-16-18-20-25-28. They are all very good on their own, and give necessary context for seasons that come after. 

I’ve been watching Survivor since Season 1 Episode 1. That said, I still don’t know the seasons by the numbers past say 5. I would literally have to google each number people are picking. LOL!!! I’ve never had the number gene for Survivor. It’s like on BB and the contestants know the days and which number it was. Nope!!! I’m out. LOL!!! 

Edited by ByaNose

13:  Cook Islands (divided by race)
14:  Fiji  (have versus have not)
16:  Fans versus Favourites
19:  Samoa  (Russell)
20:  Heroes versus Villains
28:  Cagayan  (beauty versus brains versus brawn!)

🙂  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I’ve been watching Survivor since Season 1 Episode 1. That said, I still don’t the seasons by the numbers past say 5. I would literally have to google each number people are picking. LOL!!! I’ve never had the number gene for Survivor. It’s like on BB and the contestants know the days and which number it was. Nope!!! I’m out. LOL!!! 

Is it pathetic that I actually know them without looking it up?  Except I always go from HvsV to Redemption Island, and forgot about Nicaragua.  Which I don't consider a bad thing.  Oh, I do forget about South Pacific, but also don't consider that a bad thing.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I'm 5 min in to a random rewatch of season 2. Holy crap, they used to have to hike 5 miles to their camp at the start of the season! This is so strange to watch them have to actually navigate to their camp. It's strange for a number of reasons, but now it seems they just try to starve them instead of what they used to do. I completely forgot what this show used to be like. 

• Love 2
On 12/9/2019 at 6:02 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I will say that season 2 is interesting for me because they're not relying on gimmicks, really. It feels like there are actual stakes. So when the tribes are excited to get a food reward, I believe it. I believe that they're actually starving and that they need it.

It's because they actually were starving, and did need it.  In future seasons, production realized that watching a bunch of delirious, half-dead players didn't make for compelling TV

• Love 3
2 hours ago, OutOfTheQuestion said:

It's because they actually were starving, and did need it.  In future seasons, production realized that watching a bunch of delirious, half-dead players didn't make for compelling TV

Reminds me of this iconic scene. It's disturbing how emaciated they look. 😞

"You've got 13 days left, and I don't think you're gonna make it". Jeff sounding kinda drunk there.

• Love 1

So, because I'm trying to avoid getting people at work sick, I'm home for the week so I actually managed to finish season 2 last night. I will say that I semi-enjoyed how it ended, but man, did Colby not even bother to try to fight to win the game. He basically told people to give Tina the win. 

I get the people who say (from what I've looked up) that Colby should have chosen Keith for F2, but I totally get his reasoning and why he chose Tina. Because Colby would have rather lost to Tina than had Keith get the $100,000. And, I mean, yeah Colby would have 100% won against Keith but I'm not as furious with Colby's move to bring Tina because he wasn't dumb about it. He didn't think that he could beat Tina, but he didn't think Keith deserved to be in F2...which is fair. I can agree with that logic, even though it absolutely cost him the win.

And I liked the live show. I can't imagine the stress and anxiety both were under for months while waiting to have the winner announced. But Colby's excitement over Tina winning was actually endearing. 

Plus, there was that great moment of Jerri asking Tina and Colby her question, clearly opening the door for Colby to bow down and apologize to her for....I guess voting her out, and he decided to direct his answer toward Elisabeth and Rodger instead...while Tina also got a jab at Jerri by mentioning that she regretted her role in the Kel beef jerky situation (since it was Jerri who led that mob attack on him). 

A solid season overall, and a great start to my watch of the series. I guess now I'm onto season 6! 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, OutOfTheQuestion said:

I dunno about that; I’d say watching folks pass out and fall into the fire definitely qualifies as high drama.  😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, kassandra8286 said:

Reminds me of this iconic scene. It's disturbing how emaciated they look. 😞

"You've got 13 days left, and I don't think you're gonna make it". Jeff sounding kinda drunk there.

That was probably my favorite moment of the whole season (not the emaciated part, the part where Jeff angrily showed up at camp and scolded them).  

I do get a kick out of how less cushy these older seasons were.  Rewards then were one, maybe two things.  Now they look like showcases on The Price Is Right.  I'm sure weight loss was way more back then, but now, if you get to partake in the food rewards frequently, you barely lose anything. 

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

I know.  I think I would die of shock if I went back and watched the early seasons again.    The contestants are majorly spoiled now compared to back then.  Wait until Season 3 when someone becomes Public Enemy #1 because he eats 2 cherries instead of 1. (Sorry: SPOILER lol)  Personally, I do think watching people starve was interesting.  But I'm one of the few people who actually misses the whole survival aspect of Survivor, where rationing your food was part of the game.

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 5
45 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

I know.  I think I would die of shock if I went back and watched the early seasons again.    The contestants are majorly spoiled now compared to back then.  Wait until Season 3 when someone becomes Public Enemy #1 because he eats 2 cherries instead of 1. (Sorry: SPOILER lol)  Personally, I do think watching people starve was interesting.  But I'm one of the few people who actually misses the whole survival aspect of Survivor, where rationing your food was part of the game.

No, I'm right there with you.  Remember in season 1, where the reward they got was 1(!) candy bar, to split between 6 people?  And that the clue for that reward was a can of dog food, which both tribes ate because they were hungry?  Or they got 2 blankets, where as opposed to now they get a whole outside bedroom.  I also remember a behind the scenes interview with Jeff, where the contestants in season 1 were going to mutiny because Sean had just won night on a yacht (and he didn't even get to bring 5 people with him!), and the next reward was a bottle of beer only.  So they made something up to make it seem more elaborate. 

To me, contestants in the last 20 seasons or so are playing a more watered down version of Survivor.  They are playing a game where it's more about idols and big moves than anything else (and trying to get Sia to notice you).  I know that the contestants were constantly looked after, and it's not like a real stranded in the desert or island situation where they have nothing, but I would really love a back to basics season.  I can only imagine the contestants having to be happy for a bag of apples, and that's it.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Remember in season 1, where the reward they got was 1(!) candy bar, to split between 6 people?  And that the clue for that reward was a can of dog food, which both tribes ate because they were hungry? 

Totally remember the candy bar but I completely forgot about the dog food!  Ah....the good old days.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

And that the clue for that reward was a can of dog food, which both tribes ate because they were hungry?

I forgot about the dog food too, but I'll never forget the Pagong tribe eating barbecued RATS ON SKEWERS because they couldn't catch fish. 

On the other hand, it was funny rewatching S1 and seeing all the different outfits they had. They even had raincoats! Sue Hawk was wearing some cute dangly earrings in one scene that looked very un-Sue Hawkish, lol.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

So...started season 6. My god, I hope episode 1 is the worst case of the blatant sexism because all the guys plus some of the girls were grossly sexist. 

I may like Rob Cesternino now, but I can admit that he is just as bad as all the other guys back then. I'm really glad I was introduced to Rob in recent years rather than back then (though I feel like I may have seen parts of season 6 when it first aired....but that was back when I was only 9 years old, so it's been AGES to remember specifics). 

I may struggle to get through season 6....but I WILL get through it. But man, was this first episode really rough. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, kassandra8286 said:

I forgot about the dog food too, but I'll never forget the Pagong tribe eating barbecued RATS ON SKEWERS because they couldn't catch fish. 

On the other hand, it was funny rewatching S1 and seeing all the different outfits they had. They even had raincoats! Sue Hawk was wearing some cute dangly earrings in one scene that looked very un-Sue Hawkish, lol.

Which makes me think of something else we never have anymore, which was luxury items.  I think the producers had final say what they could bring, because some of them made no sense.  I don't know when they stopped doing that.  I remember Kelly making those earrings for Sue, I think from her luxury items and odds and ends at camp.  

I remember those rat and fish traps they had.  Supposedly the producers were planting food in them because no one knew how to use them.  I think after Rich got fishing gear they didn't use the fish traps anymore.  Eating rat seemed like such a big deal back then.  

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

So...started season 6. My god, I hope episode 1 is the worst case of the blatant sexism because all the guys plus some of the girls were grossly sexist. 

I may like Rob Cesternino now, but I can admit that he is just as bad as all the other guys back then. I'm really glad I was introduced to Rob in recent years rather than back then (though I feel like I may have seen parts of season 6 when it first aired....but that was back when I was only 9 years old, so it's been AGES to remember specifics). 

I may struggle to get through season 6....but I WILL get through it. But man, was this first episode really rough. 

I actually just watched that season for the first time last month, and it is definitely one of my least favorites.  

• Love 4

Moving this rant to another thread where it might work better, so ... past seasons. Anybody know why Nick Wilson's Twitter account is protected now? Was it always? That's weird, right? (I got nothing).

Edited by Eolivet

Yep. Five episodes in and...I am really not liking this sixth season. It's a struggle to even come up with someone that I genuinely like. Probably Deena, Christy, and Alex, in all honesty. Maybe Butch as well. But everyone else is just...either really gross or really bitchy. And even the people I mentioned are not all that great.

They just had the swapped tribes and I wonder if the dynamic would have changed had one of Alex, Matthew, or Rob had stayed on their original tribe and Butch would have went to the Jaburu tribe. But I guess I'll see what happens for the rest of the season.

I am aware of who won this season, and who gets second and third as well, so I'm keeping that in mind as I watch. Honestly, it's a bit more tolerable to have that information instead of being in the dark.