Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters Renovation - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I loved the exterior of the house that they chose.  

Biakbiak, I agree that the kitchen was underwhelming.  The only one that I disliked more on HHR was the orange decal kitchen. That was mostly because of colors. I thought that the kitchen was a mishmash of styles. I like it in segments but thought that together it was all over the place.  I was over at my mother's house and she said that it was like five different designers worked on it without consulting each other.  My favorite part of it was the pantry with the sliding barn doors. 

I didn't know what she was talking about when she first went off about plastics.  I agree that vinyl can look nice and that you shouldn't poo poo something until you see the product.  I'm curious, would the manufactured stone have plastics in it as fillers?  I wasn't paying close enough attention during that segment so didn't hear what it was made out of. I was glad that they liked it after they were less than enthused about the way the slab looked.  I liked that the show showed how the installers fused the two slabs together and that the couple was interested in the process.  I didn't think that the salvaged marble/granite(?) that they used really enhanced the space but at least they can say they have it in the space.

Edited by Lilytiger

MsChicklet, the countertops were quartz and the floors were laminate in both the kitchen and living roon.  Her designer gave her some good advice as to the two patterns and how they would look against each other.

Not a big deal, laredhead, but I noticed the workmen installing some type of linoleum floor tiles in the kitchen and eat-in areas.  I believe they used laminate everywhere else.

Financially, I think it is a big strange deal.  Those were definitely peel and stick floors with quartz countertops in the kitchen, and the difference in money spent must be incredible.  It seems to make more sense to go expensive with the floors first, while they are bare without any appliances (or even better, cabinets) to work around, and go less expensive with countertops intially.  Then, as you have more money, you can put in expensive quartz countertops.  

But then again, as Agubella pointed out, paying 70k more for the house than it was initially offered is mystifying as well.

Back to the Ct. couple's house last night, Lilytiger, I believe that quartz countertops contain man made resin that holds the crushed quartz together.  I didn't think the small granite countertops added much either.  I agree with your mother's opinion that the kitchen looked like a committee put it together w/o consulting one another.

7-Zark-7, I agree with you regarding installing more expensive flooring over expensive countertops.  Easier to do that later and floors will wear faster than counters. 

I can tell you all, that after an extensive renovation of my master bathroom, I'm totally convinced that HHR is either getting ALL their products at cost, or they pay nothing for labor or they are downright fudging on the costs of renovating these houses. There's no way on God's green earth that these homeowners get everything they claim, with such small budgets.

I was just wondering about this out loud to Mr. Bubbls. I recently priced both marble and quartz for my small kitchen. There's no way those prices are correct unless they're getting that stuff for free and they're just quoting labor costs.

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 1
I also liked their concern with using natural materials and recycling

The bamboo floor drama irked me, because there's a perfectly viable solution that wouldn't cost an extra $3K: linoleum.  Modern vinyl floors are plastic, but old-fashioned linoleum is a natural product and it's still being manufactured.  I would expect a real kitchen designer to know that.

• Love 1

ChelseaNH, my son recently remodeled his kitchen and they wanted linoleum, but trying to find an installer was difficult, and then they wanted a lot more to install it.  Every installer said it was "labor intensive".  They ended up with a vinyl tile floor because the budget was very tight.  Sometimes, trying to be eco-friendly costs more in our part of the country at least.  I think installers would rather work with a product they know instead of trying to learn something new.

ChelseaNH, my son recently remodeled his kitchen and they wanted linoleum, but trying to find an installer was difficult, and then they wanted a lot more to install it.  Every installer said it was "labor intensive".  They ended up with a vinyl tile floor because the budget was very tight.  Sometimes, trying to be eco-friendly costs more in our part of the country at least.  I think installers would rather work with a product they know instead of trying to learn something new.

Completely agree, laredhead.  And the installers will definitely attempt to subtly (or not) influence you to purchase their fave product instead of your choice.  JMHO

• Love 1

The wife should have gone with her first instincts as soon as she saw the counter material as a slab and stuck with "OH HELL NO." That pattern was fugly.

A cushioned banquette with a small child. I hope the designer threw in a contract with Stanley Steemer as part of the deal. They could have saved money and hassle with just a round table and four chairs. They have the formal dining room for company.

• Love 1

The wife should have gone with her first instincts as soon as she saw the counter material as a slab and stuck with "OH HELL NO." That pattern was fugly.

Totally fugly!  HGTV's getting what they paid for from these designers - $0!  This designer, Lorey, couldn't even get off her duff and show up for 100% of the filming!  What was that about?  Yes, we understand that people use design assistants but it wasn't important enough, appearing on national television, to show up herself?  And, hey, how about taking your clients to the stoneyard to select a suitable countertop, while you're at it?

Agree with everyone about the disjointed feel of the kitchen.  Again, I believe it goes back to the design.  One design basic is repeating elements.  No, everything doesn't have to be matchy-matchy but for consistency, you hope to repeat every element at least 1x, preferably 2x, i.e. use each choice 3x.  I saw absolutely nothing repeated from that eat-in area.  Ok, maybe they painted that 1 outer post purple (on the other side of the kit, adjacent to the peninsula) but that's not enough!

They used the granite remnant plus a tile counter in the pantry instead of quartz, banquette fabrics only used 1x, painted different colors (sage, purple instead of white/cream), different table top, different chair style than the counter stools and barnwood doors.  IMHO their carpenter needed to construct those doors to coordinate with the kitchen cabinets.  The barnwood could have been used elsewhere in the home. 

And, overall, how many woods / wood tones were used in the kitchen:  painted kitchen cabs, bamboo floors, barnwood, counter stools - prob pine, banquette chairs, dark window and door frames, etc.  What's that, about 12 wood tones, lol? 

(BTW, how many floors / flooring choices does that house contain?  Causes the same problems, IMHO.  Don't get me started on that!)

Yes, the pantry was nice and I did like the barnwood but it just wasn't integrated well into the kitchen.  Without repeating elements, the kitchen felt disjointed and smaller, IMHO.

Besides the materials chosen, what about the layout and function?  I'd be constantly running to the pantry for add'l ingredients.

Again, the issue goes back to HGTV.  They aren't involving these designers enough and/or early enough in the process to properly do the job, IMHO.  Sounds like tptb contact the freebie designer and hand them the dimensions of the room designated by the homeowners as the "kitchen".  Sorry, but the homeowners need help upfront to properly design the home's layout, considering the way their family will live in the home and traffic patterns, etc.

For example, like many previous HHR's, we ended up with a kitchen containing 3 doorways.  Uh, no, no, nyet, nein ...  !!  Yes, I checked the homeowners' filmed tour of the property and they said something like, "Well, this kitchen's workable b/c it's so large!"  No, no, no!  Doesn't mean that's the optimal space for the updated kitchen.  They're not properly defining the space, IMHO.

I'm not the biggest fan of open concept but yes, the old kitchen needed to be larger and also, maybe more importantly, feel larger.  Otherwise, the entire house feels claustrophobic, IMHO.  No, the way to update it wasn't simply by throwing a pantry into the existing eat-in and calling it done! 

2 things needed to happen, IMHO.  First, they needed to eliminate a wall, somewhere, to both enlarge the old kitchen and integrate it into the remainder of the home.  Second, in the process of removing that wall, they needed at least 1 doorway removed.  That way, they wouldn't have ended up with exactly the same kitchen as before!  (BTW, I'm not saying that every kitchen update requires a new layout.  This one, however, did!)

Tough to say w/o plans but probably, they should have combined the kitchen with the dining room.   (I couldn't get a good enough sense of the layout from their tour so am not sure.)  Don't know if they'd have enough space with another room to use the old/existing eat-in as something else.  Or, maybe it should have remained an eat-in.  Or, possibly the eat-in should have been fully integrated into the kitchen sans 1 doorway and plus some other room functioning as the eat-in.  Don't know ... 

The above would be the best use of the designer, i.e. to determine the home's layout and properly integrate the kitchen, typically considered the most important space in the house, into the remainder of the home.  They don't need the designer to redraw the old kitchen space with new shaker cabs, quartz countertops and a banquette.  Speaking of design assistants, they can do that.  OMG, she flipped the peninsula from one side to the other!  Wow!

Yes, my proposal would probably be more expensive.  Sorry, but IMHO, what they're doing isn't worth the $$$.  Why bother?  It's a waste of time, IMHO.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

I usually don't comment on the renos because most of the time it's just personal taste. However, tonight's show with the repurposed bookshelf/desk is different. The idea was great, but what the hell did they do below the "desk" drawers?? It looked like a giant painted plywood drawer! Just ugly, and ruined the entire concept. It wouldn't have cost much more to buy some ready-made cabinets at Lowe's or Home Depot, paint or stain them the same color as the others (on either side), and buy a matching remnant slab of granite for the top.

I usually don't comment on the renos because most of the time it's just personal taste. However, tonight's show with the repurposed bookshelf/desk is different. The idea was great, but what the hell did they do below the "desk" drawers?? It looked like a giant painted plywood drawer! Just ugly, and ruined the entire concept. It wouldn't have cost much more to buy some ready-made cabinets at Lowe's or Home Depot, paint or stain them the same color as the others (on either side), and buy a matching remnant slab of granite for the top.

Does this mean you don't want a giant, toybox in your dining room, MsTree?  Doesn't everyone need one there, lol?  Yep, it was a "giant painted plywood drawer" exactly as you indicated!

Have learned over the years that if you attempt to match built-ins with ready-made cabs, it takes forever trying to locate the best match, never quite works and actually ends up being more noticeable, almost every time!  With the carpenters already on site, they could have asked them to fire up their router and build two doors plus the frame inset, inserting them as false fronts.  Yes, then the couple could finish the project by painting to match the existing cabinets. 

Depending on both their budget and needs, they could have either asked the carpenter to build out the interiors or alternatively, simply placed large, oversized baskets behind the false fronts to hold the kid's junk.  Or, leave that space empty behind the false fronts - they had 6 other large cabinets for toy storage!

WRT the countertop, the plain, solid-surface countertop was fine, IMHO.  Granite would have competed and detracted from their marble, kitchen countertop, IMHO.  (For example, consider last week's competing quartz kitchen countertop and granite remnant on the "message center", adjacent to the banquette.)  Also, that was an extremely wide space so remnants probably wouldn't have been available in that size, IMHO.  

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

Given the nice job the husband did on the table and the bench I am hoping that white plywood thing that didn't even open properly was a temporary solution because he didn't have enough time to finish the actual thing before they came back to film.

Overall I thought it was a good reno but thought there was way too much seating in the kitchen/dining area, they had a table for four, a breakfast bar that could easily seat four and a table that sat 10 within three feet of each other! I would have gotten rid of the table for four, especially because the banquette looked cheap and just eaten at the big table and breakfast bar.

I also really hated the chandelier above the dining table.

Edited by biakbiak

Last night's episode about the Port Chester, NY couple made me want to mute the sound.  I did not know it was possible for a woman to have vocal fry and be shrill at the same time.  How the husband has put up with that voice for as long as he has is beyond me. In the intro she said they met when they were teenagers and he dumped her and then they got back together several years later.   The reno ended up going over budget by a little bit, in the grand scheme of things, and all they did to the second floor was paint the bedrooms.  I think that house had the pink bathroom upstairs.  At least there was no drama about how the children would have to sleep on a separate floor at the parents as 2 bedrooms were upstairs and 2 were downstairs.  Each child would have their own room which was their goal.  Someone refresh my memory about the basement, please.  Was it the partially finished space?  I erased the episode immediately after watching.  I liked that they refinished the downstairs bathtub and did not spend $10,000 remodeling a bathroom that was perfectly functional with just a little sprucing up.  The couple did some of the work themselves, and all in all, the finished space turned out nice.  I wasn't a fan of the random stainless tiles inserted into the glass backspash.  I like glass tile and I like stainless tile, just not in that particular pattern.    

Her voice was real difficult to listen to.   Now we all know the house hunt is staged but can they at least be a little more realistic when showing homes out of the neighborhood?  For some reason, wife was adamant about Port Chester.  Yes, it has good schools and it's a lot cheaper than Rye Brook which has better schools or City of Rye which has even better schools.  However, to go see a home in Pelham Manor and say it's too far from the desired location...  it's 15 minutes south of Port Chester and it's way closer to NYC and it also has a superior school system and property values will hold much better than Port Chester.  When they were going to do the requisite out of town house, I figured they'd go north and show more house for the money.  Just an odd choice.

Also wasn't in with the random stainless squares interspersed on the backsplash - would have rather seen more of them or none at all.   Also glad she got her glass uppers.  I too have an unsymmetrical upper cabinet door situation but I like it because it's what I want and it functions for how we live. 

Given the nice job the husband did on the table and the bench I am hoping that white plywood thing that didn't even open properly was a temporary solution because he didn't have enough time to finish the actual thing before they came back to film.

Overall I thought it was a good reno but thought there was way too much seating in the kitchen/dining area, they had a table for four, a breakfast bar that could easily seat four and a table that sat 10 within three feet of each other! I would have gotten rid of the table for four, especially because the banquette looked cheap and just eaten at the big table and breakfast bar.

I also really hated the chandelier above the dining table.

Had the same thought initially about the toybox possibly being a temporary option but double-checked the designer's drawing and that was the way she had it sketched so that was the final version.  W/o the upper built-in sections, they might have liked the desk option, if they'd reconsidered it.    

Agree with you about the table/banquette.  It appeared unnecessary.  W/o it, they probably could have placed a small seating area in front of the f/p.

The table was nicely constructed but those side chairs were oversized and competed with the head/foot chairs.  Between all that bulk, a nice but large picnic table and huge sectional, their great room wasn't feeling so great, IMHO.  Everything was out of scale.  (Yep, that's why they couldn't properly open the toybox, too.)

They lost me on the Craftsman and traditional styles.  They said the 60's style rock f/p was Craftsman?  O-kay ...  Between the kitchen, picnic table and farm sink, I thought it was possibly traditional with a touch of country.  Is the shandy contemporary?  If they meant to do eclectic, it wasn't happening, for me, anyway.

Yeah, agree with you about the shandy, too.  Perhaps they were going for fun and playful but didn't get there.

One other thing, lol:  if you must remove a major light source in the mbr, why not add in a narrow window above the headboard, sometimes known as a "bed window"?  The wall was already opened up so you may as well, IMHO.

Edited by aguabella

aguabella, I guess I was so focused on the hunk of plywood that I didn't even notice solid surface countertop! And you're right about the granite potentially clashing.

Also like your idea about doors instead of store-bought cabinets. Maybe even do "pull-outs" behind the routed doors :-)

Hated the bright yellow stools in that reno.  First of all, it has been done, so there is absolutely nothing new and creative there.  Second, to me it looks cheap.

They stayed remarkably on budget, but they could have saved more by sticking with the upper cabinets and having them painted.  They seemed to have been in decent condition.

I almost freaked out when the wife started taking the tile down in the bathroom.  I thought she was just going to paint!

Hubby seemed very nice ... I'm not much for beards so I think he would look pretty good if he shaved.  JMHO.

• Love 1

aguabella, I guess I was so focused on the hunk of plywood that I didn't even notice solid surface countertop! And you're right about the granite potentially clashing.

Also like your idea about doors instead of store-bought cabinets. Maybe even do "pull-outs" behind the routed doors :-)

Pull-outs would be a great option for them.  That's the nice thing about the false fronts - they can hide anything or nothing behind them!

(edited)

Hated the bright yellow stools in that reno.  First of all, it has been done, so there is absolutely nothing new and creative there.  Second, to me it looks cheap.

They stayed remarkably on budget, but they could have saved more by sticking with the upper cabinets and having them painted.  They seemed to have been in decent condition.

Pretty much every chair selected was awful, IMHO.  Don't know exactly what the designer was responsible for b/c I suspect they did the family room seating area themselves.

Speaking of the designer, HGTV got their $$$ worth from her - well, if/when you consider that they paid $0!  She did very little, IMHO.

Same thing for the budget, if you ask me.  Don't know how they used the show's 30K.  Granted, they did accomplish many small projects with a fair amount of DIY so that's terrific.

But the kitchen???  They changed out the countertop and backsplash.  Yes, that marble was a few $$$.  They didn't change the layout so major $$$ saved there and very little work and/or inconvenience to all.

Did I miss something on the cabinets, MoreCoffeePlease?  Yes, they retained the lowers, painted them, etc.  WRT the uppers, I thought they retained those, too but reworked them, adding the glass inserts for the top shelf (of each cabinet) plus lighting - besides painting them and so on ...  Correct?

Would have been nice to see a detailed breakdown of the budget.  Yes, we received a few tidbits but not much, IMHO.

Edited by aguabella

I finally saw the renovation mentioned in the last few posts.  They totally replaced the upper cabinets which I thought was a waste of money.  I think the old ones could have been retained and painted like the lower ones.  I noticed that the new ones seem to be made with MDF, but I may be wrong.  I bet the old ones were solid wood which I would have never removed.  Yes, the glass inserts on the doors look nice, but you can only display nice things there.  I have solid wood doors on my kitchen cabinets that go to the ceiling, and those top shelves are where things I seldom use are stored like holiday china, extra things and stuff that would not look good being seen through a glass insert.  I guess gray is the new beige, eh?  Have seen more and more houses being redone using variations of gray.

I also would have never removed the wall tiles in the bathroom.  I think it could have looked very fresh and updated with a change of wall color and some new hardware for the fixures along with a new vanity and sink.

I agreed with the designer about not ripping out the storage unit that they kept calling a desk.  That was some valuable display and storage space.  Springing for a custom made rolling toy box would have been money well spent rather than what they ended up with as toy storage.

I wonder if the wife really did all of the painting, because she is no painted from the few scenes I saw.  Not enough paint on the roller and her technique left something to be desired.  I have painted many a wall over several renovations.  Maybe she'll get the hang of it after a few more remodels.  

Finally, the forest green color was still on the outside of the house in the final reveal.  I guess outside painting will have to wait until the bank account is replenished.

Overall, the house certainly looked better after they finished.  I would have not wanted to have lived there with or without a 3 year old during all of that renovation.  They seemed to have weathered the project well and get a thumbs up from me for that.     

Yes, the glass inserts on the doors look nice, but you can only display nice things there.

I have glass fronts on my dish cabinets, with stacked plates, bowls and cups.  It's not messy but it's not particularly decorative.  Just makes it obvious what goes where, and how much is available.

I have glass fronts on my dish cabinets, with stacked plates, bowls and cups.  It's not messy but it's not particularly decorative.  Just makes it obvious what goes where, and how much is available.

Sounds nice and organized, ChelseaNH.  The difference for the Simi Valley couple was probably that the inserts were located at the tippy top of custom, 42" cabinets so adjacent to the ceiling.  Tough to pull your dishes out of those!  They're only for nicer vases or pottery or other display items, IMHO.

Incidentally, that was another thing I noticed about their designer - she didn't even seem to put much effort into staging those or locating nice tchotchkes.

Edited by aguabella

I finally saw the renovation mentioned in the last few posts.  They totally replaced the upper cabinets which I thought was a waste of money.  I think the old ones could have been retained and painted like the lower ones.  I noticed that the new ones seem to be made with MDF, but I may be wrong.  I bet the old ones were solid wood which I would have never removed.  Yes, the glass inserts on the doors look nice, but you can only display nice things there.  I have solid wood doors on my kitchen cabinets that go to the ceiling, and those top shelves are where things I seldom use are stored like holiday china, extra things and stuff that would not look good being seen through a glass insert.  I guess gray is the new beige, eh?  Have seen more and more houses being redone using variations of gray.

I also would have never removed the wall tiles in the bathroom.  I think it could have looked very fresh and updated with a change of wall color and some new hardware for the fixures along with a new vanity and sink.

I agreed with the designer about not ripping out the storage unit that they kept calling a desk.  That was some valuable display and storage space.  Springing for a custom made rolling toy box would have been money well spent rather than what they ended up with as toy storage.

I wonder if the wife really did all of the painting, because she is no painted from the few scenes I saw.  Not enough paint on the roller and her technique left something to be desired.  I have painted many a wall over several renovations.  Maybe she'll get the hang of it after a few more remodels.  

Finally, the forest green color was still on the outside of the house in the final reveal.  I guess outside painting will have to wait until the bank account is replenished.

Overall, the house certainly looked better after they finished.  I would have not wanted to have lived there with or without a 3 year old during all of that renovation.  They seemed to have weathered the project well and get a thumbs up from me for that.     

I heard they were going to "change" the uppers but never heard or saw the specifics.  Change could mean to rework so ???  I hope they retained the uppers, too.

You're correct, laredhead, that they could have worked with those tile colors.  Personally, I would have also retained the tiles but probably had them sprayed white for an updated, clean look.  That way, they could simply update accessories or wall colors as seasonal colors change.

Yes, I'd have the d/r cabinets done professionally, as mentioned above, buy why not maintain some flexibility by using false fronts and shelving?  That way, if/when they sell the home, they won't have to worry about the d/r toy box.  And, even if they said, on script, that they'll live there forever ... statistically, they'll sell, within (probably) 5 years, like most young couples, IMHO.  I'm sure their little darling can figure out that toys can also be stored on plain shelves, hahaha!

Noticed that about the painting, too.  Didn't believe she was the painter.  Yeah, btw, bugs me when I see them slapping paint on intensely colored walls.  Anyone heard of tinted primer?  Sorry, I don't believe the paint + primer version is worth the extra $$$.

Never heard them put exterior painting on the reno list.  It looked fine from what I could see.  IIRC, they mentioned the color during the HH portion but that's just tptb, highlighting differences between the homes, IMHO.  Doesn't necessarily mean the homeowners absolutely had to change out the color, immediately, IMHO.  It's just more HH drama, again IMHO.

Agree, overall nice job on the reno.  Now, if the guy can just install that bed window since they didn't think about it when the mbr wall was opened up.  Funny, looked like they had about 12 lights on in that room during the reveal, lol!

Edited by aguabella

(snip)

Not a big deal, laredhead but I rewatched certain parts of this episode when it reran a few days ago to determine what actually happened.  Curious if I'd missed it on the initial go-round.  I continue watching HH strictly for renos so had to answer this question and satisfy myself.

The designer spoke highly of their existing, 42" cabinets, and then proposed "updating the uppers".  The contractor's team carefully removed them so they could be reworked.

No they didn't air any of the actual project work but they definitely appeared to be the same cabinets on reveal, IMHO.  A couple of them appeared larger but weren't - prob b/c of the glass inserts.  They also appeared different and/or larger due to the increased size of the kitchen window.  (Had noticed on my initial viewing that the designer removed the small end-cap display shelves.  The window utilized that space on one side.)

During my initial watch, I also had a concern about the budget and wondered if new custom cabinets accounted for the difference.  I don't think so - noticed on rewatch that the contractor was building a pantry from scratch.  For some reason, they showed the framing going up at the reno's outset but didn't show any additional work or talk about it during the reveal.  (Perhaps its interior wasn't finished!)  In any event, I suspect that project used the budget $$$ I'd wondered about.

And, I believe the husband misspoke when he talked about the "custom made" cabinets.  I believe he meant custom, reworked cabinets.  Between the new glass inserts on each and every one plus paint job and other finish details, the uppers felt new, improved and custom, indeed.  JMHO

Edited by aguabella

Was watching Tuesday morning but didn't get a chance to see the whole episode. In the third house the couple looked at the kitchen had a what looked like a Frigidaire Flair. I was curious if that was the house they picked, and if so, whether they kept it, sold it, or ignorantly junked it.

(edited)

Usually I'm not a fan of the LA renos but I just season 1 episode 4, a nice couple who bought a 300K house near the Van Nuys airport.  They were both so nice and easy going, it was refreshing to see. Their remodel they did so much themselves, seeing Meredith get the house and buy all her own doorknobs from Home Depot and digging up her own garden. They cooked in their garage and ate take out in the back, so realistic and pleasant people. 

I also loved that they didn't micro manage the kitchen renovation, she in fact wanted to be surprised and didn't go look at it at all. They also did so much and didn't go over budget, they did everything for 38K. 

I loved the final result.

https://asdinteriors.wordpress.com/2012/10/19/hgtvs-house-hunters-renovation-episode-4/

Edited by Artsda

I watched a rerun in the Boston area – Framingham, perhaps, I can't recall – with a pregnant woman and her husband.  They were refreshing HHs for their willingness to do some of their own work and appreciation of details most people featured on this show would shrink in horror upon seeing, so I hope they’re happier with what HGTV’s designer did with their kitchen than I would be. 

A sink located essentially in another room from the fridge and stove, and lots of counter space in proximity to that sink but little next to the stove.  A bench of the same height as the table at which it sat.  A chandelier that looked like a stick figure hanging from the ceiling, completely inadequate for the medallion adorning it.  Countertops blocking off the lower portion of windows (bad enough from inside, but truly hideous looking in from outside). 

It was very nice looking, but a pretty big fail functionally, at least as I would want to use a kitchen.  Again, they were delightful people in contrast with the HHs we so often see, so I hope it works for them.

I got a nice chuckle when she - very pregnant - told him, "I wish I could do more to help" and he replied, "So do I."  And I related to his reason for doing things himself: "Not just to save money, but because I don't think anyone else will do it as well as I will."  (Although, I'd have done the electrical differently.)

• Love 1

Bastet, there were many comments about that Boston episode when it aired.  Some echoed exactly what you said, especially the comments about the windows being blocked by the countertops, and the chopped up floor plan.   

The episode that aired Saturday (probably a repeat, a young couple in Burbank who bought in the flight path) featured a desire for a "ladies' lounge."  At the end, this was revealed to be ... a big closet, in which the HH apparently intended to hang out.  Okay.

• Love 1

I only watched a few bits and pieces of this, so I don’t have an overall impression of her, but the HH in one of yesterday’s repeats who vetoed her mom’s insistence that the kitchen was the most important thing by saying she didn’t care about the kitchen because she doesn’t cook made me smile.  Well, I don’t understand being 30-ish and not cooking (nor do I understand being that old and never having moved out of your parents’ house, but, hey, different strokes).  But I am willing to set that aside for a nice moment of relief from all the “I must have brand-new appliances with stainless steel finish … even though I’ll never use them” folks that populate this series.

• Love 2

Bastet, what I don't understand is how they make those statements almost with a sense of pride.  I don't cook, I don't wash dishes, I don't mow grass, I don't share bathroom space, etc.  Makes me think an entire generation of lazy, selfish people have been spawned.

(edited)

Okay, last night's renovation. I have to say, on the one hand, I hated everything they did. I hated the bedroom (and their furniture), I hated their master bath, I hated the kitchen, I hated the new exterior of their house. On the other hand, I appreciate that they ended up with a house that isn't just like every other house that you see on HGTV. I especially like that they rejected the white subway tiles and black-and-white patterned small tile floors for the bathroom that it seems like are mandated by law if a bathroom is going to be on tv. Completely lazy offering by the designer IMO, who should have realized it would not suit those particular clients (acknowledging, of course, that whole scenario was probably drafted by the show writers).

I liked the couple overall but I don't need to hear the words "masculine" or "whimsical" ever again. Also, her laugh was beyond annoying, at least to me.

eta: the laundry area was meh to me but I can't say I hated it.

Edited by Peanutbuttercup

Peanutbuttercup, I agree about the overuse of the word "whimsical" on last night's show.  After all of the backstory on her lupus diagnosis and the fact that she wanted to avoid a house with stairs, they chose the one with the most stairs inside the house.  Maybe she doesn't plan to go upstairs very much.  Were the other bedrooms on another floor?  if so, she's going to be going up and down a lot when that baby arrives.  I wasn't a fan of the bedroom decor, but I agree that at least it did not look like what has become the norm on HH.  The kitchen was functional, but they didn't go over the top on redoing it.  I think I would have reversed the layout in the laundry room and elevated the washer & dryer on pedestals and put the sink under the window.  I have a front loader washer & appreciate it being elevated because I have back problems.  Bending down almost to the floor to unload clothes is literally a pain.  All in all, a nice couple who didn't snipe at each other or have too much drama during the episode.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I hated the layout of that house it was a hot mess, no way I would have purchased it. Though they did dramatically improve the entry by closing off that one wall and widening the other doorway so you didn't walk into a space with four different doorways.

The arch in the bathroom looked like it wasn't cut properly.

Edited by biakbiak

I left halfway through the episode, so I didn't see the renovations, but I was surprised their place wasn't right on the beach.  It had that typical "ugly as hell from the street" look common to homes where the attractive side is the one facing the beach -- the street side is just where one pulls into the garage.  If I catch a rerun, I'll be most curious to see what they did to spruce that up.

Thanks to Seinfeld, I am an insensitive jerk who can't hear reference to lupus without hearing George fretting "Lupus, is it lupus?!" in my head.  The "I don't want stairs because of my condition" storyline made him look like an ass for being more invested in beach community property than something accessible to his wife in the future.  I wonder how they feel about how they came across.

I just watched an episode where a couple bought a really cool mid-century modern home in Encino.  The designer picked out a unique and dramatic green marble for the kitchen island and backsplash ... I hated it!  It didn't go with the cabinets and nothing went with the floor.  Then they did a Carrera-looking marble in the master bath, but a black and white marble for the his and hers vanities. Eww.  On the one hand it is nice to see some different styles, but that decorating was way too jarring for me, and even if I liked it at first, I think I'd get sick of it quickly.

I will say the baby boy was adorable, and the house itself was super-cool.  I enjoyed all of the houses that they looked at.

Last night's episode -- I'm surprised that a doula and a "product demonstrator" (apparently one of those people who passes out samples at the supermarket) can afford a $300k house. Maybe they made a lot of money selling their condo in LA, or have family money or something.

It was nice to see a reno that wasn't a kitchen + dining room/open concept dining/living. I do think they may have tried to squish too much into that "super room," if the "office area" is going to be used for actual work rather than just surfing the web. I can see it being difficult to work while your spouse is watching tv and your toddler is running around and yelling and playing in the same room.

• Love 1

I laughed when I heard the term "super room" on the Chicago episode.  The room we called the family room in the house I grew up in served the same purposes - watching TV, there was a typewriter, instead of a computer, on a desk in the corner and we had a bookshelf full of books.  I'm not sure I would have spent money on a sauna, but if they plan to use it a lot, I guess they will get their money's worth out of it.  I don't remember too much else about the rest of the house and I erased the recording before I remembered to go back and look at the initial house tour. 

Reno in Southern California, where she wanted "whimsical" and he wanted Spanish-style.  The couple was actually OK, and I loved what they did with the exterior of their home, which was very plain and all garage.  They took out the standard white 16' garage door and replaced it with 2 wood or wood-looking doors, and then also had a stone veneer put on that level of the house.  Great curb-appeal project.

I liked the wife's choices of tile and granite for the kitchen, which was a great space. Didn't love the master bath tile.  Initially the designer recommended black and white for a classic, vintage feel, but she objected, so then they went with a neutral, tan color palette.  There is so much beautiful tile available ... that was the best they could do?

MoreCoffeePlease, I agree with you about the tile choices.  I was recently in a tile store and was blown away by all of the beautiful choices.  Maybe they were trying to appeal to future buyers and keep the palette neutral.   I thought the external changes were a big improvement.

I'm not sure I understand the point of saunas.  I've never been in one, but am not sure why sitting on a wood bench in a hot steamy space is enjoyable.  When the Chicago couple was putting theirs in, they kept saying it would be great to warm up in there during the winters, and I do understand that because that's why I like taking baths.  I just don't see the appeal of the steamy wood closet.  You can't read while in there, or listen to music, or have a glass of wine.  It doesn't even seem like it would be comfortable to sit in there.

• Love 2
(edited)

It's relaxing and loosens the muscles, fabulous when you have a cold, great after a work out but I am biased because I grew up with them, my grandfather had one put into his otherwise cookie cutter starter home in 1946 and his later houses and my mom insisted on one in the house my parents built when I was 2. Saunas are pretty dry, I always read in the sauna, a paperback book that I don't care if it warps or magazines but even than its the equivalent to reading in a hot tub or hot bath. Now at the gym I listen to music with my Bluetooth headphones (locker room is in range) which I have been doing for years with the same pair with no issues. Growing up we would often put the boombox outside the door at home or my grandparents, later there were speakers inside.

But it's also just a great place to sit with your own thoughts or talk.

Edited by biakbiak

Saunas are dry heat, although you can sprinkle water on the rocks to create a little steam.  I prefer steam rooms to saunas (despite generally hating humidity), but I enjoy both.  And the thing I like better about a sauna is that I can read in there, so, yeah, you can do that.

Not really at all connected to house hunting, but this whole sauna talk just reminds me how almost every episode of that '90s series, Sisters, always seemed to begin with the four of them in a sauna/steam room. God, I feel old. (And if anyone knew of/liked that show, it is coming to DVD on September 15th!)

Okay! Done with my tangent. Back to house hunts, home demands, and the neurotic folks involved that we love/hate/drive us insane!

I loved Sisters.  I remember them in many a steam bath - much to the actors' distress, given what it took to simulate such an environment - but they may very well have mixed it up and congregated in a sauna as well.  Good news on the DVDs, thanks.

• Love 2

When I read Sisters, I had to defuzz my brain and stop remembering it as that show Once and Again. After I got it out of my brain I remembered the Sisters show. Ah, the late 80's early 90's as a twenty something, those were the days, watching Thirtysomething. Ha I loved all three of those shows. I am probably the only person my age who never got on the Friends train though [full body shiver]. It was just so, trendy

Well, I liked Friends (don't kill me!), but I liked Sisters, too. Watched many an episode with my late grandmother, so there's some sentimental value there. So I'm glad it's finally coming to DVD.

And now, I'd better get back to the houses and be a good little mod and practice what I preach.  :-) Sooooo...um, yeah. Renovations. Whatever. All I ever get out of it is smashed walls, etc. If folks have the time and money to do it, great! But I'd be a more turn-key kind of gal.

I really loved the couple in last night's episode.  I'm a fan of Tudors so I was glad they picked that one.  I'm not sure the kitchen could have been done any better because they didn't have much room but it functional when finished.  The first floor did end up very nice.

• Love 1

I agree NYGirl, no over the top drama and the usual unexpected things one finds when redoing an old house.  Looked like that plumbing had not been touched since the house was built, so those issues were not a huge surprise.  The kitchen was a little short on space, but the removal of the wall and a little reconfiguring gave them a bit more counter space which was badly needed.  I wasn't sure about staining the original floors to coordinate with the new kitchen floor, but it came out looking OK.  I would have gone with a different type floor in the kitchen, but that is my taste and they ended up with what they liked and the overall effect was nice.  I loved the fireplace.  They were also space challenged in the upstairs bath, but the finished product looked nice.  How on earth is that man going to walk around in the basement?  Wasn't that the house where he had to tilt his head in most places in the basement?  They were a cute couple. 

I was surprised that they bought that house, too, because of that low basement ceiling that basically prohibits him from using it.  I thought that in the reno perhaps they were going to dig down the basement floor to give themselves at least more head clearance.