Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters Renovation - General Discussion

• Start Topic

There stove is probably the same brand, because it looked so similar, but like all of the other tasteless idiots on HHR, their version was much bigger (five or six burners), and much wider, I'm betting at least 36" or more.   I'm betting imitation professional grade.      I bet the little kid will turn on those burners constantly too.     There's a reason many stoves have back burner handles, not front like the professional-look ones like that have.    The Hallman's in that size start at $3k, and I bet that one cost more, and probably the blue tint on the paint was custom, and I hated it.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

OMG! The turquoise fireplace was a travesty. At first, I didn’t want them to paint it. Which is weird because I’m all about painting everything white. Then when she wanted to paint it white I was okay  with it but then BAM she stuns the husband with the horrid turquoise painted fireplace and blames the MIL. The kitchen island was a nice idea to save money but it was too small. Also, the design on the front was facing in and not out. Wouldn’t you want people to see it? Just a thought. The bathroom wallpaper was ugly. Overall, a million dollars for a house & renovation which ended up being one of the more ugly renovations ever done on HGTV. I’m sure there others but let’s pretend. I didn’t even like the blue area rug in the open concept living room. OMG!! This place was ugly on so many levels. As, Phoebe said, “ My eyes! My eyes!”

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 6

Producers: If you want us to play along re: which house the buyers will choose, you really need to remove the obvious...like the blue tape on the kitchen floor (most likely outlining where the new island would be).

• Love 1
On 11/20/2018 at 2:58 PM, KFC said:

And then the wife and her mother proceeded to paint the fireplace TURQUOISE.

This might have been one of the most horrifying things I've seen on this show.

I literally gasped when I saw what she did to that beautiful fireplace. That was so fucking ugly, I can't. You could tell the husband hated it. Guarantee the next owner of the house will be like "What were they thinking?!"

The powder room was ugly too (though the wife's dad did do a good job with the molding - I just hated the color and wallpaper). And I might have bought, say, an $8K stove so I'd have a thousand dollars in the budget to move the sink in the powder room so it could be full-sized.

I'll end on a nice note, in the spirit of Thanksgiving: the little girl was adorable. I went "awww!" when she thanked the bubbles.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

$9,950 for a blue stove. Who knew? I guess when you have a million dollar budget it’s a drop in the bucket. I guess my question is will this stove cook/bake better then the average stove? 

They also charge $1300 for delivery.  I would like to know how they came up with that budget. Brookline is super expensive so it makes me wonder if they can really afford to live there. I love when people have a reno budget that they go over and they still put in all the high end finishes.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ByaNose said:

$9,950 for a blue stove. Who knew? I guess when you have a million dollar budget it’s a drop in the bucket. I guess my question is will this stove cook/bake better then the average stove? 

😮🤭😦

Yes, the little girl was adorable.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 1

I'm another who hated the turquoise fireplace.  If you have beautiful original wood, I really hate painting it at all, including the current rage for all wood painted white, although that room needed to be lightened up, I agree.  I think there still could have been other options besides painting it (and if you really must paint it, not that color).

Also would have gone with a different oven and used the money elsewhere.   

• Love 6

I bet they got the matching range hood, and that also requires the $1,300 white glove delivery.   It's worth it to twits like the homeowners, because even though the range hood is over $4k with delivery, knowing they spent a lot to match that ugly stove, they know it matches, even though it's hidden by the wooden hood cover.      The color is Provence Blue, https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/la-cornue-albertine-stove-roquefort/?cm_src=AutoRel.   I'm sure if it was called a more normal color name, they would have kept looking until they found something that cost more, and had a fancier name.  

I noticed they didn't get furniture that looked good in the family room, and my guess is they're like the people I knew in the D.C. area that had a few overpriced, antique looking pieces on the downstairs level, but upstairs had the cheap stuff we all bought right out of college, second hand.    I knew one woman who lived in a house like that, and the upstairs had only their dresser, and a bed, and some little tables they bought at IKEA,      Even with their combined income they could barely afford the house, let alone the furnishings they had to wait months to get after they ordered them from craftsmen.     They spent their time looking at fancy houses that were twice what their house costs, and eventually they did get one.   I bet I would recognize all of the downstairs furniture, since they only bought hand made, custom Amish craftsman pieces.     That kind of keeping up with the rich people is why you used to hear a lot of people call Suze Orman's show about how broke and underwater they were on everything, because they only spent for show, not for what they could afford.

My guess, if anything happens with the marriage, they'll both be in some crackerbox in the burbs, and they'll be lucky if nothing happens to their jobs, because that are is so expensive for taxes, and everything else. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I once remember reading HH Reno pays you $25,000  for the filming of your reno

Maybe they figured the money was gravy and spent it on the La Cornue stove splurge?

ETA: I didn't particularly care for the turquoise paint on  fireplace, but I wasn't a big fan of the before either

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 1
On 11/10/2018 at 11:33 PM, LittleIggy said:

CA theatre renovation: The guy seemed nice, but Morticia was irritating. She sure liked her bordello (I’m using a polite term) red. I thought that banquette has garish. Didn’t like the dark cabinets either. What was the name of that theatre? I can’t remember and want to google it. The teal tile he found in the lobby under the paint was lovely.

I'm a little late but I just watched this episode today.  Thank you so much for saying what I was thinking.  I also thought she looked like Morticia.    I also didn't care for the banquette and would have loved to see the finished theater.  The third house was horrible and way over the top.

One thing I really liked was how enthusiastic and excited the man got when he saw the other two historic buildings.  You could tell this was his passion and he couldn't wait to get started on the theater.  I'd love to see what he could have done with the church too.  

Edited by shlbycindyk
Edit Content
  • Love 3

Actually my understanding is HHR just supplies the designer, and some freebies to total $30k, but you have to pay full income tax on the donations, discounted or donated materials are charged to your income at full retail value.    Plus, the renovation is paid for by the homeowners also.    For example, if a floor supplier gives you 50k worth of flooring and installation, you pay the tax on that  donation or discount at full retail, as if you received 50k in cash.    Plus, the designer sees photos, measurements, of the space, and I'm guessing the homeowner tells them what they like,  but the meeting with the homeowners is only happening with the filming.   That's why some of the homeowners look shell shocked at the designer plans, and there is a great deal of change sometimes from the proposal, to the actual installation.   

The way the home makeover for charity cases avoided the tax is they rented the house from the owners for the length of the build, and as long as it was less than 30 days, the owners didn't have to pay tax on the improvements by the renters.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

First let me say that Ian Garten’s BFF, Brian Boitano, has not one but multiple Bertazonni ranges in all his houses.  Just sayin.

I for one didn’t have a problem with the turquoise fireplace.  The color choices in the kitchen, living room etc would not be mine.  But I think picking a theme and going with it is the way to go.  If someone doesn’t paint a something turquoise then we end up with white shaker cabinets with white subway tile.  There is no way I would leave that oppressive dark woodwork.  It looked like something from the Middle Ages.

21 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Concerning the oven/range, Ina Garten recently spent $15,000+ for this baby in their new Manhattan apartment. If someone who cooks every day for a living thinks it's worth it, must do something your average GE range doesn't.

Ina Garten's Fancy new range

I covet that stove! Hopefully, the whole new apartment will be featured somewhere eventually!

• Love 1

Extra big oven makes sense.  I wanted one on Thanksgiving, and get why people who cook a lot (as I do) might want professional grade.  However, a lot of people who rarely cook want Wolf, etc., because it has become a status symbol, even though a regular oven would be totally sufficient for anything they use it for. The oven that the Brookline wife purchased is likely all about the appearance, and I don't think the appearance was such that the difference in money was worth it given their budget constraints, but obviously people can choose what they spend money on.

I think extra money on the location made sense given commute time and resale, but much of the rest of the decor I did not get.

The couple with the turquoise fireplace:

I liked them because I noticed that everytime they found a negative in a house they were touring they made sure to say something positve about the house too.  So many HH get so nasty and really insulting towards the current owner's taste when they tour homes.  The husband had a great sense of humor and their daughter was adorable. I thought the wife seemed like a nice person.  I also liked the fact they kept the bottom kitchen cabinets instead of throwing them out.  As for the stove, I didn't mind the color but I didn't like the gold knobs.  The husband mentioned several times he liked to cook and grill out so I have a feeling that was for him.  He totally deserved it since his mother-in-law painted the fireplace that bright turquoise color.  If someone painted my fireplace that color, without my knowledge or consent, I'd invite them over for dinner and then, while they were eating, I'd take the leftover paint outside and paint their car.  I'm not sure why they did that to the fireplace.  It was very dark but it could have easily been stripped and restained a lighter color.  It was probably lighter originally when it was first built and had darkened with the use of the fireplace and general dirt that accumulated over a hundred years. 

After seeing the furnishings I have a feeling that turquoise is her favorite color.  However, to me,  it almost looked too "beachy" for that period of house.  I also wasn't a fan of the wallpaper in the small bathroom.  I thought it was too much for such a small room.  However, I'm not a fan of any type of wallpaper.  

Edited by shlbycindyk
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Empress1 said:

The powder room was ugly too- I just hated the color and wallpaper).

Is this the wallpaper that looked like a bunch of roaches? (at least that's what they looked like to me)  Why would anyone think that looks good?

• Love 3

I just watched the Brookline couple. Why, oh why, do these insufferable twits want vintage houses with "charm" and then proceed to rip it all out to achieve the hipster open concept look? I don't get it. I might have liked the blue used in the back of the kitchen cabinets if it had come close to matching the stove. Each blue was a different shade and the turquoise fireplace didn't go with anything. Were those people color blind? I agree that stripping the finish off the fireplace and restaining it lighter would have been the way to go. Personally, I'd have done that to the fireplace and painted the dark beams to lighten up the room.

The "island" was a loser. It was too low to function as a prep space and the baby poop green paint color was obnoxious. It was a good idea that turned out to be a total fail. Even with regular height chairs it looked too low to be comfortable.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, msmarjoribanks said:

I think extra money on the location made sense given commute time and resale, but much of the rest of the decor I did not get.

Yeah, as they said, you can't change location. It sounded like at least the husband worked in Boston proper so keeping his commute reasonable is a good priority (I am a stickler about commutes; I had a 90-minute commute once and NEVER AGAIN). If they have $1.3M to spend, I think it makes sense to prioritize that. (Meaning it's not like their budget would only get them something far away - they had options in their desired location.)

5 hours ago, MsTree said:

Is this the wallpaper that looked like a bunch of roaches? (at least that's what they looked like to me)  Why would anyone think that looks good?

Maybe they were beetles? I forget. (I once asked my old roommate if she was drinking out of a glass that had weasels on it; turns out they were foxes, but henceforth it was "the weasel glass.") The half bath was small and to me it looked even smaller when they finished with it.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

The half bath was small and to me it looked even smaller when they finished with it.

It was smaller they moved the wall in afoot. I actually didn’t mind the bathroom color or wallpaper because it was so tiny. I would have tried to get a different corner sink so that there would be room to put soap on it though I guess you could install a dispenser on the wall.

I loathed the round pulls on the kitchen cabinets though the glass shelves ended up looking a lot better than I thought they would when the backs were painted and the lighting installed. 

I would have made the island larger because there was room for it and the smaller one didn’t seem to fit the space.

I think it was mostly the furniture choices and placement but I didn’t like the family room, I would have probably made that area the dining room and turned the dining room into the living room.

the turquoise fireplace actually offended me! 

1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

Oh, that's right - that's why they had to either move the sink or use a tiny corner sink. Thanks!

Yup! They said it would be moved in a foot and then they added the bird bath as a sink. I guess powder room bathrooms aren't meant to be huge, right?  Unless, it was someone else living in the house primary bathroom. That would be a problem.

Edited by ByaNose

After reading all of the comments (so far) about the turquoise fireplace episode, I finally watched it last night.  I agree that painting the fireplace was a horrible idea.  I would have stripped it, and stained it a lighter color, and would also have lightened the color on the beams to match.  The pattern in the powder room wallpaper was bees.  

I would have to go back to school and major in something that pays really, really well to ever be able to buy something in that area of the country.  Where do ordinary people live if they work in Boston?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Yup! They said it would be moved in a foot and then they added the bird bath as a sink. I guess powder room bathrooms aren't meant to be huge, right?  Unless, it was someone else living in the house primary bathroom. That would be a problem.

Although I would agree it doesn't need to be huge, I think it was the only first floor bathroom, so one that would likely be used a lot and used by guests (not for staying overnight, but just during the course of an evening).  I'd want it not to be too small, given the option.

2 hours ago, laredhead said:

Where do ordinary people live if they work in Boston?

Further outside the city. There was a couple on original recipe HH that had a budget of like $250K, and they bought a small house in one of the suburbs closer to Providence, RI than Boston proper. If I recall correctly, she said they'd been priced out of even renting in Boston proper. I've known people who lived in Providence and worked in Boston. 

• Love 3

They're rerunning some HHR episodes this morning, and I hate some of these even more than the first time around.     The Nashville couple did a major kitchen remodel, with cabinets in navy blue, and marble look back splash, and the husband hated it in the proposal, didn't like the cabinets when they were installed, and you can tell he still doesn't like the kitchen.   What happened to compromise, and making a space that everyone in the house is comfortable living in?     

The Beverly MA remodel has another useless square table in the banquette, and that's the dining space?     Then the poor sap husband who only wanted a double door off the kitchen, ends up with a narrow slider that looks cheap.     I don't understand why they can't get semi-custom cabinets, with the finish they want, and save a lot over these full custom, generic looking cabinets?     And the original proposal for the glass back splash at the sink, and the giant hexagon tiles is awful.    The white cabinets are totally overpowered by the dark gray paint, and the entire kitchen looks odd.     I can't believe they dumped a dining room for a banquette and a huge kitchen.     If I house hunting, I would run away from that house so fast.  

I wonder if the designers think that going on TV, and proposing garish, pieced together kitchens will get them more business?     If I ever used a designer it would be someone who listens to me, and suggests something that will look cohesive, not something that is trendy, and looks outdated by the time it's installed.  

• Love 1
On 11/20/2018 at 1:58 PM, KFC said:

Brookline, Massachusetts

I laughed as read all the comments about this couple's choices! I wondered if I was the only person that hated almost all that they did to that house! One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that when they showed the painting of the fireplace the first time, I thought it was a joke and that that was a primer or something on it because it was messy painting and you could see the brushstrokes! Then when I realized that was the finished look, I really cringed as I did each time they showed it. A little turquoise goes a long way!

• Love 4
20 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I laughed as read all the comments about this couple's choices! I wondered if I was the only person that hated almost all that they did to that house! One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that when they showed the painting of the fireplace the first time, I thought it was a joke and that that was a primer or something on it because it was messy painting and you could see the brushstrokes! Then when I realized that was the finished look, I really cringed as I did each time they showed it. A little turquoise goes a long way!

I forgot that. It would have been a bad first coat let alone a final coat. I don’t know if they did it or had it “professionally” done but it was awful. 

• Love 2

I'm beginning to wonder why I watch this show. So far tonight I've spent half the show yelling at the TV "Are you fucking crazy!!". Open shelves are a waste of space. They must not have the amount of dishes etc. I have, and I have twice the amount of cabinets they have and could use more.

• Love 6

Tonight's Denver episode.    The designer wants the cooktop in the peninsula, and no vent because Denver code doesn't require a vent if there is a nearby window you can open?    That's ridiculous.    And there's nothing guests will like better than sitting at the peninsula, with grease popping at you, and having to open the window to get the steam, and smoke out.       I don't care what you do , that will still be a tiny kitchen.     Who would ever try to remodel a house that old, and not know that there's asbestos, and bad electrical?     I'm sure the plumbing will be an issue too.   So far, they've hit every cliche in kitchen design, with faux beams in the tiny kitchen, shaker cabinets, in two tones.      And who would think that a really old house would have virtually no insulation?    Yes, all of us.     

I'm predicting these people will end up like the many seasons ago Denver episode, where the home buyers said the place was a total money pit, and they wished they never bought it.    Those do-it-yourself Adirondack chairs for the porch look flimsy to me.     I know they do a lot of 'drama' and discoveries on this show, but this one is over the top with simple things that should have been noticed on the contractor's walk through.     This performance by the contractor and designer certainly wouldn't make me want to use either of them if I lived in Denver.    I'm so over open shelving, probably because they can't afford real cabinets, and two toned cabinets, and brass fixtures in the kitchen, is so boring, and trendy.      $50k certainly didn't go very far did it?   

I love the leather pulls on the sink cabinet, and I'm sure the dog enjoyed chewing them up.     That house is so small, and cramped.    Did they actually have a dining room?   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The designer wants the cooktop in the peninsula, and no vent because Denver code doesn't require a vent if there is a nearby window you can open? 

I didn't watch (football!), but did they not have/want to make room for a downdraft vent in the peninsula?  It's not the end of the world to go without a vent - and I wouldn't want one overhead a cooktop located in a peninsula/island, either - but it's not ideal, either, and the lack of overhead space is no reason to automatically go without -- some downdrafts work better than others, and the laws of physics mean an overhead is always going to be more efficient, but they're quite functional, and significantly better than nothing unless you're doing nothing but seriously high-heat cooking.  So what was the reason for going without?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

So what was the reason for going without?

Because it would have added some obstruction to the oh so important open concept. They might have to move their head to talk to someone or not be in on the hilarity happening outside the kitchen.

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Because it would have added some obstruction to the oh so important open concept. They might have to move their head to talk to someone or not be in on the hilarity happening outside the kitchen.

It's only severaal inches up front the countertop; it's not an obstruction!  (If they get a downdraft; again, I get not wanting an overhead vent with a peninsula/island in general, and particularly depending on the layout.)  Did they actually discuss and reject a downdraft, or apparently think the only option was an overhead vent?  Even if they intended to use the peninsula for seating as well as the cooktop (again, I didn't see it), a downdraft vent and the mild height/moderate noise it creates is only going to be in use during cooking; it will be out of sight and mind after that.

• Love 1

Denver - Overall, it was okay. It wasn’t the worst and certainly not the greatest. They had one of the smaller budgets (50k) and, they didn’t go over. The only real renovation they did was the kitchen. It a lot of mismatched stuff going on which I didn’t care for. They had the standard white shaker cabinets, exposed brick 🧱, some low drawers or was it a bench with library pulls (which thought were cute), a wood pantry which I thought looked like the 70’s, the open stove facing the living room......WTF? Then they had a modern light fixture over it which was another WTF? The backyard was a nice size and the did some landscaping themselves. I’ll give them points for that. The from porch was okay but I didn’t care for the plastic over cover but it seemed like it was a temporary solution. In general, the house was kind of small. They didn’t have kids so it might just end up being a starter home. They seemed like a fun couple and got a kick out of each other. They were very good looking without being obnoxious. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

Denver: I actually liked the kitchen remodel. Guess I’m stupid. Loved the library drawer pulls. 

I liked much of it too.  Thought the decision to forego the vent was wrong (my oven is in the island/breakfast bar and I still have a hood/vent, and a window doesn't cut it, especially in a place where it gets cold and you wouldn't want to have the window open in the winter), and hated the farmer sink, but I thought it was more interesting than the usual, and liked the library pulls, oak as well as white, and the two counter tops.  I do think it lacked cabinet space and the open shelving wasn't going to be functional, and I'm afraid the "brick is crumbly" point is true and that brick may be an issue eventually.

I would have worked on the landscaping as part of part 1, they could have DIY'd it.

Nice location, and that's the house I wanted them to pick.

8 hours ago, ByaNose said:

They were very good looking without being obnoxious. 

The woman had a great head of hair. The guy reminded me a little of a guy I was seeing for a few months a few years ago, except the guy I was seeing was taller (6'6"). I found this guy's personality a little grating though - he was "on." Hopefully that's just for TV.

I can't stand open shelving. It's so pointless to me. More dusting + less storage = no go for me. And the cooktop facing the living room would drive me nuts, as both a homeowner and a guest.

• Love 2

I only disliked the leather pulls because I'm betting the dog chewed them up as soon as he had a chance.    

My parents had an older house, without a vent for the cook top, and we had to open the window too, but it was a 50/50 chance that the wind would be still, and the steam and smoke (we're a family of food burners) would even go outside, mostly it would drive it into the house.   We also had to paint the ceiling when the grease and soot built up too.      They could have put a stainless vent, and just put it high enough to avoid anyone every hitting it with their head, and it would have vented very well, and avoided grease build up, and smoking the house up.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

Denver episode. That awning thing over the front porch reminded me of something you would see on a Winnebago in a camp ground. Not appealing.  Did not like the leather pulls at all. The house seemed really small. Does anyone remember the square footage? Even just for two, it would feel cramped to me. He's a pilot, so maybe he is not home much. :)

• Love 2

Denver. The house did seem small with budget. Granted, it needed work but for the budget (which I don’t recall) I would they could have bought a whole new home in Denver. I know they new-new wasn’t their thing but the budget alone didn’t seem to be enough. Can’t you buy a McMansion in Denver with their budget? The husband is a pilot and I know they make good money. Just curious. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I can't stand open shelving. It's so pointless to me. More dusting + less storage = no go for me. And the cooktop facing the living room would drive me nuts, as both a homeowner and a guest.

Yup on the open shelving.  I really don't want to worry about whether my plates and bowls look super nice when they are just put away.  And the dusting.

At my last place I had one (only one) cabinet with glass instead of solid wood, and that was plenty of showing plates and bowls for me.  (Funny thing was at one point the glass broke and I wasn't going to bother replacing it, you could hardly tell, until I came home one day and saw my naughty cat had managed to get into the cabinet and was curled up and sleeping on a plate.  No go.  Also makes me wonder what disasters could result from open shelving in a home with a cat or two, but at least that wasn't an issue here.)  ;-)

Edited by msmarjoribanks
  • Love 6